Gorges weighs in on talks to date, latest stab at a CBA

Josh Gorges

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges speaks to the media prior to an appearance for fans at RW&CO.’s Place Ville Marie store on Tuesday afternoon.
Photo courtesy RW&CO.

AUDIO: Josh Gorges

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges, the Canadiens NHLPA rep, appeared for a couple of hours Tuesday afternoon at fashion retailer RW&CO.’s store in downtown Montreal’s Place Ville Marie.

Before he met with fans to sign with autographs, Gorges spoke to a few media about the state of the CBA talks to date, his expectations for Wednesday’s session, and a little about his new-found fashion sense. More on the third topic in a Gazette feature coming in Thursday’s paper and online.

1. Lafrich says:

The two biggest issue are that:
    1. These players are comparing this CBA with the last one.
    2. They are blaming the owners for not paying their contracts that were signed in “bad faith”

The answers:
    1. Don’t compare. Look at this one and see if you are happy with it COMPLETELY independent of the previous CBA.
    2. The agents negotiated these contracts with FULL KNOWLEDGE that they are tied to the current (now elapsed) CBA. Don’t be angry at the owners, as they knew the rules. Be angry at yourselves or at the agents.

Other than that, the new CBA seems to be unbelievably sweet for the NHLPA providing they don’t compare it with anything else. If someone offered me a Mercedes I think I would be pretty psyched. I will not start comparing it with my Rolls Royce which no longer works.

• pottymonster says:

except that it actually looks like this:

the players were originally driving bugattis (pre 2004). they were then forced by the dealership to ‘downgrade’ to a rolls royce because the dealership didn’t like the original terms in the lease. sure, no big loss you say. now the dealership doesn’t like the terms of the lease again and is downgrading you to a mercedes c class. what happens next time? the dealership downgrades you again, then again, then again, and eventually you’re riding the bus to work on saturday.

2. Habilis says:

Great news for Hudon as he is a healthy scratch for today’s game. Other scratches include Strome, RNH, Scheifele, Huberdeau, Jenner, Hamilton and Rielly.

Good company :)

3. mark-ID says:

Anyone know what the update is on Bourque? wasn’t his rehab supposed to go into November/December? He must be close to being healthy.

I asked Stubbs, but never got a response….I figured he would have some knowledge

Hung Chow calls into work and says:
    ‘Hey, I no come work today, I really sick.
    Got headache, stomach ache and legs hurt, I no come work.’

The boss John says:
    ‘You know something, Hung Chow, I really need you today.
    When I feel sick like you do, I go to my wife and tell her to give me sex.
    That makes everything better and I go to work. You try that.’

Two hours later Hung Chow calls again :
    I do what you say and I feel great.
    I be at work soon………You got nice house’

5. Habilis says:

Meetings are rolling in Jersey. The best we can hope for today is a lack of news in my opinion. When they keep things quiet, it generally means that things are getting done.

If we see more dueling press conferences, I might throw up in my mouth.

6. habs-fan-84 says:

With regards to the end of this lockout, I’ve been wrong sooo many times it’s not even funny…I’ve incorrectly guessed the end of this lockout too many times to be even considered a credible poster (which I’m not)….

that being said, I get the feeling that now, if I change my mind and declare the season is lost, it’ll be like people buying the “top” of apple a few months ago….it’ll go the other way

basically, I do think the lockout is near it’s end. All summer long I remember reading many posters saying we wouldn’t see hockey until December or January (I didn’t believe them at the time, my sentiments were similar to Ron Maclean’s)…well…here we are and I think many of those posters in the summer were quite right and to those I tip my hat.

If I’m wrong again…well …
    “There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”

7. habstrinifan says:

Be ready folks! 48 GAME SEASON starts soon! But I m getting the wife a UKSI for XMAS just in case.

8. habs-fan-84 says:

If I’m wrong again…well …

• Cal says:

This week is probably it. Too many American fans not caring any more and the players without bonuses (unlike Cole) are starting to get antsy with their measly “stipend” of $10K a couple weeks ago and Christmas coming.

That is, of course, if they think they are “winning” the CBA. If they don’t, it’ll go until next September.

9. habstrinifan says:

My mind is racing ahead. I see hockey. The talk re Galchenyuk is part of it.
    But, I cant seem to lose a very optimistic feeling that this time around the talks will succeed and we will have hockey. Which is why a long standing concern of mine is once again coming to the forefront in my mind. P.K’S contract.

I have been wanting to post a slew of my own reasons why I think there is a very serious problem. One big enough that there WONT be a signing as soon as the ‘season’ starts. I hate to bring this topic up because I know the kind of reaction to expect.

But I am putting it out NOW and the moment they announce an end to the lockout, I would feel the matter topical enough and will be brave enough to post my thought without fear of being called a pointless sh#$$@ disturber..

Of course he could sign a second after and prove me wrong. In which case I will eat crow. Allow me to say though that if he does sign promptly, give credit to Molson for having a say in it.I think the reasons why Molson will be pushing for his signing are obvious.

• shiram says:

It’s one of the major issues facing the Habs if there is a season, it’s definitely something I keep in the back of my head, but we can’t really speculate as long as the new CBA is not inked, as it could change the contract dynamics.

• Blondie says:

I’m not as optimistic of an end to the lockout as I have been previously. On the other hand I also think it’s nuts that it has gone on as long as it has so they just might come to their senses this time.

There was talk of a $60 million cap for the shortened season and, since many teams would have a significant amount of trouble settling their rosters under that cap, I’m sure there will be an amnesty buy-out clause included. In which case; Gomez out, PK in.

And I think it would happen pretty quickly. I wanted hockey for Christmas but I’ll settle for New Years. :)

• Cal says:

I think the cap points were about making the cap 60, but allowing a transition period of 1 year for teams to get their spending on players fixed. Thus, all those “make whole” scenarios.
        Expect many trades.

