Habs 1992-93 season flashback: Players’ meeting results in romp over Nordiques

coachweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 20-10-3  record into a game against the Nordiques on Dec. 17, 1992 at Quebec City’s Colisee. Below is Herb Zurkowsky’s story from that game:

Dr. Hextall, Mr. Hyde; Habs solve goalie in first-period firewagon race

CANADIENS 8
NORDIQUES 3

HERB ZURKOWSKY
THE GAZETTE

QUEBEC – The Canadiens should adjourn to the boardroom more often.

Following their second consecutive loss Wednesday at the Forum against Quebec, the Canadiens conducted a players-only meeting in the dressing room.

Proving that you can’t have enough of a good thing, coach Jacques Demers conducted his own 30-minute powwow prior to last night’s return game between the two teams.

The quality time spent together obviously worked.

Montreal exploded for six goals in the first period en route to an 8-3 victory over the Nordiques last night before 15,399 spectators at Le Colisee.

It was only the Canadiens’ third victory in their last eight games. The win also prevented Quebec, which was unbeaten in its last five games, from moving into a first-place tie with Montreal in the Adams Division.

“I wanted them to know what I expected of them,” Demers said. “I’m always asked if we have leaders, character players. The answer obviously is yes. We’ve had a rough time lately, but who hasn’t? Nobody panicked.

“I knew the team was ready,” he added. “They were quiet before the game. I didn’t expect them to score six in a period, but I asked them to go to the net.”

Kirk Muller, who paced the Canadiens with two goals, said the team was embarrassed by the Nordiques on Wednesday.

“That was the bottom line,” he said. “It was how we lost in our own rink. It was embarrassing.

“We had to get down to facts. We needed a better effort. We can’t play easy. But we did the simple things and scored eight. That should prove to be a lesson, a reminder.”

As good as Quebec goaltender Ron Hextall was the previous night, he was equally as bad last night, allowing six goals on 10 shots. He was replaced by Stephane Fiset to begin the second period.

The Canadiens scored on their first, fourth, fifth and sixth shots, taking a 4-0 lead. They added their final two goals of the period on their ninth and 10th shots. It was a sight to see.

Two of Montreal’s goals came on the power play with the team enjoying a two-man advantage both times. Conversely, the previous night the Canadiens failed to capitalize on seven manpower advantages.

In between the Canadiens’ offensive explosion, the Nordiques threatened to make a game of it, scoring three consecutive goals in a span of 2:29.

Demers said he considered taking a timeout but, feeling the players were still in control, decided to save it for later in the game, if necessary.

“They scored lucky goals. No one got down,” Mathieu Schneider said. “There were three or four minutes where they got lucky bounces. One came off the boards and a couple were off scrambles. No one panicked.

“But it was a crazy first period,” he added. “Everything happened so quickly.”

Vincent Damphousse, celebrating his 25th birthday, scored a goal and three assists. Damphousse now has 16 goals and 25 assists in 34 games, including 10 goals and 10 assists in his last 10 games.

“My legs feel good and I have lots of energy,” Damphousse said. “No one can score on an 80-goal pace but this is a good stretch for me.

“I’m not really doing anything different. I have more confidence and I’m trying to create something. I’m not hesitating to make the play.”

It was a night when most of the Canadiens chipped in offensively. Brian Bellows, Eric Desjardins, Brian Skrudland, Stephan Lebeau, with his team-leading 17th goal, and Jean-Jacques Daigneault also scored.

(Gazette file photo)

1. frontenac1 says:

Monday night Football, Jets vs Titans and the score is 10-7 at the end of the 3rd. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Just Brutal!

• Habilis says:

Good read, thanks for the link.

He’s 100% right about people caring less. I know just from friends and co-workers that the casual fans aren’t even paying attention anymore. All they have left is us “hardcore” fans, and I’d venture to say that most of us really don’t care how it all works out, as long as it works out.

Both sides are to blame at this point. They have both drawn lines in the sand for no other reason than the fact that they want to be perceived as the victors in all of this. If these petty little men are willing to go nuclear over the relatively small divide that remains, then they truly deserve to sit across the aisle from each other for years in court. Sit there, argue, and completely lose your relevance you unmitigated morons.

Both sides should be utterly embarassed that it has come this far. And when I say that, I include every single owner and every single player in the mix. They should all be ashamed.

Hey can we all boycott the next Fantasy Thread?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Why do we even accept Hickey’s fantasy scores as the real fantasy results?

Sean Bonjovi’s fantasy headline: “Habs down Sabres 16-0; Mike Blunden nets 15 adds assist to set NHL record! ”

Let’s work from there.

Wow!! I knew Blunden was awesome, but even I didn’t see this comming. All short-handed goals too! Wow!

Carey Price with a Gordie Howe Hat Trick as well.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Classic Benoit Brunet quote on l’Antichabre: ” lorsque tu realise une soirée comme celui ci, l’entraîneur se rappelé”

P.S I can believe it took all four officials to pull Price off that guy! Nathan Gerbe will never be the same #CraziestOpenningFaceoffInHistoryOfHockey

• Habilis says:

I’m in, those fantasy stories just remind me that we’re missing a hockey game tonight.

Instead I’m watching The Santa Clause on CBC. Stupid lockout.

• Chris says:

Excellent idea!

3. Habilis says:

Lockout rant of the day:

Both sides are really really stupid.

That is all.

4. Habilis says:

@ Mr. Biter (can’t reply to your last)

ISS has him ranked at 4 right now. Barring injury or a sudden drop in production, he’ll probably go top 5, yeah. For sure top 10.

Here’s a link to the ISS list:

5. Bripro says:

@Commandant
    Ben, if you recall, I was blogging about Jonathan Drouin being a “shoe-in for top-six forward” and you mentioned that it was not assured.

“Steve Spott didn’t feel like he had a choice. Jonathan Drouin was just too good, too skilled not to at least get a shot at winning a top-six forward job on Team Canada.” on CTV news tonight.

He has him paired off with Ryan Strome and Brett Ritchie on the second line.

I like this kid.

I mentioned to a couple others on this site, Can you imagine going through this lockout garbage without the excitement of Galchenyuk! A saving grace methinks.

• Fake says:

Are you sure you wouldn’t rather watch Forsberg avg 0.4 ppg in the SEL? (the 0.4 avg was an estimate idk what he’s doing down in sweden)

• Chris says:

Forsberg is actually doing quite well. He’s got 9 goals and 19 points in 22 games in the second division Swedish league, which has seen an influx of talent.

By comparison, Anze Kopitar has put up 9 goals and 27 points in 25 games in the same league while Patrick Berglund has 18 goals and 27 points in 25 games.

Given that Forsberg was one of the younger players in that draft (he is 6 months younger than Galchenyuk) and that the Swedish leagues typically see limited scoring, Forsberg is actually proving to be a very smart draft pick. Washington is getting two more elite level prospects when they can convince Kuznetsov and Forsberg to cross the Atlantic and join the NHL, if it ever gets going again.

7. HabFab says:

Another development in this SNAFU;

RenLavoieRDS – As reported on @hockey360, Players are not only voting on the disclaimer of interest this week, but to have a professional trade association. The Professional trade association will replace the NHLPA if the executive board wants to go with the disclaimer of interest.

• Mr. Biter says:

Listening to TSN Radio this afternoon and probably neither side actually wants it to go to court. Rewards could be great for either side but a loss a financial disaster. Ranges for players getting up to or more 3 times of their salaries for the lost season (and pain and suffering etc) but if they lose, highest salaries could be as low as $2M per season. Big stakes for both sides if they end up in court

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

Yup, we are getting close to a game of poker now. And nobody can even see their two hole cards.

• HabFab says:

If the owners don’t want to pay $1.8 bl, do you think they want to pay $5.5 bl? That is the reason they have asked for all contracts to be declared null and void if they can’t get anti-trust protection. If the court finally decides 2 years down the road to award that to the players then IMHO the owners walk away and the teams go under along with the NHL.

• Mr. Biter says:

It’s never gone that far but who knows. BTW NHL players average salary is more than the Average salary of NFL players. NBA highest average salary and MLB #2. Worst part NBA players F#@K the dog way more than NHL or NFL players and half the relief pitchers & D hitters have got a body like mine. Another BTW I did lose my bet about the Habs finishing above the Jets and if I can get the picture I will post it for 1 day. Hula skirts,Bruins size small jersey and coconut Bra. Looked like escapee from a Buffett concert. Not a pretty sight.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• HabFab says:

I would be all right if you passed on posting that picture…just saying :)

• Mr. Biter says:

I would be to. Not a pretty sight. Blinded 2 adults, but it was only temporary blindness.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Chris says:

Two points:

1) Do those NFL numbers include signing bonuses? The NHL numbers do, but the NFL salary structure is a complete mess.

2) Comparing the NFL and NHL salaries is a nightmare. The NFL average salary includes a bunch of people who never actually play. Take the starters out of the mix in both leagues and things are pretty much even. Take the grunts out of the mix and the NFL guys make significantly higher average salaries.

8. Haborama says:

It seems that Galchenyuk plays better at wing, in that case, we may need to draft another Center.

• Fake says:

Well, even if that is the case this upcoming draft… If we had one of the top 5 picks I think you’d be happy with Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan. :) But in reality. He’s versatile. That’s it. He’s been converted to a full time sniper for the time being because Beaulieu’s dad wants Sarault to play with Gally. And they’re both playmaking centers so…

• Haborama says:

do you think that Gally would have the same amount of points if he were a pivot???

idk the answer, just curious.

• Fake says:

I think it’s working out very well, I didn’t say it wasn’t. We’ll never know what it would’ve been like if say Goldobin (another sniper) was put on his wing and Sarault on the 2nd line. But this kid is not a one trick pony. And I tell you what Galchenyuk has been getting better and better. Is that because of his chemistry building with his linemates you ask? Well, don’t forget he was busy warming up the first half of his 33 games played.

• Haborama says:

the guy is clearly the best prospect we’ve had in decades, I hope that the Habs management uses him in a way that causes the most production. the Sarnia method of putting him sort of at wing seems to really be working, that’s all.

• commandant says:

I see him starting as a Wing and transitioning to Centre later.

Ala Seguin, Benn, Giroux, Stamkos, and many others.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• commandant says:

Here is the 5 point night

Look at the highlights and ask yourself if he’s at Center or Wing

He may line up at wing for faceoffs but look where he is and where Sarault is on the goals

Only 1/5 is him playing on the wing

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Haborama says:

looks pretty convincing, I just think that he move by Beauliau to wing on faceoffs seems to be paying divends for him……….

• Chris says:

Ben, I don’t buy this logic. If the argument is that Galchenyuk is playing in the middle of the ice and is therefore the center, I raise you Wayne Gretzky. Or Mario Lemieux. Or Steve Yzerman. Many elite offensive centers do much of their work from the boards or behind the net.

The key to figuring out where these guys play is where they line up in the DEFENSIVE zone, not the offensive zone. And in the defensive zone, Galchenyuk plays the wing most of the time.

In the offensive zone, things are more dynamic and fluid. Plekanec likes to play off to the side, as did Saku Koivu. Joe Thornton and Ryan Getzlaf like to spend a lot of time around the net, taking advantage of their size and strength to make plays. Datsyuk likes to carry the puck (which is often Sarault’s job in Sarnia), whereas Sundin would often bear down the wings to use his ability to cut to the middle in traffic to generate offence. Malkin plays all over the place, while Crosby was primarily off to the sides and out to the half-boards when he was a playmaker, but he has evolved his game to drive the net more as he has decided to become a dominant goal-scorer. Stamkos is a centre that loves to camp over at the face-off dots, leaving the playmaking duties to Martin St. Louis.

This is why I don’t actually care where the kid plays. The key point here is that we have found a kid who can score goals and pass the puck equally well. Whether they are from the wing or center is largely irrelevant. Goals are goals.

The problem with Koivu wasn’t that he was small, it was that he was not a natural scorer. It wasn’t in his physical or mental make-up. Because of this, he needed to be with guys who could convert his passes, and unfortunately he saw far too little support in that regard throughout his career.

The beauty with Galchenyuk is that he has the vision, talent and size/strength to do whatever he wants.

• commandant says:

There are of course many different styles a centre can play. And what you say is certainly true. But when you watch Galchenyuk play in the offensive zone, he isn’t playing a traditional “wing” position. He is given a ton of offensive freedom and is allowed to roam all over the ice. In fact we often see Charles Sarault lined up at the faceoff circle in the traditional wing position.

All of this is to say I don’t think Galchenyuk’s future usefulness as a Centre is being hampered by how he is being used this season. In many ways, he is the pivot guy on his line. He is playing the key role in the middle for his line, and is both a goal scorer and a playmaker from that position.

I think all of this has to be kept in mind, when we say he is a winger. He’s still very much a key cog who should still be our centre of the future.

As far as his defensive responsibilities go. I wouldn’t worry about those either, as he has shown to be very effective playing Centre on the Sting Penalty Kill.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

9. Fake says:

Thought I’d post my thoughts on this because people were discussing it on the last thread.

Everyone, remember it’s Craig Button… So yeah I don’t really need to say more but, I will, he ranked Seth Jones ahead of MacKinnon. Ridiculous. I’m sure Jones will be a great D-Man for years to come blah blah blah. As we’ve seen in previous drafts, it’s not usually the top picked dman to be the best dman to come out of the first round of that draft. So it’s funny to look over but it would’ve been nice to see someone else do it. ie Bob McKenzie or Pierre McGuire.

• Chris says:

To be honest, I’m not as sold on MacKinnon as a lot of others are. He’s going to be great, but Seth Jones is an impressive guy. Compare his numbers to Morgan Rielly, who Button has way up the chart:

Morgan Rielly (6’0″, 205 pounds): 33 GP, 7 G, 28 PTS, +1, 5 PIM

Seth Jones (6’4″, 206 pounds): 31 GP, 8 G, 28 PTS, +27, 28 PIM

Jones benefits tremendously from playing with the powerhouse Portland Winter Hawks, who are a very high scoring team. Derrick Pouliot, drafted 8th overall by Pittsburgh last season, is also tearing it up for Portland (34 GP, 8 G, 36 PTS).

The big thing with Jones is he is a big defenceman that can skate and has offence. He’s got it all.

MacKinnon is a dynamic player, but at 5’11” and 180 pounds, he’ll have to prove that he can fight through stronger and faster NHL players to create offence.

• Fake says:

Well, I’ll put it this way, if I was Columbus’ GM and I have the #1 pick going into the draft lottery (finished last) I wouldn’t mind slipping down to 2 or 3 at all due to the depth of this draft. His size isn’t really an issue though… 5’11 isn’t bad. Crosby is also 5’11 and don’t forget Nathan is still growing. And he seems to be filled good out for a 17 year old but not too much which is good. Drouin on the other hand is small. He’s the one with the size issue. He’s listed at 5’11 but as stated by other posters on here he is clearly 2 or so inches shorter than MacKinnon.

• Chris says:

Comparing anybody to Crosby is tough because Crosby’s lower body strength is off the charts. The only guy with a base as strong as Crosby’s in recent memory was Pavel Bure.

I’ve heard a few OHL people say that Max Domi has that same powerful lower body as Crosby and might be the closest they’ve seen to Crosby in terms of his ability to work down low.

The difference is the talent level. As a young 16 year old, Crosby put up 54 goals and 135 points in 59 games in the QMJHL. At 17, he posted an absolutely stupid 66 goals and 168 points in 62 games. MacKinnon’s numbers as a young 16 year old (31 goals and 78 points in 58 games) were good, but nowhere close to Crosby’s league.

Crosby was also a bit small, but his lower body power and transcendent skill made him a superstar. MacKinnon just isn’t even close to that league, and this is why I have some doubts about him. I don’t think he is quite the slam dunk prospect that he is made out to be. He should be very good, but I think he is a much weaker #1 overall prospect than the ones we’ve seen in recent years.

10. commandant says:

Unnoticed by many this weekend, Dany Kristo had 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points in 2 games.

21 points in 16 games on the season.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

11. HabFab says:

Article out of LA in regards to Fehr. I’m not sure if there is not some tongue in cheek, but the last paragraph still hurts me;

• jols101 says:

Awesome Links. Anyone else think that spectacular 5 point game before the break might be his last game as a Sting and in the OHL in general.

Sure all this lawyer talk in the CBA negotiations sounds terrible right now but it is the last desperate act by both sides before the drop dead date. Many have pegged the drop dead to be the end of the first week in January with games starting by mid January in order to get in the minimum 48 games. If this is indeed true it would work out perfect for Gally. Play and hopefully play well in the WJC and then book a flight to Montreal for the start of camp. Once at camp I doubt he will see the inside of a Junior rink again – unless he goes to watch as a fan…

• frontenac1 says:

Gally was showing of for Dougie Gilmour because wants to play in Kingston

• Chris says:

NOBODY wants to play in Kingston! :)

That franchise, sadly, has been a bit of a laughing stock for years. I find it amazing that a city with such a great hockey tradition could feature such a mismanaged team year after year. They never seem to get their act together, even when they have great talent.

No, Galchenyuk clearly wants to play in Guelph. ;)

Honestly, he’s not going anywhere. Sarnia has got a legitimate shot at adding a couple of strong players and making a run. They should win their division and thereby prolong for quite a while their chances of running into London. I can easily see it being a London-Sarnia final in the West if they can add a player like Koekkoek or Ceci and perhaps another scorer.

• commandant says:

Trading Hottot last week means that they also have room to take on another overage player, which could boost that defence or second line.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• frontenac1 says:

@Chris. Laughing Stock? Its not even funny down here anymore amigo!

• Chris says:

front: I agree. I grew up a Kingston Canadiens fan, but I’ve subsequently shifted my allegiances to Guelph where I’ve lived for the past 17 years. Belleville is my Eastern Conference team now because I see them so often with my brother.

It has always driven me nuts that Kingston has been so bad for so long. A few years back, Craig Rivet was named to their All-Time team. No offence to Rivet, who was a solid contributor, but if he makes your All-Time franchise team, your franchise has sucked eggs for far too long. ;)

• frontenac1 says:

I hear ya Chris. The highlight of my season is the Feb 3 game when Gally is in town with the Sting. I think Jan Bulis made that team also. Sad.

• Bripro says:

Thanks for that Frank.
      Very encouraging.

12. Kfourn says:

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien