Grand Prix day in Montreal

scaled

And it’s raining.
Major bummer … but unlikely to dampen the spirits of irrepressible P.K. Subban.

• The Red Sox hammered the Blue Jays, a long shot won the Belmont and Brock Trotter is heading back to the Canadiens.

• Ron Reusch, who posted the Trotter story, has a good analysis of the team’s salary cap situation.

• Roland Melanson on why Carey Price was rushed into the NHL

Bulldogs face offseason of change

• And in case you missed, Chris Stevenson has the Sedins unloading on Mike Milbury.

Best quote: “I think he has to be happy with his career,” Henrik added. “He did a great job on Long Island. I’m sure he is happy with that.”

1. habstrinifan says:

Just thought, as I saw Habby’s signature line “Drive for 25 is ALIVE”, that it might be time for the HABS current GM and coaches and players to operate this season isolated from the velvet placidity of the greatness of the TEAM’S history and accept the CHALLENGE AT THE BELL to win this GENERATION’S first in their ‘new’ rink.

I think the harsh reality of their ‘current winlessness and failure’ may provide a stiffer splash of reality and on-edge motivation than the implicit superiority of being endowed with the task of continuing greatness.

This should be a team Hungry for ONE not AIMING for MORE!

2. Habby says:

The worst thing that could happen this week is if Boston wins game 6 then wins game 7 in a controversial manner. Something like a weird goal that should have been disallowed or if they seriously injure a Vancouver player. If they win outright then there’s nothing that could have been done and the people of Vancouver will have to wait some more. But if they win in a manner similar to how they got rid of us this year (not just our playoff series but with Max and the Feb. game) there might be problems.

The drive for 25 is alive!

3. habstrinifan says:

Not a huge basketball fan. But GREAT to see the Mavs beat the HEAT!

Ridiculous the revisionist history which seems to take hold and minimise the ‘once in a century’ phenomenom which was Michael Jordan by elevating LeBron James to his level.

James started his career as a ‘wholesome’ admirable young man but with each tattoo became a loquacious braggart with lack of respect for his fellow competitors.

Wade’s actions in joining James and mocking Dirk surprised me because he has always been a class act and has had a fabulous career where he showed true leadersip.

I suspect Bosch is very regretful of becoming a HEAT.

Congrats Dirk and Cuban and Kidd and the Mavs.

4. Everlasting1 says:

Way to go Mavs! Dirk, after an abbysmal first half performance steps it up in the 4th, and Jason Terry on fire to win their first title. Not much of a celebration..wtf, Dirk walks straight to the locker room after the final buzzer. Ringless King James looking F L A T. Love it.

——————————————————————-
    ” There were giants on the earth in those days; and also after that (The Deluge), when the Sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.” Genesis 6:4

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

5. PrimeTime says:

Congrats Mavs!! Nowitzsky and Terry get vindication. Bron Bron still growing up.

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

• Bill J says:

I particularly enjoyed watching Bosh crumble in tears to the ground in the hallway heading back to their dressing room.

Here’s hoping the Ruins face the exact same fate on home turf tomorrow night.

• Everlasting1 says:

He’s the only one who did his part.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• usaref says:

hopefully Bruins follow Heat footsteps, both class less teams

6. naweed235 says:

hahaha everyone should see this video on Canadiens site… “Why is Hal Gill such a Charmer? ”
    my favorite response was prices… just hilarious

• Steven says:

I love how half the team was like: “Gill’s a charmer?” Then those very same guys answered: “He’s a smooth talker”

Also, yes, Price’s comment had me laughing for a good 5 minutes.

7. ffenliv says:

I’m with you 100% on the ‘how did he get a suspension for that, when Chara didn’t for his hit on Patches’.

However, only, say, 80% of me agrees with the ‘Rome shouldn’t have gotten a suspension, when compared to the Chara nonsense. Would I rather the league had season-long, consistent discipline? Damn right. However, if the option was between them starting to get crap out of the game now, versus never, I’ll take now.

I just hope that the stern discipline continues, along with other changes, in an attempt to reduce head injuries while maintaining the thrill of the sport. I don’t for a second believe that punishing late hits like they did with Rome, and reducing equipment size/hardness would ruin the game, so just do it already!

TSNBobMcKenzie’s Twitter
    “Coaching Carousel: smart $ on Paul MacLean to OTT, Glen Gulutzan to DAL, Craig MacTavish or Mike Yeo to MIN. Not done deals yet, just IMO.”

9. Mike D says:

So, the contract talks with the team and Markov were supposed to happen in early June. I assume they’ve begun and am expeting him to be signed sometime this week. I’ve stated numerous times that I expect it to be a 2 year deal for around 5.5mil per season. But…..