10. Ozmodiar says:

@dragonfly
    Iron Maiden, huh? Works for me.
    Girl + Iron Maiden = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWwQYyUfPU

11. habstrinifan says:

Re HabinBurlington’s post citing Yahoo sports as optimistic that a deal will be done with this round of negotiation. I tend to agree.

Reasons:

If not now… forget season… this is crunch time.
    Negotiations in ‘private’ now less glare of press… less being said… less hard feelings beind renewed/developed.
    NHL requested Mediators this time. Last time they acquiesced to their presence.
    I think the ‘foolishness’ has run its course. There is now no more poison in the wound ..just an open wound which if properly bandaged will allow the body to function… the season to get underway.

12. The Dude says:

OK Mr Gorges…. let me point out you are making 3 million a year as an undersized D-man who doesn’t score ,has trouble clearing the net,is an average play-maker,not a power-play specialist ,can’t win a fight and has a so-so point shot. What are you bitching about and why am I not watching Hockey ‘ffs”!

13. shiram says:

Gord MillerVerified
    ‏@GMillerTSN
    The consensus among NHL management types/agents here this morning is that there will definitely be a resolution to the lockout, and soon.

• Timo says:

Oh good, cause I was getting worried.

• They’ll say anything to get a click.

Do not reply to anything until the announcement is in.

It would speed the process up if fewer fans took interest. They (NHL/NHLPA) need to see that we just don’t care anymore.

In the rinks here in Brandon,MB, we don’t even talk about it anymore. If the people in Montreal need an identity that badly then their people are truly vain ( am I worng here in vain). Is all the talk in Mtl NHL?

We are more than a game, and all these years putting so much time and money into a sport that none of us will play to their level and where all involved only care if we show up to pay the ticket price and buy their crap made in foreign lands.

December rant over

See you all next month and I’ll be even more bitter then. Losers, all of them.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• New says:

Would certainly explain Bettman’s anger.

• Habilis says:

Minutes later he tweeted this:

“Gord Miller‏@GMillerTSN
      Sadly, as much as I want to see the people out of work because of this back on the job, I don’t see it. At least not yet.”

Hedging his bets.

14. Trisomy 21 says:

Last night my fiance and I went to see a Calgary Hitmen game. We bought a package of 10 tickets in the lower bowl (best available) for $125 and with the package came some swag and i thought with the NHL season likely finished, I could use this time to check in with some of the Habs prospects. Now I am no scout but I enjoy seeing if any of the players stand out.

last night Bozon and the Blazers were in town. He has 44 points in 34 games as of today. Bozon began the game with some speed, he single handedly generated two chances for his team who was otherwise asleep on their feet. I was suprised to see Kamloops, who is doing very well in the WHL playing so poorly. It was 2-0 for CGY before Kamloops was on the board. Although Bozon was on the ice for a goal against I had to admire his backchecking during the rush that led to a goal. Kamloops came back to make it 2-2, with Bozon contributing 2 assists. His first wasn’t a beauty, as it was a rebound from a fairly soft wrister, but he made a good effort taking the puck out of his own end to initiate the play. His second helper was a nice slap pass to the front of the net. At points his passing really caught my eye

Now despite all this, he seemed to take some pointers from Gomez on how to enter the zone. He made passes right to the defenders if he had to break the blue line himself. He also made too many no look passes and sometimes to an area nobody was in (although they were sometimes to places his teamates should have been). His linemate Smith who I think leads the WHL in points only showed up in the second half of the game. I wasn’t overly impressed with his effort. His other linemate (hardon or something) was useless…. Then came the shootout, his useless teamate hardon made a nice deke, as did mr. invisible, smith. Bozon tried to go fivehole but really didn’t come close. In the end the Blazers won in the SO, and I was sitting close to some puck bunnies which was nice to watch when the puck was down at the other end of the ice.

Overall I admired Bozon’s hussle and effort. His passing was good, his shooting was lacking. The no look passing is what confused me the most. Does this mean he has hockey sense and no vision? Not sure, but this was only one game.

15. commandant says:

I see talk that Galchenyuk doesn’t deserve an NHL shot because he has only played 1 season of junior.

Something I have to point out here…. that may have been correct in September, and if we saw his early games in the OHL were he struggled the first 5-6 games that was true, he needed to work the rust off and he wasn’t ready for the NHL at that point.

Right now, he’s played 1 1/2 seasons of junior. You may say that’s not a big difference, but to me it is. The 1/2 season he’s put in so far has been remarkable. He’s improving his game, and he’s worked off the rust. I don’t think we can just throw away this half season as if it doesn’t matter going into a possible training camp. It matters, and it matters a lot.

His hands which I called the “best I’ve ever seen on a 16 year old” have now become “among the best I’ve ever seen PERIOD.” right up there with Alex Kovalev in terms of his ability to hold the puck on a string. His skating is easily back to 100%. His shot and release (which were good before) have improved. And all the rust is gone from the year off.

I’m not saying he makes the Habs for sure. But I think he deserves a shot in training camp and even a 5-9 game stint in the regular season to see what he can do. We can always send him back to Sarnia if he’s not ready.

In terms of development, I believe that a player like this should always play at the highest level possible, where he is still productive and still earning Top 6 Ice Time. The STILL PRODUCTIVE and EARNING TOP 6 ICE TIME is key though. So I’d give Alex the chance. I don’t see the harm in it…. and spare me the diatribes about ruined confidence and ruined Latendresse, because I don’t buy those.

Firstly, the kid is going to go through a slump at some point in his NHL career, whether its today, tomorrow, or two years from now, if he doesn’t have the character to recover from a little blow to the ego, he’s not an NHL guy. That said, Gally has a ton of internal confidence, and a super work ethic, so I think he’ll be fine.

