Gorges stunned by Habs’ desire to trade him, now waiting for next move

screen-capture

Josh Gorges believes he’s played his last game for the Canadiens.
Grant Halverson, Getty Images

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

The bomb rocked Josh Gorges on Saturday, his agent calling with a request the veteran defenceman thought he’d never hear:

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin needed Gorges’s permission to trade him, ostensibly to shave salary off the team’s cap.

Now, it seems that Gorges, the player many thought was the Habs’ captain-in-waiting, has played his last game in Montreal, his future NHL home far from decided as of Monday afternoon.

As Gorges was considering his world having been turned upside down, the Canadiens traded Daniel Brière to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for fellow forward Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau and a 2015 fifth-round draft choice.

This all a day before the free-agency window opens, with Bergevin looking to improve his team that came within two wins of advancing to this spring’s Stanley Cup final.

“You’re never ready for it,” Gorges said Monday of the Saturday call from his agent, Kevin Epp. “You’re never expecting it so yeah, you’re a little bit blown away.

“You try to figure out why it’s happening and what the reasons are. But ultimately, I guess it’s not necessarily for me to know. It’s not my job to know, so I sit and I wait. And I hope that things fall into place.”

Gorges has four seasons remaining on his six-year, $23.4-million contract. The 29-year-old native of Kelowna, B.C., has a modified no-trade clause which listed 15 teams – all in the U.S. – to which he would agree to be dealt.

Gorges said Monday that the list has grown by “a couple” of teams in Canada, clubs he would not specify.

One of them is not Toronto, which is where the story takes its sharpest turn.

TSN hockey analyst Bob McKenzie reported Monday that the Canadiens had a deal in place with the Maple Leafs that would see a roster player from Toronto come to Montreal in exchange for Gorges.

But Gorges reportedly refused to waive his no-trade clause to include the Maple Leafs, leaving him, for now, in a state of suspended animation.

The defenceman would neither confirm nor deny the Toronto angle of the story, but clearly were the Leafs one of his “couple” of Canadian cities he had added to his list, he’d be on his way.

“I found out about this like everyone else did,” he said.

Would it be safe to say he’s in a state of shock? I asked him.

“Yes.”

“I leave the business side of things to my agent, to talk to the team and figure all that stuff out,” he said. “I was sitting at home and got the call that they needed my permission to move me.

“These are tough details for me to go into. I don’t want anyone looking bad, but to my understanding it’s a business decision that had to be made in order to free up some cap space.”

A huge portion of that cap space, without question, is to accommodate the monster contract that is coming to defenceman P.K. Subban.

Gorges’s cap hit is $3.9 million for each season of the four remaining on the contract.

He said he had no hint that a trade might be coming when he sat with Bergevin at season’s end, players normally meeting the GM for a debriefing before they break for summer.

“My meetings went, I feel, as well as they possibly could have gone,” Gorges said. “At the end of the season, the way it finished (with a six-game Eastern Conference loss to the New York Rangers), obviously there’s disappointment in not following through in what we set out to do.

“But besides that, there definitely was no indication on my part that I would no longer be here.”

Should the Canadiens not find a place to deal Gorges, they have the option of putting him on waivers. At that point, he could be claimed by any of the NHL’s 29 clubs, albeit without compensation paid to the Habs.

So Gorges knows it’s a calculated risk on his part not to accept a trade, even if it means waiving his no-trade to facilitate a deal to a team that’s not on his preferred list.

“It’s something that you definitely have to sit and discuss,” he said. “I have to discuss it with my wife – do we take that chance and roll the dice and then let the chips fall where they may and go wherever we end up?

“Or do we decide that (a trade destination) is a good fit for us and we can do well there? I have to make those decisions when they approach me.”

Gorges said it’s likely he’s played his last game for the Canadiens, the team that acquired him on Feb. 25, 2007 from the San Jose Sharks along with a 2007 first-round draft pick – that would be Max Pacioretty – for veteran defenceman Craig Rivet and a 2008 pick.

It’s almost impossible to imagine that Gorges would be back in Montreal given the hard, sour-taste business of the past couple of days. But if that somehow did come to pass, Gorges says he’d bring the same work ethic that has been a hallmark of his 560 regular-season NHL games, 464 of them played for the Canadiens.

That work ethic, his body-sacrificing, shot-blocking game and his accountability after a win or loss has been beyond reproach, as have his leadership skills that have been an important quality in the dressing room.

“From my understanding, it’s not very likely (I play again with the Canadiens),” he said. “But if that’s the case, no matter what jersey you put on, you put it on with pride. You go out there and do your job because that’s what you’re supposed to do.

“No matter what happens, I’m fortunate enough to be in the NHL. So wherever I end up, and if it is back in Montreal, you go out there and do what you’re supposed to do because that’s your job. Until that gets decided, and now we sit and wait, wherever I end up, you go and put everything you have into that team, just like you would have before.”

Gorges has no idea about the next move in this chess game, or when it will be made. Presumably, it won’t drag on if Subban’s contract hinges at least in part on Gorges’s status.

“I wish I had an idea,” he said. “To be honest, for me, it now becomes almost like a waiting game. I have almost no power in this. I sit and I wait and I try to not think about it as much as I possibly can.

“When things like this happen, it’s not in my control. I’ve never asked for this. I never asked to leave the team, I’ve never even thought about that before.

“So you do your best to go about your everyday life and focus on family as much as possible, especially right now. When you hear news, you react to it then. There’s not much more that I can do right now that will change anything.”

He’s not certain whether he’ll hear directly from Bergevin, coach Michel Therrien or anyone else in the team’s management.

“I think most of this is going to go through Kevin (agent Epp), but who knows?” Gorges said. “If they want to try to contact me, they’re more than welcome to.

“To be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve been traded once. I was young, it happened in a day so I don’t know what ‘normal’ is in this situation.”

Gorges said he’s spoken with a number of teammates about the situation, including Brendan Gallagher, who since he arrived with the Canadiens in 2012-13 has lived with Gorges and Maggie in their South Shore home.

“I guess it’s shocking to everybody. You never expect to hear that news,” Gorges said of teammates’ reaction, adding that he didn’t want to mention anyone by name. “You know this is possible every single day but you never expect to hear it.

“It was shocking to hear it but again, nobody is ever safe.”

For now, Gorges sits stunned at home, learning first-hand the cruelty of the business of hockey. For now, he says, he’ll focus on the child that he and Maggie will soon welcome.

And then the family will consider their next home, roots they’d planted in Montreal not nearly as deep as they believed they were.

dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

Twitter: Dave_Stubbs

1,380 Comments

1. JF says:

This Gorges business is very messy, and I’m not sure whether the Habs are at fault or not. According to François Gagnon, Bob McKenzie said on Saturday that a deal had been reached between the Habs and Leafs that awaited only Gorges’s consent. But according to the story above, Gorges only heard about the deal the same day from his agent. Does that mean Bergevin made the deal before he contacted Gorges? If this is the case, I assume he did not go public with it. So who did? Was the whole thing initiated by a trade offer from the Leafs, who did not keep it private? And has Bergevin even talked to Gorges or has the whole thing been done through his agent? Whatever, the result is that the Habs look bad for the moment (at least until we know more). The most surprising thing is that any of it got out before the deal was finalized; Bergevin has so far excelled at keeping his moves under cover.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Leafs should look bad as they clearly leaked it. Coincidence that no Leaf player was mentioned???

• JF says:

You’re probably right that the Leafs leaked it. I really can’t imagine Bergevin doing so. But it does create a difficult situation for him (and Gorges).

• HabFab says:

“Gorges was at home Saturday with his wife, Maggie, their first child due within a week, when he took agent Epp’s call.”

I remember the Leafs and Habs talking on Friday night during the Draft. Apparently a deal was finalized on Saturday depending on Gorges waiving his LTC against TO. Sounds like someone in Toronto has a big mouth or they were trying to press the issue.

2. DipsyDoodler says:

Algeria putting up a very good fight against Germany, but a German goal is coming.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

3. Chris says:

I am a little surprised to see that nobody used a late round draft pick on Vail after he was freed by the Habs. He will definitely be signed as a UFA by somebody looking for a guy who could develop into a checking line centre down the road (Pittsburgh?).

• Un Canadien errant says:

I just posted on that on the next page. Lukas Sutter is the only player who re-entered the draft who got picked as far as I know.

4. SPATS says:

MB certainly isn’t the Ghost… Anybody else see him waiving bye bye Boooods before midnight? The Locker room is certainly losing some character. Gotta figure this is PK and Pricers team now. Bring back “C”OIVU or go after IGGY? What the heck, the surprises keep coming!

5. BriPro says:

On Twitter:
    Canadiens announced that qualifying offers were submitted to the following restricted free agents: Lars Eller, P.K. Subban, Joonas Nattinen

6. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The Maple Leaks don’t look too professional on this one, but you can’t blame Bergevin for responding to an offer. The offer must have been good not to be rejected outright, and Gorges had to be contacted. The NHL is a nasty business, and old Josh seems to be a victim of Subban’s demands. You can’t blame Subban – that’s how the NHL works. It’s an individualistic league.
    And Gorges is getting good money too. He is a solid player and would be missed. Lots of fans have complained about his not being Larry Robinson, but Josh Gorges has been a reliable, gutsy Hab, and players like him don’t grow on trees or come out of video games. The young d-men are cheaper, and PK is grabbing a very large chunk of the pie. I don’t begrudge him the overpayment, but the percentage of the salary mass he is grabbing will hurt longterm.
    Losing him would probably hurt more.
    So now a solid veteran d-man is in play, and the Leafs have made a move to try to sour the market. Let’s hope MB gets a good forward for this good defenceman.
    I like the Parenteau pick-up. Briere is done, and if Parenteau gives 20 goals, great. If not, it was a reasonable gamble.

7. HabFab says:

Another WOW!

Ryan White was not qualified and is now an UFA.

8. mdp2011 says:

@renlavoietva: Ryan White is now UFA. The Canadiens did not give him his qualifying offer. #tvasports

9. HairyHabist says:

Want to make a good player unhappy with his team so you can pick him up for peanuts?

Start a rumour that his team is trying to trade him.

10. Landof10000lakesHab says:

So, a number of posters anxious to see a “3rd” pair Habs Dman moved out of Habville today. While I agree that his salary was at the upper end relative to skill set, one must keep in mind that Gorges had the 2nd / 3rd highest ATOI on the Habs over the past several years, which makes Gorges at least a #3 Dman, and as a top four Dman, he was a decent cap value. Hope he lands on a decent team out west that will value all that he brings to each game. I do also hope that MB gets a return moreso than just a cap dump.

11. VintageFan says:

Too much money on Markov, Too much money on Desharnais, now they need to clear cap space for Gionta by trading a heart and soul guy? What is this , the Keystone Habs?

12. Hobie says:

Losing Gionta and Briere and replacing them with Parenteau is an absolute win-win situation.

As we saw last season, it was a real chore just to find a line for Briere to play on half the time. We also saw Gionta really struggle on the defensive side of the puck in the playoffs. Also, they’re both small!

Gorges as well. He has NEVER recovered except for a small stretch of games here or there from the departure of Jacques Martin and his system. Gorges continued to ride the coattails of being a throw in in a trade many years ago. People were pleasantly surprised he was actually an NHL player and that somehow morphed into him being this amazing shutdown defenceman.

• HabFab says:

Apparently they are still talking to Gionta and as of noon had not qualified White.

• Phil C says:

I don’t think PAP plays any bigger than Gionta. He may be bigger on paper, but not in a meaningful way on the ice. He is an offensive specialist who should help the PP. I hope he can get along with Therrien who demands a high standard defensively (but not offensively unfortunately).

But his size stats should help those who fret about these things.

• Hobie says:

He has a longer reach, gets bumped of the puck less easily, is younger, probably faster at this point. When a guy who’s 6′ tall goes into a corner to get a puck he’ll probably have a higher success rate than a guy who’s 5’8″.

Big defencemen were simply putting their rear end in in Gionta’s face and playing keep away. They will have a harder time doing that with Parenteau.

• BriPro says:

I’ll agree with most of your perspective Hobie, but calling Gorges a “throw-in” player? I don’t think so….

He was very effective from the first day he got here, and he made Gainey look pretty brilliant at the time. It helped that Carbo gave him top-D minutes.

You keep hearing the old cliche, “A heart-and-sould guy”. That’s true. And I’m convinced he wore the CH on his sleeve, symbolically-speaking.

You have to feel for the guy, business or no business.

• Hobie says:

He was a throw in at the time he arrived in Montreal. Montreal traded Craig Rivet to SJ for a 1st round pick and they tossed Josh Gorges in.

The media enjoyed pumping the Habs tires by saying we really pulled a fast one over SJ by obtaining Gorges in the deal as well. That’s how I saw it anyway. I could be wrong :-).

• BriPro says:

You’re probably right about the draft pick. That I don’t remember. But I do remember Carbonneau’s excitement in speaking with the french media and saying how proud he was of Gainey for such a strong trade.

13. Trollhunter says:

a boat load of cash to one player would suck. It would be cool to see a guy say I`ll take just a bit less so our gm can go and sign some more high end talent so we can win a cup… But alas as one of my favorite groups growing up, Wu-Tang, so eloquantely put it:
    C.R.E.A.M
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
    cream get the money…
    dolla dolla bills y`all…

great song check it out:
    Old school baby!

S G

14. B says:

Gorges will be fine. He has his family, he has his faith and he has already earned about $15M in salary so far in his NHL career. He will remain very comfortable and soon get over his shock and disappointment.

I hold no malice towards him and I don’t think the team does either. He was a good soldier for the Habs, but they evaluated things after the season and for various reasons made some decisions for the team moving forward.

–Go Habs Go!–

15. Cal says:

You have to like how driven to improve the team Bergevin is. Getting Parenteau for Brière did two things. It corrected last season’s UFA contract for Brière and gets a player that may give the Habs 20 to 25 goals a year until 2016- only 2 short seasons. I notice MB’s not big on long contract terms when he makes trades. That’s what a smart GM does.
    Moving Gorges may give MB the room needed to sign PK for that 8 year term and make him captain same day. Let’s face it: PK Subban is the face of the new NHL. And it’s about time, isn’t it?

• johnnylarue says:

Can I get an amen?

• bwoar says:

I think you, MB and I are riding the same bus today Cal. A bit sloppy the way this Gorges thing has gone, and regrettable, but great job fixing the mistake of Briere, and now trying to pave the way for PK to take on a bigger role with the team.

Does anyone really doubt that it’s his team?

• habcertain says:

They picked up an additional year at $4m for a guy who has under performed and does not deliver much more than Briere. Watch how respectable Briere’s numbers are next year with the Avs, if he is given the ice time. Parenteau is just the new dog for the house, he is not a MT type player.

• BriPro says:

I’m with you on MB, Cal. He’s pretty sharp.

The Briere signing ended up being questionable because of the relationship between Briere and MT.

But that’s been fixed. And we’ve heard rumours of Parenteau and Roy’s dislike for each other as well. Rumours?…. no idea.

But the kid’s got a boatload of talent, is younger but not so young that MT won’t use him as often.

And although I too really appreciated what Gorges brought to the game, it was quite obvious that he’s not as effective defensively, blocking shots aside, than he used to be and there are still 3-4 years left on his contract.

I’m wondering if MB isn’t planning a major UFA signing, since the GMs were already allowed to approach those UFAs over the last week.

Aside from PKs obvious signing, perhaps MB has his eye out for that elusive RW or big D.

Interesting times, my friend!

16. mrhabby says:

When Josh leaves hockey a PR job is out there somewhere.

17. ClutchNGrab says:

Other “next captain” of the Canadiens of the past:
    – Chris Higgins
    – Mike Komisarek

18. durocher says:

My guess is the offer was Franson for Gorges. Franson is a RH, big (6’5″ 213), had 200+ hits last season, and can play on the second unit of the PP. PP could look like this:

First unit: Markov (LH), Subbie (RH)
    Second: Beaulieu (LH), Franson (RH)

• Chris says:

Franson would cost significantly more than Gorges, in my opinion. I like Franson a lot because he can grow into a two-way defenceman (the offence is there, he just needs to improve his defensive game), and his right-handed shot gives him extra value.

It may very well be that Franson was the target, but I suspect another player, prospect or draft pick would be needed to get that done. And I don’t want another player’s name caught up in this.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I wouldn’t be too optimistic about a 27year old defenceman suddenly learn how to play defence.

• Chris says:

Yzerman was a 30 year old forward when he finally learned to play without the puck.

Franson isn’t terrible defensively, but he does need work. He has had one dismal defensive season, last year with the Leafs, but the rest of his career was respectable.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Not impossible I suppose, but it’s still a gamble, and if learning to play good defensive hockey were easy a guy like MAB would be making $5 million per season. Admittedly, MAB had a lot father to go, but IMO playing good defensive hockey is about reading the play, and I think you’ve got to begin developing that skill when you’re really young.

19. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t think this Denver sports journalist is very knowledgable, but here is his take on PAP (before the trade):

Some interesting facts:

PAP was leading scorer for the Avs two years ago, but last year he had two contend with to MCL sprains.

They were hoping to get a decent defenceman for him. Earlier they almost had Rene Bourque. Instead they got a washed up forward AND had to give up a 5th.

Sounds like he is not defensively responsible or willing to be physical. Therrien’s gonna love him.
    —–
    Moving. Forward.

20. krob1000 says:

The C…who to give it to? Markov is the logical choice but he has refused it in the past.Gionta? if he is back will get it but isn’t likely back, Pleks? probaly the next most deserving guy but howmuch longer will he be around? Something eventually has to give up the middle, PK Subban? makes sense if the others are glossed over for reasons above….he did step it up when the chips were down but is he ready for it? Upon further review I say give it to PLeks if Markov declines and then maybe anopther year or two and PK is ready for it.

21. habstrinifan says:

Before I read the posts my take:

I am very sad and anguished that this comes at a time when Gorges’s wife is due… any day now if I am not mistaken.

The stress of a) a possible move and b) an emotionally shocked husband CANNOT be a good thing for a woman so close to childbirth to have to deal with. I pray for their well being through this all.

Now for the harsh reality.

a)If MB asked Gorges’s agent to speak to Gorges confidentially, I absolve MB of any blame in this. Even if a deal had been consummated (unknowingly to Gorges) between MB and Toronto.. MB did the right thing. He asked the agent (the ONLY avenue he should have used) to then speak with Gorges about the deal and the NTC.
    MB would have been wrong to approach Gorges… without going thru his agent first.

b)If Gorges was shocked and was emotionally hurt and desperate for consolation and explanation… then the first person that had that responsibility was the agent. He COULD have calmed Gorges down and then either had Gorges approach MB or he(the agent) approach MB for Gorges and MB to enter into any discussion/explanation or status quo recovery. If the agent ‘overly’ allowed Gorges’ victim’s response to the level at which Gorges is right now… then the fact that MB stays away from approaching Gorges NOW is the agent’s fault.

c) If Gorges anguish and ‘reaching out’ to anyone, other than MB thru his agent, resulted in the news being made public… then again it’s the agent’s and Gorges’ fault. If Gorges’ or the agent let the news out in anger or hurt… then again the fault is theirs.

d) If MB or any other mngmnt person from the HABS let the news out…even in confidence… then the fault is HABS.

E)If the Leafs let the news out then the LAFFS are worthless idiots…..

From the outside looking in I think the news was inadvertently let out by someone expressing the shock, hurt, and despair of Gorges….and now has made things worse.

I hate the Leafs but I cant see them letting it out. Nor the HABS.

It is a sad situation now. And NO… there is no onus for MB to call Gorges NOW.

Again I feel for the pending birth and wish this anguish presents no harm to the well being of the MOM/DAD or BABY.

22. Roy_s_WINK says:

Man…really disappointed.

i >LOVE< Gorges as a player and as a potential captain.

If we end up keeping him now how much would this affect his performance?

I wish this deal would have never even been discussed.

• krob1000 says:

If he remains with the club I have zero doubt that he will be anything less than he has been for years. IT is not in his makeup to half ass it…he will be right back in front of the next Weber slapshot. That being said I am in the camp that feels he must be moved…or Emelin but I think given MB’s statement at the draft about Emelin, Markov,etc providing a comofortable atmoshpehere for Chucky and Scherpak I think Gorges is the logical choice.

23. mrhabby says:

shanny has to call JG and convince him to let the deal happen..i can just hear JG screaming..f..leafs.

24. mdp2011 says:

Interesting last sentence. Remember, it was PG who signed Gorges to his contract, not MB.

@LouisJean_TVA: Told @CanadiensMTL desire to trade Josh Gorges is purely a business move. Want to clear room under the salary cap. Don’t see him as top 4 D.

• bwoar says:

MB and I are on the same page….

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Again a puzzler … don’t see him as a top 4? Fair enough, but to tell the rest of the league?

“hey you pinheads, I think my guy is lousy but you guys are probably too stupid to realize that, or you realize it and are dripping money to over pay a third pairing defenceman for 4 years …. suckahs!”

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

25. Trollhunter says:

So who`s the next captain?
    Very delicate situation because this team doesn`t have anyone that stands out at the moment. Tinordi, Gallagher (down the line possibly).
    Really hope this doesn`t affect the leaderhip dept with this team moving forward…

S G

26. mrhabby says:

i miss MAB.

27. Loonie says:

Sorry but when Josh Gorges is gone it won’t have been a cap move.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think we agree. IMO we’re past the point of filling out the roster and we’ve moved on to upgrading on good players who aren’t quite good enough for the team to win the cup. Josh Gorges is a good hockey player. IMO he could be the #1 penalty killer and play top pair minutes 5-on-5 for almost any of the NHL teams that missed the playoffs. He’s probably a # 4/5 guy on a championship team and he probably makes too much money for that job.

• Hobie says:

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 7m

***

I’m not saying I agree or disagree. Just happened to see that a moment ago ;-).

28. John Bartlett tweeted earlier that whatever we get in return for Josh it better be big because that’s how important Josh is on the ice, and in the room.

Dave Stubbs just mentioned on TSN 690 that he saw him as the next Captain.

These are two key guys who are around these guys inside and out. You can take their opinion as Genesis 1, vs 32. Why do people want him gone?

Every puck Josh blocks is one less scoring chance. He’s the most dedicated shot blocker I have every seen (next to Lyle!), and everyone in that dressing room likes him. Lastly, sending him to a division rival…..that’s crazy!

Manitoba sucks right now, had I not hit a deer Saturday night coming from Winnipeg, I’d be outta here…..rain rain rain go away, come back another day.

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators End Season Video

• mrhabby says:

Emelin and Gorges play same game..8M bucks tied up. Make room for Subbans mother load deal and lost of other reasons.

• Cal says:

So, um, sholi, er….any venison available?
      I think Weaver demonstrated what Gorges can do at a much lower hit. Having PK and company to sign means the team must change every year due to the cap.

• bwoar says:

These guys specialize in hyperbole. I don’t care if you line up every hockey reported from here to Omsk telling us how important Gorges is in the room and on the ice, the team will not fall over and die without him, nor without Brian Gionta.

A better way to say it might be that both those players are important to the status quo. That will seem good or bad, depending on your aversion to risk and to change.

I’m put off by the idea that there’s no one to replace a ‘glue guy’, and that somehow no one will be blocking shots. It’s worthwhile to remember that if we gave up a few less shot attempts, Gorges and Markov wouldn’t be up there so high for blocked shots. Are things so low with the team that we’re nervous about losing a #5 defensive specialist? It’s practically raining depth defensemen right now. (Except in Manitoba, as you point out. It’s bloody wet here!)

• Sean Bonjovi says:

In the end it didn’t quite go as planned, but the Day that Brian Murray lost Anton Volchenkov to free agency and signed Sergei Gonchar he talked about how it would be nice for the other team to have to block shots for a change.

29. HairyHabist says:

There are things about this story that don’t make sense.

If there’s a deal in place that just requires Gorges approval like TOR media says, why is only the Leaf player’s name being kept a secret?

And if MB needs to shave cap like MTL media says, why did he trade Briere dollar for dollar cap hit this year plus take on an extra year?

Plus, why would MB shop a veteran Dman like Gorges when he’s looking at having 3 Bulldogs on his blue line next season?

Until Bergevin acknowledges he’s dealt or is trying to deal Gorges, I can’t help but wonder if the media has got this story wrong.

• johnnylarue says:

So I take you *didn’t* read the several paragraphs of text preceding the comments section on this page?

It’s real, Zap’.

• HairyHabist says:

It doesn’t quote Gorges’ agent as saying he received a formal request from Bergevin. It could be the agent called to discuss the rumours in the media.

I didn’t say the story couldn’t be true. I said I needed to hear MB’s side of it before I would believe what’s being said in the media.

• Trollhunter says:

In response to the Blue line the habs have too many dmen on the left side and need to make space for Beaulieu and/or Tinordi. It was either Emelin or Gorges because Emelin is not good playing on the right side. With gorges gone Emelin can play his natural side and it leaves a spot open on the left side for one of the kids in that 5th-6th spot.

S G

• HairyHabist says:

Makes sense if Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn all pan out. But if they don’t, you’ve traded one of your 2 most reliable defensive Dmen. Or are relying on someone from the Leafs you have no way of knowing for sure how well he’ll work out here.

30. Psycho29 says:

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie·22 mins

NSH trying to deal Michael Del Zotto before 4 ET. If no deal, do they qualify at $2.9M or let him go UFA. Suspect it’s latter but not firm.

• Forum Dog says:

Not sure exactly what happened with Del Zotto, but here is a guy that – prior to last year – averaged 35 points and 165 hits a year as a 20-23 year old. Granted he was a ‘minus’ player, but I don’t think he’s washed up yet. Maybe character issues?

31. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

When Markov was signed, many of us were complaining that there was a log jam at LD now and, logically, someone had to go. Given Emelin’s physicality, Gorges was the obvious choice. Are people really surprised by this??? People are going to freak out when they trade Pleks too??? C’mon…

• Timo says:

Good point about the logjam… does this mean Emelin will be moved to his natural side now?

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Few people are freaking out about the trade, Chris said it well vis a vis the lack of offence from the LD.

People are getting their backs up about the revisionist history – that JG was an overpaid third line shot blocker … neatly forgetting how he ate minutes for a top ten team, had comparable stats to those in the defensive UFA pool etc.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• bwoar says:

The reason he ate minutes is that we had nobody better. I don’t get how his TOI has become impressive.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

That’s the point …. there was no one else trusted to do the job … if they now believe they have someone else, that’s fine, but to pretend that a 100 point team didn’t play him (and theoretically would have next year) as a top 4 d-man is plain revisionism.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

32. Sean Bonjovi says:

Soccer related observation:

I live in a place called Georgetown Ontario, and it’s a little unsettling how many people here are supporting the German team, lol

33. PeterD says:

I love the Briere for PAP trade…just got bigger onthe right wing…but the is the question of if PAP is squeezed out alo g the boards…would that be a PAP smear?
    Sorry…that was bad…but it had to be asked.

34. jols says:

Man the Germans have a couple of Douglas Murray’s on D. Slow as molasses.

35. krob1000 says:

I am still confused as to who the roster player would be…there are not many LEafs signed…Kessel? nope, JVR…only in our dreams, Clarkson? only in our nightmares, Lupul? makes a little sense actually…Clarkson and LEafs retain partial salary cap hit?
    If Leafs ate 1.5 millon and HAbs paid Clarskon 3.75 per would you take him?

36. mrhabby says:

Emelin and Gorges making more than 8m combined playing the same type of game..something has to give. iam all for making room for some new blood.

37. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

I like Josh as much as the next guy, but it appears that he may very well become a victim of the salary cap. You have to wonder how much a $69 million cap vs. a $71+ million cap factors in any possible move.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

38. Captain aHab says:

And I can’t believe people are gonna pin this on Subban…..

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

39. Sportfan says:

Lol I forgot to add buh-bye Briere, I hated that signing from day one happy that’s over. I feel like we stole from Colorado.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

40. Captain aHab says:

Sorry but how exactly is Gorges getting shafted? Because he didn’t know he could still be traded?

You get a fat contract that is too rich for what you bring to the table, you should expect at some point to get traded for cap relief. His contract was silly. He needs to send part of it to Gauthier.

I would have been fine with keeping Gorges with a more reasonable contract.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

41. Shackles says:

The PA/Briere trade is a win-win move for both teams and both players.
    With regards to Gorges potential move, he was a solid performer for many years but it’s a business and room has to be made.
    On a side note; has any one given any thought to where Gallagher will live? Will somebody pleeease think of the children??

Ukraine Hab must be in tears today :)

43. Sportfan says:

Its all speculation that moving Gorges is for PKs contract there is more than enough money left on the cap to give PK and others their new deals, I think MB has a few UFAs in mind and wants the free cap space for that.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

I am a little concerned that there is nothing regarding Eller (at least not that we’ve heard). I’d hate if some other team took a chance on him and signed him to an offer sheet. Has there been any mention about Eller’s situation anywhere?

• Strummer says:

They would match any offer sheet.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• johnnylarue says:

If anything it would only simplify the negotiation process.

(Kinda wish some other idiot GM would just offer PK $7.5 x 7 years to get that nonsense over with as well…)

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Just MB mentioning it on Day 1 of the draft, that it needed to be done (without being asked …. )

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• The_Truth says:

Nobody will make an offer sheet to Eller. He is a 3rd line player with a career high of 16 goals.

He has some size and speed, but hardly a unique player in the NHL

45. Harditya says:

With Frankie Boo not returning either, Tinordi and Beaulieu (and Pateryn) better be drooling at this opportunity and take every advantage of this come this training camp. Someone posted that Gallant felt that Beaulieu is ready for prime time!

46. Hobie says:

Richard Labbé ‏@Richardlabbe 2m

#Habs still haven’t made an offer to F.Bouillon. Looks like he’ll be a UFA tomorrow.

** Turning out to be a good day if you’re a Habs fan. Getting rid of a lot of players who are pulling the team down.

47. Strabo says:

Have the Habs made the qualifying offers they need to do today?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

48. L Elle says:

I much prefer Briere’s approach.

J-F Chaumont ‏@JFChaumontJDM · 1h ·

Daniel Brière sur son départ au Colorado: “Quand tu ne fais plus partie des plans d’une équipe, tu es toujours mieux de partir”.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva · 1h

Daniel Brière was ask to waive his no move this morning to go to Colorado. #tvasports

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

P.K. may get the money He wants, but it will be at the expense of some of His Friends and Team-mates.

Man, I hate this part of the business. It lessens the reasons why I should care about investing My feelings and emotions into Our Team.

I don’t mind shedding Guys not pulling Their weight, but seeing someOne like Gorges shafted leaves a bitter taste in My mouth and grows a cynicism.

And the portion of Fans that talk s..t about a great soldier like Gorges leaves Me livid.

• twilighthours says:

He’s your boy. I feel ya.

But

1) it’s easier to trade a guy that actually does pull his own weight

2) I don’t really have a (2) right now.

• johnnylarue says:

If I’m PK, the only way to make this right is to accept a smaller contract in order to allow Gorges to remain with the team buy Gorges his next house ‘CAUSE I’M FILTHY RICH, BABY! WOOHOO!!

• Timo says:

On the wrong side of 50 you still didn’t acquire a healthy dose of cynicism?

For me, that emotional investment in the team is only tied to my mysterious desire to see them win the cup. I shed all other kind of emotional attachment, especially when it comes to individual players. Except for Bouillon. And MAB.

• habcertain says:

Don’t think he is shafted, 3 kids ready to step, need cap space, Gorges not overly effective, it is the business of hockey.

• mrhabby says:

dont blame the habs management team for doing there jobs. the NHL brass and owners wanted a hard cap so this is what happens.

• slyCH says:

I had a cat for 18 years once. Was MIA for a few weeks until I saw him one day laying on a neighbors porch. When I told the neighbor this was my cat they said he’s just been hanging out. I guess he liked their food better. I moved on, like he did…

• New says:

I don’t think he is shafted either. I think someone leaked the details. It might have been an accident, lots of foul ups are.

No one gets to save face here. Everyone gets pestered about the whole thing.

Danny Briere did it right. Business is business. Better to be someplace where you get 17 minutes a game than someplace where you never know if you’ll get over 7.

50. JUST ME says:

I just do not see why make such a big fuss about that story. I think it`s a personnal affair that really moved Dave Stubbs and he is trying to understand it. He just said on radio that he was seeing Gorges as the next habs Captain ! I sure did not and did not either think that he would last much longer with all the kids coming up in the next seasons.

Mostly i do not understand why we would blame the organization about this when meanwhile the players do not bother about our feelings when it`s time to get a new deal . I understand that a guy may be in shock after learning about the team`s intentions but this is business and he needs to get over it and move on if need be.

51. Tomi says:

Is Michael Therrien still the coach of the Habs?
    I hate this effin 100-point Final-Four team!!!

52. Habbu says:

He’s got some very close friends on this team…….what effect do these events have on them and how they view the organization?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Maybe they’ll figure out that you need to earn to privilege of playing for the glorious CH over and over again every single year. I’m sure guys like Gallagher and especially Price will miss having Gorges around, but I think those guys will still want to win when he’s gone.

On a day we acquire a player in a trade, amazing how little talk about that player there is here. Lots of scuttle but on a hot hazy humid summer day.

Have a good day everyone, gotta a football game to watch now.

CHeers!

• Walmyr says:

Algeria!!!…oops…lol

• Timo says:

Indeed, I scanned through the Parenteau trade thread and very few opinion on that trade. Hmm… Isn’t he moar bigger? (and younger)

• PK says:

Parenteau hopefully will get more goals than Gionta on that third line. Presuming Gionta is gone tomorrow.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• habcertain says:

Timo, I think he is pretty similar to Briere, and we added another $4m in term. I don’t think he is anymore the type of player that MT will play vs Briere. If Briere had gotten a little more ice time his numbers would be very respectable. Another doghouse project for MT, Parenteau must be just salivating to get under the MT regime!

If these moves are indeed an indication of Bergevin trying to shed some old overpaid vets in favor of younger moar bigger players, I hope he discussed his plans with Michael Therrien, who, as we all know, is not a big fun of youngsters.

55. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Curious to see who are the two Canadian teams Gorges is willing to be traded to. Van has to be one…the second???

• Timo says:

Of the remaining destinations I can only think of Calgary. Going to Peg, Edmonton or Ottawa would just suck. So would to Calgary, but at least it’s close to home for him.

• slyCH says:

That crossed my mind also, the only other option would be the Capital, but that’s just me. Maybe he’s holding out for Quebec to come back. LOL.

56. Habbu says:

The business side of sports is full of sad stories………add this one to the list

57. Price07 says:

Nothing much I would be interested in on the leafs roster…don’t really understand this. To trade someone to the leafs would take a real good return and I see no such return available on the leafs roster.

58. hamiltonbulldogs says:

Thank god MB came to his senses … 3.9 million over 4 more years for a shot blocking cheerleader was nuts … Ohhhh please go to the leafs … This will be like Komercerick all over again … Lol

59. Chris says:

This thread, which is almost certainly going to fill with countless tales of how Gorges was overpaid and useless, would be a good one to bookmark for the next time a poster asks why any NHL player could possibly be averse to the idea of playing in Montreal, given the franchise’s history and the culture and so on.

I feel the same way about Josh Gorges as I felt back on June 30th, 2009: I think the inevitable trade makes sense from a hockey point of view, but I respect what Gorges has done since arriving in Montreal back in 2007.

Gorges might not have had the skill-set of a top NHL defenceman, but he had the heart in spades. I doubt that there is a single Montreal Canadiens player who questions Gorges’ dedication to the the team and his teammates, often at great cost to his own body.

Since it does look like the end of his stay in Montreal, I hope that he ends up in a good environment where he can continue to serve as a mentor and role model for younger players, showing them that you need to work your tail off in every game to make it in the NHL. You may have to re-invent yourself, and you may have to take a lot of punishment to carve a nice for yourself in the league.

I keep hoping that people will remember all the good things that Gorges has done over the past 7 years, but I suspect the mob is in full force today.

• mrhabby says:

agreed…a warrior but MB and his team just doing there jobs trying to improve the team and not sitting on last years success.

• mdp2011 says:

Great post, I always liked Gorges and he always wore the jersey with pride.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Thanks Chris, …finally some sanity here.

• Forum Dog says:

I’m with this. Gorges has carved out a nice and lucrative career with his intangibles, and props go to him for doing so. He gave MTL everything he had and helped them to two Conference Finals in 4 years. If you can’t respect him for that than you really don’t have much respect for the game and what it takes to win.

This is strictly a business move, and one MTL probably wouldn’t make if they didn’t have defensive prospects ready for full-time duty.

• twilighthours says:

It’s OK to be OK about this trade while feeling bad for Josh.

• Chris says:

I am definitely OK with the trade. Three defencemen (Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi) on the blue line that can’t add much offensively is one too many, unless you are planning on using a forward on the PP.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Because many of us agree with the GM, we are part of a “mob”. Yeah right…

• Chris says:

You really need to improve your English comprehension skills.

Okay – agreeing with Bergevin that it is time to go.

Not okay – ridiculing Gorges as a player, shredding his character simply because you didn’t like his style of play

There’s the Coles Notes version.

• Kooch7800 says:

I really like JG and I agree with you Chris. This is purely business and in a salary capped league he becomes a target to move purely on dollars.

He doesn’t bring enough to the table for 4 mill a season. This deal had to be done. PK is going to make double his last cap hit

I wish him well. I am a little happy he is not going to Toronto

• Chris says:

I don’t think he was overpaid, to be honest. Komisarek ($4.5 m), Volchenkov ($4.25 m), Hjalmarsson ($4.1 m), Michalak ($4.0 m), Emelin ($4.1 m), Nikitin ($4.5 m), Ericsson ($4.25 m)…Gorges’ cap hit was pretty much in line with what other UFA defensive defencemen were earning.

Where I do agree with people is that having both Emelin and Gorges on the team on comparable cap hits was unsustainable. $8.0 m combined cap hit for guys that can’t do anything offensively ties up too much of your cap, especially for a team that needs offensive help.

• CJ says:

I will try and post something similar when (if) Bouillion leaves. It’s not a question of not liking the guy, but if – that’s a big if, you can move Gorges and address an deficiency somewhere on the roster, the possibility needs to be explored. If the deal involved Toronto, I have to figure salary was coming back our way as there’s no chance the Leafs – within their salary cap, could take on salary.

• Chris says:

I have nothing but fond memories of Bouillon. That doesn’t stop me from hoping that they team doesn’t re-sign him this coming season. I just won’t mock a guy that gave his all for the team, something all fans always claim they want to see.

One can say a lot of things about Bouillon, but one of those things will never be that he didn’t give a damn about his team.

• New says:

Well said Chris. There were a lot of games where Gorges seemed to be the best D on the team, other nights he seemed to tip everything into the wrong net. But this guy tried his best when a whole lot of other players never bothered. Shame it has to go down like this…should have been the welcome Josh back night, standing O, all that stuff.

• bwoar says:

Get over it. This happens in a lot of places. Might as well get used to it if you’re going to be a hockey fan for any length of time.

Also: If he could punch people out he’d still be on the team.

60. Cal says:

A $2.5 mil/year player earning too much more in the Cap era? It could only last so long.

61. twilighthours says:

Well this story developed quickly

It’s all Subban’s fault.

63. Strummer says:

People forget that cap management is as big as any other part of a GM’s job.

Gorges at $3.9 million for 4 more years doesn’t work. Bergevin finds another team that needs defense, can handle Gorges cap hit and may need to shed a player for cap purposes that fits Bergevin’s requirements for offense and salary.

It has nothing to do with leadership or if Gorges is a “good in the room” or is a mentor to Gally and other rookies.

As they said in “The Godfather’ as they were about to whack a guy “It’s just business”

This is the cap world.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

PK is getting a monster raise. The money has to come from somewhere.

• johnnylarue says:

Edit: deleted hilarious joke due to inability to use the “Strike-through” font.

Test: strike this

don’t strike this

• Forum Dog says:

I don’t doubt that losing Gorges salary will help pay for the PK signing, but they have $17.5M in cap-space now and don’t have any glaring holes if they sign all their RFAs, which I think they could do for under $12M.

I’d say moving the last 4 years of Gorges contract is more about having flexibility 2-3 years from now, and not so much about paying for PK’s imminent deal.

64. PK says:

This kind of acrimony, controversy typically stays behind closed doors … until the player is no longer in the organization; then all the dirty laundry comes out (post-trade comments by Spacek, for example)
    I am intrigued that the media has gotten a hold of Josh and his quotes.

MB is all business and has the big picture in mind
    (not to mention the 69M cap).

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

65. slyCH says:

Good God it’s hard to keep pace. Exciting times indeed.
    The Management is starting to implement it’s philosophies. Cutting payroll might be a necessity for the PK contract to come. Bring up the Pateryns and young guns. Bigger better cheaper. Who knows.
    The regime slowly cutting ties with the old by moving bad contracts, let’s face it, we all know Gorges was paid far too much for what he brought to the table. It’s also refreshing how quickly they rectify their own mistakes by dealing Briere as they did.

Yes. Exciting times indeed.

66. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Stubbs on TSN 690

67. adamkennelly says:

business – all business – need to save money on 3rd pairing D-man and open up a roster spot.

If Gretzky can get traded – ANYONE can be traded and most certainly a 3rd pairing D-man who gets paid too much loot for what he brings to the table.

come on people – lets stop being so dramatic.

68. Hobie says:

Come on Brendan, try harder!!!!

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 18m

Brendan Shanahan continues to try and encourage Josh Gorges to accept trade to the Maple Leafs. So far, no luck, but still a chance.

69. Grimmly says:

Salary cap era with a hefty price tag for a shot blocking defenceman that does nothing else really. Its hard to see him go , he does bleed red white and blue, but its business, sorry Josh

70. PuffNStuff says:

Goodbye Gorges, only a Goat would give a JG that kind of term and money and a NTC to boot. Good Riddance, too bad the JG fan-boys have their shorts in a knot, get out and get some sun it’s summer.

71. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

I wonder if Vancouver would be a decent fit for him, being from Kelowna and all.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

• Un Canadien errant says:

With Jason Garrison gone, it’s more likely, but still a remote chance. They’d like a rightie now, and one who can produce offence, so Josh is a poor fit.

72. johnnylarue says:

Too many threads.

Annoyed.

73. Say Ash says:

Give me his problems.

74. Habitant in Surrey says:

You Gorges haters have no idea what His passion to The Team means.

An IDIOT move, let alone insulting to the core, to want to trade Him to the miserable Weeds, the ultimate insult.

I am happy about Briere, but I am totally disappointed in Bergevin for what He did to Gorges.

You think it’s no big deal ? …just wait what this will do to the Team’s overall loyalty and passion for The Team.

If They weren’t carpetbaggers before, They are certainly carpetbaggers now. :(

• Captain aHab says:

MB loves character and yet is looking to trade Gorges.

Take it for what it is: a cost-cutting move.

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

• habsonly says:

Agreed, Gorges is the kind of player every team wants: gives his all heart and soul.
      I feel for him, ya he makes more money than I do ( alot more ) but this is not the way to treat a guy like him, to the laffs man that hurts.
      Whoever leaked this out is classless, and no mention of who was coming back either.
      Disappointed…….

• habs-fan-84 says:

They’re all professionals, but they’re also human. Hope this doesn’t leave a sour taste in the dressing room (particularly Price and Gally). I feel Bergevin has significantly increased the marketability and credibility of Montreal (in the minds of players) since coming here. This situation tarnishes that a little.

• Un Canadien errant says:

There are a few trolls here, but most fans who want to trade Josh just dispute the cost-benefit equation. Most like Josh, wish he came cheaper.

I’ve posted before how the salary cap has transformed every hockey fan into accountants:

One unfortunate consequence of the salary cap system in the National Hockey League is that it transforms committed fans into vigilant custodians of the team’s payroll. Whereas before fans would harry their team’s ownership to pay whatever it costs to retain the hometown stars, nowadays fans are forced to take a stand on the wage a player will receive, as overspending on players decreases the likelihood that one’s team will be successful and championship material. In the days of the Guy Lafleur or Larry Robinson holdouts, every fan howled that the team made enough money to pay these guys what they wanted, and that they sure as hell deserved it. Especially if Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson are worth millions to the Rangers…

from: http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2013/01/pk-subban-playing-with-fans-patience.html

———————————————————————–
      My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• twilighthours says:

Overreaction.

Gorges is a great guy, nice player. But not so good that he can’t be moved.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“IDIOT move”? Pull out a calculator and do the math. There is no more room for his salary and for a LH Dman on this team anymore. That simple.

75. Un Canadien errant says:

A little bizarre how the Josh Gorges contract and status story is exploding now. I made a pithy observation this season, wondering what compensation he gets for housing Brendan Gallagher his first couple of seasons in Montréal. I figure he can’t get any compensation, that would be seen as a breach of the CBA, but wondered whether it made his No Trade Clause “even more iron-clad”, whether he’d again gone above and beyond and cemented his status as a core player.

The fact that he’s commenting now on the situation shows that Bob McKenzie’s tweet didn’t just reflect that the Leafs enquired, were rebuffed, and someone at MLSE had loose lips. There’s more of a concerted effort from the Canadiens to move him, it’s not just other teams sniffing around.

We remember how Josh’s contract happened, how he and Pierre Gauthier couldn’t come to terms on a long-term deal in 2011, so they hatched a one-year deal to put things off, and maybe see what the lay of the land was. He signed a $2.5M deal, and we all thought that was a bargain, and there was much handwringing that we were about to lose him as a UFA come July. We were in the throes of the Roman Hamrlik-Jaroslav Spacek era, Andrei Markov was injured, we couldn’t envision losing Josh at that time.

Then the new contract was announced mid-way through the season, and we gasped at the amount, a not inconsiderable $3.9M, and the term, which at six years seemed like an eternity. Realists thought it was market value, and we’d made our bed by not agreeing to a deal earlier, we couldn’t do much better with a gun to our temple. The optimists tried to see the good side, how what looked like a huge amount would eventually seem quite reasonable as the cap went up.

I like Josh, maybe more as a person than what he contributes, and like having him on my team, but at the time I couldn’t shake the feeling that we had been struck by ‘Leafs disease’, the symptoms of which are an average player being forced into a role more demanding than he should fill, and getting lots of press and hype as a result, then getting a contract out of proportion with the talent and potential of that player (for a recent example, see Bozak, Tyler).

A couple of years went by, and it appeared that the ‘pill’, as difficult to swallow as it might have seemed at first, was going to go down. Maybe we were more focused on the Tomas Kaberles and Scott Gomezes in the meantime, the guys who were getting paid obscene amounts of money in return for no value. Josh faded into the background.

Now, with money needed for P.K. and Andrei and some enticing free agents on the market who’d do nicely here, Josh is caught in the spotlight again. Daniel Brière would seem to be a more likely candidate for this kind of attention, but it’s a surplus of leftie d-men we have, not a surplus of scoring forwards. Plus, Daniel’s contract is up next summer, Josh’s deal has an interminable four more years to go.

We talked about players whose contracts “suck”, like Roberto Luongo found out, and Vincent Lecavalier, and many others. Josh’s agent rolled the dice and seemed to have come up sevens when he signed his big deal, but it’s now hurting his client. If he’d signed closer to a $3M deal, Josh would be a foundation player, a cost-effective piece who would draw only positive attention.

We often talk about how the NHL is a business, and Josh is caught up in that now. A consideration is that the contract wasn’t signed by Marc Bergevin’s team, so he doesn’t feel any compunction in shopping the player, it’s not an admission of a mistake on his part. All we can hope is that he lands somewhere out West, closer to his beloved Kelowna, where he can play an integral role and have success.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• boing007 says:

That was a thoughtful analysis.

Richard R

• twilighthours says:

It’s funny how 2.5 per is a steal where 3.9 per is an overpayment.

They’re really not that different.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes and no. That $1.4 is maybe the missing amount to sign P.K. It’s the amount needed to sign Mike Weaver. So those extra hundred G’s are precious in the NHL, if not to high-rollers like you and me.

• krob1000 says:

It is that different…1.5 million overpayment is huge on one player…you do that on 3 guys on you roster and you could have Pacioretty. The cap is what it is and the reality is that bang for your buck is what wins nowadays.
        The bottom line is it likely came down to Emelin or Gorges….Emelin has a NTC this season. Markov is not going and BEaulieu needs to play now…that still leaves Tinordi outside looking in.

Just like it is importnat that Subban signs reasonably…if the team wants to win there cannot be overpaid players….you have to trim where you can to have the balance. I was surprised honestly that MB did not keep Kaberle for one more year and buyout Gorges at that time seeing this possibility down the road.