Habs 1992-93 season flashback: New Year’s Eve loss in Calgary

jockweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 23-13-3  record into a game against the Flames on Dec. 31, 1992 in Calgary. Below is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Skrudland in the doghouse; Demers steams as penalty lets Flames rally

FLAMES 5
CANADIENS 3

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

LOS ANGELES – Jacques Demers galloped into the new year out of patience, and in the mood to make at least one of his veterans pay the price for it.

The object of his disaffection is Brian Skrudland – largely because of two penalties Skrudland has taken – in Sunday’s 5-2 loss in Vancouver and Thursday’s 5-3 loss to the Calgary Flames. Both penalties led to goals which even Skrudland is prepared to call a turning point in the games.

The price Skrudland will pay is to sit out tonight’s game against the slumping Los Angeles Kings.

“I’ve been one of his biggest boosters,” said Demers yesterday, “because I know what he means to this hockey team. But I’ve run out of patience. I realize he’s frustrated, but he can’t take penalties like that.”

The Canadiens were trailing the Canucks only 2-1 in Sunday’s third period when Skrudland was caught interfering with Vancouver goaltender Kirk McLean. Thirty-eight seconds later, Pavel Bure lashed an angled shot beyond Patrick Roy, and while Kevin Haller scored in the 12th minute to lift the Canadiens within one, two empty-net goals left them dead in the water.

In the Vancouver game, the Canadiens had fallen behind 2-0 and almost made it back. On Thursday, however, they took a 2-0 lead into the second period (goals by J.J. Daigneault and Gilbert Dionne) when The Skrudland Factor arose.

The Canadiens, Skrudland among them, had just finished killing off a minor penalty to Kirk Muller without allowing a shot at goalie Roy, when Skrudland cross-checked Calgary forward Joel Otto. Referee Don Koharski, standing only a few feet away, didn’t hesitate to signal another minor to the Canadiens.

Twenty-one seconds later, defenceman Gary Suter teed up the puck at the blue line, and beat Roy cleanly. A little more than three minutes later, C.J. Young tied the game only seconds after the Flames had killed off a penalty to Gary Roberts.

“I thought we had really dominated in the first period,” said Demers. “We worked hard and it paid off with two goals. We also worked hard killing off the penalty early in the second period. They didn’t get a shot while we were shorthanded, and then Skrudland opens it up for them with that penalty.”

“It wasn’t a good penalty,” agreed Skrudland, “and I heard about it between periods. But I feel the next thing we’ve got to do is stick together and try to get the goal back.”

As it developed, the Canadiens didn’t do the job. Instead, Michel Petit, Joe Nieuwendyk and Young put away the game with goals in the third period before Brian Bellows slipped a power-play goal beyond Mike Vernon.

Goaltender Roy also had his problems against the soaring Flames – even though he faced only 28 shots. Young’s second goal of the game – the only two he’s scored this season – was from the circle and through Roy’s legs. Worse, the Canadiens goalie was uncertain on at least a couple of other earlier goals.

Is it any wonder, then, that Demers is giving serious thought to relinquishing his Mr. Nice Guy tiara?

Trouble is, who’s available?

Since Skrudland is out, who’s in?

Does Mario Roberge charge to the rescue? Does defenceman Daigneault move up the line to left wing again, leaving a spot open for defencemen Sean Hill or Haller, who didn’t dress against the Flames.

Demers obviously doesn’t have too many options – particularly against a Los Angeles team which has been going through a terrible time in recent weeks. The Kings were riding high in the saddle until they lost a 5-2 lead to the Canadiens in Phoenix on Dec. 8 with less than 10 minutes remaining in regulation time. The teams finished the game locked up 5-5.

Since then, the Kings have been left embarrassed with a 1-7-1 record. They’ve been out-scored, 44-26. In their last two games, they’ve been out-scored 14-2.

“Do you think they might be fired up for us?” asked Demers.

Yep.

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

1. Sean Bonjovi says:

“Attach Brian Campbell’s legs to Andrei Markov’s body and you’ve got a really smart hockey player withe four legs. Remove Markov’s original legs and you’ve got Nathan Beaulieu” -Sean Bonjovi

2. Are you prepared to pursuit the United states dream? The prospective to begin and develop little companies have improved significantly. Everyone goals of one day getting those short lived ideas and creating them a truth by beginning their own company. Let us help you with that trip. We at Imperial investments & Investments Firm Inc. endeavor to be the best at all the solutions we provide to help your company develop.

3. habstrinifan says:

WELL Ready or NOT… it’s 2013 Boys and Girls! May you live well and prosper!

4. Cal says:

Happy New Year to all you folks in the HIO community.
    This parody is my favourite of 2012.

5. JF says:

Happy New Year everyone!

The kid I hope we draft in June is Jonathan Drouin. He has great wheels, a non-stop motor, and elite hockey intelligence. Imagine having a Quebec-born star in the lineup…. It’s been decades.

• Habfan10912 says:

Happy 2013 to you and yours as well JF. We’d need to get into the lottery to have any chance at this kid. He’s a good one no doubt. Gally, Max and Drouin, Oh my!

———————————–

• Cal says:

Love to see him in a Habs jersey, too. Unfortunately, every scout must be drooling to get him.

6. wjc says:

Fearless predictions:

Lock out will end soon.

Gomez will make a comeback

Galchenuk will go back to Sarnia

Canadiens will make the playoffs

Hockey will be back, but moaning and groaning and nit picking and conspiracy theories will remain……chow

wjc

7. The Jackal says:

Happy new year HIO! Stay classy, and go Habs go!
    Harditya – thanks for the wishes but lets pass on the sorrow! Cheers!

• Harditya says:

Hey if sorrow means Habs tanking again and drafting Mackinnon then I am all in for it ;)
      Cheers!

• wjc says:

Could someone define “tanking” for me.

Does it mean losing on purpose or does it mean losing because you are not very good.

Seems that tanking is a planned thing. So do you plan to be just plain bad, injuries etc. or do you actually plan to lose on purpose?

So if teams are tanking, they are being told to lose by coaching staff. Would this sit well with the paying customers.

Not sure some on here have thought this through, when you say let the “tank” begin. Let the deliberate losing begin or put the weakest team you can on the ice and lose anyways.

Honestly confused.

wjc

• ont fan says:

Tanking is a term that is used to irritate those who have unrealistic hopes for a competitive playoff team. It has nothing to do with deliberate losing but minor injuries and the flu throughout the team are seen as a good thing.

• wjc says:

Ont fan:

So “tanking” is hoping and praying your team loses by whatever means. Okay, I think I understand, thank you.

wjc

8. Harditya says:

Habby New Year everyone!
    May this year give you guys tons of reasons to smile!
    May it give a bit of sorrow to make you stronger.
    Love, laugh and most importantly eat :)

9. Bripro says:

Welcome to 2013…. *hic*
    Happy New Year to everybody….friend and foe!
    Now back to ….. what was I doing?… *hic*
    Oh yeah, Guinness. :)

10. otter649 says:

Habby New Year 2013……

11. Peter Young says:

Best wishes for the New Year to all. May 2013 bring all of you happiness and all you wish for.

Spend today watching You Tube clips of the Canadiens of the dynasty eras plus the Candadiens Centennial clips. I’ve been fortunate enough to see all the Canadiens’ greats since 1953 and so the clips brought back many memories, some of them quite emotional.

It’s so saddening that we have no NHL hockey as the New Year begins. My favorite sport is association football, and so, as a native of Greater Manchester in England, I still have the Manchester United and England national football teams to follow. In fact, United play tomorrow. But although football is my favorite sport, I love the Montreal Canadiens more than any other sports team. And I love Maurice Richard and the rest of the Canadiens who played on those dynasty teams more than any other athletes. So I dearly want my Canadiens hockey back. I’m in my 70th year and hoping to see the Canadiens bring the Cup back home again in my lifetime.

12. Mike D says:

Happy and safe New Years to all at HIO! :-)

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

13. savethepuck says:

Happy New Year to all.
    Have to say I’m a bit surprised poll results are still 2/3 saying no NHL hockey this year. I’m thinking that must be a sign of the frustration from fans due to the BS we’ve been put thru up until now. I know I’ve probably been the constant optimist thus far, but I can’t see there being no season. The PA presented a counter today and the NHL looked it over ,instead of dismissing it in 5 or 10 minute, and Bettman said we need the night to look it over and we will respond in the morning. Completely different than his usual ” we are disappointed, that was our best offer, that offer will be taken off the table, and we see no point in further discussions until they want to negotiate on our last offer.”
    I think 1 of 2 things has happened, either;
    A) the NHL’s plan All along has been to push the PA to cave, to get the best deal possible until it came to a point that the season was in jeopardy
    or;
    B) a group of owners have gotten together and told Bettman, no more posturing BS, get us the best deal possible in the next week or 2. Get it in a room and negotiate with a little give and take.

Whichever one it is, I’d be surprised if a deal isn’t made ( as long as Fehr doesn’t take this as a cue to push too far of course ).

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• wjc says:

Savethepuck: Proposal this time was more then 1 or 2 pages long, so you could not read it in 5 minutes. Proposals are now serious and there are many more pages to comprehend.

The “NHL” plan all along has been to make a deal that they could live with over many years. To say Bettman is posturing and Fehr is playing it absolutely straight is not how I see it.

The owners have simply said get a deal that works in the long run. There is now a drop dead date of January 11 and both sides will take the time to study all aspects, but, a deal will be made.

It is Fehr’s job to push and push and push some more, at some point you could try for too much. It is Bettman’s job to get a deal that the owners can live with and prosper with over 8-10 years or so. A three month strike/lockout might seem like an eternity for some, it is well worth it for both sides to do a deal they can both feel comfortable with.

For the players it cost some money, but, they have plenty and they had a war chest for such an eventuality. The owners simply had to correct a CBA that did not work for them.

As far as winning a Stanley cup goes, winning more then one will be very hard indeed. Once your draft choices have matured, you will not be able to afford them under the cap, so changes will have to be made, with an eye to being under the cap.

Dynasties should never happen again, they will be too equal in talent to dominate.

wjc

14. Kimberly2u says:

Happy New Year everyone and all the best in 2013.

15. Psycho29 says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE AT HI/O !!!!!

And to the tag team of Gary “The Hobbit” Bettman and Donald “Have No” Fehr :
    May you be forced to spend the time until the expiry of the next CBA reading all of Jack Todd’s columns since 1986.

16. JohnBellyful says:

Happy New Year
    [Click at the stroke of midnight. Couldn't wait to post at that time, I'll be asleep by then]

17. Mavid says:

Happy New Year’s everyone…

18. The Dude says:

Isn’t it special that the Habs are in a first place tie with the Islanders and Maple Leafs at the end of 2012…Happy Happy .

19. Mr. Biter says:

Happy New Year to all and to all a fun good night.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

20. Ron says:

BullDogs lose another one to shutout, 2-0 to Rochester.

• Mark C says:

Tough league to win in when you count on so many 20 years olds without much veteran support. This year isn’t about wins and losses, it’s about each young player leaving the Bulldogs’ for summer training a better player than they are today.

• Ron says:

Right you are Mark, this all a learning curve for the rookies. Playing alot of much older experienced NHL players that are in the AHL at present makes their showing all that much better. Most of their loses this year have come on 1 goal difference games which shows they are competing well. Although playing againist the Marlies and a few others etc with the many NHL experienced players as well as veteran AHL’ers they have they get over run abit. We’ll see much improvement by years end.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Signing off for 2012

Timo

22. Habilis says:

“@ashleymarah: Galchenyuk is 2nd in scoring, only 18 year old among top 10 scorers EXCEPT for one other named Collberg #habs”

Timmins rocks the casbaugh.

23. Ron says:

BullDogs down 2-0 at end of 2nd period against Rochester. Even on shots at 22.

EDIT: Gotta love Hickey : 2 tickets for $20:13, 24 oz can beer $7.25

24. habs001 says:

It may be large ice and different type of hockey but Diaz looks just as brutal in the d zone as he did last year with the Habs…

25. habsfan0 says:

Ex-Expo Tim Raines hired by the Blue Jays.

26. Habilis says:

“John Shannon‏@JSportsnet
    Can also confirm that PA has not requested any changes to HRR. ”

-Giant sigh of relief-

I think we’re finally nearing the end of this long dark tunnel folks. We’re actually at a point where both sides seem to want a deal. Who’d have thunk it?

40 years ago today, the sporting world lost a class act in Roberto Clemente. Here is a link to a great article from the past written by Myron Cope.

I don’t know Ben, given that Russia is hosting upcoming Winter Olympics I suspect it was imperative that at the very least home games be “Sold Out”. If the Rogers Corp. can paper the Skydome to make it appear people give a rats ass about Buffalo Bills Football, I dont doubt papering the arenas in UFA could also be occurring. Given how KHL games are not well attended, I am not 100% convinced all tickets are bought and paid for by fans.

I hope they are, but given this is Russia I doubt we ever know for certain.

Also when I watched Russia’s first game it was reported almost 2,000 empty seats. Given an arena under 10,000 that is quite significant.

• commandant says:

I don’t think its as good as it is here, not yet.

But the fact is that building was full and very loud today, and it definitely came across in the broadcast.

That was an excited and enthusiastic crowd. Not the quiet crowd we see at a papered skydome. The enthusiasm and excitement of being there could be felt, and to me that signals a tournament that is starting to “matter” to places other than Canada.

Lets remember this tournament went 15 years before it mattered to Canadians too… I think with the increased coverage its getting now, through both social media and regular media in Europe; that the continent is starting to pay attention.

Now the US (and I am writing this from the US), only hardcore hockey fans down here have any idea that its even being played.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes Ben you are so correct in your summation on the tourney’s impact on the US is right on. Not even a blip on the ESPN ticker or a note or scores in the newspaper.
          Talk about a missed opportunity to grow the game……
          ———————————–

I don’t dispute the crowd today, and I am glad they are embracing it. I guess the headline of “The World has Noticed the World Juniors” just seemed a bit extreme to me. I was expecting to read how nations like America were sending extra media there to cover.

Russia has always loved watching their hockey, problem is lack of money to afford watching it.

• otter649 says:

The arenas in UFA hold about 6,000 spectators other than The Russian matches which appear to be sold out on TV most games have empty seats. A so-called luxury box at UFA was rented by some Canadians for one of their games at a cost of $8000 CDN & the one next to it was empty. Saw a picture on twitter……

28. Habfan10912 says:

Agree Riga. Its some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen.

———————————–

29. otter649 says:

At one time Felix Potvin was known for signing his autograph with a X when he was a member of The Leafs……

30. Psycho29 says:

Nowadays some players pretend to be on their cell phones when walking through a crowd….

I remember being 11 or 12 at Dorval airport to meet my sister who was coming back from California, and it just so happened that the Expos were coming back from a road trip. I ran into the parking lot to find my hero Rusty Staub, who was so nice signing his autograph. I was so excited I didn’t even notice the teammate he was with….
    Those are things fans never forget…..

31. Mr. Biter says:

Was in Hawaii for vacation and the boys got autographs and pictures with Andrew O’Louhhlin, Scott Cann and Grace Kim from 5 O who were very accomadating with their time while shooting an episode by our hotel.

Mr. Biter