Habs acquire defenceman Drewiske from Kings

On a day when the Boston Bruins made a major move, acquiring Jaromir Jagr from the Dallas Stars, the Canadiens made a minor depth move Tuesday, acquiring defenceman Davis Drewiske from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick this year.

Drewiske, a 6-foot-2, 222-pound product of the University of Wisconsin, played 20 games with the Kings this season, posting 1-3-4 totals with 14 penalty minutes and a plus-3.

Last season, when the Kings won the Stanley Cup, the 28-year-old played nine regular-season games, scoring two goals, and wasn’t used at all during the playoffs.

Davis Drewiske is a defenceman with good size and experience who has already played more than 120 games in the NHL,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “He adds significant depth to our group of defencemen.”

The Canadiens later announced that defenceman Nathan Beaulieu had been sent back to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. In two games with the Canadiens, Beaulieu had one assist and was plus-2.

NBC hockey analyst Pierre McGuire was impressed with the move to acquire Drewiske.

“He’s a trememdous depth player … 6-2 about 225 … one of the hardest-working players I’ve seen,” McGuire told Mitch Melnick during his regular afternoon segment on TSN Radio 690.  “Last year during the Stanley Cup final he never complained once. Now you’re talking about going four rounds, tons of travel, coast to coast.

“Even by the Stanley Cup final, he was out there practising with Bernie Nicholls and he was just such a determined guy. He is one of those players that his work habits are infectious and impeccable. And so this is all about character more than anything else.

“Is he a great player? No. But is he big, is he physical, is he robust? Yes. Is he going to cause problems? No. This is a very good acquisition I think.”

McGuire said it’s a case of the Kings giving “a really good kid a great chance,” adding that “he’s going to want to prove a point.”

“He’s just really stoic, but he’s just so full of energy and strong and well-built and well-conditioned,” McGuire said. “I endorse this. This is great.

“He’s not going to be intimidated about playing in Montreal. … he’s a mature kid. He played a lot of huge games at Wisconsin.”

Drewiske, who will wear No. 44 with the Canadiens, is earning a pro-rated $650,000 U.S. this season and can become an unrestricted free agent in the summer.

The Bruins acquired Jagr from the Stars in exchange for a conditional second-round draft pick and two prospects – Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne. The conditional second-round pick this year will become a first-round pick if Boston advances to the Eastern Conference final.

The Canadiens visit the Philadelphia Flyers Wednesday (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and then play host to the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday and Jagr and the Bruins on Saturday at the Bell Centre.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported on Twitter that Colby Armstrong, who appeared to suffer a knee injury during Monday’s victory over the Carolina Hurricanes, has been placed on injured reserve.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. frontenac1 says:

So Clowe going to the Big Apple? He must be thrilled to be Tortsified!Ha Ha!

2. habsgod says:

marc bergevin is a very smart man and is turning into one of the smartest and best gm’s in the league we doesn’t and won’t overpay for a rental…i was wondering what you guy think of this? he only trades our first rd pick if he can get a guy who has term on his contract and a player that will help us,so i wonder if he’d only trade that pick to buffalo for pominville,he’s 30 has term left is a scorer and can help us! thoughts?

3. topher5468 says:

Early goal for the Sens. I love how they show Juliens face right after a goal against, he looks like a big red zit ready to pop

damn, 1-1
    crap, 2-1

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

4. durocher says:

Following in the footsteps of Richer, Souray, and Hamrlik, Drewiske will wear #44.

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB deals Weber for a fifth tomorrow?

6. D Mex says:

Non-Habs question :
    - anyone know if the Canadian women’s team really switched to Boston colours (minus the white) yesterday ? I thought it was an APR 1st joke (bad one) until it was again reported at 11:30 pm (pacific) by TSN.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

7. Propwash says:

The deadline show is gunna be chock full of excitement tomorrow.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

8. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I know it won’t happen since we’re in 2nd place and we don’t really have anyone that can eat up his minutes, but you have to wonder what Markov would fetch if we put him on the market.

