Good start for Habs I/O

Our October page views were up 150 per cent from last season’s.

Big shout-out to all the fans who are enjoying this site.

See you at Happy Hour.

Pat’s buying.

(Chart courtesy of Gazette marketing wizard David Klimek, the Alex Kovalev of reader research)

1. Jay in PA says:

Hotel de la Montagne is where I stayed last time I went to a game and it was quite nice (especially with the current exchange on the dollar). It was an easy five-minute walk from the arena and, amenity-wise, was on par with most four-star business hotels in my experience. Just make sure to get a room facing the front of the hotel and not the back if you want to get any sleep. My room faced Crescent St. at the back, and the noise was something else.

2. coachdoug says:

Thanks Jay

3. HabFab says:

Read your bio ,am always amazed at the diversity here.Welcome aboard!

4. HabFab says:

Love having you here!

5. HabFab says:

“Unless you bought at $30.” Moi

6. twocents says:

Pig, the Johnson quote is frickin’ hilarious and the quoting of yourself further above is handy advice that I will keep in mind. Of course, I’ve never liked a stock before, but if I ever do…

7. The Capitalist Pig says:

To be fair, the April spike should be adjusted for the fact that the Habs made the playoffs last year. No offense intended, but the econometric technique known as “dummy” variables may be of some use here.

“If you like a stock at $50 you have to like it ten times as much at $5.” Me

8. The Capitalist Pig says:

I’ve seen this crap before. You dudes are just shoppin’ the site. Nice numbers, but you need more advertising space.

“Giving a speech about economics is like pissing in your pants. It may seem hot to you, but it doesn’t to anyone else.” Lyndon B. Johnson

9. Yeats says:

It’s just peachy to know that something I am associated with is up on the year!

10. coachdoug says:

This site is excellent! Off the topic…I had a question for some of the locals… What is a good hotel to stay at by the Bell Center. I am coming in March with my wife and kids from the States to see a game and want to stay within walking distance to the Bell Center. Also I hear there are some good places to eat by the Bell Center any recommendations? Have not been to Montreal since I was a kid and look forward seeing the city again.

11. Kristopher7 says:

sweet, I love this site

12. ryantheduke says:

glad i could help… i freakin’ love you guys.

13. Chorske says:

WHOA, Rufus Sewell and Teemu Selanne. Separated at birth, man.

14. Natrous says:

Off topic, but cool none-the-less:

Masks of the NHL, according to Sports Illustrated.

15. StillattheMapes says:

Explain “page view”. A view = a hit = a visit? A view = an exhange of data = an engagement = a new member = a comment?

I am absolutely sure that this is the very best site about the Habs, but we all know it is not the only one. How do you measure success? Any indicators? Just curious. Don’t worry, there are many digital mavens trying to go figure on this one… and obviously it isn’t about “hits”.

16. G-Man says:

This site is always the place to be thanks to the great staff and all the posters here. Way to go, HIO!

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

17. likehoy says:

terrific find! couldn’t stop laughing for some of these!

18. likehoy says:

off topic but i was thinking statistically the NHL should alter the shot count to “shots”, and “shots on goal”…that way it reflects more clearly of how many chances a team obtains in a game.

for example the habs could fire 30 shots…but only 22 were on goal and 8 of them wide and we scored 3 times…so the goalie would have made 19 saves.

cause a shot off the post or a shot just wide of the net is as much as a scoring chance as a shot on goal depending on where you take it.

blocked shots would still remain as shots not counted.

19. Saratogahabsfan says:

Just a flat out great site. The only place to come for all of the info we need on our beloved Habs. I’m here all the time, but finally got inspired to create an account. Keep up the amazing work!

20. Ed says:

These pictures from Sports Illustrated were linked last year, by Doug, I believe, and I just happened to come across them again today. They are entertainers who SI thinks resemble NHL players. Here are two of the Habs:

Kovalev

Markov. Poor Markov!

I remember someone last year pointing out the one for Ovechkin. It’s funny! The one I dislike is who they picked for Jarome Iginla.

21. HabsColor says:

a bit off topic.

BG should keep our top UFA in MTL:

Saku Koivu $4,750,000

Alexei Kovalev $4,500,000

Michael Komisarek $1,700,000

Alex Tanguay $5,250,000

22. sidhu says:

And it looks like you opened and closed an italics print.. well done

23. Mr.Hazard says:

Makes sense. I think I check this site more often every year. Et je ne suis certainement pas le seul.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

24. SlovakHab says:

I love this website.. What a cool community and people who support the Habs.

I have never met another Habs fan in my life – who can I talk to about my passion? It’s like nobody supports them in Slovakia (although the past 3-4 years I lived mostly in Ireland, Australia, Japan and Netherlands)..

Thank you for this website, I’m here at least 5 times a day since I found out about it.

And I HAB a good feeling about this season!

