Habs 1992-93 season flashback: Damphousse shines in tie with Kings

damphousseweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took an 18-8-3  record into a game against the Los Angeles Kings on Dec. 9, 1992 in Phoenix. Below is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Damphousse is toast of Habs after his hat trick

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

CANADIENS 5
KINGS 5

PHOENIX – Vincent Damphousse awoke to a sun-washed day saying all of the right things, such as:

“It’s great to skate like that and find my touch around the goal. That’s why they traded for me.”

Or: “I had two cracks at getting the winner in overtime. The wraparound. If I had scored, that would have been nice for the guys.”

And: “It’s much better than the four I scored in the All-Star Game, but all-star games … you know what they’re like. Wide-open.”

“What about the four you scored with Edmonton last year?”

“I did? Yeah, I guess I did, but it was one of those 10-something games. Not like this.”

What Damphousse did in 7:02 in the last half of Tuesday’s 5-5 classic with the Los Angeles Kings is not like anything any Canadiens player has done in recent memory.

“It made things good for everybody on the team,” said Denis Savard. “He was so excited over what he did, he made everybody on this team feel good.”

“He’s worked so hard from the start of the season – something had to start going in,” said Mathieu Schneider.

The Damphousse name (he had 10 of the Canadiens’ 28 shots) was on everybody’s lips yesterday – not only because of the number of goals and when they were scored. It was because of the way they were scored which dazzled his colleagues.

They weren’t merely important and/or good goals. They were great ones – starting in the 13th minute of the last period.

Up until Mount Vincent’s eruption, Schneider and Mike Keane had provided the Canadiens with a 2-0 lead in the first period. Then, the Kings roared back with goals from Luc Robitaille, Mike Donnelly and Jari Kurri in the second period. So when Paul Coffey and Robitaille provided the Kings with a three-goal margin in the first seven minutes of the third, time to roll over, right? Gone.

12:20 – Damphousse is in alone on Kelly Hrudey, waits the required amount of time until the Los Angeles goaltender starts going down. Damphousse goes high.

17:06 – The line is maintaining pressure, and there’s Damphousse in front of Hrudey. He beats the goaltender even while he’s falling to the ice.

19:29 – Patrick Roy had been replaced by a sixth attacker 31 seconds earlier. Now, Damphousse is in the slot area, and one-times a shot into the open side.

“He was a seven-minute, one-man show,” said a beaming coach Jacques Demers. “Only (Wayne) Gretzky and (Mario) Lemieux can put on a show like that.”

“Worried? Me worried?” Keane asked yesterday.

“Not with this team,” insisted Keane, who is Damphousse’s linemate.

“All you do is give him the puck, and he does the rest,” added Lebeau.

“Some games you worry, others you don’t,” said Keane. “I wasn’t worried.”

The Canadiens had been held to three shots in the second period and only two in the first half of the third – and Keane wasn’t worried? Sure, he wasn’t.

One win, two losses and a tie – which is what the Canadiens are bringing home with them today, don’t represent major-league accomplishment for a team with ideas of finishing first in its division. Damphousse, however, made it work with what surely was the biggest point the Canadiens have salvaged in several seasons.

“Something like that … it turns around a whole season for a team,” beamed Demers.

“I keep thinking about the wraparound in overtime,” said Damphousse. “I had only one hand on my stick. I couldn’t get the shot up, but they tell me that somebody had a good chance with the rebound.”

The rebound on Damphousse’s second crack at Hrudey went to Eric Desjardins, who had swept deep into the Los Angeles zone. His shot was heading for an open side, but… .

“The puck hit my pad,” said Lebeau. “I just happened to be there and the puck hit me.”

This one was, in every way, an example of a team rising out of the ashes to the mountaintop.

“I wasn’t feeling good about any part of this game, except for our guys taking a first-period lead,” said Demers. “Damphousse saved us, but what I also learned is that Lebeau (four assists) has an unbelievable amount of character. I made sure to tell him that after the game.

“I mean, he was in a game against a very good, very physical team. He didn’t take one step backward. That tells me a lot about him.”

