Habs acquire defenceman Drewiske from Kings

On a day when the Boston Bruins made a major move, acquiring Jaromir Jagr from the Dallas Stars, the Canadiens made a minor depth move Tuesday, acquiring defenceman Davis Drewiske from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick this year.

Drewiske, a 6-foot-2, 222-pound product of the University of Wisconsin, played 20 games with the Kings this season, posting 1-3-4 totals with 14 penalty minutes and a plus-3.

Last season, when the Kings won the Stanley Cup, the 28-year-old played nine regular-season games, scoring two goals, and wasn’t used at all during the playoffs.

Davis Drewiske is a defenceman with good size and experience who has already played more than 120 games in the NHL,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “He adds significant depth to our group of defencemen.”

The Canadiens later announced that defenceman Nathan Beaulieu had been sent back to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. In two games with the Canadiens, Beaulieu had one assist and was plus-2.

NBC hockey analyst Pierre McGuire was impressed with the move to acquire Drewiske.

“He’s a trememdous depth player … 6-2 about 225 … one of the hardest-working players I’ve seen,” McGuire told Mitch Melnick during his regular afternoon segment on TSN Radio 690.  “Last year during the Stanley Cup final he never complained once. Now you’re talking about going four rounds, tons of travel, coast to coast.

“Even by the Stanley Cup final, he was out there practising with Bernie Nicholls and he was just such a determined guy. He is one of those players that his work habits are infectious and impeccable. And so this is all about character more than anything else.

“Is he a great player? No. But is he big, is he physical, is he robust? Yes. Is he going to cause problems? No. This is a very good acquisition I think.”

McGuire said it’s a case of the Kings giving “a really good kid a great chance,” adding that “he’s going to want to prove a point.”

“He’s just really stoic, but he’s just so full of energy and strong and well-built and well-conditioned,” McGuire said. “I endorse this. This is great.

“He’s not going to be intimidated about playing in Montreal. … he’s a mature kid. He played a lot of huge games at Wisconsin.”

Drewiske, who will wear No. 44 with the Canadiens, is earning a pro-rated $650,000 U.S. this season and can become an unrestricted free agent in the summer.

The Bruins acquired Jagr from the Stars in exchange for a conditional second-round draft pick and two prospects – Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne. The conditional second-round pick this year will become a first-round pick if Boston advances to the Eastern Conference final.

The Canadiens visit the Philadelphia Flyers Wednesday (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and then play host to the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday and Jagr and the Bruins on Saturday at the Bell Centre.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported on Twitter that Colby Armstrong, who appeared to suffer a knee injury during Monday’s victory over the Carolina Hurricanes, has been placed on injured reserve.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. Mavid says:

shootout…interesting that the coach for team canada is a man…I just assumed it had to be a woman…

2. gp52 says:

Mcguire is a real genius. according to him one of drewiskies real positives is that he never complained about the travel during the playoffs. I guess the other guys on the kings were complaining like crazy and thats why they lost some games.

• habs12 says:

I may be wrong, but I don’t think Drewiske played at all during the Kings’ Cup run last year…So that may be what he was referring to in terms of not complaining. Whether he was deserving of playing or not, is a different story.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Mcguire. Is he a great analyst? No. Is he robust? Yes.

3. habs001 says:

The Habs are doing the rebuild the right way…Lots of prospects and potential prospects in the picks coming up…This year has been a pleasure and anything they do in the playoffs is extra..We have to realize that the teams that make the playoffs are pretty close…I can see many of the first round series being decided by o/t games and scoring at the right time…Many posters will disagree but i would not be suprised if the Habs make it to the conference final but also not suprised if they loose in the first round….

4. L Elle says:

I see by some comments, a song is in order. :)

I’m watching, and right in the middle of a good game
    Like all at once I get up from something that keeps
    going at my brain
    Before I go insane I hold your poster to my head
    And spring up in my bed screaming out the words I dread

Jaro, I love you
    (I think I love you)

This morning, I woke up with this feeling
    I didn’t know how to deal with and so I just decided to myself
    I’d never hide it, and always talk about it
    And didn’t I go and post it, then I spewed it on HIO

Jaro, I love you
    (I think I love you)

I think I love you so what am I so afraid of?
    I’m afraid that Peter will erase a love there is no cure for
    I think I love you isn’t that what life is made of?
    Though it worries me to say that I’ve begun to love Budaj

I don’t know what I’m up against
    I don’t know what it’s all about
    I got so much to think about, hey

Chorus

Believe me you really don’t have to worry
    I only want to make you happy
    And if you say, “Hey, go away”, I won’t
    But I think better still I better stay around and love you
    Do you think I am a case? Let me ask you to your face
    Do you think you love me? I know I love you

(Jaro’s verse)

I think you are fool
    I think you are fool
    I think you are fool
    I think you are fool

5. Mavid says:

and the Ladies tie it up in the last 2 minutes…GO CANADA GO..

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

Poll Question: ‘Do you wish the Canadiens had acquired Jaromir Jagr instead of the Bruins?’

…seems I was in the 35% minority

…it would have been fun, especially for seeing if Pleks would reach another level with His friend and countryman

…do I ‘wish’ Jagr was signed by Us rather than they ? …absolutely …but not at any cost affecting the future of Our Team

…I think Jagr would have enjoyed Montreal too …He is after all ‘a Montreal kinda guy’ :)

…yet, once again, We are yet to have the luxuries of roster flexibility that the Bruins and the Penguins have …the price, for Us, would not be worth it in the longterm

…but give MB another season or two and We will be attracting the elite among players once again

…besides, I don’t need a Jagr that is a shadow of himself to love the Habs just as They are

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Jagr would have been a dsitraction like Kovalev was at the end…not an MB/MT guy.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…could never understand the Kovalev lovers among Habs Fans

…You are likely very correct about the distraction element to Jagr

…but under different circumstances I would like to have seen Pleks & Jagr out of curiosity alone :)

7. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Guess MB did not want the purse snatcher…no players with mugshots allowed on the Habs anymore…

8. Harditya says:

Ovechkin is finally turning it around as a player. Glad to see this.
    20 goals in 36 games, making him the the 3rd best goal scorer this season in the NHL.

9. habs-fan-84 says:

This is the exact type of trade I was hoping for (depth defenseman). Hope MB is done. With Bourque coming back (hopefully soon), we’re good up front IMO.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Diaz does not come back or goes down again, you might not think that.

I would really like to see Toronto and Boston play each other in the first round of the playoffs. Hopefully they would just beat the tar out of each other, and go 7 games.

11. The Juice says:

Don’t look now but Ovie has 20 goals…good for 3rd in the league

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

Saw that, perhaps Oates knows what he is doing and just needed time to get that team playing the game he wanted from them. Could be a scary team to play against come playoff time if they make it.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m not a big Ovechkin fan, but it’s good to see, if only to see the talking heads who wrote him off so easily eat crow.

12. donmarco says:

Islanders just bumped Rangers out of 8th.

13. Jimmy9Toes says:

I like the Drewiske trade. Here is a guy who is hungry and is also playing for a contract next year. I am not saying that MB is going to sign him in the off season, but if he plays well then someone will. Maybe MB can package him off with someone in the minors or a pick for a better pick or a prospect. I mean he has played in the NHL and has some size. Hopefully he plays physical and with a little bit of an edge.

Agree, i know nothing, zero, zilch, nada about him. BUT, he was on the roster of the Cup champs last year who had a very deep defence corp last season. He played in 20 games for them this year with most of the defence returning, he can’t be horrible. Had he been the 6th/7th dman for the Florida Panthers, I would be a little more skeptical.

Have to assume Dudley did some watching of this guy, its what he does. May not to amount to anything, but don’t see how it hurts us.

• mdp2011 says:

Same here, never heard of him before today, but I trust Bergevin and Dudley’s judgment. If this were a PIerre Gauthier pick up, I would be really worried.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

I live in Alberta and see the Kings quite regularily and i have seen him play the last couple of years and he is a better pick up than any of the guys that were just put on waivers and he only cost us a fifth. If he sucks in his first couple of games then Nathan is back in. I am not sure where he fits in when Diaz comes back though, most likely our first fill in.

• donmarco says:

Ditto. MB hasn’t made a bad move this year and neither has Therrien. Benefit of doubt merited.

14. frontenac1 says:

@burly. The way you just explained it,now it makes sense .I was worrying that the Hootch was doing weird things to me again.Saludos Amigo!

15. mdp2011 says:

Bruins up 3-2, but they’ve lost Bergeron for the night from an accidental elbow to the head and now looks like they have lost Hamilton with a head to head shot. Those could be two huge losses for the Bruins.

