Habs acquire defenceman Weaver from Panthers; Price back on ice

The Canadiens have acquired defenceman Mike Weaver from the Florida Panthers in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick in 2015.

Weaver, a 5-foot-10, 183-pounder who shoots right, has played 55 games with the Panthers this season, picking up six assists and 23 penalty minutes to go along with a minus-9. He has 101 hits and 94 blocked shots while averaging 18:47 of ice time. Four Canadiens have more hits this season than Weaver: Alexei Emelin (137), Douglas Murray (118), P.K. Subban (111) and Lars Eller (110).  Four Canadiens have more blocked shots: Josh Gorges (171), Andrei Markov (140), Subban (100) and Douglas Murray (97).

In 585 career regular-season games, the 35-year-old Weaver has 7-79-86 totals and 213 PIM. (Photo above is of Weaver checking Habs’ Max Pacioretty during game last season.)

“This is actually my first time being traded,” Weaver said on the Canadiens’ website. “I was at Pittsburgh’s training camp and I was picked up on waivers by Vancouver and that’s the closest I’ve been to a trade. Fortunately over the years I haven’t really had to deal with this but it’s an exciting situation going into an Original Six team that’s in a high spot in the standings and in a playoff position. I’m really excited to be coming to Montreal.”

The Panthers also placed former Canadien Scott Gomez on waivers Tuesday. In 29 games this season, the 34-year-old Gomez has 1-7-8 totals and is minus-9. It was also reported Tuesday afternoon that the Panthers had acquired goalie Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for goalie Jacob Markstrom and forward Shawn Matthias.

The NHL trade deadline is at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The Canadiens held an optional practice Tuesday afternoon in Segunda, Calif., with seven players taking part at the beginning. Goaltender Dustin Tokarski was joined by Lars Eller, Ryan White, Francis Bouillon, George Parros, Brandon Prust and Michael Bournival. After undergoing some medical treatments for his lower-body injury, goalie Carey Price joined them. Price, who has missed all four games since the Olympic break with the injury, spent about 15 minutes on the ice with goalie coach Stephane Waite. He plans to skate on his own again Wednesday.

Coming off a 2-1 loss in Los Angeles Monday night, the Canadiens continue their four-game West Coast road trip Wednesday night when they visit the Anaheim Ducks (10 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Peter Budaj will make his fifth straight start in goal replacing Price.

“It felt good to get on the ice,” Price told reporters in California after practice. “It’s coming down to the important part of the year and I want to go into this stretch 100 per cent. I’m feeling good and progressing. The last 20 games of the year are a real mental grind and I want to make sure I’m prepared for the rest of the year and the playoffs. We still have a lot of hockey left this year and I want to make sure I’m good to go. It’s manageable but I want it to be 100 per cent before we go into the important stages of the year.”

After Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens travel to Phoenix to face the Coyotes on Thursday (9 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) before wrappingup the trip Saturday in San Jose against the Sharks (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Wilfredo Lee/The Associated Press)

Price ‘making progress’ on lower-body injury, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Practice report, Canadiens.com

Changing on the fly for new Hab Weaver, Canadiens.com

Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers, NHL.com

Trade Tracker, NHL.com

Big names could be available at deadline, NHL.com

Players in play at trade deadline, TSN.ca

How it feels to be traded (video), Sportsnet.ca

1,719 Comments

1. piter says:

I’ve been reading quite a bit about Eller’s future with the Habs. I figure I’d throw my two cents worth in. I’m thinking that Eller will never be more than a 3rd line centre. I’ve heard a lot about how much potential he has, and its just a matter of time until he’s going to bust out and start scoring. Looking over his career, he’s never really been a high scorer. I don’t think he’s going to break the trend now and become a prolific goal scorer. He’s as good as he’s gonna get. I think he has reached his potential. I don’t think he has progressed over the years as expected, he just hasn’t taken that next step. I wish he did, I’ve always liked Eller. I thought he was the heir apparent for the #1 line. The only problem with that is the 1st line centre is expected to get 50-60 pts. We can’t keep a roster spot open for a players expected potential, especially one who is falling short of expectations. I remember hearing a clip at the beginning of the season with Therrien, saying he’d expected Eller to take the next step in his development this season. I’m not so sure he has, at least in the managements eyes. Lets hope Larry turns things around, and we pick up some real wingers for him to play with. Go Habs Go!!

2. SmartDog says:

I’ve just had my 15th (at least) Tim’s in the ‘roll up’ season.

No winners – not one. Two ways to lose is what I say.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

3. Cal says:

Price being shut down for the season?

Otherwise, the trade makes no sense.

• Habanero78 says:

They said Price was skating with the team. So I’m hoping he’s not, I think it’s fairly obvious that MB is looking for depth in the organization.

4. SmartDog says:

I find myself only hoping Bergevin doesn’t do something stupid.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

5. Sportfan says:

Its not trade center its signing day!!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

6. BriPro says:

Even though Stamkos is apparently ready to return, dealing St Louis now will certainly not help Tampa’s chances, come the playoffs.
    Callahan might work as hard as Gallagher does, but he’s certainly not the same pedigree as MSL.

What does Sather care about having picked up a 38-year old player, his talent notwithstanding?!

By the time Tampa starts to benefit from the draft picks Sather so astutely gave up (yet again), he’ll be in a geriatric ward somewhere.

7. Alex_425 says:

So, is it believed that the Habs are trying to ship Bourque out at the moment?

But I’m no expert….

8. Maritime Ronn says:

Rangers paid a huge price, but Sather knows how to count.
    Glen Sather – 70 years old.
    Life expectancy of a male living in the USA: 75
    How much does Sather care about a 2015 draft choice that might play NHL in 2019?

Molasses. .. Cracked me up.

10. Sportfan says:

Players who behave like St Louis make me sad, if all this stuff about him is true.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Grimmly says:

I think MSL’s agent is on here defending him, what he did was stomp his feet and cried because he did not get his way this year. Anything about 2009 means sh!t because he would have been asking for a trade every since, not just in the last weeks Im glad the pouting little b!tch is not on our team, because any class the little twirp had was flushed down the toilet

11. slapshot777 says:

The Rangers paid a steep price for Martin St. Louis . Callahan and a pick to me would have been sufficient but to give a second pick on top of that the Lightning have definitely won that trade. Why wasn’t Sather on the booze when we traded McDonough to them? Maybe Gainey stopped him and said Glenn your giving me way to much for Gomez.

• krob1000 says:

Callahan is a free agent with some serious contract demands…Tampa can sort of absorb that given their state taxes…can get away with less money but same amount in Callahans pocket.

• BriPro says:

Tampa gets a 1st round draft pick in 2015, and a 2nd in 2014 which becomes a 1st if the Rangers make it to the conference final.
      If Tampa signs Callahan, Rangers get a 2nd in 2015 and Tampa gets N.Y.’s 7th rounder in 2015.

And according to Renaud Lavoie, the Habs are VERY active in trying to get Vanek as well as trying to deal Bourque. One carton of molasses for another.

12. shiram says:

Leafs fans are in uproar as Phaneuf was not at morning skate.

13. boing007 says:

How about Maggie the Monkey? Duthie might like that.

Richard R

Btw, Habs are goin to dial in a big stinker tonight. It’s almost like a tradition on trading day.

15. Mattyleg says:

One!
    One Trade Deadline Deal!

Ah-ah-ah-ahhhhhh!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. UKRAINIANhab says:

Parenteau to Montreal almost done? Wth Bergevin…

17. GL says:

Rumor – Habs Claim Eddie Shack from Toronto.

Boing, DD does hit to hurt. It’s just no one can feel it. It’s one of those if the tree falls in te forest and no on is there… Does it still make noise?

• 25insight says:

Teemo is silently praying that our small and fast french quebecer gets sent packing too.

• boing007 says:

Speaking of noise, I would like more microphones set up along the boards at hockey rinks. Then we could accurately measure the noise levels of DD’s hits. Probably something like this: Ping!

Richard R

19. boing007 says:

St Louis to NYC, send DD to Tampa Bay.

Richard R

20. 25insight says:

Tampa wins this hands down. first and second AND callahan. Yes for this year the rangers benefit more but those picks could turn into a ton of value.

21. GL says:

Nothing on the horizon!!

I don’t get why anyone wouldn’t want to play in Florida. Great weather, zero pressure, hot Cuban girls, lots of exotic beverages and establishments, lower taxes. What’s wrong with these players?

23. Adidess says:

To me, re-signing a veteran with an expiring contract, as opposed to trading him, means two key things.

1. The player has met or exceed expectations during the course of his contract/time with the team.

2. More important, the player is a key part of the future of the team (no ifs and buts about it).

I’m on the fence regarding trading Markov because of the potentially nice return (see Craig Rivet), but you can really make a case both of these criteria apply to him.