Out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on this option instead:

5-6 years @ 4mil per season

I doubt PG would gamble like that, and I don’t even know if Markov would accept it, but it’s something to consider for these reasons:

1) Just as the team has concerns over whether Markov can stay healthy and play at the level he has in the past, I think Markov himself might share those same concerns too.

2) Because of #1, Markov might like the security that a longer term offers, even if it’s a slightly lower salary per year. From PG’s side it’s a gamble if he can’t stay healthy or play as well as he used to, but if he does, then that is one heck of a steal for a player of Markov’s calibre. Also, because he’d be signing this deal at age 32, it wouldn’t be a 35+ contract (like Spacek’s) which helps us if Markov can’t continue his career at some point, or chooses to retire before it expires.

I stand by my prediction of 2 years @ approx. 5.5mil, but which option do you guys like?? Would you offer him a longer deal at a discount? Do you think Marky would accept one?

- Honestly yours

• Bill J says:

I hate to be a downer, but I read somewhere that talks have stalled. Not about $, but about term. 79 may test the market.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

It makes sense for him to see what kind of offers he gets from other teams. It also makes sense for him to want to lock into a long term contract. If he signs a one or two year contract and gets hurt, he will have a hard time getting signed again. If he locks into a long term deal he’s guaranteed to get his money whether he’s hurt or not.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If Markov plays hardball and tries to squeeze too much out of the Habs by demanding a long contract or a huge salary I think they should walk away.
          They had better sign Wisniewski or Bieksa if that were to happen though!
          I don’t trust Markov’s knee with the way the game is played today and I’d be constantly worried about him being injured if I were management.
          I love Markov and he loves Montreal but people will be keeping their fingers crossed he doesn’t get reinjured if he resigns for sure.
          Markov may well have lost a step as a result of his injuries as well?

• Mike D says:

What?!?!?! Where did you hear that from? Do you have a source/article??

- Honestly yours

• Bill J says:

Well, for one. Keep in mind, not many Hab rumors tend to pan out. But it was tweeted a few days ago. The lack of announcement, does seem to make sense when you think about it.

Not to mention, it totally makes sense that PG would only offer a short term deal.

Time will tell I guess, btw I do hope 79 stays on. But if indeed this is true, I in turn hope Wiz is signed & Markov’s rights are traded.

• habstrinifan says:

If he does then PLAN B, quickly, WIZ.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Probably never happen. $4 million X 5 years = $20 million/ 5 years.
      If he played 2 years at $5.75 million ($11.5 M) he could could play the next three years at $2,833,333.34 and earn more than the $20 M you offered him. There’d be some risk on his part, but also the potential to earn an extra 8 or 10 million bucks as well, which is well worth the risk IMO. Based on what I’ve seen PG do in the last month, I’m not even going to guess what happens with Markov, and by that I mean his salary, length of contract, or even what team pays it. ???

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

10. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m always the first person to point out just how stupid most conspiracy theories really are. But when it comes to the Boston Bruins, the NHL disciplinary committee and the NHL in general, I can confidently say something was definitely going on there.

Maybe with Campbell stepping down and thousands of fans and a few sponsors screaming foul; things will change next year.

The Bruins had absolute free reign all season to do what they desired, if it entailed breaking the rules. The hits by Bruins players on Pacioretty, Spacek and Halpern somehow went unsuspended when similar or even less violent shots to the head were given a suspension.

I definitely think measures have to be taken in order make the games safer for the players. Everyone loves hits and most people enjoy seeing a good hockey fight. I hate to prove Don Cherry right but he’s spot on about a couple things in this entire head injury dilemma.

First and probably the largest contributor to the head injuries are the shoulder and elbow pads. Halpen would have never been injured by Ferrence’s shoulder had he not been wearing body armour for shoulder pads. Even the slightest impact from the pads today is enough to inflict damage.

Secondly, some of the clutching and grabbing should be allowed back into the game so guys like Raffi Torres can’t launch off his feat or run at guys without any impediment. Every player from the first to the forth line can absolutely fly today and if you’re not allowed to put a hand on anyone you’re letting guys constantly hit other players at top speed.

And finally, I think it may have come to this, take away the instigator rule. Using Torres again as an example, I don’t think he would be running at Boston players if he knew Chara or Lucic would not get an extra two minutes if they started punching him and he could either fight back or turtle. Torres could cover up and the opposing player could get a roughing call if he really had no interest in fighting but eventually he’d either have to start fighting back or risk having his manhood question by his teammates, the media and fans. So ultimately he’d probably ease up the head shot type hits because he’d have to fight a larger man than himself and also get a suspension. If the league removed the instigator rule the refs could also hand out more 10-minute and game misconducts if they believed a player pounded on another player who had no interest in fighting. The league could also suspend, like they currently do, players who rack up misconducts.

