Habs acquire defenceman Weaver from Panthers; Price back on ice

The Canadiens have acquired defenceman Mike Weaver from the Florida Panthers in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick in 2015.

Weaver, a 5-foot-10, 183-pounder who shoots right, has played 55 games with the Panthers this season, picking up six assists and 23 penalty minutes to go along with a minus-9. He has 101 hits and 94 blocked shots while averaging 18:47 of ice time. Four Canadiens have more hits this season than Weaver: Alexei Emelin (137), Douglas Murray (118), P.K. Subban (111) and Lars Eller (110).  Four Canadiens have more blocked shots: Josh Gorges (171), Andrei Markov (140), Subban (100) and Douglas Murray (97).

In 585 career regular-season games, the 35-year-old Weaver has 7-79-86 totals and 213 PIM. (Photo above is of Weaver checking Habs’ Max Pacioretty during game last season.)

“This is actually my first time being traded,” Weaver said on the Canadiens’ website. “I was at Pittsburgh’s training camp and I was picked up on waivers by Vancouver and that’s the closest I’ve been to a trade. Fortunately over the years I haven’t really had to deal with this but it’s an exciting situation going into an Original Six team that’s in a high spot in the standings and in a playoff position. I’m really excited to be coming to Montreal.”

The Panthers also placed former Canadien Scott Gomez on waivers Tuesday. In 29 games this season, the 34-year-old Gomez has 1-7-8 totals and is minus-9. It was also reported Tuesday afternoon that the Panthers had acquired goalie Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for goalie Jacob Markstrom and forward Shawn Matthias.

The NHL trade deadline is at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The Canadiens held an optional practice Tuesday afternoon in Segunda, Calif., with seven players taking part at the beginning. Goaltender Dustin Tokarski was joined by Lars Eller, Ryan White, Francis Bouillon, George Parros, Brandon Prust and Michael Bournival. After undergoing some medical treatments for his lower-body injury, goalie Carey Price joined them. Price, who has missed all four games since the Olympic break with the injury, spent about 15 minutes on the ice with goalie coach Stephane Waite. He plans to skate on his own again Wednesday.

Coming off a 2-1 loss in Los Angeles Monday night, the Canadiens continue their four-game West Coast road trip Wednesday night when they visit the Anaheim Ducks (10 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Peter Budaj will make his fifth straight start in goal replacing Price.

“It felt good to get on the ice,” Price told reporters in California after practice. “It’s coming down to the important part of the year and I want to go into this stretch 100 per cent. I’m feeling good and progressing. The last 20 games of the year are a real mental grind and I want to make sure I’m prepared for the rest of the year and the playoffs. We still have a lot of hockey left this year and I want to make sure I’m good to go. It’s manageable but I want it to be 100 per cent before we go into the important stages of the year.”

After Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens travel to Phoenix to face the Coyotes on Thursday (9 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) before wrappingup the trip Saturday in San Jose against the Sharks (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Wilfredo Lee/The Associated Press)

Price ‘making progress’ on lower-body injury, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Practice report, Canadiens.com

Changing on the fly for new Hab Weaver, Canadiens.com

Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers, NHL.com

Trade Tracker, NHL.com

Big names could be available at deadline, NHL.com

Players in play at trade deadline, TSN.ca

How it feels to be traded (video), Sportsnet.ca

1,719 Comments

1. mrhabby says:

I like Weavers last name..

2. Phil C says:

Do I wish they could have upgraded the offense or the #3 defense position instead? Of course, but don’t underestimate the value of every position on a roster. In a parity league, sometimes it will come down to who has the best fourth line or the best special teams or more importantly, not having obvious weaknesses to be exploited. . The Weise deal, although for fringe NHLers, has really given the team a good looking 4th line and will pay dividends. The Habs have been struggling and juggling with the 5/6 pairing all season, I really hope Weaver can come in and provide some stability to the pairing.

3. dano58 says:

GO HABS GO!!!
    Building the team through old reliable d-men like he was.

“Always looking to better my team as long as it’s in the image of myself so I can re-live my career through my trades of d-men”-M/B

4. Storm Man says:

Yes lets move JT and Murray to get this team smaller we can start playing more trap zone hockey lol

5. Marcusman says:

Could we have not coughed up 3rd or a 2nd round pick for Penner..he’s exactly what we need…

6. Luke says:

Just when every ray of hope was gone
    I should have known that you would come along
    I can’t believe I ever doubted you
    My old friend the blues

7. duffy says:

What a BLOCKBUSTER of a trade, I have now lost all confidence in Bergevin as the GM of this team.

