Gorges on the radio

gorges091209

Mitch Melnick reached Josh Gorges at his off-season home in Kelowna Monday afternoon.
The defenceman sounds upbeat – his knee feels “fantastic” – and not at all bitter about his contract negotiations.

Gorges said he would have preferred longer term.

But, he added, the team had to make a business calculation based on assessing how well Gorges has recovered from knee surgery that restricted him to 36 games last season.

Gorges was also pleased the Canadiens re-signed his defence partner, Hal Gill.

Here’s the interview, from the Team 990 archives

And this, from the team website

1. abhot says:

.http://voguecatch。com
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

…………..*….. .*
    ………………*http://www.goodoye.com/
    Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35
    Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

3. JohnBellyful says:

In other news …
    If this whole Jets thing doesn’t work out, what with all the Hullabaloo over the look of the logo and player numbers, the team can always resort to Plan B. Call themselves the Winnipeggo’s.
    It’s a fitting name for an organization that has some baggage, and like all sports teams, doesn’t stay in one place for very long in the course of a season.
    A partnership with the RV manufacturer could lead to all sorts of possibilities. No more charter or commercial flights. Pack the team into a half-dozen motor homes and let the players get to know the country, and each other, while they travel from one game to the next. What better way for players to bond on the road, and there wouldn’t be the expense of hotel accommodations.
    And fans from across the country could plan pilgrimages to Winnipeg to take in a game and set up a temporary motor home community in an area of the arena parking lot especially reserved for them.
    As for logo, how hard would it be to come up with one that’s more appealing than what’s drawn all the flak? A streamlined RV, for example, coming over the crest of a hill, a stylized hockey stick detailed along its side. Perhaps a cloud of mosquitoes in hot pursuit as well.
    Just a belated thought. Was there a contest?

• Bugs says:

With a logo like that, GUARANTEED there was no submission contest.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Marc10 says:

Man, HIO should get behind this idea and start a summer logo contest around that. What a great idea!

And then we could also do one for the Nordiques when they replace the Coyotes or the Isles…

I’ve got a vision of the RV from Spaceballs with John Candy at the helm with flames coming out of the engines… Nice!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Un Canadien errant says:

So many young players would love to play for Winnipeg if that were the case. Winnebago roadies are the best.

———————————
      For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

• Chester says:

We have lost you …

4. JohnBellyful says:

Enough with pics of Josh and the Band-Aid/sinus declogger on his nose. Can we get a picture of his knee? Just to make sure it’s about the same size as the other, facing the same way, and there’s no visible signs of hardware. Otherwise I worry about speculation running rampant over the true state of his health and the reasons behind the one-year contract.

5. gohabs9240 says:

At least he didn’t criticize PG for wanting to see how he plays with his knee.

6. hansolo says:

Great interview with Gorges. He’s a mature guy who obviously has decided to let his play on the ice speak for him. He could have chosen to say something negative about the contract but was gracious enough to understand the team’s viewpoint. With that maturity and that highly-developed sense of team ethos, I believe he’s a future captain, or at least an alternate.

I also give PG credit for handing the negotiations skillfully and tactfully. He didn’t antagonize Jorges’ camp and there seems to be plenty of mutual respect, which augurs well for future negotiations.

7. JD_ says:

Radio, eh? Guess Jorgy didn’t want anyone to see him writhin’ in agonizin’ pain every time the movement of his jaw triggered daggers of pain down his leg.

The whole situation is slowly but surely spinnin’ out of control.

8. I blame it all on the aliens.

• Everlasting1 says:

Don’t be lumping all aliens into the same class. Some are good, some baad, m’kay.

——————————————————————-
      “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bill J says:

You’re weird.

Your post Vs. Your signature makes your post one giant oxymoron.

Just sayin’

• Talik Sanis says:

As I recall (Everlasting, forgive me if I’m wrong) he believes that extra-terrestrials form the basis for religious myth. His old signature related to the creation of man in “our” image; he feels that the verse speaks of a collective of unearthly beings, rather than the traditional explanation of the biblical creation narrative being a derivation of, and/or a response to, Babylonian creation myth.

In his new signature, God taking his place in a divine council amidst the gods translates to, I would assume, our alien creators/mentors? leaving the Earth behind to rejoin a group of extra-terrestrial races.

At least, that’s how I understand it. Feel free to correct me if I’ve misrepresented your beliefs.

• Everlasting1 says:

At least someone gets it.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Talik Sanis says:

Allow me to paraphrase Bart Simpson. Your beliefs are strange; you should be sensible like the rest of us and worship a carpenter who died 2000 years ago.

• Everlasting1 says:

He was also an avid fisherman. My kind of bloke.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Un Canadien errant says:

In a way, it’s about as reasonable as Christianity or Islam or the Book of Mormons or Dianetics or Jehovah’s Witnesses. Everlasting is just a man who admits he doesn’t understand everything, like pretty much all of us do, but he along with a significant majority of humanity takes a ridiculous leap of logic and invents other-worldly reasons for the unexplained.

———————————

• Bill J says:

Talik & E1: lol, if you believe I worship any being you’re mistaken.

But bringing aliens into the equation is reaching!

To each their own. But FYI, this is a hockey site, not the religious aliens convention.

UCE: I had no clue about these 2, knowledge is indeed a beautiful thing ;)

• Everlasting1 says:

I think my conclusions are more reasonable/logical because I don’t ‘invent’ my beliefs, I don’t pray, and not making a ‘leap of faith’. The evidence is there if you took the time to research. To this day there are more sightings/encounters of alien beings than a GOD.
            You, on the other hand, don’t have a modicum of passing knowledge on anything, therefore nothing to add. Stick to what you know, chump.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

9. PM013 says:

I’m very happy Gorges is signed, I just can’t figure out with PG wouldn’t have signed him for 3 years 10 Million range. He has played without and ACL for 7 years, I think he is going to be great.

Welcome Back Josh

• dasbooth says:

I think it has to do with the fact that they already took a bit of a risk and had to sign Markov to a longer term. Didn’t want (or have to) do it twice.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Josh’s can do yessir attitude hurt him in this negotiation, Mr. Gauthier probably knew he could hold fast on term and still have a really good chance of re-signing him before he tests free agency. Mr. Gauthier might not have risked it had Josh been any different than what he displayed in the radio interview.

———————————

10. scrowe21 says:

If only Gorges could chip in offensively..

If he walks as a UFA next year, which I doubt he will.. dream replacement = Niklas Kronwall.. who probably won’t leave his team either..

11. SyntaxLove says:

Money can’t buy the kind of loyalty and dedication Mr. Gorges has shown both in his work ethic and in his commitment to Montreal. His positivity and determination are infectious. I’m glad to have him for another year, hopefully more.

I began last season thinking Mr. Gill was too slow, too old, too soft. But the more I watched, the more I studied his strengths and his weakness, the more I came to rely on him. He is undeniably old, slow and soft. I believe this is his last season with us. His skill set has become varied and unique. Of course he’s a veteran stay-at-home defenceman; that’s his league identity. He’s also a leader, a mentor, a diffuser. P.K Subban’s game was vastly improved alongside Gill. Everyone he plays with seems to like him. That alone is enough to warrant another year with us.

Chinchillin’

12. MTLForever says:

Gorges is a really nice, understanding guy. I got to meet him back in February. I hope the best for him this upcoming season and I’d love to sign him long term after that. He definitely is a warrior out there.

13. 24moreCups says:

I really like Gorges as a person and a player, I’m glad he’s back he seems to really like playing in Montreal and seems to understand what it means to play here.

If we can manage to stay healthy I think we should have a good season.

Go Habs Go.

Enough already! Bring on the snow, send this heat south and for crying out loud, drop the puck.!

• Rugger says:

Don’t you dare send it south Ian, we just got rid of above 100 degree weather here in New England (low 70′s rain all day!)

• Bugs says:

Why don’t you head north instead, Mr.Ian?
      It’ll be quicker that way, no?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Habies says:

Live the Dream, Ian, just live it large. …. and take some of this Myanmar monsoon with ya while you’re at it, Jack Frost. You know, I haven’t seen a blue sky in 62 days here in Yangon – in other words, it’s been a shade of wet grey since the Boo-ins won the Stanl—– (!) no, still can’t say it. won’t say it. Hopefully ever again.

15. dasbooth says:

I like his stance that he understands where the brass are coming from.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

Doesn’t sound like he is going to be performing Hari Kari on himself. Let’s hope hope he has a great year!

17. hab_skill says:

Well, that answers almost everybody’s questions. Hopefully Gorges plays well this season. Without any injuries we have one of the top blue lines, in my opinion.