Habs 1992-93 season flashback: Victory over Oilers in Edmonton

Satherweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 22-13-3  record into a game against the Oilers on Dec. 29 1992 in Edmonton. Below is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Habs embarrass once-fearsome Oilers

CANADIENS 6
OILERS 3

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

EDMONTON – Earlier yesterday, hockey’s most successful general manager of the ’80s was delivering a sombre message:

“There’s only only one way we can go,” Glen Sather was saying, “and that’s up. Nowhere else.”

Sather may have been understating the case if last night’s 6-3 loss to the Canadiens is a measure of what his Oilers have been – and are – this season. If those were the real Oilers last night, is it any wonder that this embarrassment attracted only the second sellout of the season? Is there any reason to expect a third?

What could Ted Green have been thinking about, leaning on crutches behind his bench, trying to light a fire under his underachievers.

Here, after all, was a prideful leader who had been released from a hospital only hours earlier after surgery on his knees. He was there, but where were they – except for Bill Ranford, who kept his associates alive until he ran out of juice in the second period, when the Canadiens scored on their 26th, 30th and 33rd shots.

Where were they when he allowed three more goals in the third period?

Ranford was the only reason the Canadiens didn’t put it away in the first period while the Oilers were being outshot, 19-7, yet still came out of the period with a 2-0 lead on goals by Greg Hawgood and Petr Klima.

Mathieu Schneider, Denis Savard and Vincent Damphousse solved the Ranford Riddle in the second period, and while Brent Gilchrist got one back before the period’s end, Damphousse, Brian Bellows and Kirk Muller put away the Oilers and Ranford in the final period.

“The good thing about this game,” coach Jacques Demers was to mention, “is that we got goals from players who are supposed to score – particularly on the road. If you don’t get goals from Damphousse, Bellows, Muller and Savard, you’re in trouble.”

The Canadiens would have been in deep trouble if they hadn’t managed to get to Ranford in the second and third periods. For one thing, it would have sent them into tomorrow’s New Year’s Eve game in Calgary with a four-game losing streak against one of the National Hockey League’s most accomplished teams.

“We’ve got to feel a lot better about everything now,” said Demers.

Were the Canadiens that good on a night when they outshot the Oilers 36-18 after two periods, yet went into the third period, locked up 3-3?

“I felt we were ready,” shrugged Schneider, once again the best of the Canadiens. “On the other hand, I’m not too sure they were.”

Schneider has that right.

It’s true that most of traffic was in the Edmonton zone almost from start to finish, which says much for a team which fell behind 2-0 fewer than three minutes into the game. On the other hand, what this game was mostly about was error piled upon error by the people in front of him – none greater than Damphousse’s shorthanded goal – and winner – 67 seconds into the third period.

It started with goaltender Ranford being bodychecked out of his crease by one of his own defenders. Then, Savard took two whacks at a loose puck before Damphousse finally slipped it into an open area.

It was, in every way, a comedy of errors by a franchise which once dominated the game.

How did Andre Racicot do on this night?

It goes like this: more and more, there is a sameness about Racicot which needs attention before too long if playing at the major league level is what he has in mind.

On too many nights, the opposition gets to him too quickly.

In his last start against the New York Rangers, a 10-5 debacle, he was beaten on the first two shots.

In Winnipeg, a game he went on to win in splendid fashion – two goals on the first two shots.

Last night, Hawgood leaps off the bench to replace Chris Joseph during an Edmonton power play, and the game’s first shot from just inside the blue line beats him. It’s true that Racicot was screened on the shot, but – one shot, one goal.

Sixteen seconds later, a sharply-angled shot by Klima deflected off Stephan Lebeau beyond Racicot. Two shots – two goals.

Is it a lack of confidence? Nervousness? The fact that he’s not provided with game action often enough?

It’s imagined coach Demers will look into that particular shortcoming, but nobody was counting last night in the wake of a game which could have been lost early and eventually was won big time.

The Oilers were an embarrassment, as general manager Sather was saying. On the other hand, an outpouring of 50 shots – the Canadiens’ highest total of the season – is a notable achievement, even against an inferior team.

NOTES – Jacques Demers was counting on Kevin Lowe going to the Canadiens, not the New York Rangers.

“It’s awfully disappointing. I really thought it was going to happen,” said Demers. “We have such a young defence. I think our average age is 22.5 years. I know he would have helped our kids. I was going to play him with Patrice Brisebois.”

Demers had gone through several scenarios in his head about how to use Lowe.

“He wasn’t going to practice every day,” he said. “We would have given him a lot of days off. To me, his strength is he knows how to win in the playoffs.”

The Canadiens have lost in the second round the last three seasons.

(Postmedia News file photo)

1. punkster says:

Whatever…just because it’s fun:

***Subbang Baby!!!***

2. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! I have to post now because I am up at 9am to watch THE game tomorrow with coffee,cognac and cigars. I will be drifting in and of consciousness during the day so I wish everyone here a Safe and Happy New Year. I also wish Canada to win,Subban a shutout and Homeboy Scotty Harrington to deck that mouthy little pri#k Yakupov. Saludos Amigos!

3. L Elle says:

You are in a wonderful relationship with someone, or so you think. he/she breaks up with you, and you are devastated. A few months later, you’re over the whole thing, and don’t even miss the person.

Along comes the ex and says he/she made the biggest mistake of his/her life and wants you back. You look and him/her and you say GTFO, I’ve moved on.

Another lost season, and this weird analogy will be me and hockey.
    ;)

4. Habilis says:

PA will counter on Monday as per everyone on twitter.

So what do you guys think? Will it be a workable proposal or more foot dragging? After Fehr’s “we’re so close” speech a few weeks ago, I really hope it’s the former.

These guys need to get it done already, it’s too cold and there’s too much snow outside to not have hockey to watch at night.

5. otter649 says:

Tomas Plenkanec left his game early on friday with a suspected rib injury but x-rays showed no damage but will be kept out of his next game as a precautionary move……

6. BJ says:

Rematch of Canada vs Davos tomorrow in the final of the Spengler Cup.

7. habstrinifan says:

Would have been nice to spot the G-SPOT in the habs line-up this season.
    No …. not that one… get your minds outta the gutter.

No …. not that one either although I agree Gally(the chosen one) looks great.

All this focus on the draft picks from 2012 and the junior prospects have me thinking about one of my biggest disappointments caused by this lockout.

I really was anxious to see Gallagher play at least through an exhibition camp and a 9 game trial under a system other than the unfocussed and unprofessional pre-season that was the last under JM.

I agree that all eyes must be on Galcheyuk for the reasons of his draft pedigree and the fact that we finally could have a ‘ready made’ top line talent.
    But I think Gallagher’s game, his trememendous gain in both physical stature and confidence and purpose and his amazing upward curve seen so far is just the type of player the habs need to be that unheralded but impactful addition to our team.

• Habilis says:

Totally agree. I was very much looking forward to see what he could do at the NHL level. Good news is we will get the chance sometime this season. With the compressed schedule that the league is bound to use, there will be a ton of sprains and pulls. I’m sure that we’ll see Gallagher called up at some point.

8. Propwash says:

I guess Bruins fans are going to be happy with the Subban pick. Then again, maybe not because he’s a Subban.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

9. Boomer says:

Tough game for Jones. He was good on the PP but had a few turnovers and cost the US the Strome goal.
    Drouin’s stock on the other hand will probably go up the way he’s been playing.
    I’d like to see Galchenyuk battle infront of the net more. Use that size to screen the goalie, look for tip ins/rebounds. It would make him even more of a threat offensively.
    Looking forward to tomorrow’s game!

• commandant says:

Galchenyuk definitely goes to the net for Sarnia.

It seems to be coaching that they want him on the right hand boards on the US Powerplay which seems to be a lot more structured and a lot less free-flowing than what we see with the Sting.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Boomer says:

i didn’t mean drive to the net. He gets some beauties when he drives to the net. i meant battling in front for deflections and rebounds.

• commandant says:

I’ve seen him score a few rebound goals.

The screening/deflection doesn’t seem to be part of his game, seems like he is more set up to receive a pass and take a one timer, than to be the screen. I can only recall one of his goals this year being a tip in.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Boomer says:

Agreed, What I was saying earlier is i’d like to see more of that in his game, it would make him even more of a threat :)

Catch any Finland games yet? I have some catching up to do. This feels like christmas with so many propsects to watch. Happy new year btw.

• commandant says:

No I haven’t.

I’ll have to catch up when I get home.

I’m in the US visiting family right now, so I’m stuck with the games carried on NHL network, which have pretty much been Pool B exclusively.

I’m sure I’ll be able to catch up with on-demand replays when I get home.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. rhino514 says:

Regarding the comments about us “stealing” the 2012 draft, I find it interesting that the Habs were NOT mentioned by most pundits when asked about the top two or three teams who “won” the draft.
    We may have drafted a few players who fell well below their rankings, but there could be manyy reasons why they in fact fell so low. I´m sure any team could have looked at rankings lists and found a player for eavery round who was not expected to still be available but still was. This in itself does not guarantee a good draft.
    Galchenyuk, barring a serious injuries, is the only guy guaranteed to be a good NHL player. Collberg shows some promise but is far from a sure thing as a solid NHL player. The rest of the players seem to be doing well statistically, but most are playing in offensive minded leagues. If you look at other players with similar offensive totals in these respective leagues, most of those players are not considered to be solid prospects; alot of maybes it seems to me. I think it was a good draft, but I wonder if it has been hyped too much. In four or five years we can say if it was indeed a good draft or not, until then it is pure (fun allbeit) speculation.

• Boomer says:

I don’t know about stealing the draft but we did have a good draft year so far. In a couple of years we can all look back and have a better view of things.
      Out of curiosity, which teams “won” the draft according to these pundits? and who are the pundits saying it?

• commandant says:

Pretty much EVERY pundit had the habs as the number 1 team at the 2012 draft. Whether it was TSN, THN, Sportsnet, Canadian Press, etc….. You name it they all had Montreal at #1. I don’t know what Rhino is talking about here.

Seems to be revisionist history.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

“Galchenyuk, barring a serious injuries, is the only guy guaranteed to be a good NHL player. Collberg shows some promise but is far from a sure thing as a solid NHL player.”

I couldn’t agree with you more. I feel safe in saying that Tinordi is going to be a solid defenseman. I think Beaulieu and Gallagher are also looking “pretty good” but there is no guarantee that Gallagher is going to turn into a consistent 20, 25 or 30 goal scorer. Beaulieu could end up playing like a Campoli and bounce around and barley hang onto an NHL job or slightly better – Briesbois or best case scenario – Markov.

Like you said, the only guaranteed impact player is Galchenyuk. Odds are a few others will pan out but you just can’t be overly certain yet!

I was watching the Dogs game the other night and everyone on the broadcast team was mentioning Louis Leblanc’s name and how the Habs will call on him first if the lockout ends. I was hoping for that at the beginning of the year but he’s looked like crap since coming back from his injury. Total crap.

Speaking of crap, Patrick Holland stinks to this point of the AHL season! There’s lots of time for this guy to improve but people were acting like we stole this guy in the Cammalleri trade and in the 5 or 6 Bulldogs games I’ve seen he’s been invisible.

And one guy who I feel will turn it around and kick it into another gear is Mike Bournival. However, to this point he’d done next to nothing in Hamilton. It is VERY early but people were going so overboard with this guy and acting like he was the second coming Guy Carbonneau.

• habstrinifan says:

Hi Hobie! I really think that you are short changing Gallagher. I admit that I am almost like his Gramma in touting this guy but he has done superbly well in his last junior season and is doing the same in his first AHL season. And the ‘elephant in the room’ concern seems to be moot.

He has inherited that barrel chested physique and ‘huge burly looking head and eyes’ of his hockey uncle and seems to be built for the long haul.

If you look at pictures of Gretzky from a kid through his growth you would find that his head (neck and eyes) outstripped the rest of his body and, in my opinion, lent to his durability. Gallagher seems to be maturing physically like that. Not to mention he is performing at an A-PLUS level.

Re Bournival… I am keeping my optimism re his smarts and hockey skills. But I acknowledge some misgivings.

• BJ says:

I’ve seen most Hamilton games this year and I do not agree with your evaluation. Patrick Holland will make the NHL and should at least a third liner. Beaulieu will be between Brisebois and Markov but closer to Markov. He’s the teams best skater and puck handler. Tinordi can’t miss. Gallagher I love the grit and he could be an NHL 20 goal scorer. I am disappointed in Leblanc so far. Dumont is playing well and could land a third or 4th line job. Morgan Ellis will also make it. My only concern is that other than Gallagher there is not much offense up front (despite Dumont’s 5 point night a couple of days ago). One more concern is other than Tinordi size is an issue.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’ve never seen anyone mention Holland was a steal. In fact all the mentions I’ve seen from people who know something more than how to read a stat sheet have said Holland was getting a lot of assists on a Portland team stacked with over-agers.

• Mark C says:

While I agree that it is too soon to call teams draft winners when it comes to actual NHL value. You are off in saying that pundits didn’t consider Montreal to be winners. A quick google search will tell you otherwise.

All eyes are on the USA, but if Switzerland can tie or beat the Czech Republic tomorrow, then it puts a ton of heat on Finland. They would have to tie or defeat arch rival, Sweden.

Nice to see that the final day of the tournament has so many important games.

I’m surprised no one has commented on the photo of Glen Sather. I’ll give him his due in Edmonton, but he hasn’t really done much in New York over 13 years. This despite having the highest payroll in the league as well as the allure of New York city to bring in top free agents.

Is it the picture of arrogance or is Slats totally frustrated about his inability to win the Cup for the big apple?

• Ron says:

But Steve, he gave us Gomez so I think its arrogance.. :D

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Rangers have slowly gotten better over the past few seasons, to the point where they’re one of the top teams in the league. How much of that is the result Glen Sather’s managerial abilities, I don’t think very much?

We all know he did fleece Bob Gainiey in the Scott Gomez deal but that is probably his one and only great trade? I’m too lazy to go back back and comb through everything.

Sather has to be the luckiest man in hockey history to end up where he did in Edmonton. I mean you could have put Mario Tremblay behind the Oilers’ bench and moved him up to the front office and he’d have done the same job or maybe even better.

• 24 Cups says:

Boogaard, Brashear, Drury, Gomez, Holik, Kasparatis, Redden and Rozsival all come to mind. To be fair, Jagr was a great pick-up.

Sather also seems to now be more inclined to hang on to his young players. Callahan, Stephan, Kreider, Hagelin, McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto and Miller/McIlrath are a nice framework to build on. He traded young assets for Nash but Nash is still just 29.

Rangers are now poised for a Cup run but 13 years and millions of wasted UFA dollars seems a bit much to me. Not many other franchises would have put up with that record of failure.

I really dislike the Huberdeau, Shiefele and to some extend N-Hopkins line. Man, these guys just coast. After that line got the first goal there was zero intensity from them. I thought I watch 3 Mike Camalleri skate out there. Brutal.

Subban was solid for a change. Hopefully this will continue.

My prediction is that Canada will lose a close one tomorrow.

And they need to work on their PP. No presence in front of the net at all. Like watching Habs.

14. accp says:

Team canada still on a roll. good job guys. keep it going

15. commandant says:

Mitch with an rant on all the lockout coverage in the media.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

Ben, you could take Mitch’s name out of there and replace it by most current somewhat-interested fans, including me.
      I don’t come on as often anymore.
      I can’t get up at 4 in the morning, since I’m a night owl.
      The little WJC I’ve watched has been one-sided, mostly, and the only time I’ve been afforded enough down-time to watch Canada, Subban was less than expected.
      I seriously feel my interest in hockey slowly slipping away.
      I’ve spent far more time with my grandson than I ever did. That is when I’m not shovelling.
      Then I come on here, the most reliable site I can find.
      With yours and Chris’ and others who follow junior hockey extensively, you offer insights I can’t find elsewhere.
      And optimism from Jim, Gerry, Frank and others, I retry every so often.
      But I honestly feel that this is the first time in my life where I don’t really care if there’s hockey this season or not.
      I don’t know if it’s the snow, but the whole thing is one big “Meh”.
      If they don’t sign soon, you won’t be hearing from me much.
      And seeing that either my timing is bad or others have fallen into the same funk, I think my emotions (or lack thereof) are shared by other regulars here as well.

• Timo says:

It’s called getting old, Bri. My level of enthusiasm for hockey was much greater about 10 years ago then now. Re WJC, round robin games are rarely exciting unless there are some shenanigans that break out. I remember being at the 2009 semi game against Russians (in Ottawa) and it was by far the greatest (most exciting) game of hockey I’ve ever seen. The atmosphere was unbelievable. But not every game can generate that kind of exciting, less so a 9-3 win over teams like Germany.

Once Habs sign MAB and with Gomer on the first line, the excitement will be back. You’ll see.

• 24 Cups says:

Brian – Lots of salient points that certainly hit home with me.

There are many core issues that cut into my interest level. The lockouts, the blatant, unchecked thuggery and recklessness in the game today as well as the 20 year demise of my beloved team. It’s not one single event but rather death by a thousand cuts.

Instead of ‘Lament for a Nation’, maybe it’s time for someone to write ‘Lament for a Game’.

Where have you gone, Rocket Richard
        A lonely nation turns its eyes to you…..

Jameson!
    In Ottawa you got 3 times the snow we did my friend!
    Plus I am very fit, for a round 69yr. old fella!

17. Mavid says:

just re read my post..holy sounds like I was drunk…U/S instead of US…maybe I thought I was at work…

18. Mavid says:

Just finished watching the Canada U/S game..I PVR’d it…thats the only way to go…fast forward through the commercials and the talking heads…an hour I was done…great game…the final couple of minutes were nail biters…It was the first game I have seen I thought Subban was great..someone on here said that Canada was half the team the U/S is..wonder if they actually watched any games..I thought it was pretty even, maybe giving a slight edge to the US..bring on Russia!

19. Chris says:

My two cents on the USA-Canada game:

Subban was sharp, as was Gibson. Both guys made some quality stops.

Galchenyuk was all but invisible. I simply don’t see what others claim to have seen today…he wasn’t there. Yes, he directed a number of shots towards the net, but often from crazy angles and usually missing the net. Through 50 minutes, he didn’t have a single shot that would have challenged any competent goalie. I was watching for him and he didn’t appear to touch the puck through the first 15 minutes of the game.

That is just bad coaching. Galchenyuk needs the puck to be effective, and he’s not being used smartly at all. The same could be said for Nathan MacKinnon. Galchenyuk made a decent pass on Trouba’s goal, but it was hardly noteworthy…there were tons of better passes that did not lead to goals. That one was a complete fluke goal, and Galchenyuk had nothing to do with it.

Scheifele is a fantastic skater. His ability to change his speed on the fly, opening up passing lanes or skating lanes, is phenomenal. He was so fun to watch.

As much as we talk about steals in the draft, I think the Florida Panthers may have gotten one with Vincent Trocheck, who has been the best player on the American team, when they landed him 64th overall. Great skater, great anticipation, and he’s constantly disrupting the play. He’s not getting points, but that kid has been fantastic!

Jonathan Drouin is one shifty little bugger. I’m not sure how his game will translate to the bigger and faster pace of the NHL, but he’s awfully hard to pin down by guys his own age. Loved watching his play in traffic.

And finally…that was just a painfully bad game to watch. No organization, sloppy passing and terrible breakouts. I’m not going to read too much into any of these kids as prospects after that performance, because it was just awful hockey.

20. Sean Bonjovi says:

This German team isn’t all that bad for whole team full of Germans.

P.S. For some reason I get really excited about upsets in international hockey. That last under 18 tournament had some wacky results and I spent hours reading through the score sheets… well maybe not “Hours”, but…

21. kempie says:

Went to celebrate a friend’s bday last night with two long time die hard NHL fans. In fact, one of them was with me in 1993 when we were lucky enough to attend game 5, back when 7 years without a cup was considered a drought. I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time with these guys for a while and it was real nice to hang out with them and shoot the breeze.

So, when the conversation turned to hockey last night, both these guys informed me that hockey is now dead to them. Not in a “I hate this league but I’ll still watch” kind of way, but more like “I haven’t cared in years” way. These are lifelong hockey fans who used to willingly contribute freely to hockey related revenue. The NHL has lost these fans completely and forever. Not because of this work stoppage but over the past several years due to the insufferable bullshit that’s continuously handed out by this pathetic league.

I doubt the NHL will ever have a chance to win these guys back. They’ve never heard of Galchenyuk, don’t know who is on the roster etc. and truly don’t care. I wonder how many long-term fans like this the league is alienating in this way. They still have my interest, but not like they used to and I now hand over my money grudgingly and rarely.

Without a doubt, the NHL is rapidly losing fans interest in weaker markets, but I’m starting to think that the damage done is starting to seriously penetrate into the strongholds in Ontario & Quebec. The NHL has been running the show for a long time but things change and maybe it’s time to let this mess burn to the ground and see what rises from the ashes. Maybe the result would be a league that places value on the actual game of speed & skill instead of one that wants to be NASCAR on ice run by a guy who acts like he’s selling Arby’s franchises into places that don’t give a crap.

22. HabFab says:

Links to various writers around the league on going forward. Most thinking along the lines of Cherry and Elliott except for Brooks who views anything other, then the NHL throwing themselves at Fehr’s feet begging for mercy, as unacceptable;

NOTE: interesting point raised here. Out of over 100,000 season ticket holders amongst the Canadian based teams, only 200 have cancelled during the lock out.

23. HabFab says:

DarrenDreger – NHL and NHLPA information sessions resume at 9:30am. At 3 sessions required to complete assessment of NHL proposal.

24. Habs64 says:

Tomorrow is a 9 EST(10 AST for me) start vs Russia so should make midnight:)

Taking kids to Sea Dogs vs Moncton Wildcats that night.

25. habstrinifan says:

Good morning after a beautiful Canadian WJC win. Don’t know how long before I hit the wall but so far so good.

Amd I the only one who sees some similarities in the way Subban makes that across the crease leg save (really skate save) and the way Dryden did?

OK! All done with the shovel this morning, the sun is out and Canada wins! Cannot ask for much more.

I know Quebec and the Maritime s are getting blasted with snow early this year. Time to stay off the roads and watch TV.
    We are very lucky here in Belleville so far this year. About 10 inches on the ground.
    Belleville Bulls are playing well without Malcolm in net. Fri. we beat Guelph and Saturday we beat Kitchener

27. HabFab says:

The consensus is that the Habs stole the 2012 Draft, still nice to see the results;

• 24 Cups says:

Frank – I often wonder if the team “stole” the draft or if it was more of a case of players just “falling into our laps”. Collberg would be a prime example with Bozon, Hudon and Vail also falling lower than their expected draft order.

I still remember when the two of us joined the site. The consensus was that the team had the best stable of young Dmen in the league. We would be set for at least a decade. They are all gone now except for Subban, who in reality turned out to be the diamond in the rough (there also is Weber but his status is still up in the air).

I’m happy with the team’s picks but cautiously so.

• HabFab says:

Steve – agree it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. But then it usually is. And my theory on “prospects” is that they rhyme with “suspects”, which they are, until they prove themselves in the NHL. ;)

Timo!
    Where are you? Get out of bed me son! The game is over!

• Ian Cobb says:

HabFan! The boys will push the league for sure, for one, they won’t like a 6 year contract, but they will push the league until Betmann say’s the season is done. And only then will a deal get done “maybe!
      I hope they call the season off now anyway!

• Habfan10912 says:

I hope you and Canada’s Bigot are wrong on this Frank. I kind of thought that’s where we were earlier in December when Bettman gave his infamous “I’m pissed” presser when he thought the moderate owners had gotten a deal and Fehr and his boys thought there might be another nickle on the table.
      I am really rooting hard for a shortened season more from a standpoint of a Habs draft position. Another top 5 pick would be awesome.

———————————–

• Cal says:

Hey, Jim. A little bad luck for your side today, but they should be Slovakia tomorrow and get into the QFs.
        Gibson’s great effort was wasted.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think it comes down to Canada and Russia. The US doesn’t have the depth to go against the big two. It’s a shame no one in the US cares about this tournament because it’s really the best hockey that most of us see in a non Olympic year. No newspaper or TV news coverage here at all, Not even a score on the ESPN ticker. Plus they broadcast the games on the NHL Network which half the country doesn’t get and the other half doesn’t know where it is. Sad really.

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

Frank – A move by the league to a 64-65M cap in 2013-14 and the deal is done. The extra 5M wouldn’t impact all the teams and would provide an element of stability for both sides. Using the Habs as an example, they would easily be able to meet this cap threshold and still be able to accommodate the new salaries for Subban, DD and Galchenyuk.

If Fehr pushes too hard, then he runs the risk of the hawks taking over which would put the season at risk. Then all three parties involved would suffer major setbacks that could take years to repair.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree. I also would add if they lose this season completely the owners would have no need to push for a season next year. They may look at a more drastic solution to the economic issues. I think the pressure is now on the players to get back on the ice.

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

If the season is cancelled then the Fehr brothers are on really thin ice. The players will start to buckle and turn on their leaders. If I’m Bettman, I would push to crush the NHLPA once and for all. I would hold out for a CBA that is much more draconian than this offer. A ten year deal that has absolutely no flexibility or loopholes. The only concession that the hawk owners would have to make is a temporary form of higher revenue sharing to help out the markets that have been hit hard by the strike.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with your premise that the owners will look for a ‘drastic solution to the economic issues’ if this entire season were to be lost. I do not think that they will have to ‘push’ the issue to the point of endangering the next season though. 24 Cups (below) is right re Fehrs (and NHLPA) coming out in a very weakened state after a lost 2012-2013 season. They would be at the league’s mercy.

29. Great win for Canada. Was cheering for both a win and a strong performance by Galchenyuk. Strange coaching decisions by U.S. In order to fix a sputtering top line, Housley breaks up the second trio of Gally, Barber and Trochek, who were displaying lots of good chemistry. That did the U.S. in, I found. Gally did well under the circumstances. What was he left with – maybe a dozen shifts? I think he fired about 9 shots at the net. To my mind, if he’s more in the game, he doesn’t bobble that last minute chance, with the tying goal on his stick. Five points in three games for Galchenyuk, and Housley’s not recognizing his best and most useful players.

• jols101 says:

Ya, I thought Gally played a good game as well. He wasn’t on fire but played well. Ferraro kept giving him grieve for not doing much but it is not like he is being used properly by Housley.

Perfect example of a great player making a terrible coach. He is a high school coach and it shows. He just rolls 4 lines and makes no effort to get his better players more ice time.

• I don’t place much stock in Ferraro’s comments – they are unpartisan, of course. Gally did well considering the situations he was placed in. Still waiting to see his SOG totals. It will be interesting to see how Housley manages his icetime next game. And yeah, the rolling of four lines throughout showed little coaching creativity. Not adjusting to game situations, especially in the third, really bogged the U.S. chances down. Doesn’t Gally play the PK in Sarnia?

• jols101 says:

Yep, he plays the second wave on the PK in Sarnia and is quite effective at it. That would be a simple remedy to get Gally more engaged.

• Hopefully, Housley clues in. Gally has points on half of the U.S. goals thus far. More involvement equals dividends. His skills are not being exploited to their fullest potential thus far. A shame as I see it.

• HabFab says:

Robert, off subject but it sounds like your book is selling well. Two weeks prior to Christmas there were only 3 left in Atlantic Canada.

30. jols101 says:

USA in a must win now against the Slovaks tomorrow or they are out. Slovaks gave the Russians all they could handle and had our Canadian boys against the ropes for a while; it won’t be a cake walk for them.

We never make it look easy do we. Glad I got up to watch. Tomorrow morning will tell a large story against the home team!
    See you again at 8:30am Monday!
    Now I better get out and shovel!

32. Cal says:

Have to say that Gibson and Subban both played great, with Subban getting the edge today.
    The lack of discipline late (hello N-H) almost cost Canada dearly. Still, pretty good entertainment for 5 in the morning.

33. Cal says:

Ok. We can all exhale now. ;)

34. jols101 says:

Subban was the difference today. Hope his critics shut up.

35. twilighthours says:

Selfish penalty: RNH

36. jols101 says:

These refs are terrible. I’m all for Canada winning but feel for the USA. This is as utterly incompetent as giving Camara 5 minutes and a game for a 100% clean hit just because the kid got hurt.

37. Carta-Hab says:

Anyone else notice how great Trouba has been playing? Seems like he was a great pick for the Jets.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

38. jols101 says:

Going to be a great finish. USA coming on strong. Gally with an assist on the US goal I think.

39. jols101 says:

Out of the 3 highly touted prospects playing in this game Drouin is playing the best and has been the most impressive.

Hockey first! then we shovel. Only about 3 inches overnight, to go along with the 6 inches yesterday. But we have a lot less snow than Mtl, Ottawa or even the west!
    The 4 min Kill was the key to the second period. Have to stay out of the box and we should be OK. But a 2 goal lead is very dangerous!
    Enjoy! boys and girls, I don’t think to many of the girls are up yet!

41. Cal says:

Subban was HUGE on Galchenyuk’s in-close try late in the period. It seemed to me the US coach has been moving Galchenyuk around, trying to find some offense.

Aside from the double-minor, I am glad for Canada’s disciplined play this game.

42. Carta-Hab says:

I really don’t understand why the US is not playing Galchenyuk more. Their supposed first line has has generally been out performed by Galchenyuk’s line. Why not insert him on the first line for a few shifts to try and generate more offence? I suppose we may see that in the third. Good game so far. Canada playing great defence as well as offence

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

43. AliHaba says:

I’m embarrassed to say that I overslept and missed the first period. We’re getting a major snowstorm here right now.

Good positioning by Subban in net.

45. twilighthours says:

I stil don’t see “first overall” in Seth jones.

46. Ron says:

Well played period. Both teams are flying out there. Their all over Jones making him cough up the puck on numerious occasions and should lead to more chances on Gibson. Subban playing well, making the big saves so far.

• Ian Cobb says:

Nice to see you up and at it in the Maritime s Ron! 1 hour more sleep than myself I suspect.

• Ron says:

Should have been an hour Ian, got up for washroom run at 4 AT and never went back. Great game, made very early run to Tims and stocked up. In bliss watching this. Getting a bit of a pounding with snow right now but hockey first worry about that later.

Nice to see who the real hockey fans are Cal.
    This is far from over, it is a great game so far for us. We better get ready for them in the first few minuets of the second, and we better not take foolish penalties like the last one, CEAP for sure.

48. Cal says:

Canada with their best period of the tournament. A minimum of errors while the Americans are having too many players trying to do too much (Seth Jones holding on to the puck deep in Canada’s zone, then losing it and causing a 3 on 1 the other way). Lots of good hits with no one lying on the ice bleeding from the nose and mouth. Subban’s best period, as well, stopping all three good chances the Americans had.

Watching the penalty called against Strome, one gets the impression the refs get itchy trigger fingers and feel like they need to make calls for the sake of making calls. I haven’t had an issue with the suspension calls over the tournament, but some of these stick fouls sure seem phantom like.

Great first period for Canada though.

49. Carta-Hab says:

*Yawns* Got my coffee at the ready. Ready for what should be a classic. Hoping to see all players raise their game to a level not seen yet at this tournament. Should be a great one! Go Canada! (and Galchenyuk).

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

50. Psycho29 says:

I can’t believe I woke up at 4:30

51. jols101 says:

Rise and Shine !!! GO Canada GO. Time to grind the Yanks into the ice.

Going to be a beauty. USA will be pumped after a loss to the Ruskies.

Hope Gally puts on a good show, other then that, total Canadian domination would be nice…

52. Bozo McBozo says:

The sad truth is that no one, myself included, gives a rat’s ass damn if the NHL plays or not!

53. Mark C says:

Bozon with a hatty and helper, he’s now 5th in goals and points in the WHL.

Thrower also had a goal tonight.

Word on the street is that Hudon will be back on the ice by Jan 2.

That was so not vegetarian but still beautiful.

55. habs913 says:

Mr. Hickey,

These fantasy articles are no longer comical. It was funny to see Gomez score a goal in the first game but since then, not so much.
    Other writers have found other things to write about but you, on the other hand, focus on this non-sense. The problem is, you’re a fake. You have no contacts and have no real information to share with us. This leads you to make a salary writing about freaking fantasy. You might think differently, but most readers on HIO are not relishing the idea of this fantasy season and strongly recommend you smarten up your act.

Sincerely,

HIO readers

56. jo_maka says:

This fantasy nonsense has to stop. If I wanted NHL13, I got it at home. I come here for something else. There are a lot of very interesting hockey topics right now that could’ve been further explored, lockout or not. There is absolutely no reason for this to go on. None whatsoever.

57. Harditya says:

Outshot 47-17 by Lake Erie. Going to be a long season for the baby Habs. I guess patience is the key with so many rookies going pro this year.

58. Ron says:

Dogs lose 4-0. Gallagher got into a fight late 3rd and faired ok. Hagel did the usual, Commodore tried to keep things even late in 3rd and nobody wanted him, got thrown out. Not a good showing tonight. Out shot 47/17. Abit pathetic.

59. j2w4habs25 says:

where can i watch UFC155 online?
    anyone know any good live online streaming for sports?

Carey Price #31

60. Ron says:

The Tinman as much as destroyed another one. He can throw them.

61. Ron says:

The gates are opening on Desjardins, 3-0 in 3rd period. The D have disappeared on him.

EDIT: Now 4-0

62. Cape Breton says:

Was this a fantasy game? I can’t tell the difference anymore.

63. Ron says:

Still 1-0 Lake Erie after 2 periods. Not a good showing. Out shot 32/12

64. Ron says:

Bulldogs down 1-0 end of 1st. Being out shot 21/4 by Lake Erie. Been in penalty box most of game. Very poor showing.

65. HabFab says:

Out shoot 22-4 in 1st period. Dogs are lucky they are only down 1-0.

66. Max_Hab_Fan says:

Hi, back from a two year break… and First!!

67. twilighthours says:

I know all that. And I’ve watched more than two periods now. He’s obviously a first rounder. First overall? I don’t see it yet.

68. Cal says:

2 Americans received 2 + 10. Those will be reviewed.

69. jols101 says:

It will be good to see Jenner play his 1st game. He hits like a mack truck too. They will need some of that, the Russians are a big team this year and they aren’t the passive Ruskies of old, they will hit back.

70. Cal says:

Like they did for the Camara charge.

71. Habfan10912 says:

Riga, someone else was having an issue earlier in the week. I. forgot who it was. Not sure it was ever resolved.

———————————–

72. Bill J says:

It’s been a while since I set mine up, but I seem to remember something about “submitting” or something along those lines. If you don’t do it, the picture will not show up.

After submitting your picture which must be G rated, it helps to clear all your cookies etc. in your browser and make sure you re-sign into HI/O in order for the new picture to arrive. It is always a bit wonky, as just when I switch mine and think it will work it doesn’t and then voila later it is there.

74. Chris says:

I got to watch Lino Martschini in his rookie season up in Peterborough and he was one of the most entertaining players I’ve ever seen live. He had a non-stop motor and never, ever gave up on a play.

I see he’s right there with Galchenyuk in scoring (1 goal and 4 assists in 3 games), but at 5’6″ and 143 pounds, he has no future in the NHL. He’s playing in Zug this season, having left the Petes after a solid season as an 18 year old (21 goals and 56 points in 63 games) for a terrible team.