Secondly, I don’t think Latendresse was ruined. Came up too soon? Yes. Ruined? no. A player who was ruined wouldn’t have gone to Minnesota and scored nearly 30 goals. He wasn’t someone who needed to be thrown on the trash heap. A player is either an NHLer or he isn’t. No amount of coddling in the AHL is gonna make Zach Hamil an NHL player. And no amount of Rushing stopped another player (Max Pacioretty) from still fulfilling his potential as a 30 goal scorer.

You can call a player up to soon and then need to send him back for more development (ala Max Pac), but that doesn’t mean you ruined him by giving him the chance. It just means that you learned he needed more time.

And Alex Galchenyuk is a better prospect than either of those two mentioned above.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• shiram says:

He seems to have a good build to play in the NHL even now, and if there are exhibition game, it’s a good thing to give him a taste of the Bell Centre ambiance.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree he should get a shot and something tells me “IF” there is a season they will give him 9 games at a minimum so he will have an idea of what he will be in for in the future.

I have a feeling though if he does get 9 games they will send him back down to develop in the OHL and dominate.

He will be a full time hab next season. All guess work though. He is going to be a great player for a long time.

Latendresse’s problem was himself and he needed an ego check. I think being sent to Minny was a wake up call. He obviously still bitter as he turned down the habs for Ottawa for the exact same offer.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habstrinifan says:

I was unsure of the wisdom of bringing up Galchenyuk for any abbreviated season/camp. WOW! Did you convince me! Your arguments plus his recent surge in performance and results make me eager to see him get that 5 to 9 game tryout… or at very least a good stint in any ‘pre-season’ camp should 2012 get going.

• jon514 says:

Not sure about this. I might have agreed with you, until I remembered how much trouble Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Gallagher, Holland are having in the AHL after playing an upwards of 4 years of junior.

Obviously Gally has better pedigree than all of these players, but I think the ideal situation would see him play out the year dominating the OHL.

Then again, maybe a 5-9 game cup of coffee will help him prepare to let go some of the flashier parts of his game he won’t be able to take with him.

• commandant says:

Firstly Galchenyuk is a different level of prospect than all those guys. It takes a special player to go 3rd overall.

Secondly. If he struggles in his tryout, you send him down… no harm, no foul.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• New says:

I think the kid has proven he deserves a shot but I’m not sure the Habs will give him a fair one.

16. L Elle says:

A long time ago, I tried to post this, and it dissappeared. I hope it’s one of the last non rhyming and non metring parodies ;), and our season finally begins.

Mr. Music, please…

Come and listen to a story about a man named Ed
    A poor billionaire, barely kept his family fed,
    Then one day he was shootin’ at some fool
    And up through the ground came a babblin dude

Bettman that is, black heart, Texas Stars

Well the first thing you know ol Ed’s a billionaire
    Kinfolk said “Ed screw the fans out there”
    Said Philly is the place you ought to be
    So he loaded up the Jag and ruined hockey
    So he loaded up the Jag and ruined hockey

Pucks that is, fantasy pools, hockey stars

Well now it’s time to say good-bye to Habs and all their fans
    And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly dropping in.
    You’re all invited back again to this locality
    To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Our money, that is. Set a spell, buy a jersey.

Y’all suckers come back now, y’hear?

17. longtimehabsfan says:

Present lockout in a nutshell:

Owners: We need a new CBA to protect us from ourselves.

Players: We gave up too much last time. Don’t ask for too much this time.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

18. habstrinifan says:

Let us review Bettman’s tenure using the goals he set for himeslf as found in the Farber article.

“When asked if he thought television was his first priority, he (Bettman) said no, collective bargaining(was)”.
    “Marcel Aubut said from Florida, “We have everything under control but our labour costs.” There is no one better equipped for the job than Bettman.”

Item#1..collective bargaining/labour costs.
    You take the ‘least militant” group of athletes and in 20 years you have had:

3 stoppages.
    Skyrocketing labour costs with no framework to expediently and equitably respond to changing environment or set up viable salary constructs among your owners.
    Far from “concluding (long term partnership) with these ‘least militant’ of athletes there is now a rancidity and distrust.

Mark: Fail.
    ===============
    Item #2:… pension case especially past generation players.
    We dont have info close at hand but it appears these players’ plights were improved. So give Bettman benefit of doubt.

Mark:Pass (anyone with better info pls post).
    ==================

Item #3:…. Drug policy.
    While it has been addressed somewhat, there is still a ‘bury the head in the sand’ attitude.

Mark: Needs improvement.
    ===================
    item#4:Dream Team/Olympics…..
    Success even outstaning.

Mark: A PLUS.
    =====================
    Item#5: Singular collective Team names. Not a credit course.
    ======================
    Item#6: Expansion.
    While Bettman has worked hard at expanding the league in Southern USA, there have been too many ownership figures of dubious and financially unsound character , too many ‘cap in hand’ to city hall scenarios, bad ‘due diligence’ on potential owners, too many teams which seem to be in peril financially.

Mark: Fail… applied himself hard at this course but approached it with an inherent lack of understanding based on not doing sufficient homework to identify the specific nature of the material. Used totally wrong models in his hypotheses.
    =====================
    Item#7: Black Uniforms . Not a credit course.
    ======================
    Item#8: Playoffs.
    “But Bettman’s real test is restoring lustre to the Stanley Cup. Unlike baseball or football, where general interest peaks at the World Series or Super Bowl, many NHL cities lose interest in the playoffs after the home team is out. The Stanley Cup has to become an event again.”

While some TV numbers are up, the fundamental problem of the league’s ‘Super Bowl’ not being a wider audience fan magnet still exists. Especially worrisome is the drop in interest even among established markets, once their teams exit the playoffs.

Mark: Needs improvement!

============================
    Item #9: Fighting.
    Too ad-hoc an approach in this students work in this course. Did not work well with delegation or ‘group’ work in this course. Too extemporaneous and short-lived and problematic solutions. Failed to deal with conflicts of interest (Campbel). Failed to provide clear mandate (Shanahan/referees.) Work was all over the place.

Mark: Fail.
    =================================

Summary: This student transferred to this school amid doubts that he could assimilate himself into the culture of the school and its uniqueness… and convince others that he had done so. These fears have not been allayed and this student is still perceived as too much of an outsider and there may be justifications in identifying this lack of integration into the school culturen as the reason why he is currently failing to provide suitable leadership particularly in the CBA course. Maybe if he had attempted to do less on his own and broadened his outreach into the alumni community and sought more input in his work, he would have succeeded better in all his courses.

We must recommend that this student’s participation in this ‘specialised’ class and field be ended.

HIO Board of Regents (chaired by Timo!)

• Cal says:

1. Pass- most expensive player on each team is effectively limited by the cap.
      2. Late payments to the old players to me = Fail
      3. The NHL has a drug policy? Really?
      4. Pass
      5. This is a category?
      6. Pass- without the south, the $2 bill tv deal never happens
      7. This is a category?
      8. TV numbers are the best the NHL can expect. Opening night had great numbers in US and Canada. Almost no one in the US was watching the Kings- Devils finals excepting people living in those cities. And Canadians, of course.

I see that Toronto has stated that Morgan Rielly will stay with Team Canada even if the lockout ends. They will not have him report to the Laff camp. Rielly, much like Galchenyuk, basically didn’t play last season so he’s playing a bit of catch-up in terms of his development path.

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele are playing together for Team Canada, while Dmen Rielly and Hamilton are also together. Could be a hell of a PP.

I think it’s worth noting that with a 48 game schedule any team enduring an extending losing streak of any kind will probably be knocked out of the playoff race. Coaches are not going to have much time for experimenting with players or breaking in new rookies . Of course, you could also say that some kid in junior (who has played all season) might have a jump on a pro who has sat by the phone for four months waiting for Ron Hainsey to call.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think some players like Galchenyuk might come in handy in NHL for the first few weeks until the regulars get their legs under them.

Heck, Galchenyuk would probably do as well or better than Desharnais if playing between Cole and Pacioretty at this point in time.

• habstrinifan says:

I am not getting into the DD stuff, but I like your point re a player like Galchenyuk actually having a big contribution while veterans get their skating legs. You and Commandant are right… bring him up.

Good Morning Steve, further to our discussion of Gally getting called to Montreal during WJC. I do think Gally is an exception, he is the most talented draft pick we have had since Mondou I suspect or perhaps even Lafleur. I believe exceptional talent adjusts differently than the regular kids.

I am not set on him playing for Montreal this year, but rather having a chance at limited training camp, and perhaps the 9 game trial period to see what he can do. I don’t want to see a year of his pro contract burned off for limited ice time etc….

I feel bad for the U.S. hockey program if they do lose Gally during the tournament, but that cannot be MB’s concern.

As for Burke announcing Rielly staying no matter what. Little different circumstance, Rielly wasn’t going to be an impact player on the Leafs (Defencemen take longer), the Leafs are a Canadian based team and the P.R. would be much different if they pulled this kid out of tournament for a team that hasn’t made playoffs since 67. And most importantly Brian Burke is always far more concerned with making dramatic announcements than he is about making smart decisions.

Leaf fans as usual will eat up this decision and again pronounce Burke as a great leader doing the right thing, when there was never a chance they called him back from the tournament.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – Toronto is a very interesting place. Both the Raptors and the laffs have been road kill for the past seven years yet the fans just sit by and take it. Even so, you have to wonder if Colangelo and Burke aren’t close to being on the clock.

• ed lopaz says:

what the Habs want to see is if Gally can skate with Plekanec and Gionta – that’s the spot that is open, and that could be a perfect fit for him.

if he can, he will have earned a top 6 spot, he will be playing with excellent veterans, and his development will soar.

if he can’t, he most likely will not be kept.

But I believe Gally would rather get his shot as a top 6, the Habs would rather have him there, and of course the fans (who deserve some excitement) will love seeing what he can do there.

So everyone (other then the U.S World Junior team) wants him to EARN that top 6 spot in the lineup, and I think it is worth missing the World Juniors if he gets that kind of opportunity.

• 24 Cups says:

Ed – I wonder what the present status is for Bourque. Is he going to be able to start on January 1st? If not, then Gally on LW will become a reality. If Gally plays more than nine games, then Bergevin will have just made his first colossal mistake as GM.

And if he plays well, how is it a mistake Steve? I understand you have the big picture in mind. But he could be one of those players who adjusts. I know if he doesn’t play well and his development is hurt it is a mistake. BUt I think we have to give MB some rope here, he has brought in lots of people to help with this decision.

• ed lopaz says:

from where I sit, I would not count on Bourque. he is every bit as enigmatic as AK ever was, and I am not a fan of players who bring their game one night out of every three.

Gally is a great player. If, and its a big if, he stays for longer then 9 games it will be because he has shown that he belongs, that he can make an impact, and that he is the right player for this team at this point in time.

On top of all of his skill, which is considerable and challenges the likes of Yakupov (who will certainly be an impact player this year), Gally has grown and gotten stronger – as Chris so kindly pointed out to me a few days back – so he has an NHL ready body.

Most of all, the young man simply out works everyone on and off the ice – shift after shift – night after night.

The only question mark was his off year last season – which he is now playing through in junior.

We’ll see. But it will be interesting.

@wjc in reference to this quote of yours –
    “He doesn’t need to know how to coach a power play or ref a game or tabulate statistics. He needs to know how to sell and grow revenue’s. Clarence Campbell never did figure out how to do a proper backhand and I say ……so what?”

Clarence Campbell played hockey at Oxford University. Clarence Campbell refereed in the NHL for 6 seasons. Clarence Campbell did know hockey.

21. Habfan10912 says:

The King feels for the fans.

———————————–

22. Habfan10912 says:

The 2013 distinguished honourees to the Order of Hockey in Canada were Beliveau, Campbell-Pascall, Gretzky, Howe and Renwick
    Correction: The above were 2012 honorees. The 2013 will be named sometime today.

———————————–

23. SlimDiggity says:

So what’s the word on Hudon’s performance last night?

24. commandant says:

Max, the mad russian, with a new NHL Happy Hour

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Hey Ben, had you heard of this Sean Day kid which TSN spoke of this morning? Brian Kilrea calling him one of the best 14 year olds he has ever seen (including the likes of Orr, Gretzky).

What little video TSN had of the kid was very very impressive.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I heard they’re trying to get him into the OHL as a 14-year-old? Or did I hear wrong and they’re trying to get him in as a 15-year-old.

I heard Kilrea said he was better than Lindros was at that age and expects he’d be more dominant in the OHL as well.

• ed lopaz says:

he turns 15 next month Jan 2013

Yah, they were saying 6’3″ 190ish lbs already. Has Canadian Passport, lived in Belgium and is currently playing in U.S. As they said on TSN, looking for an exception (Tavares, McDavid), you can bet Hockey Canada, OHL etc… want to get a hold of this kid and have him represent Canadian Hockey.

• commandant says:

I haven’t seen him yet and like most of you the TSN clip was the first I heard. (I don’t usually go as young as the 14-15 year olds).

I’m sure we’ll be seeing him in the OHL soon. 6’3 at 14 and with that skating, is very impressive.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

25. Ozmodiar says:

Congrats to Rush! Well deserved!

To Rush fans out there I say, let’s not be too hard on those who don’t like the band. After all, they are our mothers, our daughters, our wives, our girlfriends, sisters, aunts and nieces. So, be nice.

• secretdragonfly says:

Easy there, bucko – this female happens to be a huge Rush fan :)

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed dragonfly .Saw a Rush concert on TV recently and there were plenty of ladies rockin out in the crowd. By the way, my son who is a Die Hard Metal fan(goes down every year to that big metal festival in MTL) loves Rush,as do I. Rush,Pink Floyd, and Priest are the only bands we have in common. Saludos!

26. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s all going according to plan.

We were never going to be any good this year.

A short season was always our best hope of another lottery place, minus the pain of 82 games worth of dashed hopes and futility.

Regarding Bob Dylan, Neil Young (and Geddy Lee) – there are qualities of the voice other than range or tonal control. The ability to communicate emotion may be great in the absence of these.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

You’re probably right on both counts. In the long term the Habs need another big pick to go along with Gally. On your second point, Bono and Bruce might also support your argument.

———————————–

Good Morning HF72, always good to see a post from you bud. Yup, we definitely want a season this year (I am almost starting to sound like a Tanker….scary) As for music, agree, seems to me some of the greatest bands/musicians of all time have unique sounds. Heck, look at how Leonard Cohen is adored on this site.

Personally, I am very happy for Rush. They are an iconic Canadian Rock Band with global star power. I am not a Rush fanatic, but I enjoy their music and greatly respect their talents and success. Besides, they were on Trailer Park Boys, what greater homage could there be. (Maybe a guest spot on Simpsons)

Game report from Bulldogs 1-0 victory last night. Thanks to Steve Quailer toys rained down on the ice for a good cause last night.

• Ron says:

It was good to watch, the stuffed toys sure rained down. Took abit to get the ice cleaned up afterwards since it was close to the end of game but what a way to end it. Good victory for all.

28. Cal says:

Good morning everyone. All two or three of us diehards, anyway. Here’s an Aerosmith tune for this Wednesday:

Perfect song choice Cal, unfortunately Gary got his Gun when he found out last time he could cancel the season and people still came back. Had the NHL not recovered in record fashion after the last lost season that gun would be just a starter pistol now. But unfortunately he now has a loaded weapon.

CHeers Cal, I am waiting for your songs to start being like a radio station where I hear the same song over again. You have been pretty good at keeping it fresh man!

• Cal says:

Thx, Burly. When I set out to do this, I figured I may as well wreak havoc on all manner of genres. ;)

• wjc says:

Burlington: People on here, should really, really listen to themselves.

Gary cancelled the season, but people came back.

NHL recovered (no mention of Gary) in record fashion.

Now Bettman has a loaded weapon.

When it is good, it is NHL. When it is something bad it is Bettman.

I tell you (in all seriousness) Bettman has an office behind the bowling alley. The owners are afraid to go down there. Bettman and his henchmen hang out there plotting the downfall of the NHL.

How will the owner’s get away from this evil mysterious man.

wjc

Not sure what you are saying exactly. My point was very simple so I will repeat it. Gary Bettman (yes Gary, you know the guy who is the commish who DOES INDEED represent the current NHL) was in charge when the season was cancelled previously. Well it turns out that the same Gary Bettman (was not aware of the bowling alley office, there are some things you know that none of us are privvy to, and I thank you for sharing these nuggets) is still in charge of the NHL and he indeed has the ability to part of the decision to cancel another season. Because it was done once before, without massive repurcussions this makes it easier to press the button again.

That was my only point, now that the league has done this before, it may feel it could do again if they deem necessary. Prior to an entire season being cancelled, I am assuming there would be great fear and intrepedation to such a thing. That is no longer the case.

I am hopeful a deal is done, and i hold both sides responsible for the current fiasco. However, it is impossible not to see that the same chief has been around for a few of these things.

• wjc says:

Burlington, I guess we are not that much in disagreement. I take exception to the separation of owners and Bettman.

Yes, he has been in charge during lockouts, I maintain he is there spokesman. He is the face of the owners, is my main point.

The league (owners) will do what they think is necessary. Settling at 50/50 was a no brainer. Fehr could have agreed to that in July. I should say Fehr and the players could have agreed and saved a lot of baloney. But, they dragged it out. Strategy, pay back who knows. The players did quite well and it was unnecessary, they were spoiling for a fight (my opinion).

Try to remember this is not personal between you and I. We both have our opinions, it just bugs me when the blame card gets played and played and played, always Bettman. My sense of fairness kicks in.

wjc

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. Maybe an old fashion duel between Fehr and Bettman?

———————————–

• Cal says:

Definitely, Jim! Someone posted there would be a mediator. They make a deal today/tonight or they should just lock it down. Listening to those two and watching them preen for the cameras is getting really old.

• Bripro says:

Aerosmith. One of my faves….
      When I did my Jaded rendition, I almost picked Janie instead, but I was too tired, and didn’t feel like racking my brain. So thanks for picking up the slack.

How long will the double secret location remain secret today? Depending on which side wants to first proclaim that the other doesn’t want to get a deal done will perhaps inform the media of their highly secret location.

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I just can’t see Gary Bettman surviving this

…whether he is simply the repugnant face of the owners, or not …I just can not see hockey fans letting go of their rabid hate of what they perceive of him

…Don Fehr I will not shed a tear if this is his last hurrah in this line of work …but, it’s Bettman with whom the fans will finally be completely unforgiving of 4 shutdowns of Our Game over his 20 years

…maybe the short-term memories of some oblivious idiot fans will let his legacy slide, but I will be very surprised if the real hockey fans will

• Cal says:

It doesn’t matter who the commissioner of the NHL is. Fans have always hated them. Work stoppages or no.
      EDIT- He’s 60 and is making $8 mil/year. I don’t think he’ll give up $40 mill in pay (assuming retirement at age 65). IF they force him out, he will get a big chunk of cash.

• Dust says:

I dont see Gary getting fired at all. He has done a good job at doing what the owners want (growing the business, salary cap). I think if they sign a 10 year CBA Gary will retire before it’s up. However, if we only have a 5 year cba he will stick around for one more battle.

I would like to see this be Bettmans last stand, but my reasons are different. I would like to see someone in charge of the NHL that actually understands the game itself. Once this game of chicken is over between Fehr and Bettman the game will be played again. When that happens we get to watch a league which refuses to enforce the rules by which the game was designed to be played. Colin Campbell will still have great power despite already proving he is incompetent, and Shanahan will still be a puppet for Colin.

I hate to go back to it, but I am convinced Chara knew what he was doing when he attacked Max Pac and the fact that this league felt that was a hockey play disgusts me.

As for the current Mexcan Stand-off, both sides need to pull their heads out of their Asses and realize that leaders from both sides need to be able to develop a working relationship in order to avoid such ugly negotiations.

• wjc says:

Burlington, you bring up some interesting points, that I feel I have to respond to. You bring this reaction out of me, sorry in advance if it feels like an attack, it isn’t.

Understands the game? You want someone in charge that understands the game, the only understanding you need is revenue streams, contracts etc.

Game of chicken between….drum roll…..Owners and Players or Bettman and owners….Fehr and players.

Interpreting the rules can be a perception. Homers see it one way and only one way. It is hard to cheer for a team and be objective.
        Impossible to be objective and cheer for your team. So you will never be in agreement with Campbell and Shannon. You are emotionally involved in your team.

Yes, Chara crushed Patracetty and we agree it was deliberate. Now let me play devils advocate, he is allowed to hit a player along the boards. You cannot prove he had malice intent, you can guess it.

Patoricetty was in a bad spot, most players would have stayed to the outside instead of getting between him and the boards. He should have be wary and Chara took advantage. Was it a conspiracy, I say no, but that is my opinion only. You will never prove any of this because of resonable doubt.

wjc

So in a nutshell you don’t give a rats ass if the Commish even knows what a hockey stick is, it is just about revenue streams to you.

Okay, there will be no reason for me to discuss further as we couldn’t be further apart in what we feel a Commissioner of a leagues role is. Who knew that his only purpose is to negotiate CBA contracts. I am enlightened.

• wjc says:

Burlington, Hockey is a simple game, he knows what a hockey stick is and a puck and an offside and a penalty shot and a goaly masks etc, etc, etc. his main job is keeping the league healthy and profitable, you know financial stuff.

I hear you when you say you are enlightened, I hear the sarcasm dripping into your veins and causing hypertention, try to take care my friend.

wjc

• wjc says:

Mr. Surrey, obvious idiot fan here. Hi! (idiotic wave). Perception is a funny thing (weak laugh). Most sensible hockey fans (oxymoron), imagine sensible and hockey fan in the same sentence. Most people will forget Mr. Bettman exists as he goes about his work behind the scenes.

He will be booed like every president since the beginning of the NHL. Richard and Quebecers hated Clarence Campbell during his reign.

Nothing new and Bettman will leave when he is ready and a new guy will come in that you can blame everything on and hate.

Everything is predictable, if you study history, there are very few surprises. By the way deal will be done, with handshakes all around. The owners will say they are sorry for the inconvenience and the players will smooch the fans. No surprises here folks.

wjc

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…really have to think, if the lock-out/CBA is solved, what kind shape these Guys will be in on Their return,what kind of quality of hockey We will have to persevere for at least a month of an already halved-season

…Josh hangin’ out in shopping malls, Carey being tested by the mighty shots of junior players on His former Tri City Americans …others skating circles on random rec rinks around the continent

…what a dog’s breakfast :(

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

MSN Video: a series of video clips from Vancouver’s CBC on the lockout; http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/nhl-lockout-insight/16agilfe9?from=shareembed-facebook&cpkey=cbcc2012-1112-1148-0052-231457759600%257c%257c%257c%257c

…of most interest to Me is former-Canucks’ owner Arthur Griffiths apparent siding with the players, supporting many of Our own opinions

I don’t come by here much, never read the articles and barely gloss over the comments now and again so I am not sure if this has been posted but it’s worth a look see:

34. commandant says:

Bozon with 2 assists today,

Dietz with a goal
    Thrower 2 assists

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

The rock & roll Hall of Fame is a joke, much like the hockey Hall of Fame or the golf Hall of Fame.

To think it took this long for Rush to make it is beyond belief.

• HardHabits says:

What about the HIO Hall of Fame? Now that’s funny. Ironically, like the Habs, HIO has become a shadow of its former self and is content with resting on its laurels. The articles, the debates or the lack thereof, the missing in action… has degraded this place to an out of tune and out of step rhyme-less satire of itself, redundant and overused to the point of embarrassment.

Notwithstanding your or my contributions Mr. K.

36. Boomer says:

Camara was a beast tonight. He and Wilson would make excellent bottom 6 IMO. Sucks they’re a bruin and a flyer. Shinkaruk had a good game as well.

37. Boomer says:

I couldn’t make the intersquad game tonight but my buddy is there he just texted me. (he’s not a habs fan btw… Flames) he said Hudon was the star of the 2nd period. Mackinnon and Drouin great combo… Rielly best Dman on the ice.
    I’m definately gonna try and make the exhibition games vs the CIS (Univ of Alberta, U of C mix)

38. Mavid says:

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy stuffed animals….

39. ZepFan2 says:

Est le but!

Quailer makes it 1-0 Dogs

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

40. Haborama says:

……. and Alex Galchenyuk is slapping the sh*t out of the OHL (52 points in 31 games) this is actually getting hilarious…….

41. Haborama says:

Thrower has an assist tonight, we can only hope…..

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have been trying without success to view online video highlights, or a replay of the Marquez-Pacquiao 4 fight

…would any of Our more computer literate members have a link, and techniques to get-around geographic blocks ?

…currently Google Search only provides Bleacher Report as a site with a link, and that link is blocked for some reason in my ‘geographic region’ (Heaven only knows why :( )

…anyhow, your assistance will be greatly appreciated by this Pacquiao fan :)

43. Haborama says:

Re that TIMO dude on the other thread: HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE RUSH, THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT BANDS EVER!!

RENTED BARN TIME!!!!!

• Boomer says:

What blasphemy was uttered against the holy triumvirate?!?

• punkster says:

Chill man…that “Timo dude” pretty well has carte blanche here to criticize just about anything under the sun, and a few things slithering under rocks, and usually does whenever the urge strikes him.

It’s his thang…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0mDIMJW50

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chris says:

I have to admit I’m with Timo on this one. Rush may very well be musical geniuses. I will never know.

Geddy Lee’s voice is just flat out abysmal.

• Da Hema says:

Perhaps you should confine your comments to hockey Chris. I concede I do not know you, but I suspect Geddy Lee has more talent in his thumb than the sum total of your lifetime contributions.

• Chris says:

Don’t mix personal musical taste with talent. Everybody is talented at something. I happen to be very, very good at what I do just as I am sure that Geddy Lee is a good musician.

And if it is any consolation, I can’t sing either. But the difference is that people don’t pay to listen to me sing.

Rush are an incredibly polarizing band, as they always have been. And the main reason for that is that there are a LOT of people who can’t stand Geddy Lee’s voice. This is why it has been so frequently parodied over the years.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – That may be true, but the same could be said for Dylan, Young and Hendrix.

You don’t need to have the perfect voice of an Elvis to be a rock icon.

44. Haborama says:

Re: Frontinac: VERY exited about that pairing mon ami, let’s hope it marks a positive turnaround for Tinordi (I still have faith in him as a prospect).

I still can’t believe that Jr.Butch was only 6,2 and 205, call me crazy but he looked A LOT bigger then that…………

45. Mavid says:

ooh thanks for the info…hockey in 55 in of glorious HD…criminal minds was kinda boring..and it had maggots…ug

• Blondie says:

You should have watched it, pretty good episode. At the end they set the background for the rest of the season – somebody emulating cases they’ve already solved.

Although, if I had TVA I’d be watching the dogs too. :)

46. Boomer says:

Just got home, anyone have a feed for the dogs game?

47. frontenac1 says:

Jeeze I’m happy that liitle IKEA monkey is back with his posse again. Stupid Humans.

48. frontenac1 says:

They have Tinordi paired with Commodore tonight. I haven’t seen that kind of size at the backend since Big Bird and Jr. Butch.

49. Habilis says:

When Josh Gorges is commenting on fashion trends, something is very, very wrong with this world. That man should be smashing things and blocking shots, not talking about his look. Not ever talking about his look.

This insanity must be stopped.

50. Carta-Hab says:

Anyone see this? Apparently Galchenyuk will be sent to an abbreviated training camp if the lockout ends even if it means he will miss the WJC. Thoughts?

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• 24 Cups says:

Huge mistake. There’s nothing to be gained from going to an abbreviated NHL camp with guys who are a bit emotionally fragile.

What is wrong with a young player ripping apart his junior league and then having the once in a lifetime experience of playing in the World Junior tournament? (Especially keeping in mind that he has lost a full year of development due to injury).

When you look at both scenarios, which one has more to offer? (keeping in mind he will get to attend next year’s NHL camp).

• ABHabsfan says:

Galchenyuk going to training camp for the Habs in late Dec would definitely help Canada in their quest for gold at the WJHC. Not sayin’ it’s a factor, not sayin’ it’s not. Just sayin’

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

I have no issue with MB recalling Gally. MB’s job is to treat the Habs as priority #1. It is unfortunate for Gally if indeed his WJC is cut short, but that is not a pro teams concern. Gally is an elite talent and an evaluation of him is required to find out if he can help the Habs this season. If training camp is very short, all the more reason that can’t be missed.

From a nice story perspective, yah it sucks for Gally, but in the big picture this is the pros and that is why the money is what it is. I respect MB for not letting a feel good story get in the way for doing what is in the Habs best interest.

• 24 Cups says:

“an evaluation of him is required to find out if he can help the Habs this season.”

Gerald – This kid has played one year of junior. In terms of his long term development, how can it help him to play above his head in the NHL with a basement dwelling team? He’ll get limited minutes, sit out games and struggle to make the grade. That’s the history of kids who have been rushed. Look no further than MaxPac, a player the Habs almost ruined.

Not to mention we eat a year of his UFA just to have him play as a sub during a 48 game season.

I thought the Habs were trying to be more like the Red Wings, not the Islanders.

• Habilis says:

I’m divided on this one. I simply don’t know which option is better for his development as a player. If he was Canadian that would be one thing, but is a run with team USA worth more than an NHL camp and probably at least 9 games? I honestly can’t decide, but then I don’t know much about team USA outside of Gally and Seth Jones.

• Carta-Hab says:

The way I look at it is that MB and his staff will evaluate Alex and if he is good enough to make the team, I don’t have an issue with it. He obviously has gotten over any lingering issues with is knee and is playing at the level he was expected to. That being said, I would be fine either way. Would love to see him play at the WJC.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

51. Bripro says:

I feel for our organization. Don’t get me wrong, with the amount of money that flushes through the system, I have no pity to give there.
    But what’s going on now…the lockout…
    I can’t help but think that the entire Montreal Canadiens family is caught up in this political B.S..
    By family, I mean the organization, the players, the affected merchants and industries, and most importantly us, the fans.
    If you take a look at the low-key approach taken by Geoff Molson and the administration, they’ve presented themselves in public with a great deal of tact and diplomacy.
    As for the players, be it their right to voice their opinions, they’ve done it with the understanding that they don’t envy Geoff Molson. There’s that level of respect, which I think transcends the organization.
    As for appealing to the fans, there’s nothing they can do. It’s controlled at a higher level by two people. Two egos.
    In paraphrasing an earlier article today (previous thread – too lazy to search), the only reason this deal isn’t done and wont get done is because of the hatred Bettman and Fehr have for each other.
    I say fire them both!

52. Habfan10912 says:

Congrats to Bill. He’s on a roll for sure.
    I know many here have been critical of some of the topics lately such as the fantasy season. Me? My problem has been with the players comments on the CBA. I’ve made a conscious decision to avoid reading these as they concern Hab players. I don’t want my fandom of Cole, Gionta, and Gorges to be impacted by what I read.
    ———————————–

• Bill J says:

I don’t mind it, I mean seriously. Most of us come here to read the comments primarily. So who the (insert bad word of your choice here) cares what the subject matter up above says.

Sometimes it’s good, sometimes bleh… It’s the company we keep that bring us back.

I do respect your position, my position is more about those complaining about threads by HI/O columnists.

You and HabFab have both been wise to take this approach. I suspect while the snippets I have read may frustrate me, it also shows the passion these guys have for their jobs.

More importantly I think it speaks volumes to Geoff Molsons ownership style that the Habs players have been free to speak. I find it interesting not one peep has been heard from a single Bruin. I am hopeful the players remember what kind of a person Geoff is and how he treats his players. I would like to think playing for an owner like Molson versus Jacobs must have some rewards, No?

• Bripro says:

I agree with Bill on the company we keep. That’s my primary reason for coming and posting as well. We’re free to do with little negative feedback. And at times we learn a little and teach a little (got HH writing lyrics).

As for not listening to whomever speaks, sorry, but I do. Call me a hockey junkie. I haven’t seen a single live game this year. Not a one!
        So I take it all in, and decide for myself what I think is real, and what’s not.

• twilighthours says:

See, this I don’t get. We fans have no stake in this lockout, and it doesn’t stop us from posting opinion after opinion. Sports writers have a minor stake yet they are on the soapbox all the time. So why would any of us begrudge (or consider stupid) the comments made from people inside the situation?

But I don’t read comments from players (or owners) either – I just find them boring.

So then in fairness if you haven’t read them, you wouldn’t know why some may find as frustrating. Listening to Erik Cole slamming Hamrlik was not something that impressed me. Hamrlik is a player who has paid many dues in this league having now been in his 3rd lockout. For him to be called out by Cole the way he was for voicing his opinion I found a bit disconcerting. Especially considering Cole has a 2 Million dollar signing bonus this season again, putting him in a much different position than a player who may be losing his last ever paycheque.

As for fans not having a stake, well when my money towards tickets and merchandise no longer goes to players and owners along with my cable bills I will then consider myself stakeless, until then I have a voice and it will be heard (even if only by me :) )

• HabFab says:

I don’t have problems with other players or owners, just don’t wish my Hab heroes to be tarnished (to me) by something they say in a moment of passion.
        We all have our idiosyncrasies :)

53. Bill J says:

Saaaaawwweeett, first again.

Bring on the fireworks!

Your computer is probably overheating Bill, I congratulate you on your latest feat!

• Bill J says:

Ha, to be fair I’m just excited at twice in a few weeks. :). I’m sure during the regular season, being first will become a much harder task to accomplish. We should tabulate a score sheet :). See who is the “First” champion at HI/O.

54. HabFab says:

That is the players point, their salaries would be cut back by %’s to reach this point. So 57 to 50% would result in a 10%+ roll back on all salaries.