Gorges, Cole not impressed with NHL’s latest tactic

joshweb

The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reports that Canadiens players Josh Gorges and Erik Cole weren’t impressed with the NHL’s latest labour tactic as news surfaced Tuesday that team owners and general managers were given a 48-hour window last week to speak with players about the league’s latest contract offer.

“I’m really not sure what the (NHL’s) goal was,” Gorges, the Habs’ newly elected NHL Players’ Association representative, told Stubbs. “I don’t know if it was to try to get GMs or whomever to call players to sway opinion about the league’s (bargaining) stance, or almost to lean on players. A lot of times, it’s tough for players to stand up to their GM and speak out against him.”

Said Cole: “Had they phoned me, I’d have declined to take their call. They could have left a message and maybe I’d have gotten back to them. I see this as the league trying to undermine our union and (executive director) Don Fehr.”

Stubbs reports it doesn’t seem that either Canadiens majority owner Geoff Molson or general manager Marc Bergevin took advantage of the NHL’s strictly outlined opportunity to speak with players.

You can read Stubbs’s column by clicking here.

You can read more on the owners’ latest tactic by clicking here.

(Photo by Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)

1. DorvalTony says:

Poor Little Millionaires.

2. B says:

The teams are not calling up players, it is the other way around. The players have been the ones contacting teams and asking questions about the latest proposal from the league. The league subsequently gave the teams a “limited window in which to respond to those inquiries” along with some prudent guidelines on what not to discuss.

Gorges is once again misrepresenting the situation in the media. He does the same thing every time he cries to the media spewing the PA rhetoric about how the players have been so screwed over by the last CBA. Is there anyone else out there besides the NHL who would offer to pay $23.4M in salary for 6 years of Gorges service? Screwed over my a$$! I like and respect Gorges as a player, but I shake my head when ever he repeatedly spews questionable rhetoric.

Cole is no better. He says they are “trying to undermine our union and (executive director) Don Fehr” by trying to call him, even though he admits they have not called him. I shook my head at his outrage and refusal to take non existent calls from the Habs during this negotiation.

I don’t think such rhetoric and posturing from either side helps the process along in any way.

3. habsnyc says:

When a 30 goal scorer signs a $98 million contract, one might question whether reasonable people expect the full amount of that contract to be honored. To me, the 2012 summer contracts were inflated ahead of what owners believed would be a rollback. Clearly, the players are not taking that view. The league erred in allowing these contracts ahead of a labor dispute.

Someone recently wrote that Fehr, who allowed a World Series to be cancelled, did not come out of retirement to lose a negotiation. The thought process was that the NHLPA wanted the most hardline leader available and sacked their prior head who had a strong working relationship with the NHL.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

4. Marc10 says:

I guess we’re down to two things now.

1) HRR – what is the definition?
    2) honouring contracts

If they find a way to nuke a season over these things, they should be labelled insane and institutionalised.

5. Dark Canuck says:

These guys should just shut their mouths comments like this are not gaining them any fans!

• joeybarrie says:

Kind of hard to keep your mouth shut when 10 times a day everybody is asking (begging) them to give an opinion and comment.
      Its kind of the type of stuff that keeps this site going while there is no hockey.
      Personally i dont see anything wrong with what they said, why shouldnt they comment?
      Does anyone else think they are losing fans with these comments?

• Mustang says:

I think that the players have a right to an opinion just like anyone else. They did not say anything rediculous so I don’t know why you would want them to “shut their mouths”. The only difference is that a reporter has a microphone in front of them when they give their opinion.

I do believe that both the NHL and the NHLPA are in this to WIN the battle, no matter what the cost nor how much they alienate the fans.

6. downeast hab says:

Why isnt there a proposal put on the table so the union membership could vote on it. I think if that happened then you would see hockey right away. look whos standing behind Fehr all the time, players that are high end and the trench players not.

• habsnyc says:

at this point, the players would vote unanimously against a proposal not ratified by their leadership. what makes you think otherwise?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

7. Boomer says:

Was reading up on Craig button’s draft chat with fans, here’s a sample.

Comment From MarcMarc: ]
    I’m a Habs fan who is excited that we have three picks in round 2 in this loaded draft…should I be excited? It seems clear that there will be lots of quality players available come round 2

Thursday October 18, 2012 12:51 Marc
    12:57 Craig Button: You should always be excited with three 2nd round picks but especially so in a deep draft. I think there are so many players who have good NHL potential that will be available in the 2nd round because of the depth. For Habs’ fans, the 2nd round has been a boon over the years. PK Subban, Mats Naslund, Chris Chelios, Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer, John Leclair, Eric Desjardins, Patrice Brisebois, Jose Theodore to name a few ‘gems.’

It was an interesting read. He gives his opinion on a lot of solid players. Some we know of and some that are a bit under the radar. Anyways, Tsn Draft center for those interested.

Cody Hodgson just scored to give Rochester lead again.

Good news, found a link.

9. HabInToronto says:

Bournival has his first goal

10. Bripro says:

Nice to see 24 cups back. It’s been a while, or a case of bad timing.

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

11. Bripro says:

Did you guys see how much Cole shrank in that picture with Gorges?
    When he said he had an earlier lower body injury, he wasn’t kidding.

*********************************************

12. HabFab says:

Nattinen and Ellis are playing their first game tonight for the Dogs.

13. frontenac1 says:

Georges and Cole are two of the most honest,stand up guys on and off the ice.
    Proud to have them wearing the CH. Screw Bettman

• Bripro says:

Here here, amigo!

*********************************************

14. Mark C says:

Here is video of Collberg’s goal today, found at about the 45 second mark. He does a nice job of losing his check, and getting open to receive the pass in the slot.

15. Ron says:

And just what did you expect player reps to answer your questions with ? Wish they would call us.

I do think it is encouraging that there has been no evidence of the Habs Ownership/Mgmt doing these calls. Also, no Montreal players have ever directed comments towards the Molson ownership rather the NHL Owners as a whole.

I do believe the players on the Habs realize/hope that the current protocol of the NHL is not necessarily an approach Geoff Molson enjoys or prefers.

• Ron says:

I honestly believe that Habs players actually respect the Molsons and MB enough to not trash them in the slightest way publicly. Now Bettman is another story.

• showey47 says:

I agree,i also think the players realize molson is one of the owners who would rather be playing right now cause he knows what this team means to the fans. Also, no matter how bad the current system is flawed,molson was making money quicker then he can count it. IMHO the owners who were actually making money would have been more then happy to continue playing while negotiating a new cba. The only teams this benefits is the teams the don’t make money cause they don’t have to pay anybody,pretty much the ones bettman awarded to crappy markets or in a case like phoenix,relocated.

• commandant says:

I agree Burly, I do like that our management decided to steer clear of the murky ethical area this is.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• frontenac1 says:

I always felt Geoff Molson was a Hockey guy that understands that Hockey is more than just a business.

• Bripro says:

I agree. The Molson family has always held the Canadiens organization close to its heart. His taking ownership of the team is a great thing, IMO.

*********************************************

Here is an article from Bulldogs website on Tinordi.

And here is a link I think will work when puck drops for Rochester versus Hamilton. Link didn’t work, sorry.

First! Hey, it’s the little kid in me. Just couldn’t resist.

18. joeybarrie says:

While the end result is the same, I think they are mostly concerned with the idea of a signed contract.
    If they were expected to adhere and meet their end of the contract, why shouldnt they hold the owners responsible for the same?
    I think its insane that an owner would sign a 100 million dollar contract one day, come out and say it was a great move, then try to renege and get some of the money back the FIRST opportunity they have.
    Where do you draw the line?
    It should be on contracts moving forward, not renegotiating the curent ones.
    If the owners cant live with the contracts they SIGNED, its their own STUPID fault…. WHY DID THEY SIGN THEN??????
    There is a reason the saying is HONOR the contract.
    We all look back at players like Richards (all of them), Beliveau, etc, etc… Their initial agreement could have been written on a calendar page the size of a post-it note.
    An agreement is an agreement. Its absolute crap they are trying to wriggle out as much as they can, cause apparently their contracts they agreed to in the first place no longer is working for them. WELL ITS YOUR OWN FAULT.

19. habsnyc says:

bceause there was a recent precedent of contract rollbacks as a concession to resolve a labor dispute. The framework for the contracts is the bargaining agreement between the union and the owners. the contracts themselves are not in dispute. the bargaining agreement expired and a defacto outcome sought by owners under a new agreement would be lower salaries.

The contract is only meaningful with a CBA. Without a CBA, the contracts were signed subject to possible future modification pending a new bargaining agreement. The players, agents and owners were all aware of this. It is ridiculous for players to claim ignorance, especially after they demanded massive signing bonuses.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.