Gorges wins Beauchamp Trophy

gorges
Members of the media who cover the Canadiens have voted Josh Gorges winner of the Jacques Beauchamp Trophy for the 2011-’12 season.
The honour goes to a member of the team whose contributions have been under-recognized in the course of a season.
The honour is named in memory of Jacques Beauchamp, who covered the great Canadiens teams of the 1950s for Montréal Matin and, later, became the founding sports editor of the Journal de Montréal.
The media dining room at the Bell Centre also is named in memory of Beauchamp.

Gorges’ value has been recognized by Canadiens management, who signed the defenceman to a six-year contract extension at $3.9 million per season.

Gorges was obtained in the best trade Bob Gainey ever made as Canadiens general manager.

At the February deadline in 2007, the Canadiens sent Craig Rivet and a fifth-round draft choice in 2008 to San Jose for Gorges and the Sharks’ 2007 first-round  choice (22nd overall), which was used to draft Max Pacioretty.

The team announcement:

Members of the media covering the Montreal Canadiens voted defenceman Josh Gorges as the 2011-12 recipient of the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy. The trophy is awarded annually to the member of the Canadiens who played a dominant role during the regular season, without earning any particular honor. Gorges, who won the award in 2009-10, succeeds Roman Hamrlik who was the recipient in 2010-11.

Gorges received the most first-place votes in the race for the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, earning 140 points in the overall standings, ahead of forward David Desharnais (102 points) and defenceman Alexei Emelin (44 points).

A native of Kelowna, British Columbia, Gorges leads the Canadiens at even strength with a total of 1,447:44 minutes of play, averaging 18:19 minutes of ice time per game. He is first on the team and second in the NHL on the penalty kill with 303:56 minutes of play, an average of 3:50 minutes per game (third in the NHL). Gorges ranks second with the Canadiens in overall ice time, with 1785:49 minutes of play, averaging 22:36 minutes of ice time per game.

Gorges leads the Canadiens with a +11 plus-minus differential and ranks third on the team with 125 hits. He leads all NHL players with 243 blocked shots. Gorges is one of two Canadiens’ players to appear in all the team’s games this season, after missing Montreal’s last 46 games in 2010-11 with a knee injury.

The 6’1’’, 201 lbs defenceman played his 300th career game with the Canadiens on December 15 against Philadelphia. Gorges took part in his 400th NHL career game on December 22 at Winnipeg.

Created in 1981 to honor the memory of the legendary sportswriter who spent most of his professional career covering the Canadiens, the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy was first awarded to Doug Jarvis following the 1981-82 season.

Josh Gorges will be presented with the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy during a ceremony prior to Saturday’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre.

1. Mr_MacDougall says:

Say what you want about Don Cherry, some like him, some do not, but I have yet to hear a person say they are a Mike Milbury fan. He should be fired from CBC, no reason Canadian tax payers should support an American idiot.

• Habfan10912 says:

He works for NBC too. Can we show solidarity and banish him from all networks in the US and Canada? He can work for his beloved NESN in between fighting 10 year olds. Together we can accomplish great things.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Cherry. like a clown at the circus, at least is ‘entertaining’ and colorful
      …He has certain redeeming features that serve a purpose
      …but Milbury, is an inconsequential unpleasant nonentity that leaves Me wondering each time He is imposed on Me, exactly WHAT ??? purpose does He serve
      …I think CBC serves a purpose for Canada We will only realize one day when it no longer exists
      …but CBC imposing and perpetuating the likes of a purposeless obnoxious Milbury on an iconic program like HNIC leaves Me angry
      …Milbury panders to the absolute lowest common denominator

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
      _________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

2. HabFab says:

Wow! Just wow! What a group of villains starring in this sitcom!

I had to stop watching after seeing Rene Rancourt, but before i could hit stop I saw Jack Edwards. Just about broke my computer, why would you provide that link? :)

3. habsfan0 says:

3-0 Leafs. If they win tonite, they’ll be 6 points up on Habs, who have 3 games left. I believe Habs can’t pass them now in standings,based on season’s series results between teams.

4. Mattyleg says:

Ha!!
    “The Sabres are rattled.”

…I’m sure he doesn’t even know what he did there…

5. Mattyleg says:

So, gang, what do I watch?
    Boston-Pitt
    or
    Tor-Buf?

6. Habfan10912 says:

Looks like the Leafs didn’t receive their tank orders. 2 – 0. LEAFS

Randy Carlyle now has Mat Frattin fighting, next years Leafs are going to be a complete rerun of Slapshot!

Would love to see Buffalo beat out Washington for playoffs, but would prefer to do so it requires OT or Shootout to beat Toronto tonight ;-)

9. Mattyleg says:

There was an old burnout who lived with a shoe,
    He had so few braincells, he didn’t know what to do;
    He made some bad trades and some comments not cool,
    That’s what NBC gets for hiring a fool.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

In case you needed more proof Mike Milbury is a moron, interesting article in Wall Street Journal and how Charles Wang and Company are treating Pat Lafontaine these days.

Milbury truly is less valuable than a cockroach.

11. HabFab says:

Noticed that the Ontario Teachers Pension made $11 billion last year, but they need more, so that means “status quo” for them there Leafs :)

Makes zero sense that Teachers sold the Leafs and the rest of MLSE no greater cash cow they could own. Bizarre.

• HabFab says:

Not as much as your pointing that out to me…dah! Must not have been important to me at the time :)
        “shakes head and walks away muttering”
        Actually knew of those two buying, but thought for some reason the Teachers had kept majority control.
        Martha!!!!!!!!!! Get me an appointment with Dr Freud!

12. matt jordan says:

The Montreal Canadiens’ application form for the vacant GM job

Okay just got back from Golfin’ did we hire a GM yet and if so, is it the same guy that said Milbury would be a good coach?

14. Adidess says:

RDS reported a moment ago that Marc Bergevin and Pat Brisson have been contacted by Habs management for the GM position (as per Pierre Lebrun)

Don’t know how good a GM either of these two would be for us, but I am sure glad to hear the pool of candidates is rather wide.

Heard a very disturbing chatter on RDS earlier, spearheaded by Gaston Therrien. Apparently Patrick Roy has expressed desire to get a veto on hockey decisions with the Canadiens. He’s also been reaching to junior/minor league, assist Nhl coaches he would want as his own assistants. I’m on the fence with Roy as coach, but I really don’t want an inexperienced head coach to arrive in Mtl with plenipotentiary attitude. Again, it’s if what the RDS guys were saying is true. I don’t want it to be a foregone conclusion that we’re going to hire Roy as coach. Let’s go through the process, please!

Pat Brisson could equal Sidney Crosby, that has to be worth something.

• habsfan0 says:

According to Damien Cox:

“So here’s the grand conspiracy theory.

Pat Brisson, super agent to the stars, becomes the new GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

His star client, Sidney Crosby, follows him as a unrestricted free agent to the Habs in the summer of 2013. You know, the same Montreal team that drafted his father, Troy.”

Interesting, at the very least.

• habstrinifan says:

Hey Adidess,
      Also heard Pierre Lebrun say same on TSN990. LeBrun made sure to indicate that these were two names he heard had been contacted (I think he mentioned another name from outta the blue), but in NO WAY did that mean that these WERE THE ONLY PEOPLE contacted for possible interviews etc.

Re
      “Apparently Patrick Roy has expressed desire to get a veto on hockey decisions with the Canadiens. He’s also been reaching to junior/minor league, assist Nhl coaches he would want as his own assistants”.

This seems to support the recent magazine article re discussions between Roy and Molson and the speculation that Roy and two Quebec league coaches/employees were gonna be the coaching team.
      I dont think it is a coincidence that once that article became public and Roy in an interview said “I would have to think about it” or something like that…. I dont think it is a coincidence that the news of Savard being ‘hired’ by Molson to help out came out after that magazine article.

There may have been discussions between Roy and Molson.. and Molson smartened up after the ‘demands’ from Roy and decided to get get help from Savard.

Does anyone know the name (Chuck) Wilson. Is he someone in the MTL organization. I think I heard Pierre Lebrun say that (Chuck) Wilson said that this entire process will be done slowly deliberately and with the right amount of confidentiality and secrecy. I am hoping I heard correctly because Saavrd/Molson and 1 more person to me is a better team than Savard and Molson alone.

Would love feedback from anyone who reads this re my deductions.

• HabFab says:

Goggled Chuck Wilson and a sports writer for ESPN. Can’t see him having anything to say, let alone do with this. On second thought, doesn’t Lebrun also write for ESPN. End result… sounds like nothing more then a couple of writers talking.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks. As I indicate I “thought” I heard the name Wilson. I am doing some googling too to see if I see anyone who could be ‘connected’ to this GM search. Why my ears perked up is because I would have greater confidence in a superb choice not ‘dominated by the usual Montreal issues centricity if I knew that at least a third party was involved with Savard and Molson.

• HabFab says:

I really can’t see anyone but Molson at the end of the day making the choice. He will listen to Savard but it is his hockey club, his choice, his man.

15. Mr_MacDougall says:

Somebody should kick Milbury in the nuts and capture it on video.. 10 million youtube views guaranteed

16. naweed235 says:

besides the fact that we are Habs fans and have the tendency to think that our guys are the best (although probably not the case this year), do we have any solid basis of assuming that Pricey gets paid more than $5.5 M for say 5 yrs? He’s had decent numbers but nothing too crazy… he’s been solid at times and shaky at others. His only NHL accomplishment is 1 playoff series won. so again, do you think he will get paid more than that? Nothing against him, but I think the Habs or any team for that matter should never blow up the bank on a goalie whoever it may be. Goalies are commodities these days and ones that can get the job done, can be had for cheap. (Elliot, Biron, Smith, Garon etc.)

• LafleurGuy says:

Tell this to Brian.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I would not want any of the 4 goaltenders you mentioned as a starter.

His ONLY NHL accomplishment was 1 playoff series won? Are you Kidding?

Three time NHL All Star (In 5 seasons)
      Habs player of the month many times.

I do think that 25 mill over 5 years is a fair deal for Carey.

• naweed235 says:

let’s not kid ourselves here… All Star and Molson cups are worth nothing more than those bravo stickers your primary school teacher used to put on your homework. Heck Kommisarek is an all star

• Propwash says:

It was also a fan voting gimmick that year.

_____________________________
          “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
          Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• LafleurGuy says:

And…..Carey is hardly the age of say, Brodeur or Roloson. He’s 7 months older than Reimer, younger than Gustavsson and Ben Scrivens. Pierre Lebrun two weeks ago gave the answer that Montreal is in better shape for the future than Toronto because they have Price. But then again, why listen to experts? McGuire sure gets raked over on this site.

We need input from yesterday’s “why the hate?” poster.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• naweed235 says:

I find it almost offensive that you are comparing Mtl to Toronto and coming out with the satisfaction that we have a better goalie than they do. I don’t know about you but I like to hold this team to higher standards than the laffs

17. frontenac1 says:

Yes he did fight in Kingston and won more than he lost.

18. Un Canadien errant says:

Here’s a vote of confidence from the Vancouver Province’s “Legion of Blog”:

“I endorse Pierre McGuire for Montreal Canadiens general manager. Not only does he try to pronounce the names of French players correctly, but it would take him off the airwaves. We’d be able to have some dead air every once in a while while watching a hockey game.”

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

19. The Dude says:

If I were the new G.M. ,I would package Gorges,Borques,Gionta and Kaberlay for a real deal superstar like Nash.

20. punkster says:

Further to the Milbury apology…funny that he would use any phrase containing the word “shoe”.

There once was an asshole named Milbury
    Whose career as a GM was quite scary.
    The Isles he degraded,
    By the stars that he traded
    And of his shoe MSG fans were wary.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

21. rogieshan says:

Should he retire at the end of the year, Saku Koivu would be a great addition to the coaching staff of this team running the PP & PK.

• krob1000 says:

I would argue he would be a great 4th line center/pk guy and guy who could temproarily fill a void if one of the other centers went down with injury. He would also be a leader that would command instant resepct, finish his career where he shuold have been all along and it would make a perfect ending to his career…won’t happen but I would like to see it.

• rogieshan says:

Yes, if ownership is serious about restoring its pride, then repatriating Koivu back here in any capacity would be a step in the right direction. If the Canucks gets knocked out early in the playoffs, Vigneault could be looking for a job. Would you rehire him?

• krob1000 says:

I would love to see it….I don’t know about Vigneault. I think I am sold on Roy at this point.

• Kooch7800 says:

I hope he doesn’t ever come back to Montreal. I always liked Koivu and he deserved better than how he was treated. Bashing him cause he doesn’t speak French in the media constantly when he could speak English and Finnish…cut the guy some slack. he worked his rear end of for this team and the city and got shit on constantly. I am sure he is under a lot less pressure now and is just as happy cause he is playing with a good friend in Teamu.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• HardHabits says:

That and he can take back number 11.

• Habfan10912 says:

Not to sure if he’s coach material but organization should find a place for him somewhere.
      Dear Maguire- This is couragous. Not cross checking someone from behind on from behind on their way to the bench.

Good god I am bored.

23. frontenac1 says:

Stormin; You are correct with the Gudbradson vs White tilt. I remember him playing for the Frontenacs.The kid is huge with great skills.He is only 20yrs old and drafted 3rd overall.He also was on the Canadian junior team.Would look good in a Habs jersey.Still love White for showing the moxie!

• Stormin says:

Loved him on Team Canada, you are right he would look great in Habs Jersey and I did not know about his ability with his fists, did he fight much in Kingston. Florida has A keeper in Gidbranson great hard shot from the point as well. White looked over matched in that tilt he has to be a little more careful in his fight selections if he wants to last a full season

24. HabFanSince72 says:

One of the arguments against Patrick Roy is that he’s a hothead.

Yes, he did blow up on occasion, but what I remember most is a guy who was extremely focussed and professional.

he was no Ron Hextall or Billy Smith.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• krob1000 says:

I am 35 years old…the person I relate the most to success with the Habs is patrick Roy, my best Hab memories? Roy. My worst Hab memory…trading Roy and then him hoisting a cup the next year…and then again a few years later. When I think Roy…I think Stanley Cup….

25. JoeC says:

He was right about Crosby though, has done so pretty cheap hits and gets away with it and takes a late, yes late, cross check and whines, he did hit schene first and it was borderline cheap.

Yes, but you’re still an asshole.

27. habsfan0 says:

Here in Ontario, the provincial NDP is asking the electorate to go online and offer their opinion as to whether the NDP should or shouldn’t support the governing minority Liberals’ recently unveiled budget. If the NDP doesn’t support it en masse, the province will be thrown into a 2nd provincial election within a 6 month period.

If something as important as this can be decided by online voting, then why can’t the Habs ask their fans who THEY would like to see as GM?

Wouldn’t hurt just to ask.

28. LafleurGuy says:

Upon further review…..there was a kicking motion…..but hell the guy’s a Bruin, good goal! Sorry, the mind tends to wander. Read up more on Alex Pietrangelo who was rated the no. 1 Future Watch prospect in 2010. Also did some cursory analysis of the 106 points St. Louis Blues. Well, Pietrangelo is their no. defenceman and is paired with Kevin Shattenkirk. They so far have 12 and 9 goals respectively and a pile of assists each. The Blues have only one 20-goal scorer, David Backes, with 24. Meanwhile, 7 others are in double-digits and 2 others have 9 goals. I forget who plays goal for them.

It seems teams like the Canadiens, Leafs, Lightning, and the Flames have some prominent goal scorers, and then teams like the Blues and Red Wings have tremendous balance. Johan Franzen leads the Red Wings with 26 goals. Hudler, Filppula (note the spelling), and Zetterberg have scored more than 20. Pavel Datsyuk is fifth on the team with 18 goals, and third with 54 points. Tomas Plekanec’s stats are not far off from those of Datsyuk’s, and I hope the Canadiens’ fanbase, that spans from Shanghai, to Australia, to European places to Buena Vista, and Vancouver Island has a deeper understanding of hockey skill than other fanbases. Gorges was a worthy recipient but Plekanec would also have been an excellent choice.

“May you live in interesting times.”

29. pmaraw says:

so… how is montreal in 28th? edmonton has more ROW’s 27 to mtl’s 24, also they have more wins than montreal, wtf is this???

30. Dr.Rex says:

My final rant about CBC:

The thing that seems to be happening quite often when it comes to Habs bashing on CBC is that RON MACLEAN seems to really enjoy teeing up a rant agAinst the Habs by instigating one of the tools (Milbury, Stock, Cherries).
    MacLean will give a loaded question to one of these guys and make it real easy for them to say something negative and putrid about our team. Ron really seems to have generated a complete arrogance about himself and his recent debacle with Burke seems to have unleashed this perhaps. HE dispises the habs and he gets self worth knowing that us fans watch him rub one out on us and our team with no chance at rebuttal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d love to see the CBC hire a couple Ex Canadiens players or coaches from the 70s to come on their show and debate topics with Milbury, Cherry and Stock.

It is repulsive how millions of Canadians, many who aren’t as well informed or follow hockey as closely as posters like us do, listen to the CBC on Saturday and think they’re tuning into a solid news source on the current developments in the NHL.

I don’t mind Cherry, when he sticks to hockey he’s usually right and people know he hates the Habs because they’ve beaten him so many times.

But Milbury and a couple others despise Montreal and take cheap shots at the team and there’s nobody there to argue the ridiculous comments. The majority of people on air for the CBC are Leafs or Bruins supporters that take pleasure in kicking the Habs when they’re down.

Give it a couple years and the Habs will be smacking the Bruins around in the playoffs and the Leafs will still be trying to make the playoffs. Can’t wait to see the looks on their faces at CBC.

31. LafleurGuy says:

Stumbled across an issue of an “Older Testament,” aka THN Future Watch 2010. In descending order the projected top ten prospects for the Habs were P.K. Subban, Danny Kristo (!), Louis Leblanc, Ryan White, Yannick Weber, Joonas Nattinen, Mac Bennett, Cedrick Desjardins, and Ben Maxwell.

The Newer Testament had this list: Nathan Beaulieu, Louis Leblanc, Jarred Tinordi, Brendan Gallagher, Aaron Palushaj, Michaeil Bournival, Andreas Engqvist, Alexander Avtsin, Danny Kristo (9th), and Patrick Holland. 2012’s seems to be the stronger group.

Some notables from 2010 projections, Kadri was 13th overall, Eller 46th, Subban 17th, Kristo 35th, Leblanc 41st.

Other notables, Alex Pietrangelo 1st, Jonathan Bernier 15th, Cory Schneider 20th, Joe Colborne 23rd, Tyler Ennis 29th, Logan Couture 36th, Jared Cowan 38th, Colten Teubert 48th.

The cream of the 2010 “crop” (the players are anywhere between 19 and 24 years old) appear to be Cory Schneider, Brayden Schenn (10th), Tyler Ennis, P.K. Subban, Jordan Eberle (6th), and Jared Cowan.

For the Ottawa Senators to have drafted Jared Cowan, who is 21 and amazingly polished playing defence as a behemoth at 6’5″, 230 lbs., and Erik Karlsson in consecutive drafts explains to me why they improved so much this year. Pretty well all the pundits in the pre-season had them finishing out of the playoffs. Jared Cowan could very well be a modern day Larry Robinson. Was it Brad Staubitz or Ryan White that Cowan tossed around in a recent fight?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Phil C says:

The emergence of Cowan as a regular NHLer earlier than expected also made Runblad expendable, which they turned into Kyle Turris, which shows the importance of having depth among your prospects.

Cowan also dropped out of the top five in his draft year due to a knee injury, similar to Galchenyuk this year potentially. Ottawa got him 9th. Toronto would probably take a do-over on that, as they drafted Kadri 7th.

32. Habshire says:

TSN has a poll for new GM. If HIO is contemplating a similar poll please make the list longer.

33. Bripro says:

I hereby officially withdraw my support for Pierre McGuire!
    I have no body guards left…they’ve all run off, and my bullet-proof vest ain’t holdin’ up so well!

34. New says:

I think the NHL PA should track and capture all this fan and media Montreal GM chatter and include a clause in the next CBA that every league GM should read every word of it before annual contract negotiations with the players or agents. I think they would find it very humbling and approach the negotiations differently.

• RGM says:

I think they would find it a spectacular waste of their time.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

35. petefleet says:

I don’t think I was excited for the 2011-12 season to start. I was a little fearful that it wouldn’t go well. I did not expect 28 or 29th overall in April though and I don’t imagine anyone else did either. Looking forward, with new energy in the front office and some new faces to go with the core players, including Josh Gorges, I am excited for next year. Patches could get 40, Cole 35, Pleks 25+, DD 80 pts, Bourque 25+, LL 15 or 20. Lots to look forward to. Markov on the back end, healthy, with PK on the PK. Those two could easily be in the 40+ pts category. Obviously the above is pie-in-the-sky, but you gotta like the potential of this team after some key aquisions solidify the bottom 2 lines and #5 and 6 Dmen.
    No worries about Carey and I vote Vokoun gets signed as a back up. give Carey 60 and Vokoun 22.
    Go Habs Go 2012-13

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

• RGM says:

Bourque gets 25?? I know that your signature statement is true and your guess is as valid as anybody’s, but that’s really really optimistic.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• shiram says:

He’s done it twice before, and he’s got 18 this year, it’s not so far-fetched.

• petefleet says:

Not knowing exactly why his effort died off when he came to MTL, I am hopeful that a nice long summer will rekindle the fire that produced 27 goals twice. Optomistic….maybe but at we know he can do it if he wants to. I wouldn’t put him in with AK46 yet, not that anyone did, it just came to mind.

******************************************

RGM
        ***Habs Forever***

36. 44har48 says:

I grew up as a kid watching CBC HNIC…my fondest memory, and it might be a bit fabricated at this point :), is Guy Lafluer netting a hat trick, or at least 2 of the 3 goals the Habs scored in the third period to win a game in the late 70’s. My bedtime on a non-school Saturday night was 9pm so I had to sneak the radio on like 88.7fm or something to listen to the end of the game.

Anyways, CBC, YOU HAVE RUINED MY BELOVED HNIC!!!!!!!!!! JERKS!!!!!!!!!! TORONTO/BOSTON LOVING GOONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watch an american team (I’m from the US) play the Habs on CBC (not Crosby or Brodeaur either) and all I get is the game called from the other teams perspective??????

CBC, YOU ARE DISPICABLE AND IT’S DISGUSTING YOU LOVE BOSTON SO MUCH!!!!!

…thanks folks, I feel a whole lot better now and more productive.

37. Chris says:

My last sojourn into the McGuire morass (I promise)…

Time and time again, he is brought up as a great GM candidate because he knows his prospects. Some rebuttals to this…

Pierre McGuire attends 2 games per week for Versus/NBC and spends a third night working their studio. He has radio appearances scheduled throughout the day. He also does a significant number of promotional appearances for Versus/NBC and works as a motivational speaker.

He took the NBC/Versus job so that he could spend less time on the road for TSN (he claimed it was anywhere from 220-240 days per year) and more time supporting his wife and two children (both of whom are very active in sports).

When exactly does Pierre McGuire have time to actually attend junior hockey games, an absolutely basic requirement for anybody that is supposed to be an expert on draft-eligible players? How many trips has Pierre McGuire made to Europe to see the top European prospects (such as Filip Forsberg and Sebastian Collberg in Sweden) play?

As far as I can tell, Pierre McGuire’s vaunted knowledge of junior players comes from his TSN coverage of the entry draft and the World Juniors tournament. I find this puzzling…the World Juniors is primarily a showcase of 19 year olds, i.e., players who have already been drafted. The few times that 18 year olds actually make the roster of one of the perennial contenders, they are such can’t miss prospects that most of us already know about them (such as will be the case for 17 year old Nathan MacKinnon next year, I suspect). And even here, I absolutely guarantee you that each of the individual Hockey Federations have provided the media with packages about each of the players, including both biographical information and video of the player. The federations know that it is in the best interests of everybody involved to present as polished a product as possible about these kids. Add in that McGuire and the other analysts get significant information from NHL scouts and general managers and you’ve got all the background data required to sound extremely knowledgeable.

Regarding the draft, analysts around the league are being fed a lot of information from the professional scouts (including the NHL’s own Central Scouting Service) as well as the junior teams that have a vested interest in seeing their players drafted as high as possible.

I give McGuire a lot of credit for his attention to detail, hard work and knowledge of the game. Nobody can dispute that he puts in the effort and is a smooth communicator.

But the argument that he knows prospects inside out is absolutely farcical. If you’re not watching players in game situations on a regular basis, you simply haven’t got a clue as to how those players are going to turn out. Ryan Callahan put up 28 goals and 54 points in 60 games as a 19 year old in the OHL, yet I could absolutely guarantee you that he would be a far better OHL player than Rob Schremp, who had 41 goals and 90 points in 62 games that same season because Callahan put forth 100% effort on every shift in every game, while Schremp spent 95% of his time floating through the games and benefitted from Corey Perry’s dominance.

Take away the access to every team’s professional scouts (they surely aren’t giving their insider information to a rival team’s general manager the way they might to a TV analyst) and I seriously question McGuire’s prospect credibility.

• 44har48 says:

I’m with you man…the guy is an overrated bag of wind.

• Bripro says:

This is my last thought on the subject.
      I’m not saying he’s the ideal candidate, but a good one.
      Your acknowledgment of his attention to detail, hard work and knowledge demonstrates the fact that his work ethic is there.
      From his public forums, even though his approach might sometimes be a little annoying, he has demonstrated ease in communicating, so that settles the media issues, in both french and english.
      And he has said it often enough that he’s a firm believer in delegating.
      That, for me, is key.
      As a company owner and chief administrator, there is absolutely no way I would still be running this show without help.
      Seeing it, recognizing it’s value, hiring the right people to assist, and entrusting them with the parameters of their duties, …and letting them go. If they’re qualified, they’re the experts…not me.
      So he’s acknowledged that he would have to hire the right people.
      And I believe with Savard involved (at least initially to oversee and assist), he can be successful. He works hard. Did PG work at all?

• Chris says:

My post was intended more as a slap against the common assertion that McGuire would be an instant upgrade in prospect evaluation. I simply do not buy that for a second, because I don’t believe that McGuire has the time in his busy schedule to actually attend games, and I believe that this is a requirement for assessing a player’s potential.

So if people want to tout McGuire as a potential GM candidate based on his being a hard worker, being a good communicator and being well-connected, I’m okay with that.

I simply do not accept that he has any advantage over anybody else when it comes to prospect evaluation.

• New says:

Chris, that is all true but he may have qualities that would screen him in. Things fans and the media don’t know.

I think we (fans and media) like to guess what the team will do. Today Tampa is out of the playoffs so I guess it will be Brisbois. Tomorrow I might guess it will be Mark Hunter. I can guess all I want and it doesn’t matter. The team however has to do this right because I do think fans are getting upset, mainly over unrealized potential.

My bone if I have one is the focus on media people. Damphousse, Tremblay, McGuire, all of them are given a platform to second guess the team, the players, and the league. Other than entertaining us they have no real purpose. As far as I’m concerned you would make a better GM than a TV analyst. (No I don’t think you should be the GM either). Yet those guys get ruled in? Bob Hartley is coaching in the Swiss league. His team did so-so but are having (or had?) a strong playoff run. Suddenly articles start appearing?

I am just tired of the medium being the message. I hope Mr Molson was right and that we’re all surprised by the GM and coaches.

The only bright light this year has been Cunnyworth’s sense of he-haw, and of course your posts.

• Phil C says:

Good point that he might not be able to maintain his knowledge without access to his “insiders”.

Talking about his knowledge of prospects also shows an ignorance to what the GM’s job actually is. Bobby Clarke couldn’t even pronounce Giroux’s name when he went to the podium, so I doubt he was familiar with him. Brian Murray admitted in an interview at last year’s draft that he was not familiar with all his picks and that he was relying on his amateur scouting staff. I am sure the last thing Timmins needs is a GM that gets too involved in his business. When you take away his acquired knowledge of prospects, McGuire’s qualifications start looking pretty thin.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

Not saying my opinion is any better but i can’t wait until a new GM is hired so we don’t have to read completely idiotic comments on why certain candidates would or wouldn’t make a good Habs GM.

• Chris says:

Like mine immediately above! ;)

• Hobie Hansen says:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientest to sit down and watch a hockey game, especially if you’ve played/watched for the majority of your life and deliver a comment.

But the theories of how much this guy knows, or why he hasn’t had a GM job before and on and on are so hypothetical and speculative it’s just silly.

• Chris says:

Watching a hockey game on television is completely different than watching one live. Live, you get to see the energy players have off the puck. You see who’s skating hard and who is dogging it. You get a better feeling for the vision of a particular player and their work ethic. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to watch games, but it does take time. And time is something that Pierre McGuire has never actually had much of because he maintains an absolutely insane pace of media responsibilities.

So while I freely admit that my argument above is hypothetical and speculative, it was intended as a rebuttal against the idea that McGuire knows prospects inside out, which is absolute bull. He doesn’t. He is just absolutely well prepared for his media responsibilities when it comes to junior prospects.

• boing007 says:

I can see that energy, or lack thereof, on TV too. I can usually tell if it’s going to be a lacklustre effort or shows some promise.
            Richard R

• Timo says:

We can then just comment on how stupid the decision to hire that named GM was. Who you’re trying to kid, Hobie?

• shiram says:

Trevor Timmins, because his initials are TT, and Marvel super heroes often have the same letter doubled as their initials.
      So, taking that in consideration, Trevor Timmins is a super hero!

Hiring McGuire to be Habs GM would be like hiring a history professor to lead an army into battle based on his ability to remember dates.

40. Seps says:

If Pierre McGuire somehow gets the GM job, I may have to take a break from cheering for the Habs. We’d go from a vegetarian ghost to a bird watching freak. How about we pick a real GM that’s respectd in the hockey world and knows how to enhance this team.

41. 69HABS says:

The CBC was cut $200 mil in the Budget. Maybe they will cut HNIC …

42. Phil C says:

The Radulov goal against Chicago was on the TSN plays of the week this morning. I know its been mentioned before but it’s worth repeating: that kind of skill would be really appreciated by the fan base in Montreal. He is an RFA next year, but I believe he will be a UFA after next year, so Nashville might be looking to move him before losing him for nothing as their budget will be tight if they sign both Weber and Suter.

• Seps says:

We just got rid of a bunch of Russians for the reason they’re streaky and unreliable. Radulov I don’t find would be any different, and Malone had a sweet goal the other night too, doesn’t mean I want him on our first line. Malkin is just a rare breed.

• Phil C says:

I guess the Habs should trade for more consistent Canadian scorers like Rene Bourque?

Radulov has been a better than a point per game player in the KHL for 4 years, he was a 26 goal scorer in the NHL at 22 years old, and he is coming into his prime. It’s only been 6 games so far, but he has put up points in all but one game which is very consistent. I’m not convinced he is streaky, but we will see in the playoffs.

• Seps says:

Rene Bourque is atleast present in the NHL, there’s no guarantee Radulov won’t leave and be productive in the KHL again. I’m not saying Rene Bourque is the answer but for some reason Habs fans love russians but they prove again and again to be more harm than good. Not saying I wouldnt be excited if we drafted Grigorenko… But thinking Forsberg might be a better pick if Columbus doesn’t take him first because they have made their opinion of not taking Russians anymore, clear. I don’t blame them either after Zherdev, Filatov etc

• RGM says:

The only Russian player that the Canadiens have gotten rid of in recent years was Alex Kovalev, and there was a rally to save him. Name two more players from Russia who have been with the Habs in the last two years that “we just got rid of,” please.

And you can’t say the Kostitsyns or Grabovski, because they’re from Belarus.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Ozmodiar says:

Pleks would be a happy camper if the Habs could pull off these moves:
      1) move up a spot or two to draft Yakupov (trade/lottery win)
      2) trade for Radulov
      3) sign a 4th line face-off/PK specialist

• Phil C says:

Those three moves would be awesome. Add a top four defenseman, a big physical defenseman, and the team starts to look pretty good in a hurry.

43. Dr.Rex says:

DId anyone else find it despicable that CBC had MIke Milbury on during Satellite Hotstove to discuess the Habs GM search. The other two guys had some inside scoop to discuss but Milbury said nothing of importance and really just used the segment to proclaim once again that he loathes the habs and their fans.
    Just another example of the poor leadership that CBC currently has in place.

• Bripro says:

I know that he keeps trying to see his reflection in the camera lens.

• Hobie Hansen says:

One thing we can all agree on is that Milbury is a complete douche. And yeah, he hates the Canadiens and their fans.

80% of the on air staff on CBC blows.

• Mattyleg says:

We used the same word to describe him!
        It must be extremely appropriate.

• RGM says:

80% blow and the other 20% suck. This is how the CBC manages to suck and blow at the same time.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• issie74 says:

N.Y Islander fans hate Milbury with a passion.

They have not forgotten or forgiven him for ruining their team and they have not yet recovered.

Mad Mike should not talk.

NorthTOHab

• Cal says:

As visions of a blowing douche engulfs the HIO psyche…. hereby known as a Milbury.

• Mattyleg says:

He is SUCH a douche.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If i saw Milbury in the halls of the Centre Bell I’d probably get myself into trouble by telling him how much of scum bag he is. I wouldn’t be able to hold back.

• RGM says:

Careful, he may attempt to assault you and/or your son with a shoe.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d love it if he did. As long as I had many witnesses to prove that he attacked me first after he’s lying on the floor picking up his teeth. ;-).

• Habfan10912 says:

Hobie, bring an extra shoe just in case. If I happend to be there on the night you did this I’d back ya up!

• The Cat says:

The CBC knows that nobody cares about hockey analysis. If people did care theyd talk about Kelly Hrudey and Mike Weeks instead of Cherry and Milbury.

• canadiens26 says:

His comments regarding the penguins after their game vs. the flyers was pathetic. The guy is a complete tool. I am very thankful I get RDS at home so I never have to watch CBC or NBC. No Milbury, Cherry or that historian McGuire.

44. SteverenO says:

It seems a bit counter intuitive to recognize someone for being unheralded. Once the recipient receives the award and recognition he no longer can claim to be “un-recognized”.

On another subject, what happened to Ryan White?

In a prior thread Nail Biter referenced Ryan White getting some time on the PK unit. Personally, I have not found White to be the same player that I saw last year prior to his injury. Last years White seemed to make things happen, create turnovers, and scoring chances. This season, other than scrapping, he has done very little on either side of the rink.

Here is what I wrote in answer to Nail Biter.

There is a big difference between spending time on the pk and being effective on the PK. White has played 42 minutes shorthanded and the opposition have scored 5 ppg against us during that span. (average 1 PP GA every 8 minutes)

To compare, Darche has played 109 minutes on the PK and only 6 PP goals have been allowed while he has been on the ice. (average of 1 PP GA every 18 minutes)

I like White, but he has yet to show anything this season compared to how he performed last year prior to his injury.

last year White played 234 minutes even strength, the team scored 12 g0als while he was on the ice, a very respectable average of one goal per 20 minutes of ice time. This season since returning from injury, White has played 245 minutes at even strength and the team has scored only 4 goals while he has been on the ice, a terrible average of one goal per 60 minutes of ice time.

Hopefully during the off-season Ryan White fully rehabilitate from his injury and return next to form next year as the “spark plug”type of player that he was last season.

regards,
    Steve O.

• shiram says:

Good stuff on White, rumours read about him spoke of a mild concussion.
      HFboards says he is out since the 30th of March with a cold.

• Stormin says:

White took a loss in his last fight against Erik Gudbranson and a real hard last shot to the head as he was going down, i believe he is probably concussed from that last punch. He has heart but Gudbranson is like 6’5 and he beat him pretty good

• Hobie Hansen says:

The team as a whole was playing much better last year. But I do agree White hasn’t looked great.

In saying that, It’s tough to judge cuz the majority of the team isn’t playing well, there’s currently a coach in place that half the team has probably tuned out.

People are upset with Plekanec, Bourque and White for not playing up to their abilities but I think they get a pass until next season when a ton of things will change.

• Cal says:

Losing almost a full season recovering from his surgery has cost White a lot of things. If he continues to work hard, I see no reeason that he’ll be back to last year’s Ryan White by the fall. Major injuries do take their toll on players.

• New says:

I think that last year he earned his way up and earned his big boy contract. This season he comes off surgery and I don’t think he has shown what got him up. But I believe they can’t send him down without waivers and they would lose him for nothing.

45. Stormin says:

Pierre McGuire, would make a fine GM like the fact its his dream job, hate the fact his first name matches our last GM’s first name. Hockey knowledge top notch, ability to negotiate contracts worries me a little as he may be to chummy with a great deal of the players he will be dealing with. All in all with right people surrounding him with his work ethic and being that he eats and breaths hockey we could have a hidden gem for GM here, to revamp and rejuvenate our scouting department just add some overall zeal and excitement to the team with much more communication with the fans who deserve the repect of the organization

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bottom line is any of the candidates will be better than Gauthier.

As long as they (new GM) don’t pull a Brian Burke and start throwing around draft picks trying to jump start the team and have it backfire, the fans should be happy.

McGuire would be a massive improvement but I have a feeling a disadvantage for him is that so many fans want him in there and Molson and Savard don’t want to look like they’ll bend over and pick the popular guy.

• Mattyleg says:

He’s not popular.

He didn’t even make the top 10 possible candidates on RDS.

Watched NBC for the first time (for a whole game) and McG drove me nuts with his chummy strolls down memory lane with every player that touched the puck.

He’s everyone’s bestie, according to him, which probably means that nobody really likes him.

• Stormin says:

You are right he is annoying at times to listen too a she goes on about where guys grew up etc.. but he does know his stuff and is a great recognizing the overvaluation of hockey talent in today’s game, and actual work ethic and heart needed to be a stud hockey player and we need that above his sometimes annoying overall excitement for the game and its stars

• Mattyleg says:

There are lots of people who ‘know their hockey’, but not everyone goes on and on about it.

I would worry about other GMs not taking ‘Nice Guy’ Pierre seriously because he wants to be everyone’s best friend and create Kodak moments that he can tell other people about later on.

• Stormin says:

Mcguire is a big believer in building through the draft,a nd his knowledge of junior aged players is top notch. I hope G.Molson makes the right decision he will feel pressure form both official language press organisations and fan bases. The more i go over all the usual suspects Pierre Mcguire with the right infrastructure of personnel surrounding him makes the most sense to add excitement and rejuvenate the club

• ont fan says:

Anybody is better than Gauthier. I sure hope you are right. There are a lot of poor GM’s out there.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I dunno, Everytime I’ve turned on the radio or opened the paper it’s all about Mcguire. The Team 990 had 10 consecutive callers English and French screaming to have McGuire as the new GM. Not to mention the host of the shows and pretty much every hockey personality that joined them on the air.

And as far as RDS, I would take that list as seriously and the comic section in the paper.

• ont fan says:

I’ve read up on all these guys, but what do I know. I’ve always been wary of anyone who has been in the booth for more than 2 years and haven’t got a job. Whether it’s coaching or GM. It just doesn’t make sense to me. When you look at the TSN panel most of them are offered jobs within 18 months. There have been too many booth guys who haven’t done real well in hockey or other sports.

• Mustang says:

Does McGuire really know his stuff or does he simply have a very good memory? Just because he knows every player’s mother’s maiden name as well as when and where she was born indicates that he has an exceptional memory but it does not necessarily mean that he is smart. Just asking, not trying to start a war.

I have no idea who will be our next GM but I would not pick McGuire as he seems to rub me the wrong way.

• Stormin says:

He rubs me the wrong was as well, he is annoying, but this guy is a great at the evaluation of talent big time, and I believe he has the will to create a Stanley cup winning team not just a competitive team and he is not in if for the show or power trip. His enemies will even make him more determined. i believe, time will tell, would be nice to see some excitement and communication from the hierarchy of the habs organization for a change though

46. Mark C says:

Dumont instead of Schultz?! Fire Carrier!!!!1!!1

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve been saying that for week!!

• Stormin says:

I agree, but many of the so called guys in broadcasting play it safe when they lose their jobs, Mcguire has been quite the back seat driver over the years very critical of clubs gm’s decisions i think this has alienated him somewhat and has hurt him when he has applied for past gm positions he has been on many teams short lists. My first choice would be Dale Talon but i dont believe Florida would let him go unless we gave them a draft pick in compensation. No way do i think we should do that so i sit firmly on the Mcguire bandwagon

47. Newf_Habster says:

Way to go, Gorges! You truly deserve this award! :)

48. Stormin says:

I would like to see Habs use second pick on Mike Matheson local pointe clare boy, rated 25th hopefully will still be available with our first pick in the second round, One of the best pure skating d man available in the draft, playing in USHL for former hab Jim Montgomery in Dubuque . Played Midget for Lac st Louis ions, ala Louis Leblanc. Captained Midget lions to Midget provincial Championship last year, played for Canada’s gold medal team at Under 18 Ivan Hlinka, Looks to be headed to NCAA which is fine as we have some d prospects ahead of him . Matheson has size great shot and skates as smooth and strong as anyone in draft. He was projected number 1 in last year’s QMJHL draft but chose the USHL and NCAA route even so still went in the second round of the Q draft would be a steal if we could get him with our first pick in the second round, and a local pick to boot bi lingual for all the politically thinking fans. He is a steal in the 2nd round.

49. Bripro says:

I have to laugh at all the supposed HIO GMs who think they could do better than Pierre McGuire, or even laugh at the prospect of his being a candidate.
    Scotty Bowman had said he’d make a great GM, but then…what has he ever done for the NHL?

• RGM says:

I’m sure that Pierre would do well. But at the same time, if he would be “great” why has it been 20 years since he was last employed by an NHL team?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Bripro says:

No one but him can answer that. And people keep using that excuse as a reason not to consider him.
        Perhaps the offers weren’t attractive. Maybe he didn’t like the organizations. He was a finalist for two management positions in the last 5 years, but lost out.
        But let’s face it, there are many candidates for few NHL positions.
        I’m not saying he’s the best candidate, but he knows more about the game than most GMs on this site, that’s for sure.
        And yes, he can sometimes be irritating, but because he’s not the ideal MC for TV or radio, it doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t be effective as a GM.
        Especially when you consider that last 15-20 years of Habs management, could he be any worse? Not to me, he wouldn’t.

• Mattyleg says:

Why didn’t Scotty Bowman ever hire him, then?
          He had plenty of opportunities…

• Ozmodiar says:

Maybe Bowman thought: He’d make a great GM. Just not on my team!

• Bripro says:

Wait a minute?
            Didn’t Scotty hire him as ass’t coach when Magnificent Mario and the Pens won the cup in ’92?

• Mattyleg says:

He was trying to sabotage other teams!!!

…the wily old fox…
            (shakes head in wonderment)

• Mattyleg says:

Bri, not as GM.

• issie74 says:

McGuire was the video coach for Pitt.they let him open and close the door if I remember properly.

He was always TSN’s color guy at the World Jr’s also.

That’s it.

NorthTOHab

• shiram says:

30 hockey teams have not hired him in about 14 years, but then what have they achieved in the NHL?

See I too can make those kind of arguments!

Timmins in 2012!

• Hobie Hansen says:

According to Mitch Melnick he was offered an assistant GM job in Pittsburgh and turned it down because his broadcasting gig was too good to give up.

He put his name in the hat for the Minnesota job and was among the final candidates a few years back.

Other than that he’s sort of casually been looking but loves what he does on television.

• Ozmodiar says:

I laugh at those who laugh at the people laughing at the suggestion that PM should be a candidate for the GM position.

• Timo says:

You really DO overestimate complexity of GM’s position.

• Bripro says:

If it was that simple Timo, any one of us would be doing it.
        I know we all try, but let’s be honest, who here has the pedigree?

• Timo says:

The fact that we are not doing it doesn’t mean it isn’t simple. We didn’t go that route and haven’t spent most of our lives in these circles so naturally we don’t have a way in.

I still maintain that most of us would be able to do it, at least as badly as Gauthier and Gainey.

• Psycho29 says:

If I remember correctly, Bowman was asked what he thought about PMc as a GM. He didn’t volunteer the info.
      He and PMc are supposedly good friends, what else would he say when put on the spot?

• Bripro says:

I don’t know about that, but Bowman did say that he wanted to hire him in Detroit, but he was only allowed one assistant, and Dave Lewis was already entrenched.

50. savethepuck says:

They couldn’t of picked a better choice. Didn’t he win this a couple of seasons ago too? I doubt I’ll see it, but I’d love this guy to get an invite to the Worlds next month. A PK specialist, shot blocking machine and shutdown DMan who sacrifices his body for his team every shift. I wish this team had 20 guys with his heart, attitude and work ethic.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• mark_ID says:

Who would you rather see, PK or Gorges at the Worlds? If you had to choose one…

“Step off George”

• savethepuck says:

Hard to choose. I think PK will get an invite anyway. He was invited last year but declined because he was banged up. Josh deserves it, but they usually don’t ask dMen with his skillset. They usually want players with more offensive abilities.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

51. Say Ash says:

Off Topic: Arizona Looks to Outlaw Internet Trolling

What would happen if those rules applied here?

52. Laramy87 says:

The more i read about Grigorenko, I dont know if I want to see him in a Habs jersey. I read more and more about his poor work ethic. We just got rid of AK and he was like that. We need someone who will bust his ass game in and game out.

Will Galchenyuk be that guy? I hope its almost certain Oilers take a d (if they pick ahead of us) so we may be able to take whomever, of course with exception to yakupov who will go 1st.

• mark_ID says:

I have to agree with you Laramy, it worries me that we will end up with another AK.

With that being said though, I have faith in Timmins and company, they have been drafting very well the last few years.

“Step off George”

• Max says:

Hey, be careful with those “racist” comments, or the the poster TomNickle will be here in a few minutes to take out his race card and shoot you down! (eye roll)

• Malreg says:

I think the Oilers would take Grigorenko 2nd overall.

Their D definitely needs help, but it’s easier to pick up some decent defenseman than it is to find a #1 center with size, and they don’t have much depth down the middle. RNH and Grigorenko would make a pretty solid 1-2…

• RGM says:

While true, they also have to consider their salary cap situation in a few years. Hall, Eberle, Nuge, all will cost dollars. They desperately need help on the blue line (and between the pipes) and I think that trumps the desire to go out and get another flashy young forward to help sell tickets.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

53. Lazarus_taxa says:

Alright!!! I came out of posting hibernation to say this: THOMAS WILSON! Projected 33rd overall (our second rounder). There is no question we will get some good talent in the 1st but c’mon! we gotta get this guy in the second!!! Look him up HIO!!!

54. frontenac1 says:

Or the hard water of the”Limestone City”

• Stormin says:

55. Mattyleg says:

Morning all!
    I have no voice today, but on here, I speak with THE VOICE OF A LION!!

(ahem)
    Great article about Blunden.
    I like that guy, and I hope that we can make room for him next year.

56. habsfan0 says:

Before Stevie Y accepted GM position in Tampa Bay, he apparently let it be known that he would love to be GM in Montreal. However, Habs had a future Hall of Famer ready to assume that position when Gainey resigned, a certain vegan.

Water under the bridge.

What would be interesting to know is, if Stevie Yzerman WAS available to become the GM of the Canadiens, would he be a viable candidate in the eyes of Molson & Savard, or would his lack of French disqualify him?

57. frontenac1 says:

Agreed BJ,Erskine and Allen,two fine Kingston Lads!

58. mark_ID says:

For anyone who is interested, I found these interesting stats of Grigorenko compared to todays NHL’rs stats while in the Q.

“Step off George”

59. frontenac1 says:

Bravo Josh! Well deserved!

60. BJ says:

Habs call up goalie Robert Mayer and forward Gabriel Dumont. The French invasion has begun.

61. B915 says:

What year will Montreal win their next cup ?

62. Mr_MacDougall says:

did my gravater work?

63. BrianSkrudland says:

If you’ll recall, the much lauded Pierre McGuire argued that Gainey dropped the ball at the time of the trade that sent Rivet packing and brought Gorges (and later Pacioretty) to Montreal.

Please keep McGuire away from this team!

• BJ says:

Gainey’s best trade. It did not look great at first but it turned out amazingly good for us.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree. People think cause he is on TV he is the man. Look at Mike Milbury…..nuff said

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Fab K says:

So wait, you are making your point on a potential GM based on an analysis he made, which turned out to be wrong? Does the next GM have to be perfect, and never made a poor judgement call in order to qualify for the job?

I’m glad you’re not involved in the decision committee to name the replacement GM…

Not sure if you have heard of the expression, but hindsight is 20/20…

• Kooch7800 says:

Out of curiosity, why do you think he would be a good GM? He has never done the job or even been an assistant GM in any league. he has not actually ever worked with the salary cap (big part of the job) and has been out of the NHL for well over a decade.

He does know players but that doesn’t mean he is a good scout for talent and what does that have to do with translating to building a strong team? Teams are also about chemistry

I really don’t like his inexperience. He should be an assistant for awhile. If he really wanted to be a GM I think he would have done this already.

Being a GM in a hotbed like Montreal you want to be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing.

That is just my opinion though. I have been wrong before

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Fab K says:

I never said he would be a good GM, although i do think Montreal should seriously consider him. Granted he doesn’t have the experience in the negotiation aspect involved and never worked with the cap, but in my opinion, the best thing Montreal can do, is higher him and surround him with others such as Julien Brisebois to form a GM “team” (although i highly doubt Tampa would let him go to do the same job)… I don’t think 1 guy should be running the show, especially in Hab land…

I really like that he has an immense amount of knowledge on pretty much every player over the age of 15 in the world, his connections/networking skills with all the other GMs, etc… But hiring him (or anyone else for that matter), and letting him run the show by himself would be wrong.

Also, if you really think about it, inexperience is really not something we should base ourselves on to determine the qualifications of a candidate… he could be a natural, and never done it before. It doesn’t mean that just because you have experience in something, you could do better than someone who doesn’t…

• Bripro says:

He was in fact assistant G.M. of the Hartford Whalers in the early 90s. This was after he had won a cup as an assistant coach with the Pens in ’91.

64. mdp2011 says:

For all the arm chair GMs out there, here is the Habs GM application form if you want to apply:

65. Marc10 says:

Well deserved Josh. What a warrior!

66. MiltonHab says:

Congrats Josh, Well deserved!

67. Sportfan says:

Great D-man Gorges is one of my favs Congrats Josh!

On a nother note i know people wont agree but i hope we re sign Staubitz would be great protection and the Boston Morons would think twice id love to see Staubitz lay out Lucic or Ference well any of them really

• shiram says:

Staubitz would not stop the Bruins playing the way they play, and I still hope management can find a better hockey player, that can bring a physical edge.

• Kooch7800 says:

I have actually thought staubitz has looked better the last few games. He hasn’t been fighting he has just been physical and grinding away.

I think he must show that he can play as there is some decisions to be made after the next three games

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Mattyleg says:

I agree.
        Once again, nobody’s afraid of a fighter fighting a fighter.
        I wonder about Geoffrion though.
        He really wants to play, and is skating around like a madman, but I don’t know what he can really offer other than desire to skate around like a madman.
        Has anyone seen anything I’ve missed?

• BJ says:

I agree. He should be resigned to skate along Ryan White a free agent John Scott or Evgeny Artyukhin (KHL). Until we get toughness on this team no matter what top 6 we have we won’t get close to the Cup. I would add Allen and Erskine on D. Team toughness issue done. These guys certainly can’t do worse than our current 4th line and our monster D led by “Killer” Kaberle and “Crazy” Campoli.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I hope Staubitz, like most other people, is back on the 4th line next year. Sure he’d be a little over matched against Lucic but he’d show up and would do better than most think. He’s a skilled fighter, switches from left to right and the only fight I’ve seen him lose in a Hasbs jersey was against Neal when Staubiz was at the end of a shift and Neal was fresh.

All teams need a tough guy or two and if Staubitz doesn’t return they’d better find a heavyweight as a replacement.

Gauthier was the only fool that would leave his team unprotected and I’m sure the new GM will address the toughness issue so the new Habs aren’t pushovers.

• Kooch7800 says:

That was more JM than PG. JM doesn’t like scappers and if you do recall PG was the one who picked up Staubitz at the request of Cunney.

Staubitz is starting to show he can play as well but he will need to show that the next three games if he wants to stay in Montreal

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gauthier picked up Staubitz as a last ditch effort to make the team tougher all of a sudden and save his job.

And it was a joke that Gauthier started the season, especially after the debacles of 2011/12 by adding zero toughness. Idiot!

I was calling Gauthier the idiot btw.

• Kooch7800 says:

Cunney requested some more toughness though. Coaches have a lot of say into the roster as well

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Hobie Hansen says:

You are probably right about Cunneyworth, I believe I heard that too.

But it just blows me away, especially when looking and Boston, NYR and Philly that Gauthier tried to come back again with team Smurf again this year. The guy is lost!

• Bouleau noir says:

Not a heavyweight but a solid enforcer nonetheless…. until we find better or bigger Staubitz is our man.

68. Sportfan says:

Great D-man Gorges is one of my favs Congrats Josh!

Gorges is a beauty for sure!

70. RGM says:

Awesome. I like Josh a fair bit but I do find it funny that he can win this particular award twice. Indeed, he’s been one of the most heralded people on the club this dismal year. He doesn’t show up much on the scoresheet but he’s got a fantastic SV% and almost as many stops this season as Budaj. Not to mention he’s got a letter and is due for an upgrade in the next couple years. But hey, I won’t complain because any recognition of the non-recognition he often gets is good in my books.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

71. Max says:

Excellent news! On another note,anyone actually think Gorges is 6’1,? I’d have him pegged at around 5’10 with skates on. He’s not a very big guy. Most teams measure players with skates on while standing on a box I think.The height stats in particular are always way off.

72. secretdragonfly says:

Excellent choice, congratulations Josh! Now Max P for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy!

Well deserved, Congrats Josh!

74. Dr.Rex says:

IF Pierre McGuire became GM then Milbury would be high on his list of coaching candidates. GULP

You are a wise man. I am very envious, lived in North Carolina a few years and loved the year round golf.

76. Habfan10912 says:

I’d rub it in if I was you. :)

77. Bill says:

But when do you play pond hockey??

Full Breezer 4 Life

78. Habfan10912 says:

Touche Bill. Good work. But somehow I think he still wins. :)

79. Mattyleg says:

This is all a very sadly appropriate topic on a Habs site.
    (lower lip begins to quiver)
    I… I have to …go over there…

80. Habfan10912 says:

Trout opened April 1st here in NY.

81. Habfan10912 says:

Ogsensburgh and Watertiwn boy myself.

82. Mattyleg says:

Should HAVE got the award.

No ‘of’.

It’s a tense called the ‘perfect’ tense, where ‘have’ (and ‘has’) are used as an auxillary.
    I have eaten 3 cookies. (present perfect)
    By this time tomorrow, we will have driven 2000 km. (future perfect)
    I have had enough of these grammatical mistakes! (past perfect)
    You should have learned this in elementary school. (present perfect with modal verb ‘should’)

Just so you know!

83. Clay says:

:D

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

84. Mr_MacDougall says:

Which category does “shoulda” fall into?

85. Mattyleg says:

Same one as woulda and coulda.
    ‘Slang Modals’

86. nickster13 says:

I want Yakupov! If not then Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Yakupov is a tough cookie, so his size is not an issue.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

87. Stev.R says:

I think ten years from now Murray will be the best of all of them.

88. Malreg says:

Two players in the top-18 goals by Wingers are not first line players? Along with a center who is 22nd in points for centerman?

I’d call that a first line.

89. Un Canadien errant says:

Mr. Horton does not get the edge on Erik Cole. That sneering coward is not tough. What he shows is facilitated aggression, a propensity for a smaller, more fearful person to act tough when surrounded by people who are or appear genuinely so. If he didn’t have Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic, Adam McQuaid and Scott Thornton on his team, he’d be a right pussycat who drives his coach insane with lackadaisical and uninvolved play and ends up getting traded, like he did with Florida.

Facilitated aggression is what causes a dog to attack a bear or cougar, for example, and charge and bark at it. It thinks that you’re back there, all powerful, able to open tin cans and open doors and drive cars, ready to back him up. When the bear takes a swat at it, you often see the dog come racing back at its owner, whimpering, and drawing the bear back with him. It’s not courage, it’s delusion.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?