Gorges wins Beauchamp Trophy

gorges
Members of the media who cover the Canadiens have voted Josh Gorges winner of the Jacques Beauchamp Trophy for the 2011-’12 season.
The honour goes to a member of the team whose contributions have been under-recognized in the course of a season.
The honour is named in memory of Jacques Beauchamp, who covered the great Canadiens teams of the 1950s for Montréal Matin and, later, became the founding sports editor of the Journal de Montréal.
The media dining room at the Bell Centre also is named in memory of Beauchamp.

Gorges’ value has been recognized by Canadiens management, who signed the defenceman to a six-year contract extension at $3.9 million per season.

Gorges was obtained in the best trade Bob Gainey ever made as Canadiens general manager.

At the February deadline in 2007, the Canadiens sent Craig Rivet and a fifth-round draft choice in 2008 to San Jose for Gorges and the Sharks’ 2007 first-round  choice (22nd overall), which was used to draft Max Pacioretty.

The team announcement:

Members of the media covering the Montreal Canadiens voted defenceman Josh Gorges as the 2011-12 recipient of the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy. The trophy is awarded annually to the member of the Canadiens who played a dominant role during the regular season, without earning any particular honor. Gorges, who won the award in 2009-10, succeeds Roman Hamrlik who was the recipient in 2010-11.

Gorges received the most first-place votes in the race for the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, earning 140 points in the overall standings, ahead of forward David Desharnais (102 points) and defenceman Alexei Emelin (44 points).

A native of Kelowna, British Columbia, Gorges leads the Canadiens at even strength with a total of 1,447:44 minutes of play, averaging 18:19 minutes of ice time per game. He is first on the team and second in the NHL on the penalty kill with 303:56 minutes of play, an average of 3:50 minutes per game (third in the NHL). Gorges ranks second with the Canadiens in overall ice time, with 1785:49 minutes of play, averaging 22:36 minutes of ice time per game.

Gorges leads the Canadiens with a +11 plus-minus differential and ranks third on the team with 125 hits. He leads all NHL players with 243 blocked shots. Gorges is one of two Canadiens’ players to appear in all the team’s games this season, after missing Montreal’s last 46 games in 2010-11 with a knee injury.

The 6’1’’, 201 lbs defenceman played his 300th career game with the Canadiens on December 15 against Philadelphia. Gorges took part in his 400th NHL career game on December 22 at Winnipeg.

Created in 1981 to honor the memory of the legendary sportswriter who spent most of his professional career covering the Canadiens, the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy was first awarded to Doug Jarvis following the 1981-82 season.

Josh Gorges will be presented with the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy during a ceremony prior to Saturday’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre.

1. Desi says:

Hopefgully today’s news that we’re looking to talk to Bergevin is true. He’s the right guy for the job. He helped rebuild the Hawks, so he has experience doing that, and he helped them win a Cup, which we cuold use some of, too. Patrick Roy asked to leave MTL. We don’t need him back.

2. petefleet says:

So I’m watching NHL.com Live the other day and Gary Bettman is taking calls. People from all over the USA are phoning in and Gary is answering their questions and he’s not being a jerk to them. This leaves me to believe that what I always suspected is true. He hates Canadians and that’s why he is a complete ass when he’s interviewed in Canada by Canadians.
    The thing that really caught my attention was a fan called in about the draft lottery. Here’s what was suggested: If you finish last this year overall, you get a chance at the 1st overall pick. If you get that pick and finish last the next year, the best you can hope for is the 2nd overall pick. If you finish last again the following year, you can only hope to get the third overall pick as that is the 3rd year in a row that your team tanked. This would effectively eliminate teams like Pitt and EDM from building power houses through the draft. Here’s the interesting part. Bettman said “I like that idea but no one has ever tabled a suggestion like that. Very interesting. Thank you.”
    After I picked myself up off the floor, it all made perfect sense to me. There are 3 Canadian teams floundering near the bottom of the league and may be for years to come. Of course he liked the idea! It give the US franchises a better chance at getting the best picks in the draft.
    ******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

It probably hasn’t helped that the Canadian who has interviewed Bettman the most is Ron Maclean. His “tough” act doing the interviews was always a joke to watch. Ron would jump from topic to topic with no way of backing up his assertions and Bettman would get angry and smug.