The Canadiens left Phoenix this morning for an all-day flight home. Tomorrow, however, is another working day awaiting Saturday’s visit of the Boston Bruins. They’re in New York against the Rangers on Sunday.

(Photo by Richard Arless Jr./The Gazette)

1. Haborama says:

Re TrinFan: I toatlly agree with you on Keane, Riser, Bouchard, Tremblay, and Nilan.

Especially Bouchard, what a badass he was, shame what happened to him. the big club could really use a player like him these days, I was hoping it would be Thrower one day but ces’t levis……………

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

I find it kind of fascinating that so many are still willing to take sides in this circus. There are no good guys in this process. Fans are getting screwed and will get screwed even more if they, lemming-like, go back to supporting these ridiculous jerks.

Good morning.
    Great day here in Belleville’s micro climate area. Grey, raining and 10 degree C.
    Looks like another running shoe winter.

4. Haborama says:

Kyle Beach: the guy was at one point a top prospect for the Blackhawks, but he has really fallen off the chart lately, at this stage he is basically an AHL player, period. He is obviously unhappy in Rockford, the Hawks have no hope at all for him, his value is low, so why not trade for him?????

It would be an AHL trade, so it would require few assets in return, especially given his reduced value. He is a big boy (6,3 215ish) and plays very very physical, agitates, intimidates, and is not afraid to protect teammates, he also has decent offensive ability. In short, he is just the type of player to give the Bulldogs a boost. I’m not big on reclamation projects, but with the right coaching, who knows what will happen???
    and if he doesn’t turn out, then we just cut him loose (easy and cheap to do with an AHL contract).
    it’s a win-win

just a thought……

• commandant says:

The problem with the AHL level trade is that its also lose-lose.

Lets say your reclamation project works. The Blackhawks still own his rights and they call him up to the NHL squad. You’ve spent your time coaching and reclaiming a player for another NHL team.

Lets say it doesn’t work. You spent a roster spot that could have been going to one of your prospects on someone else’s.

I’d be all for it, IF it was possible to trade for his NHL rights (obviously we can’t due to the lockout). But I don’t see how we can benefit from such an AHL level trade.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Haborama says:

sh*t, i didn’t know that, is it possible to do an AHL trade now and then gun for his NHL rights once the lockout’s over???

• Cal says:

Best to wait until the NHL is operating again.

• commandant says:

You can do the AHL trade and then do the NHL trade later

(we did this a couple years ago when we traded Cory Urquhart for Olivier Latendresse after the NHL trade deadline).

However the problem here is that if it REALLY WORKS, if it turns out fantastic, there is no obligation on Chicago to complete the NHL trade. If it looks great, they could just say no and keep Beach, or they could demand a bigger return for him.

I’m with Cal, I’d just wait for the lockout to end…. assuming such a deal could be in the cards.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Haborama says:

the big club could use a guy like him down the road, if all works out he could play on the top line, make sure that no one f*ks with Galchenyuk, and contribute the odd goal while not being a liability, kind of like Fergy to Beliveau……..

5. habstrinifan says:

The best thing about the flashback article today is seeing the name Keane again.

Keane was one cool HAB ….wore his heart on his sleeve. He was treated very badly by the language controversy.

When I see names like Keane and Nilan and Riseborough and Tremblay and Bouchard, I have this really DUMB sense of pride.

Pride that on many nights I got off my couch literally ready to battle with them. Very few teams had players like those. Not big but badass competitors. They practised that specificity of manhood which politically correct and law abiding principles have excised from the male psyche today.

The fight to the finish. Not where you pull a weapon and kill someone. Not where you gang up on someone. Not where you hit someone who’s down. Not to the finish where life ends. But to the finish where life moves on. Where you have it out and move on… get on with the game… get on with life…. often to have a beer after and show old wounds.

Today men tweet their curses on twitter like witches over a cauldron. Today men punk each other with fake tragedy while their cargo pockets jingle with “coins of convoy” from any fray. Today men play pranks of pretension with anonymous frivolity, while eager for a viral identity.

Keane and Riseborough and Tremblay and Bouchard and Nilan would be there on St. Crsipin’s Day. And I dont feel dumb that they inspired me to think that I would be too.

6. neumann103 says:

I am really digging the proto Pleka-neck turtleneck Vinnie Damphousse is sporting in the picture at the top of the page.

“Et le but!”

7. SmartDog says:

Have there been any questions about the Bulldogs coaching? I realize that it’s a young team and largely a new group of players but 29th place in the league? They may turn it around in the 2nd half, but have there been any rumblings or obvious signs of problems in leadership?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…’93 was a long ago wonderful memory

…my, how the years have flown

9. JF says:

According to ESPN, negotiations “could” resume this week. Daly said the two sides had been in touch and were “trying” to set something up. “Trying”? What’s so difficult about it? Name a time and place, and be there. It’s what these guys are being paid for. What else do they have to do?

10. Cal says:

Good morning, everyone. Be careful on Montreal roads on this day of snow and ice.
    Bing and Bowie together? Blasphemy!
    You decide.

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…something I hadn’t learned until tonight …the retirement of Jaro Spacek

…IMHO one of the little engines that could of the Habs’ recent seasons …I admired He and Hamrlik greatly …They, unlike many Players, always gave back value for the money They were paid

…all the best in retirement Jaro !

• rhino514 says:

Spacek is a nice guy and all, but he was signed as a two way defenceman, and his offence became non existent as soon as he joined the habs. He was ok defensively his first two years but a liablility during his last year.
      Hamrlik was a decent Dman during his tenure; but as far as value for money, his contract was too high.

• Cal says:

Prior to joining Montreal, Spacek had spent 12 seasons on left defense. First thing they did to him here was to move on the right side. BIG MISTAKE.

• Phil C says:

Maybe Hamrlik was over paid, but if you look at the minutes he logged while he was in Montreal ( first or second in total ice time ever year, never less than 75 games, playing all situations), it would be difficult to replace his minutes with anyone cheaper on the open market. I think the void left on defence when Hamrlik left was a major factor in last year’s debacle of a season.

I agree with Cal, Spacek never looked as comfortable on the right side. Another reason to sign PK and to be hopeful about Diaz’s development; natural right-handed defensemen are a valuable commodity in the NHL.

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

RYAN SZPORER (FEATURED COLUMNIST) Bleacher Report: …”As such, expect Montrealers to come back in droves once play resumes. The few who opt to hold a grudge can be easily replaced…one of the benefits of owning a hockey team with a rich history in a frickin’ cold city with not much else to do during the winter.” http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1438442-montreal-canadiens-marc-bergevins-top-5-priorities-when-the-nhl-lockout-ends

…can’t quibble on the overall gig of his pedestrian piece in Bleacher Report, but this porker obviously has never lived in nor visited Montreal in his obviously short lifetime, because describing Montreal as “a frickin’ cold city with not much else to do during the winter.” is a naive injustice to the Gomorrah Of The Great White North :)

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…World Junior Hockey Championship
    …high octane, uber-competitive hockey begat by Our Youth and the energy of Our Lands and Peoples …played for pride, passion and love of country
    …played for the LOVE of hockey

…NOT for mercenary loyalties, far-away pensions and extra millions of lucre

…tell Me again, You prefer watching a herd of out-of-shape NHL carpetbaggers paid to wear a Habs’ sweater this Christmas and New Year over the best of Our best playing with youthful hearts, world-class skill and pride

…actually I was relieved when Bettman and Fehr, both of whom feel and know nothing about the sport or culture of hockey, found another egotistical reason not to agree

…trust Me, I have no interest to see the NHL season resume before January …if then

• Riga Fraction says:

You don’t think a rich US basketball lawyer and a rich US baseball lawyer have hockey’s best interest in mind during these “negotiations” if that’s what one deems whatever this is?

14. Bripro says:

There have been two posts in the last 1-1/2 hours.
    We’re two weeks from Christmas and there’s still no hockey, and certainly none in sight.
    If this keeps up, come January, we’ll be able to count the tumbleweeds blowing through here.

If however, by some miracle (and the annihilation of two of the biggest egos in sport) a season does start in the New Year (and I don’t see it happening), I wonder about the quality of the show.
    Let’s be honest, for the players who are still here, no matter how hard they train to stay in shape, I have no doubt that their timing will be off and it will take some time to get it back. Longer than when the season starts in September.
    Pleky might just shine when he gets back.
    Either way, good timing or bad, I would love to hear Pierre Houde shout out “C’est le bût!” right about now.