8. Commandant says:

As I posted in the last thread…. Weaver has played extremely well in Florida. Plays the toughest minutes on the team (zone starts and quality of opposition both show he is their most trusted defensive dman), plays the most PK minutes (and is successful despite the fact that when he leaves the ice the panthers PK sucks), and is right handed.

This is a very strong pickup and I’ve put all the fancy stats and scouting report in the article at last word.

Francois Beauchemin / PK Subban
    Cam Fowler / Andrei Markov
    Hampus Lindholm / Alex Emelin
    Stephane Robidas / Josh Gorges
    Ben Lovejoy / Douglas Murray
    Bryan Allen / Mike Weaver
    Luca Sbisa / Jared Tinordi

10. Chrisadiens says:

Someone before asked about Bozon…

tim bozon ‏@timbozon94 36m
    Our Timmy is keeping fighting but…thank you so much for your wonderful wishes. -Helene and Phil Bozon

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

11. Tyhudg says:

A lot of talk about how ‘Ready’ Tinordi looks. I though he has looked pretty bad since the call up. He goes way out of position to make contact far too much resulting in a couple odd man rushes against the habs in the past couple games (In limited minutes). Made a brutal play prior to fighting Kyle Clifford last night (I assume in an attempt to overshadow it). I don’t think Tinordi is ready at all personally, and would go as far as to say he has looked lost out there at times to me. I will say he did look much better in the second half of last nights game, but half a game is not enough.

• krob1000 says:

He has done that and that is his downfall right now. Then again that is the same uissue both PK and Emelin also have. On the flip side he has better than I thought he would be with the puck and he skated out of trouble a couple times. I think he needs 50 -100 games or so with reasonable minutes and he will be fine. Needs to adjust to the speed but catch 22 is how can you get the experience to play experienced hockey…the AHL does nothing for this as he likely gets away with it down there.

• Forum Dog says:

Classic case of “they need experience, but can’t get the experience”. If Montreal can live with the mistakes made by Emelin, Gorges, Bouillion, Murray, Diaz, etc., surely they can live with the mistakes that the next generation will make. Especially when the next generation has considerably more upside than any of the names I just mentioned…..

12. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

????????????WHY??????????????

Unless this is a precursor to other moves, this makes zero sense to me. Or is Bergevin’s goal to create an entire roster under 5′ 10″?
    We desperately need help on the wings, and he gets another depth d-man?!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Robidas with a broken leg is better than Weaver…geezus.

14. jon514 says:

Penner for a 4th round pick? Can anyone explain?

15. shiram says:

Here’s a Panthers fans assesment of Weaver :

“Here’s what to expect from Weaver:

1. No offensive ability whatsoever. A shot players would be willing to block with their teeth.
    2. Most of the time he is defensively sound, but has problems with big, strong forwards.
    3. Great timing when it comes to hits (except when leaves his position to do so)
    4. Gets under the skin of the opposition a lot
    5. Isn’t afraid to mix it up and he plays a pretty steady game

With that being said, he’s been terrible this year. Good luck.”

16. mrhabby says:

Clarkson traded……………………….kidding.

17. derfab says:

Decent filler. We only have one natural right d and this guy can play there. Much tougher than Diaz. If we can get someone good for Markov or gorges now is the time. Tinordi is ready.

• The_Truth says:

Tinordi is a major downgrade on Markov or Gorges. He is not ready at all to take a top 4 NHL role. I would be very surprised if either one is moved, but wouldn’t be surprised if tinordi was moved himself in a package deal.

18. Mattyleg says:

Fasth to Edm?
    Doesn’t look like my dream goaling team of Quick and Fasth will ever happen… :(

—Hope Springs Eternal—

19. Chrisadiens says:

For those that were upset when Diaz was traded. His TOI has dropped severely and is now a healthy scratch for Van.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

20. johnnylarue says:

Hang on… Gomez scored a goal this season? And if I remember correctly, he had at least one last year as well with the Sharks…

This means that, according to my math, Gomez has now scored in two consecutive seasons.

Why would Tallon put Gomez on waivers in the middle of such an epic goal-scoring streak? Could it be that his oft-lauded “in-the-room” skills are in decline?

