Habs acquire defenceman Weaver from Panthers; Price back on ice

The Canadiens have acquired defenceman Mike Weaver from the Florida Panthers in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick in 2015.

Weaver, a 5-foot-10, 183-pounder who shoots right, has played 55 games with the Panthers this season, picking up six assists and 23 penalty minutes to go along with a minus-9. He has 101 hits and 94 blocked shots while averaging 18:47 of ice time. Four Canadiens have more hits this season than Weaver: Alexei Emelin (137), Douglas Murray (118), P.K. Subban (111) and Lars Eller (110).  Four Canadiens have more blocked shots: Josh Gorges (171), Andrei Markov (140), Subban (100) and Douglas Murray (97).

In 585 career regular-season games, the 35-year-old Weaver has 7-79-86 totals and 213 PIM. (Photo above is of Weaver checking Habs’ Max Pacioretty during game last season.)

“This is actually my first time being traded,” Weaver said on the Canadiens’ website. “I was at Pittsburgh’s training camp and I was picked up on waivers by Vancouver and that’s the closest I’ve been to a trade. Fortunately over the years I haven’t really had to deal with this but it’s an exciting situation going into an Original Six team that’s in a high spot in the standings and in a playoff position. I’m really excited to be coming to Montreal.”

The Panthers also placed former Canadien Scott Gomez on waivers Tuesday. In 29 games this season, the 34-year-old Gomez has 1-7-8 totals and is minus-9. It was also reported Tuesday afternoon that the Panthers had acquired goalie Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for goalie Jacob Markstrom and forward Shawn Matthias.

The NHL trade deadline is at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The Canadiens held an optional practice Tuesday afternoon in Segunda, Calif., with seven players taking part at the beginning. Goaltender Dustin Tokarski was joined by Lars Eller, Ryan White, Francis Bouillon, George Parros, Brandon Prust and Michael Bournival. After undergoing some medical treatments for his lower-body injury, goalie Carey Price joined them. Price, who has missed all four games since the Olympic break with the injury, spent about 15 minutes on the ice with goalie coach Stephane Waite. He plans to skate on his own again Wednesday.

Coming off a 2-1 loss in Los Angeles Monday night, the Canadiens continue their four-game West Coast road trip Wednesday night when they visit the Anaheim Ducks (10 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Peter Budaj will make his fifth straight start in goal replacing Price.

“It felt good to get on the ice,” Price told reporters in California after practice. “It’s coming down to the important part of the year and I want to go into this stretch 100 per cent. I’m feeling good and progressing. The last 20 games of the year are a real mental grind and I want to make sure I’m prepared for the rest of the year and the playoffs. We still have a lot of hockey left this year and I want to make sure I’m good to go. It’s manageable but I want it to be 100 per cent before we go into the important stages of the year.”

After Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens travel to Phoenix to face the Coyotes on Thursday (9 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) before wrappingup the trip Saturday in San Jose against the Sharks (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Wilfredo Lee/The Associated Press)

Price ‘making progress’ on lower-body injury, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Practice report, Canadiens.com

Changing on the fly for new Hab Weaver, Canadiens.com

Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers, NHL.com

Trade Tracker, NHL.com

Big names could be available at deadline, NHL.com

Players in play at trade deadline, TSN.ca

How it feels to be traded (video), Sportsnet.ca

1,719 Comments

1. adamkennelly says:

holy crap on Marty St-Louis…he must’ve been really pissed off at Yzerman.

• on2ndthought says:

Sather wanted to get rid of Callahan more than Yzerman wanted to get rid of St-Louis

“a cannonading drive”

• Forum Dog says:

While I think Tampa did alright, Rags get a proven RW who is under contract for one more year at a reasonable cap hit. Less than what Callahan allegedly wanted anyway…..

The picks that were thrown in were a bit much, but nice job there by Yzerman.

2. Habfan17 says:

If Tampa can get a first a second and Callahan for St Louis, what do you think MB could get for Markov?

Habfan17

• mrhabby says:

a boat load of pics/players the whole shabang..

do it MB..time to really start making changes ..gonna happen sooner or later.

• Jocko says:

These are the kind of trades made when Panic sets in. I like Marty, but think the Rangers salvaged too much of the future for a guy on the downside of his career. Without Stamkos, how will Marty’s numbers be affected?

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

3. Marek says:

Marty for callahan

4. mrhabby says:

Callahan traded for Marty..wowow,

5. Kooch7800 says:

Wow the marty deal is done and he is a Ranger. I used to really like Marty but demanding a trade to one team just because you were not picked for team Canada…kind of a B*tch move

“Lets Go Canada”

6. jimmy shaker says:

This has to be on MB’s mind:

Eller, Gorges, a 1st rounder and take your pic of the hamilton 3 to buffalo for moulson and myers.

Shake and bake and I’m done!

@Ron regarding Edit feature. In my experience when I use my Ipad I cannot edit. Also when I browse on HI/O using windows explorer I cannot edit. However, when browsing with Chrome, no problems editing.

8. mrhabby says:

Heatley to flames for Mike C.

Iam calling it.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Haha, that’s a new one.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

CONNNFIRMMMEDDD

Confirmed

10. HabsPooch says:

Conacher a Sabre…

11. Hstands4Hockey says:

St. Louis to NYR for Callahan confirmed.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

Jay Feaster on TSN now, wonder if he is explaining the details of what goes into making an offer to an RFA?

13. habs-fan-84 says:

I just hope that at the end of the day Parenteau is NOT a Hab.
    That is all, carry on.

14. mrhabby says:

Weiss and Weaver that’s it folks.

15. Psycho29 says:

OMG! There hasn’t been a trade yet!! OH THE HUMANITY!

Please make a trade….any trade, so the Interweb can implode like it did after the DreamWeaver™ trade yesterday!!!!

16. mdp2011 says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
    No official confirmations (yet) but hearing NYR are prepared to trade Callahan, plus 1st rd pick and 2nd rd pick for Marty St. Louis. Close.

17. shiram says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud

Canadiens are trying to trade Rene Bourque. They want a quality foward in return. NYI-Kings-Avalanche are interested. #tvasports

18. mdp2011 says:

Take it for what it is worth.

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 1m
    Avs-Habs could be trying to get something done.

• Psycho29 says:

Isn’t he the same guy who said PK was being traded for Parenteau a while back?

• mdp2011 says:

No, not the same guy. Dater works for the Denver Post and is really close to the Avs.

• Luke says:

Not to defend it, because it was dumb, but the rumour was PA + picks and prospects for PK.

So, in that rumour you’d look at PA as a warm body and salary offset, while the picks and prospects are never clear, but the vaguery allows the value to be made up here.

And That’s how you make a decent fake trade rumour.

“Hearing Chris Stewart to the Habs for Bourque plus a pick and prospect is being discussed.”

19. BleedsTri-colour says:

Why is there no interest in Alex Burrows coming to the Habs? Seems like an opportunity to pick him up for a bit of a bargain (just a pick or two should do it). I know he has had a tough season, but it might be worth a pick to see if coming to Mtl could revive his career. Or would he just be another Franco player on the back end of his career who underachieves with the Habs (ie. Briere, Tanguay, …) Worth it??

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Because he has 0 goals this year and makes 4.5million for the next 4 years. But he speaks French, so who knows.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• bellcentre hotdog says:

Alex Burrows … bites fingers … pulls hair … 0 goals this year … I can’t figure it out either, this player has nothing but upside …

• sackabooboo says:

We could then re-sign Scotty Gomez and have a line that won’t score a goal well into the 2015-16 season! Put Parros on the line and we could really have something…

_______________________________________________________
      Let’s trade Price…been a long time since the Habs have been fleeced….I miss it.

Gaborik to LA.

24 Cups has just been traded to Antigua.

Screw you, old man winter.

22. Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Really like a Montreal – Winnipeg trade today. Consider:

Jets on an amazing playoff push, Scheiffele goes down last night, looks bad. Need a CENTRE. Montreal, one centre too many, Eller the type of player and contract status the Jets need (city can’t attract UFAs, better trade for RFAs).

Bergevin and Chevy, both came up in the Chicago system, both yet to make a significant trade since getting the job, minor trade history already.

Eller + Tinordi for Byfuglien (or something close to that)?

———————————————————————————-
    “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

• BleedsTri-colour says:

No, NOT Byfuglien! Will not help us. He hurts as much as he helps. We can do better…

• JUST ME says:

You may be on to something considering that i think that if with a big IF Bergevin moves it will be with a different actor from the gm`s usual eastern country club and thus involve a totally unexpected player. I believe that he will not touch any youngster from our already thin farm team and exclude Tinordi,Beaulieu and all the other ones to join Hamilton next season. Those coming from the previous management like Leblanc, Blunden and those of that crop may be available.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Never happen, but would love to get Trouba and Wheeler.

23. Luke says:

How come there isn’t a “Happy Trade Deadline Arguing Day” Thread?

Good News for Tampa, they just re-acquired the best goal scorer in the NHL. Stamkos cleared to play.

25. Kooch7800 says:

According to the so called insiders there is a few teams after Bourque…LA, Isles, Colorado.

I have a bad feeling we are going to end up with PA Paranteau

“Lets Go Canada”

26. Dunboyne Mike says:

Wow, tense, waspish atmosphere in here today.

27. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m an idiot… Just say Jose Theodore on TV, his hair is beautiful, I started losing mine at the time of the propecia scandal.. Now look at me, I have a Getzlaf do! Thank goodness I found my lady prior

28. stephen says:

Here’s something to think about…

Roberto Luongo left the Panthers about 8 years ago because he wanted a legitimate chance to win.

8 years later, he’s traded back to the Panthers, who are hardly any closer to winning than they were when he first left.

Yeesh. Ugly.

29. adamkennelly says:

Vanek or Moulson?

30. Hstands4Hockey says:

Gaborik to LA. Trade Pending.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

31. CH Marshall says:

Any CONFIRMED rumours about DD? even salacious ones?

32. Storman says:

Watching this boring ass trade center from the hospital, my boy swallowed some coins.

33. nunacanadien says:

MB is just another floater of a GM. He is not interested in a cup. If he was, he would stop acquiring this small washed up players no one wants. When are we gonna get a Marty St.Louis type player in Montreal?

Okay, so I was fine with the Habs making no moves today, I have changed my mind. We need something new to chew on here. Even the Weaver trade has fizzled out producing anything.

Dustin Tokarski for Tim Thomas, insurance for Price. Thomas is going to love the politics in Montreal and Canada as a whole.

35. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

The angel feels a trade coming up…

36. habs1992 says:

Islanders and Habs are talking, Eller and 2nd for Vanek

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

37. Je ne comprends pas says:

Move Plex and maybe Markov.
    Stop being so conservative.
    Let the yutes FLY.
    Let the chips fall where they may.
    C’mon!!!!!

38. Habfan17 says:

Is it just me, or is there a real lack of any real insider information on TSN Trade centre? I mean, these guys are supposed to be insiders and they throw out the same names and no word of who they have heard may be available to get them.

I have no clue why they start at 8:00 am. There is nothing going on!

Habfan17

39. DipsyDoodler says:

To those of you who truly believe Desharnais only got put on the same line as Max and Gally to get him going because he’s French speaking and that the Habs’ main concern is having French speaking stars.

To those of you who truly believe that.

(And similarly that a centre doesn’t do anything except collect free points when his wingers score; or have already forgotten that Desharnais was benched earlier this year.)

How can you keep cheering for the team?

How in good conscience can you cheer for an organization that bases its decisions on ethnicity? In this day and age.

Bergevin is useless.

41. adamkennelly says:

have we traded Markov yet?

my money is on MB doing nothing – safe bet.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I agree, there’s no gaping holes to fill and Habs aren’t in a position to make a big move for a “Gamebreaker” which is what they would need to get the team to the next level.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

Never would have thought Eller could have been such a divisive player on these boards. Perhaps it is just irony that the player traded for him was just as divisive.

Ha!
      Good point!

• krob1000 says:

It is not he who is the divisive one….if Elelr is gone the same divide will then happen with Chucky and DD…..if Patches only plays with DD and Patches will alwys be top unit PP…who or how does anything ever change? If Elelr stays and Chcuky gets that role is there any rift anywhere? Then Eller is aroudn when Pleks goes to hoefully step intot the defensive role…
      Favouring Dd for Eller is incredibly short sighted and downright wrong.

• Mattyleg says:

Do you think it’s possible to be critical of Eller without being overly-complimentary about DD?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Hmmmm, perhaps you could tell us? ;-)

• Mattyleg says:

The book is being bound down at the printer’s as we speak.
            ;)

• krob1000 says:

Not when it appear Eller is going to be moved because DD is unmoveable. I would be fine if it were Chucky int hat role….and Eller remained number 3. The one I see as in the way is DD….but he has too many things going for him that are not relative to what haoppens on the ice. That is what bothers me…I would be fine with Eller remaining in a 3rd line role for years until Pleks is gone and maybe then he is stilla third line center. Chcuky is the one who should get that role but I also beleive that today…if Eller got tat role he still produces at smae rate..as does Briere or Chcuky as well.
          I am not the one making it Eller vs DD…I am saying remove DD and team is same or better and allows development of Chucky…I am saying removed Eller and team is worse of now…and later.

I don’t care who getst hat role even if it is BRiere (who I think would outscore DD in that role). Briere getting to play with Pleks and Gio has led to him playing alright but that line gets the toughest D matchups and Briere is like DD inthat regard..not capapble of matching agianst another teams top lines. BRiere with Pathces and Gallagher…Briere would IMO be doing fine…proobaly thought when he signed here that owuld be his role…he started very slow though and never got that chance.

• Mattyleg says:

Getting annoyed because it appears that someone is going to be moved and someone else isn’t is kind of silly, seeing as how it’s not based on anything.

I disagree that Eller would be doing as well as DD between those two.

• boing007 says:

DD has no defensive upside, Eller does.

Richard R

I’m not too hung up on who will be next etc… I just think that over the past year and a half and especially since this season began, that there appears to be two rather divided camps on what they think of Eller and his potential etc..

Not trying to be rude to your point, just explaining more my initial post.

• krob1000 says:

See I am…I think Eller has the potential to be like Plkes..who IMO si the teams most important forward…not offesnively but as far as winning games goes. He may never achieve Pleks offense or he may….then I see Chucky as having DD in the way. I do think that looking ahead is key…if not lets trade all of our picks and try to win now. Moving Eller creates a huige problem down the road (unless youg et a guy like Kesler who does similar things). Having bothDD and Chucky as centers….is dangerous as well…whog ets Patches? what valued does Dd have without topo wingers? Can Chucky really be expected to produce without top wingers? he is not a scorer he is a playmaker…best habs have had in decasdes likely when all is said and done….he will need the teams top two wingers and team willbe better off for it

• DipsyDoodler says:

I suspect everyone deep down agrees on Eller: we just take extreme positions for the purpose of arguing.

43. krob1000 says:

Here is a very serious question…since DD’s stats have been [painful like Eller’s when not the number 1 center)….who has value to the team when Chucky gets that role? Eller or DD?
    Keeping DD ensure no role for Chucky at middle…when Chcuky gets that role…what value does DD have?
    IF Eller remains in a third line role is he not a very, very good 3rd line center? who could fill in if one of the top two was uinjured? Will Patches still demand to be with DD?
    There is more to this than meets the eye… DD is the obvious chocie to go….if not for the contract (that is actually fair value), the fact Patches and him are joined at the hip and that other factor.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

so would you trade dd and pachiortty as a package?

pachioretty has THE best contract in hockey. DD not so much. which GM is gonna want DD as their number 2 center? to play with who?

hmmm

• Kooch7800 says:

As long as DD is on this roster and Max is as well I don’t see them getting separated. They work together and Max has always played his best hockey with him in the AHL and NHL.

The truth of the matter is we are short two legit top 6 wingers. The centre’s are not our problem. If you move Chucky to centre who is going to play wing? We lose another scoring winger.

“Lets Go Canada”

• Ozmodiar says:

Exactly. Good post.

No point in trying to upgrade the C position while DD is here. If Chucky is moved to C, he should play with Max. If they upgrade Eller to a 1a C (ROR, Kesler, Statsny*) to go along with Pleks (1b), one of them would have to play with Max (can’t have Max on the 3rd line).

* won’t happen

Agree with Oz in his support of the case you make.

44. Hobie Hansen says:

Eller needs to succeed with the ice time and the line mates he’s given? Wow!

Put Eller with Pacioretty and Gallagher for 20 games instead of Bourque and Weise and he’ll be setting up goals and banging in rebounds like crazy!

LOL!

Trading Eller would be a huge mistake IMO. Unless the return was crazy good!

45. Cal says:

Hey, the coconut headed git is talking about the Habs on TSN.

46. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I say that we package all of the HI/O trolls together and send them to the Panthers in return for a 5th rounder.

47. Paz says:

We need to trade a defenceman who shoots left handed and acquire a forward who will bolster our scoring.

Maybe if we keep repeating it Bergevin will begin to understand.

That’s the move Marc.

48. habs1992 says:

Hearing Habs making a push for Vanek.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

49. Habfan17 says:

To those who want Eller traded and whom keep dissing him.

He does actually get points when he actually has wingers that have some talent other than banging. He is also very solid on the PK and in his own end. Value is not all points or Plekanec would have been gone long ago!

Habfan17

• twilighthours says:

It’s a rare position, I know, but some of us are critical of Eller but don’t actually want to trade him because we believe he can be much better than the crap he has been this year (and it’s not all his linemates, folks).

I’m with you on this.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Lets say 80%ish is on his linemates then?

• D Mex says:

If there was even the slightest chance DD could or would be moved, there would be no talk of moving Eller. Thanks to his contract, the reality is that Habs fans are resigned to him being part of the team.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Luke says:

DD has 35 points in his last 40 games.

He makes less than the majority of 2nd line centres in the game @ 3.5 million.

I think that’s:

1) Pretty decent production.
          2) A pretty decent return on investment.
          3) A moveable contract.

There is no guarantee that Eller (or Galchenyuk) will have success with Max. There is Proof that DD does.

Aside from his height and picking a favourite like in Twilight, I just don’t see what the problem with DD is.

So, I guess some are on Team Lars. Maybe there’s a Team Wee Davy, of that I can’t be sure… but I’m on Team Habs. I’ll take the production.

• boing007 says:

Most of those 35 points belong to MaxPac.

Richard R

• zephyr says:

agreed. dd is a keeper. he’s small but he’s surprisingly effective along the boards because he’s strong & has a low center of gravity.
            it’s ok to have 1 or 2 smallish guys up front if they produce – & dd has produced. he’s our best playmaker. you have to be blind (or stupid) not to see it. gio & briere can be moved. gio is a ufa but can still play – I hope he goes today.
            it’d be nice if Gallagher could play on a diff line so we don’t have 2 small guys on the same line.

• twilighthours says:

Of course DD can be moved. His contract is right in line with players who put up pts at his rate. Since his horrid start, he’s scored at nearly a pt a game.

The Eller support doesn’t need to go hand-in-hand with the DD hate. I know it often does.

• D Mex says:

Yes, he has points, in carefully choreographed game situations.

IMO, ” strengths ” that DD brings to the Habs are (i) his shootout production, (ii) Pacioretty’s insistence on playing with him, and (iii) his contract. There were lame jokes here about Pacioretty’s performance in Sochi in relation to DD that need not be repeated.

He is ineffective along the boards and in corner, is pushed off the puck way too easily, so plays the perimeter with the aforementioned Pacioretty. I doubt his presence, in and of itself, is a pre-game consideration for many opposing coaches.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Luke says:

Ring-a-ding-ding.

• Paz says:

Hear ya. Don’t worry about the posters here. Your point is valid whether it gets their support or not.

50. slim wallet says:

Going into the playoffs last year, Eller WAS the top offensive centre on the Habs. He was on a roll. And then the hit. Therrien and MB made the choice that they would rather have Desharnais succeed at centre than Eller. Yes, there is the French factor, the new contract, etc., but if Desharnais is not a top two line centre on this team there is nowhere else he can play. He is just two small to compete for the puck. So Eller gets pushed down to play those tougher minutes. It’s the treatment he gets from Therrien that bugs me. Sitting him down after that goal crease roughing penalty the other night – there should have been no penalties called or offsetting ones. Eller is 4th in hits on the team. If Desharnais, Gallagher or others get that penalty, they’re competing. If Eller gets it, he sits.

51. ooder says:

although Eller has been really inconsistent, I don’t think he has been put in a position to succeed.
    his linemates are garbage (Bourque is dead weight) and he gets 0 PP time.
    The reason the gallys were taken away form Eller is because DD is completely ineffective unless his two wingers carry him and gets top PP time.
    this team will never go anywhere if they keep pretending DD is a #1 center, the guy is a very mediocre number 2 on a middling team

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Eller needs to show he can do something with the ice time he is given. He has not really wowed anyone.

• ooder says:

I agree, but if he was given the same situation to succeed and the chances that DD was given I feel like he would do better.

• Mattyleg says:

He was given that chance, and the EGG line dried up, which is why it was disbanded.

• ooder says:

actually it was disbanded to get DD going. They were doing pretty well to start the season and eller was coming into his own

• krob1000 says:

The egg line is still missing the teams best offesnvie player…still not the same has having teams TOP TWO wingers and top pp minutes. Egg line still lost serious tiop pp time to Patches.

• Mattyleg says:

ooder, I posted the stats on this a few days back, so I don’t remember them exactly.

The line produced hugely in the first three games, and then in the subequent 8 or 9 games, production dried up almost completely.

That line was underperforming, as was Max, and as was DD. If the EGG line had continued doing as well as it was, it would never have been broken up.

• Luke says:

So you favour scratching Eller and playing him only ~12 minutes on nights when he is sucking?

That’s some of the “same chances” DD received during the first 20 games.

• on2ndthought says:

what Slim said above

“a cannonading drive”

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

good luck trading DD

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t you think that he would get more PP time if he started producing?

Do you think that people should perhaps stop wringing their hands and making excuses for him, and complaining about his wingers, while Briere has more points than him playing on the 4th line?

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree Marty. Eller has become somewhat of a mystery to me. Skills all seem to be there. Something is missing.

• Luke says:

Might be the tool box.

When they were talking baout that Mattias dude who was traded in the Lalongo deal, I could have sworn they were talking about a bigger version of Eller.

• ooder says:

might be a chicken and egg problem, however he has not been given the same opportunities like DD, not even close.

• Mattyleg says:

Opportunities are what you make of them.

• ooder says:

right, however DD got 20 games with 20+ minutes, top wingers, top PP line, coaches sat down to watch tape with him.
            Was the same given to Eller. I doubt it.
            This was to justify the absurd 4 year contract given to him

• Luke says:

You should go look at the stats for DD over the first 20 games.

He’s never played 20 minutes in a game this season. His TOI during the first twenty was 12 – 14 minutes on average.
            He was a Healthy scratch.

His actual TOI average for the season is similar to that of eller.

But yah. Stuff.

• Ozmodiar says:

DD was given the best wingers and PP when he wasn’t producing.

Why don’t they do the same for Eller now?
        (answer: DD has to play with Max)

• Mattyleg says:

DD was scratched and put on the 4th line when he wasn’t producing.

Why don’t they do the same with Eller now?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Perhaps what is expected out of a 3rd line grinding center is different from that of a number 1 center who is supposed to produce points.

Exactly.
            I have no problem with Eller as that kind of player, although I think a 3rd line centre should have a few more points!

I have a problem with people who believe that Eller could be the #1 centre if he’d only not been so badly mistreated by the coaching staff.

• Ozmodiar says:

My question remains …

Despite DD’s temporary benching/demotion, he was still given that chance to succeed without producing first.

• Mattyleg says:

He produced the previous season.
            That should be enough for management to try to encourage that to happen again.

Eller’s production only started in the last 12 games of the season, so he was still an undetermined value.

• Ozmodiar says:

Not true.

Last season Eller had more points than DD, most of which came before the last 12 games.

• mount royal says:

DD is one of the superior playmakers in the game. Also, When Patch left the game recently, DD simply scored 2 goals when he had no one else to feed. The so-called French factor is almost entirely in the minds of paranoic Anglos and is getting quite tiresome.

• ooder says:

i don’t remember bringing up the french factor, but you know, wtvr helps you sleep at night.
        calling DD one of the superior playmakers is hilarious and wrong. He is not even the best playmaker on the team.
        He had one good season where he had 60 points. Look at his numbers, they are not that of a #1 center. Not to mention he is completely invisible in the playoffs (2 assists in 10 gp).
        Tell yourself wtvr you want about him being prosecuted because he is french, it’s because he is not that good, not because of his last name

• Mattyleg says:

Not too sure about the French thing either (?) but since coming out of his slump, DD is on almost a point a game.

If he can avoid the doldrums next year, then I’m very happy with those numbers, and they do put him in a high tier in the league for playmakers.

52. Ozmodiar says:

If Eller’s traded, I hope it’s for another young, RFA age, player like E Kane or ROR who can play in the top 6. … even if the Habs have to add.

I just hope it’s not for someone like Chris Stewart.

My concern is that Eller is undervalued by the Habs based on his recent production. I have a suspicion that MB isn’t familiar with the “buy low, sell high” axiom.

53. jon514 says:

TVA Sports reporting Markov and Eller in play.

54. krob1000 says:

Let us assume we trade DD for a 7th rd pick …seriosuly tell me where the drop off is.

IS this lineup not better or the same as we have
    Plkes-Gio-BRiere
    Chucky-Patches-Gallagher
    Eller-Bourque-Weise
    White-Prust-Bournival/Moen/Parros

55. Hobie Hansen says:

Sounds like Markov is’t going anywhere:

Richard Labbé ‏@Richardlabbe 1m

L’agent de Markov m’a fait comprendre que les rumeurs d’échange sur son client n’ont rien à voir avec la réalité. #Habs

Richard Labbé ‏@Richardlabbe 31s

Markov’s agent already told me trade rumors involving his client have nothing to do with reality. #Habs

Eric Engels ‏@EricEngels 1m

Habs will take on risk of losing him to ufa vs risk of trading him off team that’s 8 points up on playoffs, running on special teams #markov

56. L Elle says:

There’s a GM who’s sure, all that glitters is gold
    And he’s trading a 5th pick for Weaver.
    When he gets there he knows, if the phones are all closed
    With a word he can get what he came for.
    Ooh, ooh, and he’s trading a 5th pick for Weaver,

There’s a sign on the wall, “No Excuses”, be sure
    ‘Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
    In a room by a nook, there’s a GM who stings,
    Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
    Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There’s a feeling I get when I look to the West,
    And my spirit is crying for winning.
    In my thoughts I have seen Cup rings rise through the stands,
    And the voices of those who stand cheering.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
    Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it’s whispered that soon, if we all believe “truths”,
    Then the Lord Stanley comes to us one season soon.
    And a new day will dawn for those who stood long,
    And others will suffer with our laughter.

If there’s a problem with your defense, don’t be alarmed now,
    It’s just a matter of time, Marc & Co.
    Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There’s still time to change the road you’re on.
    And it makes me wonder.

Your head is buzzing, and it won’t go, in case you don’t know,
    The GM is calling you to join him,
    Dear fans, can you hear the time go by, and did you know
    Your stairway lies on the piles of cold cash.

And as we wind on down the road
    Our wishes taller than their soul.
    There walks a GM we all know
    Who shines white light and wants to show
    How everything still turns to gold.
    And if you listen very hard
    The same old speech will come to you.
    When all are old and none is all
    To be a rock and not to roll.

And he’s trading a 5th pick for Weaver.

57. habs1992 says:

Markov is very much in play today,I hope he is traded.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

58. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

georges murray weaver bouillon , great we have 4, 7th defenmen!

trade these bums and pass the torch to beaulieu and tinnordi.

59. krob1000 says:

People are forgetting that if Canadiens trade Eller and slot Galchenyuk into center…they are now short one of their best wingers.

Maybe this is all a ploy to suck in 2015…No Honour for COnnor possibly back on the table!!!

60. DipsyDoodler says:

Can anyone explain what the Panthers are up to?

They traded Versteeg to Chicago and retained $2.2M of his salary.

Now they go and saddle themselves with the hands down worst contract in hockey – and will be paying Luongo close to $5M/y for the next 4 years – 4 years during which they can’t really expect to contend (have you seen their roster?).

61. Cardiac says:

A little quote for all of you about potential:

“Potential doesn’t mean a thing. You’ve got to do it. Almost every baby in a crib has more potential than I have.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

Either you got the goods or you don’t. Eller may have all the potential in the world. But guess what? Potential doesn’t pay the bills. If we can trade Eller for his “potential” to get an already established player in return, why not?

– Jerry Maguire

• on2ndthought says:

there is also development
      sorry if you are too young to remember John Leclair. if so, look him up, it still hurts

“a cannonading drive”

• DipsyDoodler says:

This is the worry.

However , Leclair had already demonstrated his potential in the 93 playoffs when he was traded.

• Cardiac says:

I remember John Leclair very well thank you. He was a great talent and a key contributor to the 93 playoff run. However, Mark Recchi was also a great talent, both of them are potential Hall of Famers. No doubt we got raped on that trade by throwing in Desjardins. But in order to get talent, you have to give up talent. Chelios for Savard, Muller for Turgeon, the list goes on.

– Jerry Maguire

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha! 2nd and Cardiac.
          I posted about Leclair on the older page where I was rabbitting on as usual after everyone else had left, d’oh.

But 2nd, I hear you about Leclair pain. Also Chelios pain, and Lanny Macdonald with Cup-in-Forum pain.

Cardiac, I left a HILARIOUS reply to your Bourque post.

62. Hobie Hansen says:

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 2m

Alex Galchenyuk needing to play centre at some point also affects Lars Eller, as does his contract situation. A decision needs to be made.

John Herron ‏@Johnny_Herron 59s

@ArponBasu So stupid the Habs have decided to run with Desharnias over Eller! As Lindy Ruff would say: That is a definition of a joke!

Seems to me Arpon Basu may want Eller traded! I wouldn’t mind telling Arpon to STFU.

• Paz says:

Desharnais passes to Max, and Max scores!

Gets you to the playoffs.

Therrien gets his bonus. Bergevin gets his bonus. Molson makes a few extra million.

In a city where there is no NFL, no NBA, no MLB, and no college teams,
      that’s all that is required to keep everyone quiet.

• aroma says:

does anyone here think MaxPac wouldn’t have scored as much with Eller as his center? Eller has been set up for failure in favor of L’il Davey. He’ll go in a bad trade and we’ll always regret it. He hasn’t been the same since he was stripped of his linemates Max and Gally, the latter of whom hasn’t been the same since as well. Two schtroumphes – DesH and Gallagher, on the same line. Ridiculous. And that’s the line that MT never tinkers with. Big mistake.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

DD speaks French. Eller doesn’t. Therefore, DD is #1 Centre.

(Habs logic and the same reason this team hasn’t done anything in 20 years).

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• DipsyDoodler says:

This dumb meme is starting to border on racism, in my opinion.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

You can fuck right off with your racism card. Denying Habs prioritize french players is the real ignorance.

——————————————————————–
          Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HS4H, quickly, before you’re modded, please put forward your best argument and evidence. Maybe I’m just ignorant, too, but I can’t persuade myself that there’s anything of substance in this old story.

(Dipsy is well able to look after himself, so I’ll leave that to him!)

• DipsyDoodler says:

There are two francophone players on the team right now.

Louis Leblanc is in Hamilton.

In the last 4 drafts the Habs picked up 4 Francophone players out of 24 players picked – none higher than the 4th round.

Going back to Paul Mara (2011) the Habs have made 20 trades. None of them were for a Francophone player. The last Francophone player involved in a Habs trade was Maxim Lapierre for a 5th rounder.

• stmarys says:

Forget the “starting to border”…, in my opinion.

…caught up in his paraphernalia\\\”

63. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

for 20 years habs wanted a top line center with skill and sizem so what do we do when we finally get one? play him on the wing!! hah make move for galchenyuk trade pleks, eller, or dd.

64. habstrinifan says:

I see there are posts referring to rumours pf HABS shopping Eller and Tinordi. WOW! WOW! WOW!

Does the addition of Weaver add ‘validity’ to this rumour.

I repeat WOW WOW WOW… I aint no expert but MB better be be darned sure he gets huge returns.. and he also better discount Therrien’s advice on this one. I think Therrien may be too focused on the downside of an Eller for instance to be a truly objective advisor.

65. Cal says:

Habs very likely to not make any moves. Habs will not trade low cap hit Eller (or Bourque because of his size).

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

gionta plays bigger then bourque

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Cal. The habs may make some moves in the offseason but today would not be the day to make a huge move. Bourque was one of our best players in the playoffs last year and he also has good speed. Unless you can get a better scoring forward back he isn’t going anywhere.

Eller is still young and unless you see a great offer they won’t give him away.

“Lets Go Canada”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bourque is a player to whom you can really usefully apply the term enigmatic, nest-ce pas?

(Kooch, is that a Springboks jersey?)

• Kooch7800 says:

Hey Mike,

No, that is my Baseball Jersey for my men’s league team.

Springboks are a heck of a Rugby team though

“Lets Go Canada”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(Glad it’s baseball — I hate the Springboks, how good they are notwithstanding. Canada had some ferocious games against them in the 90s and 00s. We never won, but we refused to be out-toughed by them, and they really didn’t like it. Hey, your season starts soon! Play ball!)

66. shiram says:

I would mind if we traded Eller, that is unless the returns blows me away.
    He’s not been producing as much as we’d like but he’s still doing some good things out there, is still young, not yet in his prime and basically just about every forward is having an off year production wise.
    It’s also tough to think that his value is at an all time high.

It’s also weird that Bergevin quoted wanting size, and yet he makes a lot of moves to bring in small players.
    Trading Eller would send another player with size out, one that hits a lot and wins draws too.

• Mattyleg says:

I think MB wants to build a team with size through the draft because big players cost too much on the trade/FA market.

• shiram says:

I think MB is making a lot of confusing statement as it relates to the moves he makes, and it might be part of his scheme as all his move have come mostly out of nowhere with no “insider” having the inside scoop.

But really we don’t know much.

Eller is also very cap friendly right now.

• shiram says:

And should remain so on his next contract if his numbers plateau.

I don’t see the issue with having him as a steady third line C, it’s a nice change from the revolving door of centers we’ve had on the bottom 6.
        White too.

67. Donkey Hoat says:

Eller should just wait out the inevitable firing of Michel Therrien.
    He’s a big, strong talented centre, the kind we have been looking for since 1998, or thereabouts.
    Losing him only makes sense if we get the same player in return.

• habsfan0 says:

Not to cast a negative light on it, but what makes you think Therrien’s successor will be any different from him?

• Kooch7800 says:

He is on pace for under 30 points. I am not saying we should trade him but I think people think he is going to become an offensive Juggernaut are poorly mistaken. If he was that great offensively he would be making his linemates better. Briere has had worse line mates and is contributing more.

Eller can be a really high end 3rd liner who can play top six when there are injuries. That is how I currently see him

“Lets Go Canada”

• habs-fan-84 says:

This.

• krob1000 says:

Any one of Briere, Chucky, Pleks or Eller would have similar point total if playing with Gally and Patches and getting 1st line pp. Ihave posted the even strentgth numbers and all of te evidence re this several times on here and people just do not get it. DD, like Eller, like bRiere, like Galchenyuk, like pLeks all see their numbers dip to approx the same pace when they are removed from top pp minutes and 1st line role. What do people not get about this? We have seen it before with Gomez…Gomez put up similar numbers to DD withthat role….really almost identical numbes until they started adjusting his riole…and if yourecall Dd put up Gomez(bad version numbers) when removed fromt hat role…as has Eller.

• NiagaraHabsFan says:

Couldn’t agree more with this statement.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think you get it. Briere has the same amount of points playing 4 minutes less a game and has had worse linemates than Eller. Briere is also on the tail end of his career with injuries. DD is small but has great offensive instincts as shown playing with Patches. I don’t see Eller making a lot of those same passes that DD does.

“Lets Go Canada”

• krob1000 says:

You don’t see MOen and Bourque getting open like Patches and Gally either …it has been done and the results were the same

• Kooch7800 says:

Bourque is snake bit. Moen doesn’t have the offensive instincts to score more than.

Just as a reminder DD played with bad line mates on the 3rd line in 2010-11 and had 22 points in 43 games

“Lets Go Canada”

• thorandresson says:

Buddy, you earn your way to the top lines by being productive, you’re not just inserted in there and start producing based on potential, it’s more than obvious that DD has outplayed Eller this year, if you think otherwise you’re absolutely delusional.

• krob1000 says:

How did he get moved after 1 point in 20 games to that line? He earned his way there! I guess if you call having been signed by the new GM to the first long term contract EARNED then so be it. It was looking a lot like a Gomez deal for DD after last season and the first quarter of this one…at least Eller can be pawned off as someone elses mistake. He earned it?LOl…helps I guess when teams best palyer loves him too…and I am fine witht hat combo but get Gally out of there…he is losing years off the end of his career taking all of the lumps for those two to pad their stats.

• aroma says:

second that.

68. montrealtilldeath says:

Why are the Habs in this 20 year long stasis? They have forgotten the objective is winning hockey not appeasing the PQ (never seen Pauline Marois at a game), the French media, etc. Look at the incompetent coaches we have been forces to hire ( Martin, Therrian, etc). Lars Eller has real potential that will not be developed by Therrian and I also fear for Subban. If you really look at Eller he has it all; size, speed, agility and quickness. The egg line should have been left together so that all 3 of the youngsters were fully confident at to their hockey abilities. These guys are the future. Montreal is 2-3 years away from a serious run for the cup. Balance lines when you have the building blocks developed. Look at the Kings, Hawks, etc. They took this route.

• stmarys says:

Since ’68 the only coach who coached a full season who couldn’t speak French was McNeil. Of the rest — Bowman, Berry, Lemaire, Burns, Demers, Vigneault, Julien, Therrien, Perron, Martin, Tremblay– the only one I would call incompetent was Tremblay.

…caught up in his paraphernalia\\\”

69. Phil C says:

I hope Beaulieu and Tinordi remain a Hab. It would be so tough to get good value for them because their range of potential is so wide.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I’d like to think the Habs learned their lesson with McDonagh.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Kooch7800 says:

The habs will eventually have to move some D out for offense. All our best prospects are D and not on forward. I like Both Tin man and Beaulieu. I think Pateryn could get moved but he is a Right D and that is something we are not exactly in surplus of

“Lets Go Canada”

70. Luke says:

No super exciting trade info but:
    35 minutes ago
    TSNDaveNaylor: RT @ESPN_NHL: Carey Price of Montreal Canadiens making progress from injury, won’t play vs. Anaheim Ducks http://t.co/oyyadEEOVL
    Retweet | Follow

Oh, wait, maybe it’s a smoke screen!!

Price and PK for Kessler + Diaz + Weber + a 4th.

Book it.

71. Hobie Hansen says:

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 3m

I’ll say this on Eller: he’s an attractive asset, #Habs don’t have many, and Bergevin inherited him. But he’s a young, big, skilled centre.

72. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Lets trade Eller, Deharnais, bourque, georges, bouillon murray, white weise gionta plekenecs briere moen for kessler and a couple prospects.

73. UKRAINIANhab says:

Kesler is not going to come play in Montreal. Enough!

• mrhabby says:

agreed..

ps..some one suggesed Eller for Kesler straight up.

• habstrinifan says:

Did you folks see the rumour of Bourque ASKING for a trade. I capitalized it because I think it would have been a slightly ‘forceful’ ask.

Assuming the rumour is true, is a trade now mandatory. I mean what would be the effect on Bourque’s play; on his relationship with coaches etc; … if we have a very UNWILLING player going into the playoffs. Is Bourque the type to put not being traded behind him and bear down for a run.
        He may be wildly inconsistent but in the scheme of things he is ‘important’ to the lineup.

St. Louis asked for a trade a month ago, he seems to be playing fine. Bourque? Not so much.

• habstrinifan says:

I understand the comparison re the ‘player’s position’ but I didnt reference St. Louis cause see Bourque as a harder player to ‘quantify’ in a trade. I mean based on his ‘standing’ with fans and team and maybe coaches and GM… it could be a ‘giveaway’.. but based on the composition of the current team, Bourque is an enigmatic but valuable piece.

St. Louis is simply trading high value to get high returns.

• mrhabby says:

saw that…

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Agreed. Doesn’t make any sense.

TSN reporting its Pittsburgh, Anaheim or he stays in Vancouver.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

74. krob1000 says:

I would love to see Eller for Kesler…I am a huge eller fan but I think it would be great for Lars to get a better role with a club and I just have a hard time seeing how that is going to happen in MOntreal. I hope he does not go unless it is for a great deal but as long as he goes to a situation where he can succeed I could live with it.

Kesler if going anywhere will be in an american city.

• Paz says:

Exactly how I feel. If I was Eller I would want a new start somewhere else.

• on2ndthought says:

I love how Eller plays, but he is no Kessler. Gillis does not make this trade straight up.

“a cannonading drive”

• krob1000 says:

Of course he does o amke this straight up…I never suggest that…but they said they wanted a young center with upside…Eller would be the centerpiece and they also wanted a prospect and a pick.

• mrhabby says:

You honestly think mike gillis will trade Kelser straight up for Eller…lmao.

The Penguins are putting a package together for Kesler plus pics.

LMAO.

• krob1000 says:

? the stated asking price waas a young center, a prosepct and a 1st pick…I assumed you guys were smart enough to figure that much out…given the prospect and pick are unknowns.

• mrhabby says:

I guess were not smart enough to figure it out.

• krob1000 says:

lol…sure you are …you jsut jumped the gun…I have been around here long enough I would hope you wouldn’t think I woudl really think an NHL GM would trade a perrenial Selke candidate for an unproven young center at a crossroads. If I am the Can GM it is a toss up between Sutter and Eller but Eller ahs the better offesnvie potential and couplld eventually fill KEslers role possibly, so could B Sutter. IT comes down teo the prospets and the pick IMO as Sutter/Eller is a wash ,Pitts is likely to be a worse pick as long as Cros and Malk are playing there and the D prospect POuliot vs Tinordi is edge to Pitts..be a tough call…Montrealmay have to throw another b level prospect or pick in to make it work.

75. Paz says:

Penguins have excellent prospects on defence, and they have Sutter as their 3rd line center.

Sutter, Pouliot, and a 1 st rounder gets them Kesler