Edit: Hamilton is back.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Live by the sword…

• Haberoooo13 says:

And Neil took out Kelly’s knee a couple of weeks ago….turns out that could be an interesting 1st round series!

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Ice Storm says:

UPDATE: The Bruins are NOT hurt… It’s just the initiation of their extreme embellishment campaign. New Julien tactic…

IN GALLY’S WE TRUST…

16. Sean Bonjovi says:

After two periods in Carolina the Hurricanes Goalies are leading the Capitals Shooters 6-5.

17. Mavid says:

Watching the turds and the bean heads..how can they count a goal after the play has resumed..and for quite some time…I saw that once before a few years back and it was against the turds that time too…

18. habstrinifan says:

Canadian women’s hockey needs new blood!

19. thehabs21 says:

Just not sure how this is depth, like he hasn’t played more than 42 games in a season, with zero playoff experience. how is getting a dude that hasn’t played a playoff game getting your team equipped for a playoff run?

120 NHL games roughly he has played in, versus the 3-4 games each which Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn have played. I am hopeful that perhaps they expect Diaz back for playoffs, but I think end of day they feel this guy gives a better option for playoffs than any of our rookies. Could be just that simple, and the team is not prepared to give up significant pick/prospect required for other dmen.

• thehabs21 says:

ya but like the bruins get Jagr for two no names and a second round pick. in my mind thats not mortgaging the future, like did you see the players calgary got back, nothing specially at all

• gp52 says:

yeah but he never complained

THere were the days of Tanguay, Wisniewski, Dominic Moore, and others. And while some of those players helped, that is why we had no callups from Hamilton last few years ready to step in. It is a catch 22, you want to make trades to help the team, but you pay for it later.

21. If the team was in 6th and fighting to score goals then you may have point. But the team is scoring and only needs to improve their defense. If it aint broke don’t fix it.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

22. kerrgte says:

Fearless prediction Any forward we get will come from the west. No east GM wants to be the goat who fueled Mtl’s cup bid.

Report Card: 3 new players for a low price. Ryder and Halpern have earned their keep. Let’s hope the newest arrival does too

cheers

23. Mattyleg says:

Yeah.
    Because the most important thing to do is impress people with splash signings.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• thehabs21 says:

Alright, Mattyleg you won’t be such a smart ass when your hearing this over and over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQsCbg7-sk

• thehabs21 says:

Because im getting tired of hearing that shit

• Mattyleg says:

…what?

Hold on.

Lemme see if I get this straight:
          I will be hearing the Bruins’ goal horn over and over because we didn’t sign any high end players, and it will stop me from being such a smart ass to posters on HI/O.

Then you tell me that you’re tired of hearing the Boston goal horn.
          When do you hear this horn?

Is that a correct reading of these posts?
          I’m just trying to make sense of them.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• thehabs21 says:

Well when did i say anything about impressing anyone? Your probably right, we don’t need anyone, this team is definitely good enough to win the cup

• thehabs21 says:

Thought the Horn comment was pretty straight forward not sure how your having trouble understanding

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, so lemme ‘read between the lines’ then.

You think that because Boston signed Jagr and we didn’t make any big signings… every time we play Boston from now on will result in them scoring tons of goals against us.

And you are tired of hearing Boston score tons of goals against us.

We’ve beaten them more than they’ve beaten us, for your information.

And also for your information -not an insult here- ‘your’ means ‘belonging to you’ while ‘you’re’ means ‘you are’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Not good seeing Bautista yelling at Umps tonight, showed up the ump in first inning and now yells at ump on balls and strikes called. He needs to not do this, Jays really gained quite a reputation for this last season.

25. NL Hab says:

So Trouba just signed with the Jets. Hopefully Kristo will be signed also. Bulldogs finish there season on April 21st. 9 more games left. Hopefully they can get him signed and get him into a few games before the year is out.

Et Le But

26. Mattyleg says:

Trouba just signed with the Jets.

There’s Trouba, right there in Winni-city.
    With a capital T that rhymes with ‘J’ (in French) that stands for Jets.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. Gerry H says:

Ouch. After two periods, Carolina has outshot the Caps 24-11.

They are down 5-3. Five goals on 11 shots.

No matter how good your starter is, never, ever underestimate the value of a decent back-up.

28. shakey says:

Love these moves by Bergeron. He clearly has done his homework and is building both the team and the franchise, unlike other GMs who are building for the short term and the expense of the long term.

Lots will happen between now and the playoffs, and anything can happen in the playoffs. GO HABS!!

29. Ice Storm says:

Synopsis: MB in a nutshell… We received a useful big-body defenceman, who, if he works out could be re-signed cheaply (Drewiske), A face-off and PK specialist and experienced veteran who can chip in with offence and be an effective role-player (Halpern), a 30+ goal scorer who is a savy vet with effective playoff experience (Ryder), and a 3rd round draft pick in a heralded “deep” draft F O R: A fifth round pick… oh, and Cole… (off the books)

IN GALLY’S WE TRUST…

30. Dr.Rex says:

This is what MB has assembled leading up to the Deadline:

In: Ryder, Halpern, Drewiskie, 3rd rd pick
    Out: Cole, 5th rd pick

31. Mattyleg says:

So, Riddle me this, HI/Oers:

You’re number 1 in the East.
    You’re number 2 in the NHL.
    You have two of the best players in the game.
    You are in the midst of a record-books winning streak.

WHY do you change your team?

I do a lot of comedy improv.
    There is a good rule of thumb in improv:
    If you’re standing in the wings watching people doing a scene, and you’re enjoying it, don’t try to join it; you’ll only ruin what’s making it good.
    If you see a scene that is struggling, however, go in and add what the scene needs to succeed.

Why did the Pens add a bunch of players to a winning formula?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. JUST ME says:

3 draft choices for Clowe ? Man it is getting worse for the Rangers. I think that they will regret finding Prust too expensive for a long time !.

Jagr for 2 youngsters and a draft choice ? Are they mad ? Way overpaid for an old rental player. I admit that the Bruins have a good farm system and can afford such a bill but are they sure that Jagr will get them closer to the cup ?

So Bergevin`s move seems reasonable after all. We cannot afford to touch our prospects and draft picks. Of course when i hear Pomminville`s name being thrown around it makes me wonder if it would be worth it but i am not sure that the deal is really possible, not sure either if the price would not be too high and also must be carefull no to waste our future for a maybe …

In fairness Boston traded a former OHL fighter who didn’t score in Junior, and another supposed power forward projected to be a bit 4th line player. Boston gave up a potential 1st round draft pick, was a good deal for Boston.

I don’t like Jagr and was worried what he does to chemistry and also how he would play a system requiring backchecking.

But Chiarelli made a good move.

33. frontenac1 says:

Pitkenen hurt bad going for an icing touch up.going off on a stretcher. Damn stupid rule.

34. savethepuck says:

Buffalo is spanking the Pens 4-1 early in the second. Vokoun’s shutout streak comes crashing down with 4 goals on 13 shots in 23:28 minutes.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

35. Mattyleg says:

Patrice Bergeron injured?
    Bruins just Tweeted that he will not return to tonight’s game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. frontenac1 says:

So the new guy doesn’t fight ,is not mean,doesn’t put up many points. Sort of like a smaller version of Hal Gill but with no playoff experience?

• Storman says:

Dont know how to put it except very ho hum player, will be gone right after the season probably will not see the ice in the playoffs, we sort of gave our 5th round pick for some injury insurance,, basically Paul Mara with a different name.

• donmarco says:

He needed depth on D and didn’t want to trade assets for it. Cheap at the price if he just doesn’t screw up. Don’t expect him to fight or score, just to eat minutes and keep Markov and PK fresher. Smart move.

37. Boomer says:

4-1 buffalo ;)

38. habsfan0 says:

4-1 Buffalo.

39. Mattyleg says:

Wow, the Sabres are all over the Pens like an HI/O poster on Desharnais!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. habsfan0 says:

3-1 Bill…er, I mean Sabres!

41. Storman says:

Really do not understand this move, he never under or over impressed me while at Wisconsin…
    I would have rather hung on to our fifth round pick, especially with the luck we have had in that round of late. Seems to me Drewiske will play a few games Therrien will probably trust his simple play decisions a little more than our stud in waiting Nathan Beaulieu, Drewiske is just a real ho hum player, to me makes no sense, unless Diaz is close to being ready to return and Drewiske is just for some added depth and injury insurance…

• donmarco says:

Pretty smart under the radar move to me. Without some semblance of a reliable 6-7 d-man the defense will be gassed by the playoffs. We needed someone stable, with some experience and it cost us very little. None of the 3 call ups were playoff ready IMO.