Then when interviewed by a TSN host, Gary would get pure lip service since TSN gets its bread buttered (Scoops) from the league.

• petefleet says:

My main point may have got lost in my hate for GB. Doesn’t it shock anyone that GB acknowledged that the idea for a better draft lottery has never been tabled? He’s surrounded by hockey minds every day who I presume talk everything hockey.

******************************************

RGM
        ***Habs Forever***

• Habfan10912 says:

Bettman favors one thing and one thing only. Money. He could care less about the game or who wins or loses.

3. Dulljerk says:

No matter who is the coach and the GM next year, I think they Canadiens goal should be to at least reach mediocrity.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

4. BJ says:

I was thinking about this famous “big” centre we have all been dreaming about and I decided to look at Ryan Getzlaf’s stats. I was surprised to see that in 80 games he has only 10 goals and 45 assists. Our own DD 78 games with 16 goals and 42 assists. Plekanec 78 games with 16 goals and 34 assists. Lars Eller 76 games with 16 goals and 12 assists.

• The Cat says:

Id take him on my team. I think Getzlaf is having an off year and considering his age, its fair to assume this is a one-off as opposed to a regression. His shooting % since 05-06 is about 12%, this year its 5%.

• petefleet says:

Agree, there are better centres out there that Getzlaf. The price is extremely high though. I don’t think the centre position is as big of a deal when you have two brutes on your wing. Two 30 goal scorers is good compensation for your centres size.
      Question: How many more points / goals would 67, 51 and 72 have if Markov was anckoring the PP the entire year? Would there even be a question about whether the Habs had a #1 line?

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• piper says:

Yes, and I’d trade both Plek and DD for Getzlaf in a heartbeat. Don’t think the Ducks would though.

5. The Dude says:

Still laughing at my ol lady’s smug look when she seen the bi gendered Canadian pagent contender suing Trump and then I said” well ,don’t need girls anymore,lol!” She could get action out of croc dundie!

6. doug19 says:

Can things get any worse? YES!

7. The Dude says:

Max Lapierre heating up for another play-off’s scoring in overtime to put the Nucks in 1st place….another money player and hometown hero givin das boots by the No Minds at the Habs Helm!

8. matt jordan says:

I vote the Canadiens only draft the BEST french (or if options limited, bilingual) player with at least 100 PIM and 6 foot 4!! That will get the next HOMETOWN HERO.

Just as long as its the sixth of seventh round pick used. Draft a Russian or a Swede with the first pick at least.

9. H.Upmann says:

WTF does Milbury contribute to sports broadcasting? Do they keep him on just for some pseudo-shame factor

• matt jordan says:

The only thing I can think of is that Mike is used as an example to all other up and coming broadcasters of what NOT to do .

• Malreg says:

He unfortunately has a job because he gets people talking, and people tune in just to see what moronic thing he’s going to say next.

His comments get articles on TSN, Sportsnet, Yahoo, etc.

• Lizardking89 says:

He’s a moron in every sense of the word. He’s one of the biggest failures this sport has ever known so anything he has to say about hockey lacks any credibility whatsoever.

10. habs001 says:

habs 23rd most goals scored same position as last year…yet maxpac/dd/cole/ career years..plecks 16 goals ..he is not going to score that much more next year (maybe 6-7 more)..gion needs 20 goals just to match his and ak46 totals…eller maybe 4 more goals next year..and than there is borque..unless our draft pick makes an impact..and we sign or trade for an impact forward and gallagher explodes on the habs next years our forward lineup once again will be brutal in scoring goals…

11. vegas says:

how do you determine standings if 2 teams are tied in points
    I thought the team with most wins got the nudge, but I guess it isn’t since Oilers are 29th and Habs 28th.

Anybody know?

• nickster13 says:

The Oilers have played 80 games, and we have played 79 with the same amount of points, thats why.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• canada4l says:

At the end of the season if 2 or more teams are tied in points whoever has had more regulation+ot wins has the first tiebreaker. Shootout wins do not count in the tiebreaker.