• Habilis says:

Hockey in January, book it.

You’re absolutely right about the quality though, it will be sub-par for sure. Combine what you mentioned about most of the players not being in game shape with the fact that they will be playing a compressed schedule and the result will not be pretty, at least early on. We’ll probably see a huge number of sprains and pulls too, I foresee alot of call-ups.

I agree, it will be sublime to hear Houde call a real game again.

• Timo says:

You still haven’t given up? I admire you optimism. Enjoy some Christmas movies and shows, man. Much better than getting pissed because of another crappy Habs performance.

The only reason I still visit this site is for my Lori Graham fix.

• Riga Fraction says:

I think a lot of us are watching more hockey than ever with the NHL not being in the way. The discussions in general have been better with loads of Jr, AHL, NCAA games being discussed at length here rather than the typical Halak *rabble rabble* Price *rabble rabble* Gomez no goals in 376 days *rabble rabble* going on to brain numbing extents. (we won’t mention the endless attempts at song lyrics and reports on Xbox games)

We’re only a few weeks away from the WJHC, which is often the best hockey of the year and this year has would be NHLers on the slate like RNH and Yakupov for example.

I say if it gets rid of Bettman in the long run, let them stay out and let him pout in his office for the rest of the year. Who needs that Piece of Bovine Scatology anyway?

15. commandant says:

Bozon with a goal tonight too in a 4-1 win.

Unfortunately Chicoutimi loses 3-0 and Hudon’s 13 game point streak ends.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ProHabs says:

Is the bleacher report a credible website. After reading the story you linked, I read the one about Markov. This is what they had to say:

“He has good size (6’0″ and 201 lbs.) and is one of the most physical players on the Montreal roster. The Canadiens didn’t play with enough truculence and toughness last season, and the return of Markov will definitely change that.

He’s the only shutdown defenseman that the Canadiens have.”

Does that really sound like Markov??????? Not at all to me.

• commandant says:

Bleacher Report’s quality varies from writer to writer. They pretty much allow any amateur blogger to submit articles to them and will put them up. Some are very good, some arent.

I think the guy you quoted is not one of their better hockey analysts.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Timo says:

Didn’t you catch that fight Markov had with some poor unsuspecting soul? He is doubling as an MMA now. His knee can deliver some deadly blows.

16. HabFab says:

Isn’t this the weather lady from the other day with PK…seems Santa is feeling frisky;

17. Haborama says:

Brady Vail with two assists today……

we all know that he’s a potential shutdown centre, with half-decent offensive skills, but i’m just curious: is he physical?

18. Chris says:

To all of you who might still be in university pursuing a science degree, please consider this plea from somebody who has spent the past week grading lab reports, term papers and oral presentations…

Your communication skills matter. Your spelling and grammar matter. (Did you know that the English language has over one million words? Why should you care? Well, it means that you really don’t need to create new words! Just invest in a handy dictionary and thesaurus!)

I know that it seems like all you need to do is memorize that biochemical pathway or derive that physics equation. If you wanted to worry about spelling and grammar, you would have enrolled as an arts or social sciences major.

You are wrong. In the real world, outside the university or college bubble, people expect university graduates to be articulate. More importantly, the poor sod who has to correct your lab reports or term papers (me) will be in a much better mood while grading. You want the grader to be in a good mood. Trust me on this one. ;)

Rant over.

• HabFab says:

PS; take some economics and history classes too.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Where it becomes especially crucial is if you intend on publishing papers or writing research proposals.

• Chris says:

I just want them to demonstrate the ability to write and speak coherently. So many science students simply can not write coherently. It is quite discouraging.

• neumann103 says:

It is the equivalent of the Arts students who have no grasp of basic arithmetic. I don’t mean ignorance of differential equations, just noticing things like sums that don’t even begin to make sense, or a decimal place that wandered a bit.

You don’t have to be expert in areas away from your core subject (although it sure doesn’t hurt and I wonder why many don’t even try) but having a clue with the basics is essential.

“Et le but!”

• JF says:

The inability to write coherently is not limited to science students. Many arts students also have a sketchy knowledge of grammar and punctuation. In fact, some of the hockey reporters whose work is linked on this site haven’t a clue how to write – and they are journalists.

19. commandant says:

Bripro, if you hear the voices of your christmas decorations screaming at you, you’ve got bigger problems than the NHL lockout. ;)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

20. ed lopaz says:

Yassin Cisse should be a much better major junior type of player for the Armada of Boisbriand/Blainville then he was at Boston College.

I believe he belongs to the Winnipeg jets.

21. habstrinifan says:

HabinBurlington:”

December 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm

“Just be gratified that that 2 passionate hockey fans are controlling our ability to watch NHL hockey.”

This may be the most succinct observation of the root of the problem… or it may just be a fallacious argument about the importance of sport heridity.

Something tells me your hidden message is right on HabinBurlington.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

….Terry Mosher (Aislin), the editorial cartoonist I tend to compare all others to, also was contracted to do the original artwork for Trivial Pursuit …Chris Haney, one of the Canadian game’s inventors offered Terry a choice of $ 1000 cash or shares in the game …Terry took the cash

…according to an American travel magazine’s readers, the ugliest women in the United States may be found in Anchorage, Baltimore and Philthydelphia

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• HabFab says:

Now that is one bored hockey fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

…for the foreseeable future I will be annoyingly and shamelessly crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats
        …now some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor …and/or do not want yet another low-number unavailable to contemporary Players
        …maybe forgetting Toe Blake won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career …He was an essential component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day
        …most remember Toe Blake as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us were inspired by to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own
        …Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon
        …Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach
        …His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre
        …the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage
        …I wish to request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong
        …I suggested to Ian to theme this year’s Summit on Toe Blake …to incorporate some homage to Toe …maybe even make a request to Hurley’s Tavern to try to replicate the ambiance of the famed former Toe Blake’s Tavern
        …I will leave that to Ian, of what is doable in that regard …knowing Ian, He is more than capable (Note Bene: such may not be possible this October, because of the projected lock-out)
        …meanwhile, some clear input must be made by Habs’ Fans that agree with the objective, to let Their feelings and opinions be known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens Management
        …that means You !!! Boys and Girls
        …if this is something You would like to make right as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Retire Number 6 !!!’
        …if anyOne out there have other suggestions please let Ian and I know …they will be considered and appreciated

The following are the most relevant to send your testimonial to Retire Number 6 !!!:
        Geoff Molson: President and Owner (Twitter; @gmolsonchc)
        Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Send your testimonial to:

[Name of person]
        c/o The Montreal Canadiens
        1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
        Montreal, QC, CANADA
        H3C 5L2

• habstrinifan says:

May Bettman and Fehr fall madly in love with Miss Anchorage or Miss Baltimore or Miss Philthydelphia.

23. ZepFan2 says:

A quick recap of this week in the lockout Taiwanese style.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

24. HabFab says:

However Hab fans have more serious matters to discuss then the lock out.
    Both Gallagher and Galchenyuk go by the nickname Gallly….
    What is be done, this will get more confusing then the Kovelav and the Kostitsyn bros. Oh the inhumanity!

25. HabFab says:

Nystrom scored a goal and an assist today in the Swedish Second league, his first points after getting promoted 2 weeks ago.

Gally had a goal and Vail two assists this afternoon.

26. SmartDog says:

Oh boy! A Fantasy Win followed by a Flashback Tie.
    How can I contain my joy?

HIO is really like Christmas coming early!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

Interesting all the complaints towards HI/O. This is a site dedicated towards NHL hockey, currently there is no NHL hockey. Yet many complain about HI/O.

To me it seems obvious we are stuck reading whatever we the commentariat can cobble together until those two hockey purists Bettman and Fehr decide they want to watch the sport they never watched as kids get played at the NHL level again.

• HabFab says:

Answered your question on previous thread, wasn’t you so you didn’t forget. It was Lafleurguy (Andrew?)

• SmartDog says:

Yah, it’s just there’s so little to say.