• Storman says:

LA did not use Drewiske in one playoff game last year and the Canadiens will not either, he is just not that good to put it nicely.. Like I said move makes little sense..Nathan Beaulieu would be way better used gaining experience here than back in Hamilton Drewiske will play a couple of games and then be relegated to the pressbox,

• donmarco says:

You really think we could play Beaulieu (or Tinordi or Pateryn) for 15-18 minutes a night?? Next year yes, this year, no. Not yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulled a similar move tomorrow.

42. otter649 says:

Haven’t watched alot of baseball recently but when did poms poms arrive on the scene (in the stands) hopefully they won’t show up in NHL hockey rinks unless used by cheerleaders…….

43. donmarco says:

I get the sense Bergevin is going to reward his coach and his team by keeping them together. There will be no moves of any significance and there shouldn’t be. We’re not close to Pittsburgh, closer to, if not better than, Boston, and there’s not a person here who thought that 3 months ago. Or even 2. With 6 picks in three rounds, some cap money to play with in a buyer’s market and deep prospects in the system, there’s not a soul on the planet who thought we’d be in this situation a year ago. Here’s to them making no moves and believing in what they’ve accomplished with the players who accomplished it.

• habitual says:

If you mean is this the team Bergevin goes to war with. I think so too. Bu remember that Drewiske is the third player he’s added in the last month. That’s a fair bit.

• donmarco says:

It’s understandable when taking Bourque and Diaz into account. Trades wouldn’t have been made if they weren’t hurt without any sign of a return. But he didn’t add terms or contracts or trade away any top picks. And he got a very good look at our top 3 defensive prospects at the same time. And we kept winning. None of his moves could be considered panicky in any way.

44. Boomer says:

I haven’t had a chance to read the posts about Jagr but I’m gonna give my two cents. Remember last year when Jagr was completely gassed every shift in the playoffs?
    This year is a shorter season granted but at 41 it might be the same thing come playoff time. I’m not too worried about it.
    It’s too bad we couldn’t make it a 6th rounder for Drewiski given our history with 5th round picks ;)

• Marc10 says:

The best thing that can happen to us is for the team to beat Boston with Jagr in a week or so. Do that and you’ve created enough doubt to drive a truck through…

• Marc10 says:

Go point about our 5th rounders. But leave it to Timmins to find something even further down.

I’m curious to see how Mr Timmins will work with Dudley and co. He’s done a great job of drafting and now he’ll be seconded by a very experienced crew.

45. kirbhabs says:

Wish we had Ott

• doublerr says:

This is really a nothing pick up, he has 9 goals 50 assists and 3 fights since he was 18 yrs. old. He’s not tough but doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. We still need a tougher forward for the tougher teams. Emelin gets punched out twice this year and no one does anything, Cooke chased Gionta around the ice the other night and nobody stood up for him. Prust can handle most of this but not all of it. We could use a little more toughness like Patrick Bordeleau in Col and he should come cheap. When the playoffs start teams like Boston will play rougher and try to intimidate their opponents. The best Habs teams always had their share of toughness!

• donmarco says:

This team has proven their toughness time and time again this season. You’re not talking about toughness, you’re talking about fighting, and come the playoffs having a giant tree on skates who is good for nothing but scrapping is useless. We’ve beaten every single team who has tried to goon us out of the game this year. Our weakness is against teams with speed, not teams like the Bruins or Leafs. Look at our record against the Pens, Sens and islanders. Those are the teams that scare me.

• doublerr says:

Do you mean the 6-0 game against the leafs where Bourque was sucker punched by Orr and concussed! or the Bruins giant beating the crap out of Emelin. Whether you like it or not its a reality of the sport. If Lucic runs over CP we have to answer and the answer is not Gorges getting beat up again. When a team knows you cant fight back you’re in trouble.

• donmarco says:

Care to look at our record since that 6-0 embarrassment? That’s when their run started and it hasn’t stopped. And what happened when the Laffs tried it again? We won. And what happened after Chara went psycho? 17 minutes in penalties and guess what? We won. You kind of proved my point.

• doublerr says:

I don’t think the team doesn’t have “team toughness” but in a 7 game series against Boston or Toronto it would help to have a some tougher players. Did you see the Ott/TO game where Carlyle sends out the goons and one of them KOs a guy and the rest of the team looked scared the whole game, not sayin I like it! just sayin!

46. jedimyrmidon says:

Is there any chance that the NYR are the LAK of this year?

