Government to honour Canadiens

The Government of Canada will pay tribute to the Canadiens tomorrow late afternoon in a Bell Centre ceremony before the Habs take on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Gary Lunn, Minister of State (Sport), will present a plaque to Canadiens president Pierre Boivin, marking the national historical signficance of the NHL’s oldest and most successful club.

The plaque will be installed in the Canadiens’ Bell Centre Hall of Fame. There will be no on-ice ceremony to disrupt the flow of the game, but a video will be shown on the scoreboard during a commercial break.

1. RetroMikey says:

Me thinks the Government of Canada should have honored the team last season on December 4, 2009.

Better late than never as they say.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

2. KenD29 says:

I hear my arteries begging for mercy now!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

3. Fred D says:

Thanks. I don’t see it when I go there. It is not a big deal anyway.

I get hungry when I see your picture. Where I live “poutine” is simply not available. Bad. We have to make it from time to time. When we go home every now and then, smoked meat and poutine are always high on the “hit” list”

cheers

4. shiram says:

You should try poutine au smoked meat then, its not something i eat often, but its pretty epic.

As for your member since, i dont know what to tell you, i use firefox 3.6?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

5. CERF says:

Mr. Stubbs,

hows life in the future?

” posted by Dave Stubbs at 11h30 EST on Nov 19 “  .. its 10:41 in my office!

6. Dave Stubbs says:

Cool, eh? Stuff appears an hour before I write it! Hey, next spring, we’ll be right.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

7. TommyB says:

I am so glad there is no on-ice ceremony, marking the historical significance of the NHL’s oldest and most successful club.  First of all, the game will be broadcast nation-wide since the leafs are involved, and viewers are likely to get confused since the leafs are Canada’s team.  Secondly, ceremonial distractions are not what the Habs need tomorrow night.  They need to be focused on beating a team that always cranks it up when they play Montreal.

8. Psycho29 says:

Could you post the winning Loto Max numbers tonight before I buy my ticket???

:-)

9. KenD29 says:

This could be the next installment of the “Back to the Future” movies.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

10. HabsFanInTampa says:

I’m so glad there’s no “on-ice-ceremony”, I have OIC burnout. Let’s keep the OIC’s for future Hab’s jersey/player retirements only AND of course hoisting Lord Stanley’s Cup.

11. Hobie Hansen says:

Too bad there isn’t a ceremony before the game in my opinion! It drives the Maple Leafs community nuts that the class and atmosphere during ceremonies in the Bell Centre makes similar events in their building look like crap.

“Mario Lemieux is a better hockey player with half a back than most guys is with full backs.” – Donald S Cherry

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember when we retired Patrick Roy’s number? The Leafs had to crash the party by honouring one of their ex-players (who was it? – Gary Leeman or someone like that I think) on the same night.

CBC duly gave us the two ceremonies on roughly equal footing.

13. secretdragonfly says:

The Honourable Gary Lunn, eh?  Isn’t this the same clown who proclaimed the Canucks as “Canada’s team” during our amazing playoff run?  Hope this sticks in your craw, Gary.

14. Dave Stubbs says:

That wasn’t Gary Lunn. It was James Moore.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

15. observer says:

Trying to buy votes! End of story!

16. Fred D says:

No matter the underlaying motivation, I suspect the Candiens will accept the plaque and install it in the Hall of Fame (which is a great visit, by the way) with quiet dignity.

Be sure that the CBC, and other media in the Toronto area will pick up the story,so a “big overdone deal” is not necessary, to make the point.

ie…. as it should be.

en avant mes braves!!

PS: How come my profile doesn’t say how long my membership has run,as is the case with other posters? Just asking.

17. shiram says:

But it does, it says : HI/O member for: 1 year 45 weeks

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

Hi Fred, I don’t see your length of membership either. And I do not know why. Leaving right after the Mtl. Flyers game Monday. Flying to Seattle from Syracuse.

19. avatar_58 says:

As if any REAL hockey fan missed the Roy ceremony

20. Dave Stubbs says:

CBC nationally showed the Maple Leafs honouring Tie Domi while the Canadiens retired the number of Bernie Geoffrion, who had died hours before the ceremony.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

21. Habscat says:

Maybe the Government should honour the Leafs for their remarkable consistancy for the past 43 years.