How can I talk about Eller and PK and how good these guys are getting when we can’t even watch them? How can I make fun of Therrien when he’s not even coaching? How can I crap on Gomez when he’s not even playing?

I’m just bummed. These American basketball and baseball lawyers are really pissing me off.
        ————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFab says:

Yeah, the FehrButt Nazis are still saying “No hockey for you!”

The good news is apparently they have spoken on the phone and there is pressure on the leaders to continue with a sense that a deal was close. Hope this hasn’t put the hardliner owners back as the driving force on their side.

That is the great Fehr, that Jacobs etc… Get their way.

• harpman says:

I doubt Bettman & Fehr can even skate let alone play the game at any level.

• Chuck says:

Could be worse… the Leafs had a fantasy loss followed by a flashback loss.

___________________________________________________

27. HabFab says:

Putting your money where you mouth is, NHL fans on strike;

• Mr. Biter says:

Only way to show displeasure with current strike is not to buy any NHL merchandise. Hit em in the wallet.
      Update: NHL teams get1/30 from licensing of merchandise and 100% of revenue from merchandise bought from their Team stores or NHL.com. If merchandise are bought from any other retailer the 1/30 (lisencing fee) is all thn NHL gets and the profits go to the retailer, so if you do want to buy some Habs (or any other team merchandise) buy anywhere but the team store to limit what the owners get.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• commandant says:

The 1/30 means that all NHL teams get a cut out of stuff bought at non-team stores, rather than it going to a specific team.

If you but a Habs jersey at the Eaton Centre. The Habs get 1/30th, the preds 1/30th, the flames 1/30th, etc…. etc… of the profit.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mr. Biter says:

I interprided it that the league gets the licensing rights from the supplier (Ie. Reebok) but gets nothing from the sale by retailers, but then I could be wrong.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• B says:

The Habs do not get 100% of any merchandise sales, it all goes into HRR. Under the last CBA, 57% went to the players. They might only get 50% under the next CBA, but we will have to wait to see how that ends up going. Here is a description from Stu Hackel of HRR under the last CBA:

“HRR includes money from regular season and playoff gate receipts; preseason and special games (such as international exhibitions); national, international and national digital broadcasts; the NHL Network; all local cable, over-the-air, pay-per-view and satellite TV broadcasts; local radio; club internet sites; all club publications, merchandise and novelty items sold in and out of arenas; concessions; luxury boxes, suites and premium seats; fixed and temporary signage and arena sponsorships; rink board advertising; parking in club operated facilities; and some other stuff. Pretty much what you’d expect.”

–Go Habs Go!–

• commandant says:

HRR is league wide. The merchandise sold adds to total HRR no matter if it is sold in a team store or in the Bell Centre. It raises HRR which in turn sets escrow and the salary cap.

The actual dollars do not go DIRECTLY to the players. They first go into team coffers before they are paid out as salary, and according to the contracts the team has given out.

So you are arguing something completely different here…. I’m telling you where the funds go when a jersey is sold. You are talking about how it is distributed to the players after the fact (something that is irrelevant to the 1/30 vs 100% discussion at hand).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• B says:

You wrote:

“Ie if you buy a Habs Jersey at the Bell Centre, the Habs get 100% of the profit.”

I simply pointed out that the Habs do not get 100% of the profit on merchandise sales. They may collect that revenue, as your follow up points out, but they don’t get 100% of the profit. Sorry if I misunderstood your use of the term profit.

–Go Habs Go!–

28. Bripro says:

First to repost:

Every year, when we buy a Christmas tree, it’s my job to put in the lights and do the village. My wife and daughter decorate afterward.
    So I assembled all the village, and one of the last items is a rink, surrounded by benches, pine trees and a few fans sitting on the benches watching the players.
    But there were no players, and the little people started calling me Butthead, threw little styrofoam snow balls and branches, and yelled out in unison “death to the commissioner”!
    I had to scramble to get those little players on the ice, but they’re holding out for more money.
    I told them that we’d sit down at some point before Christmas and make sure to get the players back in.
    Then, in the very back, I heard Santa say: “There goes another season! Way to ruin Christmas, ya Scrooge!”