Habs aiming to rebound vs. Islanders

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -  "You can look at it two different ways," Canadiens captain Saku Koivu said during yesterday’s day off, the Canadiens’ 4-1 Saturday meltdown against the New York Rangers fresh in his mind. "You have time to regroup and regain the focus but, after a poor game like (the one in New York), you’d like to get an opportunity right away tomorrow to bounce back."

After picking up at least a point in each of their seven previous games (5-0-2), the Canadiens hit a Montreal-sized pothole at Madison Square Garden. So the Habs will try to put Saturday behind them and are making a win Tuesday night against the Islanders a priority.

1. Hoegarden says:

hi CoutNY

Yes, it’s a done deal, according to CBC/Sports;

The deal is for one year and $1.5 million US.

2. MatttheHabsFan says:

Clearly you have taken Pierre McGuire’s advice to “Get Excited!”

3. habsgod says:

IT’S OFFICIAL!!!THE TORONTO MAKE ME LAFFS ARE THE DUMBEST ORGANIZATION IN HOCKEY!!!!!HAHAHAHA…………HOW GOOD YOU NOT HIRE SCOTTY BOWMAN!!THE MAKE ME LAFFS!!SUCK AND ALWAYS WILL!!BOY AM I GLAD I CHEER FOR GOD’S TEAM(THE HABS OF COURSE)ALWAYS HAVE,ALWAYS WILL!!I WAS A HABS FAN FROM BIRTH!!THANK-GOD FOR THAT!!

GOD IS A HABS FAN!!

THIS IS GOD’S TEAM!!!

4. PGHABS says:

I agree.. they could also come out of retirement and be Player-GM’s

5. Scotty90 says:

I’d like that…he’s in my pool! Given that Heatly is also in my pool, i’d like Higgy to really explode.

6. HKisses says:

Yes i agree with Kat….Higgins could easily explode in any of the games comming…..he has alot of speed and skill to do so….So hopefully we will get to see this guy put on a show for his home crowd…….

Hey Kat…U single:P? hahaha jus kidding :):)

7. MatttheHabsFan says:

Tie Domi and Glenn Healy as co-GM’s…that would be ideal

8. MatttheHabsFan says:

I seriously doubt the Flames would be going into the playoffs with Cujo as their #1. Able veteran, capable of playing 5-10 games down the stretch seems more likely.

9. PGHABS says:

I just read a Leaf fans comment and they want Tie Domi as there new GM. Here’s to Bob Gainey

10. Ice Man says:

Interesting.

Maybe he was spoon fed so far. This is the big leagues now baby. He will have to work his butt off to get back up in the NHL.

Price knows now after being up there it is not a bed of roses and it is not like the AHL,the juniors etc.

Price also knows now that his play has to be stellar in order to go back up and to stay back up to be Montreal’s next Ken Dryden………..

11. TradeRyder says:

Wayne played in a better era for goal-scorers. Even he admits that. The game was faster, goalie equipment was much smaller, the Oilers were schooled on offense-first. Kuri said that he’d get in trouble if he didn’t jump in on the rush. A whole different era – we’ll never see a scorer like Gretzky again, unless the team makes the nets bigger or the goalies smaller.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

12. TradeRyder says:

Sounds like a plan.
    _____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

13. JF says:

I’m sure Price will turn it around, but it might not be all that fast. Everything has come easily to him so far; he may only now be realizing how hard an athlete has to work to achieve his potential. There have been questions about Price’s work ethic; Brent Sutter cut him from the junior team because of them. However, I’m sure the coaches in Hamilton will get him on the right track.

14. coutNY says:

Is CUJO a Flame? reports Kuklas Korner

15. TradeRyder says:

To my eye, either Higgins or A. Kost was our best player on the ice on Saturday night. He’s just getting his pace – you’re right he should explode soon.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

16. Bill H says:

Yes, a 3 pt night for Higgins would be sweet Habs-Kat.

17. skoehn says:

Actually sid is the biggest wuss.whiner in hockey you knock him over he curls up in the fetal postion then get up whining wayne had way more class then that…

18. coutNY says:

Actually your right… apologise for the confusion!

19. coutNY says:

I hated Wayne Gretzky! I am glad Sid won’t and ever will be Wayne. Sid encompasses more of what a complete player should be with his added physical element and defensive capabilities. Maybe he won’t match Waynes offensive output but I rather watch Crosby any day! Offensive numbers is only half of the hockey story…Wayne was the biggest wussy in hockey.