• slapshot777 says:

I’ve been saying the same thing for the past couple of seasons, and I was told time and time again that I was foolish to think such a thing existed. That the NHL would never allow such things to go on.

This season a lot more people are now realizing this and are now expressing their opinion on the same subject. Why? Because it is more balck and white this season more than ever. It has been brewing in this League gor a few years in my opinion, each year getting gradually worse.

The NHL has been really giving it to the Canadian teams more so than the rest of the League. This has been to get an American TV deal in place and with Canadian teams in the final four or finals it would not be a good draw for the American audiences, which is all the NHL cares about.

In the past 18 seasons since the Habs last won the cup, we have seen (not sure if this is accurate) only four Canadian teams in the Final. Detroit and Pittsburgh has that many each. The NHL only notices the Canadian teams when the payday for the League roll around. Winnipeg only got a team because, Bettman never had no one else step up to fill the void and his hands were basically tied and he never had a choice. Unlike Phoenix where the council will pay the bill at least one more year to keep the Coyotes at bay.

Bettman also knows that a team in Canada hurts his vision of having as many American teams as possible. This time if the people of Winnipeg and the ownership stays true to their team, there is nothing Bettman can do to take it away. The Americans have basically had their way with the NHL for the past number of years (the owners) and they have basically made rule changes to suit their teams and themselves, also the American fans.

Every time the Americans get their hands in something they run it into the crapper. We are seeing it with the League now and if things don’t soon change this game will not be worth watching. Then once the game gets beyond the stupid stage everyone will walk away from it. Then they will turn back to the Canadian teams to save it.

Hockey, is a tough sport, and tough players play in it. The League chooses to listen to a select few people who only has an agenda to suit themselves. We have seen it in the past couple of months. There was mention of Campbell having chats with Ken Holland about suspensions, before the Mike Murphy/ Brian Burke incident. Jeremy Jacobs and Bettman are in bed together. It’s so plain to see. Jacobs was the one who pushed through Bettman for another five year term. Since he was Chairman of the Board Of Govenors, he had the power to do it.

So I guess the old saying ” you scratch my back and I’ll scratch your” had a nice ring to it. We’ve seen it all season with the Bruins. Every now and then you see Ed Snider get involved. Bettmans other buddies would have a say in things only they are too busy doing time in jail for illegal activities. Boots Del Biaggio, Bruce McNall, Henry Samueli. There are probably more these are a few who comes to mind.

The 2011-12 season is time for the NHL to start to correct things and make them right. It’s not all about the American markets. The Canadian teams have been carrying this league for a long time. If you don’t think so, try taking the Canadian teams out of the League and see where this League would end up like.

The NHL, could become another WHL, if another strong rival League was to start up in North America. There would be competition to keep the League fair and competitive, without thet the League can do whatever they want and without any consequences. The voting is done ” democratically ” but we all know that the Canadian govenors would always get out voted. So it is just a mere formality.

Same goes for the Heritage classic. The original was Montreal vs Edmonton. Everything went well, big crowd great old timers game and great NHL game. The League made money. Now the League doesn’t care about it going back to Canada it’s all about the American teams. The only reason Calgary got one last season is because of the constant asking for a game. This year they are talking about dropping the Heritage Classic because of so called “poor ice condition ” The outdoor classic in the states I see is still a go. What about the poor ice there last season and the rain the past two games. I guess the Americans need this to be one up on the Canadians.

Everything is done to show one up to their so called friends to the North. More like whatever is done in Canada can be done twice as good in the USA. Say what you like, but the conspiracy factor is alive and well.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hobie Hansen:

1) I concur that Don Cherry is correct on the equipment issue. It would make sense to legislate only soft plastic or gel padding allowed on the upper body, except the helmet, where hard shell is necessary.

This concept is not entirely novel. In rugby, for example, the ref inspects each team’s cleats to ensure none are pointed or cracked, and that no one is wearing jewelry or glasses, so as to prevent injury to the opposing player.

I found that my Flak jacket shoulder pads I got in the nineties were pretty bulky and impaired my movement without necessarily protecting me that much better (especially in a non-contact league). If I am a battering ram a la Torres, the lack of mobility doesn’t affect me, so that’s the equipment choice for me. But if I’m a nifty puck handler, I don’t want the bulky hard protection anyway, I’ll go for the flexible option. So let’s regulate the hard plastic out of the game, and favour the skilled players over the stiff collision artists. Easy call.

2) Bringing clutching and grabbing back into the game in the name of player safety is a ridiculous idea. I know the CBC hacks have been floating the idea around, but I don’t want to legislate against skilled players in favour of the hook-and-hold-on artists. If speed is a danger, should we also enact a speed limit to slow everything down, make sure Ovie isn’t such a menace? That would really help the rest of the league, it’s unfair how the other guys can’t keep up.

