Gorges “missing” ACL for 7 years

AUDIO: Jacques Martin

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges took a philosophical approach today to his right knee injury, which in the days ahead will require reconstructive surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament he said he tore in his final year of junior hockey in 2003-04 in Kelowna.

Gorges added that annual checkups showed he could continue to play, but that one day the joint would need repair. That day has arrived.

Gorges hoped to know by day’s end, or soon thereafter, where and when he’d have his surgery, having finally damaged his knee to the point of needing an operation, on Dec. 26 in Long Island.

Only five Canadiens took to the ice this morning downtown at the Bell Centre: goalies Carey Price and Alex Auld, defencemen Roman Harmlik and Yannick Weber and forward David Desharnais.

Hamrlik told reporters he expected to be ready to return to action tomorrow night when the Boston Bruins visit the Bell Centre.

Five video clips of Gorges’s talk appear below.

lEHq26NHqyw

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

God no! Love Josh. Speedy recovery (but not too speedy — come back whole). Comment was about AK46. Apologies.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

drop Gomez to a role where he would succeed.

Yeah, but that would mean firing Youppi.

3. flowerpower_74 says:

I like the idea of Koivu coming back , but that is not what I asked. What do you think of Dustin Penner coming here in a trade for Kostitsyn? Do you think it could be done?

Defence wins Championships…

4. krob1000 says:

I would love to have Koivu back…..drop Gomez to a role where he would succeed…he would be the best third line center in the league and would be a weapon as a shutdown guy IMO.  Koivu would actually have wingers and he would not drive his linemates nuts because he would nbe willing to go to the net…him ang Gio would buzz like crazy and any winger would therefore have space. despite their lack of size both Koivu and Gio always have demonstrated a big mans willingness and ability to wreak havoc in front of the net.

5. The Cat says:

I certainly am not in love with Price, and I dont form opinions based on a one game stretch, but I think anyone who watches this team likely knows that Price is the team’s only hope for a cup, cause this team aint gonna win too many 4-3, 5-4 games.

6. Say Ash says:

Huh, and I thought players didn’t post on this site.

7. oshawahabsfan says:

Nice!

8. krob1000 says:

no prob Ian…someday I am going to write a “Krobtypo/English” dictionary for people to refer to before having to read my error filled posts.  Sorry about that….but I jsut cannot type well enough and I like to type as fast as I can with my unorthodox style so I don’t lose my train of thought but it often comes outlike these posts…I am a work in progress but I fear that 5 years in I am no longer a typing prospect ….this might just be who I am as a typer lol

9. gloveside says:

Keep saying “what if” all the way to 10th place. We certainly not challenging for the cup if we don’t make the top 8.

10. flowerpower_74 says:

Nice win last night, but there does seem to be something missing from this team. I think we will be okay on defence once Hamrlick comes back, and apparently it will be tomorrow night against the Bruins.

Just throwing something out there, if anybody agrees, or has an opinion; what do you habs fans think of making a trade with the OILERS for Penner? Do you think they would go for a trade for Kostitsyn straight up? Or will they ask for more? And if they do , what are we willing to give up?

I think Dustin Penner would be an awesome addition to our team, 6 foot 4 winger with skill.

Defence wins Championships…

11. krob1000 says:

you bet it would…that would be the clincher for sure…3 Markov’s and Shero’s  in…but I wouldn’t do it at that point…….unless they take Gomez too….then I’ll throw in a 3rd Markov.  Wow…it is fun just creating Markov’s…we could pull of some serious deals.

12. bwoar says:

No.  Boyd on the 1st line is a joke.

And why do we need to break up Pouliot-DD-Darche already?  Or MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta?  I’d put Eller in AK46′s spot if we can’t swing a deal for a better winger.

I just tried to respond to your post krob, but it made no sense when I read it.

So I will just say this, I am going to let Martin continue, hoping for similar results come this spring. I will bring him into my office to discuss his results at the end of the season.

14. Malreg says:

…Was that supposed to be sarcasm?  Are you even talking about Josh Gorges?

15. Bugs says:

Can’t relegate performing veterans, not to mention insulting them by putting a waiver-clearer in their place.

I reject your alignment proposal as preposterous.

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

16. krob1000 says:

I would like to see Gomez playing in a checking role…..he drove me nuts last night with his unwillingness to go tot he net.  He is a psser, he is a fast skater and is often waiting fro help as he likes to pass….does he not understand that works both ways? He too has to be a passing option for other guys…..not just when the puck is handed to him in our end so he can skate it.  He cost us chances three shifts in a about a 10 minute span last night where there was open ice in the slot, one of Patches or Gio would get the puck by winning a race or battle inthe corner or behind the net….and Gomez would instead skate to the perimeter i assume wanting to switch positiosn so he could pass it?unfortunately the other team decided every time they didn’t have time or any patience tow ait for Gomez’s world to unfold as he had hoped…so they just took the puck.  The few good games he ahd in a row he showed a willingness to at least go to dirty areas and try and shoot the puck….his shot is not great..so what? it stops the other team from cheating, creates space and keep his linemates able to play hockey….his play last night was frustrating me to the nth degree and I can;t imagine what it would be like to be an undersized, overacheiving winger of his battling guys 50lnbs heavier  only to have noone to pass too, or to be a rookie whois looking to back his talk early in the season after leading the AHL in scoring…only to have his work nullified too.

I thought Cammi played alright aside from a brief stretch where he decided he played for the Pens and went tape to tape on consecutive passes.  Cammi isn’t hitting his spots right now, he fell on a 2 on 1 but at least he is in the right place for the chances….Ak is Ak…he is what he is….but to me he is the key to that line getting going…when he is on everything is great….and I saw last night soem decent signs anyway…he made a few very heady passess, had some nice rushes and won a few battles…nowhere near what he is capable of and was doing earlier…but some encouraging signs anyway.Poliot played well….Desharnais did nothing I noticed to warrant the praise from Benoit…his Parents did all the work that garneered him that praise.  I have nothing really negative to say about him…he made some good passes but I still prefer Eller myself….Eller with linemates who haven’t obviously been caught sneaking a peak at Medusa that is.

17. bwoar says:

It’s not often we agree 100%, in this case I am fully behind the ‘ute’ movement.  At this point imma start calling for Eller instead of AK46 as Kostitsyn will surely be the next to go, and the younger guy needs icetime.

Not my favorite thing to pull him away from centre (where he looks much more comfortable) but we’ve got enough to squeak into the playoffs at this point IMO.  That’s the limit to my hopes for the team this year.  I don’t see a real contender by nay means, even if by some magical fantasy Jarome Iginla showed up in Brossard one morning wearing the CH.  On the bright side it oughta be much, much worse without Andrei Markov.

So, let’s play the kids (DD included) and see where they can take us.  Eventually #13 will start scoring in bunches and the ride will at least be interesting.  I really think this is the quietest youth movement in the NHL right now, and we haven’t tanked in order to make it happen (even if we did give up a pretty decent goaltender.)

As for the NJ fans, they might be right, but anyone playing on that team this year has gotta be in hell so, not surprising if the old guy wearing the C bears the horns.

18. HabFanSince72 says:

1. We’re not challenging for the Stanley Cup.

2. We have 13 forwards as it is, and Ryan White is knocking on the door.

3. You’re not trading for Langenbrunner, you’re trading for 40 games of Langenbrunner.

4. What if Price goes down for the season, or Hamr? We need to keep some cap space.

Conclusion: not worth it.

19. Bugs says:

Uhhh… True!

Ha! See what I did there, Jordy? No elaboration necessary. In other words, until you fortify your weak retort, my initial statement reigns supreme.

Happy New Year, signed

20. Omit says:

Really!?  Boyd went through waivers and you think he could play on the 1st line?

21. Dunboyne Mike says:

Well, perhaps you’d agree that although he had moments, he never had consistency. And like I said previously, he just never looks like winning hockey games is his number one priority. Would Bowman have kept him?

22. light_n_tasty says:

Maybe 3 will do the trick.

23. REB says:

Ok, here goes….

Call Boyd back up, and trade AK46 to a team out west…I don’t care what we get back, pucks, prospects, picks, doesn’t matter.  Yes, he’ll probably light it up somewhere else, and I don’t care, I’m tired of waiting for him to light it up in Mtl.  He was drafted in 2003, and has had almost 8 yrs to ‘light it up’, and I think we can pretty well figure out that it’s just not going to happen in Mtl.

Having traded AK46 and called Boyd back up, here are my line combinations, in no particular order.