• jols101 says:

And at the end of the season when all teams have played their 82 games if we are still tied with Edmonton the team that has the most wins not including shoot outs will finish ahead. This stat is reflected in the ROW column. Regulation and Overtime Wins. As it stands now Habs would finish 29th and Oilers 28th. They have the higher ROW…

12. FanCritic says:

Tough guys are great but they gotta have a little talent to go with it. we have some tough guys, with next to zero talent. Lucic is the best tough guy in the league, even if he gets beat up now and than. he can put the puck in the net. that’s the kind of tough guy’s I want on my team.

13. JohnBellyful says:

Here are my lines for tomorrow night’s game:

*********!!!!!!!!!*********

<<<<✓✓✓✓✓✓>>>>

…………^^^^^^^^……….

??????????????????

14. Dulljerk says:

Have another drink.
    No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

15. habstrinifan says:

Interesting chronolgy of events:

On March 21/2012: Reports first surfaced that Molson had met with Roy several times and that Roy was gonna be the coach of the HABS and Roy had selected two assistants from QJMHL. All that was left was to get ink to paper.. some details to worked out.

Period March 21/2012 to March 29th/2012 Roy becomes darling of the media(french) and excitement reigns. Roy answers many questions re this news. One very intriguing answer late in the week was a “it is something I would have to think about….”.

March 29th/2012… Molson fires Gauthier (officially relieving him of his duties which he may have done some time before… nuance is important.)

March 29th/2012.. Serge Savard is all over the airwaves as a specially chosen advisor to Molson in search for new GM. Remember it was only days before that Savard had given a scathing criticism of Canadiens re Quebec prsospects.

Today, April 03/2012 RDS reports that Roy had sought VETO power over all hockey operations.

Look at the chronolgy.. and do some deductive reasoning and questioning.

One question which someone like Boone or Stubbs can answer better than most of us here. How much of a relationship was there between Savard and Molson before .. … enough that they could see this coming??

My take:
    Molson did meet with Roy. Giddy with ‘boyish hero adulation’ and superficially impressed with the PR bonanza, he was indeed close to signing Roy.
    But as we all have speculated, Roy the ‘power’ personality drove a hard bargain.. he wanted to be the coach but also have ‘veto’ power over any moves by a figure-head GM.

When the reports came out and media glare was put on the move… the pros and cons became glaringly apparent to Molson. Who knows Molson maybe even was gonna keep PG and Gauthier as ‘figurehead GM’s. People wouldnt have ‘noticed’ as long as he had ROY out front driving the news coverage.

But Molson wised up. Picked up the phone and touched base with Savard… maybe on advice from???. Savard of course knew the pitfalls. Savard was the catalyst for the full blown and ‘sudden’ moves after.

PG… fired. Gainey gracefully pushed out. Savard becomes front and centre ‘the voice’.

Laugh and scoff at me now.

I distinctly remember being laughed at when I suggested ‘chemistry problem in the room especially with number 13). I remember some smarty pants posting “I guess you musta been in the room eh” Who was that. Bet you wont own up to it now.

So go ahead and laugh and scoff.

But mark this post. ROY will not be in any capacity with the Montreal Canadiens in the near future anyways. Not GM! Not Coach!

Go over the chronolgy. And again ask (and I hope Boone or Stubbs can answer).. who here saw Savard as becoming so integrally inolved before he went on air on March 29th/2012.

Interesting chronolgy.

OH Yeah….
    my next post will be a full expose of Roswell. I know you cant wait.

• Dulljerk says:

And another.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• ProHabs says:

Roy should be the next coach and he should have some power over the moves that are made. Roy would never want to go into Boston or Philly coaching the team of pussy cats that Gauthier, Gainey and Martin put together over the last 3 years. Roy has too much pride to watch his players get pushed around and have no push back at all. Things have gotten alittle better the last month with the addition of Staubitz but Roy would have never put a team of smurfs together.