Instead of listening to PJ Stock, let’s listen to a bright hockey mind: Ken Dryden. He has been advocating for years that players shouldn’t be allowed to hit a player who doesn’t have the puck. Period. Kind of like the NFL, where you can’t hit someone without the ball.

Right now, slow-footed thugs a step behind the play invariably hit the guy who just passed the puck, and that’s is against the letter of the law, but is accepted and characterized as “finishing your check”. The game would be much better if the thug couldn’t do so, his usefulness would disappear, skaters and skill players would become more valuable. Colton Gillies and Sean Avery and Raffi Torres would no longer be in the NHL, but lots of nifty players like Desharnais would now be in great demand.

So let’s start calling the rules the way they are laid out, you can only bodycheck someone with the puck, any other time it’s an interference penalty, and watch the game get faster, more exciting, with higher scoring, and greater safety for the players.

Mike Boone, make sure Shanahan gives me a call, I’ll spend ten minutes of my time to save hockey from the NHL.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with the equipment legislation. I think there should be no hard plastic in upper body gear for players (with goal-tenders being the exception) Also, I think the height and width of goalie pads, and the pant and shirt sizes should be greatly reduced, make the gear for protection and not to take up space!

As for football, you can ABSOLUTELY hit a player without the ball, that is called blocking.. they are typically the most explosive hits IE after an interception or on kickoffs….

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re absolutely right, I wasn’t precise enough. What I meant is that you cannot hit a quarterback after he has thrown a pass, or a receiver before he catches the ball. Those rules favour the offence and makes the game more exciting, the NHL should follow suit.

———————————
          “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• shootdapuck says:

A cup was Buttman’s thank-you gift to Jacobs for his fat contract extension!

Its as obvious as the nose on your face!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

11. Everlasting1 says:

Let’s go Mavs. Get’ er done. Dirk’s cough is better than the chokers :-P

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

12. habstrinifan says:

….Although Rome’s ban is four times longer than any suspension handed out in finals history, he hasn’t appealed it, hinting that he feels such a move is pointless. Rome said the NHL’s suspension criteria were “arbitrary,” and he doesn’t understand why the league ended his chance to skate for the Stanley Cup after a hit he believes was barely illegal…..

I like this Rome fellow. He is spot on re the arbitrariness of the league’s disciplinary rulings.

And they did deprive him of the thrill of playing in the series for what is ‘more of a hockey play’ that Chara’s was on Max. I saw where Murphy said that he observed that Rome had connected with part of Horton’s head. Murphy you are a deceptive a-hole. I watched the hit over and over and one of the irrefutable aspect oF the hit is that Rome took VERY deliberate care to deliver a clean hit without contact to the head and with his elbows and shoulders well tucked in and he delivered it with measured speed so as to not have it be charging or look like an attempt to injure.

The only reason Murphy gave Rome 4 games was because the Bruins had already stated that Horton would be out for the rest of the series

Hogwash league.

Dont worry Rome you will be hoisting the cup on Monday!!!

• habs-hampton says:

You are 100% spot on!

And NOBODY can convince me, the Jacobs-Bettman and Campbell-Campbell relationships doesn’t at least raise the possibility of bias and collusion. Campbell already removed any doubt of that with email incident.

• Bripro says:

I’m with you too. For Buttman and his cronies, at’s all about U.S. Television ratings. He gives a rat’s keester about Canadian hockey.

BOSTON (AP)Greg Beacham—Vancouver defenseman Aaron Rome(notes) wouldn’t change much about the hit on Boston’s Nathan Horton(notes) that got him suspended for the rest of the Stanley Cup finals.

Rome spoke Sunday for the first time about his finals-record four-game suspension after skating with the Canucks in practice heading into Game 6 on Monday.

“I’ve got to play on the edge, and I guess that was a little bit over the edge,” Rome said.

While Rome has sympathy for Horton, who’s out for the series with a concussion, he doesn’t feel he did anything extraordinarily dangerous in their fast, hard-hitting sport when he flattened Horton early in Game 3 last week. Rome said he sent a text message to Horton, but hadn’t heard back.
    FILE – This March 9, 2010, file photo shows Vancouver Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome before facing the Colorado Avalanche in the first period of an NHL hockey game, in Denver. Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton will miss the rest of the Stanley Cup finals with a severe concussion after he absorbed a blindside hit from Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome during Game 3 on Monday night, June 6, 2011. The NHL is scheduled to hold a disciplinary hearing with Rome on Tuesday.
    FILE – This March 9, 2010, fil…
    AP – Jun 7, 11:14 am EDT

NHL Gallery

“It’s a split-second decision,” Rome said. “There’s no intent to hurt anybody. If I could go back, obviously I’d wish he didn’t get hurt, but I don’t think I’d change the decision on the play.”

Rome delivered his hit after Horton made a pass near the blue line, leaving the Boston forward unconscious on the ice. Horton left the building on a stretcher, and the Bruins rode a wave of emotion to consecutive victories at home.

While Rome was vilified in Boston, his teammates jumped to his defense, claiming a four-game ban was excessive and unprecedented. Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault thought the hit was late, but remained supportive of Rome.

Although Rome’s ban is four times longer than any suspension handed out in finals history, he hasn’t appealed it, hinting that he feels such a move is pointless. Rome said the NHL’s suspension criteria were “arbitrary,” and he doesn’t understand why the league ended his chance to skate for the Stanley Cup after a hit he believes was barely illegal.

“I’ve got to step up. I’ve got to be physical,” Rome said. “That’s just part of my game. There has to be some accountability on the part of the player skating with the puck up the middle of the ice, maybe with his head down, not looking. If I had been half a second earlier, a quarter of a second earlier, I probably wouldn’t be in this situation.”

Rome understands why Horton might not be returning his texts, noting he felt similar emotions after San Jose’s Jamie McGinn(notes) boarded him from behind during the Western Conference finals, giving Rome an apparent concussion that forced him to sit out two games.

Rome had no significant history as a dirty player before this hit. The journeyman defenseman has played in 131 NHL games with three clubs over the past five seasons, bouncing up and down from the AHL before earning a full-time job in Vancouver this year.

Yet his hit inspired the Bruins. Before Game 4, Hall of Famer Bobby Orr waved a flag with Horton’s name and No. 18 on it during a stirring pregame tribute.

Horton’s injury was the most serious development in an uncommonly bad-tempered finals, which began with Vancouver forward Alex Burrows’ apparent bite of Patrice Bergeron’s(notes) finger, followed by related taunts from both teams. Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo(notes) also made headlines after Game 5 with comments deemed to be disrespectful of Boston goalie Tim Thomas(notes).

Vancouver leads the series 3-2 going into Monday’s game.

Rome’s absence has forced the Canucks to use every bit of their deep defensive corps. After veteran Keith Ballard(notes) replaced Rome in Game 4, Vancouver rookie Chris Tanev(notes) played splendidly in Game 5 as the Canucks pushed Boston to the brink of elimination.

Rome will be a spectator for the rest of June, but he’s still working up a sweat in the Canucks’ practices.

“You want to be a part of it,” Rome said. “Just because I’m not playing, I’m not going to mope about it and hide in a cave. It’s a way to relieve some stress and be part of it. … This is nothing that you want to go through, but it makes you stronger and makes you look on the bright side of things.”

14. TorontoHabsFan says:

Was just poking around capgeek.com and noticed that the Leafs have the money and the need for a puckmoving defenceman a la James Wisniewski….

ugh.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I posted before that I thought Burke will throw a ton of cash at the Wiz. We all know how Burke likes overpaid American defenceman.

• Sharks9 says:

That’s as terrifying as the thought that the Bruins might get him.

25 before 14

• habstrinifan says:

As long as PG signs Markov and adds a big steady reliable D-MAN (no offense needed) and a gritty forward or two.. it doesnt matter what the WIZ is cooking or should I say where the WIZ is cooking.

15. samTHEman says:

How cool would it be to see a brawl during the players handshake at the end of this series? Ofcourse for that to happen the Canucks would need to be the winners.

~Kiss my ass Lucic!!!!

• scrowe21 says:

The sisters and Burrows will probably dive during the handshake.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

just like douche Marchand and lurch will to. and watch for the scum like Horton and Lucic to take a shot at someones head at some point. Classy bunch that Boston team.

• Bill J says:

Horton better not be on the ice for the shake.

• Everlasting1 says:

It wouldn’t be right without Rome hehe

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

I wanna see the Bergeron/Lucic – Burrows handshake..they’d probably extend a finger or two.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• issie74 says:

SCROWE21 … See Bill J link above … priceless.

NorthTOHab

• secretdragonfly says:

I’d rather see everyone go by Marchand dusting off their hands.

16. HabFanSince72 says:

The Sedins getting blanked in the final series is being attributed to their Europeanness and lack of manliness,

However here are some interesting stats.

2010 final series.
    Jonathan Toews: 0 goals, 3 assists in 6 games.

2009 final series
    Sidney Crosby: 0 goals, 1 assist in 7 games.

The fact is that star scorers can be shut down in modern hockey.

• mike3131 says:

That’s where DEPTH becomes so important. The Hawks had Kane, Sharp, Bolland and Hossa who stepped up and the Pens had Malkin, Talbot and Staal.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

• OneTimer says:

Great observation, ’72.

And for what it’s worth, (finally) in Game 5, the Sedins played a great game. Even when held pointless.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Rollie Melanson should concern himself a bit more with how his instruction did Price no favours and that’s why he got the boot.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Bill J says:

So true, no coincidence that when Price arrived with his hybrid style… He had succes, then Rollie tried to convert him to the Butterfly…. Epic fail. Now since Rollie is gone…. Price back to Hybrid, and having success again.

Rollie should not try to change the talent, and focus on helping the player succeed at what he does best.

18. slychard says:

THX for the link BILL J U are right it is an excellent read. Love the truck driver who’s rig blows up comparison to Millbury… excellent analogy, still laughing. Thanks again BILL J

19. habs001 says:

plecks,gomez,gion,camm,ak46,eller,maxpac and darche are our starting 8 forwards…we have 4 starting positions left but we have pyatt,white,moen,dd,pouliot,halpern from last year , if we sign an ufa that pretty well elliminates any other player from making the team from training camp…it looks more and more that there probably be no changes in the habs forward line up for next year…if we do not bring halpern back we have to find a centre who can win key faceoffs…

I used to watch Milbury suck up to the late John Ferguson Sr. 20 years ago, when they both worked in the AHL for separate clubs.

Milbury and Cherry are leaches. They both ride the coat tails of players as a way of staying employed. At least Cherry was able to coach one of his players to a pay check.

21. Mike D says:

Given the recent departure of Boyd and Dawes to the KHL, Trotter coming back is a good thing for Hamilton. One less spot to fill.

- Honestly yours

22. Bill J says:

This link belongs up top, great read:

23. NCRhabsfan says:

On the Reusch article, his math is based on the Habs keeping Gomez on the roster. I think it is difficult to argue that doing so is a good business decision. In a world where the amount of money is finite PG has to get a minimum return on each dollar invested. 8 Million $ for 7 goals and some indifferent defensive play simply isn’t a good return on investment. I suspect there are a half dozen players in the Habs system that could produce those results given the same amount of ice time for a tenth the cost. I know the Habs can’t divest themselves of the whole cap hit that comes with Gomez’ contract, but I believe they can pull a Redden/Souray move and cut the hit by half if they DFA him. Isn’t that something you almost have to do if you’re PG? What would an additional $4 million in cap space permit him to do?

• Mike D says:

While most of us would agree that Gomez’s contract is the biggest anchor on the team, especially when you consider value-for-money, you can almost bet you @$$ he’ll start the season with the Habs (unless a magical trade is pulled off). They will give him the chance to redeem himself, especially with Max-Pac coming back.

We could buy him out but that would be a bad option as we’d still have a portion of his salary on our cap until the ’16-’17 season. The $’s starting from next season are 1.8mil, 3.8mil, 4.8mil, then 1.944mil for another 3 seasons. This is according to Cap Geek with a buyout date of Aug. 1, 2011.

The better option would be to put him on waivers. If another team picks him up (doubtful), they take him and his entire remaining contract with them. If no other team picks him up (likely), he remains part of our organization but would play in Hamilton getting paid his full salary. The advantage is that his salary is completely removed from our cap. The disadvantage if your Geoff Molson, is that you’re payng an AHLer top NHL money for the remaining 3 years of his contract.

Gomez becomes much more tradeable as early as the trade deadline, and certainly next summer when his cap hit is higher than his salary. Players/contracts like that are attractive to teams who just want to meet the cap floor.

- Honestly yours

24. Tony McLean says:

Sending us to a site which AVG says is a threat is regrettable.

25. slychard says:

According to Reusch the habs have 5 miilion to sign one more D… The Wiz perhaps, hopefully? That would be a scary fast mobile D. Spacek anyone? As for Millbury what does anyone posting here expect from him except complete bias when his bruins ate concerned. It’s a shame CBC have to hire ex bruins to telecast, who’s next Neely?

Looks like Ron Ruesch didn’t pay his bills on time.

• TomNickle says:

May have had something to do with the speed he’s been taking. He has some issues with his writing. Not exactly good at painting the picture.

27. habstrinifan says:

I_SAY_FIGHT and HABSFORLIFE 1959 here is the complete Ron Reusch article. You are responsible for any copyright litigation.

RON REUSCH’S ARTICLE IN FULL. You pay the copyright fees.

The Canadiens started their pre-July first signing period with around 28

million dollars in available cap space (assuming the cap rises, as

expected, to 62.35 million dollars).

The signing process is a chess game. Each contractual commitment

impacts on financial flexibility down the road. Like any chess master,

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier can not operate in the here-

and-now but how each contract will impact his negotiations four or five

moves ahead.

So far, Gauthier has committed 6.2 million to sign RFA Andrei Kostitsyn

and UFA’s Hal Gill and Mathieu Darche. That puts thirteen players under

contract, including defenseman Alexei Yemelin.

At any given time, the NHL roster limit is twenty-three but the

Canadiens traditionally have carried twenty-two. . Nine positions to

fill, including three defensemen, five forwards and a backup goaltender,

and. twenty two million available cap space dollars to get it done.

We can expect that Andrei Markov is going to take close to six million

of that. Josh Gorges should get Hal Gill money, around 2.25 million.

Alex Auld can expect the million dollars he earned last year or the

Canadiens will look elsewhere for a backup goaltender at the same price.

Max Pacioretty is a priority up front as a restricted free-agent. He’

ll cost another two million unless the Canadiens elect to go long-term.

Then maybe we’re looking at the type of three-year 3.25 million annual

deal Andrei Kostitsyn signed in 2008. For the purposes of this exercise

lets give Pacioretty two-million.

By these calculations, this unsigned group (Markov-Gorges-Pacioretty)

would command 11.25 million dollars, give or take, and would bring the

signed roster to seventeen.

Five roster positions to fill. One defenseman and four forwards.

Under our calculations, speculative at best, Gauthier would have

somewhere around ten million available dollars to fill out his roster.

How to spend the remaining money?

This isn’t carved in stone but, last season Gauthier opened the season

with 19 million dollars devoted to his defense; 35 million for forwards

and 3.75 million for his goaltending. Factoring in the expected three

million increase in the salary cap and sticking to his payroll ratios,

there would be thirty-seven million available for forwards (7 million

left for five forwards); 20 million for defense (13 million space to

sign three). After Markov and Gorges take up around eight million of

that, it leaves five million to sign one more, or part of that money

could be transferred to the budget for forwards.

Chess game? Absolutely. Boris Spassky would be proud.

Signed Forwards – (8-Total Salary 30.077 million dollars) Centres

Gomez, Plekanec and Eller. Leftwingers Cammalleri, Moen and Darche.

Rightwingers- Gionta and Kostitsyn.

Signed Defensemen – (4 – 7.942 million) Spacek, Subban, Yemelin and

Gill.

Signed Goaltender – (1 – 2.75 million) Price.

Unsigned Roster Forwards – Benoit Pouliot (RFA), Ryan White (RFA),

David Desharnais (RFA), Tom Pyatt (RFA), Jeff Halpern (UFA)

Unsigned Defensemen – Josh Gorges (RFA), Yannick Weber (RFA), Andrei

Markov (UFA); Roman Hamrlik (UFA), James Wisniewski (UFA), Brent Sopel

(UFA)

Unsigned Goaltender – Alex Auld (UFA)

28. Dintrox says:

7uongo should worry more about the 12 goals he let in in beantown rather than the 1 that got by timmy.

29. mike3131 says:

Why is Milbury on HNIC when he’s not even canadian?

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

30. habstrinifan says:

Lots happening with upper management throughout the organization.

The Hamilton SPEC piece on the new president for the bulldogs shows that he has hit the ground running

Good luck to him and maybe Hamilton hockey fans better imitate Winnipeg hockey fans and show more yearning for hockey while waiting for a possible team.

I pasted part of the article below which highlights some of the ideas they are considering to increase attendance. Imaginative.

“We want to explore Hamiltonians to the product again,” says team owner Michael Andlauer. “We want to get them into the house. It’s better to enjoy the game among fans than among seats.”

He has a bunch of other ideas, too. One involves cheaper, sit-where-you-want seats in the ends of the arenas so cost is never an issue. Another is a tie-in with concessions that gives fans a certain dollar amount to spend with each ticket purchased or even an all-you-can-eat section. He wants more fun theme nights, and more games on regular nights of the week so people know when the Dogs are playing. And then there’s the long-mentioned possibility of bidding for the AHL all-star game or something along those lines.

I wonder what tickets in the the all-you-can-eat section costs. Sounds like a perfect date night. If she stays thru my stomach noises then yours truly may do more scoring than the bulldogs.

31. nek25plus says:

Did Milbury not see the movie? They murdered someone and became the biggest bad _sses! Go brothers Sedin…show him what you can do!

Milbury is and always has been a moron!

32. habstrinifan says:

Ron Reusch has given a very good itemized breakdown of the contracts/cap issues PG is dealing with.

Of course, being a hockey maven of comparable stature to Dr. Recchi in neurology and Professor Milbury in Sweedish hermaphroditism, I HAVE to chime in. So here goes!

Travis Moen (should) no longer have a role on the club. He is, unfortunately just too pass his prime to be effective. He should either be traded or bought out. I know his salary isnt huge but any little bit helps. His duties would be shared between Ryan White and that HARD-NOSED GRITTY BIG utility forward PG is ‘very very close to inking’.

Alex Auld should not be offered a contract. Nice guy but in keeping with the youth movement time to get younger in the backup role or get someone who will be expected to play more games. Maybe a healthy Emery for around 800.00 before other teams grab him.

Pyatt also should be let go and replaced with one of our youths.
    Halpern… GONE too .. useful but we need more than useful for the cup run.

Let’s take a break and I’ll see you back here for more hockey wisdom.

• Mike D says:

I have and still do to a certain extent share these thoughts regarding Moen, Auld, Pyatt, and Halpern. Just for the sake of playing devils advocate here a bit, let me offer this:

*Disclaimer – I’m not saying we should keep all these guys, or even any of them necessarily. Just making a few points.

Moen – He’s in his late 20′s so I wouldn’t say he’s past his prime, but he hasn’t been quite as hard-nosed as we would have liked. He’s been our go-to tough guy but doesn’t fight that often, perhaps because he knows he doesn’t have much back-up on our squad. He is good at it though when he does. His 1.5mil cap hit could be used elewhere, but remember he also plays 1st unit PK with Pleks and he’s very very good at it. That, in combination with the size he brings to an undersized team likely makes him worth 1.5mil. If he could only take face-offs (and do so successfully) it would be great, but he’s a winger. He should never have been put on the top 6 and hopefully won’t be ever again.

Halpern – He’s in his mid-30′s so not a young guy, but not a grey-beard either. He’s really good at faceoffs and gives us a RH Centre and shooter which we needed (and still need). He’s also a good penalty killer and puts in an honest day’s work. For 600K, you can’t ask for much more. He started the year off really well, but unfortunately, averaged back down to what was to be expected from him points-wise. Not a huge guy but willing to battle along the boards and in the tough areas so he does bring some grit that way.

Pyatt – Young and very fast, seemingly with a playoff gear, but he has hands of stone. He comes cheap at 500K. Not really big, gritty, or physical, but he’s also good defensively and on the PK.

Auld – He’s 30, but the age of your back-up doesn’t really matter IMO. He seemed to mesh well with Carey so I’m okay if we keep him with 2 conditions. 1 – We offer him a bit less money, maybe 750K, and, 2 – he play more games. I know the $ savings are tiny, but still. His record was 6-2-2 with a 2.64 GAA and .914 SV PCT – not bad numbers actually. I know he had 2 stinkers but what do you expect from a guy who barely plays. I think he’s good enough to play 15 games or so. We might be able to get a better back-up for 1mil, but if the chemistry isn’t there with Carey or if he starts pushing for more playing time, it’s not worth it.

- Honestly yours

• Duracell3 says:

Agree with everything, although I’d like to see Auld/whoever play more games to let Price rest more, even if he is a horse. Although that also assumes we have a good enough team up front to allow for it and make the playoffs.

• Mike D says:

Yup. Pricey needs to have more rest so he can be fresh for the playoffs, and as I stated above, I believe Auld is good enough for 15ish starts. Carey’s young and he’s a horse, but no harm done of he’s a bit fresher come playoff time.

- Honestly yours

• habstrinifan says:

” It would be great if we could somehow combine these 3 players into one. All three have good work ethic, are good defensively and on the PK. Now take Moen’s cup experience, size/physicality and fighting ability, Halpern’s faceoff ability and RH shot, and Pyatt’s youth and speed. That would be an awesome bottom6/utility guy!”

And that MUST be PG’s big off season move. We need an impact forward of that ilk and I am sure one can be had. Rememebr he doesnt have to score 30 goals.. he just has to make others around him BETTER so that they score more.

• Mike D says:

Also, if PG were to go out and get Konopka as a lot of folks on HIO would like, he would make two of Moen/Halpern/Pyatt expendable.

- Honestly yours

33. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Hi, the Ron Reusch links didn’t work… even when I searched for them.

34. Everlasting1 says:

Had to share..everyone, meet Cage’s son, Weston lol

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

35. Un Canadien errant says:

Having Mike Milbury as an analyst on NHL broadcasts makes as much sense as having Matt Millen work on NFL games.

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• bel33 says:

As a Detroit Lions Fan (sort of like being a Leafs fan in hockey I guess) I got your analogy right away! Both were average players… and HORRIBLE executives. Therefore neither had any business talking (hired to?!?!) about the sport they used to play because they have obviously have NO idea when it comes to assessing players’ talent.

Also like others have said… Milbury was a Bruin. ‘Nuff Said.

36. The Cat says: