Habs 1992-93 season flashback: Kings salvage a tie at home

Gretz_002web

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 23-14-3  record into a game against the Kings on Jan. 2, 1993 in Los Angeles. Below is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Habs let one get away

CANADIENS 5
KINGS 5

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

LOS ANGELES – The Canadiens are one point out of the Adams Division’s summit – but have paid at least a small price to get there.

Their 5-5 struggle with a largely sad-looking Los Angeles Kings team last night is what lifted the Canadiens to within a point of the Quebec Nordiques, who fell to the Detroit Red Wings, 6-2. The price: a sore back for Denis Savard.

Savard had gone into the game with a goal and three assists in the Canadiens’ first three road games. He came out after the first period with what the medical staff is calling a bruised lower back. There was swelling in the area, as well.

He’ll need another examination today to determine whether or not he can show up for tomorrow’s game against the San Jose Sharks in Sacramento. Or, for that matter, in San Francisco against the Sharks on Tuesday.

If he can’t make it, Brian Skrudland – who wasn’t dressed last night – is eager to move back into the lineup.

Skrudland was replaced in the lineup by Mario Roberge, who scored the Canadiens’ second goal only 18 seconds after Kirk Muller had opened the scoring fewer than three minutes into the game.

Mike Donnelly scored the Los Angeles goal – late in the first period. That, though, was only the start of what eventually developed into a wild, error-filled game which the Canadiens led 2- 0, trailed 4-2, led 5-4 – and then gave up the tying goal in the final minute of regulation time.

Defenceman Rob Blake produced the tying goal, after scoring the Kings’ second goal, as well. Dave Taylor’s goal only 22 seconds after Blake’s, lifted the Kings into a 3-2 lead, and Darryl Sydor scored another in the third before the Canadiens gathered their legs beneath them for goals from John LeClair, Muller and Vincent Damphousse.

This one had a familiar ring to it … again.

It goes like this:

The Canadiens leap out of the starting blocks, score twice, miss several excellent opportunities to pad their lead – and then, pht-t- t!

Does this sound familiar as well?

Their two first-period goals were an outgrowth of seven shots – and they could have had four. They had the Kings in a position where they could have been reeled in early in the game – and fell short, coming out of the period with only a 2-1 lead.

The reason they could – and should – have had more was that Muller, who had deflected Mathieu Schneider’s shot for the Canadiens’ first goal fewer than three minutes into the game, also missed an open net a few minutes later. Earlier, Roberge’s goal had lifted the Canadiens into a 2-0 lead, the team was flying, the Kings weren’t – and well … there’s Damphousse banking a short shot off the post and Hrudey taking away a long shot from Eric Desjardins during a power play.

Were the Canadiens that good or the Kings that bad?

The Canadiens were better than they have been in recent games in the first period, horrid in the second and decent in the third.

The Kings were fortunate to get out of the first period trailing by only a goal, turned it up in the second when Patrick Roy turned it down – and hung on grimly to send the game into overtime after losing a 4-2 lead.

In other words, this wasn’t blockbuster entertainment – starting from the moment Benoit Brunet was tossed out of the game with a major for an accidental high-sticking. It was while he was out that Donnelly opened the scoring.

Put it this way: this one will have the coaches wide-awake listing blunders – on both sides. The goaltending was completely ordinary, but a reason for it could be that nearly everything taking place in front of both goaltenders was a case of blunder upon blunder.

NOTES – Others who didn’t make it to the lineup were defencemen Kevin Haller and Sean Hill.

(Photo by Denis Brodeur/NHLI via Getty Images)

1. Habilis says:

This is too funny, had to share. For those of you not on twitter, Jay Onrait got Pierre Lebrun to snap a candid photo of Darren Dreger on the streets of NYC. Within 30 minutes, people had photo-shopped the shot into countless other pictures. This one was the best, imo: http://twitter.yfrog.com/nug6pdp

2. RobertAlanFord says:

For the heck of it I was looking into next year’s draft eligibles. Has anyone noticed this Federeick Gauthier kid playing his rookie year in Rimouski? 17 years old, 37 points in 33 games, centre, 6’05, 210 lbs! I want one. Slated to go somewhere around 30th overall but the Habs have 3 picks in the second round, could move up with change left over.

@RAFord77

• 24 Cups says:

I did! I mentioned him a few times but none of the posters in Quebec commented on this kid. If Montreal drafts near the bottom of the 1st round, this guy could be our pick. Or as you suggest, deal a package including a 2nd rounder plus other assets to move up into the 1st round. Or if the team falters, deal off someone at the trade deadline to get a late 1st rounder.