16. JohnBellyful says:

I’ve tried, guys, honest, I have. For the past two weeks – or is it two months? – I’ve faithfully visited this site every day and worked my way through the myriad threads, many of them hundreds of posts deep. There’s been a lot of facts, figures and fantasies tossed out there and it’s been a real chore trying to cram all that information into this shrinking noggin but I think I’ve managed to sort things out, even at my advanced age.
    From what I’ve gathered the consensus choice among HIO habitués is that the Canadiens should select Claude Julien Brisebois as their first round pick, hire that hothead Nail Grigorenko as the GM, and pair him with Pierre McGuire as the coach because he’s known as an ice level-headed fellow (although there’s the risk he could go back to Russia), and trade Tomas Plekanec and Tomas Kaberle to Boston for Tim Thomas just for the H of it. Patrick Roy is to become the head trainer, Trevor Timmins will remain the head scout, and Cole, Pacioretty and DD will return next season as the team’s head line. Halak and Price will split goaltending duties, but with different teams.
    I’m pretty sure there’s more but my brain’s starting to cramp so excuse me while I go lie down.
    (I’m making notes from now on.)

EDIT: I believe this is the first time I’ve ever occupied such an exalted spot in the cue. Reminds me of that famous Cagney line: “Made it, Ma! Top of the thread!”

17. Cal says:

Beauty- Gooins lose AND Boychuk goes down after a “hockey play.” 2 for 1. Laffs losing in OT is a BONUS! :)

18. 69HABS says:

Miller lets in 5 goals & is lying on the ice at the end of the game on top of a player going all gaga. U think they won the Cup ….

19. C-Sword says:

It’s unbelievable that some Halak fans try to convince the world that Price is faking an injury.

20. Kimberly2u says:

Sabres have to be the luckiest team to come from behind and win

21. Mattyleg says:

Wayda suck, TO.
    Got your point to go ahead of us, and still let the Sabres in over the Caps.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

22. 69HABS says:

The friggin Leafs had a 3-0 lead & could not put the Sabres away.
    For F sakes …

23. frontenac1 says:

Oh Man! Looks like Asham busted Boychucks leg!

24. twilighthours says:

Johnny boychuck probably just tore his acl. It’s never good to cheer for an injury but…. I am cheering just a little.

25. Mr_MacDougall says:

@ Mattyleg RE the value of a big center vs big wingers.

The reason size is so important up the middle is mainly for 5 on 5 defensive purposes. Centermen get in many more puck battles per shift/game than wingers on a consistent basis, and all over the ice. In the defensive zone wingers often receive a pass along the boards from a battle won by a center. Not to say small players can not win battles, but bigger players that use their size will win battles based on that alone. Look at St Louis for example, their top 3 centers are all 6’4″+ and win many battles for the puck.

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, that’s a pretty good case, and I can definitely see how that would help defensively.

Problem is, lots of people think that they can help score more goals.
      I think it’s overemphasized amongst certain fans.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I would argue that size on the wings creates more offense, hard into the corners on dump-ins. Centers with speed seem to produce more offense because of their ability to quickly get to pucks in the offensive zone, particularly in sustaining pressure.

Two sides to every player attribute. I guess that is why the speed AND size of Patch and Cole is so valuable.

• Cal says:

Jean Beliveau, Pete Mahovlich, Bobby Smith. Nice centers to have because they could control the game. Mario Lemieux…

26. Kimberly2u says:

Its a Leaf and Sabre suckfest going on tonight

27. Clay says:

Wow! Great comeback by Buffalo! Great choke by the Leafs!

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Mattyleg says:

They seem to be unsuccessfully trying to outsuck each other.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

Indeed! Hard to separate the emotions from the intellect on this one. My head wants the Leafs to win, but the heart loves to see them fail.

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

28. Clay says:

Yay Toronto *choke, gag, spew*
    That was hard to say, but I did it! I must REALLY want that high draft pick.

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• naweed235 says:

it would be a shame if that pick is Grigorenko…

• Clay says:

Why?

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’d love that pick! Offensive center with size, why not?

• naweed235 says:

Out of all the players projected in the top 10 he is the only one that most pro scouts think is a bust… I suppose there is a reason behind that. There is a lot of talk about his effort level and willingness to compete against tougher opposition. I tried to watch as much videos and interviews of him to try to form an opinion of my own and while I am no psychologist, I gotta say he does not look like he is going to be that great. Don’t get me wrong. he is very skilled and has great size for his age, but just seems to lack that edge…
          Anyways that’s the way I see it. For all we know the guy can come in to the league and have 100pt seasons…

• Clay says:

I will admit that you know more about him than I. I just have to hope the Habs make the right pick – and if it’s Grigorenko he turns out to be the right one.

__________________________
            ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Other than one blip on TSN about his effort I have heard/read only positive things about him. Are you sure that “most pro scouts think he is a bust” ???

• naweed235 says:

@MacDougall, if you google it you will come up with at least 5 different reports on him from various sources… I would post the links for you but I imagine you are a big boy well capable of doing it yourself :)

29. D Mex says:

Less than a minute after giving PITT the lead (3-2), James Neal acquits himself very nicely in a dustup vs Ference. Well done …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

30. Mattyleg says:

Oh my God,
    I ALMOST felt bad for Phaneuf!
    He took a shot right in the middle of the chest, then one deflected off his chin, then the Sabres scored!
    Ha!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Bill says:

We have to talk about something … so this post is not anti-Desharnais, okay? It’s in defence of Plekanec, who a lot of yahoos on this site think should be traded.

The difference, in offensive stats, this year between Pleks and DD: 8 more assists for DD. They have the same number of goals. DD has 58 points, while Pleks has 50.

Everybody here who, like me, has watched every game this season knows the difference in their assignments this year. But the perception is that DD is now the number-one centre, while Pleks is trade-bait.

Silliness. No reason to trade Pleks. How he is only 8 points DD, who has played with a pair of 30-goal wingers all year, is beyond me. This guy needs some wingers of his own, and I am not talking about Bourque and Moen.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habsrule1 says:

Excellent point Bill. I have to admit, I hadn’t really looked at it that way, but it is pretty amazing that he’s only 8 points behind DD when you compare the wingers and Plek’s ice time short-handed.

Perhaps if our smallish top 2 centres are surrounded by guys of Max & Cole’s ilk, they can both do very well in this league.

Go Habs Go!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bill, there’s no question Plekanec is the better player, period. He could play with Cole and Pacioretty next year and have a career high in points.

Desharnais, Pacioretty and Eller down the middle as a whole is as weak and passive as it gets around the league though.

• Mattyleg says:

I think ‘weak’ is a pretty relative term that doesn’t take much into account.
        How do you define ‘weak’?
        Easy to knock off the puck?
        Have you seen Desharnais moving around behind the net? It’s like the puck is taped to his stick. Ever watch Plekanec take the puck into the other zone on the PK? He can hold the puck up against 3 players for ages.

I don’t really understand this fetish that some people have with the Big Strong Center. What’s the deal with that? Can’t we have Big Strong Wingers?
        Is there some kind of macho penis-measuring that some fans get into about Who Has The Biggest Center?

Like I said, I don’t get it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Uh, relax lol.

I was speaking more about our top centerman being 23rd in the league among centerman in points on a team that doesn’t score very much and are missing the playoffs.

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, I thought you were talking about physically. Because you used the word ‘passive’.
            And there are plenty of other people who seem to think that size is everything.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• naweed235 says:

I don’t consider P. Bergeron and Kreicji better 1 & 2s than DD and Pleks and we all saw the disgrace to hockey those 2 made possible last June. Wingers? thats another story

• jols101 says:

Bhahahahahahahahaha and hahhahah
            Talk about wearing the Hab colored sunglasses or drinking the Hab flavoured Koolaid…
            This is the most delusional post ever…

• naweed235 says:

@jobs101

P. Bergeron 2010-11 80g 22G 35A 57pts
            T. Plekanec 2010-11 77gp 22G 35A 57pts
            Both same type of players.

D. Kreiji 2011-12 76gp 23G 36A 59pts
            D. Desharnais 11-12 78gp 16G 42A 58pts

But don’t let the facts get in your way.

• jols101 says:

Well i guess quoting STATS proves everything.
            Bergeron was Team Canada’s best centerman at the 2010 Olympics a team DD wouldnt be allowed to fill water bottles for…
            Kreicji has the best vision and makes some of the most creative passes in the entire League …
            As a Habs fan i love Pleks and reserve the right to waite another season to pass judgement on DD, but they are no Bergeron and Kreicji…and again I am a 30 year die hard Habs fan, but i don’t let that distort reality…

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m with you jols101. Pleks and DD is not, and will never be an “elite” 1-2 punch at center. I prefer Pleks by a large margin out of the two.

• naweed235 says:

you are comparing DD with Bergeron and Kreicji with pleks where as you should look at it the other way around. Bergeron and Pleks are more or less the same type of players. they both kill penalties, and are the go to C in important defensive assignments. Kreijcji and DD are both offensive players and as much as I agree with you on Kreicji’s play making abilities, I consider DD one of the better players in the league as far as ice vision goes. and if you wanna put it that way Pleks was also the best C on his team during the olympics… Anyhow… I don’t think that it is “delusional” to say that the 2 pairs are comparable… + don’t forget the wingers those centers play with….

Horton, Lucic, Seguin and Marchand vs. cole, Maxpac, white and bouruqe?

• habstrinifan says:

Are you serious?

• D Mex says:

To your comment re : weak and passive down the middle, replace DD with a bonafide / full-sized # 1 center, and we take on a different complexion down the middle.
        In a non-Gomez world, $7.3M in cap space makes this entirely possible …

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m with you. Keep DD for next season, let him pad his stats and increase his value, and see if Crosby, Getzlaf, or J Stall become UFA in the summer of 2013. If any of those three can be signed, trade DD or Eller.

• naweed235 says:

agree 100% Bill. People tend to have a short memory when things are not going to their liking. I am not claiming to be an expert by any means but anyone with any hockey knowledge can see how valuable Plekanec is to this team. If god forbids he gets injured long term, only then people will see how much the team will miss him. In my eyes he is probably one of the few untouchables on this team. Any team that has had any success in the recent years is very deep on multidimensional guys like Pleky (Detroit comes to mind). Players like him don’t grow on trees… He is a great team mate, amazing hockey sense, cares about the Habs since he is a homegrown player and never seems to complain no matter what shltty assignment he is given. Like you said, give him some decent wingers and he’ll put up 60+ pts every year.

• zorro says:

Nothing to talk about, Pleks isn’t going anywhere. Its unfair to compare these 2 players by 1 season stats. Look at Pleks numbers over the last 6 seasons, look at Pleks playoff numbers. Pleks is a role player a naturally gifted defensive player, the stuff thats hardest to teach, great on the PK. It would be a shame to lose him, or give him away. He also misses few games, which is rare for a Euro.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Actually Bill, the trade Pleks people may actually be complimenting Pleks in their own way. They seem to be saying that if we want certain kinds of assets, then Pleks is the best trade bait we have since Price, PK and Pacs are pretty well off limits.

I believe they see him as one guy whom we could lose in order to get a good return. Mind you, in my books, it would have to be a very good return. I would want to feel that we won the trade.

It’s not about discarding the guy. At least that’s not how I look at it. I admit that others may be seeing it differently.

• TomNickle says:

I actually don’t believe that Plekanec should be traded because of this season. I think he should be traded for a different reason. This team has placed first in the East with him as its #1 centreman, it has gone to the conference finals with him as its #1 centreman and it has developed him and seen him hit his prime. He has not shown an ability to elevate his game to this point when the chips are down.

It’s very likely that this team has gotten the most that it ever will get from Tomas Plekanec and if a culture change is the number one priority he and veterans like Andrei Markov, Josh Gorges, Tomas Kaberle, Scott Gomez and perhaps even Brian Gionta should all be traded.

That’s if a culture change is needed.

• boing007 says:

Hear! Hear!

Richard R

32. habbernack says:

I wouldn’t be adverse to a Roy, Damphousse combo although I like JB as the gm

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

Get out to a Junior A hockey playoff game! Boys! If you are missing good hockey.

34. punkster says:

Too cold to golf yet. Playing PGA Tour 10.
    Sooo bored.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

35. HabFab says:

I’m sorry but go Sabres!

36. Mr_MacDougall says:

Do you know what grinds my gears?

There is almost nothing to discus about the Habs.

Blah Blah GM Blah Blah Coach Blah Blah Tank.

37. Mattyleg says:

I’ve watched a few games recently and come to a conclusion:
    No teams look particularly good.
    Honestly.
    This is the ‘age of parity’?
    Well, talk about the lowest common denominator.
    Everyone is equally mediocre.
    Too many teams, too many games, too many players, and we have pretty tepid hockey.
    Lots of drifting, lots of mistakes, lots of blah.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. Habfan10912 says:

Let the gooning begin. Pens up 2 zip.