A bunch of ‘star’ players underperforming who suddenly all heat up during the playoffs with phenomenal goaltending?

Kings did fire coach partway through year and Sutter seemed to push the buttons. Not sure Fonzie bangin’ on the jukebox can make music with that group anymore.

• Fonzie is done. I walk down 7th avenue most mornings and the street talk is rabid (which is a daily occurrence in NYC I know, just sayin’). The Daily News and all the other rags, apart from hating his one word answers, cynical back-talk and talking down to reporters, just endears him further to the doorway. Can’t imagine he lasts the season.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• donmarco says:

I cringed when I saw him tearing into Hagelin on the bench (not saying he didn’t deserve it, but didn’t have to do it on the Jumbotron). Sean Avery is like Jose Canseco, a jerk and always will be, but his comments on Fonzie were bang on. He’s lost that room.

• Danno says:

The only tune the Fonz will get from smacking the jukebox is “It’s Over”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• donmarco says:

Is there any chance of a Drew Doughty suddenly appearing on their D? No. Do any of their 3 superstars have the grit to match Richards, Williams, etc,? No. Do they have a selfless superstar in Kopitar, the most under rated player in the league? No. So…. no. Remember, the Kings only started to make noise when they fired their coach and they hired Sutter. They’ll stick with Torts and pay for it. But if you could have predicted a NJ/LA final last year, you would have made a lot of money, and that’s why they play the games, so who knows?

47. Skeptical says:

IMO we need a Pominville or a Vanek to match Pittsburgh. we’re pretty close right now and either one of those Guys would match up against iginla to give us that little extra. I wouldn’t depend on Bourque returning for awhile if at all.

• Skeptical… is that you? “Pretty close right now” are you OK? Do you need another case of Helle Dunkles? Can I call you an ambulance? Geez! I was hoping you’d keep that black cloud around a little longer, otherwise Bill, HIB and a few others would zero in only on me!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• I don’t think we’re close to the Pens at all, but we shut good teams down with our play. We don’t have anyone that compares to Sidney , Malkn or Neil. Man for man up front we can’t compete but I like our defense and goaltending better. Plus teams who try and stack their lineup for the playoffs almost never win.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

48. Sportfan says:

So what was that news that Lavoie heard about :P

49. donmarco says:

Clowe to Rangers for 3 picks. Idiot Rangers. Glad it wasn’t Boston, though.

50. Sportfan says:

Watching the Jays game their catcher Arencibia needs to learn how to catch the Knuckleball or there will be a lot of free bases.

Beyond me why Arencibia is starting tonight. They picked up in the trade Dickey’s usual catcher from last season. Gibbons has 1-2 decisions to make per game with this lineup and seems to have missed the first one.

• Lafleurguy says:

Burly, I thought the back-up is a 41 yr old and that Thole who came with Dickey from the Mets was sent down. (old guy’s name escapes me)

“May you live in interesting times.”

Yah he was, but they also have Blanco who has caught Dickey before as well. They shouldn’t have sent down Thole I agree, I shouldn’t dump on Gibbons already, but seems to me when you trade the farm for a Cy Young award winner and you include his primary partner in the trade, might be smart to play them together. But hey who am I to tell Gibby what to do…..

• habsfan0 says:

3 passed balls in less than 2 innings for Jays catcher!
      Of course,if Halak was behind the plate..

51. Marc10 says:

Man I hope Rask completely melts down in the playoffs. I’m still not sold on that guy. He’s OK, not great (especially considering who he has in front of him…)

52. Ice Storm says:

The Lightning look lost without MAB… …doing their laundry.
    That Sustr is a big kid!!!

53. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Maybe this is obvious but if you’re going to get a depth defenceman…get him from a good team…no?

54. frontenac1 says:

Is the new guy a Swiss?

55. One question though; At what point do any of the tryout defensemen lose their rookie eligibility? Meaning, how many games do they have to play before they are no longer considered a Rookie when they are called-up for good?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• HabFab says:

25 normally but this year I don’t know.

• Thanks HF. Was hoping none of these young’uns burn their rookie year and since we have at least three bonafide D-prospects in Tinordi, Pateryn, Nathan, who is gone next year… Frankie? Diaz?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• vancouverite says:

Im pretty sure its 10 normally and 6 for this season.
        Explains why Pateryn and Tinordi were sent back down

• Storman says:

No it is 25 for sure, 6 games is if you play more than 6 games in two separate years ..

• HabFab says:

That is for Juniors playing pro. The only one we had was Chucky and it counts that year (6/10 games) as first year of pro against his UFA qualifying. The 25 games has to do against their NHL rookie status.

• Storman says:

25 is correct, although i believe I remember the number 16 or 17 games was being debated for this abbreviated season, also you lose your rookie status if you play more than 6 games in 2 preceding seasons also you must be under the age of 26 for the start of the season.

56. billylove says:

I live in the Bay Area and watch the Sharkies all the time. Clowe is not what he was 2/3 years ago. MB is smart not going after Clowe. I think all the battles have worn down Clowe and his tank is down to about a quarter full. He also isn’t as interested in dropping the gloves as much as in the past.

57. commandant says:

Analysis of the 5 big deals of the day, including Drewiske.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habstrinifan says:

Hate to say it but Boston made the best deal. The prospects are really ‘forgettable’. And the #1 pick is conditional on them getting thru 2 rounds.

58. Danno says:

That Claude Julien is so full of Boston Creme, it’s going to be a real mess when he finally explodes in anger

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

59. Geez! Almost 100 posts in the time it took me to read the first 160! So, we’re loaded up with defensemen, one on waivers, one Swiss cheese, one likely not coming back this year (Diaz), one peg legged and lung tired (with a wicked point shot), one with a face that’s repaired and can’t fight, one with pock marks all over his body from taking shots en masse, a little bull and a super star. Are we now done on defense? I hope so!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• otisfxu says:

how true,,,,,

And yet that combination you describe so eloquently is 2nd place in the Eastern Conference. Perhaps you should write for TSN?

• Ouch! That hurt! Was just outlining the motley crew that is one of the best in the league… I admit, I didn’t see this defense gelling like this, but hey, I love Emelin’s hitting, PK I always supported and hated the way he was fingered as a disturber, Markov is Markov, with years, Diaz was a revelation, Gorges became a wall, Frankie is a capable1-2 year pick-up, so yeah, overall I’m happy. How could I not be?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

60. Strummer says:

28 year old career minor leaguer has been added for his cease-clearing capabilities.

Kaberle could have done that and helped on the PP as well.

Kabby clears the crease:

Kabby:” Excuse me opposition player would you mind please leaving this area for you are hindering our goaltender’s effectiveness? Thank you very much.”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• otter649 says:

He was playing (regular) for LA but when The Kings got Robyn Rehger he needed to be traded or put on waivers to create rooster space……

61. Marc10 says:

Boston needs Jagr more than we did, but I don’t think they overpaid. Clearly MB wasn’t keen on messing with room chemistry or losing depth.

I’m down with that. Let’s beat Philly.

• Lafleurguy says:

They addressed a weakness which is more balanced scoring. In 2011, they thought Kaberle would jumpstart their weak powerplay, but the results were middling. Still, by winning the Cup, you would have to surmise they didn’t overpay in giving the Leafs a 1st and a highly rated prospect (Joe Colborne).

“May you live in interesting times.”

62. Ice Storm says:

I’m not well-versed at college level hockey being out here on the coast (Victoria). What is it that seems to allow NHL teams to let these kids step right into their line-ups with confidence… Are they that prepared? (Anders Lee just scored in first game for Isles)

63. Marc10 says:

Ah TSN… Scott Cullen who does their ‘Power Rankings’ is out to lunch. Here are his thoughts on the Habs and our resident stud D:

#3 Montreal Canadiens- I wondered on Twitter about whether Habs D P.K. Subban would be a Norris Trophy contender, with Kris Letang and Erik Karlsson injured. He’s offensively-oriented and doesn’t face the toughest competition, but 28 points and plus-11 in 29 games puts him in the discussion.

This is a good one… ‘He’s offensively oriented and doesn’t face the toughest competition…’

Does this guy even watch hockey? PK walked into the league and played Sidney Crosby straight out of the AHL. He just played 30 minutes against the Bruins. WTF?!