Pax – Desharnais – Pouliot

Boyd – Pleks – Cami

Eller – Gomez – Gionta

Darche/Pyatt – Halpern – Moen

24. Bugs says:

D’Agostini was never a post-hitting, open-net missing, glorious chance-shanking sniper like Higgins is/was, I’m afraid, but point well taken regardless.

Happy New Year, signed

25. HFX-HabFan says:

Langenbrunner has a NTC, and Lamoriello asked him to consider waiving it for only a few teams (all in the West by most reports).  Philly put in a better offer than a third rounder but Lamoriello didn’t want to deal within in the division; it’s not much more of a stretch to think he wanted to avoid trading his captain to a team in the same conference.

26. Bugs says:

Odd how ALL the haters of ALL the players are absent the day after a great performance.

Thankfully, the pot-stirrers are out in force to egg them on and that invariably leads to FINER argumentation, yes?

Happy New Year, signed

27. Dunboyne Mike says:

Mike Ribeiro anyone?

28. LA Loyalist says:

Where’s the Finnish?

Saku and Teemu are in Anaheim, Mika is in Minnesota…

(sorry, don’t lob them up like that)

29. patience is a virtue says:

OK, besides the point that last night’s W was a very good thing, I totally agree with your concerns.

Markov and Gorges are gone for the season, yet our bigger challenge is not defense, it’s consistent offensive production.  I am not looking for league leading numbers – JM’s System is built for low scoring games.  I like The System.  I think it works.  I also like the trade for The Wiz and Weber having an opportunity to play – two offensive Dmen who can hopefully help end the scoring drought.

But it comes back to our core forwards.  Cam, Pleks, AK, Gomez, Gionta and [Max Pac, etc]  have to get it done.  Maybe Desharnais can bring the third line to life the way Halpern did earlier in the season.  That would be big.

I’m not worried about the lack of size or motivation the way some folks here seem to be – BG and PG have transformed the culture of the Habs into one of hard work and team commitment, and they have tried to address the size issues with long-term assets like Eller, Max Pac, Subban, and LeBlanc who have speed to go along with their size and skills (a not so common combination).

I agree with you that the road to the Cup probably runs through Pittsburgh.  We have been through there before without Markov.  And I actually think that a more mature Price and Subban + The Wiz will outweigh the loss of Gorges, however hard it is to take his absence.

Hope is not lost for this season or playoffs.

30. rocketsglare says:

Practice makes perfect as they say.

31. hab_skill says:

That is pretty incredible. Not only did he play for seven years but he played really well for some of those years.

32. G-Man says:

Odd how you keep harping on last year’s subject. Aside from that, Price has been okay. His erratic play continues, sometimes better sometimes worse, but without complete meltdowns.

For a player that’s hardly won a game in the last month, that gesture was the same old thing from him.

There? Happy now?

33. LA Loyalist says:

If this was the trade deadline and we needed insurance for the playoffs, I might be with you on Lgb.

However the New Jersey fans are saying his tank is pretty empty, and given the reality of our injuries we probably need to focus on our utes and see where we are.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Gomez and Gionta are not the future, even if we’re stuck with them, so let’s let the kids make mistakes this year when can’t make a run for the cup and that will help us understand what our next moves should be.

34. krob1000 says:

2 markov’s? ok…but I still don’t think he’ll do it

35. Say Ash says:

Their “B” goalie against us is definitely MAF. Gomez might have gotten a hat trick if MAF started the game.

36. Jordio-oh says:

Odd how the Carey haters are absent the day after he puts up a great performance.

I like Carey because he’s our goalie, but i think i like him even more because when he plays well he keeps the usual suspects away and it makes for a much more enjoyable atmosphere in here.

Aside from that, I’d like to see the numbers on our passing percentage from last night. I know i’m not the only one who thought our passes were just terrible. That 5 on3 pp sequence drove me crazy.

37. krob1000 says:

I feel the opposite…I think offensive talent is far harder to teach if teachable at all…sometimes a light clicks for guys but those cases are rare.  However, guys who used to be scorers are often able to learn the defensvie side of the game and contribute in those ways…..also sometimes implementing a defensvie system and dictating offensive players position for them weakens their offensive prowress.  Many scoers are predators…they do little but search for open ice and seams…..they can;t do this when they aren;t permitted to.  We have several guys on our team who are cut out for offense but simply cannot with our commitment to d> Some scorers are not overly talented or dynamic one on one guys, they don’t necessarily make their own space like Kovalchuk or Ovechkin but they are wizards at finding it and have great shots and abilities to score on those chances.  AK and Cammi come to mind…Gio can do this too and when POuliot was hot he too did it.  Then came overcommittment to d….i love that JM made these guys somewhat responsible in our end but I think he has taken it too far with some of the guys who are just not those type of players.  It looked great for the two games prior to this….they were attacking the net, shotting because guys were going to teh ent, stretching the d out a bit, d was helping on the rush and in the ozone, and guys appeared to be cheating a bit…as is even if we force the other team to turn the puckover there is no help for whoever pciks it off or jars the puck loose…generally speaking.

38. Malreg says:

How do you know they didn’t try?  Langenbrunner had a full NTC, and waived it to go to his former team and play for his good friend Joe Nieuwendyk.

Maybe he didn’t want to come here?  Then again it’s easier to assume the negative side of everything.

SD – I believe that you are stealing my ideas on this one.  Although I didn’t state it as elegantly as you did:-)

I can’t believe that Cammy won’t eventually catch fire just like I also believe that the Wiz is not the second coming of Serge Savard.  (The minus stat might have something to do with the fact that the Isles are the worst team in the NHL and that the Wiz was asked to take on Streit’s role as well as his own.  He’s not a #1 guy.  In fact, he might be better suited as a 2nd pairing Dman).

As Shiram stated, the Wiz is a solid pick-up and we got him two months before the deadline.  If Moore was worth a 2nd, then the Wiz must be as well.

40. light_n_tasty says:

You can throw in Markov too.

41. bwoar says:

There was likely a heated debate among the brass on that one.  On one side Gomez & Gionta must’ve been pulling for it, and like you I thought it’d be a good idea.  But on the other side: the guy is very old, and we’ve been silently pushing a youth movement this year (it seems to have gone mostly unnoticed somehow!) so I surmise there’s a faction at the top who want to stay that course.

At the start of the year we only had room for one of PK or Weber, now it seems both will be important.

Same thing for Eller vs. DD – both or none could’ve started with the club, now both are up and fighting for ice time.  But for how long?  Will we see Eller on the wing soon?  Adding Langenbrunner (which I admit would still have been my choice) would’ve moved at least 1 player back to Hamilton.  Which may still happen.  But Gauthier has been pretty consistent in going after younger players so I expect any addition in the second half to follow suit.

42. otter649 says:

Hopefully Roman Harmlik will be back for the game with The Bruins……..lol

Rocketsglare,

Defensive play wins championships, and offensive finish with soft hands are created through repetitive practice daily.

So much time and effort studying and working on the positioning and defensive part of the game, (which is the toughest part of the game for the whole squad to buy into by the way.)

I feel the team is not spending enough time working on stick work, timing, face offs, and quick tape to tape passing, which in turn results in proper finish in front of the oppositions net.

44. krob1000 says:

our half Italian Higgins was traded to St. Louis

45. krob1000 says:

so would this procedure be called Tommy Gone surgery?

46. Jordio-oh says:

a 35 year old player when we’re still not ready to contend for a title?

no thanks.

47. Jordio-oh says:

The “B goalie” with a better GAA, sv% and winning percentage than Fleury…..

Not me, and I’ve been all over AK46 since I joined the site (with good reason).

I realize that Andrei and Pouliot have been disappointments at times this year.  However, there is nobody in the system to replace them right now.  I may be alone on this point, but I’d bring them both back next year ( one year deals) as long as they don’t ask for the moon and the stars.

49. krob1000 says:

well I know….let’s offer Shero Gorges and Hammer and Markov for Fleury, Crosby and Cooke…thenwe’ll throw in 25 million dollars and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick….you think they’ll do it? they should because of last years playoffs you know….

50. oshawahabsfan says:

I remember yelling out loud a few times during the course of the game last night “where’s the finish!” They’re generating the chances only to sh!t the bed on the last touch, it’s happened numerous times a game recently, which is why they’ve lost as much as they have

51. savethepuck says:

Gorges is a warrior.  Surprised to hear he’s been playing with that for 7 years.  Constantly tried getting on here last night with no success ( probably a good thing cuz I had too many pops celebrating the win).  Last nights W was huge, I’m sure someone here has probably mentioned that if we beat Boston Saturday night, we are back in third place ( a big high five to Jose Theodore for helping us last night with a solid performance in Boston, definitely not the first time he’s done that there).  That is how this team wins hockey games, low scoring and close.  All the people here bitching earlier in the year about how much our pp sucked and about Gomez’s lack of production all while we were top 5 in the NHL, get over it.  Our PP was great and Gomer was producing over a point a game during our losing streak.  I prefer the W’s to harping about things while we are winning hockey games.  I don’t mind being the new New Jersey as long as we are winning.  That game will do a lot for Carey’s confidence, wasn’t playing bad of late, but also wasn’t the same as he was in the fall, think he was starting to have confidence issues and that’s where your focus stems from.

BTW, where’s Shaker who has always said how terrible Pricey is on breakaways and hoped we never got in a shootout? Our first one last night and even sans Syd, stopping 4 of 4 Penguins is pretty impressive.

52. light_n_tasty says:

Yah, Crosby and Fleury really helped them out in last year’s playoffs.

53. oshawahabsfan says:

Here’s to a speedy recovery Gorges. Don’t pull a Markov though!

54. krob1000 says:

Was it in a stolen purse? ….and was there a Belarussian guy running up the bus and yelling as it was leaving the stop? I think it was the work of a very sophisticated group one that would need the likes of AK and HAmmer to lead the way.  Koivu was no leader he couldn’t have pulled it off.  If I remember correctly the other members of that ACL heist gone wrong were all allegeldly paperbagging it on the bus too ..they were bad for each other but now Higgy and Chips are diff’t sides of the US…and I heard Higgy’s half Italian brother Dagger is somewhere in the Midwest…but he was just a follower anyway.

55. LA Loyalist says:

I think the significance of last night is that our Habs worked very hard.

If they had been working this hard the last 6 weeks we would be in much better shape to handle this injuries in terms of more points in the bank.

That’s the point.

56. gloveside says:

We’ll trade a 2nd pick for a couple of months of Dom Moore but can’t come up with better than the Stars offer of a 3rd for Langenbrunner? WTF? Why would we possibly need a guts guy like that?

57. rocketsglare says:

The problem IMO is not JM’s discipline oriented, D first system that some feel is stiffling our scorers, but that

our scorers are just not burying their chances. The team last night had golden opportunities to score and yet,

the shots either sailed high or wide or simply never arrived on the stick of the waiting player. The 5 on 3 PP is

a case in point. The effort was there, but not the result. What I am saying is that the system is setting up for

most of our players scoring chances that for what ever reasons are not being burried. Chalk it up to bad luck

or fate, but the team is getting chances to score. As long as the team continues to work hard and play hard,

the scoring chances will continue to come with the law of averages at some point braking in favor of our sco-

res. The worst thing that can happen is for the team to panic and make a hasty roster move that could impact

the team for years.

58. krob1000 says:

Yes we are depleted too…but the point or so I took it anyway was that our team is what it is…Gorges and Markov are not coming back….yes Hammer wil be but Crosby,Fleury, Cooke  vs Hammer,etc.  So ….true, both teams were depleted but the road to the cup goes through Pittsburgh in all likelihood…so what are we going to do to improve our team from last night…they are going to add the best player in the game, an effective agitator that we don’t have and their number one goalie….we will add Hammer…..see the diff? sure they may have worded it differently…but Gorges and Markov are no longer losses…for the rest of this year for all intents and purposes…they simply don’t exist for us.

Two points is two points but realism is welcome too.  We need some fixing…in a lot of areas….we have most of the personnel within…they just have to play together and have their roles redefined but we neeed help front scoring…I am not as concerned as most defensively…I think our forwards are defensively aware enough to help the d and our goaltending is good enought that our main obstacle will still be scoring.

59. SmartDog says:

Dang!  I found this ACL on the bus in 2003 and had no idea who to return it to!

If only he had spoken up sooner….

——-

60. Mattyleg says:

I guess some people just don’t like to be happy.

They played against us, missing 3 of our top 4 defensemen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. LA Loyalist says:

I wasn’t crazy about framing the discussion in those terms, but obviously in this forum we work in a notational form.

But the analogy of fans to shareholders in a public company I think is sound and a useful way to look at authority and accountability, that’s all.