SH

25. moser17 says:

… aaaaand close bold print html now:)

26. The Teacher says:

I believe those are just overall page views and not new ones.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

27. mrhabby says:

had lunch at shopsy’s..stanley cup was there with the road runner was very cool.

28. Chorske says:

I love how you can look at the chart and see the big bumps in readership and attribute them to specific events. Here’s my proposed timeline:
    August 07- Habs picked by everyone to finish 13th.
    December 07- Habs get past usual end of year slump not looking to shabby, readership rises gradually
    February 08- TRADE DEADLINE! Hossa madness.
    March April 09- the bandwagon is packed to the rafters.
    May June 08- life sucks, carbo sucks, price sucked, our PP sucked, and why don’t we have a big power center with a scoring touch who is willing to sign for 5 years at 1 mill per and is also nice to his mom.
    July 08- the DRAFT! Annnnd: SUNDIN!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!1!!!!11!
    Sept 08- School’s back in… and so are the HIO readers. Only in Montreal would training camp almost double readership on a NHL teams sports blog.

What I’d like to see are stats on new members- how quickly are we gaining new people?

29. Mr.Hazard says:

Where do the new views keep coming from!! lol

Ex nihilo nihil fit

30. RetroMikey says:

Way to go guys!!!!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

31. Mars19 says:

This is truly the year my friends!

32. HabsProf says:

TSN’s Scott Cullen has the Habs #1 on his Power Rankings.

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

33. HKisses says:

THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO BRING US THIS SITE MORE…BIGUP TO U GUYSS

34. badangel says:

I love this site!
    And I tell everyone to check it out :D

Excellent!

Build it and they will come.

#1 sports team in the world, along with the # 1 sports fans in the world and great leadership= HIO, the best sports site in the world.

Just a great community to be part of.

Ian

36. carmine007 says:

Totally agree Ian!

Is anyone planing a bus trip to either of the NY teams???

What I was dreaming about is having some were we can meet in NY state enroute to the Islanders game or Rangers game?

Just food for thought.

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

37. tony d says:

agreed…. spend more time on this site than with my wife….is there a problem with that?

38. Maurice9 says:

At the Bell Centre as well, though just recalling, far more prominent on the road.
    Probably just some early season growing pains or what not. Hopefully, ironed out real soon.

39. The Teacher says:

Hahaha, nice one.

By the way, looking at the chart, it is unbelievable to see the exponential growth you are achieving as a site. I am stunned that the level of interest at this time is JUST behind what it was last April at the height of Hab-mania’07-08. What heights will this site achieve this year. How are those servers doing? ;)

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

40. sportsfreak_39 says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Gazette ups yours due to the massive traffic you and your fellow writers have brought in.

41. The Teacher says:

Yup, they are having big problems, I’m not sure if it is just the home games though, but their ability to keep up with the play has been lacking (and I don’t mean the missed face-offs), especially early on in the year.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

At least thet know where we are Tony!

43. ericengels says:

Must be thanks to that new “other wing” section….ha

EE

44. Mike Boone says:

As a ratings bonus, Eric, we’re doubling your salary.

45. travelsized says:

Yay, not too shabby at all!

46. Maurice9 says:

Congrats!
    Om a side note: anyone else find RDS camera this season a little spotty?
    It seems as though they are having trouble keeping up withe play – particularly focus on the puck.
    This could be partly do to the pace of Les Canadiens ;) but I think it the truth is the work as declined.

47. Mike Boone says:

Is RDS having camera issues at the Bell Centre? I don’t watch it because I’m there in the pressbox. On thge road, they’re at the mercy of local camera crews, except for a hand-held on Luc Gelinas or Renaud Lavoie doing interviews.

48. Jay in PA says:

Interesting spikes around the trade deadline and the draft/free agent frenzy. Hell, I’m probably responsible for about 10,000 of those page views in July: Did Sundin sign yet? … How about now? … NOW? Okay, I’ll wait five minutes before I refresh again.

49. ebk says:

you and me both, Jay.

50. Hoegarden says:

Don’t know if I’m allowed to do this but here goes;
    Should your winter travels take you to Puerto Vallerta, make sure you drop by Steve’s Sports Bar in the old part of town for your NHL, NFL fix. They have U.S. and Canadian satellite feeds and multiple screens.
    They get both Sportsnet and TSN for NHL coverage. The Habs/Isles game was on Saturday and last night they had the Flames/Ducks and the Avs/SJose on another.
    There must be a lot of “los tabarnacos” visiting this place as the menu includes “poutine”.
    Check it out at stevesbarpv.com
    Hoegarden in PV.

51. sholi2000.com says:

Forums such as these are great for entertainment. I mean where else can you read your favourite writers articles, and then talk with other Canadiens die hards about it all day long. I can view the HIO forum at work but can’t reply. That’s a good thing. :)

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    2PPCLI

52. habs haven says:

I think we should all head out to La Cage au Sports, for 8 free wings until the next habs game. The deal is, if they score 5 or more goals in a game, it’s 8 free chicken wings(starting the day after the game) everyday until their next game!