Habs acquire defenceman Drewiske from Kings

On a day when the Boston Bruins made a major move, acquiring Jaromir Jagr from the Dallas Stars, the Canadiens made a minor depth move Tuesday, acquiring defenceman Davis Drewiske from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick this year.

Drewiske, a 6-foot-2, 222-pound product of the University of Wisconsin, played 20 games with the Kings this season, posting 1-3-4 totals with 14 penalty minutes and a plus-3.

Last season, when the Kings won the Stanley Cup, the 28-year-old played nine regular-season games, scoring two goals, and wasn’t used at all during the playoffs.

Davis Drewiske is a defenceman with good size and experience who has already played more than 120 games in the NHL,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “He adds significant depth to our group of defencemen.”

The Canadiens later announced that defenceman Nathan Beaulieu had been sent back to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. In two games with the Canadiens, Beaulieu had one assist and was plus-2.

NBC hockey analyst Pierre McGuire was impressed with the move to acquire Drewiske.

“He’s a trememdous depth player … 6-2 about 225 … one of the hardest-working players I’ve seen,” McGuire told Mitch Melnick during his regular afternoon segment on TSN Radio 690.  “Last year during the Stanley Cup final he never complained once. Now you’re talking about going four rounds, tons of travel, coast to coast.

“Even by the Stanley Cup final, he was out there practising with Bernie Nicholls and he was just such a determined guy. He is one of those players that his work habits are infectious and impeccable. And so this is all about character more than anything else.

“Is he a great player? No. But is he big, is he physical, is he robust? Yes. Is he going to cause problems? No. This is a very good acquisition I think.”

McGuire said it’s a case of the Kings giving “a really good kid a great chance,” adding that “he’s going to want to prove a point.”

“He’s just really stoic, but he’s just so full of energy and strong and well-built and well-conditioned,” McGuire said. “I endorse this. This is great.

“He’s not going to be intimidated about playing in Montreal. … he’s a mature kid. He played a lot of huge games at Wisconsin.”

Drewiske, who will wear No. 44 with the Canadiens, is earning a pro-rated $650,000 U.S. this season and can become an unrestricted free agent in the summer.

The Bruins acquired Jagr from the Stars in exchange for a conditional second-round draft pick and two prospects – Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne. The conditional second-round pick this year will become a first-round pick if Boston advances to the Eastern Conference final.

The Canadiens visit the Philadelphia Flyers Wednesday (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and then play host to the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday and Jagr and the Bruins on Saturday at the Bell Centre.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported on Twitter that Colby Armstrong, who appeared to suffer a knee injury during Monday’s victory over the Carolina Hurricanes, has been placed on injured reserve.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. ccdeal40 says:

very good website:

===== h t t p : // w w w . c c d e a l .n e t / / =====

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike, jordan, prada, also including the jeans, shirts, bags, hat and the decorations.

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD /WESTERN UNION PAYMENT
    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

2. 93Champs says:

Drewiske made it to philly, at practice with the team now. Lets see what he has to offer us tonight.

3. I hope that Habs are at least considering Raffi Torres, especially now that Colby Armstrong may be out for a bit. Torres is one tough dude and would surely help our boys.

Ch EJ

4. HABZ24 says:

Who replaces armstrong now?

5. Lafleurguy says:

Jason Pominville, 6’0″, couple of 30 goal seasons, 5.5 mill cap hit for one more year.
    Thomas Vanek, 6’2″, couple of 40 goal seasons, 7.1 mill cap hit for one more year.
    Makes me even more appreciative of the value Michael Ryder is at his cap hit. Best value player in the whole league of course is P.K. There should be a Walmart Trophy at the awards event and P.K. will win it hands down for the next two years.
    Random thought, Davis Drewiske immediately becomes the Habs best fighter among defensemen and I don’t think he’s that good. At least he takes the load off Emelin’s shoulders.

“May you live in interesting times.”