If Murray could fetch two 2nd round picks, what would Markov bring back? 2 1sts? A 1st, a 3rd and a prospect?

• otisfxu says:

ok, come back down to earth,,,,2- firsts?????he’s one ice crack from done for good – you’re sounding like a Laff fan

• savethepuck says:

Sounds like a great idea. Let’s get rid of Markov so we can listen to everyone complain about why PK’ s powerplay production has gone down.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

9. habstrinifan says:

OK GUYS just had a weird flash. The name Benoit Pouliot keeps entering my mind and wont leave. Do I need help?

Or am I the smartest man on earth???

10. doug19 says:

Do you mean, we could have had a shot at MAB (Marc Andrew Bergerin) the power play specialist and got a big D-man instead?

11. Ice Storm says:

The other question is, Habs aside, why would he in the end pick NYR over the Canucks??

12. otisfxu says:

When you aee a minor move like this, it is not usually followed by a major move, otherwise you don’t even bother with this type of move.

I don’t think anything big is coming up tomorrow. What you see is what we will see in playoffs.

13. ABHabsfan says:

Gotta question the logic in NYR; why in the world would the last place team in terms of scoring trade 2 2nds and a 3rd for a guy that has NO GOALS? Happy that the Habs didn’t trade for this guy (Clowe). No passengers on this ride this year, everyone pushes. Clowe is a passenger, and a slow one at that.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

14. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Still think that Markov has to play less minutes in the playoffs — not sure this guy will alleviate any of them. Perhaps on the PK? Anyway, seems like a solid move!

15. Bardya says:

It’s ‘OK” if he signs with NY. If not they just paid a 2nd,3rd and a 5th round pick for a rental with 0 goals.

16. Ice Storm says:

Hopefully we will be giving Davis Love during our playoff run…

17. Phil C says:

BlakeGeoffrion (Blake Geoffrion): Hab fans, Drewiske is a great pick up. Great guy in the room and a really solid player. Teammate of mine when I was at Wisco!

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun: From NHL scout on Drewiske: “team first guy…plays the body……solid on PK…CHARACTER.”
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Con’t from scout on Drewiske, “going to be solid No 6″

18. SmartDog says:

Bergevin is smart.
    If you can’t pick up any “game changers” you bulk up on depth so that when a guy goes down in the playoffs you have someone to step in who isn’t a liability. Go with the game changes you have. Make sure they have a supporting cast.

And… WHY do people HATE Pierre Mcguire so much? He’s a bit of a knob but the guy is very smart and encyclopedic on his knowledge of the league. I think he’s right most of the time. I am glad he isn’t our GM because he’s more of a brainiac than anything but I respect his opinions. I do.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Ozmodiar says:

> why do people hate Pierre Mcguire so much?

Here’s one reason:
      “He’s a bit of a knob”

Another reason is that this isn’t true:
      “he’s right most of the time.”

• Ferguson-22 says:

Let’s see some HIO posters make their predictions in public like McGuire and see how they do. He’s a very knowledgeable hockey guy. He’s not always right and you don’t have to agree with him. I personally find it a bit annoying to listen to him speak but I respect him for what he does.

• Bripro says:

I agree.
      I’ll add to that. I think he would have made a very good GM. But that’s only one HIO poster’s opinion.
      Now….for the floodgates. ;)

• SmartDog says:

Seriously. Mcguire’s out there making predictions all day long and people seem to hang him when he’s wrong. For my money, that’s not very often. He seems more openly critical of players than some of the ‘experts’ and I like that.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Bripro says:

Dog, I don’t know if you listen to Melnyk in the afternoon, but McGuire is a regular. His tone is different than on NBC. And I think he does his “shtick” on NBC for dramatic effect. He’s probably required to.
          But on the radio, he’s reflective and as you say, he’s very knowledgeable.
          I come here to discover a lot about the NHL. Some I take, some I leave. But I listen to McGuire. He knows a lot more than most here.

• SmartDog says:

Ah… well that makes sense. He’s trying to keep up with the Milbury’s. Mcquire is smart enough that he could pull that off… and enough of a showman that he might indeed try.

But yes, on the radio he’s prepared, smart, respectful and I think quite astute.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

Floodgate wide open, nothing more need be said. :)

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

No problem with his analysis. But as a colour commentator he was just way too over the top. And I think that’s how most people know him…from his former role on TSN. And the ruined Eberle call.

19. Ice Storm says:

If Vanek is really available, you could argue he is best on the Market… A beast with BUFF… What could he be anywhere else…?

20. CharlieHodgeFan says:

A solid, young, cheap stay at home defenceman with a reputation as a team guy and decent NHL experience. The team needed a defensive defenceman, and it got one.

I had never heard of Drewiske, but I’m not Bergevin. He sounds like exactly what was needed – 15 minutes a game of large. I’m optimistic – let’s see how he pans out.

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

TSN needs to come up with a new name for the show tomorrow…”Leftovers deadline day”…”Scraps deadline day”…etc.

One inch at a time is Bergevin’s style. Over the coarse of this year he has put all those inches together to make miles. We are in good hands my friends.

23. Sportfan says:

LOL Yeah Leafs give Kipper an extension those older goalies really help !

24. Scotty90 says:

Something involving Habs brewing…. was watching RDS le 5 a 7, and Renaud Lavoie was being interviewed… he looked at his BB and had to excuse himself….!!!! cross your fingers!!!

25. Bripro says:

You have to wonder how Sather’s brain works. He might be in need of medication.
    I mean, they already have Richards, Nash, Gaborik, Callahan ….
    Well, you get my point. Yet, where are they? Barely treading water. This is an instance where there truly is a reason to get rid of the Rangers’ coach and GM.
    They can keep throwing away good money after bad, as far as I’m concerned. As long as they stay away from MB and his crew.

26. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if the Canadiens will have any scouts at tonight’s Buffalo Pittsburgh game watching Pominville.

27. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

NY desperate to make the playoffs…Habs not in the same position. Imagine if Clowe does not score at all this year…

28. jols101 says:

This guy isn’t a difference maker but a good depth guy I guess. I hope this doesn’t mean an automatic demotion for Beaulieu.

I would rather see Therrien give Markov and Gorges some games off down the stretch and let Beaulieu play some more games.

Markov is old and playing on one knee so a little rest would help for the playoffs.

Gorges plays a crazy shot-blocking style and must have a few bumps and bruises . He could use a little rest as well.

29. commandant says:

Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton.

Clearly he’ll be called back up once the Dogs season is done.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

30. tyshow89 says:

well clowe is gone to the rangers…. didnt really think he was worth the asking price anyways……
    I would much rather see Glencross…. but wouldnt really want to give them back their 2nd pick….. which I assume they want

31. habstrinifan says:

Commandant:

“I’ve been saying all week we need help on D more than forward, especially with Bourque now skating again.”

Not so muchh that I disagree with you Commandant. I just think HABS are missing what the combination of Cole/Pacs/and DD provided as a ‘line’ last year. A high probability that once they take the ice, our chances of scoring a goal went up. Sometimes, as was the case last year, a line provides that; sometimes a very skilled player provides that; sometimes a physical in-your-face grinder provides that ( by distracting the opponent and freeing up ice for our guys). I dont think we have that this year. Even with Bourque.

I think MB ‘fixed’ the D need without any damage to our ‘assets’ And I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is able to do something ‘offensively’. If he does… then we are real real a contender.

Aside: Maybe some posters are correct. Maybe all the Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateyrn/Dumont ‘trials’ had the underlying purpose to help MB decide not ‘how good they are’ but who he should dangle to get what he wants.

Bottom line… we need a forward position upgrade.
    Even more so now that MB has upgraded the D and thus improved our chances … way I see it.

• commandant says:

I agree we don’t have a single line as good as that line was last year.

That said, I don’t know of the piece we can get right now which would give us such a line, and allow wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire.

The team we have now may not have that 1 go to line, but with Bourque back we are likely to have 3 lines all capable of scoring. And that depth is our strength.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the response. I must admit I am crazily excited at the prospect that we add somebody who has some ‘offensive clout’ in one of the fashions I described. Man if we do… then this team becomes a real bona-fide cup threat.

Goal: No1 and wicked no 2..check.
        D: Puck mover extraordinaire and Veterans and Big Crease clearer
        and feistiness and experience.. and skill off the bench…CHECK.
        Energy rookies… check.
        Forward able to ramp up his play within any game (Eller) Check.
        Grit..(Prust and riding his coattails Moen and Bourque and others).. CHECK.
        Great coaching staff… CHECK.
        Chemistry….CHECK.

Higher than average scoring threat forward…. PENDING!!!!!!!!!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Trini, I looked down rather than up :)

…I take it this is comment You asked My opinion on

…I think I agree with Ben, I feel We have a very balanced production compared to most other teams, and ‘the cost’ to fiddle with what We have would be at expense of Our Future,when Our Present, I believe, will be as good
          _________________________________________________________
          Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks. Let’s waits see. I think MB is gonna do something. Not something stoopid but something with the potential of paying dividends.

• helluva habs fan says:

You’re right that we don’t have a magic line like that last year, but I don’t think you can conjure up a line like that with one deal. It’s lightning in a bottle. Even if we landed Iginla, who’s to say he’d find instant chemistry with two of our forwards and make a dominant line? Just look at the Rangers: Nash, Richards, Gaborik = SFA. We’ve gotten this far with balanced scoring and great team chemistry and that’s how we need to find success in the playoffs.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Trini, I looked down rather than up :)

…I take it this is comment You asked My opinion on

32. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB must think Diaz is coming back. Did not expect another left-handed D-man. Looks like this year’s Brent Sopel except younger. MB definitely does not want to give up good picks this year…we’ll see how he does but just a depth move.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I thought We had all We needed with Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu to play rolls through the playoffs …all with size and each with unique skill-sets to complement whatever teams We meet

…I felt strongly Our D was where no outside help was needed

…but, how can WE not have faith that Bergevin knows different

…as well, once upon a time down HIO’s rabbit-hole I recall Us mumbling who the heck was this Guy Giorges, Georges, Gorgeous ???

…so in MB I Trust :)

34. TheDagger says:

Going forward it is dd and DD. (Lower case and upper case)

Now the question is: do the Habs sign him up for Michael Therrien’s Personal Development Program right away or does he have to wait?

36. Sportfan says:

TSN showed clips of Reimer all they showed was him getting snow showers from different teams.

37. Danno says:

He’s smart that Marc Bergevin

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

38. Harditya says:

Tomorrow is going to be such a boring day, I suspect majority of the moves have already been made.. lol

As mentioned, Drewiske to wear #44. Our new Hamrlik!

39. Captain aHab says:

The Cup is now ours.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

40. Thurston says:

For those wonder about such things, Drewiske will wear #44.

41. munch17 says:

I can’t believe we gave up our 5 th round pick.
    It’s our best round.
    Gallagher – Hudon.

Should have given up a third or fourth.

Seriously sounds like a good depth move.
    I trust MB.

42. Rad says:

I think Clowe will do well in NY. Rangers needed a big body after losing Prust, Rupp, and Scott. I’ll bet Clowe re-signs there after this season.

43. Harditya says:

According to Bob McKenzie: “If all goes as expected, Clowe likely to be NYR. Expected price to be 2nd round pick, 3rd-round pick and conditional 2nd if he re-signs.”

Thank goodness, the Habs are not in the mix for Clowe. That’s a pathetic price tag for a guy with 0 goals.

44. sobe says:

Qc for everyone. In Eastern Conference which goalies will give their team a chance for the Stanley Cup?

My choices would be:
    1st: Craig Anderson
    2nd: Carey Price
    3rd: Martin Brodeur

Note: Lets assume all teams in the playoffs have equal amount of power on Offence and Defense.

45. habsfan0 says:

Komisarek played his best hockey while playing alongside Markov.
    If he was to be reacquired,maybe he could find his old self again playing with his former defense partner.

Nah,forget it.

46. govenah says:

I think the DD 1 contract should have been around 2.7M for two years.
    He doesn’t even compare with Subban but we gave him at least the same money? MB is not 100% only about 93%

• commandant says:

Few things….

1) DD’s contract covers UFA years, so its not the same thing.
      2) DD never makes more money than Subban. DD makes less than him this year. When DD’s contract kicks in he gets 3.5 million next year. Subban gets 3.75 million next year. AFter that DD will still get 3.5 and Subban will get a huge raise.
      3) A centre who scored 60 points last season, for 3.5 million, is a steal in today’s market.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

47. Rad says:

Another good, minor tweak by Bergevin, at a position of need. Drewiske is my boy!

48. Sportfan says:

Why the heck would you pick the Rangers over the Habs Bruins Canucks and who ever else was on the list or in talks! Rangers run the risk of missing the playoffs.

49. topher5468 says:

Sorry if this was already discussed but I just got home from work, any update on Armstrong?

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

50. Bripro says:

So it looks like Ryan Clowe will be a Ranger.
    With all that talent, you’d think they’d know how to make the playoffs.

51. Danno says:

Thoughts on Sidney Crosby as he recovers from his latest injury

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. Saintpatrick33 says:

Clowe sweepstakes if you can call it that down to Vancouver and NY Rangers. At this point in their season why would the Rangers even bother to be buyers?

53. jedimyrmidon says:

So… NYR close to acquiring Clowe…

One of the ‘big’ names to come up during trade deadline talk. Why is this not surprising in the least?

54. Sportfan says:

He won’t be in the lineup tomorrow most likely Winnipeg?

55. habsfan0 says:

In youtube video above, Drewiske scores a nice goal on Elliott.
    However, Halak would have stopped it.

56. Sportfan says:

If Mcguire likes it then shouldn’t we not like it? This is the guy who thought PK for Yakupov was a good move!

I honestly don’t see a point.

58. habstrinifan says:

Brilliant move. Now if we can only laNd a forward… along similar potential impact. Love it MB… You DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. sCOTT1243 says:

Nothing about this guy impresses me…maybe a good pick up for Hamilton but not for the Habs. This did not make this team any stronger.

Only positive is that he isn’t an ex-LEAF! :)

60. Bripro says:

Where does MB pull this one out from?
    Speculation for days (weeks) about Jagr, Iggy, and Clowe.
    There’ve even been comments and HIO trade speculation as far reaching as Koivu, Ribero, Brad Boyes… among others.
    But MB comes back with a big kid, a virtual unknown but with sold reviews, for a 5th rounder.
    Let’s not throw out the baby water just yet. The way MB is managing so far, I’m hoping this is the sleeper of the latest trades.

61. Phil C says:

I like this move. Exactly the type of depth the Habs needed in that if Gorges or Emelin get injured, the Habs have an answer.

It will be interesting to see what he can do now that he is no longer buried on the depth chart of a team with a lot of good defensemen. A great chance to prove himself.

The only downside is that now maybe Beaulieu gets sent down, which is too bad because I thought he might stick.

62. Skeptical says:

If McGuire likes the move. It could be MB’s first bad move. He won’t win many scoring titles. Other than that. I don’t know too much about him …..

63. jedimyrmidon says:

From the previous thread:

Drewiske sounds like one of those unheralded depth players that can become so useful during the playoffs.

Who here called Bergevin going for the unknown guy? Kudos on the good call.

I like these types of moves: a roster that is not established like that of the Pens or Bruins isn’t ready for the big deadline acquisition that will cost good prospects and high picks and will supposedly propel them on a Cup run. Better to add pieces that maximize the cost/benefit ratio, and be safe.

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

Pierre LeBrun Twitter:

“Blues now have 9 d-men on their NHL roster. Ian Cole and Kris Russell will generate calls from other teams and 1 could move before deadline”

…the first member of Our Commentariat to make the NHL ?

…miracles never cease :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

65. coutNY says:

Hmm ah, was Tinordi complaining? he’s big. check… Can skate… check… was a plus player in the few games given a chance…. didn’t take stupid penalties… check

Doesn’t hurt to have a good guy i guess, but not really an upgrade over Tinordi IMO, since only has a bit more expereince at watching a stanley cup winner without a compliant… life must be tough.

• Stevie.Ray says:

He’s got experience. Its a rental deal. If Tinordi proves to be more reliable, he will play over Drewiske

• habstrinifan says:

Read SmartDog’s scouting assessment. Better skater, better passer, greater on-ice leadership experience, all around game at a later stage than Tinordi. And last but not least more filled out and proportionately at ease with his size/body. Tinordi still needs to ‘grow’ into his.

66. SmartDog says:

Here’s a talent analysis on him.
    Seems good… good leader, big & smart, always in position, good skater, good passer, not offensive minded but has a decent shot.

===
    Drewiske is an intelligent two-way defenseman with very strong leadership skills. While he has good offensive ability, it is his outstanding defensive play that stands out more. He is very good in one-on-one situations and does a superb job of staying with his assignment. He has great on-ice vision, follows plays exceedingly well and is rarely caught out of position.

Another great attribute that Drewiske possesses is his puck skills. His patience with and distribution of the puck, as well as his smart decisions with it made him a regular on the power play for much of his collegiate career. He makes nice outlet and tape-to-tape passes. While Drewiske will get involved in the offensive side, it almost never comes at the expense of his defensive responsibilities. Drewiske possesses a good, hard shot and can get pucks to the net. He has decent foot speed and skates with powerful strides.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

67. sanj91 says:

I have to believe that this is a precursor to another deal. He’s not the experienced, right-handed powerplay guy we needed as a 6th Dman and he didn’t even play in the playoffs when LA won the cup last year, so experience in that field can’t be the reason we acquired him. I think one of our prospect defensemen are going to be dealt within the next 21 hours to shore up our D for a long playoff run. Because in all honesty, I don’t see why Drewiske merits a spot anymore than Tinordi, Beaulieu or Pateryn who have all shown solid defensive ability on the blue line.

“When a homeless guy knows his hockey, you know you’re in Montreal” – Hal Gill

• jedimyrmidon says:

No, I don’t think this is a precursor to another deal to ‘shore up our D for a long playoff run’. If you look at all the descriptions of Drewiske, you should see that this is probably THE move Bergevin made to get a good #6 D who can play physically, responsibly and keep players out of Price’s crease.

• habstrinifan says:

We do not need a power play guy. We need exactly what he is.. a smart responsible big strong capable young defender with enough college and pro experience (even on the sidelines) that our D-staff will have him improved at least 50% by the playoffs. I LOVE THIS MOVE.
      Brainy (proven on his college team) defenseman… with great attitude.

68. twilighthours says:

Gotta put the kids to bed, but please keep the insane trade proposals coming. I am loving my copy of HIO 2013

69. Ozmodiar says:

Solid trade. A better move than giving up 2 second round picks for Murray.

/more goals than Clowe too. ;)

70. commandant says:

I like it.

He’s cheap depth. A reliable minute eater if we need him, and able to play bottom pairing minutes and clear the crease.

Is he a superstar? of course not. But this is depth you need when injuries hit.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

71. ed says:

well…if Mcguire likes him…..you guys can fill in the blanks.

72. J.J. of Turku says:

Fourth… I’ve lost my Enter-button…

Bazinga!

73. Vinny Red says:

He’s not a big hitter, averages less then 1 hit/game, doesn’t take too many penalties so seems he’s lacking a mean streak. But that’s ok, as long as he plays tough (tough to move off the puck, wins the battles on the boards, etc..), plays smart and disciplined it will work out. He’s not going to be a minute munching d-man and we don’t need him to be. I think he’s good value for the cost

Another positive sign is that his ice time has steadily increased over the year, starting in the 11-13 minute range to 15-16 minutes and up to 18 some nights, so he’s obviously shown improvement over the course of the year

74. Say Ash says:

McGuire loves the move – doomed.

75. Danno says:

:mrgreen: First!!! :mrgreen:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

76. johnnylarue says:

I heard Shero is trying to pick up some late round picks in exchange for Crosby’s teeth…

Might be worth a gamble.

77. SmartDog says:

You are very wise Blue Block.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

78. Marc10 says:

He’s no Rick Dudley or, dare I say it, Pierre McGuire.

Writing that about Subban shows you’re not watching the Habs and most certainly didn’t watch the Bruins game beyond the highlights… which says a lot.

79. tanzereyes says:

HI Long time reader first time poster. Scott Cullen is a leafs fan ! I got into a 5 or 6 e-mail debate with him a few years ago (Over his rankings as well). I am original from Montreal, but now live in Cambridge.

I told him that there were more Habs fans in the tri-city area (Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo), he said he was from Kitchener and knows there are more Leaf fans. (May be true, but I see way more Habs hats/jackets/flags then leaf stuff.

Anyways I was calling him a leaf fan (because he was biased) and he never once denied it. Like I said we sent 5 or 6 e-mails back and forth, until I got tired of it and stopped responding. I admit this site is biased, but it is called Habs inside and out ….. oooopppps I mean Hockey.

80. Mattyleg says:

Not at all.

But a pretty funny post, though.

I love the “you Price lovers out there” bit, which separates you from all those idiots who think that Price is a good goalie.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

81. Thomas Le Fan says:

Interesting that supporting your 18-6 (2nd in league in wins) #1 goalie makes you a “Price lover” (said with a derogatory sneer). With all due respect, I’m glad Therrien is coaching the team and not you. :)

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

82. t1tan5 says:

Two to three games in the playoffs could mean the difference between playing hockey and playing golf. Games are at a premium in the playoffs. You can’t just bench your clear #1 in the middle of the playoffs. Only time that has worked in recent memory was Martin Gerber being benched in 2006. And his replacement was the A1 prospect known as Cam Ward – not an established back up like Budaj.

83. savethepuck says:

Broken record post again? Even Budaj knows his job. When are you going to accept that Price is our starting goaltender. BTW the Pens are on the first game of a back to back so Fleury and Vokoun would of been splitting with Fleury playing against the division rival Rangers tomorrow night.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

84. MattZ says:

You do realize Vokoun has been starting because Fleury is hurt, right?

Plus the last two games counted for less points in the standings, those non pressure games, as opposed to when we lost to Buffalo and the Islanders…..

86. Mattyleg says:

To what end, exactly?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

87. lavie says:

The other day I heard Price’s interview on TSN690, I believe it’s the day after the win over Broons. Price admitted that “it’s the mental thing” and “how you handle the pressure at special games”, something like that…

Like other professional players Price knows himself and his problems in certain circumstances. Hope he can handle that.

88. habsfan0 says:

I agree wholeheartedly with your post,habsperspective.
    With 1 qualification.
    There are no Price lovers or Price haters on this site.
    Only Price believers and Price doubters.

Semantics is everything…

89. savethepuck says:

I will be more polite with this response than the last. Carey Price is the starting goaltender. A new GM came in this summer who had nothing to do with drafting him and had no allegiance to him. He realized that signing him long term was his #1 priority when he arrived. No one put a gun to his head to give him that big contract. What this means is that even though some of the fan base doesn’t appreciate what they have, smarter hockey minds around the NHL know the caliber of goaltender Carey is. A starting goaltender that can log the minutes he can, should play. I was a goaltender for nearly 40 years. I had good games and bad games. In the bad games, I had no problem with getting pulled, sometimes I preferred it, but I expected to get the next start after that. It is more important to the Habs that Price is playing well and is in the right frame of mind mentally, than it is that Budaj is playing well. I am more than happy that Budaj is playing well of late, but that only makes me comfortable that he can fill in the odd start on a back to back when Carey needs rest. It does not mean he should be taking starts from Carey. Habs are fighting for the division and possibly the conference lead and the starting goaltender should be playing as much as possible. Your starting goaltender is the guy who is better, not the guy who may of been better for a few starts.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

90. Mr. Biter says:

Probably getting in will be more of a problem. Out, who gives a rat’s ass as we would have the cup and we as Fans do have short memories.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

91. Stuck_in_To. says:

This is the world wide web, there are always haters … you meant to say “There are no Price lovers or Price haters in this community.”

; )

8 other teams have goalies who have started more games than Price, just an fyi. 12 have started 28 games or more and Price has started 29.

93. donmarco says:

You’re being schooled tonight. I’m not sure I’ve seen this before but the people on HIO tonight are generally, and astonishingly, being positive about things. The collective buzz will simply not be harshed. Until we lose, that is.

94. Mattyleg says:

I don’t see that being a problem at all.
    Price is #2 in wins.
    And I also think that he is mentally strong enough to bounce back after a loss, as he has done.

None of the goalies above, whose backups play a lot, are anywhere near Price in skill.

That’s why their backups play so much.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

95. Danno says:

41. Soon he’ll be needing a walker to get around

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Jagr (14/12/26/6PPG) would be the 4th highest scoring forward on Montreal right now.

How many people would give up the Habs’ first round pick (29th overall) if they knew it guaranteed them a spot in the final by grabbing Jagr?

97. November 2013, Carey Price will be in Vezina country, #5 Overall. Unreal numbers,and only 25, WOW!

:lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

98. The Jackal says:

I see what you’re getting at, but Jagr wouldn’t put this team over the top. Getting Bourque back, settling the D down, and signing Kristo are better additions for us, IMO, without losing a pick – win or lose, finals or no finals, 6 picks in the first free rounds will mean a really strong asset haul – something that only helps us be more competitive.

Jagr doesn’t guarantee the Habs a trip to the ECF’s let alone the SCF’s and I don’t see him fitting into the Habs style of game, nor the mindset and character identity they are forging.

I also believe that the Habs have been looking at Drewiske for quite some time now. This wasn’t a last minute “we have to settle for less because all the good players are already taken” move.

I prefer the Habs keep their picks. In Timmins we Trust.

Eric – It’s all theoretical but if the Habs make the final with Jagr who cares about the 29th pick? The team hasn’t been in the Cup final for a million years.

And what happens if by chance we win it all?

Bourque coming back doesn’t really relate to a Jagr upgrade and right now Kristo couldn’t tie up Jagr’s skates. I’m not sure what settling the D down means but trading for LA’s 8th defenseman on their depth chart isn’t exactly earth shattering.

I guess my only point was that it might be a bit unfair to just dismiss Jagr as a waste of time (as some fans have done). Chiarelli seems to be a pretty shape guy.

101. TheLogician says:

when you’re starting with a tight room, i don’t think it’s as much about the character of the new guy coming is as much as it is about the character of the guy getting booted out. after all, someone’s gotta sit.

and if he’s one of your brothers in arms who’s helped you and the team get to where you are now, there’s a good chance you’re probably not going to be all that happy with the change.

102. Marc10 says:

Why? No fit.

103. habstrinifan says:

104. Storman says:

So True,,,, anyways I really like the chemistry of the team and this move certainly will not upset the mix and the tightness of the team and the room..Remember when goat added Paul Mara same type of addition and player..