Habs 4-1 at Bell Centre with Reno singing anthem

Ginette Reno will be in the spotlight again when the Canadiens and New York Rangers square off in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final Saturday afternoon at the Bell Centre (1 p.m., CBC, NBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Reno has become a good-luck charm for the Canadiens, singing the national anthem before every playoff game at the Bell Centre this season.

Heading into the Eastern Conference final the Canadiens had a 4-1 record at the Bell Centre with Reno singing the anthem. Their only loss was 1-0 in overtime to the Boston Bruins in Game 4 of the conference semifinals.

“These days it’s like I can’t walk on the street right now,” Reno told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell on Friday.

“If I just take a walk — two streets, I take about 50 pictures. Everybody wants a picture.”

And fans always have a question for Reno:

“Are they gonna win, Madame Reno?’ Are they gonna win?’” she said. “I say ‘Yes! They’re going to win.’ Go Habs Go!”

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin met with the media 90 minutes before Game 1, telling reporters: “We have a lot of respect for the Rangers. They want the same thing we do. I believe our guys are ready for this series.”

He added: “I see a special team. When times are tough they roll up their sleeves and go straight to work. I’m proud of this group.”

You can listen to Bergevin’s press conference here:

When asked about Dale Weise and Mike Weaver, players he acquired through trades this season, Bergevin said: “There are players that get you in the playoffs, and players that get you through.”

When asked about coach Michel Therrien, Bergevin said: “Michel Therrien was a good coach six months ago, and he was good even when we lost five games in a row.”

Therrien knows his team will be in for a battle against the Rangers.

“Any team that’s part of the final four gets confidence, and that was a good accomplishment for our team to beat Boston,” Therrien said after Friday’s practice in Brossard. “But I have to tell you something: that was a great accomplishment for (the Rangers) to come back from a 3-1 deficit and beat the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’re coming in and they’re really confident. So I pay a lot of attention to their game, especially their last three games. They were phenomenal.

“This is a good hockey team. They’ve got depth up front. They play four lines. They’ve got solid defencemen and they’ve got a great goalie. So this is a really good hockey team that we’re facing right now.”

The NHL has released the complete schedule for the Canadiens-Rangers series and it looks like this:

Game 1: Saturday, May 17, at Montreal, 1 p.m.
Game 2: Monday, May 19, at Montreal, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Thursday, May 22, at New York, 8 p.m.
Game 4: Sunday, May 25, at New York, 8 p.m.
Game 5 (if necessary): Tuesday, May 27, at Montreal, 8 p.m.
Game 6 (if necessary): Thursday, May 29, at New York, 8 p.m.
Game 7 (if necessary): Saturday, May 31, at Montreal, 8 p.m.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Game 1 Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Five Keys to Game 1, canadiens.com

‘I can’t walk on the street right now,’ Reno says, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs’ edge in goal, defence will pay off, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Spotlight will shine on Price, Lundqvist, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

The Canadiens are finally back, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Habs get ready for kinder, gentler Rangers, by Pat Hickey

Canadian fans deserve more respect from NHL, by Pat Hickey

Habs-Rangers series preview, NHL.com

Inside Lundqvist vs. Price, NHL.com

Lundqvist not bothered by Bell Centre, NHL.com

Habs, Jimmy Fallon make bet ahead of series, canadiens.com

Insider trading, canadiens.com

Subban producing goals and gall for Canadiens, New York Times

Rangers’ Vigneault is the anti-Tortorella, New York Daily News

Controlling Subban key for Rangers, New York Post

1. AH says:

Okay Habs, Boston is gone time to WAKE UP !!!!!

2. frontenac1 says:

Ok! Vas-y Les Boys!!

3. SPATS says:

Feature Peise on Weise coming up on HNIC

• Strummer says:

I thought HNIC hated the Habs?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

4. UKRAINIANhab says:

Blog is up.

5. UKRAINIANhab says:

we have to suffer through the MSG camera angles soon :/

6. Danno says:

Is Boone napping?

No Live Blog yet. WTF?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. slyCH says:

RDS: “What’s the key against the Rangers.”

PK: “Play our game.”

All business. Me like.

8. RockinRey says:

That schedule is brutal for fans in the first four games. I realize MSG is multi-use but 2 days between games. Not liking that at all.

I would really like Patches and VAnek to take a look at how hard little Davey is competing and maybe it will rub off. His compete level as been 10 times greater than earlier in the year.

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

Michel will have his guys ready. No doubt.

10. Davey93 says:

Does anyone know if Beaulieu is playing?

11. habsfan0 says:

I know all members of the Rangers organization will be going to Martin St. Louis’ mother’s funeral tomorrow.
    Will any members of the Habs’ organization be attending as well?

12. Habilis says:

I hate afternoon games, but still… EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS!

Hell yeah. Go Habs Go.

• D Mex says:

Well, we’re all loving the ECF but, for me, this is just another reason why Buttman and his crew have got to go.
      Give us a Canadian Division, and this crap doesn’t happen.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

13. Danno says:

30 minutes to go…

Drop the puck!!!

Let’s Go Habs!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

14. Ron says:

@HabFab… their playing your song now on the big screen at center ice. Wow, what a pump up..

15. DipsyDoodler says:

Gotta bad feeling about this one…

—–
    Moving. Forward.

16. Ron says:

Where the H are you Boone. We all know what happened the last time the live blog got screwed up. Come on man, lets get it started..

17. SmartDog says:

@Phil C

I won’t knock your positive perspective.

But everyone in hockey knew the Gomez trade was stupid when it happened. That the Habs did it was more than just a shortage of scouts. It was a system where two guys over-ruled the people on hte ground. We know Timmins fought to keep McDonagh out of the deal. The fact that he lost that important fight wasn’t a shortage of info. The information was THERE. It was arrogance of one or two guys – and blindness on the part of ownership.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habsfan0 says:

Ultimately,the responsibility to finalize the trade fell to the GM of the day,Bob Gainey.

• B says:

Timmins is still with the organization, Gainey not so much.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Phil C says:

I agree. But to lay it all on Gainey and Gauthier is not really fair IMO. It is a mistake they may not make with a bigger staff in place. Trading a guy like McDonagh is not necessarily bad if the return is good. They either undervalued McDonagh or overvalued Gomez. Whether we agree or not on the cause of the mistake, to me it is obvious it was the one of the big dominos to fall that led Molson to clean house.

• Ian Cobb says:

Gillette was selling the franchise and wanted a winner now at the expense of the future!! For the 100 yr. celebration.
      Blame Gillette!

18. Clay says:

The general feeling here seems one of overconfidence – we just beat the Bruins, best team in the league, and think it’s going to be smooth sailing to face a ‘weaker’ team.
    I wonder if the same can’t be said from the perspective of the Rangers – just beat a team who was largely favoured to beat them (one of the top in the league), big emotional series win, and maybe they’re happy to be facing a ‘weaker’ team themselves.
    My point is – this isn’t going to be a cakewalk. I have full confidence that the Habs can win – if they play with the intensity that they had in the last series. But they still need to do it. No point overlooking the Rangers. They are a solid team with excellent goaltending, and need to be taken very seriously.
    With all that said – Go Habs!

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Cal says:

This is going to be a great, long series. I am picking Habs in 7, but I am biased.

• Clay says:

I got the Habs in 5 or 6 – again, if they bring the intensity.

__________________________

• habsfan0 says:

The final game of the season,a 1-0 victory by the Habs,probably indicative of how this series will go.

• SPATS says:

Thankfully, we are in a position to be overconfident based on our play vs the Bruins. Matters not what we think/feel. Sure, the older and wiser among us know that the games will be close and momentum will swing. More importantly, Therrien has our team playing in the present. Boston is a distant memory and he will not let them look past their next shift.

I believe the sudden passing of Mrs St Louis while tragic will prove to be too much emotion to overcome. It is unprecedented and will work against them as much as it helped them vs Pittsburgh.

Sounds cold, but as someone who has experienced what Marty is going through, I have never recovered and its been 11 years.

Habs in 4

19. UKRAINIANhab says:

Just got back from soccer. We beat the Romanian church 4-0. God is with us!!! Go HABS Go

• Clay says:

Strange that god wasn’t with the church team – unless you also play for a church team? Maybe your god is bigger than their god?
      At any rate – well done, and congratulation!

__________________________

On another sports topic, does Hull have a chance at upsetting the Gunners today for the FA Cup?

21. Phil C says:

My two cents on McDonagh: sometimes you learn more from your mistakes than your victories. That trade shed light on the fact that the Montreal head office was too thin as to allow such a collassal failure of pro scouting and player development. It contributed to the wretched 11-12 season which became the impetus for Molson to realize that he needed to completely rebuild his hockey operations. In other words, the failure of the McDonagh situation has helped lead the Habs to where they are now, which is a team with a top notch front office that was able to fill the holes in what was a decent foundation with great trades and pro scouting, which has led to this great Cup run. It also has led to a re-stocked prospect pool which means the Habs have a chance to be a perennial contender like some of the other top teams like Chicago, San Jose, and Detroit. Without the epic failure of that trade, maybe the flaws in the organization do not get so obviously revealed and the teams stays stuck in a quagmire of mediocrity.

Thank you McDonagh.

Wonderful perspective!

• D Mex says:

Didn’t it surface that Trevor Timmins’ trade input was ignored ?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Phil C says:

Reagrdless of what Timmins thought, that trade happened. With the pro scouting staff and player development staff they have in place now, I can’t imagine the same trade being made.

• D Mex says:

Agree that MB has improved the organizational structure significantly, but the key remains his willingness to accept their inputs as the Team GM before pulling the trigger.

In the McDonagh trade situation, we heard that Timmins provided counter-input that was basically ignored or overruled by BG and PG. I have no idea if that was accurate or not.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• Phil C says:

Trading McDonagh was no necessarily bad if the return was good. Maybe they understood the value of McDonagh, but just got a poor return. Either way the organization failed, so they fixed it.

22. habsinnyc says:

Where’s the Boone Blog?????

23. HabFab says:

Guillaume Lefrançois – #Habs According to @ESPNStatsInfo, no division champion advanced to the Conference Finals for the first time since 1993

And to honor this stat;

24. HabFab says:

Guillaume Lefrançois – #NHL Refs for the 3rd round: Dave Jackson, M. Joannette, S. Kozari, Wes McCauley, Dan O’Halloran, Dan O’Rourke, Kevin Pollock, Brad Watson

25. GGtheHab says:

WTF is the real schedule…NHL.com has us playing the 27th &29th….TSN has it as 26th & 28th….I hope NHL is correct because I am flying to Vegas the night of the 28th..

NBC.com matches NHL.com have to follow the money…as usual TSN with some shoddy work

26. sheds88 says:

if the leafs made it this far, CBC would have a 3hr pre-game show with a 2hr pre-pre game show and a 1hr pre-pre-pregame show.

27. fastfreddy says:

@Front, Go Wolverine!!!!!!

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

28. gatorg says:

Sometimes I find myself drifting off wondering what our defense would look like if we still had Ryan McDonagh.

29. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Habs in… six. Or seven.

X X X X X X X X 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• slyCH says:

It’s a countdown, so Habs in 6, or 5…

• BJ says:

Chuck time to go down to 7. It will not be easy today, but we should be good to take the first one.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My apologies Chuck…

***Re-posted***

Un Canadien errant MAY 15, 2014 AT 5:20 PM

In other news, RetroMonkey is nailing it. Love that new sig.

And I need to grovel and apologize to Chuck. I didn’t say anything, but I thought his signature was unreasonably optimistic. Premature. I was afraid of what might be, like maybe only one or two x’s before we get bounced.

I’m saying this as I pick black feathers out of my teeth, but I do declare I love Chuck’s signature.

———————————————————————–
      My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

30. punkster says:

Not superstitious but, hey, this worked for games 6 and 7 so…

Release the Subbang!!!

31. Donkey Hoat says:

Day got dep, but we got dep, too.

I like what Michel Therrien said about the Rangers; it sounds like he has prepared for Game 1, and does not under-estimate them.
    I hope the players got the message.

32. Slackman says:

Been avoiding The Thread so as to not be subject to any troll spew, or any hair-pullingly moronic Timo posts, or any other negative nancy gobbledygook. But here i am on this beautiful Saturday morning, primed for this game and OK with getting drunk before 5.

Nothing but respect for the Broadway Blueshirts. Good on em for wiping the floor with those Penguin scum. I expect a gentlemanly series of good ol’ fashioned hockey. Fast, aggresive, rough but never dirty. (Unless perhaps Carcillo decides to do something stupid.)

Enjoy it folks. Logic says Habs in 5. I called both the Tampa sweep and the game 7 Bruins victory, so hopefully my foresight proves effective.

Gonna be a doozy. GO HABS GO

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• jrshabs1 says:

Timo has been a HIO member for a long time, he’s earned his stripes. Timo believes what he types and never bad mouths any member on here. Respect bro…

Go Habs Go!!!!!

• JUST ME says:

It`s O.K. Timo comes here often in the middle of the night (eastern time ) and again yesterday spilled his negativity but as you see from jrshabs1`s comment some think that he is relevant…

I am a bit like you are, i believe that it is within my choices in life to avoid negativity and if i want to express myself against it it has nothing to do with respect of a person or an idea. it`s just about looking forward and enjoying life positively.

Habs in 6 or less ! Go Habs go !

• jrshabs1 says:

The guy can’t have an opinion? Is your opinion more relevant than his. Why throw in your 2 cents then take the high road? The Habs like life isn’t always lollipops and rainbows. Good for Timo!
        Maybe it’s “just me…”

Go Habs Go!!!!!

33. HairyHabist says:

According seeding, head to head match ups, playoff performance and the oddsmakers, this is the series Habs are most likely to win.

Habs in 5.

34. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! The Wolverine after feasting on The Bear has left the carcass to the flies and vermin. His limitless hunger is returning. He is now smelling The Wolves of Wall Street. He is a Legendary decendant of both Wolf and Bear and possesses a direct link to the Spirit World. He will be Feasting on these Wolves within 6 games. Nature takes its course. Saludos!

35. Say Ash says:

Actually, I think the only time we lost, Reno sang without the coat.

36. JUST ME says:

I will probably come and write this message in one form or another every day but when i see people daring to say timidely that they would like the Habs to win i say HEY ! This is it ! Now !

Since when have we been that close to making it even close to the cup final ? We have been supporting the team through thick and thin and quite often arguing with each other about regular games with nothing at stake but now is the time to get fully into the bandwagon guys (and girls ) !

I say Habs in 6 ! Maybe even less . Go Habs Go !

37. HankHardball says:

Like the 1st two series, Price n PK should be the difference.

If that’s what happens, Habs will win.

38. Sportfan says:

Well unfortunately I miss the game today so everyone enjoy hopefully I’ll come home to a game 1 win GO HABS GO

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

39. Sportfan says:

Who the heck made the NHL playoff schedule for this series? Game 1 and 2 today at 1 then Monday at 8 then we have to wait till thursday for game 3, are you freaking kidding me.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• smiler2729 says:

It’s all GARY and it’s all for NBC.

Screw the young hockey fans who have to be up for school the next day…

I F***ING HATE GARY BETTMAN

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Strummer says:

Yeah- Gary should have told NBC to take their $2 BILLION and stick it where the sun don’t shine!

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• slyCH says:

Buttman will soon extend conference games by 4 days. Cup final games by a week. The cup winners will have no time to celebrate or rest since the season will start by the time they lift the cup. Hockey year round.

• JUST ME says:

And then no hockey next saturday but a game next sunday at 8. I guess we have been told a big and clear FU by Gary haven`t we ?And again today playing in the afternoon to make place for a 2 minutes horse race !

• Sportfan says:

Honestly though people get fed up with hockey once its May and June unless we have our team still in it. Does the NHL not realize this?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

40. Habshire says:

The only thing I worry about today is Dave Jackson not wanting to appear like a homer ref.

41. bjmmn says:

I retired from the US Air Force after 22 years back in November. I am finally able to grow a playoff beard. And it’s working… :)

42. Strummer says:

Love these Rick Nash references from Rosie Dimanno in the Toronto Star
    “There’s slump and there’s the Marianas Trench, into which Nash seems to have fallen.”

“Weirdly, the advanced analytics geeks have been Nash’s most staunch apologists, noting the big winger tops all those arcane categories so beloved to their breed. ”

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

43. HabSgt says:

What’s with the afternoon games & 20:00 start times at night? Why break up the normal routine in the Playoffs? Seems strange.

Winter is coming.

44. on2ndthought says:

Pumped up and raring!
    A little worried about how many are assuming the NYR will be pushed aside. This is a very good team, obviously resilient, much like us. I hope our advantage is depth in and out of the line-up. MT has not been afraid to change personnel if the series seems to dictate it.

I think we owe our professional scouting thanks for that series win. Speed and toughness required? Check! Dale Weiss.
    Steady D? Dream Weaver. (Vanek kinda obvious and kudos to MB) Imagine the Bruins decide to replace Seidenburg by offering a little more for Weaver; that series would have played out differently.

Now we get to face the piece for Weisse: Diaz. He had so many detractors here. I hope you look at him with new eyes this series. I hope our forecheck can get in on him, but he is slick and smart. (for the record: I’d take Weaver over Diaz every time. Weaver is probably the ceiling for Diaz’s talent)

“a cannonading drive”

45. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Congratulations to Teemu Selanne for a phenomenal career (22 years!). The NHL was lucky to have such a class act and ambassador. The complete opposite to the embarrassment we witnessed Wednesday night. Hopefully the NHL learned something…

46. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Une match a la fois.
    Go HABS GO!!!!

47. PK says:

Breakfast with the Habs!
    Go Habs Go!!

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

48. formerly known as the hc says:

Hoping for a Habs series win (obviously) and 7 games of carnage in the Western Final.

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

49. montreal ace says:

I don’t see a let down after beating Boston, the team knows they have a chance at doing something special

50. adamkennelly says:

question for my HIO brethren…

to party or not to party? game starts at 11 a.m. Denver time.

51. JohnBellyful says:

Another fractured fairy tale: The Frog Prince

— “A little song, a little tale, Go, Habs, go. Do not fail.” –

In Ginette I trust!

53. Puck Bard says:

Having surfed Twitter this AM, could we establish a few ground rules?

1. Please stop talking about a parade.

2. Please refrain from referring to PK as “Prime Time”

54. punkster says:

I, for one, am shocked and not just a bit surprised that you actually wrote a comment without trashing the Habs.

Well done.

Release the Subbang!!!

55. Slackman says:

I always knew you were capable of typing a nice, well-written little post instead of just mashing your keyboard with your fists in a paranoid delusional frenzy.

Nice post.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

56. Cal says:

So, did someone hack your account? Or is it a cast of Habs Playoff Fever?

57. slyCH says:

It’s a first.

CRY ME A RIVER POOR LOSER!!

59. D Mex says:

Actually, I think Thornton’s water park fun turned the tied in Montreal’s favour, but for the sake of consistency, you can phoque off just the same, OK ? Thanks !

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

60. Danno says:

Oh, boo-hoo-hoo!!!

Spin it!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs