Gorges signs six-year contract

GorgesDec6
Now that’s good news for a team that could use some.
Departing with their policy of not negotiating during the course of the hockey season, the Canadiens have signed their steadiest defenceman to a new six-year contract with a reported annual salary cap hit of $3.9 million.

Gorges, coming off knee surgery, signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract after contentious negotiations last summer. Had he not signed by July 1, Gorges would have become an unrestricted free agent.

Consensus opinion, supported by Gorges’ agent, is the Canadiens could have signed him for less money had they offered a long-term contract last summer.

The team wanted to see how Gorges would rebound from his injury – a prudence that seems to have been lacking in negotiations with Andrei Markov.

Is $3.9 million a tad high for a defenceman who doesn’t produce much offence?

For a comparable, consider the Leafs are paying Mike Komisarek $4.5 million per through 2013-’14.

The Canadiens have 13 players signed for 2012-’13 at a total cap hit of $47.4 million. This leaves them approximately $17.5 million under the cap with a list of unsigned players topped by Carey Price, who can become a restricted free agent. The RFA list also includes P.K. Subban, Lars Eller, Raphael Diaz, Ryan White and Alexei Emelin.

Pending UFA’s include Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche, Hal Gill and Chris Campoli.

Undrafted after a junior career with his hometown Kelowna Rockets, Gorges has been the poster boy for overachievement and a respected leader in the Canadiens’ room.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of defenseman Josh Gorges to a six-year contract extension (2012-13 to 2017-18). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Gorges, 27, one of the team’s assistant captains since the start of the 2011-12 season, played in the Canadiens’ 39 games this season, collecting 10 points (1 goal – a game-winning tally at Phoenix on November 10 – and 9 assists) and 24 penalty minutes. The defenseman ranks first on the team with a +6 plus/minus differential and leads all NHL players with 101 blocked shots. Gorges has recorded 60 hits while averaging 22:35 seconds of ice time per game.

In 307 career games with the Canadiens, Gorges has posted 59 points (9 goals, 50 assists). Three of his goals were tallied on the powerplay. He displays a +16 plus/minus differential and served 150 penalty minutes. Gorges was the 2009-10 recipient of the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, awarded annually to the member of the Canadiens who played a predominant role during the regular season, without earning any particular honor

Since his NHL debut back in 2005-06, Gorges has registered 69 points (10 goals, 59 assists) in 403 NHL regular-season games. The 6’1’’, 201 lbs left-shooting defenseman has recorded 207 penalty minutes and maintained a +18 plus/minus differential. Gorges recorded three of his goals on the powerplay. He has accumulated seven assists in 46 career NHL playoff contests.

A native of Kelowna, British Columbia, Gorges first signed with the San Jose Sharks as a free agent on September 20, 2002 after four seasons with the WHL’s Kelowna Rockets and a silver medal at the 2004 World Junior Championship. He was acquired from San Jose on February 25, 2007 along with a first-round draft pick in 2007 (Max Pacioretty), in return for Craig Rivet and a fifth-round draft pick in 2008.

Here’s the Gorges segment from Inside Hockey:

1. Everlasting1 says:

S.Kost with a hat-trick tonight..oy.

——————————————————————-
    “As I looked, and behold, a whirlwind coming out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness about it. Out of the midst thereof, was the colour of amber. And in the fire was what looked like four living creatures.” Ezekiel 1:4-6

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Sean Bonjovi says:

What’s that give him 3 now?

“If ownership cared about Habs fans, or Habs wins the Habs would play home games in the last two weeks of December”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Sorry, I shouldn’t trash Sergei like that. I just looked it up and he’s actually got way more points that Benoit Pouliot, so I guess he’s doing alright.

– Sean Bonjovi

• Habsolutely says:

could you be a more pathetic troll? I mean really? nothing better to do but come here and troll hab fans?

2. Toe Blake says:

No team in the NHL would have given Gorges that coin for that term. This team is going to tank faster than the Lusitania as long as “special” people are at the helm!

3. ghutmehn says:

Love this guy, but Christian Ehroff signed with Buffalo for the same money, and he’s big, strong and scores 50 points per year.

4. SmartDog says:

PG is just looking for some “good news” to buy a little more time. In the end his time will run out (soon) and the team will be handcuffed going forward. 4 mil a year is too much and he could’ve been had for under 3 last summer.

Gauthier is leaving a worse mess behind than he inherited. Pierre Gauthier, you are an ass.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

3.9 million for 6 years!!!!!

I love Gorges for all his heart but this is too much money for way too long. Gorges is a bottom pairing defence man. He isn’t a puck mover and he isn’t a towering hulk. 3 million for 3-4 years would have been reasonable.

This organization is a joke.

6. Mavid says:

i will think about next year, when we are mathematically eliminated thanks

second place is just the first loser

7. boonie says:

Question for those of you (and there are many) who like this deal:

If PG was going to sign Gorges long term, then why not save $1.5m per year (according to his agent) in the summer?

If he had been injured, then LTIR would have saved cap space. If he sucked, then a demotion to the A. Wouldn’t this contract be better at a much lower rate?

Finally, if there was real interest in a SIX YEAR nearly FOUR MILLION annual deal by other teams, couldn’t we have picked up something like a first plus for him at the deadline and re-signed him as a UFA.

Gainey/Gauthier do not understand caps. That is the only way to explain Gomez, kaberle, and this.

8. Rad says:

Great signing. I wanted this done last year, but as usual, Gauthier is late to the party. Nonetheless, we’ve now got our heart and soul guy signed up for the next 6 years. No question in my mind that Josh is going to be our next captain, our leader during the coming rebuild phase.

9. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob

Absolutely great move” Now let the Habs win those 8 of 11 at home. Teams ahead of Canadiens are no world-beaters – example Leafs already starting to self-destruct.

10. theox_8 says:

Am I the only one that thinks it might be a good idea to keep moen around for a year or two longer? If he stayed at the same price tag I dont see why not , I mean its not like he is going to get us a second or first round pick if we get rid of him at the deadline. Just my thoughts I like seeing him in a habs jersey

11. Jetcar70 says:

Good signing. I hope his play remains consistent. Good resource to have locked up long term. There will be a few more signings before then end of the season, I think.

12. CF says:

Great signing, seems like the term may be an indication we may see Gorges captain this team eventually.
    Too bad we didn’t sign him sooner, saved a little money, and let Markov walk.
    I guess ol PG is trying to undue some of his mistakes.
    OK, now lets sign AK, Price, and Subban.
    Oh, and Moen too.

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

This signing suggests to me that all potential 2012 UFAs will either be resigned or traded and that makes me about as happy as I could possibly be given the current situation :) :) !!

– Sean Bonjovi

14. Shane1313 says:

Great move. This is the type of guy that any winning team would need.
    Anybody else excited about this team?
    I am.
    I guess it is just me.

15. alfieturcotte says:

Well, Gorges for $1.5MM more than we would have gotten him a few months ago. At least he makes less than Kaberle. And yes, SK74 got a hat trick tonight……..

Fire Gauthier, Fire Gauthier, Fire Gauthier. Hire anyone, irrespective of language…..

16. Habsbill24 says:

We are worried about signing our players under the cap next year. Let’s not forget that our current players have produced this 13th placed team and miserable season. Getting them all back next year does not seem like it is a slam dunk for the 25th Cup. We need fresh blood and new, most likely, expensive players. Cap management will be interesting.

17. boonie says:

Six years is too long for any non-elite player. And, sorry, gorges doesn’t qualify IMO. Worse, it suggests that PG still has the authority to bind this organization to deals much longer than his tenure should be.

2012 starts poorly.

18. gumper says:

So, with 8 of 11 on home ice in January, things could get really interesting for RC and the team. If they don’t start to string together some Ws the crowd, nasty at the moment, is gonna turn vicious.

19. 123456 says:

like the georges signing a lot

nice article on gionta and callahan (both products of rochester, ny)

20. Top Corner says:

Good sign !

21. gumper says:

I like the signing. I’m not sure I like the idea that PG is still in charge. I’m beginning to feel that Mr. Molson is going to retain our current G.M. for the foreseeable future, replacing the coach in the off season. Honestly, I don’t know how I feel about that. Looking at the list of potential replacement candidates doesn’t make me jump up and down, but with BG still in the house, it feels like change is not happening when change is required. Molson is facing some big decisions. Would not want to be in his shoes at this juncture.

• 123456 says:

georges could have waiting and tried to get more money or a longer term – i’m not a huge fan of PG but it speaks volumes that georges signed long term after getting just one yr last summer

• ProHabs says:

The trick with Gauthier is that he called everyone Mr. So when he says “Mr. Gorges, we would like to resign you”, Josh probably thinks, wow this guy really respects me, I want to play for this guy.

• 123456 says:

ha – i know if it were me i’d be a bit pissed i didnt get a longer deal last summer and it would have been easy to wait until 7/1 and maybe sign with a proven top 10 team…

• boonie says:

Longer than 6 years, more than $4m…??? This was way over the top for gorges. Good for him.

22. ProHabs says:

For those of you still dreaming that the Habs will make the playoffs, here is one reason why they won’t.

Who do you cheer for to win these games this week:
    Monday : New Jersey vs. Ottawa
    Tuesday: Tampa Bay vs. Toronto
    Thursday: Winnipeg vs. Toronto , Ottawa vs. Tampa Bay
    Friday: Buffalo vs. Carolina, Florida vs. New Jersey

The schedule will look like this every week between now and the end of the year. Team the Habs are fighting for a playoff spot with will be playing against each other due to the schedule promoting inter-conference games. Too many teams between the Habs and 8th place now that will be collecting points every night. Time to start thinking of next year.

23. Habs Proud says:

I think it’s a great signing, good player with a ton of heart. Nice to see the deal put together before the last minute too. Now get Price and PK done too.

24. Ferg says:

Absolutely love this guy. Best defenceman on the team. Should have been named captain before Gionta arrived. But he probably couldn’t care less because he’s a team guy. And if we give Subban more $ than Gorges, then the message is we prefer style over substance. In a season of cluster”*+# signings and trades, this is a beauty.

25. Sean Bonjovi says:

If the Canadiens draft a centre first overall one of DD, Eller or Pleks has to go, or get moved to the wing. What would you do?

– Sean Bonjovi

• Bill J says:

move DD to the wing.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’d do the same, but only because DD would make the switch better than Eller would. If Eller could do it I’d put him there.

– Sean Bonjovi

26. JohnBellyful says:

In case you’re wondering about three other players considered valuable to the team:

I knew he was a big shot as soon as he lit his cigarette with a gold-plated, monogrammed disposable lighter. I glanced at the initials, GM, as I nonchalantly retrieved the lighter from the waste basket and slipped it into the top drawer beside my last client’s credit card.
    “Grab yourself a seat and tell me how I can help you?”
    He slid into the one-armed arm chair, took a deep breath, and exhaled a fine mist of 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild. It was obvious he’d been drinking to cover up a bad case of the nerves, and he didn’t care how bad the booze was.
    “I need your help, Mr. Shrapnel,” he finally spoke. “Three of my employees have gone missing.”
    I looked him in the eye and then the other, before letting my gaze slide down his nose to his mouth and then back to his eyes. They were still on alert.
    “Call me Lou,” I said, with my usual charm. “Who are they?”
    He withdrew two photographs from the inside of his overcoat but not as covertly as he hoped. I mentally recorded the combination of his pocket.
    He pushed one of the photos across the desk, disturbing a pile of dust and annoying the pet rat I had salvaged from a failed marriage.
    “His name’s Markov,” he said, with a trace of bitterness. “It should be MarkedDown or WriteOv, as far as I’m concerned. The guy signed a contract worth millions but has yet to play a single game. Sure, he got injured in a mugging but that was over a year ago and he’s received the best care that money can buy. Me and my insurer think it’s all been a scam. He’s been seen skiing, surfing, snorkeling – everything but skating in a $%@#$@ hockey game.”
    “Where’s he from?
    “Russia.”
    “Okay, who else?
    He handed over the second photo, much smaller, just a snapshot.
    “Gionta. He’s been AWOL for weeks.”
    “Where’s he from?”
    “New York.
    “Hmmmn. Think organized crime is behind this? The Russian mob and the Mafia joining forces, with Markov and Gionta as their point men, working together to rip off the system?
    “Gionta’s the captain, for god’s sake!!! And he’s never played the point!!!”
    “A capo, eh. Okay now we’re getting somewhere.”
    “Don’t be such an idiot! He’s the captain of a HOCKEY team! They’re hockey players. All I want them to do is to play hockey. Or find out why they’re not. I keep asking my general manager but all I get is double-talk about how long it takes for some injuries to heal. I don’t ask anymore. He gives me the creeps.“
    “Who’s the third guy missing? Lemme see his photo.”
    “I, uh, don’t have one. I’ve never met the guy. His name’s White. Supposedly he played for us last season. He could be fiction for all I know. They keep talking about him on the Internet, make him sound like some sort of saviour. Wish he was. We could use one now.”
    “So you got two guys missing you’re convinced has nothing to do with organized crime and a third guy gone you’ve never seen? What’s his background?
    “Well, they tell me he played for the Calgary …………the Calgary Hitmen! Omigawd! Does that mean …?”
    “That’s right, Mr. Molson. They could be all in cahoots, three henchmen – a Russkie, a Yank, and a Canuck – working together for mobs in their country. Simple, really. Make the team. Feign an injury. Get time off while pulling in millions and still be free to do mob work. Anything else strange going on around the team?”
    “Well, we do seem to break a lot of sticks.”

NEXT WEEK’S EPISODE: Lou Shrapnel goes undercover in “The French-Canadian Connection.”

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

27. HamiltonHabs says:

Need to sign Kostitsyn, the only UFA next year that should be signed… Why does everyone go on and on about Gomez, what’s done is done and he has only played 13 games this year. The Habs would have won a lot more games if he was playing and him and Eller are the only two guys who pick up the puck behind the net and carry it down the ice!

28. HabsPEI31 says:

’bout Fekking time. Should have signed Markov’s 3yr deal – with a lower cap hit, of course – the first time around.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

29. nellis13 says:

6 years is a long time for a guy with a bum knee especially after the Markov fiasco. I guess that’s the price PG has to pay for betting on the wrong D-man last summer.

• RGM says:

Except that Josh doesn’t have a “bum knee.” It’s fully reconstructed and fully healed. For the first time in 7 years the dude can actually skate and move laterally without having to worry about it popping on him.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

30. Solid Signing.
    – Future Captain of the team.
    – Leads the league in blocked shots.
    – He’s been delivering hits too, only 5 less than Weber, and as many hits as Doughty (60) in just 39 games.
    – Penalty Killing Ace.

Stud. Heart of the team.

31. Exit716 says:

A key fact that is being missed here. The CBA expires this summer. Hopefully Molson and the rest of the real franchises that prop up welfare teams like Florida throw their weight around and get a provision to buy out loser contracts like Gomez’s.

32. ajk025 says:

Good for Gorges. Now we need to extend paciorettys contract. He will be a force for years to come.

• solomio says:

I hope he finds his force quickly ’cause lately it’s been MIA

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• aj says:

Well who’s going to guide Pacioretty’s force for years to come? We’ll he be under Jedi Master Cole’s tutilage? Could be I guess.

“Well done my Pedawan learner!!”

33. HabFanSince72 says:

The Caps have two first round picks (theirs and Colorado’s). At present these are the 10th and 14th picks (Colorado is ahead of the Caps in the standings.)

They are trying to make the playoffs. Their coaching change dodn’t pay off (Dale Hunter LOL).

I think they would be a great trading partner and willing to give up one of those two first round picks.

Other potential trading partners include the Rangers and Pens, especially since helping them reduces Boston’s chances of repeating.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’d do AK and a 2nd for Brouwer and a 1st.

Not sure what else they’d be willing to part with that we’d need.

EDIT: actually we’d probably have to throw in a 4th or midlevel prospect to even it out.

• ABHabsfan says:

I’d include Chi and St.L in there also. Both have cap space and both could use a push-over-the-top kinda player. 2nd line scorer like Gio or AK. St L needs a good showing to sell the team

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If the blues can keep it up for another month and a half I expect them to go all out at the deadline. Chicago to me seems like a team with obvious holes, but ones that should be easy to fix, so I agree with your assessment on both counts.

– Sean Bonjovi

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I had a WONDERFUL New Year with My Kids
    …am very thankful I had not wasted Mine or Their time watching last night’s Panthers’ game …as I feel being quite content to allow the poison of 2011 drain it’s last drop on the last day
    …New Year’s Day represents ‘hope’ for better and new beginnings …I just had to be patient, I felt
    …and, WHAT ??? better a confirmation of One’s gut-instincts could there be, as far as being a ’til death Habs’ Fan, than to awake to read & discover Captain Gorgeous was signed to a 6-year contract extension ???
    …as a terminally long-suffering Montreal Canadiens Fan, I NEEDED !!! that
    …comforting, encouraging, and regenerating are a few of the emotional benefits I feel at this time
    …and, hopefully ‘the beginning’ of more good news to come :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

35. ProHabs says:

Glad to see the team finally abandon the silly policy of only negotiating in the off-season. Every other team negotiates during the season as well as the off season. Welcome to the NHL in 2012 Habs management.

36. ABHabsfan says:

Surprised to see this today but I have to say it is a positive move for the future of the team. Gorges is the leader, I believe, of this team and will be captain next year if not this year if Gio gets traded, and I think he should be. Younger guys will look to Josh and think” hey, if he’s in for the long haul, I am too” At least I hope that’s what they think. Hopefully Kaberle can put some PP points up this year and be worth something come deadline time. There are always teams looking for that kind of guy if they think they can win the Cup. The extra year on the contract will make it tough though. Chicago PP is not great and they have the cap-space.
    2 yrs for PK at $2.5-3 per. He has no leverage coming off the 1st contract and that’s pretty much what CP gets.

37. The Dude says:

Gauthier should not be allowed too do a thing until he’s replaced!

38. Bash says:

Josh Gorges is a good signing! Nuff Said.

But help me here…

Is it possible that Markov’s contract is insured and costs the team nothing if he does not play a certain percentage of games? As well, if he is on IR he does not count against the cap and placement on IR is retroactive isn’t it?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• gumper says:

Markov doesn’t count against the cap if he doesn’t play, which is all that really matters to a team with as much money to throw around as the Canadiens.

• GHT120 says:

Markov counts against the cap. The only exemption is LTIR and it does not build up “credits”. It allows a team to exceed the cap by up to the amount remaining on the LTIR players’ contract on the day the team takes on a contract that puts them over the cap.

• gumper says:

Thanks for clarifying. Isn’t Markov on LTIR? And if he remains injured, isn’t that the same as having that same amount of spending money as his salary against the cap, in essence? Sorry if I’m being a bit thick about this.

• HabFab says:

Markov still counts against the cap as does everybody else. The Habs can exceed the cap by “his replacements salary” as long as it is less then Markov’s. Confused? the CBA is written by lawyers, for lawyers and to he!! with the rest of us. Who his designated replacement is, don’t have a clue? Hope it was Spacek and now Karbale but most likely Campoli. However, the Habs are not telling me!

39. SPATS says:

I prepared the post below earlier today for another thread but forgot about it because my guests for new years brunch showed up 15 minutes early (we’re in BC) When I came back and opened the page, I saw my forgotten post still sitting here – then I read about Gorges -no doubt in my mind this was done for reasons I stress below, as well as securing his buddies Price and to a lesser extent Moen. Hope our new captain learns french to keep the dogs at bay… Here is my earlier unedited post… Feel free to trash me… that only motivates me! & Happy New Year Habs I/O

Very clearly there is a lack of leadership. It’s been years in the making too.

I once belonged to an organization that was weak at the ownership level but had outstanding leadership at the departmental level. Ownership was lucky because they hired a true leader. Several years and much success later, ownership decided to install a young green family member as president over the senior manager. The result was identical to what we are witnessing with our beloved habs. Just substitute the characters.

Entry level staff found themselves forced to make decisions because their once proud boss began phoning it in and planning his exit strategy while still employed by the organization. Once faithful staff saw the writing on the wall and began to look out for themselves… some using the system to get themselves onto workers comp. A slow cancerous rot permeated everything from the top down. The new green owner thought he knew best and made feeble attempts to do what he could, but staff saw through him and his insincere efforts. His lack of credibility coupled with his need to be respected without earning it were all staff needed to form an alliance against him.

Over the next 2 years, the entire staff were replaced with untalented yes men and the company is currently being overtaken by competitors (including former staff) who copied their success and avoided their mistakes.

The buck stops with the money behind Geoff Molson. He took poor advice from BG when he promoted PG and kept BG as an advisor. No strong leader emerged in the dressing room and JM made them play against their natural instincts. The pattern was set.

Now without Gio, Markov and Gomez, we find ourselves without a true leader or any grit at the top. Gio barely gets it done. On top of that void, we have a rookie coach, several immature players, a few prima donnas and a vegan ghost of a man managing them. Time to jump ship? I’ll wait until Gio comes back first.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

40. Say Ash says:

What were the last few mid-year signings?

41. Carnegie says:

Maybe Gauthier mixed up the medical reports of Markov and Gorges last summer….

• Les Canayens says:

Just like Cliff Fletcher confused Jeff Friesen with Jeff Finger.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▂▃▄▅▆▇
      I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☛☺☚

42. JF says:

Great news. The term may be a bit long, but the price is right. I think Gorges would have gotten more had he chosen to test free agency, which I was very much afraid would happen. I hope he’s our next captain.

43. gerrybell says:

Watching NFL Game Day today the discussion was about should the Colts take Luck with the first pick. Bill Parcels commented “where do you wanna be in the three years?” [side note — without Manning and with Luck at the helm.

onto the Habs. where do we wanna be in the three years?

i would like to see:

– Price, Subban, Max Pac, DD locked into long term deals.

-Georges and Pleks still around.

-Eller too but he is over rated. [not sure if he will be any better than a 3rd line centerman. ]

– Emelin, ryan white as well.

the habs have tried to create a winner by signing UFA’s with little left to prove. How hard are Gionta and Gomez playing anymore? they won their two cups – have their big contracts – looking forward to retirment. Cammy and Cole are still playing hard because they want their shot at a cup. [wont be with the habs for a bit tho]

If the Canadiens wanna be a legit cup contender in the future i believe they need to get rid of their UFA’s [Kost, Gill, Moen, Campoli], and figure out a way to better spend the money they have invested in Gomez, Markov and Kabs.

That kaberle move was so ridiculous. 4 million in cap space freed up with Spacek’s departure and we reinvest in Kabs. dumb. I am sure teams can understand the Habs sending gomez to Hamilton next year, but no one will understand if we send he and Kabs there. that wont look good.

in closing of my manifesto, sign young players to long term deals, get rid of the old guys who have already won cups.

g
    b

44. RJ says:

Fantastic signing.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

45. LA Loyalist says:

Great move. How about now we sign a coach for the D?

Or can that not happen until the summer, when we sign a head coach? Another example of how JM should have gone to the guillotine last summer after the game 3 playoff choke-joke at home.

For me that was all I needed to see. We were not prepared for the most important game of the year.

• GHT120 says:

New GM should pick the coach and the coach and GM should agree on the assistant coaches.

Even if Molson were to commit to PG (hypothetical statement only to make a point) he should not jump to pick new full-time coaches mid-season.

• Malreg says:

We have a defense coach currently who played in over 1,000 NHL games and captained 2 different teams in the league.

Randy Ladouceur. People seem to forget that.

46. twilighthours says:

Far and away our best defenseman this year. Without him back there… I shudder to think.

Good on him, and good on PG for getting this right, even if it is a bit of an overpayment.

Seems like we need to move kaberle for next year for sure.

—————————————————————–

47. Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t know… I understand Gorges’ worth, and I can live with this. I’m disappointed that he could have signed for less than this for 6 years had they given Gorges the trust they gave Markov.

48. Sal says:

Absolutely love it, now, do NOT let PG make any trades/deals. Josh Gorges is a stud defenseman, should have been named Capain, no offense to BG, also a character guy. Just love his leadership, blocks shots, and, seldom loses a battle no matter the opponent. Finally did something right. Ya, too bad he didn’t wait to do the same deal with Markov.

Sal from the Hammer

49. slapshot777 says:

Price I’d say is worth 5.5 mil and Subban is 4.5 mil

• Trisomy 21 says:

I wouldn’t pay Subban 4.5 mill by how he’s played this season. No way he deserves more than Gorges yet. In a few years maybe, but this season hasn’t been that great for him

• RGM says:

No way in hell is P.K. worth $4.5M with the year he’s having. He’d be lucky to get $3M at this point.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• habs-fan-84 says:

my thoughts exactly.

• RGM says:

If he were playing like last year, maybe, but I think a lot of folks here are thinking that he’s our version of Drew Doughty…well, Doughty’s miles and miles ahead of PK this year.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• habscout says:

I think Price would be worth $5.5M. There’s no way Subban is worth $4.5M for his next contract, and I’m a big fan of the guy. He would be better off signing a 2 year contract like Price’s, for less than what he may get. Pour on the commitment to rounding out his game during that time, then he’ll be in a good position to earn a bigger salary.

• Carnegie says:

I remember a lad by the name of Larry Robinson. He took a couple years to really get his ass in gear. But in his first 2 years, you could see the possibilities. It’s kinda like that for me with Subban.

• The Dude says:

Price’s agents going to ask more than$5.5 and Subbans$2.7 mil if ya ask me.

50. avatar_58 says:

So if Gorges is worth that much, what would Price be? Subban?

• habs-fan-84 says:

After this year? Subban is probably 2 – 3 million/yr. at a 2 – 3 year deal..? Maybe. His stock has definitely dropped. That said, long term he will be a top 10 defenseman in the league.

• Malreg says:

I’m guessing PK will get a 2 year deal, maybe $3 million a season.

Price will probably get 5+ years at just over $5.5 million.

• aj says:

Assuming of course if Price will agree to a $5.5M in 5+ years. Projected numbers show that his value will go up next season up to $7Million per year.

Possibly as well for Subban, maybe around that figure of $5-6M per yr when he does sign up for next season. 2-3.5Million for 4 or 5 years is logical though, his stats and his performance lately is not making him deserve a big whooper of cash.

51. Sharks9 says:

Great signing at a fair price. No he doesn’t put up a ton of points but I’m sure he would get even more than 3.9 if he went the open market route and he should have close to the same skill level until he’s 33 so we’re not stuck with him for too long if his play declines.

25 before 14

• stevieboy says:

Great move and way for PG to show were focused on next year, lets go boys, Habs 12 13 here we come.
      Now dump Gomez Gio and maybe Cammy, and free up some cash (watch them go at trade deadline for picks) and we’ll be ok
      PK will come in cheaper then expected after this years bomb

Stevie

52. RGM says:

Given that this was my Christmas present this year:

I think you guys can imagine that I’m pretty happy today. :)
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

53. Habfan10912 says:

I think the 3.9 is a decent value. Put a letter on his jersey.
    If Epps did say what some are quoting him as saying, Gorges should fire him. Even if true you don’t create a firestorm on the day of the signing.

54. twilighthours says:

Since he will be here for another 6 years, we should probably learn how to spell his name properly: Gorges.

—————————————————————–

55. good news amid chaos…. Georges is solid and has a heart.

now lets tune up the offense. stick with the lines of a couple of games past. don’t tinker until it is warranted. Get LeBlanc back in the lineup.
    Put Eller back with Cole…etc. We can’t always rely on Price….instead gather some puck luck and put the puck in the net. Intensity in the oppositions end, resulting in turnovers. We have to average at least 3 to 4 goals a game to get anywhere. Emelin’s hits are the plays that are supposed to buoy a team…. keep them coming, and make him a regular on defense. kaberle is another story. wtf he has done little since the first game when he was acquired. Please give him a kick in the ass….Subban stop with the cute stuff…i loved your rushes but too far and infrequent in my estimation. We were down a goal with four minutes left…somebody take the puck to the net with heart… please, it is a New Year. Playoffs or not here we come…i don’t care. Yet just showing up ain’t good enough – play like Cole.

• solomio says:

Kaberle has done nothing? Where you been beaverboy?

56. Fab K says:

This may have saved PG’s job until the end of the year… Great signing!

57. slapshot777 says:

If 6’01” is undersized then please tell me what size player are we suppose to have. All I hear is we have too many small players, fine then when we sign a player over 6′ he is still undersized.

We have Tinordi in the pipeline at 6’07” so does he fall into an oversize player.

• mrhabby says:

undersized as in top 6 forwards..camms, dd, pleks, gionta, gomez..

• aj says:

At least we have a prospect player like Tinordi who’s 6’7. We need guys that size and we know for sure that Gill won’t be signed come next season.

The Defense corps for the Canadiens may end up something like this for 2012-2013:

PK Subban; Gosh Gorges; Alexei Emelin; Raphael Diaz; Jarred Tinordi; Nathan Beaulieu. 2 more to add the blueline and they’re set.

• LA Loyalist says:

I highly doubt Tinordi and Beaulieu will be up for more than a cup of coffee next year. We do NOT want to rush these kids, D especially. That said, I will defer to Serieux as he watches them closely.

You also assume Markov is done (which I admit is possible) and that Kaberle is gone, not to mention Weber and Campoli. We especially need to see quite a lot of Campoli in the next 60 days to get him in game shape and see what we have.

While I am all for dumping our boat-anchor vets, we also have to bring the kids along carefully. D take longer to mature, even more so in a large body (Tinordi).

Which is why we need wisdom and good judgement upstairs.

58. rogieshan says:

The rebuilt has begun. Can the captaincy title be far behind for Gorges?

The defense is now solidified moving forward with:

Gorges, Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Beaulieu and Tinordi.

59. Propwash says:

Ahh, remember the days of yore when one year wasn’t enough? Glad he’s sticking with the team.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

60. Chrisadiens says:

Love the extension, but I’m curious about the timing. I thought Montreal did not talk contracts during the season? Seems odd to me.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• aj says:

I think judging from the fact that PG’s job is on the line, the move already spell’s his character – “Desperation”

• Trisomy 21 says:

Maybe they realize this season’s become a write-off

• RGM says:

If there’s a guy that deserves to be exempt from the policy, it’s Josh. I think that the organization gave the 1-year deal as a “show me” contract, and he’s brought it, big time.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

61. twilighthours says:

Smiler, good point. And price should definitely be retained.

62. Sheldon says:

Next the Habs will announce that they have inked Boris Strelnikov of Lokomotive Minsk of the KHL for $3MM. The 6’5″ center has been terrorizing that League and is one of the reasons Jagr returned to NA. Evidently, he is spooked by the guy.

63. habs-fan-84 says:

guy’s, It’s the intangibles

64. smiler2729 says:

Aren’t Gorges and Price best buddies?

This goes a long way toward Price staying

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

65. Habsbill24 says:

Gorges is a guy that cares and plays hard but has no offensive skill and is undersized. 3.9 M seems much too high for his skill set. I don’t know how they find the cap space unless Markov is finished and Gomez goes to the AHL.

• DearyLeary says:

Undersized? He’s 6’1″. He doesn’t plaster people, but he’s strong on the puck and is physical as needed.

I would have preferred 3.5, but the 400,000 gap isn’t something I’ll gripe over.

It signals the fact that Gauthier might be willing to sell some veterans for picks/prospects to retool for a couple of years out. Gallagher and Tinordi have been drawing some great reviews at the tournament this year (Tinordi is being hailed as having made a giant developmental leap from last year, a 6’7″ defenceman who can play 25+ minutes isn’t far off for Montreal). I also love the way Beaulieu has been playing (despite his lack of production) he has poise with the puck and is showing a lot of toughness by confirming he will play with what seems to be an obviously broken cheek bone.

So this locks up an important veteran defenceman to help a lot of incoming youth. I’m happy with the deal.

• aj says:

The way I see it, Gorges SHOULD HAVE been the Captain instead of Gionta.

66. neumann103 says:

a messsge?

has pg been given the green light to sign the key rfas and start deling the guys who were not going to be back next year anyhow?

“Et le but!”

67. Curtis O Habs says:

Please sign Price.

• aj says:

hopefully they still have money to sign #31!

Just checking at TSN 990 website and its an approximate $3.9 million per year through Gorges’s 6 yr contract.

Price’s value will go up $7-8 Million, making him the most valuable contract player in the Habs.

So logically, the only way to get rid of Gomez is through a buyout or send him to waivers then put him in Hamilton.

68. aj says:

Woe! Looks like Gauthier is making some of those ‘cute-moves’ to save his ass!

Not bad for a 6 yr, $23 Million dollar contract for Gorges.

Now, if only the current GM would dump the contracts of Markov, Gio, Gomez, and make trades for them that would be nice.

69. likehoy says:

GOD I hate PG.
    he keeps doing things that make sense!!

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Sap Anderson says:

This is a good move. You can add it to “Carey over Halak” and the Erik Cole signing as things that make sense.

The rest of it doesn’t make sense, i.e. trading for Kaberle, trading for Moore, Wizniewski, et al for picks and not singing then, the Markov signing, holding on to Martin for so long, and the list goes on…

• likehoy says:

PG has his ups and downs..
        3.9million is pretty steep for a top 4 dman without offense

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• mrhabby says:

IF he tests the open market, pg would have to overpay again.

• likehoy says:

then don’t sign him?

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• mrhabby says:

leaving us with no d…no tx

• likehoy says:

there’s free-agency.. didn’t look at who’s available but we might be able to get better value, just saying.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Sap Anderson says:

True, but Volchenkov fetched $4.25 million, so in context it’s not a TERRIBLE deal. It is a bit expensive, but Gorges is the kind of player and teammate that fans and players love to have on the team. Nice player, great leader, and good signing IMO.

That said, PG will have to move some salary off the books and FAST

• likehoy says:

that’s true, my concern is that he’s signed till 33-34.. and his offensive game won’t be increasing so by 30, 3.9m for a player like him becomes a bit steep.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• mrhabby says:

all good points..iam hoping this maybe the start of further changes…were desperate for some news.

• Sap Anderson says:

likehoy

Excellent point.. I would also add to the list of concerns that Gorges is rather undersized and plays a very physically demanding game. No way to tell how his body will hold up in 6 years.

In the grand scheme of things, however, I still like the signing for the reasons stated above. We can’t chalk up all of the Habs’ woes to Jacques Martin and lack of size and talent.. I think there is a major lack of heart on the roster as well, and this is definitely where Gorges is required.

• jhab93 says:

I think PG is doing just fine, although the kaberle deal is a tough blow. He is drafting real smart and if we are to rebuild he is perfect for it IMO. The Wiz deal was a good one, but it’s not his fault Markov is injured. Wiz was there to replace Markov. Although now we wished we signed Wiz, we all thought that Markov was starting the season. Plus we already have a yound right handed d-men in Subban and Weber. PG traded for Moore because we didn’t have a big centremen but in the summer he traded Halak for Eller taking up that 3rd line spot.

Thats the way the cookie crumbles

• aj says:

Love him or hate him, Gauthier has definded himself through his business practices as a Grinch or better, THE MOLE of the franchise! A saboteur and a louzy risk taker.

70. mrhabby says:

wow..right out of left park…the start of some changes whatever they maybe.

71. kempie says:

Wow. This is very good news.

72. otter649 says:

Pierre Lebrun says 6 x 3.9 cap hit….

• likehoy says:

overpaid

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• db says:

It’s what it takes in Quebec… we’ve had him at a bargain price long enough.

• likehoy says:

3.9m cap hit.. and he doesn’t put up points….

I blame this on Markov. If Markov was never hurt, gorges wouldn’t have to play 23 minutes a game and make us think he’s a top pairing dman.. but for a top pairing dman, gorges doesn’t put up nearly enough points

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• db says:

Can’t argue there.. 4 mil is kinda steep for no production, but ya never know.. maybe he’ll work on his shot at some point in the next 6.

• Sheldon says:

Yep, he ain’t worth that amount of scratch. No how, no way. Wait until you see how much they will have to dole out to keep Price!

73. habs-fan-84 says:

Told ya so!

As I said last night, PG will sign Gorges.
    When Gomez is healthy PG will bury him in the minors.

74. twilighthours says:

Should we congratulate him or pity him?

—————————————————————–

75. likehoy says:

not really
    only cammalleri, gomez, and now JG

everyone else is pretty fairly paid.

Gionta is arguable.. he did lead the team in goal scoring two years straight, but a 5 million/yr player should be getting at least 60 points.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

76. HabFab says:

No movement for year one and limited afterwards.

77. TheMock780 says:

Welcome to today’s NHL. If you want to be succesful you have to lock up young players to long cap friendly deals. The only problem here is that Georges didn’t get a long deal 2-3 years ago. The days of being able to give young players 1 or 2 year deals are over