Habs add John Madden to scouting staff

John Madden

John Madden, here with the Florida Panthers last season.
Eliot J. Schechter/NHLI via Getty Images

The Canadiens have added former NHLer John Madden to their staff, in charge of scouting and evaluation of free agents at the U.S. collegiate level.

A little more here, with more to come when the team makes the official announcement.

1. RobertAlanFord says:

My condolences to all my fellow Quebecers.

edit: Just a thought but if QC does separate at some point, where does that leave the eastern provinces?

@RAFord77

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Frontenac

…if We have to look forward to Marois and minimum 4 years of Russian Roulette with Our economy and Federalism …We will need something much stronger than Scotch

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

Never !!! Post your name address email/phone number on the Internet if you are not a business or professional

…the longer You have been using the Internet, the less naive You should be …but some people never learn

…in the early dayz of HIO, our e-mail contacts were available to whomever looked-up Your bio

…i was gob-smacked one evening a couple years ago when I received an unsolicited e-mail from Randy Andy Berkshire. …when He was a ‘newbe’ on HIO …using the 4 letter word for fornication every second word

…it was My initiation with Andy, and I learned My lesson quick not to make public personal information, even within a special community like HIO

4. Boomer says:

Any chance both sides just call it even and go 50/50? at the end of the day they’re all still rich…
    And if there is a lockout, players can go play overseas yea? so wouldn’t the owners be the one’s who stand to lose here? (besides us fans).
    my head hurts…

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
    Hobo with a laptop

5. otisfxu says:

I keep saying-you can sign scouts and front office anytime-how about signing one of the best young d-men in the league???

6. frontenac1 says:

CBC predicting PQ govt.! Bastards! Frontenac is switching to Scotch.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

Go Liberals Gooo !!!!!!!!!

Given results have changed! I have erased my jinx.

Edit: Sorry JayK,

9. Chrisadiens says:

Let it be known that nobody should ever harass anyone on this site. We are a family and we stick together. I have forged some friendships with several people on this site that I never thought I would over a mere internet forum. We may disagree from time to time but never is it acceptable to take it to the next level. There is no fathomable reason to ever harass or threaten anyone here.

Rant over….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• commandant says:

Absolutely.

Well said Chris.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• db says:

I’m not a very vocal member and I always seem to be somewhere other than Montreal during the summits (I think I’ll be around this year, please let there be hockey) but nowhere else have I found such a tight community, one that’s given back to the community to boot. I feel like part of this family, even though I’ve remained very anonymous over the last 5 years. Good show sticking together, you show that internet bully!

• Timo says:

I do not disagree, but you’re saying this because….?

• HabFab says:

Read previous post and the post from Sholi, you missed crap while fishing in Siberia ;)

• Timo says:

Damn. I always miss the good stuff.

• HabFab says:

Sadly don’t believe this one is over.

PS you are one of the posters from HIO that he claims to be when posting to other blogs and media comment sites in case no one had informed you.

• Bozo McBozo says:

You ARE the good stuff!

• HabFab says:

What are you doing on the 12th and 13th? Both the NHLPA players meeting and NHL Board of Governors meeting are in your town. If you could arrange for them all to be locked in a large room with only water, the rest of us would greatly appreciate it!

• Bripro says:

You might want to lock Frank in that room as well.
            Especially since he’s “bazinga”ing me! ;)

• HabFab says:

Excuse me, Burly called the ‘bazinga”

Showing PQ – 17, LIB -12, CQ – 8 at this point…ugh!

• Bripro says:

Yeah OK.
            And who was quick with the rebuttal when I amiably pointed out that you were a little rusty?
            Don’t try and back out now!
            I’ve got you in my sights!!!
            All three of them!

• commandant says:

To add to what HabFab said. Timo is not just one of the posters the person from Pougheskeepie tries to impersonate…. On my site Timo has been his favorite target, used most often by far.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Timo says:

Wow. I feel almost… popular :)

• Habfan10912 says:

Proud of my boy!!!!

———————————–

• Boomer says:

*Virtual Hug my bromosapiens*

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

• JohnBellyful says:

People who engage in the kind of harassment Sholi has described defy understanding. Sholi has reacted responsibly to protect himself and let’s hope the authorities will have the means and the will to put a stop to this nonsense.
      The Net’s a wonderful place to spend time in; the only trouble is that it brings losers out there right into your home.

10. smiler2729 says:

Cool, Madden’s a character guy who knows hard-nosed hockey.

Is the CBA shit over yet?

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Do you think Phil is enjoying his time in Russia? In light of the recent report that the KHL was considering offering him a position within the KHL, I would say he is having a great time.

12. I’m not saying one side in these negotiations is completely right and the other is completely wrong. But I don’t understand how some folks can say that the owners (and not the players) take on all the risks, and therefore should be entitled to a bigger piece of the pie.

The players take a huge financial risk by dropping out of school and forgoing their educations and the development of marketable skills, on a hope beyond hope that they’ll make it to the big time. The vast majority never do. All along the way — and even once they get there — they risk life-altering injury by skating around at breakneck speed in a league where concussions are skyrocketing, and where a thug like Lucic can run a goalie without so much as a penalty.

The players also know that most of them — the 3rd/4th-line Darches, Staubitzes and Ryan Whites out there — will be lucky to rack up three or four seasons making $300k after taxes, agent fees, etc., and that after that, they’ll never make another penny from hockey again. So they earn, say, $1M lifetime — enough to live on, sure, but they’re not exactly zillionaires. After that, a few end up working as coaches and scouts, but most of them have no marketable skills, no post-secondary education and no professional future outside of charity golf tournaments.

None of this is to minimize the risk of investing in an NHL team — just to say that the players take on plenty of risks of their own. And frankly, I don’t remember hearing about any NHL owners who got concussed into oblivion…

• Un Canadien errant says:

The owners are little more than the pimps in this relationship. The pimp’s employees are the product, they’re the attraction. The employees are what people are paying for. Nobody’s shelling out any money because the pimp is somehow involved. Nobody’s better off because of him, because of what he brings to the equation. Yet somehow he takes a big big cut of the proceeds. In fact, he’s nothing more than a parasite.

• I’m not against the capitalist model as a whole — there is a financial risk that the owners incur and they should be able to make a reasonable profit. But the vast majority of NHL players aren’t making $7M a year, and don’t play for very long. For the owners, who are pullign in record revenues right now, to try to pay the players less, is just plain wrong.

• remi_10069 says:

I’m with you…compared to other jobs, much higher risk. System needs to be setup such that they can afford to live after having played a certain # of years. Shouldn’t be looking at the top $$$ guys but the 70% and below guys who are not as “rich” as everything thinks. Yes they make more than regular people but they should considering the “service” they are offering.

pipes

• HabFab says:

Wow! Wow and Wow!!

• Timo says:

I try to make it easy for myself. Eff them all… on both sides. Greedy pigs. I want NHL hockey back on TV.

13. habsfan0 says:

Is it just me,or does John Madden look like Roger Clemens’ brother?

Minus the injections Rogers buddy used to insert? ;-)

• Bripro says:

Speaking of athletes who break the law, how’s your QB doing?
        …. just sayin’….

(yawns) are we still going on about this? Do we need to bring up the fact Patriots can’t win the big game since Spygate?

• Bripro says:

OK First “Bazinga” and now “yawn”.
            Wow Gerry…. nice to see you’re making such an effort to be on my good side.
            Hmmm
            I’ve already had too much to drink and it’s only tuesday.
            But the way I figure it, tomorrow, this province will belong to the Quebec Liquor Commission (SAQ) and the price of Guinness (being an Irish beer) will quadruple unless they france-cise the label.
            So I’ll be nice, because right now, I’m not too coherent and you’re still my friend….
            even if you’re mean to me.

Good luck tonight Bri, I hope for the best for all of you folks living in Quebec.

• HabFab says:

LIB -29
            PQ -24
            CAQ -17

After 30 minutes, could be tight.

14. JayK-47 says:

Another scout…? Awesome. You can never, EVER have too much intel.

Gawd, I love this new management group!

So Ron Maclean does not believe we will see a work stoppage.

Given John Madden was one of those players whose work ethic and effort allowed him to make the NHL and excel as a leader, I think he is a good fit to become a qualified scout. I know there are exceptions of talented players becoming good coaches, but seems most of the better ones knew the tough road to get where they eventually got.

Like the hiring, especially like the fact the Habs are spending the money in areas where they can utilize their wealth with cap hit. We should be in a position to have scouts in most areas so as not to miss anyone.

17. frontenac1 says:

Phew! When I saw the headline,I thought it was the other John Madden. BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. ooder says:

so before i was on the players side..but now i think that the owners and bettman are in the right.
    to give 57% to the players is ludicrious… the owners take all the financial risk..every last penny. when it comes to money they deserve to have more

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• HabFab says:

Both right and both wrong…need to compromise somewhere in between.
      My opinion prior to today was the league needed 4-5% more of the overall share to make money based on what figures and information I could find.
      Now Renaud reports today that the NHL teams claim to have lost a combined $240 ML over the past year. This works out to 4-5% over that period.
      I expect that the NHL is looking for a 50-50 split based on their first proposal being double that… ie players dropping from 57% to 43% or 14 % points. The middle ground would be a 7% reduction or 50%.

• newbrunswick troy says:

thats my take as well , from what i have learned in buisness over the years , it is common to try and budget only 40 -45 % on payrole , clearly the players are playing a game here of posturing . But it is posible that the owners are inflating thier costs as well to cry hard times.

• Gerry H says:

The players are the product. What that basically means is that the owners are working with a cost of good sold of 57%. That’s far from unusual in the business world. Some retailers, like grocery chains, have a cost of goods sold of about 95%. Others are much lower. Manufacturers will typically have a cost of goods sold of anywhere between 20% and 50%.

We could argue about where the NHL fits on that spectrum, but I don’t see a ton of value-added by the owners in comparison to most other types of businesses.

Understand the concept of your point, but part of the Cost of Goods Sold in the NHL includes extravagant arenas, coaches, managers, equipment, scouts, arena staff, training staff, practise facilities, travel cost, advertising costs etc….. Agree that the end product is the players, but if the players were all it took they would have started their own league long ago.

• Gerry H says:

But all those things are used to put the product on the market and sell it. Not unlike the staff, advertising and bricks and mortar buildings that grocers pay for to sell us our food. None of that matters to me, if they don’t have my fresh asparagus and prime rib roasts. Likewise, arenas and marketing mean squat to me without the best hockey players on Earth.

I know it’s an imperfect analogy, HiB, and I don’t want to over-sell the point, but I think there are a lot of ways of looking at this.

Yah I do understand your point, I just think if it is just the sizzle of the steak, then perhaps the players should start their own league. Don’t get me wrong I am NOT defending the owners, I happen to think Bettman served his purpose and has overstayed his welcome. I can’t listen to what he has to say, his condescending way of talking to people has long grown old on me. The owners I believe made colossal mistake in renewing his term, thus feeding his alter ego. I know he answers to the owners, but he has his own ego to feed along the way. It is clear to me he cares not about the game, but only his next contract.

I still believe the powerful owners are willing to live with a deal similar to the last CBA. The question is, how much power do the weaker sister owners have, I think once the 15th of Sept. hits, the big boys tell Gary to get a deal done quick or start looking for a new job.

Donald Fehr is out to prove he has a bigger piece of manhood than Gary and is ready to go to war. I think this current fight is about two individuals ego’s more than finding an agreement palpable for both sides.

• Gerry H says:

Can’t disagree with any of that.

Here’s hoping Ron Maclean has this right.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ooder, every single respected hockey reporter and analyst believes the owners are completely dishonest in their dealings with the players. It’s the players who have presented reasonable proposals for discussion. So look around you, and decide if you really want to hang out with reprehensible characters like Ed Snider.

———————————————————————–
      This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post.

19. Bripro says:

So the love-in with former Devils players continues.
    They should have Madden and Gomez trade places.

• newbrunswick troy says:

ha , love that idea.
      however , and trust me i hope i,m correct.. i have a feeling that Gomer will actually have good year… new management , new coach , new line mates , and most of all the pressure to perform or head home and crab fish.

• Habfan10912 says:

Speaking of you know who, just read an article that says the odds of him scoring the cup winning goal are 422,510. Much worse then the odds for his hole in one which are 12,000 to 1.

———————————–

20. HabFab says:

KHL starts season and Russian NHL stars are welcome to come home;

21. Phil C says:

Another former player with a winning pedigree, MB is doing a nice job building his staff. It will take a few years to see the results, but after last season, I think I have more patience as a fan.

Maybe Madden should coach them on face-offs too, Habs were 25th in the league last year.

22. HabFab says:

Who was the youngest Hab Captain?

engelheather – Answer: Based on media guide, youngest-ever #Habs captain was Howard McNamara, 22, in 1915-16.

23. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – League source indicated to me that the NHL as a whole is losing a significant amount of money.
    RenLavoieRDS – Another one said close to $240 million lost total, in the last 2 seasons.
    RenLavoieRDS – NHLPA don’t agree with their losses info, but are proposing a system to address some individual team issues.

24. HabFab says:

Nice article from Stubbs on Darche and his experience being involved in the CBA negations;

25. HabFab says:

Habsfuture: Charles Hudon will be out 2-4 weeks (ankle) per le Quotidien. Could be back in time for season opener on 21st of September. He was checked out by Hab medical people today.

26. geo_habsgo says:

First!

But wow do we have a lot of scouts now! Don’t know if this is actually a lot or if we were just severely undermanned in the old regime. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen!