Goodbye, Columbus … and hello, Tampa Bay

Ruefrontenac.com reports Guy Boucher has taken the head coaching job with the Lightning.

At 38, Boucher becomes the youngest coach in the NHL – and possibly the best-educated..

Earlier today, the Columbus Post-Dispatch reported Boucher had turned down an offer to coach the Blue Jackets.

“Montreal”, posting on the Post-Dispatch story, says Columbus turned down two requests by Boucher: “bringing
with him his coaching staff and having carte blanche on ‘hockey’
decisions”.

Martin Leclerc’s exclusive story at ruefrontenac.com reports Boucher’s assistants, Martin Raymond et Daniel Lacroix, will accompany him to Florida.

There’s a McGill connection to all of this.

Tampa Bay general manager Steve Yzerman worked with Mike Babcock in Detroit.

Babcock is a McGill grad and played for the Redmen, as did Boucher.

Raymond was Boucher’s teammate at McGill and coached the Redmen for 12 years before joining Boucher in Hamilton this season.

At the Canadiens development camp last week, Boucher said he was keeping his options open.

It seems those options included at least two two NHL offers.

Boone and Basu on Boucher

• Pat Hickey on Louis Leblanc

•  •  •

Happy birthday, Mike Cammalleri.

28 today.

1. punkster says:

Yes, I suppose I did, in a round about way. Tit for Tat. Whatever. Night-night. Ta-ta for now.

FREE TIMO!

2. Chris says:

Hard to say that they are worse…pretty much equally annoying, as far as I can tell.

Only thing more annoying are those cynical stats geeks…oh wait…that’s me!  🙂

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Aside from the fact that he scouted out and planned against the Capitals and Penguins, organized the special teams while managing the personnel? Yes I’ve always felt he’s very 1-dimensional… I’ve always been in favour of Muller on the staff but I just don’t think doing the job he has done the last 4 years it would be a good transition to being head coach. He has relationships with all of those players based on the position he works in, the minute he’s the head coach, that all changes and it’s a challenge for both him and the players to adjust. I say again, it is rare assistant coachs become head coachs in the same organization. Look around the league.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I know you are but what am I?

I call it the ad HIOminem argument.

6. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m not talking about wrong or right, your opinion may be right or it may be wrong, same goes for my opinion on the subject,  I just don’t like having to argue a point over and over again when in the end it’s just one persons opinion.

7. _Habsoloutly_ says:

You haven’t added anything relevant, and you slagged me, I guess that means you’re a hypocrite.  Timo supporter,  that explains a lot about how usefull you are.  Sod off.

8. punkster says:

That’s the ticket. If you can’t add something relevant…slag the others! At least they’re not over-the-hill, set-in-their-ways, can’t-see-any-opinion-but-their-own, they’re-right-because-they’re-older, old farts. They’re even worse than young’uns.

FREE TIMO!

9. SeriousFan09 says:

26 actually and if I knew everything, I wouldn’t be hanging around here I’d be scouting for the Montreal Canadiens. If I was never wrong, Price would have been the starting goalie in nets, Kostitsyns would have had a bounce-back season and Moore would’ve been a non-factor in the playoffs.

I’m capable of admitting fault, but I just don’t see Muller moving up in the organization to take over head coach of the Canadiens. It’s nothing against Muller but for a person in his particular position, being the player’s coach and having no previous head coaching experience I just don’t think he seems like the man to take over the bench.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

He who smelled it dealt it.

11. TommyB says:

Your comment regarding Martin and consistency is something that can’t be judged in a single season.  I have the same doubts as you, but we will need at least one more year, or a good part of it, to be able to assess the consistency of Martin as coach of this team.  The word “patience” does not sit well with many Habs fans.  I get a bit antsy too, at times.

I give most of the credit to the players for their efforts in this year’s playoffs, and as you say, Halak’s heriocs.  Coaching played a role as well, but a smaller role perhaps.

12. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I wouldn’t even bother wasting your time debating with these two, they’re part of the “we’re 22 year olds that know everything and are never wrong” clique that hangs out here daily on H I/O.

13. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Muller will be a head coach in the NHL, mark my words.  If the habs step over him for Boucher it will be a mistake.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

The AHL is a professional league, so Boucher has spent a year coaching paid professionals already and who play for two different reasons. The young men who play to make the NHL and the elder players who are playing for their living as they know they’re AHL men. Boucher’s meeting the challenges so far of being a pro level coach and even exceeding expectations, which is why i consider him a very viable candidate to take over the Montreal bench.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Paid his dues? I’m sorry I didn’t know the Montreal Canadiens was a union gig. If Boucher is the more intelligent, talented and able candidate than it is well within the rights of the organization to make him the head coach of the Canadiens. Boucher has recieved great praise for his excellent results, a League championship last year in the Q, this year he led a depleted Bulldogs squad that the Canadiens often tapped for injury replacement to the 2nd-best record in the AHL with numerous team records broken and a Conference Final in the AHL Playoffs. I don’t know if he’s a Scotty Bowman, but I do know he continues to produce results consistently.

Muller’s yet to be the head coach of any pro-level hockey team and he has to go from being the player’s coach to the head coach, a very different role with a whole different set of responsibilites to go with it. Offering him Hamilton is his shot to coach at a pro level and see if he can perform the duties required there.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Muller is lighter but Boucher tastes better.

17. mrhabby says:

a disgrace…….ah disagree. i don’t see anybody walking over Kirk..best thing to do is leave it as status quo ..one more year of experience for both in same position.

SlimyDog. I am saying nothing you suggest. There doesn’t need to be a chasm. Only that a head coach job at Hamilton is not a demotion. A demotion involves a lower salary and if that’s what he gets then I would have to agree. If it’s part of a bigger plan as in development, gaining experience, etc than not.

I will say this though that no two people’s path need to be the same to get to the same destination. If Muller is asked to go to Hamilton it would have to be with a reason. The Habs on the other hand know that Muller could still be courted by NJ as head coach or other teams.

19. terrygain says:

If what you say about Boucher is true (and I tend to agree with you) how on earth is he going to work with anyone as dumb as JM? I hope he stays in Hamilton so Martin doesn’t take him down with him.  The head coaching job in Montreal will be open during the 2010/2011 season.

20. _Habsoloutly_ says:

If the Habs demote Kirk to the Bulldogs and bring Boucher in to take his place I consider that walking over him.  He should be the next in line to take over the habs coaching duties, he has paid his dues and proven himself in the NHL.  Boucher hasn’t done squat in the NHL, yet all the media and fans on this site talk about the guy like he is the next Scotty Bowman,  it’s laughable.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Boucher has coached a bench at the pro level for a year, which is 1 more year than Muller has on his resume. There is a difference between being an assistant coach and being a head coach and it’s notable. What does a pro hockey player’s career experience have to do with
    coaching anyway? How well did that work out for Gretzky?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. J.T. says:

Tommy, I wonder how much of the Habs success this spring had anything at all to do with the coaching?  Most competent coaches, looking at video, would likely have come up with a “keep them to the outside and block shots like crazy” plan, or some variant of it, considering the pieces available on the Habs roster.  I honestly think this year’s playoff had more to do with the willingness of the guys to execute the plan, including taking a lot of physical abuse to do so than any brilliant coaching.  Then, of course, there were Halak’s heroics.   Without Hal Gill and Josh Gorges blocking dozens of shots, Cammalleri catching fire and Halak standing on his head, Muller, Martin and all the rest of them are just another bunch of unsatisfactory coaches bringing unsatisfactory results.  The matter is up for debate as to whether the players were willing to buy into the plan because Martin and/or Muller inspired them to do so, or simply because they’re proud players who wanted to do whatever they could to win.  It’s not a knock on Martin.  He and his staff did, after all, make the plan.  The players made it work.

The one thing I keep hearing about Boucher that gives me hope if he’s to become the Habs’ next coach…again, big IF…is he consistently makes his players willing to work for him.  He gets to know them, he respects them as people and he works within their strengths.  In that regard, a coach who’s able to get performances out of his team like the ones we saw out of our Habs this spring, on a consistent basis, would be very welcome.  Is that likely to happen with Martin?  His previous experience in Ottawa and Florida would suggest not, but then maybe he just didn’t have the right players.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Who’s walking over Muller? He was praised non-stop for the entire playoffs. He’s been credited with running our highly efficient special teams for several seasons. There is talk he’ll be getting head coaching offers around the league.

I like Muller, his role as the assistant coach handling special teams and being the player coach has been great for Montreal, but I also acknowledge that the player coach is usually not the best guy to take over the head coaching role. It’s an entirely different dynamic between the players and the coach and the relationship Muller has with the players now is one he couldn’t continue as the head coach. Assistant coachs do not generally take over head coaching positions of the teams they are involved with. When’s the last time an assistant got bumped to head coach on a long term basis in the NHL for the same club?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. notbigbird says:

GB has a lot more head coaching experience though.

Having said that, I think Muller will be a good coach somewhere. Becoming the head coach in Hamilton might possibly speed his journey.

25. SmartDog says:

I guy like Boucher knows that he needs the right tools, the right siutation to do things his way. If the other reports are true, he wanted control and they wouldn’t give it.  And maybe he’s going to get taht control in Montreal.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

26. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Exactly, it’s a disgrace how the fans and media have walked right over Kirk and his acomplishments.  Sad how we eat our own in Montreal.

Is there anything that you do understand. Let me draw it in crayon for you.

Today Muller is an assistant head coach, albeit in the NHL. If he goes to Hamilton, he’ll be a head coach, thus it’s a step in the right direction to becoming an NHL head coach as he has no experience as a head coach at any level. So it’s neither a demotion nor a slap.

28. TommyB says:

I was never excited about JM becoming the coach in Montreal, and I was never among the anti-Carbo group.  That being said, you can’t overlook the success of the Habs this spring under Martin’s command.  There are some bloggers who will have you believe that Muller was the guy running the show, and no doubt he had much input, but I don’t believe anything Muller did or said trumped Martin’s ideas and strategy.  Assistants are there for their input.  They are not there just to distribute pucks during practice.  Assistants are there to complete a coaching staff, and that is exactly what Muller did.  Muller is a valuable piece, but still an underling.

In Muller and in Boucher, the Habs have the prospect of a bright future…perhaps.  I say perhaps because until either one actually accomplishes something greater, they remain prospects.  And I am happy to see those prospects in the Montreal system.  Jesus Christ SuperStar?  The jury is still out.  And as you say, the pendulum nevers ceases to swing in Montreal when it comes to it’s fans.  And by the same token, the Montreal fans are seldom prepared for when the other shoe drops.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Blackmail on the GM, Owners and Nash and I’m talking first-class dirt.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. ed lopaz says:

Rick Nash – now we’re talking…man, what would it take to get Nash???

hs – I doubt there is any chance that Kovalchuk or Marleau are coming to Montreal.  I expect Kovalchuk to break the bank and I’m also sure that some team will give Marleau a solid deal.  We spent our money last year, so I would expect other teams will be rolling the dice this summer.

32. crabvader says:

This is great news!

33. JIMVINNY says:

Muller needs to change something up in order to get the head job he deserves.  Coaching the Bulldogs will be the test he needs to prove what he’s got.  And I’ll be very happy for him if he finds success with the Bulldogs and receives an NHL offer next year.  I’ll thank him for what he’s done, and hope he succeeds wherever he ends up (except for the nights his team plays the habs).

But Guy Boucher is clearly the next in line for the head coach position with the habs.  He is one of the first of what I think will be the new wave of coaches in the NHL; Educated, intelligent, and empathetic.  He doesn’t go in with a system he’s going to force his players to play, as most coaches do.  Instead, he designs a system around his players abilities.  This alone is enough to achieve success with most teams, but that’s not where it ends; He gets in the players heads, and learns what motivates them, then uses that to the teams advantage.  He is a pioneer in his field, and I think he’s going to be the model for other young coaches going forward.

That, and he might be the first coach for the habs in a long time that achieves any type of success with our prospects.  Because we’ve reaaly struggled in that regard for a while.

34. spos080808 says:

Bc Muller wants a NHL coaching job as does Boucher. So Muller/Boucher will flip jobs…Boucher gets on the Habs bench and gains NHL experience and Muller goes to Hamilton to get experience as a coach…Then in the next year or so Montreal either promotes Boucher or Muller as head coach while Martin goes to the front office. Which ever coach is left out, he will go onto another NHL franchise to be a head coach.

___________________

Timo is the biggest joke & fraud in the history of hockey “fans”

Tommy – It’s hard not to smile at how this is all unfolding.  Last summer, most people thought bringing in the experienced Martin was a good move.  Especially after having the hate on for Carbo (even though the team did no better under Gainey’s command).  Now, even after reaching the final four, Martin still gets little credit (not saying I’m a big fan, but fair is fair).  Some people can’t wait for him to go (fat chance with his contract and connections).

Now Boucher is the new Hab saviour as fans have quickly anointed him as JCSS.  I’m sure he’s a sharp guy but it is funny how the pendulum swings here in Montreal.

Regardless, the coaching job in Columbus might just be a great gig for some coach trying to make his mark.  There are a lot of positive pieces in place that just might quickly transform Columbus  into a playoff team.

36. sidhu says:

Why not have Muller and Boucher as assistants to JM?  (Sorry, Pearn).

37. lavie says:

The title should have been “No sir. Thanks!”

38. spos080808 says:

Many of you need to calm down. This is no different than Claude Julien & Don Lever…99% of Habs thought those 2 would be the next greatest things in coaching when they were with Hamilton and winning.

___________________

Timo is the biggest joke & fraud in the history of hockey “fans”

39. SmartDog says:

As a leader you need good people around you.   I don’t love JM but to get where he is he’s probably smart enought to know that Boucher has talent and you want talent on your team.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

2 different situations of course, but the issues regarding them will also display what kind of commitment they want to throw at the team and if they consider themselves Canadiens. Rick Nash signed a very favourable contract with CBJ over an 8-year term because of his commitment to the team and other players have done the same in recent years. See what happens.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. TommyB says:

This news really kinda floors me.  I never would have expected Boucher to turn down this opportunity.  We can all speculate on why he turned it down.  Maybe the Habs have informed him of some plan, or maybe there are other teams knocking on his door as well.  Or…Boucher is just not like everyone else.  Who knows.  It will be interesting to see what actually does develop over the summer with this story.

But for the time being at least, Boucher is still in the Habs organization.  And that can’t be a bad thing.

42. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I have the greatest respect for Muller. He’s ready to move it up, and he will be a great coach. It’s not that I want him to go because he brings a lot to the spectacle we call the Habs. But he is ready for the next level.

Boucher? I hope McKenzie’s right. I’d like to see him at work, and if he is being groomed to replace Martin, I like the stability and planning that suggests. We’re all guessing and we’re all still spectators, but I’d like to believe there is a methodical reconstruction of our shabby old organization going on. Last summer’s deadwood player cleanout, this Spring’s scouting shake-up, and more… I hope we’ve all learned that we don’t have to settle for Kovalev doing globetrotters’ tricks to be entertained by a guy in a habs sweater. The team remains an unknown quality in many ways, but the off ice organization should be able to do a little more than flashy marketing. Let’s all hope…

43. habs4later says:

SCOT ARNIEL will be named the new Columbus coach.

44. ed lopaz says:

plekanec – Born Oct 31 1982, 27.5 years old

halak- born May 13 1985, just turned 25

2.5 years difference between them.

ok – my error.

but the point was restricted vs unrestricted free agency.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Muller is the “Player’s Coach”, those guys rarely take over the teams they are the assistant coach for, they go from having one kind of relationship with the players to a completely different one and it can be very disruptive.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Plekanec is 27, Halak is 25, that’s a 2 year age difference.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. SmartDog says:

Hey G-man.  You gotta know what you want.  Whether what you’re doing is goofy (like you’re suggesting) or good is entirely about the QUALITY of the list.

I’m not saying Gauthier needs to have brown hair and get along with his mom.  I’m saying he’s gotta properly resolve key issues and make the most of our resources.  I’m saying it up front to keep myself honest. If he does a majority of these things (4 of 7) I’ll have to say he did pretty well.  If he does say 1 or 2, I’ll be able to say clearly that he failed in doing the thigns I thought were important to be done.   And stuff like “decent rate” means that if he signs people at way above going rates (cough-you-know-how-cough), that’s not good resource management.  Like I hope he keeps Halak but not at 6 mil a year.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

48. ed lopaz says:

plekanec and halak are at different stages of their careers.

plekanec is 5 years older, and is unrestricted – he will follow the highest bidder – and I believe the team can not afford what he will get offered on the open market

halak is still young, (relatively speaking) inexperienced and unproven. he will get a short term deal, 2 years at about 4 million.

price, who is much younger still, needs another year to get his feet settled under him.

marleau intrigues me – he is big and fast and scores. he is a significant upgrade to plekanec,

and I would rather have his size and gomez than plekanec and gomez.(who are the same type of player)

49. mrhabby says:

if GB system requires a fast mobile defense one could assume we could see some changes this summer yes or no.

50. TomNickle says:

Turn that 6 upside down and smile!

51. TomNickle says:

You’re right to a certain degree Ed.  I believe we have a roster full of players who would rather win a cup than earn $8 million instead of $5 million.

We are going to find out very soon if Pleks and Halak are in that boat too.

If not, I think we can pursue some players by way of trade and free agency that fit the mold.

Marleau and Kovalchuk may very well fit that mold.

One player who doesn’t, is Andrei Kostitsyn, as is his brother, as is Alex Kovalev.

I personally don’t think that either Halak or Plekanec will be those guys.

I think their respective agents are going to look at cashing in on a weak free agent class.

I think Biron is the perfect fit to backup Price or be our starter and I think that Marleau or Lombardi are great fits to sacrifice numbers for the good of a championship.

52. andrewberkshire says:

Mike, in what world are you dreaming in to think anyone could get Kovalchuk for 6 million?

53. Price_31 says:

YAY! I hope Bob McKenzie’s right!

54. Storm Man says:

6mil will never get Kovalchuk here in Montreal. KHL has put a offer of 14 mil per year to play.

55. alestar says:

Good news, the guy is a keeper, next head coach of the Habs…

XXIV…and counting

56. ed lopaz says:

i see what your saying – but….2 things to consider

1) Kovy is sipping the same vodka that the other kovy sipps – not exactly team oriented, and i really think the leadership on this team will not tolerate selfish type players

2) the bidding war will make it nearly impossible for the habs to prevail.

pure talent, no brainer, kovalchuk is a better player.

but on this team, and realistic chance to sign, i think marleau is a better fit.

what i was trying to impress on you was that marleau needs a change of scenery, and you never know how good a guy like that can become once the specific problems of san jose have been removed.

57. B says:

Good news. Perhaps there is truth to the talk he waits to move until he gets a good chance to succeed? Who knows, it is still good news for the Habs.

58. mike g says:

OK, let me put it this way…

Someone gives you the choice between signing Kovy or Marleau, who do you pick? 50 goals, or 30? Right handed shot or left handed (because we only have 2 right handed shots upfront)?

lol, I think it’s an extreamly easy decision. For the same money, I’ll take the most dynamic UFA since the lockout in a heartbeat…

Trade/Buyout Hammr and AK. Saves us either 8.5 mill or 6.5 mill. Use that to sign Kovy, and find a way to keep Pleks. Immagine a line of Pleks, Kovy and Cammy. Sign Pleks before Kovy though, cuz playing with him will make Pleks an 80+ point centerman. That’s minimum 6 mill these days.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

59. warriorhockey says:

well if Guy Boucher comes up we can say good bye to muller 🙁

60. ed lopaz says:

marleau had a good playoffs this year – 8 goals I believe.

also, some guys take some time, and even a change of team, to perform in the playoffs.

he is big, extremely fast, and I think it would be a very good fit for the habs.

if I was part of the habs brass, I would be looking at marleau very seriously.

i understand your point of view, just think that Gionta and cie might be exactly what the Dr, ordered to take marleau to the next level.

61. G-Man says:

Hey, SD, this, um…list..it’s…well, let’s just say it’s a little too much of the “woman looking for a perfect man list.”

Moving Price for a good return? Very difficult, with most teams goalie rich at cheap rates (Leighton).

This decent rate stuff? What’s that? Getting value for salary spent? As
    such, what do you think a 20 goal scoring net crasher is worth?

Pleks played very well throughout the playoffs, offensively and defensively, as well as Cammy. The culprit on their line offensively was the invisible AK. Pleks is worth the cap hit. He delivers consistent determination and effort.

Why trade Markov? Habs are way better with him than without him.

K bros are problems. GMs trade those, too. Who is a $4.5 mil problem?

Keep Moore at a low rate may work if Habs give him term, like 3-4 seasons. Pyatt will remain cheap for years yet, so no worries there.

62. mike g says:

I used to talk with my friends and on HIO about Eklund rumors a while back, when I 1st discovered him…

But it’s 4 years I go on his site, and he’s just one big joke. I won’t even start saying more on him, or I’ll never end..

But Marleau, no thanks. Never liked him, never will. He’ll give you 30+ goals in 82 games guaranteed, but after that??? I’d rather pay 6 mill per year to Kovalchuk than 6 mill to Marleau. Were comparing a natural scorer, 50 goal threat every year to Marleau.

