Habs 1992-93 season flashback: Team comes up short in Chicago

patrickweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took an 18-7-3  record into a game against the Blackhawks on Dec. 6, 1992 in Chicago. Below is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Canadiens come up short

BLACKHAWKS 2
CANADIENS 0

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

CHICAGO – A funny thing happened to the Canadiens on their first and only visit of the season to Chicago Stadium: Brian Skrudland played, but too many of his colleagues didn’t.

What’s interesting, though, is that Skrudland – who has no complaints over his ice time – insists there wasn’t enough of him in this 2-0 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks.

“I think I should have been more of a leader. I should have been a sparkplug. These guys,” he said with a wave of his hand around the room, “played last night in Winnipeg. I didn’t. There should have been more of me in this game.”

Skrudland is overstating the case, of course.

For one thing, he wasn’t even due to play until tomorrow in Phoenix against the Los Angeles Kings. For another, only the excellence of Patrick Roy avoided an acute embarrassment for Skrudland and Friends, rather than the modest loss they suffered.

This one could have been over shortly after it began while the Blackhawks went about the business of locking an iron fist around the game with first-period goals from Steve Larmer and Christian Ruuttu. There could have been more, largely because the Blackhawks grabbed the game by the throat from the start and rarely loosened their grip – although the Canadiens gave as much as they received in the last two periods.

“Five or six goals is what they could have scored,” said general manager Serge Savard.

More, maybe, among the 17 shots Roy faced in the first, 31 in all.

“It happens on some nights,” shrugged Roy. “A guy plays well and his team loses. We go on.”

Skrudland played last night with Denis Savard and Gilbert Dionne, who was another surprise starter. Savard, however, wasn’t around for the third period after high-sticking Frantisek Kucera near the end of the second. Savard also was provided with a major penalty to go along with his ejection.

The Blackhawks came out of the first period with a 17-9 margin in shots, and the best thing to be said about it was that they were grateful for little mercies.

Put it this way: if Roy was anything less than at the very top of his game (he stopped 10 Chicago shots while the Canadiens were delivering only one at Jimmy Waite in the first four minutes) it’s bye-bye.

“Sometimes, you get those nights,” said Roy. “I feel pretty good about coming out of the first 10 shots without allowing a goal, but it was a tough game from start to finish.”

Roy hasn’t played better in any game this season, despite the loss. But what often happens in games like these, is that the first goal is a soft one – all the more so when it’s short-handed.

Larmer was responsible for spoiling the party a little more than seven minutes into the game, and by that time, the Blackhawks had flung a dozen shots at Roy. Now, though, Chicago – which incurred the only two penalties of the first period – was going about the business of killing off one. Brent Sutter, who’s been there before, knocks Mathieu Schneider off the puck and leaves it for Larmer. His short shot was stoppable, but it appeared that Roy caught only a piece of it.

Roy, on the other hand, had no chance whatever on the Ruuttu goal, his 11th, roughly two and a half minutes later. A short rebound had fallen at his feet, with no defender within a time zone of him. No contest.

In any assessment of what happened last night, this one was yet another example of the Canadiens playing a dangerous game. Catchup hockey, in other words. It’s worked well against some of the NHL’s less-talented teams, but the Blackhawks are made of quality stuff. If they give an inch, they make certain it’s only an inch.

Catchup hockey doesn’t do well against teams like these, particularly when Waite is on his game. He produced the game’s best save, for example, when he stopped Eric Desjardins from close in late in the second period.

It’s a period which also happened to be the Canadiens’ best. It goes like this: Roy clearly was the only reason they were alive after the first – long enough to allow them at least a few high moments in the second.

As it developed, though, there weren’t nearly enough of them. They got the job done the night before, beating the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 in overtime after falling behind 2-0, but the Blackhawks are made of sterner stuff.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

1. Fake says:

I see commandant and some people arguing below about the NHL not throwing players a bone, and yes you have a point. – This lockout is total BS, yes the players are over paid at 57-43 and yes they’re willing to go down to 50 as long as there contracts are honored blah blah blah, I don’t care about that ish. This is how you fixed the damaged game.

STEP 1:
    MOVE TEAMS THAT ARE FAILING.
    come on it’s obvious this is why we’re supposedly doing this lockout in the first place. Suggestions – the obvious Quebec City, Markham, Seattle AND other places in Canada that don’t have teams that should – such as Halifax. Canada is where hockey was made and should be played. Period.

STEP 2:
    PROMISE THE FANS AND PLAYERS THIS WON’T HAPPEN AGAIN.
    put it in contract that the players will never have to go below, say 47% of the share. Promise there will not be a lockout again to the fans and apologize. This ish should be kept behind closed doors anyway. They all just look like a bunch of kids fighting over the last cookie. Selfish pieces of ish.

FIX THE GAME – ITS SIMPLE. AND BTW:: If they can’t move the teams successfully or don’t at all, are they just going to keep coming back for more from the players? Yes. So the players do have a valid point, but as far as there contracts are concerned they mean jack all. There are clauses in the contracts. That’s why the Owners signed those big deals in the first place this off season. So find mutual ground on that one. So bottom line – fix it or it goes under. Which is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard for such a successful sport.

2. Chuck says:

Just re-watched that tribute video closely. When Bettman hands Carbonneau the Cup, you can actually see him mouth the words, “Never again”.

___________________________________________________

• Ron says:

Very qualified gentleman. Along with his firm they must pose abit of an impressive face to the NHLPA, although they have their own council besides the Fehr brats.

3. Fake says:

Why does everyone try these fantasy trades with Subban? Now it’s getting pathetic. Don’t fix what isn’t broken aka the players that are working on a team stay put. And on Marchand: do we need another smurf?

4. Cal says:

So, is this when Cindy starts whining or crying? Or both?

5. HabFab says:

All done, nothing to see, move along!!

• commandant says:

Yup, both sides have done giving their concessions, and theres just no more concessions to give.

Until Sunday, Monday or Tuesday when we have some new fangled meeting and do this all again.

They are inching towards a deal, will they ever get there?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Yup Daly is heading to the leagues Head Offices.

• Ron says:

@HabFab, as you mentioned earlier as too the NHLPA not able to blame Bettman tonight. Tweet from Damien Cox : Players can’t blame Bettman at this point. He hasn’t been in a single meeting this week.

6. Propwash says:

Bill Daly just left the meeting.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

Yah just heard that, they haven’t confirmed if meeting is over or not yet. Who knows, sounds like the negotiating games are back on.

• Propwash says:

I just started following a boatload of reporters on Twitter lol. I created a profile a couple of years ago but never really used it until now.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Chuck says:

They sent him out for Chinese.

___________________________________________________

All my optimism is pretty much already gone, ( I am yo-yo these days, insert obvious joke now _ _ _ ) Thankfully there is NFL to watch tonight instead of the usual suspects on TSN telling me the same thing over and over.

Thankfully Don Fehr is really and truly involved to help the players and not enhance his legacy.

• Cal says:

No one in the PA has given the players a reality check. Well, with the season in the balance what more could we really expect of Don Rope-A-Dope Fehr. When the players lose 100% of the season, I think they’ll lose 100% of the Fehr Brothers.

• wjc says:

Don Fehr is a dog gone hero. Protecting the abused and under paid players. Three cheers for Don Fehr…..on 3.

wjc

• ZepFan2 says:

“under paid players.”

Like Ryan Sutter and Zach Parise and their 13-year, $98 million US deals?

Those poor owners, they’re losing money by the boat load.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

8. HabFab says:

@Ron – the other NHL negotiator at the meeting is Bob Batterman. He is the lawyer (plus law firm) that handled the NBA and NFL lock outs for the owners and whom the NHL hired to counter Fehr.

9. commandant says:

Also Steve Fehr, Don Fehr, and the Players are meeting with Daly right now… no Bettman to be found.

I don’t know what that means… just what it is.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. HabFab says:

No Bettman also no owners present.

According to TSN, moderate owners got their more hardliners to agree to yesterdays offer which players rejected quickly…3 of the moderates then went home.

That is the negativity that is mentioned.

11. Bripro says:

The meeting has started.
    Any guesses on how long it lasts? 15 minutes?
    I’m sorry for being so optimistic.

• HabFab says:

With no owners present.

• Cal says:

Fehr backs down on the mediation request or the NHL tells him to go bleep himself. Could be a real short one, Bri. (That’s a Bettman joke)

• commandant says:

God forbid we have experts in the room to go over the final stages of the deal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

God forbid Fehr take one step forward, ffs.

• commandant says:

Has the NHL taken a step forward? I still haven’t heard a single thing…. not one single thing, that they have offered the players that is better than what was in the current CBA.

An actual tangible benefit, something that gives the players one more right, or one more benefit to cling to in making a deal.

You are getting a TON of concessions here. Just give them one thing… just ONE THING that they can walk away from the negotiations saying, yeah, but we got X, and we can use X to do this, this and this….

Example: 1 year earlier on arbitration… or 1 year earlier on UFA, or something… just something.

You want an agreement both sides can live with, throw them a bone FFS, and maybe we can get a deal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

And there won’t be.

• Cal says:

This one is meant for your reply below-

Don’t you get it, yet? The players in the NHL are better off than in any other hockey league. And if they don’t know it, they should go to Europe and find out first-hand.
          The players will never “win” this deal excepting the incredible pay and benefits they receive from their employer. And that they can’t get anywhere else.

• commandant says:

Having the best players in the world is a huge reason why the NHL has been able to create a league that is better than any other in the world.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

And who do you think owns that league Ben? Neither here nor there if they are right, they are the owners. Players need to get the best deal they can and accept it. The deal will look far worse next summer if they keep this up.

Decertifying will be a certifiable Sh*T Show if they go that route. Then it becomes a lawyer versus lawyer show and we know who has deeper pockets.

12. Bripro says:

Here IS a surprise. A player quite vocal on Fehr. Matthew Barnaby:
    “Only one that could mess this up is Fehr and we are headed down that road. I still haven’t lost hope but….”

13. Habfan10912 says:

Several reports say owners furious with Fehr over his stall tactics. Tonight’s session might just blow up. No owners will be there. Just Bettman and his team of experts.
    Is Fehr the only person who could actually make Bettman look like a good guy?
    ———————————–

14. Bripro says:

This is a surprise (enter sarcastic face here).

“Not new phrasing, but .. RT @adater Owners furious about Fehr’s stalling, mediation ploy. He’s a “suicide bomber” one from mgmt aisle put it”

Why is Fehr back in there???

• Habfan10912 says:

You are quicker then I Bri. These guys are gonna screw this up aren’t they?

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Oops, I guess I owe you an apology… :D
        (see above)
        And yes buddy, it looks exactly like Fehr will screw this up on his own now.
        I don’t like Butthead, but I don’t like Fehr any more.

• Mr. Biter says:

Finally people are seeing the light about Fehr.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Bripro says:

There’s no “finally”.
            I’ve said from day one that I though hiring Fehr was a bad move.
            He ruined our baseball franchise (along with two other idiots), and he’s heading down the same path with our game. I can’t stand the guy.

15. Mavid says:

The only sharpness Bettman has is the point on the top of his head

16. The Dude says:

People talking bout trading Subban….Would anyone trade him for Brad Marchand so he could be with his bro in Boston?

17. Hobie Hansen says:

@Shiram – You aren’t the only one suffering through a “Communication Breakdown.”

I bought my modem via Rogers two years ago, ended up getting it free through some rebate, and according to their tech support it’s the reason my interent service has slowed to a crawl.

The tech told me I could go to a Rogers store and swap it free of charge. Went to two different stores and apparently it’s an older one and they will swap it for a slightly newer one but either of the two stores get that model in very often.

So my choices are to keep driving around town or purchase the latest one at whatever stupid price they’re going to charge me, I didn’t bother asking.

It’s taken hours to download a 20mb file today when it usually takes a minute or so? The one thing about Rogers though is they do at least have Canadian tech support.

• Mike D says:

I used to deal with both companies but Bell really shafted me so I’m strictly with Rogers now. Still though, there’s no “good guys” between them. Ultimately, consumers are left to choose between the lesser of two evils.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• shiram says:

Think you meant Bripro? He’s been having internet issues, I have not.
      Vidéotron has got Canadian support as well, I’ve been with them for a few years, and they are usually pretty good support wise.

• Propwash says:

I had two modems pop on me with Videotron, and I’ve had replacements installed within a couple of hours.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ah sorry shiram, I always get you two mixed up. Partly because you both jump on me for being an idiot on here on occasion :-). You can add Matty to that mix as well.

Three guys who don’t stand for my BS.

Burlington gives me a bit more slack though.

• shiram says:

Sorry Hobie, I hope I have not insulted or annoyed you too much.
          Bripro, Matty and Burly is great company, glad you liken me to those guys!

• Hobie Hansen says:

You guys are great and you’ve never insulted me, unless you pick on my man Don Cherry!

I probably should have quit while I was a head ;-).

• Bripro says:

I JUST came on (looking for someone to tell me that they’ve settled), see something about a communication and I thought “Hey, I’m not the only one…” scroll down …. scroll down… then I read this!
          What the he** are you talking about?
          There you go off half cocked, with unfounded accusations again!
          You know, I’ve got a right mind to call you out….
          Never mind. ;)

Hobie, I won’t say who but believe it or not an individual from this site bought me a Don Cherry Figuerine, so evidently we have something in common!

18. Ron says:

LeBrun tweets that NHL/NHLPA meeting are to start around 5 pm ET at the earliest.

19. Mattyleg says:

If that mediator thing is true, then that could actually mean good things.

The mediators originally walked in, saw how intransigent each side was, and said ‘we can’t do anything here, you’re too far apart. Call us when you’re closer.’

Now perhaps they are, in fact, closer, but just need someone to give one of the sides a nudge to take the deal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Mike D says:

Larry Tannenbaum has left NYC and will not be part of today’s CBA talks according to Darren Dreger. Not sure if this is indicative of talks not going well, but he is considered one of the moderate owners so it certainly doesn’t help.

I’d feel much better about things is it was Jacobs or Edwards leaving.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Mike D says:

Chipman (who was another moderate) has also left. I hope this isn’t a bad sign.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Ron says:

Looks like the good cop bad cop act. Bring in the moderates and meet with the players. Come up with a new offer to the players making the league look like they have moved because of the inclusion of the moderate owners. Now the bad guys that will make the final decisions take over and play it from here. I think the new offer given yesterday was all part of the sequence of Bettmans strategy from the get go.

I have thought the same thing Ron. I am no fan of Bettman, but he is sharp.

• Mike D says:

What’s funny to me is that the owners have not actually conceded anything to the players, yet the players are likely close to accepting this deal anyway. If the owners would throw a bit more money into the Make Whole (outside the pension) and maybe increase the term limits from 5 & 7 to even 6 & 8, the players would likely take it.

I don’t think there’s that much more needed to get a deal done.

This is just my read of the situation of course.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Ron says:

They did increase the Make Whole to 300 mil based on the 10 year CBA life. Although I would think that the league might leave it at that with a lesser CBA length. Not sure if it would be hauled back off the table if no 10 year span.

• Mike D says:

50 of that 300million is for the pension though, and you’re correct about it being tied to the 10 year CBA….though both sides have the option to opt-out after 8 years so technically it’s an 8 year deal if the players want.

My point about the owners not making any concessions to the players is that the players won’t be gaining anything from what they had in the last CBA. They will have a smaller percentage of the revenue and contract limitations of some kind. The Make Whole helps balance the revenue percentage they’re giving up, but it only lasts for a short time and only benefits some of the players.

In short, the players aren’t walking away with anything more than what they had before and are giving up a lot.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

21. Propwash says:

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

Further attrition to the NHLPA side, David Backes has left the CBA meetings. #TSN

This isn’t going too well at all.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

22. Hobie Hansen says:

This request by the NHLPA to bring back mediators seems to have pushed back the likelihood of an agreement from possible hours to either days or weeks…

Maybe something pops up later today to shift things back to the positive side but the excitement from yesterday seems to be fading away hour by hour.

When’s the Bulldogs next game again?

23. Ron says:

John Shannon by tweeter says that the NHLPA has requested the Federal Mediators back at the negotiations. The league has yet to agree.

Whats this, Fehr dragging it out further ?

24. Habfan10912 says:

Gomez now has 3 goals, 4 assist in 6 games and is a +2 for the Alaska Aces. Perhaps he’s found his way out of his scoring slump. Play in the ECHL. Sorry Burly. Couldn’t resist.

———————————–

25. jols101 says:

PK SUBBAN – The only NHL player to get more TV time during a lockout then a regular season. OTR, That’s Hockey, Hockey Centeral at Noon, Friday Night Hockey, Commercials etc.etc..

I love this guy. Hope Bergevin gets him signed as soon as this lockout ends. As much as I love him if I was GM I wouldn’t say no to –
    PK straight up for Nail Yakapov or
    PK for Brayden and Luke Schenn .
    Mention these possibilities only because rumors that Edmonton and Philly are both interested. It would have to be HUGE return to give this Kid up.

I also like PK alot, but would also agree to the Yakupov trade scenario. Makes us worse short term as we rely on PK so much right now, but in the long run I believe would be a good trade.

• Fake says:

It’s not even worth thinking about those big returns, PK was built for MTL he isn’t affected in a bad way by the attention, hype, or the pressure of playing in MTL. It probably makes him an even better player. But that’s besides the point. Like MaxPac, Davey, Cole, and hopefully Gally; he has the character and the mental make up to be successful under MTL pressure. There are alot of players who have not flourished in MTL due to the fact that they don’t have the mental make up to do so.

BTW: if you didn’t know I was talking about MTL. (said it alot.)

26. commandant says:

From the last thread

Re: Bigger Ice Surface

Go watch a game from the Swedish League sometime. The bigger ice surface DOES NOT lead to more offence. Its a Jacques Lemaire/Jacques Martin style coach’s dream.

Clog the middle, and leave more room on the outside for the other team to play at the perimeter and take bad angle shots at our goalie.

The one thing it does do, is that more space might lead to less injuries, and less hitting, but it doesn’t create more offense. Just more opportunity for a stiffling coach.

If you want the bigger ice surface as a safety measure to reduce concussions and the like, I can see that working. But produce more offence? I don’t see it.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• SmartDog says:

It would be too hard to increase rink sizes anyway.

What they SHOULD do is make the players smaller. They could just require that the average height on any team is 5’11”. Man, we’d have a team then!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• New says:

Think outside the box. Make it concave. That way you increase the surface, the goalie scrambles more, and players like BGL just sort of gravitate to the center and are ignored.

• Mike D says:

My advocating of a larger surface was primarily for the purposes of reducing injuries and giving players more space and room to skate – hence opening up the game that way. Over the years, the game has begun to look a little ‘congested’ to me.

I don’t mind a low-scoring game and find they can be exciting to watch if the tempo and play is there. I don’t like the Lemaire/Martin, 1-3-1, or trap styles because they are damn boring.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

27. SmartDog says:

First!

But who gives a rats attic about some flashback BS? Lots to talk about besides that. I guess the Gazette isn’t up with the news.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!