20. Habs-Kat says:

I really want to see Higgins explode for a massive game. He’s due and he’s at home on Tuesday.

21. G-Man says:

I must quote Scotty Bowman on this subject. “Statistics are for losers.”
    One other worth quoting on the subject- Disraeli, Prime Minister of Great Britain, “There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics.”

Gilbert

22. ColoradoHab says:

Brisebois and Smokes were both out of the lineup until recently.

The team just happened to get on a roll while they were out.

That is why the stats look as they do. I don’t think we could jump to conclusion that we got hot because they were out.

We could if the guys replacing them were carrying the team during the hot streak.

23. Hoegarden says:

I would not try and decypher. Numbers can be used in many ways.
    The one statistic that matters is when a players steps on the ice; does he turn on the after-burner or not ? Easy to keep track of and no calculator required.

Here’s an example of stats on what a player is worth;
    I am making this us as I type; Let’s use Steve Begin; Everyone knows he plays hard and will bleed for the team on any given night.
    Let’s say Steve gets 50 penalties during the regular season. The norm would indicate that the opposing team would score 10 goals or 20% on those 50 penalties.
    Steve then scores 10 goals during the same period.
    What is his real value to the team ?

24. Ed says:

That’s okay. It’s easy to miss 1 number, especially when there’s so much research involved. It does not take away from the conclusions that can be drawn from the stats that you have provided. Good work!

25. krob1000 says:

I would like to have seen Gretzky’s stats playing on a line with an aged injury effected Petr Sykora and Colby Armstrong. I would never say Gretzky is not the best player of all time but Crosby is not in a situation where he is on a team with four other hall of fame calibre offensive players either (Messier, Coffey, Kurri,Anderson). Gretzky was the best of all time but many players who have been close to both say Crosby could be the kid to rival the records. I believe it. Anytime you watch him play it seems that every time he touches the puck a chance is created. Eventually he will be in a situation where guys can convert and I think he may approach the 175 plus point zone. He will never score like Gretz did but he is the same type of playmaker (if he can continue this for twenty years like Wayne did is another story).

26. ebk says:

15-11-4 with Smolinski. My editoral staff is not up to snuff these days.

27. Hoegarden says:

Why would anyone with half a brain want to get involved with the house that Harry built ???

28. Ice Man says:

Yes he is a great player. But he will never be a Wayne Gretzky. We will never see another one of him.

29. Ice Man says:

I’ll drink to dat. Lets hope dat Price will come back stronger than ever.

30. Infanteer says:

I think, like, he’s a pretty good player. Like, I’d like to see him in my team’s jersey. Should we like trade Ryder for him?

31. Bill H says:

This clarification is also helpful. Thanks Ed!

32. Infanteer says:

Interesting end to the cited article:

“The Hamilton Bulldogs lost to Rochester 7-3 and it wasn’t a good night for goalie Carey Price. He allowed five goals on 13 shots and was pulled at the 11-minute mark of the second period.”

Not good. Faced with the first adversity of his career (Price succeeded at every other level from Midget to Atom to the World Juniors to the Calder Cup), has he lost his confidence?

The exceptional goalies all had one thing in common: the “bounce back” effect. Roy played some miserable games. Dryden could stink out a building. Consistently, though, they bounced back the next game with an epic performance.

Here’s hoping Price turns it around – fast!

33. Ice Man says:

Off topic but:

Sid the Kid is on the cover Men’s Fitness Magazine. It says that Sid will be the next Wayne Gretzky. I think not !!! Not even close. He only has 18 goals so far this season. He is like in 20th place or more in goals scored. But Assist he is like in first I think.

34. Bill H says:

These are interesting statistics and they certainly do point out a tendency. However, there are other factors that can influence how a team plays and I would caution people from jumping to conclusions regarding these numbers. The numbers by themselves do not prove that the Habs are a better team with Smokes and Brisbois out of the lineup BECAUSE they are out, only that they are a better team WHEN they are out.

Please don’t interpret my comments as a complete dismissal of these statistics. I just don’t believe in scapegoating, and I also don’t believe that banishing those 2 players will solve all the problems of the team. I do think that the stats suggest that the 2 players should be included in the press box rotation, and further monitoring of how the team does with and without them in the lineup would be useful.

I am not one to bash management as I believe we are going in the right direction under Carbo and BG, but I agree with some of the posters here that mistakes have been made and Carbo is continuing to learn how best to get the most from the players.

Thanks ebk, for your hard work in putting that together.

35. Ice Man says:

Well I’m no spring chicken.

36. Smart Dog says:

It’s called good protocol. You must be young.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

37. J.T. says:

I know the most common theories are that the team does better when those guys aren’t in the lineup because:
    a) they suck
    b) the guys that replace them when they’re out are better
    c) they don’t necessarily suck outright, but they’re old and can no longer contribute the way they should

I’ll go with B, I think. While I think there’s some merit to the other two, I think O’Byrne and/or Streit when partnered with Hammer make a better pair than Hammer/Breezer. Breezer has some good points, in that he can make a nice first pass and he sometimes makes a smart play to clear the puck under pressure. But he’s also not that fast, he’s soft as a feather pillow on the boards and he gives the puck away in dangerous territory a LOT. He also brings down Hamrlik’s game, because Hammer does a lot of babysitting when he’s out there with Breezer. Otherwise, Brisebois would look a lot worse than he does now.

And I think Chipchura is a better fourth-line centre than Smolinski, regardless of his faceoff percentage. He’s trying harder for one thing, and his errors are learning errors…not lazy errors generally.

I know I feel better looking at a lineup that has Breezer and Smolinski sitting than I do when I see them on the ice. Maybe they’ll turn it around and play a more sound game in the second half…but I’m not betting on it.

38. TradeRyder says:

He’s being very honest, but you also have to be a little political in situations like that. He cant say “sure wish I had that Toronto job”.

He’s reaffirming his loyalties are 100% with Detroit – a job he loves and would find it very hard to leave (I am sure that’s true). But obviously if the right, rare situation came along such as directing the rebuilding of an orginal six team, he would not deny his interest. You have to see this as partly playing a little politics. I’m sure it’s all true though – he loves his job in Detroit – but Detroit doesn’t need rebuilding and Toronto does… that’s a serious temptation. Scotty loves hockey like nothing else.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

39. TradeRyder says:

What about games without Sm & BR. Versus
    Games with 1
    Games with both
    ??

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

40. tleblanc says:

Interesting and it tells me that they should be in the pressbox.

41. tleblanc says:

I don’t think that the statment is inconsistent. He currently has a job which he likes with an organization he is comfortable with. The leafs (or any organization)calls and says we’d like to speak with you. Anybody in their right mind goes to listen to what the discussion would be about. They tell him they would like him to come on board and he says sure as long as I have full control and compensated for those duties. It doesn’t change the fact that you’re happy where you are but can’t be made happy to go somewhere else given certain conditions.

42. Ed says:

Brisebois played 29 games, & team got 29 points or 50% of possible points.
    Brisebois missed 15 games, & team got 23 points or 76.7% of possible points.

Smolinski played 31 games, & team got 35 points or 56.45% of possible points.
    Smolinski missed 14 games, & team got 18 points or 64.3% of possible points.

The discrepancy is much larger for Brisebois, and this is a very interesting stat that you have researched. It appears that the team plays better without them in the lineup. You should recheck the stats for Smolinski as the games played and points earned for him total 45 and 53 respectively, while the Canadiens have played 44 games, & earned 52 points.

Kudos to you for a very interesting stat, which must have taken a lot of research on your part. Thanks again.

43. Ice Man says:

I don’t understand this about Scotty B. Can some one please explain this to me.

The Hall of Fame coach reiterated to the Detroit Free Press on Sunday that he has no plans to leave the Red Wings, the team he has worked for since 1993-94.

“My commitment is with Detroit,” he told the Free Press.

Bowman told Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday that he was interviewed by the Leafs for an executive job last summer, only to be turned away by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO Richard Peddie with three weeks until the start of the season.

Bowman, told MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum that he would come on board with the provison that he had full control over the team’s hockey operations.

So. if Scotty had no plans to leave Detroit, then why was he talking to TO.

I still don’t understand.

44. TradeRyder says:

EBK! You da man!

Couldn’t agree more… read my sig line!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

45. Smart Dog says:

Great stats. Nice digging.

It pretty clearly shows that without these guys in the line-up scoring especially goes up… why is the question? More confidence? Replaced by faster/better/more offensive players?

But is anyone surprised by these stats? I only hope Carbo sees them.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

46. ebk says:

Here are a few non-game day tidbits

With all the harping about Brisebois and Smolinski, thought I would check the team’s record with/without either in the lineup

Brisebois has played 29 games to date, the team has a record of 12-12-5 with him in the line-up. Has scored 77(2.6)goals and given up 86(2.9). With Patrice in the press box, the team is 10-2-3,taken 25 out of a possible 30 points and scored 59(3.9)goals and allowed 40(2.7).

With Smoliski in the line up the Habs are 15-11-5. Without him,7-3-4. The Habs have scored 88(2.9) goals and allowed 86(2.9). While Smolinski was injured, the team scored 48(3.4) goals and allow 40(2.9).

I’m not sure what to make of this, anyone else have an idea.

Thanks for reading

47. coutNY says:

After a bounce back performance in his first appearence against the CRUNCH of Syracuse, Price suffering from a bit of shell shock in his game against Rochester AMERICANS, allowing 5 goals on 13 shots. Chips found success in Hamilton in the game; one of the few successes in the game…

It’s not a game day so I thought this might be a good time to ask. Can anyone tell me how I can get/use spell check when I am writing a comment for this site. I am using Windows XP and I am a computer novice. I don’t see any of the options here like I do on my Hotmail account. I need very basic, step by step instructions. How basic? Well, if you were telling me how to change a flat tire your first instruction would be stop the car. Thanks in advance.

The Original 24 Cups

49. Ed says:

Dave Stubbs, I watched the Victor Davis story last night, and thought it was very well done. It is a very uplifting movie, with a very sad ending. You were right when you said that Mark Lutz did a great job playing the part of Victor Davis. Davis came across as a very strong individual, who was blessed with a great deal of talent, and was surrounded by very level headed individuals. I felt proud as a Canadian watching the reenactments of his performances at different events, especially the Olympics.

It was wonderful that he donated his organs, and they showed where one man got an extra 16 years with Victor’s heart. It must have been very emotional for you to watch this movie, as you worked so closely with him & knew him very well. I also thought it very appropriate to spread his ashes in the ocean, where they can swim forever.

I found it amusing where the coach gave you a kiss when Victor won the gold medal in the 200 meter breaststroke at the Olympics. It was a good show all around.

50. Smart Dog says:

Hey 24,

The spelling isn’t checked by the website. It is checked by the web Browser – the program that is showing you the website. You are probably on Internet Explorer. I don’t know if it does that. If you start using Firefox (download for free at http://www.firefox.com) it is better (crashes less, is better organized) and checks your spelling.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

51. The Cat says:

I dont think at the beginning of the year that management figured the habs would be dictating games with their speed and power play like they have, but yeah this team has morphed into this identity quicker than expected, and Smolinski isnt a good fit anymore. I would like him to be, Ive always liked him as a player.

52. ebk says:

you are correct, sir

any statistic that show Patrice Brisebois is a liability must be a lie. Why all you have to do is watch him play to see that it is a lie.

Well, actually no, it shows up when you watch him as well but well lets just keep thinking he is still a positive asset to the team. If we keep thinking it, its gotta eventually become so, yeah that is it.

53. showey47 says:

pens got outshot badly, worse than the habs did but the difference was their goalie was able to make the big saves.

54. linp says:

TSN also reported that Ovechkin can be available after July 1, 2014 at a price of $10 million per season.

55. CHsam says:

I’m watching the Pens Rangers game right now. Man those two guys are so dangerous.

56. Hoegarden says:

No way, we would have to sit Slowlinski and Kosto.

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

Reason they picked up Cujo is to have some insurance (nhl experience) should Kiprussof get injured.

58. WindsorHab-10 says:

It’s official.

59. WindsorHab-10 says:

You just came up with the sequel to Dumb & Dumber.

60. WindsorHab-10 says:

Come on man, I’m trying to quit.

61. Hoegarden says:

Michel Therrien should send the tape of their 5 on 3 against the Rangers tonight. It took all of 10 seconds to light it up.

62. Hoegarden says:

From the 18h30 SportNews, he’s yet to get the green light from team doctors but he claims he’s ready to go.

63. idle says:

Yes but will he be talking to the media from his office at MLSE or will he be talking from his home?

Actually either way he will still be with MLSE. Just whether he will be in charge of the team or not.

64. westhab says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Begin back in the lineup. When does he get back?

65. idle says:

The Habs are 3′rd in the NHL in scoring. I don’t care whether those come from the power play or not. We suffered through a lot of seasons where we were lucky to score 2 or 3 goals in a game.

I think this team has carried the play more then in previous years and have been able to exploit some quick chances with their speed. I remember watching games in previous years where the other teams would make these fast break outs and pretty passing plays and thinking ‘why can’t we do that instead of getting all of our goals from crashing the net? This season, more then a few times, it has been the Habs that have had some nice rushes and pretty passing plays (good outlet passes at times too)

The power play is a treat to watch.

66. CHsam says:

We need O’Byrne back.

67. Ed says:

It’s interesting that Carolina is now going through what the Canadiens went through last year – “the flu”.

68. JF says:

RDS is reporting that Huet will be in goal for tomorrow night’s game. I hope this is the right decision. It’s true that he usually rebounds after a bad game, but his last few have been only so-so. I would have preferred to see Halak for this one; he needs to play, and he was solid in the third period of the last game.

69. Smart Dog says:

The two previous years he had 18 goals. But he is 36…. that’s when a lot of players of his caliber retire.

And TSN says this under FLAWS:
    Can go long stretches without scoring a goal. Doesn’t use his body to win battles enough. Is declining in terms of production.

Maybe not a good fit for the way this team is winning these days.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

70. TradeRyder says:

He seems to either have just lost it… or he’s beyond caring. Maybe the heat of playing in Montreal is just too much.

I don’t want to open the door to those Carbo-bashers… obviously the guy’s doing a pretty good job overall or we wouldn’t be where we so please no-one jump on this. But one very specific thing that has bothered me all year is the faith he seems to put in the older players as if his support will make the difference in their abilities. I think he’s too close to some of them – Breezer being the classic example, but face it, Dandenault hasn’t come near being our best player on many nights either. And Slowinski – aye carumba! – as you say, who can understand it, but even more, who can understand why he puts him out in a 5-on-3 unless he’s thinking he can score, be the hero, and snap out of his slump. These ‘fairy tale wishes’.. have no place on a professional team.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

71. showey47 says:

i just don’t get why slowinski is so ineffective, he has scored close to 20 goals in 7 of his last 8 seasons and now he is on pace for 4 goals. Breezer, no secret there he was soft in weak in his prime, now he is just old, slow, soft and weak i can’t wait for him to hang them up.

72. Smart Dog says:

Bon idea. What’s the French media saying about Breezer these days? Favoured son? Or expensive paperweight?

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

73. TradeRyder says:

Wow – I just did the other half of the math.

The Habs are 11-3-4 WITHOUT at least one of the two. Wow!

No Slowinski or Breeze-by =
    26 of a possible 36 points or SEVENTY-TWO PERCENT!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

74. TradeRyder says:

Thanks.

That’s the most important single stat in Montreal hockey today.

I hope the powers that be get a hold of it.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

75. coutNY says:

Back to the earlier study of Breezer and Smolinski:

TradeRyder asked what is our record with them both in the line up together…

11-11-4
    26 pts out of possible 52..
    50 % pct.

76. Ice Man says:

Da Dog will tell ya……..He’s a smart Dog.

77. Vecs says:

Who’s C & H?

78. Bill H says:

I guess I need glasses too. Sure looked like an attack on (H)uet and (C)arbo to me. Huet did not play well in the last game of the season last year, and in retrospect it was a mistake to play him instead of Halak. But I don’t understand the value in bringing that up now. Tonight’s game has nothing to do with what happened in that game. btw, I hope to see Halak in net too. We need to find out where his game is and I believe Huet could use the R&R (Rest and Reflection).

79. Ice Man says:

If Huet needs some Rest then Huet should not be our #1 goalie. A # 1 goalie should be able to play more games in a row than Huet and not need a rest. Huet is a professional and should be in shape to handle the job. Huet is good but not great.

80. Bill H says:

Why do people get hung up on what a player should and should not be able to do? What we are learning, from both this year and last, is that Huet plays better with a limited workload. Some goalies play better with a heavier workload (Brodeur being the obvious example), others do better with a lighter workload. It has nothing to do with “being in shape” and being “a professional”. And it has nothing to do with being #1 goalie on the team. Huet has played very well for us, but he has shown that he has certain weaknesses. He has also shown that he is our best goalie this year. So who cares if you call him #1 or #28? We have 3 goalies (at least) that are capable of playing in the NHL. Its just a question of figuring out how best to use those resources, for the good of the team, and for the development of the players. As the season progresses, we are learning more about how to do this and so management is adjusting their strategy. It puzzles me why people find it necessary to put down certain players, in this case Huet, when there has been no indication that the player has done anything less than do his best and do what he can for the team.

81. Ice Man says:

Mr. Bill.

Most posters on HIO think that Huet is Montreal’s #1 goalie. If he is he should be playing 80-85 percent of the games. He should not be classified as a #1 goalie if he has a light workload.

So far Huet has played 6 more games that the back up goaltender. He will have to play more than that to be #1.

Huet is good but not outstanding.

82. Ice Man says:

Chris I agree with you. But be careful. A poster yesterday was blasted for comments such as yours. But he/she was more graphic. But same opinion.

83. coutNY says:

Not Claude! He was one of my favorites… tough as nails and had a bit of scoring touch in his days with Mtl. I wish we had somebody of qualities on our current roster.

84. Chris says:

That’s why he’s borderline….I just hated how often he faked injuries. Depending on my mood, I overlook it or it drives me nuts. :)

85. coutNY says:

Got a point, he did like the dive move a little too much for my liking also!

86. Smart Dog says:

Go Habs! Skate like the wind and you’ll do okay!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

87. RH says:

Heatley’s out also, with a seperated shoulder isn’t he?

The Habs can look forward to the Isles playing that tight checking, and really boring style of hockey that they saw at MSG on Saturday night. Hopefully, they can connect on those long passes, and get a couple of quick goals, early, to take the Isles off there game, like they did last time out.

I can only imagine how good the Isles would be if they had a more talented team, skills wise.

Spezza was hurt in Ottawa’s loss to the Islanders last night. No firm report yet but a mild concussion was a possibility.

The Original 24 Cups

89. Smart Dog says:

And like you said the Isles won. They’ll come in confident; the Habs need to be on their toes. Flyers won last night too so we could really use the points.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

90. Ice Man says:

Halak should get the start in NY. they Brought him up then use him. Halak was good in the games he played last year. He would have took the Habs into the playoffs if he was allowed to play the final game of last season. We all know who spoiled that right! Their names begin with C & H.

91. Smart Dog says:

I agree with you that I hope Halak starts. I think he’s hungry and being less well known the Isles may have more trouble solving him.

But stop this attack on Huet. His stats say he’s one of the best in the league – he has a very good save percentage and a winning record. Whatever he’s doing the numbers don’t lie.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

92. Ice Man says:

I did not attack Huet. Dog, you need stronger glasses to read what is in black and white.

93. coutNY says:

Anyone catch the story RDS put out on target="_blank">SAKU vs. RIBBY from the persprective of Stephan Quintel… this stuff is usually reserved for the pages of the LaPress.

We made a much better choice in Saku. Riberio will fade and be a salary burden on Dallas for yeas to come. He would never have thrived in Montreal. Good riddens Ribby. RDS please stick to respectable pieces, not smear campaigns and contraversy. There was never was a choice if it came down to the 2 of them… Saku is far superior in skill!

94. Chris says:

I pretty much give up on the French media in Montreal…they have made it their mission to chase Koivu out of Montreal, and they will accomplish the goal. Not because they are right…they are a vindictive band of morons who are trying to turn the Canadiens into the French-Canadian version of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Ballard years. But after everything that Koivu has done for the city of Montreal and the Canadiens, I would not blame him in the least for leaving the team when you see the crap he puts up with.

The guy has more leadership and integrity in one of his toenail clippings than his critics. Yet people routinely question whether he is good enough to be captain, of course ignoring the fact that he was selected by his teammates to be the captain, NOT by the franchise. Or that, at the age of 23, he was selected captain by his teammates on the Finnish national team, which included Selanne, Kurri, and Numminen. Or that he was selected in 2006, along with Canadian Beckie Scott, as one of the two new representatives on the IOC’s Athletes’ Commission.

Even if none of the above was the case, I would STILL take Koivu any day over Ribeiro, who remains one of the 4 Habs in my lifetime that I absolutely hated having on the team, a list that also includes Jose Theodore, Gary Leeman (even though it was brief!), and Darcy Tucker. Claude Lemieux is on the borderline of joining those 4. :)

95. Vecs says:

Saku is the man. I’d take him on the bench over Ribs on the ice (at least the Ribs that played for montreal)

96. The Cat says:

Huet should get the start, hes always good off a bad performance. But it shouldnt matter -Habs will win with whoever is in nets.

97. mjames says:

Any news on when Begin will be ready. I think I might like to try him in place of Smolinski. I am not impressed with Smol. He seems slow and certainly is not better than Chips on the faceoffs. I think Begin might bring more speed and energy to the Streit and Dandy line. Smolinski has two goals one of which was in an empty net. I really do not see what he brings to the game. This guy is on par with Sammy minus Sammy’s attitude.

Am I missing something with this guy???? . I could not believe he was out on one of the 5 on 3s.

mjames