Easy choice for me…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

63. TorontoHabsFan says:

Yeah, it sure seems like he turned them down without actually turning them down. This way he doesn’t look ungrateful.

64. Don Carnage says:

Well this might be a good thing, He might end up in Edmonton or somewhere else to be continued …

65. hab_skill says:

Was just wasting my time in Hockeybuzz. Ek mentioned Marleau in MTL. I know he doesn’t knowwhat he is talking about but… Good Idea? Also, Eric Engels says that Kirk Muller has been offered the head coaching job in Hamilton. Thoughts?

66. SmartDog says:

That’s AWESOME news.

I hope this means Boucher will end up the Habs coach this year or next.  Last week I posted 7 things that to me will largely decide if Gauthier is a good GM or not.

Boucher is an important one of the 7.  For interest (since it’s a slow news day), here’s the list.  I’m going to keep an eye on it.

**************************

GAUTHIER COULD BE A GREAT GM IF:

He keeps one of Halak/Price for a decent rate for 3-4 years and gets a
    very good return on the other.

2. He bags up a big, net crashing
    top-6 20+ goal scorer that we’ve needed forever – at a decent rate.

He EITHER lands Pleks at about 4.5 mil OR magically strikes a deal to
    shop Gomez out and brings in a big centre, signing Pleks for a little
    more (but still a bargain compared to Gomer).  OR… failing that gets
    SOMETHING worthwhile out of Plkks (which he failed to do at the trade
    deadline – see my sig below… how much did Pleks help us in the
    playoffs? How much COULD we have had?)

4. He manages to KEEP
    BOUCHER one way or another.

5. He either extends Markov’s deal by
    2-3 years for the same or less, OR he trades him for a strong return.

He ships one or preferably both of the Brothers K for a decent retun.
    Both guys are relatively inexpensive with a high potential upside.  The
    right team would be interested.

7. He extends Pyatt and Moore for
    a couple of years at a modest rate.

*********************

GAUTHIER
    SHOULD BE SPELLED GOAT-IER (AND OUR STRUGGLE FOR A GOOD TEAM WILL BE
    EXTENDED) IF:

1. He lets Halak or Price go for very little.

He fails (as Gainey did) to get us this big net-crashing power forward
    we desperately need.

3. He lets Pleks waslk for nothing or almost
    nothing OR signs him at over 5 mil (I love Pleks but we can’t afford
    it).

4. He loses Boucher (and we get to keep JM… uh, yay…..
    not.)

5. He doesn’t do anything with Markov or over-pays (anything
    more than what he is getting now is too much).

6. He keeps the
    Bros K or gets little for them.  They have high potential and are
    budget-friendly. Despite some obvious knocks those two factors mean he
    shoudl get SOMETHING good.

7. He does nothing wiht Moore and Pyatt
    who both played above expecations wehre it counts – in the playoffs.

**********************

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

67. longtimehabsfan says:

Guy Boucher = Fletcher Christian

JM = Captain Bligh  (sp?)

68. longtimehabsfan says:

Doesn’t make sense.  Carte blanche on hockey decisions?  He hasn’t even coached in the NHL yet.

69. Omit says:

You’ve seen Mutiny on the Bounty too many times.

70. habs4later says:

that’s great news.

but if Boucher becomes JM’s assistant can they coexist together?   I mean Boucher’s hockey philosophy is totally the opposite of Jm’s.     I think the players would listen to Boucher in spite of JM.

make him assistant, then JM will be fored for sure next year when the Molson’s realize that the players will only respect and abide by Boucher’s requests.

71. mrhabby says:

love it…great news. maybe geoff molson had a round table discussion and upt the ante to keep GB in the organization. going out on a limp here and maybe he becomes JM ass’t. won’t that be a clash of ideals i bet JM has his knickers in a twist over this after a successful 1st year. posters say let him go to the blue jackets. thats all great and if he is successful he may not come back to montreal…shit happens. this way molson controls his key people.

ps..to bad about columbus..iam crying. scott howson or whatever.

72. TorontoHabsFan says:

If those were his requests it would appear that he didn’t really want the job – I’m pretty sure he expected them to turn down those stipulations.

73. longtimehabsfan says:

Forgot to give kudos to Boone for the Philip Roth reference.

74. lavie says:

I am not surprised. Boucher knows where he can be watched and appreciated.