Gorges, Darche elaborate on latest in labour stalemate

Gorges

Habs defenceman Josh Gorges

AUDIO: Brandon Prust | Colby Armstrong | Full NHLPA teleconference

Canadiens’ defenceman Josh Gorges and former Habs forward Mathieu Darche were on a 25-minute NHLPA teleconference Monday afternoon to put some flesh on the bones of the union’s latest moves to get CBA talks moving with the NHL, stalled since last week with a Sept. 15 deadline for a lockout looming.

In summary, Gorges said the players want to play, and he said there’s nothing to prevent that from happening even should the union and the league not have a new CBA in place by Saturday.

Nothing Earth-shattering in the 25-minute teleconference, but Gorges said the NHLPA’s possible involvement of the Quebec Labour Board, hoping the body would rule a lockout of Canadiens players illegal in Quebec, is not being done to get the Habs their paycheques. Rather, it’s a bid to jumpstart stalled talks with the NHL.

Gorges said he believes that Canadiens coaches would go along with a favourable ruling from the QLB, if one came, and work on ice with the team in training. That’s not even on the horizon for now, however, with an NHL board of governors meeting scheduled in New York this week and two meetings of different NHLPA groups in the same city.

1. PrimeTime says:

An associate of mine who sis in law is friends with an exec for Sens (I know – sounds like a stretch) says the NHL owners plan to start up in January. Take it for what it’s worth….which isn’t much. But if you believe, the owners have a plan. Hell, they aint stupid…..they know a profit-loss projection.

• pmaraw says:

i dont know any gm or friends of gm’s or hookers that maybe banged a dude pretending to be a gm, but some dude at work told me that some radio frequency bounced off a satellite from an ipad in the joe louis arena to his black berry. supposedly it was some kind of a recording saying something about santa and bettman and the saskatchewan dogsleders which will be the new phoenix team so based off that, i say, hockey for christmas! not that starting the regular season after everyones favourite jr tournament is a smart idea either…. but let’s not debate that as i hear you are a master debater

2. PrimeTime says:

For those who grew up in the Roy era, I feel bad for you. The NHL has always been been controlled by the Owners, don’t believe it will ever be different…..actually the PA progressiveness (is that a word?) Has caused league disruptions. I don’t expect the PA to back down but the league isn’t as good as it once was. It used to be about a sport…..now it’s all about equity. I won’t debate if that is good or not, but I know the NHL pretty much sucks compared to pre equal lawyers.

• Hobie Hansen says:

“For those who grew up in the Roy era, I feel bad for you.”

How could you possibly feel bad for someone who grew up in the Roy era? Roy personally delivered two Stanley cups to the fans in that era, myself included.

I was an 18-year-old dancing in the streets of Montreal the night the Habs won the cup in 1993, all thanks to Patrick Roy.

After Wayne Gretzy and Mario Lemieux, Roy was the best superstar of that era. He literally won games and series by himself.

Some laughed at me the other day on here when I said that if Roy didn’t bolt because of that idiot Mario Tremblay that we’d have had another shot at a cup in the late 1990s or early 2000.

If Jaro Halak can lead a defense anchored by Jaro Spacek, Roman Hamerlik, PK Subban, Josh Gorges and Hall Gill to the semi finals than Roy could have led a Junior B to another cup.

I’m in my mid 30s now and with 30 teams in the NHL there is a REAL possibility Montreal might not win another cup in my lifetime.

I owe a lot to Roy because he gave me what fans my age or younger in Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Ottawa have never experienced; a Stanley Cup!

Roy rules!

• The Cat says:

I think Roy winning the cup was a greater feat than Gretzky and Lemieux, those 2 had stacked teams, and like Ive said before, Lemieux could not win anything until Paul Coffey came to town.
        To me Roy is the best “money-player” Ive seen in hockey, and should be considered one of the top 3 habs of all-time also.

3. 44har48 says:

You have all read me saying many times on here, I love this sport. Further, I love the Habs and have enjoyed watching them for over 30 years.

What I think these clowns don’t seem to understand is that most people don’t even know there is an NHL impasse or impending lockout. And those folks, who are the majority, won’t know until they ask “who won the cup this year” next July.

2004 did not help this, and this nonsense is not going to either…

4. DorvalTony says:

Hall of Famers both.

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

5. JohnBellyful says:

I was speaking to my good friend, Milt Dunno, the other night and he made a good point while I was inserting a miniature bottle inside a small replica of a ship. He said we fans — or was it wee fans? — anyway he said everyone was being small-minded moaning and groaning about millionaires and billionaires acting like aire-heads in this contract dispute and threatening to deprive us of our hockey this winter, as if we’ll be the only ones affected by it all. He reminded me about all the little people who will be hurt by a lockout, the forgotten folks whose livelihoods depend on hockey being played, unemployable guys like PJ Stock and Mike Milbury, and senior citizens like Bob Cole and Don Cherry who must get by on fixed incomes, and the mentally unhinged, like Jack Edwards, who relies on fixed outcomes.
    What’s to happen to them? he asked, and I’m ashamed to say I didn’t have an answer.
    Well, at least one that I can repeat here.

6. JayK-47 says:

Damn, the Videotron/Subban signing is going on now and it drew a 1000+ peeps. Gonna head over in 30. If you see a short, fat, black haired guy in a firefighter t-shirt, say “S’up?”

7. ooder says:

saddest part about this lockout is that it did not have to happen.
    the nhl and nhlpa had plenty of time, yet there was no urgency from the side of the NHLPA to get anything done.
    furthermore..there is no healthy business where the employees get 57% of the revenue. Although I don’t think bettman actually was serious with the 43%, both parties know it will settle around 50% a side.
    the NHLPA really needs to understand that getting over 50% of revenue shares is ridiculous, especially since all thier money is guaranteed the second they put pen to paper (unlike football)
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• JF says:

You’re right in saying that the lockout didn’t have to happen. There was plenty of time to reach an agreement had the will been there. But from the beginning, I’ve had the sense that the owners intended the lockout to happen, that the lockout was not a last resort for them but rather their weapon of choice. Last time round, they locked the players out for an entire season, then rammed a deal down the throats of a divided NHLPA. They’re aiming to do the same this time. Their first offer was a declaration of war; and, since then, the two sides have been basically staring each other down. Even now, there seems little will on either side to reach a settlement. This latest move by the players is either a PR move or a desperate gamble, but I doubt it will have much effect. On the other hand, I don’t see the players caving in. Eventually there’ll be a settlement, and it’ll probably be along the lines envisaged by both parties right from the start, with the players accepting somewhere around 50%. The only questions are how much of the season will be lost before this happens, and how the fans will react when hockey eventually returns.

• ooder says:

the real head scratcher is that both parties know how this will end…why drag this out? i feel that the first hockey we will see will be around November or latest January.
        no way is the NHL and NHLPA stupid enough to lose another season
        ——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• JF says:

It’s a head-scratcher all right. There seems no reason why the two sides can’t get into the negotiating room and hammer out a deal. Sit there until it’s done. I think they both know roughly what shape the deal is going to take. Why are they all so ready to sacrifice all or part of the season? The players want to play, the owners want to make money. Why can’t they just get on with it?

• Jim Edson says:

The real head scratcher is where was all this player impetus to start negotiations 365 days ago?

Instead of having Donald Fehr’s mobile love-ins, the players should have been bargaining so there was sufficient time to go through all the permutations and combinations to everyone’s satisfaction!

———————————————————————-
            What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• Jim Edson says:

Any business healthy or otherwise cannot exist with a profit and loss statement showing people costs at 57% of revenue minimum.

Particularly when the player cost is locked in beyond the point of being able to perform at expected levels.

It doesn’t work! ie. Scott Gomez!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

8. shiram says:

Gorges, Cole and the 2 Habs fan are all pouty. Everyone’s so depressed.

• Maxwell Smart says:

This according to CBS sports fantasy hockey website. Take it for what is worth as the site is usually garbage for information for hockey.

P.K. Subban, D MON

News: P.K. Subban is close to agreeing to a three-year, $12 million deal with the Canadiens, sportsnet.ca reports.

Analysis: The deal is in the final stages of being completed as the Canadiens work to lock up the 23-year-old defenseman before the old collective bargaining agreement expires Sept. 15. It was suggested earlier that P.K. Subban was pursuing a five-year deal, but it appears he may have changed his stance. He has recorded 76 points in his two full seasons with the team

9. Burkie is not at all happy about ESPN’s opinion of the Leafs:
    “I don’t think ESPN knows a single thing about hockey. I think their hockey coverage stinks. I don’t think they know anything about Canada. I don’t think they know anything about hockey.”
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

Pathetic act of desperation on the part of the NHLPA. Dudes don’t make me start siding with ownership. That being said, I issue a stern warning to both sides. This is 3 lock-outs in 20 years where there was never one prior. As a hockey fan of 40 years I am unequivocally stating that if there is another work stoppage this season, when NHL hockey does come back I won’t be. I am hoping many more fans do the same. I won’t buy merchandize. I’ll check out NHL sponsors and boycott them. I won’t buy tickets to games either. I will however still support Canadian hockey at every level. The NHL is sucking any ways and has been in steady entetainment decline since Sun Belt became a catch phrase. Get this done fast dummies. A collective yawn and sigh is your biggest enemy.

• HabFab says:

RDS HD is standard in your cable package…non?

• Jim Edson says:

Desperation or cracks in the solidarity?

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

11. HabFab says:

Interesting comparisons on Revenues for the Major Leagues;

NFL – $9 BL / 32 teams
    MLB – $7+ BL / 30 teams
    NBA – $3.3 BL / 30 teams
    NHL – $3.3 BL / 30 teams

• commandant says:

Thats “Hockey Related Revenue” – which means its a narrow definition of the leagues actual revenues, and has been reduced somewhat by expenses already. The league actually had revenue closer to 3.7 billion if we take into account everything they brought in.

Same is true of the other sports as wll…. they all seem to want to define revenue in their CBAs as something different than what a traditional accountant would define revenue as.

In that each CBA is different, we are also comparing apples to bananas to oranges here.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

And let’s not forget their disputing the HRR concerning revenues off the ice as well. There’s so much posturing and window dressing that a typical fan can’t begin to fathom the financials.
        I’m so fed up of all this B.S.
        I just want to sit in my recliner next to my two amigos, and watch a Habs game.
        That’s all I want.
        That and a Guinness on the arm rest.

• HabFab says:

Baseball is very secretive of their Revenues and no, I’m comparing dollar to dollar. The apples and oranges come later.
        As for HRR, would it be another 12%? That is hard to say.

12. Mavid says:

if there is no hockey soon..it won’t be pretty..I may go insane and I plan to take a few people with me

13. slamtherimtim says:

Gorges and Darche two ponds in betman and fehr’s game of chess , but i thought Darche was a FA , so how can he do this and george thinks MT will be there giving him lessons while the other team are golfing , what a joke , i’m rollin another

14. Mr. Biter says:

So lets go to the deal Fehr got for baseball. A joke of a salary cap, teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can spend as much as they want for players (this site would expolde if the Flyers ofered P.K. $8Mil. per season for 8 years or more) or go back to the old days where NHL teams could spend as much as they wanted on players.I remember all Canadian clubs crying because the “small market teams” could not afford to pay high salaries”). Unfortunatly the owners need someone to sve themselves from themselves and Bettman (love him, hate him) is it.Unfortunatly it’s going to be a while before we see hockey as Bettman-Fehr = no hockey.No salary cap Calgary, Edmonton,Ottawa (don’t even think of a team in Quebec city) are all toast. Most of U.S. owners have deeper pockets or won’t ice competitive teams.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

15. JayK-47 says:

I got up at 1pm so I’m up for the night (I usually work nights or 24′s). So, does anyone know a Gamespot or EB Games (or any shoppe) selling NHL 13 tonight?

16. BrianSkrudland says:

Anyone watching the US Open Men’s Final? Djokovic is normally an absolute machine, but seems a bit off tonight. I’m not used to seeing him look so vulnerable.

Murray has been given opportunities to make him pay in this third set, but Djokovic keeps hanging around. I wouldn’t put it past Djokovic to rally and push this thing as far as a fifth set.

• JF says:

I don’t think there’s any other player who could come back from two sets down when he lost those sets the way Djokovic did – the first in a tight tie-break, the second after rallying from a double break down. This might be the best tennis match I’ve ever seen.

17. HabFab says:

Abe Hefter ‏@hefteronthehabs;
    Do both sides think that fans r buying ANY of the snake oil they’re trying to sell us? Oh wait. They could care less about fans.

Instead of fruitful discussion, we are getting nothing but rhetoric. Both the owners and players should be ashamed of themselves.

Instead of having 2 sides willing to sit down & hammer out the issues, (Oxymoron alert:) “labour talks” have become a gong show.

18. commandant says:

Interesting from a legal perspective to see what happens here and in Alberta. Those would be three powerful voices at the owners table if they are paying players with no games to bring in money.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

Smart lawyer moves but still just PR crap in my books. I’m not impressed.

• punkster says:

Agree…a dance and nothing more.

Neither side is seriously negotiating so diversionary tactics can be expected…and there really is no other purpose to this move.

I mean seriously, what do they expect to accomplish with this…division within the ownership group?…not gonna happen.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFab says:

In fact I had a momentary flash of pro-owners feeling…or it could have been indigestion from the roast beef. Whatever it was has passed.

• punkster says:

The whole thing has me as worried as the PK signing…as in not.

As a friend of mine said recently, let me try to be less concerned…um, uhhh, agggkkkk…nope, not happening.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

19. Habfan10912 says:

Thank you for posting Dave. I guess Darche was there to speak to the French media. His English answer made him sound like an American Politician Just spat out talking points. “Its the owners locking US out”. We knew that. The question was what are the players doing to move the conversation forward. Maybe it’s my anti Darche bias showing.
    Josh on the other hand came across as genuine and authentic in his responded. I’fe avoided chiding sides between billionaires or millionaires here and will continue to do so. I just root for anything that will drive the two sides to an agreement.

———————————–

• The Cat says:

I always side with the players, if the owners cant run their businesses, it aint the players’ responsibility. Its not like theyre putting guns to the owners’ heads when signing contracts.

• “I always side with the players.”

Ditto that, X 1000.

The owners have been in some sort of collusion to keep player salaries down since they imposed a $5,000 salary cap for the 1910-11 season.

If there is a lockout, here is an intersting idea for a fan. Go to your local library and ask them to get books such as Net Worth, Gross Misconduct, The Power of Two and any other they can find on NHL labour relations. It’s an eye opener.

• Habfan10912 says:

I understand Cat. I guess the point I was trying to make was I don’t care who or how it happens as long as a settlement is reached and quickly. Cheers bud.

———————————–

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Count me in with the players on this one also.
        Viva La Revolucion!

20. RGM says:

Thanks Dave!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

21. pmaraw says:

great post :) i dont really get whats to feel bad about tho in regards to the patrick roy era