21. Maritime Ronn says:

Not counting Tinordi-Beaulieu – yet including Bouillon, the Habs now have 7 Dmen on the Roster, and all have 1 way contracts.

This cannot be GM Bergevin’s last trade.
    If so, and barring injury, Tinordi-Beaulieu will not see anymore Habs games this year.

• Forum Dog says:

That would be a shame. These guys are not gonna learn much more in the AHL, and this year is as good as any to give them a taste of the playoff chase.

• formerly known as the hc says:

I am just throwing shiznit at the wall here, hoping something sticks… Maybe MB is thinking that, with Tinordi and NB, the Bulldogs may get 2, maybe 3 rounds of playoff hockey. The same can’t be said (with or without them) in Mtl. Playoff hockey may be what they need in this stage of development. I dunno, just guessing.

• Hobie Hansen says:

My thoughts exactly Ronn…

Thanks for clarifying that btw.

• 24 Cups says:

The roster limit will expand at some point after the trade deadline. I’m not sure of the exact date.

• Maritime Ronn says:

They can expand the ‘eligible players for the playoffs” roster, yet they still have to respect the official 23 man roster and Cap ceiling.

• The_Truth says:

I was pretty impressed with Beaulieu, and not so much with Tinordi.

I think one of them may be traded. If MB wants Weaver instead of one of those guys down the stretch and playoffs, then it doesn’t bode well. Beaulieu was supposed to have made Diaz expendable, and now he won’t be playing another game?

Unless another trade for Markov is in the works, which I doubt, I think Tin or Beau will be part of a package deal.

22. Habs_101 says:

To me this trade makes Josh Gorges expendable.
    If I am MB I now have two clear goals by the 3pm deadline;
    #1 – flip boullion / murray for a pick (5-7 to recover Weaver pick)
    #2 – make a package of Eller/DD + Gorges + picks/prospects for a bonafied scoring winger.

I believe #1 will happen! Not upset at all with the D pairs;

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Weaver
    Murray – Tinordi
    Beaulieu – Pateryn (likely to step in for Weaver next season)

*** Would have been nice to get Penner, but habs need to lose someone upfront, too many bottom 6 guys ***

GO HABS GO!

23. Storm Man says:

So we get another under 6 player lol

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 3m
    Anaheim sends the fourth-round pick they acquire from WSH in Penner deal to DAL for Robidas. So, essentially Penner-for-Robidas

25. JUST ME says:

Drewiski
    Weise
    Weaver
    I see a trend !
    W !
    Win!
    Well…

26. Phil C says:

I like this move as I have always liked Weaver. I don’t think people will say he is small when they see him hit. Very solid on his skates, like a bigger version of Cube.

The Habs were not deep in RH defensemen and I’m a big fan of having players on their correct side. Given that their most likely playoff opponents will be Detroit or Tampa, they needed another mobile defenseman, especially a veteran. The Habs now have a very solid bottom pairing, whether they slide Beaulieu, Tinordi, or Murray next to Weaver.

27. DipsyDoodler says:

Can anyone explain this Penner trade? Anaheim are among the favourites to win the cup and Penner, while not a very good player, still serves a purpose. They have tons of cap space too.

He has 32 points, and is a +22.

28. Luke says:

Bryz to wild. Fasth (ANA) to Edmonton.

Does Edmonton know that only 1 goalie can play at a time? They just acquired Viktor Fasth from Anaheim.

Anaheim moving out lots of salary, must be acquiring someone with big contract. Vanek?

Edit: Didn’t realize Bryzgalov was dealt.

30. krob1000 says:

The NHL should go all ebay….have a website give 24 hours and sell to highest bidder. All trades in real time internet auctions…would be awesome!!

31. FANHABULOUS says:

I got it!

MB is trading PK, so he needs a RH defenceman to take his spot…

I kid, I kid!

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

32. Maritime Ronn says:

A previous poster mentioned:
    “…Roberto Luongo isn’t moping, but the feeling is that the Canucks at this point would listen to any offer from anyone for his services.”
    —————
    Luongo turns 35 next month.
    Why would Luongo mope?

After this season, Luongo has almost $ 34 Million of Salary left on his ‘guaranteed contract’ that runs through the 2021-2022 season, with an annual Cap Hit of $5,333,333 for each and every season until then.

His career gross earnings to date are around $64 Million USD.

Florida would be a nice landing spot for him and family, yet the Canucks ownership best be ready to eat a large portion of those future earnings/Cap Hit if a deal is to be had.

If the Canucks opted for a buyout (Compliance or Regular) it would cost them $1,410,667/year until 2029-2030 (no typo) and Luongo would become a UFA.

I hate to tell these kinds of stories, but pretty good buddy of mine is close with someone who works equipment for the Canucks. Says the dressing room is a pretty poisonous place in Vancouver right now. Apparently Torts is running an extremely tight ship, and the players are not enjoying the environment he is demanding.

• Kooch7800 says:

I can believe it. Torts is the wrong coach for that team. They should never have fired AV.

“Lets Go Canada”

• krob1000 says:

I can;t imagine it is much fun between Torts, the Luongo situation that has lingered for years, An agent turned Gm,etc Years of underachieving and frustration…Kesler now wanting out…not mcuh to be happy about.

Yup lots of crap there, my buddies comment was specific to how Torts demands behaviour in dressing room before and moreso after games. No one is allowed to have guests in for autographs etc… Very military type regiments and the guys just aren’t having any fun in the locker room anymore.

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli

Absolutely believe it because… :-)

• Forum Dog says:

I think Torts has that effect on locker rooms. Nothing like watching a full grown man, who is supposed to be your professional compass, throw one irrational tantrum after another. Nobody wants to follow that into battle…..

I’ll qualify that by saying I am only basing my analysis on what I have seen on TV. Normally that wouldn’t carry much weight, but Torts loves to express himself in front of the camera, so it might be a fair barometer in this case.

• boing007 says:

Send Luongo to New Jersey. Déjà vu all over again.

Richard R

33. monmick says:

Bryzgalov to the Wild. I bet Halak is going to the Oilers for one of the young studs…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

34. desertman says:

I like the concept of building from the draft and building from within. I like Bergevin’s concept of being patient, but can anyone please explain the following:

1. Greg Pateryn has been the best Dman in hamilton, is a right handed shot, and is big and somewhat physical. WHY hasnt he had a shot yet? If im him, im starting to get pretty pissed off at the way this organization is treating me, considering nate and tinman have had chances and played less of a role in hamilton and filled less of a potential role in montreal.

2. How can PK subban continue to regress as a player under therrien? Eller needs a role otherwise his regression will continue. As much as i hate to say it, Babcock knows a thing or two and maybe we should stop playing dmen on their off sides, especially considering the rinks are smaller so dmen have less time to make adjustments and therefore make it even more relevant to play their correct side.

3. Dont mind weaver, think hes good value, but whats the point? I have to believe something else is in the works.

• Forum Dog says:

I agree with the Pateryn comment. Obviously they are more comfortable with Weaver’s NHL experience, which is sensible but doesn’t help instill confidence in your youngsters. As for the playoffs, Weaver has a grand total of 11 post-season games in his career, so Habs aren’t getting a proven playoff guy.

35. habsfan0 says:

Not sure what to make of this Mike Weaver acquisition.
    On second thought,I do.
    Much ado about nothing.

36. AH says:

New guy: 5′ 10″, 183 lbs, 35 yrs old, defence……hmmm, so where exactly is management going with this team?? We desperately need scoring and have a glut of defencemen; is there some sort multi-player package in the works???

• D Mex says:

Hmmm …. Canucks season headed south, I wonder if Gillis (who seems to have the perfect disposition to post here) is contemplating a shot at fan support by getting another ‘ local ‘ talent into the fold.

Josh Gorges, who may now be redundant in MTL, is from BC. Mike Weaver is a former Canuck, and Eller is a fully NHL-ready C-man. It’s been mentioned that Kesler’s agent is in Vancouver. Oh, and the two clubs have recently done business (Diaz – Weise)

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

37. habsr4ever says:

Solid pick up. I expect another move now as well. Booey to Nashville. Then as always- Bergy will do NOTHING else but build thru the draft as we wait patently for #25. I hear Price is out another week – any confirmation?
    Markov will sign for two years at $5.5 M. I hope we sign Murray for another year as well at the same price tag – $1.5 M. Nothing wrong with him as our 6 or 7 Dman. If Weaver pans out – may we keep him instead because he does shoot right and is younger (just not as big)?
    bottom line – we got our depth dman that shoots right. don’t expect anything else unless the Oilers offer up Yakupov for Markov and Eller. Stay tuned.

