Greatest stat of all time

P.A. Parenteau: one goal on zero shots

Eric Hornick, statistician on New York Islanders home telecasts since 1982, shares this wonderful only-in-the-NHL stat with members of the Society for International Hockey Research:

Islanders’ P.A. Parenteau was credited with an awarded goal in Friday night’s 4-3 Isles win over Boston when he was hooked at in an empty-net situation. Parenteau thus goes into the record books with one goal on zero shots taken during the game.

So forever, he will at least share the record of “Highest shooting percentage: infinity.”

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About Saturday afternoon

• Don Cherry thinks we should stop whining about “what’s his name”

• Andrew Cohen has a different view in The Atlantic

What’s all the fuss about Chara-Pacioretty? asks Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont

Some heavyweights weigh in

Arpon Basu’s Playoff Check-up

1. Chorske says:

Not sure if anyone on here is interested, but I started a Facebook group called “The NHL needs to change”. I’m not sure how effective these things are, and I certainly don’t think to divert any traffic from HIO. But if you feel strongly about the issue, feel free to sign up. It’s an open group so anyone can join and invite friends.

2. fbkj says:

talking behind closed doors undermines their point in bringing it up in the first place

3. The Cat says:

What good could come out of making the league look bad publically? I mean if the NHL gave that way of doing things some credence, itd open itself up forever after to the same type of ‘extortion’.

4. The Cat says:

The problems are due to todays speed of the players. Bigger rinks is what it takes but it wont happen cause rich people dont get rich by giving money away, they take your money.

5. CanadienBoy says:

Never recover from that Lafleurs shoot in the playoff

6. observer says:

next game against the BEST team in the east – washington who now are on a roll, injured players starting to come back, have a real goalie finally and now play habs style of hockey. they play chicago today then habs.

7. Chorske says:

I can think of several hundred reasons why this has nothing to do with anything.

8. ed lopaz says:

Ok – now we agree. 😉

Bigger, international ice surface would most definitely give the faster players more room.

100% agree.

And, the passing and skating on the international ice is phenomenal to watch.

I believe it is a superior product.

NHL has missed the boat on this.

regarding the money – i assume you mean the cost of reconfiguring the arenas.

the NHL can do it easily – and the teams would pass on the cost to ticket holders, advertisers, etc.

the REAL PROBLEM???

every league under the NHL, junior teams, midget AAA, AA, teams, local arenas,

those players would need to be trained on international ice, and there’s no money to help those arenas.

that’s where the “cost” becomes a real problem.

9. The Cat says:

Well players use their arms, when Chara uses his though, theyre usually close to player x’s head.

10. Omit says:

All NHL arenas have been using plexiglas or safety glass for some time now.

Have you got anything else?

11. habstrinifan says:

Some decades ago there WAS A LAW enacted in a small Florida town where you ‘had to carry a gun’… seriously.

They changed it when police would show up to a crime scene and find ‘citizens’ blasting away at each other.

12. novahab says:

A message to the players of the NHL with no history of being suspended. Now if your in the playoffs or better the Cup final and the other team has a star player beating you just kill him or break his neck its ok. Don Cherry said its the rinks fault and the League said if you have no history then you get a first time feebee. Don Cherry should be fired what a stupid message he delivered last night. Chara did nothing wrong it was the rink . So for all you gangster out there shooting people in the head get Cherry as your lawyer. He’ll get you off because its the guns fault.

13. ed lopaz says:

Gomez went out of his way this week to use Stevens as a model example of how to hit legally???

Some players are clueless.

14. novahab says:

I disagree the league controls the size of the ice surface because I believe they wanted a bigger ice surface when the Bell Centre was being planned. Gary the Gangster Bettman would have nothing to do with it because he thought it would give the Canadiens a advantage.

15. fbkj says:

it elevates the profile of the issue and shines more light on the problem

16. JERM says:

Just read the Kevin Paul Dupont article, Absolutely Ridiculous!

First off because incidents like these occurred in the past with little to no suspension or repercussions does not mean that going forward the league should not be punishing these type of dangerous hits. The past and “precedence” has no relevance in this discussion. The NHL needs to stop using this crutch as an excuse not to suspend players and going forward needs to hold ALL players (regardless of stature) accountable for their actions on the ice.

Secondly because no one was up in arms and making a “stink” when Bergeron and Savard were concussed (as per Dupont) that is not Montreal’s problem the city or the organization. All Bostonian’s should have taken the responsibility to speak up and voice there concerns to the league and publicly such as Montreal is doing now.

Finally, I am tired of hearing that this is a dangerious sport where the violence within the game is what puts fans in the seats. When you parade out an argument like that then you cannot be taken seriously as a journalist. Cite one fan survey or even statistics that shows this to be a fact. I guess names like Crosby and Ovechin have no bearing on attracting fans to the game. I guess all those Ovechin, Crosby, Sedin, Camalleri, Price, Stamkos, etc. jerseys being sold are because fans love to watch these guys fight and deliver headshots. Last I checked Cooke, Rupp, Thorton, Campbell are not the most sought after jerseys in the league.

Yes hockey is a fast and exciting sport however hockey is but does not need to be violent. The violence occurs because the players and the league allow it to happen. The league needs to understand that we are no longer living in the 70’s and 80’s, today’s fans and society in general, as witnessed by the backlash in Montreal or Mario Lemieux speaking out, no longer accept this and the NHL needs to start listening.

Jerm

17. fbkj says:

problem with increasing the ice surface is season ticket owners, youd have to add as many seats elsewhere as you subtract in order to avoid major pr headaches

which is a logistical nightmare for a lot of buildings… most notably MSG

18. ed lopaz says:

yes. you are right. season ticket holders would be an issue.

I think it could be resolved once they saw the product on the ice.

19. Danno says:

Okay, it probably won’t make any difference but here goes anyways…

Here is Moores Clothing’s email address…

customer@mooresclothing.com

Letter I sent…

————————————

Dear Sir or Madam,

I regret to inform you that as a result of the insulting comments made by Don Cherry on Coach’s Corner that I will no longer patronize your establishment or buy any of your products. Your company is a sponsor of Coach’s Corner which airs on Hockey Night in Canada broadcast by the CBC.

I have taken this decision in light of the fact that Mr. Cherry made several insulting, inaccurate, insensitive and offensive remarks regarding the near-fatal assault of Boston Bruins Captain Zdeno Chara on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty.

The message Mr. Cherry gave was contrary to the values we hold and only aggravates a very bad situation.

Regards

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. fbkj says:

not to those who once had reds and suddenly find themselves in the desjardins section

not to those who once had season tickets but no longer have them (if they dont expand the buildings to accomodate more seats)

removal of a few rows takes my seats out of the reds lol… which is why im against it, but thats just me lookin after my own interests 😉

21. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Haven’t seen it, won’t watch it, I will not let that fool rent space in my head.

22. Mark C says:

Chara’s motive isn’t so irrational when you consider his actions that followed the shove, and his singling out of Max the next time the two teams met. In the past two games it seems clear that Max had a target on him and Bruins players were going after him whenever possible. A shove is a fairly weak motive, but once we look at the timeline and Chara’s actions towards Max it’s hard not to view that shove as some sort of motive.

Chara going after Max in Boston: http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102046

23. blu3chip says:

Which is worse? Sour old grapes or sour Nordiques fans?

24. Danno says:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.” — Joseph Goebells

“It was the stanchion. It was the stanchion. It was the stanchion.” Don Cherry, Donald Fehr, Gary Bettman, Mike Murphy….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. HabFanSince72 says:

His victim did walk away alive. So I guess you’re siding with the fans who gave the animal a standing O.

26. habitual says:

I started to watch the Cherry video, unable not to in the same way you can’t stop yourself from looking at a car accident.

But really, can anyone take a guy who, with his ridiculous hat and cartoon coloured outfit, looks like a character from the Cat in the Hat?

And sounds like one?

27. fbkj says:

not sure if id call that irony but im certainly not surprised… why anyone is offended by what he said makes me shake my head… we all heard his comments in our heads the momet chara hit patches… hes that damn predictable and devoid of thoughtfull processes

28. Thurston says:

Anyone else finding it ironic that Cherry is defending the European over the North American player?

29. fbkj says:

Lars Eller ripping briere’s stick out of his hands and throwing it down the ice after briere tries to fondle his junk

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Here’s one for your day.

Most memorable play by a Hab this season, go.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

31. Bugs says:

For the record, I never bought the “normal hit in unknown area of the ice” story. No doubt he pushed him, deliberately, THERE. With the intent to jam him up what good. A play we’ve all seen a hundred times over the course of our NHL-watchin lives and which usually end up on the Plays of the Week. No doubt that was his PLAN. He MEANT to put him in there; I don’t care what anyone says. He just didn’t expect to murder the guy BECAUSE it’s a hit we’ve seen 100 times, and unless Dale Hunter applied it, the victims usually walked away alive. I believe in his remorse frm that standpoint.

I just don’t believe in his innocence on the play. He SAW the Pac-Man; he SAW the stanchion, he SAW the opportunity. And he took it. And if he was on my team and his victim had walked away alive, I woulda loved’m for it. That’s why it’s the “didn’t know who it was and where I was” story that rubs me the wrong way. C’mon.

As for the slanted stanchion idea, meh.

Same kinda play, you hit that thing with your chin or the side of your face, your body’s momentum keeps going but your head twists up the rail, nice, crack-crack, I dunno; I think you risk the broken net just as much…

How ’bout just triple the padding?

32. RGM says:

The problem, unfortunately, is that Don Cherry–no matter how absurd and out-of-touch he is–remains relevant in shaping opinions about hockey in Canada. You need only to go Twitter and see how many “I agree with Don Cherry” type tweets there are there, how many people cite him as representing their views, etc.

He is a dinosaur that represents a bygone era. People forget that helmets weren’t always mandatory. They still criticize those who wear visors to protect themselves. People forget that goalies used to not have helmets. When those changes were introduced into the game, people were aghast. I’m sure Mike Milbury started talking about “pansies” the first time he saw a visor.

Fortunately for people who do care about the players, there is a new generation of on-air talent that is articulate and well-reasoned. People like Steve Kouleas, Mike Johnson, and Kevin Weekes are but three of them. They don’t raise eyebrows and they don’t get a lot of press because they aren’t bombastic blowhards, but they are often right. Cherry will be gone within 5 years. These guys are the future, and when their time comes they will have a better and more positive impact in shaping public opinion on violence in hockey.

33. Ton says:

agree. having said this little is said on the hit inself by dupont or cherry.  for those who really understand hockey the hit as it is being referred to  needs to be analyize frame by frame. (reason, cause, result, etc) botomline it didn’t need to happen, no contact should have been made, the puck was not in the play hence the interpherence call. that cannot change therefore one needs to review it has it happened>the follow through, not bad but it was in the head area, the rub out>well done but it was an ilegal contact> the intent/motive> didn’t mean to kill him  but he wanted to crunch him, pay back this is the result he wanted.  very few are looking at this way, its more about 1992, 1996, chara was skating backwards, what was he suppose to do, he’s a nice guy, he’s big, bla bla bla.

34. JERM says:

Excellent letter. Every little bit counts. A single voice is better then no voice.

Jerm

35. The Cat says:

No youre wrong.

36. Bill J says:

I choose to believe the “Teachers union” does not like the injuries in the NHL & the lack of action by the NHL.

Seems like a sensible position for teachers to take.

37. jennifer1984 says:

i started to and then stopped it. i had heard what he said and knew that if i had watched it, i would just get more angry, so i stopped myself.

what a joke. and you all know that if it was a Boston guy instead of Patches, CHerry would be freaking!

38. RGM says:

I like the CTV guys on Question Period doing the “water cooler talk” about how this is a battle between “the old guard” and intelligent, well-reasoned people who are concerned about consequences moreso than intent.

39. Bill J says:

We have to get Bruiser the Bulldog to hunt you down Cat.

This post by the feline Nordiques fan is clearly searching for a flame war.

I mean no intelligent poster would write this type of post HERE without expecting a flame war.

40. RGM says:

LMAO @ Craig Oliver referring to Don Cherry as a “garrulous ignoramus.”

41. habsgod says:

can anyone of my fellow habs fans tell me where i can find carey price’stats,iwant to find his career record against all the other teams i looked but couldn’t find anything.

42. The Cat says:

I really have no reason to be sour, but you may have a reason to be irrational however.

43. mrhabby says:

yes…this is exactly what its about. the old boys network vs the new breed , well reasoned masses.

44. The Cat says:

Im french and Im a separatist, I really dont make a point to align myself with Don Cherry. I think hes disrespectful and I thought he was very wrong when it came to PK Subban. But on this occasion, I think he was more right than wrong.

45. blu3chip says:

lol

That is almost as meaningless as saying “I’m right and you are wrong, period.”

It’s either you are sour, or just incredibly not bright. “If Chara planned all that, well hes a geometry/algebra genius.” is just golden. A normal human being with a rational mind is not dumb enough to say something like that.

46. The Cat says:

You read and weep.

47. LA Loyalist says:

You need to watch it, it’s important. At least he offers a solution which I like to know what all you guys think.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

What makes it a real laugher is he accused Steckel of knowing exactly what he was doing when he shouldered Crosby in the head, but poor Zdeno Chara had no clue what he was doing by riding Pacioretty in to that stanchtion.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

CONCUSSION—PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO CLIP

Please click onto this link and scroll down to the English video—

The french text, click onto your translate button on google for the english.

Regards, from a very upset and concered 67yr. old hockey fan, hockey billet, minor coach & referee and hockey players grand parent. This is no longer the game that I loved all my life.

50. Bugs says:

He didn’t walk away at all.

So I guess your conclusion is flawed.

51. habstrinifan says:

I would like to se ethe league look into the idea re angling the stanchion. Don Cherry said this idea came from Kelly, a former player. All solutions should be looked at and if this maintains the integrity of the structure while preventing injuries it should be adopted.

It looks like an easy modification also.

52. habsgod says:

thanks for  this

53. Omit says:

I see your problem.  I link you to the NHL rules and you link me to kuklaskorner and someone who quotes Darren Dreger. LOL!

Give me the info or stats that proves the Bell Centre has more injuries than other arenas.  I’ll simplify it for you.  Name me players from the Habs that have been injured due to the glass in the past 3 years and show me that it’s different from other arenas.

54. habstrinifan says:

Carey Price signing his contract!!

55. likehoy says:

How can Kevin Dupont compare Zdeno Chara to Max Pacioretty and Guillaume Latendresse?
    Chara has played over 10 years in the NHL, pacioretty and latendresse were just rookies.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

56. RGM says:

No problem. The Canadiens’ “Our History” page also has stats. You can compare all records from all seasons, which is pretty cool.

57. Thurston says:

Angling the stanchion or putting more padding on it may help, but what about the sudden stop when a fast moving player hits it? It’s still got to jar the ever-loving crap out of you. Then, there is the matter of hitting the ice quickly after hitting the stanchion.

58. The Cat says:

Well you can believe me or not. Is Ron Reusch good enough? The NY Times? How about ESPN?

59. Jbird says:

Game two when Gomer’s weak wrister beats Fluery 5 hole with a minute to go – Habs were down 2 nothing with 3 to go.  Habs complete an inprobable comeback and we all cheer the hallarious  Pens Collapse.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s my pick as well, SUBBANG.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

61. The Cat says:

I guess Hal Gill is evil as well then.

62. drivefor25 says:

If Chara is so ‘innocent’, why is he saying now he had no idea it was Pacioretty on the ice? He’s paid $7.5 million, he’s won a Norris and now we’re supposed to believe he had no idea it was Patches he was chasing to the boards and angling into the stanchion? How can you believe Chara had no idea he was lining up against Patcioretty less than 20 seconds before the incident?

His statement wouldn’t hold up in a court of law. It would be perjury. And if Chara’s lying about that, what else is he lying about? His intent, perhaps?

Fan since ’71

63. petrov14 says:

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

64. andrewberkshire says:

It’s not his solution, and it still doesn’t make any sense. If you’re going to angle the stanchion why have it there anyway? Just take out the glass.

65. Omit says:

Typical separatist.  You never let the facts get in the way of a debate.  Instead of answering my question, you throw up garbage to obfuscate matters.

66. Everlasting1 says:

Osama Osama Osama..

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

67. The Cat says:

Typical anglo who bends over for everybody. You didnt even know what I meant by seamless glass. If these players said this: ‘‘It is very dangerous,” Brendan Shanahan of the Detroit Red Wings said. ”It’s like running into a brick wall.”

Owen Nolan of San Jose said: ”It’s a lot harder. It’s like hitting concrete.”

Derian Hatcher of Dallas rapped his fist against a wooden table to illustrate his point and said: ”It’s hard. It doesn’t move. It seems like guys will get injuries. Being hit into this is not fun.”

And then theres: The six remaining NHL arenas with seamless glass are scheduled for a makeover in the offseason.

Sources tell The Dreger Report that Calgary, Montreal, Minnesota, Nashville, Colorado and Phoenix will have their end zone boards and glass retro-fitted to acrylic glass to comply with the rest of the league.

Acrylic glass is flexible and helps absorb the energy of a bodycheck, while conversely, the traditional glass system provides no energy absorption.

The decision to make the change, according to a source, was primarily based on NHL injury reports which show above normal injury rates in the six arenas without acrylic glass in the endzones.

The Predators, for one, says it’s hopeful the change will make for a safer environment.

This (Dregor report quote)is good enough for me. Whether or not these buildings have had more injuries I dont know Im not that bored that Im going to analyze this rink by rink.

68. Omit says:

Well, at least you know how to use google for certain things.  You just didn’t know or were unable find the answer to my question.

Btw, I know what seamless glass is and I didn’t even have to google it.

69. Miltie01 says:

I like how folks now of days, intead of having real discussion, accuse their opponant of being unintelligent, and not being well reasoned when they disagree with you……

70. OneTimer says:

That’s a good post Hobie, I’m with ya.

71. larisalapointe says:

Hal Gill’s 2 goals in Florida in consecutive games!!!