Multimedia: Gorges interview; Max update; Dogs signings, camp

Josh Gorges

Josh Gorges speaks to HIO’s Dave Stubbs during their half-hour one-on-one at the Bell Sports Complex on Wednesday.
Video still

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges sat one-on-one for a half-hour Wednesday with HIO’s Dave Stubbs for a wide-ranging discussion about the Habs and the role Gorges sees for himself on the club. The video interview is broken into three parts here. Also: a Max Pacioretty update and Hamilton Bulldogs news:

• Gorges sat on the press gallery with Stubbs for a revealing interview we recorded and share here on video.and It’s nearly 30 minutes start to finish and covers Gorges’s thoughts on his health, shot-blocking, the Canadiens’ new front office, his leadership role with the team and much more.

• Habs forward Max Pacioretty was introduced to the Swiss media today at a news conference, Pacioretty having this weekend signed to play Swiss A League hockey with Ambri Piotta. He’s expected to debut on Friday. A story and photos to come from Swiss hockey blogger Andrea Branca.

• And the Canadiens announced the signing of goalie Cédrick Desjardins, forward Aaron Palushaj and defenceman Frédéric St-Denis to contracts. That release below, followed by news on the Bulldogs training camp, which begins Friday with medicals in Brossard. Click here and here for the Bulldogs camp roster in two parts; there is a magnifying function when you load the page.

MONTREAL, QC – Hamilton Bulldogs General Manager Marc Bergevin announced today the signings of goaltender Cedrick Desjardins, forward Aaron Palushaj and defenceman Frederic St-Denis to American Hockey League contracts.  As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Last season, Desjardins played 32 games with the Lake Erie Monsters, posting a 16-11-5 record and three shutouts.  During the 2011-2012 season, his sixth as a professional, Desjardins led the AHL with a .932 save percentage, finished third in the league with a 2.11 goals against average and was selected to represent his team at the 2012 American Hockey League All-Star Classic in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Desjardins, a native of Edmundston, New Brunswick, started his professional career with the Montreal Canadiens organization in 2006-2007.  In four seasons with the Hamilton Bulldogs, the 6’0”, 192-pound goaltender played 92 regular season games, accumulating a record of 49-27-5, a 2.34 goals against average, a .909 save percentage and 10 shutouts.  Desjardins also played in 10 Calder Cup Playoff games for the ‘Dogs, recording a 6-4-0 record, a 2.62 goals against average, a .902 save percentage and one shutout.

In 148 career regular season AHL games, Desjardins, 26, has a record of 80-43-12, a 2.33 goals against average, a .919 save percentage, 14 shutouts and was also named an American Hockey League Second-Team All-Star in 2010.  In two career National Hockey League games with the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 2010-2011 season, Desjardins went 2-0-0 with a 1.00 goals against average and a .968 save percentage.  Desjardins also led the Cincinnati Cyclones to the ECHL championship and captured the Kelly Cup Playoffs Most Valuable Player Award in 2008.

Palushaj, 23, finished third on the Bulldogs in points in 2011-2012 with 35 (15 goals, 20 assists), while collecting seven powerplay goals, six game-winning goals, 115 shots on goal and 35 penalty minutes.  The 5’11”, 187-pound forward also played 38 games for the Canadiens last season, recording five points (one goal, four assists), 37 shots on goal and eight penalty minutes.  Palushaj recorded his first-career NHL point on February 5th, 2012 against the Winnipeg Jets and scored his first-career NHL goal on March 17th, 2012 versus the New York Islanders.

Palushaj ranks 20th in all-time points with the Hamilton Bulldogs with 102 (40 goals, 62 assists) in 121 games over three seasons.  In 169 career regular season AHL games with the Peoria Rivermen and Hamilton Bulldogs, the native of Livonia, Michigan has registered 126 points (47 goals, 79 assists).  Palushaj played 82 games for the University of Michigan of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association from 2007-2009 notching 94 points (23 goals, 71 assists).  Palushaj was acquired from St. Louis in exchange for forward Matt D’Agostini on March 3rd, 2010, after being originally selected by the Blues in the second round, 44th overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

In 2011-2012, St-Denis, 26, played 58 games with Hamilton, recording 28 points (three goals, 25 assists), 114 shots on goal and 18 penalty minutes.  St-Denis was selected to represent the Bulldogs at the 2012 American Hockey League All-Star Classic in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  After making his National Hockey League debut with Montreal on November 16th, 2011 vs. the Carolina Hurricanes, the 5’11″, 182-pound defenceman played in 17 games with the Canadiens, notching three points (one goal, two assists), 11 shots on goal, 10 penalty minutes and a +3 rating.

In 200 career AHL games, all with Hamilton, St-Denis has produced 70 points (12 goals, 58 assists), 96 penalty minutes and a +29 rating.  The native of Greenfield Park, Quebec is fifth all-time on the Bulldogs in assists by a defenceman with 58, sixth all-time by a defenceman in points with 70 and eighth all-time by a defenceman in games played with 200.  St-Denis was originally signed by the Montreal Canadiens as a free agent on July 1, 2010.

1. Dulljerk says:

I see the Dogs have also signed Zach Stortini to a one year contract, an experienced pugilist who was the heavyweight champ in the OHL when he played for the Sudbury Wolves.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

2. Cal says:

Game 8 of the 72 Summit Series is about to be replayed on TSN. Time to relive my younger days. :)

3. Sean Bonjovi says:

Here’s a story about Erk Karlsson signing in Finland. I thinks it’s worth reading for the quote and the translation.

• JayK-47 says:

“As a GP could write yesterday as Erik Karlsson, 22, signed for Finnish Jokerit. It confirms the club on its website.

The contract with Jokerit runs month to month, allowing Karlsson is not completely lost for Frolunda in a long NHL lockout.

- Erik Karlsson is the world’s best player and have skills that are absolutely exceptional, says Jarmo Kekäläinen, Jokerits general manager to the club’s website.

Erik Karlsson is good friends with Jarkko Ruutu Jokerits, which is said to have played in the global shoe decision to move to Finland.

Last season was noted Karlsson for 78 points for the Ottawa Senators and won the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s best back.”

-Johan Shield

4. Mavid says:

I love Ellen..the replacement refs are employee’s from foot locker..

5. ed lopaz says:

habitant in Surrey – you are absolutely correct. the fan has rights. and Edmonton fans have the right to show their displeasure by not spending their money.

In fact, that is my position right now concerning the NHL

I am totally opposed to this lockout and I refuse to spend money on NHL products.

That is my choice. That is my right.

6. Mavid says:

I am pretty sure I have gone insane….yes there is the 67′s and others but its just not the same..sorry…

7. shiram says:

Thank you Dave Stubbs for doing the interview and posting on here, I really enjoyed them.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I thought it was a great interview too …My favourite bit was Josh’s revelation on how difficult it was for Him to wear goalie-equipment
      …I was a goalie, a goalie that could only dream to skate like a Lafleur or Richard …but, proud of what I could do in nets
      …so, nice to hear someone like Josh acknowledging that
      …Dave Stubbs does excellent video work, and hope this type of stuff in HIO will keep Us restless types ‘calm’ until We get these Guys back on the ice, where They belong

• Bripro says:

I love how he’s mentoring Gallagher.
      Gorges is a composed mature individual, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the next recipient of the “C”.

8. AllHailTheFlower says:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Essentially (I guess), Yakupov is in violation of his contract with the Sting – if he were to be “sent back” I guess it would be of benefit to Galchenyuk’s development.

9. JayK-47 says:

I won’t deny it, I was a proponent of moving Pleks at the deadline or this past summer. What I saw last season was a burnt out player who was way overused in every situation and given a revolving cast of either skilled wingers who put out at a random 50% of the time or hands of stone lunkheads who didn’t deserve to share the ice. And it showed. Pleks often held the puck too long, and fired a wrister into the goalie rather then dish to whomever was his wing that shift. After, he would immediately peel back to the neutral zone to defend because he was trying to do everything. With the addition of Prust and Armstrong and the maturing of Eller, I thought Pleks could do well this year with better quality shifts and more offensive zone starts. All he needs, is a GD winger or two like the ones the Habs never went and got Koivu.

10. Psycho29 says:

Advanced screening of the Friday afternoon NHL-NHLPA meeting…..

I think the agreement will be signed on Friday night

In other Czech Extraliga news Radek Bonk has 6 points in 2 games, I say we sign him to a $5million per year contract :)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…if My Daughter ever brings home a guy with that name I will seriously consider radical surgical removal of his lower extremities

…and, I’m serious ! :)

• The Dude says:

My youngest daughter just turned 12…..and that’s 12 spikes in the Louisville slugger.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…mine is 14, and I am looking at chastity-belt catalogues :)

• Bripro says:

You had better hurry up.
            My grandson’s mother was 14 when she fell pregnant. No kidding.
            No she’s not my daughter.
            And yes, we’ve become a statistic.

• kempie says:

Mine’s a boy so yeah, I’m pretty thankful.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I also have a daughter that is now 42 …so, I’ve been through the emotional blender before Brian …it took nerves of steel, but she and I turned-out fine
            …the challenge is to stay firm, fair, wise and balanced
            …the key ?, keep ‘communication’, the ability ‘to talk’, open

• Bripro says:

I also have a daughter who’ll be 21 on sunday.
            It was my son, as a 16-year old, who lost his way, so to speak.
            Our grandson lives with us and is basically our third child.
            My son is thinking of going to find work in Alberta.
            Lock up your daughters. ;)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that’s the hypocritical side of being a Dad, at least speaking for Myself …as I have been a heat-seeking missile since I was 12 or 13 up to, almost, this day :)

12. commandant says:

Desjardins is the most valuable of the three on the ice. Without him the Bulldogs have no goalie.

St. Denis might be the biggest signing of the three though, as an AHL vet I hope he can show the young D the ropes.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

13. Mustang says:

The only way to hurt the owners and the wiesel Commisioner is to hit them in their wallets. A boycott probably wouldn’t work so does anyone have another idea? It would have to be something that would spread to all 30 cities, or at least to as many as possible.

• bwoar says:

Fungus spreads cheaply, I’m told.

You could always start a Facebook campaign. I’m told those are very successful!

• --Habs-- says:

Yes simple…….Email all NHL sponsors and tell them you will not support/buy their products if they keep advertising. Look at logos along the boards, team websites, TSN, CBC, Bell Center. Put enough pressure and you can hit them where their wallets are located.

Go HABS Go

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if I was an Edmonton Oiler fan I would be going through the roof over what Katz is doing

• ed lopaz says:

not sure what the problem is. Katz is trying to put pressure on the city council and trying to influence them into giving him a more financially lucrative deal to own and operate a business in Edmonton.

it is entirely fair and reasonable to do this.

it is also entirely fair and reasonable for the municipal council to reject Katz’s offers, as they have for 4 years running. these are democratically elected officials and I would expect them to protect their constituents’ interests.

somehow, here on HIO, the posters believe that the owners have some kind of “obligation” to the fans – and in some cases – they believe that the owners should choose to reduce their profit or accept losses in order to satisfy their fans.

why don’t we just allow democracy to work for us??

if the people of Edmonton, as represented by their city council members, refuse Katz and reject his offers, then so be it. that is their free and democratic choice to make.

I have no problem with an owner trying to pressure government and trying to secure government assistance. Big, private businesses in Canada have been subsidized by government handouts to keep or attract their business for years.

The government should protect the fans, the voters, the constituents. And any deal that is not in Edmonton’s interests put forward by Katz should be soundly defeated, until Katz changes his deal and makes it more appealing to the citizens of Edmonton.

That is the fair and democratic way.

• Cal says:

“Big, private businesses in Canada have been subsidized by government handouts to keep or attract their business for years.”

This is where your argument loses traction. Those companies getting government assistance actually create well-paying jobs for employees, and, usually, these workers pay lots of taxes back into the system. What Katz wants is for taxpayers to finance his “entertainment” enterprise, and, yes, I have a HUGE problem with that.
        The “sports economic benefits” lies that have been foisted upon American taxpayers’ shoulders are exceptionally bad pyramid schemes, with multi-millionaire or billionaire owners being the main beneficiary of this inept largesse.
        When the “New Forum” was being built here in Montreal, it was financed by the owners of the Habs. You’d figure a pharmaceutical baron like Katz would have more scratch lying around and he’d be able to pay for this like any other business. In other words, the customer pays the freight, not just some poor schmuck who hates hockey and happens to live in Edmonton.

• Bripro says:

Sorry Cal, but I can’t agree with you on this.
          And here is why.
          And take note, that this was the last of many hand-outs, totalling over $300MM in interest-free money. Where are they now?

• Cal says:

5 years left on that loan, but a better example is the money to Hyundai for that Bromont plant. About $500 mil, I believe. But my point remains: government moneys for entertainment enterprises is foolish.

• ed lopaz says:

Cal, all I’m saying is that the owner has the right to ask for the handout.

The city, if they feel its a bad deal, should simply say no to the owner’s request.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…and, the fan has the ‘right’ to be disgusted and alienated by the owner, no Ed ? …maybe, even do their drugstore shopping at Shoppers’ Drug Mart ?

• Cal says:

All businessmen can be corporate welfare bums. Many choose not to be.

I understand your argument Ed, but for starters you are now asking politicians to be guardians of taxpayers money and to treat it as not their own money. This is a rarity now in politicians.

Also, seems like the City and Katz had an agreement and it appears Katz has requested closed doors meetings where he may be tweaking ™ the agreement.

Add to that, he hasn’t put a winning product on the ice in years and now is threatening his loyal fans with moving team seems like poor decision making at best.

If the City until now was completely against helping him, all the while he was providing a great product and still losing money, that would be understandable.

What is most dispicable about this guy though, is that the premise of his original request to city was that he couldn’t make money while being just a tenant of an arena. So the city worked with him on that. Yet the city he now threatens to move to, would make him just a tenant.

Your points are valid, but it doesn’t excuse Katz from being a complete lying arsehole.

• ed lopaz says:

I am not defending Katz as a person. I am defending his “right” to pursue the best deal he can get. That’s part of the business. Working with (and sometimes at odds with) the city host.

I am defending the “system”.

Allow the people to have their interests protected, and allow the owner to protect his interests.

• frontenac1 says:

Damn right we do Ed! Hockey is more than just a business to a lot of us here.

• The Dude says:

Christopher …first you go after a a fellow by the name Jacobs and then you go after a dude named Katz. THERE’S A PATTERN HERE my friend and it has to do with not eating pig! :)

…hmmm, good Christians and bad Christians, good Jews and bad Jews
        …these guys are certainly 2 of the badder putzes Stephen

• frontenac1 says:

Some of these Bast*rd plutocrat owners don’t give a sh*t about Hockey. Check their Bio”s and resumes. Their “teams” are just one more little toy in their box that that they can brag about until they are tired of it. And then throw away. The players and their families have given their whole lives to the game. I’m with the players and the die hard fans . Lafleur had it right, contract the league to 24 teams and split revenue 50/50 with owners. Vive La Revolucion!

• --Habs-- says:

Well this goes without saying but! My bigger argument are the dollars spent by cities to keep teams, attract teams and help build rinks for teams. I’ve never had an issue with tax payer money helping to improve a city, province state….! That’s not the issue here. The city of Edmonton has already put up hundreds of millions of dollars to previous owners to build the current rink, pay to get a franchise in the City and I can go on and on. Then somebody comes alone, doesn’t like the deal and threatens to walk with the team that the people of Edmonton have already paid for. The other side of this is the example below with Hyundai. You have a choice with Hyundai. You don’t buy their cars. You can’t not go to a game and not buy season tickets in Seattle as an Edmontonian. So here’s my take. From now on a City that has to invest a dime in a franchise now owns part of that franchise in the form of a departure tax. We have welcome taxes all over North America. Why not levy a departure tax on franchises that decide to walk after a 40 year investment. Maybe you would get owners that are a little more serious and homers that have an investment in the city instead of investors that are hundreds and thousands of miles away and don’t give a hoot.

Go HABS Go

15. mark-ID says:

That is 11 points(6 G’s, 5 A’s) in 4 games i believe.

16. Bripro says:

Pleks collected a hat trick and an assist on a line with Jagr (1 G, 3 A) in a 6-3 victory.
    And to think, there was so much talk about trading him.
    At least Shiram and I have pushed the idea of how effective he can be with a top winger. And now he’s proving it.

• Kooch7800 says:

He is a great player. You do have to remember though that the competition is not NHL level.

I think he will light it up over there with the style of game he plays. He is an underrated play maker and if you give him more time on the big ice he is going to be even better.

Hopefully this builds up his confidence before coming back.

• mark-ID says:

That’s it, as soon as the strike is over….we need to trade for Jagr, lol.

How much is he making again this year in Dallas>?

• shiram says:

High five Bripro!
      Just too bad we don’t get to see him do it live. And as great as his PK skills and the defensive side of his game are, he is still a fast skater with good hands and great vision, his offense was stiffled some with a combinaison of poor wingers and big defensive responsibilities.

• Bripro says:

Kooch, I’ll give that. The competition is probably not as strong, but that doesn’t take away from his ability and playmaking with a top winger. And agreed, he’s under-rated.
      Mark, it’s unfortunate indeed that we didn’t sign Jagr. Seeing those two play here as they’re evidently doing over there would be sweet!
      And right back at you Shiram! Nice to see we’re proven right, eh?
      Speaking of which, where’s Tom when you want to start a good argument?

• shiram says:

Tom’s been gone a while, but while I would not say I agree with him, his reasoning was sound. He felt that moving forward the Habs could not keep Eller/DD/Pleks/Galchenuyk on the long term, and with the new management vowing to go after the french speaking Québecois guys, well that would mean DD has a guarenteed spot, Eller and Galchenyuk are the young and upcoming guys, so that left the “old” Pleks to deal away for good assets.
        I think there’s a better way to manage assets and I also think none of the centers we have now can claim to be as good overall as Plekanec is right now.

• piper says:

Good. Do you think that will improve his trade value?

17. mark-ID says:

Tomas Plekanec with 3 goals and 1 assist today. Man, I love seeing him tear it up.

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I used to think this as pie-in-the-sky, but the more I see the NHL going down the road, the more I am coming around to the idea that an autonomous Canadian Hockey League is fiscally sustainable

…elite-level professional hockey in Canada is at the mercy of Americans and decisions made in New York …the average American can live with or without hockey …it is just another ‘option’ as an athletic diversion …yet, in Canada, for the average Canadian, hockey is core to our culture and soul, as much as it is ‘a sport’

…the US can have it’s North American ‘division’, and Canada it’s own autonomous division …both division champions can compete for the Stanley Cup in the Spring as before, but the Cup would be the ‘property’ of Canadians, and competed for by 2 Canadian teams if for any reason the US ‘division’ can not compete for reasons like a lock-out, strike, or other reasons

…I would be very surprised if elite-level professional hockey is not fiscally self-sustainable if played exclusively across Canada

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Kooch7800 says:

NY, Detroit and Boston should be included in the Canadian hockey league as well. They have loyal fans Make it an 10 team league.

Montreal
      Toronto
      Quebec City
      Winnipeg
      Edmonton
      Calgary
      Vancouver
      Boston
      New York
      Detroit

That would be an awesome hockey league

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…unfortunately, including Boston, Detroit and New York, or any other US team, defeats the rationale of having an autonomous ‘Canadian’ league …and, to have a Jeremy Jacobs as an ‘owner’ in any Canadian league is like having a resident fox in the chicken-coop
        …no, it’s ALL Canadian, or nothing

• Kooch7800 says:

If it is a new league it doesn’t mean that you have to have the same owners as the NHL!

Even with a Canada only league Money would screw up everything. It always does in a capitalistic society.
          The league would be hugely profitable and then you would still have bickering over how much the players get vs the owners.

The NHL needs to leave some of the bottom feeder teams like Phoenix, Florida etc but I don’t think the US needs to be excluded from all teams. Detroit is a huge hockey town and the Rangers fans are also extremely passionate. I have clients all over the US and many of them are die hard hockey fans. I have seen games in Chicago and the building was electric.

• Phil C says:

Might as well include Chicago and have all the original six. Add another Toronto area team, or Ottawa, and make it 12 teams.

• Phil C says:

The only way it would work is if you could attract all the NHL stars, or at least most of them. This would be tough because so many of them own lucrative NHL contracts, it would be difficult for them to walk away. I believe Spezza is paying 50K/month to insure his NHL contract, so he is essentially playing for free right now. The NHL has golden handcuffs on all the stars.

• Bripro says:

Chris, I’d agree that we should at least include the original six, and call it the Northern Hockey League.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…see above Brian, it’s all-Canadian or nothing, a separate Canadian division with a few American franchises does not make sense, and is unrealistic
        …it’s nice if possible to go back in time, but unrealistic
        …a ‘Canadian Division or League, simply is intended to minimize any more of these ‘lost seasons’
        …whether American Original-6 teams, or not, American franchisees’ interests are not the same as their Canadian peers

• Bripro says:

I’m not so sure. If you look at the teams located close to our border, I would suspect that most of those teams have a large fan base. Teams located, for instance in New York, Minnesota, Illinois and Michigan.
          These are people who probably bleed hockey as much (or close) as we do. I just don’t think that Canadian-only would be sufficient to attract the star players, but throw those into the mix, tell Butthead to take his desert and sun-belt teams and take a hike, and I think we’d have something.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the Rangers, Bruins, North Stars, Red Wings, et al are all up Buttman’s butt …do You seriously think they would be interested to join a ‘Canadian division’ ?
            …I’m not saying there are no American franchises without passionate fan bases, but none are interested to join a ‘Canadian division or league’

• Bripro says:

We’re only speculating anyhow, since it’s not going to happen. But if I were to launch a Canadian league, I’d do what I have to to attract top players, and I would solicit those regions.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think, with resolve, it can happen …much of the NHL’s current revenues and profit comes out of it’s Canadian franchises …we can easily compete financially for talent …in fact, I would integrate the draft with the US teams, but our player/team contracts would be based on our own respective CBAs

…I am not thinking of a ‘rival league’ …I am thinking 2 autonomous ‘divisions’ thinking of it’s own best-interests

…I hate, really hate, to bring-up this analogy, but here goes :) …think of Quebec’s ‘notwithstanding clause’ :)

• Bripro says:

Oui!!! C’est vrai, ça!
            We shud ‘av a Québec league!
            I will pass bill in maison des communes for da teems in
            Montréal (dats for shore), Québec, Rimouski, Chicoutimi, Sherbrooke, Gatineau/hull and we wood ‘av a ligue versus Canada et les États Unis.
            Tank ‘u.

Pauline Marois.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…heh heh :) …thought that would get You goin’ :)

• chilli says:

Wouldn’t work. It would become a 2nd rate league. The best players from the rest of the world wouldn’t come and play here. You think anyone from another country with a right mind wants to live in Hamilton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Quebec…or even Edmonton over NY, LA, Chicago, Boston. I have 2 friends that play for the Oil and one for Winnipeg. They tell me that any player that is not a Canadian bumpkin like Ryan Smyth (who wanted Edmonton over LA) hate living in those cities.

Tre

19. bwoar says:

Glad to see official confirmation of these three signings.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…creating new competing franchises in the US markets You are talking about is not realistic
    …the point I am trying to make is that Canadian franchises can negotiate their own CBAs with their players …our franchises would be more inclined not to cancel seasons like American owners
    …the Canadian division will still play interleague with existing American teams, but will autonomously control things like CBAs, lock-outs and strikes, affecting potential lost seasons

21. Ron says:

How long before this gets noticed by the staff and taken down.

22. Ron says:

Here they go again. Putting this crap on all articles.