6. habfan53 says:

What’s the big worry about Kristo. Personally I don’t know him nor have I seen him play . He’s a prospect thats all.
    IF Bergevin does not sign him today so what . I expect the GM to be taking and making calls all day today. Next week he sits down with Kristo explains the clubs situationIF kristo subcribes to it fine if not the expect a draft day movementon his rights.
    That will still leave 46 days for someone to work out a deal with him.
    As for today like they say sometimes the best deals are the ones you don’t make.

Loonie is back to his alarmist ways. At one point Eller was all but traded and Subban was good as lost to an offer sheet.

I am confident Kristo will sign with the Habs. Why wouldn’t he? I mean who wouldn’t want to play with a high scoring, tightly knit, cup contending, division leading team, one of if not the most storied sports franchises in the world.

• Loonie says:

To be fair I still maintain Eller is as good as gone but never said they’d lose Subban to an offer sheet.

I voiced that an offer sheet would get Subban back with the Habs.

I’m also not saying Kristo’s gone, I’m saying that if Bergevin has any doubt he should trade him.

8. Mike D says:

Good news:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 9m

R. Diaz s’entraîne sur la patinoire à Brossard ce matin. / R. Diaz hit the ice for a skate this morning in Brossard. pic.twitter.com/f3VgkZIM5O

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks… great news! And Drewiske’s acquisition and Beaulieu’s sending back juxtaposed against this news that Diaz ‘may be returning in time for playoffs’ all looks like well thought out moves by MB.

• Mike D says:

Absolutely. Great depth move to get Drewiske and at a bargain price. I realize he’s not the 2nd coming, but looks like a solid player and fits our needs. NB gets to continue his development. ANd hopefully we get Diaz back before the playoffs start so he can shake the rust off.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• kerrgte says:

yes, good news, his return is getting closer.

could be weeks, or later, ….before his return

9. habs12 says:

Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but Renaud Lavoie tweeted a little while ago that Diaz is skating in Brossard today.

• savethepuck says:

According to the TSN panel, Habs are not in the market for another DMan because they expect Diaz to be back for the playoffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

10. thehabsfan29 says:

Plan A- Pominville or Vanek

Plan B – Chimera or Boyes or Glencross

Plan C- Larose Or Nystrom

Dream pick up- Either Streit or Giordano

11. JUST ME says:

Every year it`s the same thing. Go and get anyone at any price quick! Time is running out ! Quick ! O.K. let`s get Raffi Torres, he`s a lunatic nut case ,a pea brain that will not get to play in the playoffs but let`s get him at any price !

12. arcosenate says:

I would think that if Kristo is considering not signing with the Habs than this is the time to trade him, being trade deadline day. Straight up for Pominville, or with a pick for Vanek.

If there’s doubt, get something good for him.

• twilighthours says:

This is a good one. Kristo straight up for Pominville?

Or Kristo and a pick for Vanek? Geez, better not be higher than a 4th rounder.

HIO 2013 needs a reboot.

• savethepuck says:

Considering that if Kristo is dealt, Montreal would only be trading his rights, MB would be an absolute genius to trade him straight up for Pominville or just throw in a pick and get Vanek. You are definitely not giving Darcy Regehr much credit as an NHL GM.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

13. Skeptical says:

I would focus on Vanek or Pominville nothing else out there.

14. Storman says:

Also concerning my earlier post below: I have a feeling the Habs may have or have been kicking the tires on a deal with Wild concerning Mike Rupp and or Charlie Coyle, in that deal I would see Danny Kristo being in play for sure..

Concerning Danny Kristo, I have been talking to my sources in NCAA Wisconsin Minnesota and now here in Piitsburgh for the Frozen Four not hard to find sources,, although the best one I have heard from was Jim Montgomery Coach in the USHL Dubuque Fighting Saints, and former Hab and Montrealer who gave me info from another very close source to MTL and the Kristo saga. Danny has never said he was entertaining not signing with Montreal, just this was a lockout year and he wanted one last chance at National Championship at UND.

I see him signing very soon and playing this year so as to use a year of his EL contract when signed. It will all fall into place today, I am sure he was and is in play today as are many players for the right offer, especially with the interest in Danny Kristo being at an all time high matching his early junior aged days with team USA at WJC

• Pat Hickey says:

Just to clarify Kristo situation. Talked to Marc Bergevin Monday night and said there was no hurry to sign Kristo. Habs have until Aug. 15 to make him an offer and no other team can sign him if he has received an offer from Montreal. He’s on their radar but, with only a handful of games remaining in Hamilton, there’s little sense to sign him now.

15. Skeptical says:

Tsn suggestion we pick up Torres. He’s a 3rd line L/W whats wrong with Gally being there.

16. HabFanSince72 says:

Someone mentioned Vanek as a trade target earlier. I’m totally on board with that.

Have to believe a key factor in Kristo will be choice of agent. If he picks that complete raving lunatic representing a certain former goalie, all bets are off.

18. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree with Loonie about the Jets’ logo. Shameless that was.

I’d still support them over any team that Bettman prefers.

19. habstrinifan says:

Another signing question and as the last one some really implausible explanations.

RobertLefebvre :April 3, 2013 at 8:56 am

“Kristo will sign in Montreal, but Bergevin is busy these days. Once the focus is off the trade deadline, it should get done’.

I remember when the same “Bergevin is busy” arguments were offered as to why Subban wasnt signed. I dont have any opinion one way or another re Kristo’s imminent signing or not. But a player isnt signed because negotiations are proceeding with all the inherent difficulties…. not because a GM is too busy.

• The Jackal says:

You sure about that? The argument that MB is working on deadline stuff actually makes sense and is plausible.
      Besides, Kristo has until August, it’s not like if he doesn’t sign in a couple of days then that’s it.

• Loonie says:

The timeline to sign him isn’t in dispute.

The point is that if he doesn’t sign he will have been lost with little compensation when an opportunity to potentially get a significant return for him today is at hand.

Furthermore, trusting the word of a young adult is naive. So in this circumstance if Bergevin avoids trading Kristo because Kristo has said he wants to be a Hab but doesn’t eventually sign with them, Bergevin will have erred.

• The Jackal says:

I agree that it would be bad to lose him for nothing, but don’t know why you and other posters are nervous about him not be upfront about wanting to sign, that just seems like more media speculation than anything substantive. Also, if he does not sign today and is not traded today, can’t he still be traded later on? I don’t see the same urgency, it is not like his a pickup or part of a deal for a big trade for us.

• Loonie says:

Actually, the media speculation is that he does want to sign with the Habs.

I’m in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” crowd. The prevailing opinion seems to be that his decision to stay in College was to pursue a championship, and I’m sure that’s part of it.

But what’s been completely disregarded is his checkered past and the fact that returning for a senior season against less tenured players put him in the best possible position to have a career season and inflate his value.

I won’t for a second disregard the points that indicate he wants to be a Hab, but I’m not going to bury my head in the sand either.

If he were yearning to be a Hab, he’d be a Hab.

• The Jackal says:

We’ll probably end up agreeing to disagree, but I think most of the speculation has been on whether he will bolt or not. I’m sure he is more mature now and if he wants to play ASAP, he will sign with the Habs. If not, we can trade his rights, but his rights alone won’t get us anything that reflects the urgency to sign him today or else – trade!

• habstrinifan says:

OK!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Kristo will be signed, I can’t understand the sense of panic around here over this. It’s should be understandable that our GMs focus has been on the deadline the past week. The signing will get done when he can justify shifting his attention to a college player (whose already made it clear he wants to sign here).

• habstrinifan says:

I have no panic. But to say a GM is ignoring this because he’s “busy”.. well…

• Loonie says:

I believe he surrounded himself with a half dozen executives so that he wouldn’t be overwhelmed.

• habstrinifan says:

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            So if Kristo isnt signed it’s because the process is ongoing.. not cast aside because of trade deadline overload.

Trini, come on MB is “busy” working on a certain file! Hang on, Kristo may actually be a name inside said file. CHeers bud!

• habstrinifan says:

I think you are misreading me. I have no side on this. Just commenting on how weak a proposition it is to say that a GM(and office) is ‘too busy’ to deal with the file.

My only ‘involvement’ is agreeing with Loonie that MB must have an idea of the complete picture re Kristo and therefore has all these factors in consideration TODAY…. not that he’s too busy and the implication that the minute 3:00 pm has come and gone Kristo will be signed.

I know, sorry. Just that Kristo would be a potential help to our 5 on 5 scoring is all.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m not saying your panicking Trini…the mood around here surrounding this playing over the past few weeks is palpable to panic. MBs focus at the moment does not need to be on Kristo IMO.

• kerrgte says:

See pat hickey’s note above: Also, see my earlier note.

Kristo is irrelevant at this time

20. Skeptical says:

Eastern Conference playoff team ratings Based on games played.

35. 1. Montreal 2. Boston
    36. 1.Toronto 2. Ottawa 3. New Jersey
    37. 1. Pittsburgh
    38. 1. Winnipeg
    39. 1. New York Islanders

TSN just reviewed the Habs and the consensus was the team needs to grab a guy like Torres. Plan B was a Dman to eat up some PP time.

Both McGuire and Gagnon stated that the turnaround is all about the impact of Bergevin. The prorated difference in the standings between this year and last season is 41 points!

• JarryPark says:

Insane!! What is the all time biggest turnaround? Habs 2012/2013 has to be there.

• 24 Cups says:

What has changed?
        - Bergevin
        - Therrien
        - no Gomez and Cammalleri
        - healthy Markov and Gionta
        - infusion of Prust and to a lesser degree Bouillon and Armstrong
        - an improved Subban and Diaz
        - the enthusiasm and spark of young players like Gallagher
        - a fresh attitude, atmosphere and approach based on the all for one, one for all outlook.

• 123456 says:

I never want to see torres in a habs uniform. I would have like to see Jagr but at this point the Habs are still a top D man away from being a serious contender for the cup.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing a guy LIKE Torres signed, but Torres himself is a punk…and I would happily take Lucic (which should say something about how I feel about Torres :))

My only prognostication of the day, IF Kristo signs with Montreal, posters will rain down on Loonie, IF Kristo doesn’t sign with Montreal, Loonie will rain down on posters. Either way, I think I am covered. ;-)

• Loonie says:

There won’t be any “I told you so’s” from me because I have no clue what Kristo wants.

I will be bothered if the combination of him not being traded today and not signing with the Habs comes to fruition.

Anything else is gravy.

23. Fansincebirth says:

For those of you who like the drink, how about a drinking game?

You have to take a drink every time TSN Tradecentre coo’s and purrs over the Leafs today :)

Perhaps we could find out our newest DD’s middle name. If indeed his middle name is Darwin, would be quite something if our lineup could include Double D’s and Triple D’s, would have to think Timo would like that kind of lineup.

25. jackbutt says:

I don’t think there’s going to be much action today.

26. Storman says:

27. Propwash says:

Tradecenter’s on!!!!!!!!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

28. Sportfan says:

TSN Trade deadling could become a new way to bet money or drink. When the first trade will happen and how long will it be analyzed!

29. JarryPark says:

Good morning all. I have a gut feeling something big is coming down the pipe. Pommy?

We need to figure out how we are going to refer to DD now with a new DD on the team.

I suggest Big DD and Little DD or BDD and LDD

Enjoy the day gents and lets cross our fingers.

30. stephen says:

One of the more entertaining elements of Tradecentre:

Close-talking with Darren Dutchyshen.