64. Lafleurguy says:

When we were down 4-2, and then 5-3 to the Bruins, if you were head coach, how much ice-time would you have given Clowe? San Jose looks like they will make the playoffs so why did they conclude they didn’t want to use Clowe as their own rental (he’s UFA) for the playoff push. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure, and it’s clear Clowe is not treasured in San Jose. San Jose by the way, put Fraser McLaren on waivers back in January and the Leafs snatched him up for nothing in exchange. McLaren has more goals than Clowe this year. Martin F. Brodeur has more goals than Clowe this year. And the biggest putdown yet, Scott Gomez has more goals than Clowe this year.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Clowe is a good player, but playing through injured shoulder this year. Would have been happy to have gotten him, but not for the price paid, especially without guarantee of re-signing him. Rangers paid way too much. THey should have just kept Prust. Sather not looking so smart.

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Colby’s IR status I guess means out more than a couple weeks ? …anyOne learn exactly what the injury is ? …knee ? …fractured leg ? …hip ?

…IR likely means more than a charley-horse, and may influence MB to do more than expected in a trade

66. Shackles says:

….and the Rangers continue their money pit legacy; Redden, Gomez, Richards, Clowe….

Love MB bringing in character players. Definitely a quality pickup.

Doug Wilson of the Sharks picked up a great deal of draft picks for the Sharks in the past few days.

• 24 Cups says:

For sure.

I’m so glad that Montreal dodged the Clowe bullet.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I wasn’t sold on Clowe. If it were the Clowe of last season I’d be allover him!

However, the price isn’t that absurd? Montreal has one 1st and three 2nd round picks this summer if I’m not mistaken? Maybe one 1st and two 2nds?

If we make some sort of deal and are left with a 1st and 2nd round pick when all is said and done, I’m not overly concerned. Considering all the young talent currently in the organization.

• Marc10 says:

I don’t mind him going to NYR. They’re desperately trying to get some ‘Prust factor’ back… Might be too little too late for the Rangers.

Can the Blue Jays drag out this opening day ceremony any longer?

69. billylove says:

Stu, c’mon, calling the aquisition of Jagr, “a major move” is a bit of a stretch. He isn’t going to cure what ails the goons. More like a “desperation move.”

70. Bill says:

Pominville in the line up tonight, have to think he’d be scratched if a trade were close.

IMO Habs need a LW, not a RW, but there are not many out there.

71. Hobie Hansen says:

I do and don’t like the acquisition of Davis Drewiske. You can’t help but notice he’s 28-years-old and has reached the 40 game mark only once in his NHL career?

However, he’s 6’2″ and plays a physical game, which fits the type of defender they were looking for.

I’m anxious to see if Marc Bergevin found a player in Drewiske who deserves more playing time and is capable of playing full time?

I hope they work with him and he turns out to be a nice pickup.

• The Jackal says:

He is LA’s Weber. Good guy who deserves a shot.
      I think he will be a good acquisition.

• shiram says:

He’s got 13 hits in 20 games.
      Granted it’s a flawed stat, but from what I read I would not expect this guy to be overtly physical.

• commandant says:

He’s not gonna “hit” like say Emelin. But he does clear the crease.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

That stat doesn’t solely define a physical player. How is he in front of the net and battling for pucks along the wall and in the corner?

Emelin is among the hit leaders in the NHL in hits but isn’t overly strong in the above mentioned areas.

Just because you don’t run around and smoke people doesn’t mean you’re not physical.

• shiram says:

Sure, numbers don’t tell the complete story, so I was going more by what Kings fans were posting, not a fighter, not very physical for his size and no mean streak were frequent comment.
          Commandant says he clears the crease, if he does, that’s good enough for me.

72. thehabsfan29 says:

Happy with this deal by MB. but I hope he does pick someone else up before the end of the deadline and not overpay in the process like the bruins and rangers did.

really hope the habs land pominville

would love to see the habs land Giordano also but I think the chances of that are between slim and none.

Jamie Mcbain could also work but again only for the right price.

73. ebk says:

If the cost of a player like Clowe(who I really,really like) is #2, #3 and a conditional #2, I hope the Habs sit this silly season out.

also, anyone else find it funny that the worst offense in the NHL, just sent a boat load of picks to the Sharks for a guy with 0 goals.

• Dirtsteed says:

I completely agree. The prices for these guys are ridiculous.

I think someone mentioned it below, but the Ryder deal looks like even more of steal right now. he has more points than any of the guys that got traded today.

Just stand pat and take your chances in the playoffs.

74. Ice Storm says:

Drewiske is only 20… As a Dman… The Braintrust may see a lot of upside/not much given up for a young player still developing. With Timmons in on things this could be great sleeper move as other posters have mentioned. 20 yrs old, 120 games played, I like it.