But Gionta? Seriously? How can one want an improved team going forward but also wants to re-up Gionta? Let’s resign Moen while we’re at it. I’m not comparing the two, just saying they’ll each give you less and less every year that goes by.

24. veryhabby says:

NYR are nuts. I like STL, but way too much to give up.

1st 2015, 2nd 2014, PLUS Callahan.

A pick goes back to NYR if Callahan resigns with TB. So basically Callaghan, their captain at this point was just a throw in??????

• DipsyDoodler says:

But they weren’t able to re-sign Callahan, so essentially they let him go and replaced him by a much better player.

They’re now a serious contender to make it out of the East.

Tampa on the other hand went from contender to bubble team.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

This just improved the Rangers considerably. St. Louis is one of the leagues premiere snipers. NY is instantly better. TB took a step back.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• veryhabby says:

I’m looking long term, or “near future”. STL is only signed thru next season. So for next 2 yrs they are better then if Callahan had resigned. But after that….something tells me TB can get gems with their draft picks

25. habsguru says:

MSL’s request was more so about being close to his family than being slighted by Mgmt.

26. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Rangers just got better for two seasons. Tampa Bay got worse.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

27. adamkennelly says:

Bourque and Eller for Vanek and Matt Martin?

28. Luke says:

Hearing discussion about Lightning flipping Callahan and the NYR 1st to Vancouver for Kesler and Edler. Plus an exchange of lesser picks and prospects.

Pieces still in motion. Very fluid process.

Have I ever said how much I hate the HIO mobile app?

30. ooder says:

i wonder if St. Louis was russian, how many people would be taking a dump on his character and integrity

• Grimmly says:

I will, hes being a big cry baby about what happened at the Olympics. Please don’t tell me this is NOT the reason, because if you think it is , then your very naive.

• krob1000 says:

I watched his former Gm last night say that he wanted out back in 2009….Brian Lawton was the acting Gm at the teim but said he couldn;t move him for anything taht was fair so he didn;t….but this is not just about the Olympics….taht may have beent he alst straw but it is more to do with Marty living near NEw York and wanting to be closer to home than anything else.

• krob1000 says:

see my post below…he has been trying to get out for years….since 09. He delivered at an elite lever for 5 years while having not wanted to be there…not exacty unprofessional.

• Grimmly says:

Seriously? You think him demanding to ONLY going to NYR was not unprofessional? and JUST after being snubbed at the Olympics, open your eyes

• krob1000 says:

He has quietly been trying to do this for 5 years… his “demand” was put off for 5 years and the Lightning made out rpetty good on the deal. Noone loses here….Tampa got Callahan , a first and a 2nd. IF a legit deal was not availalbe then it wouldn’t have been done …again…as has been the case for years. If they didn’t move him he would have done what he has always done….performed at an all star level for them.

• Strummer says:

He’s lived in Greenwich Ct., which is a suburb of New York for years. Nowhere else intersts him and his family.

He also has a NMC so if he’s living up to the terms of his contract. That’s hardly “unprofessional”
          ______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• ont fan says:

You think peoples minds aren’t changed by St. Louis attitude the last month?

• Sportfan says:

Hey my friend said basically the exact thing! He said if his name was St.Louisov he’d have been destroyed by the media.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. Grimmly says:

NYR, the place where players go to die, GL Marty, hopefully you dont become the next Drury, Gomez, and somewhat Nash and Richards

Vanek? Well, if people hate my man DD’s contract watch what happens when Vanek plays here and produces like Rene Bourque.

• Alex says:

Those are my thoughts exactly. I don’t think Vanek is worth the money and term he will get in the summer, or what we would have to give to get him in a trade

What’s the deal with Gionta? Are Habs tryin to sign him, move him or just lose him for nothing in July? Is Bergevin even awake?

34. krob1000 says:

Just so people are aware…Marty St Louis has been trying to get out of Tamps since 2009. Brian Lawton was on a show with Theo Fleury, Mcsorley and Marty Turco and he confirmed that St Louis had asked back in 09 to leave. THat was prior to the first Olympic snub

35. mdp2011 says:

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL 1m
    The Montreal Canadiens might be in on Thomas Vanek. #told

36. twilighthours says:

Man I gotta go, you know, work. It’s going to be sad missing you jokers for the next couple hours.

37. Kooch7800 says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 3m
    Told Aboslutely nothing imminent between the Avs & Canadiens. Have talked in the last few days but nothing close.

“Lets Go Canada”