Of course, rumours have it that most teams are making the playoffs so…..

Hell, they may have to move the draft into August once the Cup is finally won.

3. Ron says:

The Bulldogs are down 5-0 to the Marlies at the end of 2nd period.

EDIT: 6-0 final. I think this is the 3rd game in a row being shut out.

EDIT: Ya this is the 3rd game in a row being shut out. Not good at all.

4. Bripro says:

One good thing about this lock out from a personal standpoint.
    I’ve taken up bowling.
    My last game, I bowled 167.
    My 3 year old grandson just bowled 191.
    This Wii game is a lot of fun.
    Especially when you get your butt served on a platter by a smart-mouth little runt.

5. Psycho29 says:

There seems to be confusion about the time of tomorrow’s game, I thought I heard on TSN-690 this morning that puck drop is 4AM..

I just checked TSNs website and pre-game is 3:30; the game is 4AM and the post-game show is 6:30…

Seems to be an earlier start than previous games…

• Habilis says:

Puck drop is indeed at 4am EST. The 3:30am time is for the TSN pre-game show. This game starts a bit earlier because it’s a semi-final, they want to be sure that people can watch both games.

6. jols101 says:

Just clarification for tomorrow morning. The TSN pre game is at 3:30 am and puck drop is shortly after 4 am. It is not the same as previous games where puck drop was shortly after 4:30. Don’t want anyone to miss the 1st period. Go Canada Go. I’m nervous though, looks like team USA is gelling at the perfect time. Will be a great one.

Bulldogs vs Marlies right now. Not televised. Brutal. Can’t even find a Live Stream…

7. aj says:

If another counter proposal by the NHL to the NHLPA will happen the same time the Canada vs U.S. game plays tomorrow at 4:30 am, I’ll totally LMFAO!!

8. frontenac1 says:

Not hockey related but when I was a young lad,the first wallet I got had a picture of Patti Page in it. She passed away today so ,Rest in Peace Patti,”How much is that doggie in the window?”

I am PVRing it. It will be 2 am here when the game starts. I think I’ll get up around 5 or so to watch it before kid gets up and I am forced to watch Toopy and Binou instead.

Should be a tough game.

• Chuck says:

Toopie and Binoo are fare more entertaining that a lot of the hockey that we had to endure last season. :)

___________________________________________________

10. commandant says:

Lots of coffee folks.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

11. NoTinFoilCups says:

This stuff rivals the Olympics for exciting edge of your seat hockey. It’s gonna be so lame watching the NHL again. If it wasn’t for our fresh talent on the way up I don’t think I’d bother.

12. BJ says:

That’s right Ian 4:00 am Montreal time. But 10:00 am for us here in Germany. It’s nice for us as we normally have 1:30 am starts when it comes from your side of the pond.

13. kempie says:

I once believed that this season was lost. Now I’m sure it will begin soon. I know this because I have tickets to see Belleville vs. Sarnia on Feb.2. So yeah, it’s pretty much a lock.

Haha, I remember when you posted that before, when you thought it may happen. You are to blame for this negotiation picking up speed! Sell your tix now, and Fehr and Bettman will have a complete hissy fit and start yelling to the media how bad the other side is again. :)

• kempie says:

Yeah, I was joking when I mentioned it before. So we’re really getting up at 4 am for this thing? It was already looking like a long long day for me tomorrow. Fun game this morning though.

I figure in light of all the time I have saved not having had NHL hockey till now, getting up early tomorrow will be worth it. I can’t watch games when I know the result with anywhere near the same passion.

I am worried about the game tomorrow though. US will play well.

• frontenac1 says:

Got my Sting vs Frontenacs tickets for Feb 3,Super Bowl Sunday. Yee Ha!

Great hockey game tomorrow morning. I presume we play the early game at 4am, is that correct???

15. Chris says:

I don’t believe that 5% of Canadians were awake at 4:30 a.m. to watch junior hockey games. I could buy that 5% of Canadians have actually watched the games, but not at that time.

I know a lot of hockey fans, and most have simply PVR’ed the games or watch the replays the following day. I don’t know any friends who are actually waking up early, and most of my crowd are hockey mad (we’ve all purchased the package from TSN to watch the games).

16. Marc10 says:

Indeed.

The lockout helps, as we’re hockey starved, but those numbers are pretty amazing considering the time difference.

I’ll be curious to see if Junior hockey grows its following massively as a result of the past 6 months… as it is immune to shutdowns and lockouts.

17. Habfan10912 says:

Great point. Probably going to see a lot of groin issues when the games resume though. Good news for heads. Bad news for groins. :)

———————————–