38. jols says:

Trades are picking up right now. TSN and Sporsnet will have 8 hours of nothing to talk about tomorrow, everything is going down now. lol.

• Forum Dog says:

It’s funny ’cause all the trades are for 4th and 5th round picks. So many teams are on the “bubble” that they are hedging. Get someone that maybe can help them get a playoff spot, but don’t give up too much in case it doesn’t work out…..

All the talk of Brodeur or Halak to Minny, and they get Bryzgalov instead.

39. Rad says:

So Dustin Penner only cost Washington a 4th Rounder — why couldn’t we have made THAT deal?

• krob1000 says:

He would have been Canadiens 4th eading scoring forward….and teams biggest forward…not worth a 4th. Yikes what is going on in the NHL this deadline? Weaver gets a 5th and Penner a 4th? Conacher and Corvo waived?

• The_Truth says:

Penner is too big for this team. Better to get a 5’9 Dman. Tinordi was too big as well, so now things are in balance.

Honestly, Tinordi wasn’t great, but not sure if Weaver is an upgrade for what this team needs.

40. monmick says:

Gomez on Waivers. Gotta admit it’s tempting…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

41. dano58 says:

my lines
    plex, gio and either chucky or bourny
    dd, patches and gally
    eller, briere and either bourny or chucky (speed line)
    white and any of moen, weise or prust
    defense
    pk and emelin (back to his normal side)
    markov and weaver (pateryn or nygren next year)
    any of murray bealieu tiny
    trade georges
    retire frankie
    dump bourque
    do I need to explain

GO HABS GO!!!

42. Marcusman says:

Ya….we didn’t need a 6′ 4″ 240 left winger anyway………if Penner was on the block the Habs are nuts not to have bettered the Caps offer.

43. twilighthours says:

I love this website.

44. piper says:

WTF is Bergevin doing???? Same move as he made last year and how good did that work out for the team. This better be the prelude to somerthing else.

45. PrimeTime says:

Penner to the Caps

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

46. Storman says:

MB says Mike Weaver comes from good pedigree his dad was quite the star in New York.

47. Feraco says:

Conacher put on waivers from Ottawa. He was traded for Ben bishop last year. Ouch.

Very funny tweet from Ryan Whitney.

Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6 19m
    A little part of @tsnjamesduthie dies every time a trade happens today

49. Prop says:

So, this about sums up a lot of people’s reaction to the acquisition of Weaver?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

50. Un Canadien errant says:

Team 1040 Vancouver discussing the possibility of a Ryan Kesler getting traded before the deadline. His agent is in town, they had dinner last night. The pundits think they should trade him now, and get some players back that they can ‘audition’ and groom for the last twenty games of the season.

Roberto Luongo isn’t moping, but the feeling is that the Canucks at this point would listen to any offer from anyone for his services, so basically a salary-contract dump. I noticed that the Panthers put Scott Clemmensen on waivers.

Apparently Canucks management is holed up in Phoenix, will stay there on Wednesday for the deadline.

Morale is good in the dressing room, although the Canucks’ dressing room is supposedly a less boisterous one than normal. Ryan Kesler is moody and a little grumpy, but that’s normal for him. Any ill-will is some players resentment at Coach Tortorella for not getting enough playing time.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• 24 Cups says:

Vancouver is toast.

With teams like this, it’s all about timing. Wait too long and you’re Calgary sucking wind. Accept reality and you just might be Buffalo, a team with a positive future.

51. monmick says:

Tougher, older, Raphaël Diaz…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

52. veryhabby says:

I hate this move.

We have 2 depth areas…goaltending and Dmen depth. So why would we go and get another Dman. Out of our starting 6, our 7th damn in Bouillon, and our #8-9 dmen in AHL (Beaulieau/Drew) why in the world did we go get Weaver.

If Tinordi or Murray are removed from our line up, I will be even more disappointed. We need size. We don’t need Dman depth…so we go get exactly WHAT WE DON’T NEED – A SMALL DEPTH DMAN.

the only serious need on our D corp is someone to play with PK. That would cost more then we have to get, so I figured MB will be patient till Tinordi or Beaulieu can fill that role. But unless he went out and got a #2-3 type Dman then a dman was not what this team needs.

So we are heading into the playoffs with an older, smaller D then what we iced yesterday.

Pathetic. this team isn’t all that great. Now is the time to allow Beaulieu and Tinordi to develop their NHL game so that next year they are ahead of the curve, and possibly with some smart moves, we can start next year a much better team then this year.

This move keeps us from moving forward.

• Mattyleg says:

Weaver logs over 20 mins with the Pants, and blocks a ton of shots.

If Gorges is injured (didn’t he go down last night?) then this is a great pick-up for nothing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs_54321 says:

key is that he’s a right defenceman we had no righty depth

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m guessing this guy was signed because Bergevin is getting some pretty good offers for Markov or is possibly working on another trade that would involve a defenceman. Maybe the trades don’t work out and we’re stuck with him, maybe not….

53. Kooch7800 says:

I like this trade already…..just because of this:

“Lets Go Canada”

54. Habfun says:

Must be something to follow this, maybe George or Markov or both on the move for a forward!
    We can only hope there is some logic to this!

It\’s all about the CH

55. Ron says:

McKenzie just twetted Dustin Penner a Cap

56. Luke says:

So, I guess we can all see that Weaver is exactly One Spread Eagle Patches tall…

57. jimmy shaker says:

The HIO brass is really slow…..this is like what, an hour old story. We’ve already freaked out, stuffed our faces, had about 5 shots of grampa’s old cough medicine and came back here to the site fully calm and rationale. Now hopefully Gomez comes back, or metropolit or halpern or darche, then we can do it all again! Rinse, then repeat!

Wow!

Shaker out!

58. The_Truth says:

You have to laugh at the kind of moves MB makes. Not that it hurts the team, it’s just with all the talk about Kesler, Moulson, Kane, Stewart, Vanek etc. out there, MB storms in and picks up Weaver (likely for Hamilton) and that might be it. Like last year with Drewiske, which turned out to be a useless move.

I don’t know why I find it funny. It’s just like opening a big boxed present at Xmas and finding a $5 gift certificate for Winners.

• Kooch7800 says:

Weaver won’t be going to Hamilton. Most likely Tin man will be returning back to Hamilton. This guy is a right D man which the habs have needed . He is def a bottom pairing guy

“Lets Go Canada”

• The_Truth says:

So we trade a 5th for Drewiske, sign him for 2 years and then send him to Hamilton, then trade another 5th for 36 year old, 5’9 Weaver, with a Dcorps of

Subban-Markov
        Emelin-Gorges
        Murray-Tinordi
        Beaulieu-Bouillon
        Pateryn

Weaver is a rental too. Didn’t we have a better guy like him in Diaz?
        Hmmm…

• Kooch7800 says:

Diaz was not the greatest at D this year and we upgraded with Weezy. Drewskie I can’t explain at all. He was just depth for last year but the fact he was resigned in the offseason I don’t really understand

“Lets Go Canada”

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t claim to know how to run a hockey team, but it is obvious that Weaver ain’t going to Hamilton. First, why waste a draft pick on that? Second, he would have to clear waivers.

• johnny boy says:

Mike Weaver won’t be in Hamilton. He plays 20 min a night for Florida. PK. Tough minutes. He’ll immediately be in the top 5 in hits and blocked shots for Habs. If no one else gets traded, he’ll be in the 3rd pair replacing Doug Murray, who is too slow to play D on this team.

Markov-Subban
      Gorges-Emelin
      Weaver-Tinordi

• Kooch7800 says:

I would put money on it that Tin man goes back to the Hammer

“Lets Go Canada”

• scarboro_habitant says:

i think murray has been worthy of a spot.

• The_Truth says:

Ok, so Weaver is a rental for the big club. You don’t take out Murray who is playing great. I guess he will replace Tinordi/Beaulieu on the bottom pairing.

well, ok then….

• Forum Dog says:

Murray played 20 minutes just last night against one of the better teams in the NHL. He keeps the other team honest, especially in front of the net. He should not (and will not) have his spot taken by Weaver. Tinordi will likely be sent down, which IMO is not encouraging, but that is another conversation.

• adamkennelly says:

Murray has earned his spot of late. Lets send Tinordi down and dump Murray right before the playoffs – so Weaver can play.

just slightly worse idea is to to the same thing so I can play.

59. Mattyleg says:

Hey, I have it.

Gorges and Weaver play similar games.
    Gorges is much more valuable than Weaver.
    We trade Gorges for some up-front talent and a pick from a team that needs a shutdown D guy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. joeybarrie says:

Top PK player on the Panthers for many years.
    Top shot blocker.
    Among the top in hits.
    Seems like he would help us.
    Looks like we have too many D, and will probably make another move.

ALL GOOD THINGS if you ask me.

• Forum Dog says:

He is not a bad player and probably can help a bit, but lets not forget that the minutes and numbers are while playing with one of the worst teams in the league. The guy has played for 6 teams in 11 years, and 4 of those were with the Panthers. So 6 teams in 8 years. And was never traded, always signed as a UFA. Never drafted. Just an average to below-average NHL player.

Yeah he didn’t cost much, but Montreal has not improved considerably as a result of his acquisition. And he may just end up costing Tinordi or Beaulieu a chance to play down the stretch and into the playoffs. Which may be good from a contractual perspective, but won’t contribute to their confidence and overall development.

• The_Truth says:

Yes, another move makes sense. Maybe Tinordi or Beaulieu in a package, for a scoring winger!

61. krob1000 says:

OK this is crazy…people coming on here and saying there is overreaction. This is a team that currenttly (as far s we know (maybe Gorges hurt?) is actaully floating too many dmen right now. Beualieu who is much needed is in the minors, Tinordi just had a decent showing against a top team and held his own with Kings tough guy. The Habs cannot ice a 2nd pp pairing on D and have not established possession in the last how many pps on the second half because of this? Hard to organize a pp breakout when you are actually outnumbered 4-3 in energetic bodies.

Corvo was available…yes he is not great defensively, but Weaver is not great offensively…Corvo was free and has a lower cap hit. What is Montreal lacking? they are a top 10 defensive team…they are a bottom feeder offensively. Both guys are RH, there is not edge either way in toughness department. So what did Habs gain?

Everyone can say overeaction but I think it is more disbelief…sure news will follow and we will all react then but in the meantime a collective “what the F&@$!” is the normal reaction right now.

Someone has to go on D and to add someone with noone leaving? and for a guy who is not an upgrade? this is more than strange. Sure it may be a precursor to something else…that may or may not happen….but right now…this has happened.

I don’t doubt Mike Weaver’s ability to be a pk dman or a bottom pairing stay at home guy…I seriously question his fit with this team…at this point ….now by Wed could all be diff’t but right now? what the f&*$?!

Perhaps Gorges hurt, or Gorges on the move? if that is the case I get it.

Fair points and questions. My comments regarding Corvo on previous thread were because we have had offensive only dmen before like Kaberle etc.. and they didn’t help our team. Obviously another trade will occur or indeed a Gorges or someone is hurt, thus the move.

• joeybarrie says:

Why has Corvo been on 6 different teams in 4 years?
        Why did Ottawa (lower in the standings) even put him on waivers?
        Why hasnt any other team including Florida who just lost a dman not picked him up?

• krob1000 says:

Why have both Ottawa and Carolina traded back for him over that period? Why did 6 pro scouts decide he was worth trading for ? always diff points of view….there has to be more to this…either Murray or Gorges is going IMO. Unless this truly is much ado about nothing and Bouillon is going and this is a depth move but I don’t imagine you trade for that. Either way another obstacle just got put in Tinordi and Beulieu’s way.

• Storman says:

Cleann yourr keybnoard

62. 25 while im alive says:

Anybody know Bozon’s condition?

63. Marcusman says:

Plan the route……

64. Cliveww says:

Hopefully there is some logic behind this. On the surface it is very strange. Drewiske was as good, younger and we are paying him already.

65. Rad says:

Nice hit on Dupuis. Hope he has a few more of those still left in the tank.

66. Ron says:

What till the new poll question comes up. Deal good or bad.

67. Sportfan says:

If his he was 6’1 no one would be freaking out.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Uhhmmmm I am not sure the video of Roussel filling Weaver is going to help the cause here.

Now the hit on Dupuis, that is a beauty.

69. Storman says:

Apparently he is great in the locker room and his dad McCloud looked great in a cowboy hat.

70. Mattyleg says:

All Hail Mike Weaver!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

71. johnny boy says:

Is this a prelude to Markov being traded? Or is it just the end of Francis Bouillon’s career? Because this guy seems like a slight younger (3-4 years) Franky Boo.

72. Luke says:

And it’s an Odd one.

73. DipsyDoodler says:

The Mike Weaver era starts here.