Habs aim to end skid; game on RIS

Confirming: tonight’s game will be telecast in French on the RIS network. Check your cable/satellite grid for availability

C’mon, we’re KIDDING about the “skid” headline… it’s preseason, let’s all have some fun!

The Ottawa Senators are at the Bell Centre tonight to face the Canadiens in the Habs’ second game of the preseason. The visitors show a 5-0 win and 4-1 loss in consecutive-night games against Toronto, while the Canadiens dropped a 4-2 decision to Boston to open their exhibition season.

The Senators’ lineup for tonight:

• Goaltenders: Pascal Leclaire, Mike Brodeur.
• Defence: Eric Gryba, Erik Karlsson, Geoff Kinrade, Chris Phillips, Craig Schira, Patrick Wiercioch.
• Forwards: Cody Bass, Eric Condra, Kaspars Daugavins, Mike Fisher, Colin Greening, Ryan Keller, Chris Kelly, Alex Kovalev, Francis Lessard, Corey Locke, Peter Regin, Jarkko Ruutu.

Boone will blog the action live, Stubbs will be on Twitter through the game beginning late afternoon, before committing a column, and Hickey will type the game story and Habs dressing-room for The Gazette, his words to be linked here.

If you don’t get RIS TV, pretend it’s the early 1950s and hear CJAD radio’s Rick Moffat and Sergio Momesso call the action here beginning at 7:30.

1. CP31 says:

Thanks, I’m glad to see that some TRUE HABS FANS can understand the simple logic of supporting your team with cheers not jeers!

As mentioned by another poster about my comment about Roy, naturally the fans getting on Roy against Detroit wasn’t the sole reason for his departure but it was definitely “the icing on the cake”

As if that Roy schmozzle wasn’t enough, could you imagine we lose another “potential” great goalie due to the ignorance of the fans!?!?!?!?

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

2. Mattyleg says:

I don’t know what you’re basing your ‘wager’ on, but I’m sure it’s from a very reliable source.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. Mattyleg says:

That makes no sense.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. G-Man says:

They are only allowed to broadcast short segments. Otherwise, they’d be RDS.

5. G-Man says:

Nice to hear again from the 19th century! I’m glad we (sort of) left it behind. Cheers!

6. Bob Dobbs says:

And it can definitely encourage the opposing team.

7. mike g says:

You’re right,….

Maybe we should create a website together and mix our ideas, this way we don’t forget anything.

Damn, I just realized I didn’t even mention Stevie Y in my post!!!! Well anyways, I’m hearing that he’s submitting a proposal to the league today, in order to have last night’s loss to the Oilers switched into a win for the Lightning. Apparently, he didn’t dress his best players on purpose so that the new Oilers could look great in their debut at home in Edmonton. And of course since he’s Stevie Y, he thinks this nice gesture merits a reward; so he’d demanding for the win. It might just happen, it’s hard to refuse wishes of the best GM in NHL history.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. derfab says:

Thank you. Someone who has played. I’d just add that whatever vibe is sensed, there is always another one on the ice that the players alone create and deal with.

9. derfab says:

I don’t mean to upset or offend you, just to make the point that, language laws aside, you can be proud of this place. Booing is a reflex where voices can’t be distinguished. It’s actually superior, in my opinion, to yelling out or exchanging insults and shouldn’t embarrass anyone but the people who catch themselves doing it all the time.

10. showey47 says:

A youngster filled line up will play much more hungry then a vet filled one at this time of year. It will be a tough game.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Haha, love the Boucher and Price stuff.

You forgot to mention how the masters of conspiracy, Auld and Mayer will be in nets tonight because they colluded with Price and the management to get Desjardins out of town

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. TomNickle says:

Check in the 1200’s or the early to late 100’s.

13. Psycho29 says:

I noticed almost all of your posts contain something descriminating about the French…

I’ve always said there are more separatists outside Quebec than in Quebec. Thanks for proving my point….

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Only bits of the game, you want it all, you’re going to need to crank up the radio.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. mike g says:

Mike G’s Friday Morning NHL Observations….

– Last night I was watching the Oilers-Lightining game on TSN. I got my welcome back dose of Ray Ferraro, and man that guy just hasn’t learned when to talk and when to shut his mouth. I’m sure he’s trying to do the best job he can possibly do, but he just always sounds arrogant, mixed with the good ‘ol “back when I was playing” syndrome. Memo to you, Ray: Nobody cares about your playing days, and stop trying to compare your experiences to those of every single other player. Taylor Hall and every other highly touted rookie will not have the same exact experience and pressure like you did. You were never expected to save a franchise, so don’t you even think your experience is comparable. In the great words of men sharing the same heritage as myself,…..MAAA SHAT APPA YOU FACE!

– Getting back to the game itself, the NHL suffered a great loss last night. It’s not everyday we see things like this happen, especially to such special people who are icons and almost religious figures in some parts of the world. But we knew that sooner or later this was perhaps going to happen; Guy Boucher lost his first NHL game. I couldn’t believe it, and I’ll admitt to all you grown men that I cried. But then when I came to think of it, in the end I’m sure it will make him a better person.

– There seems to be something very strange in the air these days. On three consecutive nights, the last three Montreal Canadiens goaltenders have allowed a total of 12 goals in just 6 periods of hockey. Jaroslav Halak allowed 3 in half a game, Caribou Price (I own the exclusive rights to that name) allowed 4 in half a game, and yesterday Dan Ellis allowed 5 in his 1st full game with Tampa. This is beginning to be a worrisom trend for a franchise known to produce such great goaltenders.

– Speaking of Dan Ellis, WTF DUDE??!! The greatest franchise in NHL history signed you to a contract this summer, and that’s how you thank them? 5 goals?!! I got into an argument with my gf last night because of this tweeting addicted fellow. When he let in the 1st Oilers goal, I jumped off the couch and started booing Ellis. My gf’s parents were sleeping, so this was very rude of me. She then asked me what in the heck I was doing, and I replied: “Excuse me, but I pay $4.99 per month to get TSN HD. That’s alot of money for just one channel. And if I’m not happy with the way this former Hab is playing, I have the right to boo!”.

– In non hockey related news, my gf kicked me out of her house last night following my pre-season goal celebration. She called me this morning and asked if I had changed, and if I was ready to be the #1 person I could possibly be. I told her that I’m more mature now, stronger mentally, and that I’ve put on 12 pounds of muscle since last night. She was convinced, and everything seems to be fine. And just a little FYI, check out these stats: She’s my 5th gf, we’ve been going out since 2005, and back in the days when we 1st started going out I was in much better shape and considered a thoroughbred. Notice any relation to a certain someone?

Anyhoo, good morning.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. derfab says:

Apparently true. But they do regularly shoot their own presidents.

17. fbkj says:

if your saying its about time why did you try and paint it as arrogance?

18. Natrous says:

I can see both sides to the argument – as a player, I never heard the crowd when the play was in action, but between the whistles and on the bench, there’s nothing to focus on and the crowd noise eventually makes its way into your focus.

Either way, the players on your bench at the time hear the positive/negative vibe from the crowd, which in turn generates momentum in one way or another…

19. Harani says:

Is it gonna be the whole game on RIS or the choppy one last time.

“It must be love!”

20. RiverviewCanadien says:

Not in New Brunswick…if anything, it gets worse every day.

21. derfab says:

If I watch, will they be able to investigate me for tax evasion?

22. Jbird says:

That’s just what we need here. French Jokes – Thanks for that.

23. smiler2729 says:

Oh I totally agree BUT those 25 or 50 or so idiot boobirds are never drowned out. There is never a reaction from the 20,000 others.

When the morons start booing a player, let’s say Carey Price, they should be drowned out by a “Carey! Carey!” chant or whatever to let the guy know in his own building that he has support. Boo the ref, the opposition, or even the home team if they have no shots on goal after 15 minutes but for the most part let’s support the guys we have and not drive ’em down.

We’re lucky, Montreal has a team with heart and character now for the first time in almost a decade, quality free agents have come here, let’s not blow this!

24. Habsrule1 says:

That’s a huge generalization and one that I disagree with completely. If anything, French people are more laid back….except when it comes to the language issue….and even that is getting less & less every day.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

25. smiler2729 says:

Americans don’t boo their own anthem.

26. HFX-HabFan says:

The “us vs them” concept that you speak of is certainly not “mine”, nor do I necessarily endorse it.  It has been going on forever.  I am simply pointing out that French people tend to be more dramatic and therefore make a bigger deal out of insignificant things.

27. smiler2729 says:

What are you talking about?

28. derfab says:

Right. People in Texas or California or New York just wait for Washington to tell them how to behave at sports events.

29. Tobiass says:

Agreed, stand up to them I say. Absolutely nothing wrong with what he said, it needed to be said.

30. matraque says:

The kid needs to stop some pucks and it will be all good.  Everyone knows that.

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

If the Sens put one in early tomorrow, it’s game over.  We all know that… Worst part is that Price himself knows it.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

31. HFX-HabFan says:

I’m not leaving out anglo fans, but I would wager more franco fans do the booing.  The common denominator is probably amount of alcohol consumed more than anything.

Think of other pro sports towns.  Philly is just garbage, so it’s no surprise that their fans act the way they do.  Yankees fans can be brutal but I think it’s the same sense of self-entitlement that Habs fans have- they’ve been spoiled by success in the past.

Other than that though, which towns actually regularly boo their players at the slightest signs of trouble?  Why do Montreal fans embarass themselves by protesting in a childish way?

32. JIMVINNY says:

There was absolutely nothing arrogant about what he said yesterday.  he didn’t “went” from anywhere to anything else.

33. Storm Man says:

Cough Cough…… The fan’s had nothing to do with Roy’s departure, You must have been alseep.

34. derfab says:

Identical, no doubt. I bet they both also know how to yodel pretty well under those steamed-up visors.

35. avatar_58 says:

DATS DE JOKE

36. Habsrule1 says:

25 fans booing in a silent arena can sound very loud. fact is there is no reason to try to defend such a small minority. I guarantee there are just as many or more idiots in the city that your wife is from (no offense).

37. matraque says:

It’s about time…

Let’s all hope those balls will help him stop some pucks!

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

38. RGM says:

Also, their right to remain silent.

39. derfab says:

I don’t own any players.

40. Chuck says:

Can a 1-game losing streak be considered a “skid”?

41. fbkj says:

no he growed a pair and finally called out the douches who unfairly rag on him

42. derfab says:

Ya, let’s walk around town with a baseball bat and look for someone who won’t swear allegiance to the Queen.

43. derfab says:

Get a grip. Are 20,000 people gathered together in one building supposed sit quietly and pretend they are descended from nobility?

That you would attempt to associate my comments about making noise at a pro hockey game with various forms of repugnant self-indulgent hatred says more about your thoughts than mine.