Gomez will play this weekend

ScottGomez
Scott Gomez participated fully in Thursday drills and will see action in one of the Canadiens weekend exhibition games.
But David Desharnais, who centred Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty against Buffalo on Wednesday night, sustained a lower-body injury and is out of the lineup.

Jacques Martin, in his post-practice media briefing, would not specify which players will face the Senators in Ottawa Friday night.

The coach praised Nathan Beaulieu – “exceptional talent, vision and offensive flair” –  and Brendan Gallagher, junior-age prosapects who will likely play “meaningful minutes” before camp ends.

Lars Eller and Andrei Markov are at different stages of recovery from their injuries, Martin said. The former is “more advanced” and will likely be in contact drills next week. Markov is still skating solo, as he was after practice on Thursday.

Two Hamilton Bulldogs alumni – Aaron Palushaj and Andreas Engqvist, will find themselves playing with veterans as camp progresses and Martin mulls which forwards will stay with the teram when the regular season opens

More news from sick bay: Brendon Nash had shoulder surgery

Jacques Martin audio

Gomez video:

Brian Gionta

And Erik Cole talks about the great Mike Modano

1. qqggnn says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $3 0Etc.
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. samTHEman says:

How many 1st round picks does it take the Oilers to freakin’ make the playoffs? Brule, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins….#blamesubban

• Stev.R says:

Any other organization with the same players would be contenders. Edmonton was a super nova of talent in the 80s, then it collapsed in on itself and has been a black hole ever since.

• mbplekfan says:

Not many teams with 5 players under 22 make much noise in the playoffs. Wait until they mature and then watch out.

Oilers are stacked for years to come. Problem is that when the entry level contracts run out they wont have the money to keep them all.

• Chris says:

The 1980-81 Oilers finished below .500 with a team that included the likes of Wayne Gretzky (20), Jari Kurri (20), Mark Messier (20), Glenn Anderson (20), Paul Coffey (19) and Kevin Lowe (21).

Talent is great, but the players also need some experience. Give the Oilers a year or two, and they ought to be rocketing up the standings, especially if they can find a goalie. Their former dynasty only started to succeed when they found Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog.

3. frozengolf says:

Having watched the first few pre-season games, a lot of the young d-men look really good. Yemelin, Diaz, Woywitka, Beaulieu, Tinordi, all looked like they could play with the big club this year. I know the last two are headed back to junior, but of the others who’ll make the team as the 6th and 7th blueliners?

The three important elements of hockey are: forecheck, backcheck and paycheck.

• Tony McLean says:

Beau blew me away.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

• Stev.R says:

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Yemelin, Weber. Thats our top 7. Diaz or Woywitka will be first call up. I’m hoping they’ll keep Beaulieu in the line up for the first few games until Markov is healthy. Just to give him some experience with the pro’s. I think he’s allowed to play 8 or 9 games.

4. Good Habit says:

I sure hope DD’s injury is very minor. Is this team made of glass or what?

5. Sheldon says:

Gomez may suit up, but I have serious doubts as to whether he will actually play.

6. zak says:

Watching Beaulieu last night he’s learned all he can in jrs.

7. C_exacte says:

fingers crossed that gomez has laid off the chi-chi’s and is going to go apocalypto this year

8. Shane1313 says:

Finally Shanny’s gonna return some respect to hockey!
    Hope you guy have seen this..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cf2gW7YVM&feature=youtu.be

• aroma54 says:

good observation – so far the ten game suspension hasn’t attracted a lot of attention, but it augers well for the season to come. And dare we hope that Shanahan is capable of being consistent and fair in all his future judgements? Let’s hope, as a former player who is obviously concerned about player well being, that he can bring a degree of deterrence to head shots, dangerous boarding and so on. Winning the Stanley Cup should be a measure of skill, not survival of the fittest.

9. Chuck says:

A question just for the sake of argument: suppose that at the trade deadline the Habs figure that they’re THIS CLOSE to making a run for all the marbles… and they have a need to shore up at centre and still have a few bucks to play with under the cap.

Would you inquire to see if Saku Koivu would be willing to come back to Montreal?

• avatar_58 says:

He’s not coming back

• Bill J says:

If they where truly in that position, I would hope Koivu would not be their first choice.

Sorry SF09

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Chris says:

Oof…I don’t think that would work. But man, would I ever be happy. :)

On more rational thought…he’s decent on draws, he has proven to be consistently good in the playoffs, and you KNOW he’d love to hoist a Stanley Cup in Montreal. Would anybody that might be brought in for such a run be more revved up?

• HardHabits says:

I think am going to call you Chuckle from now on because that’s what you’re making me do right now.

• Shane1313 says:

I genuinely hope Saku will finish his career here.

• Da Hema says:

As much as I admire Saku as a person–especially for his courage–I also felt that he and all his Canadiens teammates simply acquiesced to mediocrity (e.g., Rivet).

The page has turned. Gainey and Gauthier dismantled those past teams for good reasons. I don’t want any of those former players back.

• Tony McLean says:

Pay Sakless Koivette *not* to come back.

• Matt. says:

pffft, Koivu would be a good addition if the Hab`s have a chance at a run. He always was the Habs best player, and he never had anyone to play with.

And your signature is brutal, because the whole Bruins team succumbed to option two and they won.

This one is especially for Crosswired_fomo:

———————-

I can’t contain myself anymore since I had this brainstorm and I don’t really care who makes scads of money off of this idea but does anybody remember Pet Rocks?

I propose the modern version. The iRock. Yep. Apple will have some serious money to make. The iRock. It doesn’t do anything. There are no apps. It just sits there. But. It’ll be from Apple. And therefore it’ll be awesome!!!

11. OneTimer says:

1. Scott Gomez looks like a Koopa Troopa.

2. Has a new era in league discipline finally come? Harsh suspension for Jody Shelley. Video explanations by Shanny. It’s looking good.

12. Chris says:

Completely off topic, but to be honest the topic at hand (pre-season hockey) is somewhat tedious.

I have seen many times over the past few years the argument that the NHL needs to contract to improve the quality of the game as the talent pool is too diluted with 30 teams.

This came into my head today while reading about Adam Larsson, who is poised to join the New Jersey Devils this season. I was looking around the NHL at the bevy of young, top-notch defencemen that the league boasts at the moment: Carlson, Alzner, Subban, Karlsson, Fowler, Pietrangelo, Johnson, Johnson, Doughty, Myers, Letang, Shattenkirk, Letang, Staal, Vlasic, McBain, Schenn and Hedman are all under 25 years old and were all leaned on heavily with their respective teams last season.

Throw in guys like Ekman-Larsson, Hjalmarsson, McDonagh, Bogosian, Hamonic, Kulikov, Blum, Del Zotto, Bogosian and Kampfer as a solid up-and-coming group, with prized prospects like Adam Larsson, Erik Gudbranson, Nathan Beaulieu, David Rundblad and Simon Despres knocking on the door. That is an impressive amount of NHL talent, many of whom are or were major contributors at an age that would have seen many of them toiling in the minor leagues 25 years ago.

You could easily do the same thing with the goaltenders…the amount of young, talented goalies is staggering.

How many of these young players would have been contributing so much 25 years ago? Today’s juniors are so much better prepared than their counterparts of 25 or 30 years ago, so we don’t need to wait nearly as long to see players make a big impact on their teams. Throw in the much larger talent pool that the league is drawing from due to the influx of European players and you’ve got enough players to easily fill out the extra 180 roster spots that the addition of 9 teams has created.

If the argument is that the low-scoring we currently see in the NHL is a result of this diluted talent pool, I would respectfully disagree. If we have learned nothing else over the past couple of decades, it is that it is much easier to create a stifling defence than it is to create an explosive offence. Phoenix and Nashville showed this as recently as last season. Concentrating the talent into fewer teams would, in my opinion, not do much to improve scoring and might even have the opposite effect; the offence would obviously be better, but I personally believe the defence would improve even more.

Furthermore, I’m not sure I see evidence of a diluted talent pool relative to the 1980’s. While teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Quebec, Montreal and Boston were pretty stacked with talent in the late 1980’s the rest of the league was somewhat talent starved. Many teams had a star or two, but surrounded them with journeymen and role players and simply couldn’t compete.

For example, look at the rosters with which the Jets and Canucks were trying to compete with the Oilers and Flames. Or consider the Stanley Cup Finalists; 8 straight Stanley Cup Finals appearances for Calgary/Edmonton from 1983-90, while Montreal, Boston and Philadelphia were the Wales Conference representative for 6 straight seasons (1985-90). We in Montreal were perhaps spoiled by the fact that we were watching one of the top teams in the best division in the NHL for much of the decade, but I think the notion that the league was pretty polarized between very good and very mediocre is probably much closer to reality.

• avatar_58 says:

Honestly I wish our management would take on the risky approach of others. Stop signing the spaceks, gills and hamrliks of the league and start leaning on your subbans, beaulieus and webers.

People say things like “oh they aren’t ready and make young mistakes” – kind of like gill makes on a regular basis?

I envy the younger teams that grow with their youth. It’s a shame the habs spend so much on has beens like Gomez and barely give guys like Desharnais their dues.

• carolinahab says:

An extremely well thought out analysis and I for one agree with most of your analysis. However I think the need for contraction is related more to the lack of 30 North American cities capable of supporting a NHL caliber team at the current level of compensation (cap basement / ceiling) build me a new arena or we will leave. Additionally, nothing wrong with the overall quality of play continuing to improve, it may be time to push the marketing of AHL level hockey and increase the compensation to players at that level. Make the AHL the alternative rather than the KHL. Just a thought.

• Chris says:

Absolutely true, and I was somewhat disingenous to not mention the financial/ownership issues in my discussion. There, calls for contraction are absolutely valid.

There’s nothing wrong with the quality of play improving IF it means more offence. But if the game starts to resemble top-flight soccer leagues in terms of offence, fans might start to grumble. Soccer is not a low-scoring sport by nature: it is a low-scoring sport because it is very difficult to score goals when the talent gap between offence and defence is relatively small.

North American fans are addicted to offence and goals, so an upgrade in play that might coincide with an increased difficulty in scoring goals could become very damaging to the sport’s growth.

• Chris says:

To be fair, I should point out that there were young players that stepped in immediately in the past as well. Ray Bourque was a star at 19 years old, Al MacInnis by 20, and players like Phil Housley (18), Brian Leetch (20), Paul Coffey (19), Larry Murphy (19), Dave Babych (19), Gary Suter (21) or Scott Stevens (18) were everyday players at a very young age.

So maybe it just feels like we’re in a unique boom right now of talented youngsters, but the posters with longer memories than mine might be able to point to that 1980-95 period and note how many stellar young defencemen were starring at that time as well.

• Those players were more the exception than the norm though. Nowadays if a a player isn’t NHL bound by 21 he starts getting called a bust. So I think your point holds a lot of water.

• Chris says:

I was actually surprised when I went back into the records to see how many guys were in the league young. Gord Kluzak and James Patrick (1983) were both up as 18 year olds for Boston and the Rangers. Al Iafrate, Doug Bodger, Sylvain Cote and Petr Svoboda (1985) were all regulars as 18 year olds.

Lots more were regulars as 19 year olds. So it was not as different as I originally thought. :)

13. I’m surprised that when you comment on the iphone app, it doesn’t say “sent from my ipad”.

I like how people talk about putting an end to cheap shots in hockey by posting cheap shot comments.

Be honest. How many of you wanted to pound the living crap out of me at least at one point during your visits to HIO?

I rest my case.

15. avatar_58 says:

Does anyone else have trouble watching Edmonton, knowing they are basically enjoying nearly EVERY high draft pick in the last few years? I really dislike the way they keep rewarding that team for tanking.

• With that management group, they’ll find a way to screw it up.

• Chris says:

If they can find themselves a defenceman (still think they should have taken Larsson) or two, they are going to be ridiculous. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them address the goalie issue with somebody like Cory Schneider or whoever loses between Holtby and Neuvirth in Washington…they certainly have the talent to dangle to teams for trades.

• avatar_58 says:

It’s just hilarious that people bitch and whine about “well we have to make sure all teams have a chance” with the draft then we have teams like Edmonton PURPOSELY (yeah that’s right, I said it) losing to stack their team.

In like 2 or 3 years that team is going to be elite. Why are they being rewarded for this?

• HardHabits says:

Because history has shown that tanking never works.

• avatar_58 says:

I think if you tank and pick in the top 5 you forfeit your first round pick for next year. You don’t get to have multiple top 5 picks every year, that’s BS and the league needs to fix this “reward the losers” mentality.

• HardHabits says:

I think the top 5 picks should be a league wide lottery and the worst team should pick 6th. Once a team wins in the lottery they’re out until all teams get a pick there. That means at least one top 5 pick for every team at least once every 6 years.

• avatar_58 says:

Anything to get rid of this team stacking nonsense. Think how much better the league in general would be if these edmonton kids were all over the place versus just one team out west

• Chris says:

Personally, I would like to see the draft abolished altogether. With a salary cap, it simply is not possible to sign every top youngster, so we no longer need to worry about the Maple Leafs, Rangers, Habs or Red Wings using their financial clout to scoop up all the best youngsters.

Let the kids pick their own destinations. There will be kids who choose the money, some who choose for opportunity and some who choose for personal reasons.

16. joe-hab-nuno says:

Sorry bill… Should have put a happy face in the end. And I wasn’t trying to call you a bull. Pressed post by accident before I could change bull to bill

17. joe-hab-nuno says:

Sorry bull

18. joe-hab-nuno says:

These dangerous hits should have a set of numbers automatically. Then these guys that play on the edge of no other choice but to change their game, and not use the excuse ” that’s part of the way I play. I know know why these guys are taking so long to fins a solution. Do they actually sit down and talk about? Or are the guys talking about have so many hit to the head that their brains are that fuzzy that they can’t come up with a solution?

19. joe-hab-nuno says:

I’m wondering if I use a magnifying glass while using my iPhone if I’ll have the same experience as you bill

20. V says:

Five pre-season and five regular season games is a start. Sets a benchmark for moving forward that the new guy can measure future infractions against.

The league will finally get it right when they increase suspensions for this nonsense to the point they get 90% of it out of the game and suspend guys like Rosehill for starting the bare knuckle brawl after the hit.

The sooner they ban fighting, they sooner they dispel the myth that fighting prevents dangerous hits. That suspension will have a much bigger impact on Shelley (may mean he is cut from the Flyers) than the fight ever could. And, it will probably take another, longer suspension to begin to undo the years of conditioning the Shelley’s of the world bring to their game. So be it.

It’s going to take awhile to get these hits, the players who make them and fighting out of the game – it’s a huge cultural shift. But it’s not a matter of if it happens, it’s just a matter of when.

21. joe-hab-nuno says:

Bill j… I’ll kill the flow once more. I agree with you.

• Bill J says:

Not holding against you. I get that it’s not your fault.

Very dissapointed they didn’t make that a huge priority for this most recent upgrade.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

22. Bill J says:

Dear HIO iPhone app gurus, please fix the reply feature on the app. It really kills the flow of threads when posters don’t directly reply to others posts.

I’m just glad I don’t have to use the app with my iPad.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

23. Bripro says:

Andrew, I hope you’re right and time will tell.
    I saw Shanahan interviewed on RDS last year, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
    But at the same time, I’m sure he’s got relationships with several current players whether he played with them or not. We’ll see.

24. joe-hab-nuno says:

Berk.. I know there’s not many from his generation, but he has a little argument there. I never met Shanahan and dont know much of his personality, except for the fact he ditched us for that crap team in manhattan. He just doesn’t look like he has that lowlife aspect to him.

• It’s not a legitimate argument unless there’s reason to believe the logic is true. No one accused Campbell of nepotism until Tyler Dellow did the research and proved he was trying to influence games.

• joe-hab-nuno says:

I’ll have to check to see what nepotism means later, but I have an idea what iy means by the context you used it. ahhhh…what were we talking about?..Ahh hockey. Never liked Cambell, he was always too weak and to unconsistent when it came to suspensions. He had very weak arguements with to similar actions were 1 guy got 2 games and another guy got 10 games. There should be some sort of consistantsy and a gradual amount of games. every season they used one guy as an example and took it easy throughout the season. I just hope Shanahan starts with a better track record.

25. joe-hab-nuno says:

Berk.. Well there’s Gomez, but when it comes to him I hope he suspends him for 20.lol. I too am tired of the Gomez bashing but it my first time. I hope he has a good season. The only hab player I wished for a bad season, didn’t really have to wish too hard cuz I knew he sucked, was theodore.

26. joe-hab-nuno says:

The disciplinary action should be a committee, not an individual. I don’t understand why the shooting the puck over the boards is automatic 2 when 90% of the times it’s accitendal now adays. When something as serious as a hit to the head under review . Just bogus how these clowns run things in the league. Isn’t more simpler to automatically penalize someone who head hunts and suspend the without question?

27. joe-hab-nuno says:

Got my answer

28. joe-hab-nuno says:

Bipro, I agree with Andrew here. I think Brian Wilde was against that statement. Twitter could get a little confusing. Andrew, I don’t know if you replied to him or me cuz I using the iPhone app. So I was really questioning Brian Wilde’s remark

• Bripro says:

I know joe-hab-nuno and yes I did reply to Andrew. Didn’t mean to put words in Brian Wilde’s mouth. As it turns out I agree with the tweeter who was asking how having friends in the NHL is any different from having a relative. They’re both bias’, but of a different form. I can’t wait to see if Shanahan acts as his own man, or is influenced by his relationships and (I believe) Campbell in the background.
      As for the iPhone app, I’m with you. I hope they fix it.
      Unless anyone knows of an iPhone app that groups the comments…

29. joe-hab-nuno says:

About the posts of the equipment they use now. It’s one of the few times I agreed with Don Cherry. Even Thornton from the bruins mentioned it last season. he even plays with those 1970-80 shoulder pads. The reason these numbskulls who run the league do not notice this is beyond my imagination. Why they need these hard plastics on their shoulders? I don’t know. Shins and pants I understand. Just read the post lower comparing football and rugby. Comparing the injuries from 20-30 years ago and today, the excuse is the game is faster. Yes it is, more reason to take away some of these equipements . Without the elbow pads and shoulder pads, Sid would be playing most of last season.

30. joe-hab-nuno says:

Just saw a tweet.
    Son=Friend? Really? “@NHL_Related: Shanahan has friends and former teammates playing in NHL, how is that any less biased than Campbell?”
    Come to think about it there’s not really much difference. Hope the fact that he played with some of these guys and know them personnally, I hope he doesn’t come up with the excuse “he’s not that type of player.

31. avatar_58 says:

I know some of you play so answer me this – why is it when I get a player injured in NHL12 the game decides to edit all my lines? Like say subban goes down – suddenly forwards are sent to the AHL, lines are mixed, pp lines, everything. Surprised honestly that it didn’t put Budaj as the starter.

How about ASKING me? Also how about updating the method in which you edit lines EA? I don’t enjoy spending ages fixing this garbage and having it bitch about too many players and whatnot. Why can’t I edit to my hearts content, save different presets, etc and THEN click “finish” before it bitches about number of players and whatnot?

I feel like starting a new season with injuries disabled just to avoid this headache.

Shanahan fails his first test. Five games just isn’t good enough. It had to be a minimum or 10 or a real kick ass 20.

33. Chorske says:

The lesson here is don’t injure a Leaf.

It’s a great start… but I’ll know for sure that Shanahan is serious when a Bruin or a Leaf gets suspended.

34. 10 games for Shelley, 5 preseason and 5 regular season.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Gomez is not good. There I’ve said it.

36. Greg says:

Anyone else unable to see the videos?

37. Bash says:

Are players paid for preseason games. Does a player suspended in the pre season lose money?

And of course who is to say that player would dress for all preseason games.

If the HABS have 8 preseason games and one of our many goons pulls a dirty in game one, a preseason ban is 7 games…7 meaningless games.

I don’t think preseason suspension is enough.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

38. kungpowchicken says:

Kungpow says: Stock markets shows that people are scared s*itless right now. Markets are oversold. Ian – dont buy into the +1%, -1% BS for the next decade. History doesnt repeat itself but it rhymes. Listen to the Kungpow man who says: ‘as in the past, the future will show a climb in the markets…albeit slow….kinda like the Habs ascent to another Cup final.’ Stay tuned and stay invested, says kungpow. Gotta love my Habs from beautiful BC! Kaching!!!!

39. captaink4life says:

Does anyone know if Dame Malka will see some game action anytime soon?

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

40. ooder says:

so my gf surprised me with tickets to the Bruins game on Monday… can’t wait.
    I really hope I get to see Ghalager and Beaulieu live.
    Those guys were SICK!!!!
    as for the game yesterday… well for the sabres to barely eek out a win with pretty much their entire roster against the team the habs iced yesterday sais more about their team then ours.

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

41. likehoy says:

correct me if I’m wrong, but if Modano signs that contract, doesn’t that mean that the Stars have 999,999 on their cap hit cause he’s over 35 even if he retires?

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

The reason why fighting wont be banned in the NHL is clear. The fans love it. I was at the game Monday and during the Schultz fight everyone was on their feet, but the clincher was this; the camera zoomed in on a super hot blonde in the crowd who was on her feet cheering like crazy.

It’s like car and beer commercials. You want the hot babe, buy the beer or drive the car, or win the fight.

Habs don’t need an enforcer… they need 3.

43. Habitoba says:

You guys crack me up and missed the whole point and that is policing each other when the refs can’t/won’t.

The “crap” I pull with the “I’ve played and you haven’t” is justified. So many issues arise when you’re playing that some people that haven’t played will not experience in their lifetime. It wasn’t a personal attack on people. It’s like saying “there’s BS in the office that you might have heard about but since you’re working out on the field, you haven’t experienced yet.”

Lsten, I get the whole respect thing. I now just play on sundays with family and friends where we don’t hit or do slap shots because we don’t want to hurt anybody or get hurt ourselves. But you’re asking people to respect one another and that’s a tall order not because I don’t want to see it happen but because you’re going to have to start a whole league to see that happen. You’re going to have to give these grown men sensitivity training every week. You’re going to have to basically raise each person like your own to not hit anybody, ever.

Now I repeat myself, until every minor infraction in hockey is addressed, you can’t tell the players to stop policing each other or more people are going to get seriously hurt

• punkster says:

Well thankfully you’re here to enlighten us (as you said).

If your point in your first comment ” is policing each other when the refs can’t/won’t” then you should have said that right up front.

On that point alone I disagree. If the refs can’t/won’t then they’re not doing their jobs. The rule book defines much of their job. The league or NHLOA pays them to do that job. If they’re not doing their jobs it should not fall back on the players to “police” other players but the league to “police” the officials.

Not going into the definition of the word police either since I suspect yours and mine differ greatly.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habitoba says:

Until the day arrives that the NHL manages to somehow fix everything, you want players to do what exactly? Take the abuse and let the cheap shots rule the game?
        I agree with you that things need to change and would love to see these changes within my lifetime but fighting is part of the game we have right now and it’s there for a purpose (not talking about the goon fights that are just for the sake of fighting)

• HardHabits says:

Habitoba…. punkster is a nice guy. Really he is. He just always takes the pacifist stance because he’s hard wired that way. He’s still a likable person even though he’s obviously very delusional.

• punkster says:

It would take more than a sudden change in officiating. Some of the folks mentioned this below; respect. It’s a term that has been bandied about over the years to excuse the league’s failings. As in, “if the players showed more respect for each other there would be fewer head shots, concussions, severe injuries, etc…”.

Imagine a tough but fair disciplinary office, decent officiating and an increase in player respect for each other. Cheap shots would be rare, fighting almost non existent and injuries down.

All three will take time but all three need to be implemented now.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Nidog says:

Can someone give me the link to live streaming tabs games?

• savethepuck says:

Now I see where you are coming from. The criminal justice system has it all screwed up. Vigilantes should not be persecuted.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Trisomy 21 says:

I was about to doodoo all over you for your “how many of you have actually played” but now i’m looking at it in the way you intended it to come across. Understand it does come across as pretty high and mighty.

44. Bripro says:

For @shiram and HB (Dang format won’t let me reply to your comments).
    So you had a fight in High School hockey shiram. Regardless of the circumstances. So did I. It just happens.
    And HB I understand what you’re saying about other sports.
    I also played football. And didn’t fight. But it was rougher to start off with, so maybe that’s why. I don’t have the answer. It must be a psychological issue, knowing you can fight in hockey.
    But I still don’t have a problem with a clean fight, and be they kids or adults, their emotions at that level will get the better of them.

• shiram says:

The guy sucker punched me in the face, a tap on my shoulder, I turn around to greet his fist with my face.
      I reacted without really thinking, and put him in a head lock till he was tapping on the ground for me to release him.
      My point is that even with being sucker punched, and this guy antigonizing me at every step, I still did not punch back, and I’m not some weird emotionless robot…
      And it was not on the rink, though it started there, so there were no refs, or team-mates, just us.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bripro says:

Then you’re a better person than me.
        I got a slash on the back the achilles tendon from a goalie, with my back to the play. I thought my tendons were on fire!
        Didn’t even stop to think. I turned around, dropped my gloves and didn’t even wait for the mask to come off. I have the scarred knuckles to show for it. It was only one fight, but it can happen, and it doesn’t take away from the game.
        I’m not talking goon hockey, I’m saying more spontaneous fights are OK.

• shiram says:

I’m sure you are a pretty good guy, and I got my faults elsewhere for sure, I don’t pretend to be better than anyone…
          Freak fights can and will happen, but they should be more severly punished etc…
          The league gives out 5 minutes penalties, but that’s clearly not enough of an incentive that prevent fighting, heck teams go out of their ways to get goons and enforcers to fight, so the punishment is worthless.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• LA Loyalist says:

I had a guy threaten to “really ‘f’ me up” last night and I just laughed in his face… that said, he’s on my calender next time we play that team. Last time there were fights in my league they just called the game over and a tie. (both goalies got in separate fights).

• Bripro says:

Now a guy like that, if that’s how he always plays, I don’t feel there’s room for him in the league. But a spontaneous fight can break out, and it can even happen to players known to show respect. Youtube Joe Sakic, as an example.

45. krob1000 says:

V In response to your post “Do you notice how much of your position stated above is based on speculation and innuendo. I can accept there might have been relatively low communication between SK and Martin, but zero?

And don’t SK and Martin bear pretty much equal responsibility for making sure there is appropriate communication?

I said they share equal responsibility if you read above. OF course it is based on sepculation and innuendo…becuase all we see is the hockey …and Sergei’s hockey was just fine. He also came out and said that there was no communication and he didn’t even know why he was sent down. One thing about the speculation and innuendo …isn;t that what all of the negatives are too? IF you get down to what we really care about which is hockey…Sergei surpassed all expectations and will continue to do so IMO…..The guy is a great player who I really beleive is a point per game player eventually….I say that but also realize that even superstars now don’t get a point per game but I think 70 points is easily doable and in Nashville that is pretty impressive.
    I think the organization keeps letting guys go and not excusing growing pains with young guys…it has to be expected….somehow Pacioretty got away with saying he didn’t want to play in Montreal without being given a top six role…I can just imagine what would have happened had Sergei said that. I am just fed up with us not letting players grow…they are going to make mistakes, they are going to mess up….the list is too long in a short period to deny there is/was a disconnect between the organization and the youth of that time period. It seems better now after letting MaxPac talk, Subban was ridden but only for a short time and the vets seem to have fixed that but I was worried but now having seen them hold on to Pacioretty, Price, Subban, etc …it seems to be we are on the right track of late

• Da Hema says:

Krob: You stated Kostitsyn “also came out and said that there was no communication and he didn’t even know why he was sent down.” Sergie was punished because, among other things, he was late for a team bus ride. Unless Sergie is a complete and utter idiot, the communication there seems crystal clear.

• Bill H says:

I think you make a valid point about there being a disconnect, with players like Sergei and Latendresse having all kinds of potential and then getting traded away, only to do much better elsewhere.

Certainly communication is a 2 way street, and Martin can not take all the blame. But let’s face it, JM’s strong point is not communication. Its really hard to tell from here what goes on behind the scenes, but one thing was apparent, Guy Boucher turned things around for Sergei in a hurry. But for Boucher, the timing wasn’t right for a promotion and he got away too.

I don’t think we should discount other intangible factors that come with playing in Montreal. Media attention, adoring fans, and intense pressure to perform, as well as other factors play with a young player’s mind, I think especially with the two cases mentioned above, but also with some of the other assets that have been traded away.

I think there will always be pluses and negatives about playing in Montreal. Some players won’t be able to handle it. Others will thrive on it.

• LA Loyalist says:

Good points. And that’s why we need to be EXTRA careful in Montreal with developing our kids. Habs have traditionally been very good with that – though lately, not so much.

• Mark C says:

“Guy Boucher turned things around for Sergei in a hurry”.

SK quit on Boucher, SK played in 5 games with the Bulldogs, then left the team and after 11 more games in the AHL he was called up for good. SK played a total of 16 with the Bulldogs when Guy The Great was there and took his puck and went home during that time.

The great myth of Boucher grows…

• Bill J says:

Lats did better elsewhere? At what, sucking?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I was replying to the one below and ended up here. Hmm. So look down if you bother to read this…

I’ll respectfully disagree, but it would be good if you would respectfully drop the “if you’re against fighting you never played”. The dirtiest game I know is water polo. I’ve never seen a water polo fight. Rugby is brutal. Hockey’s not a special game, just a special culture.
      When I went out to play hockey, scrapping was part of the game. I wasn’t insulted, cheap-shotted, etc. I just expected to fight ’cause that was hockey where I grew up. I was a lousy, low-level skater, but hey, we dropped them. I was taught it was part of the game. If it feels good, punch it. It’s how we thought it had to be.
      I also thought I’d be a wuss if I ever put on a mask to play goaltender. That changed, and fighting can change. The spectacle isn’t worth the brain damage potentially inflicted.

46. Habitoba says:

Here’s to all that think fighting should be banned:

How many of you who think fighting should be banned have actually played hockey? If you haven’t, let me enlighten you on why it is pary of the game. In hockey, the game is not only fast but the play can last several minutes (compared to baseball’s slow as molasses pace, linesmen at each possible corner of the field and football’s 2-5 minute break between 30 second plays with over a dozen officials looking on). The refs can’t see all that is going on and you can’t fill the rink with any more because it’s already conjested with enough bodies. Cheap shot artists know this and know how to get away with their shit. It’s up to players to set these guys straight so they don’t get away with murder. Players need to police each other because if you keep whining to the refs, telling them to open their eyes, they’ll close them when it counts. Until EVERY dirty hit is addressed and every fighter banned for the season, you can’t take fighting/policing away. In a way, it protects the players.

Now I’ll be honest and would love to see fighting gone because I hate seeing people getting really hurt but you have to take away so much of the game just to do so that you’re left with nothing more than figure skating with sticks (unless Tanya Harding is playing)

• shiram says:

If players had respect for each other, they would not fight each other, or make dirty hits, plays slashing whatever…
      Players should not have to take matters in their own hand, as it only escalates that violence. Besides they have a biased views of the events.
      Fighting does not protect the players that are fighting, for every player you are protecting, 2 are exposed to injuries with fighting.
      If fighting was not glorified by the “old school” we would not breed in a mentality that it’s the right thing to do.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• FB says:

“If the rules were better enforced, it would defuse situations that can lead to fighting.”

Just curious have you ever officiated a hockey game?

I ref pretty high levels of hockey and can tell you it’s not as simple as better enforcing the rules. We miss things and cannot watch 360 degrees of the ice at one time. That is not even discussing standard of play and game management.

I’m not really for or against fighting. I do like to watch a good fight but understand the risks that fighting cause to players. It is interesting how nobody fights at the Olympics. So it must not be that important to the game or it would happen more often. Again the Olympics is a two week tournament and not a 82 game season.

JMO

The Olympics have strict rules regarding fighting. It is that simple. You want to be immediately thrown out of a game and perhaps more, get in a fight.

• FB says:

That was my point. It must not be that important or they would do it no matter the consequences.

Lets face it fighting sells and Buttman likes money. He could care less about the cause and effect to the players. $$$$$

• savethepuck says:

The same rule that will be in the NHL within 5 years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• shiram says:

No I’ve not reffed any hockey games.
          I get what you are saying about refs on the ice, and the ice already being crowded. How about refs off the ice, with access to hd feeds?

Basically what I get from you is that are issues in the league, and they lead to fighting, I think the league should work to fix those issues instead of continuing to allow fighting.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• FB says:

I’m not arguing with you. It’s all about Buttman and $$$$ plain and simple. He could care less about the players.

Lets not start talking about off-ice officials.

• christophor says:

2 issues with this.
      (1) Understanding (or holding) the point of view you’re defending doesn’t require extensive hockey experience. Don’t pull that “you’re only arguing that because you’ve never played hockey” crap.
      (2) No fighting = figure skating with sticks? If you don’t see a problem with that leap, I’m not going to bother explaining. Besides, you’re only arguing that because you’ve never figure skated.

Explain how rugby manages to work fine without fighting. You can’t say there aren’t a crapload of things going on in the scrums either. The league (NHL) has allowed fighting to take on a role it shouldn’t have.

An emotional outbreak on occasion resulting in a fight is one thing. Currently there is fighting for a multitude of stupid reasons.

• shiram says:

Like the Schultz fight in the first pre-season, totally useless fight, and I’d consider what they did a delay of game too…

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bripro says:

@shiram, I’m totally in agreement with you on the Schultz fight. I posted yesterday, that was just a middle of the ice dance. Totally ridiculous, including his swirling motion.
          But don’t tell me when you were younger and played (or maybe still do) and you’ve never gotten into a fight.
          The game is so emotional and sometimes, the adrenaline just gets the better of you and down go the gloves. A fight like that, IF JUSTIFIED, I don’t have a problem with.

What is wrong with self discipline. I understand what you are saying Bripro, but that is only becuase in hockey for some reason, it is acceptable to lose your cool and have a fight. The competitive forces are just as strong in football, rugby and numerous other sports, but they have chosen not to allow fighting. Hockey has decided it is acceptable, their is no phsyiological reason that hockey players need to fight as opposed to other athletes in other contact sports.

• shiram says:

I had one pseudo fight related to hockey, I was in High School then, but the guy jumped me off the rink, so I guess it does not count. On the rink he would hit me with his stick and insult me, and I got pissed, for sure, but I did not act on it.

NHL players are all mostly adults, they should know to keep their emotions in check, and if they do no, they should be more harshly punished.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• The Dude says:

Rugby is a continual fight and one of the worst team sports you could involve your children in. The knee’s ,brain ,hips ,back….heck everything is not made for such an unprotected sport and the CHEAP SHOTS ARE APLENTY! Sorry but this is a real bad example for A) Sportsmanship.B) Safety in sport c)Sport you want you children in…..but it is fun to watch,lol

• TINMAN17 says:

There are more injuries, minor and major, in American pro football than there are in Rugby. Everyone I know that played rugby after playing football, including my brother who has played in the US and Europe, have all told me they have seen more devastating injuries in football than Rugby by far. Rugby, apparently is safer, because you have to play differently without the pads and helmet. The helmet and pads become weapons. I myself have been injured numerous times in football. My brother and his buddies have never had a serious injury in rugby other than one guy sustained a broken jaw playing rugby. When they all played football there were concussions, broken legs, arms, fingers, cracked kneecaps, etc., etc. I think A) is totally wrong, B) is incorrect, C) I’ve never heard of a children’s rugby league…but anything is possible I guess.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• VancouverHab says:

That’s a very good point: ‘how incredibly stupid of me not to have though of that myself.’

Two thumbs up.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Two words to refute your argument: Olympic Hockey.

• punkster says:

All these words to simply say, it’s a part of the game?

If so then why are the most severe penalties assessed for fighting (roughing minors, then majors and misconducts), why does the play get whistled dead when a fight starts, why do most of the players not fight at all?

No, sorry. If the league and the officials were doing their jobs properly there would be very little “need” for these antics. Call them by the book and the cheap stuff will dramatically and magically reduce.
      ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bill H says:

Interesting theory. And why doesn’t Olympic hockey have fighting?

Oops! I think that point has been covered.

The world markets just crashed today. -1% to +1% growth for the next 10 to 12 years.

48. TheDagger says:

Big opportunity coming up here…. I’m talking for the NHL. Everyone knew Colon Campbell handed out pathetic suspensions that really deterred nothing. But now that Jody Shelley did a Jody Shelley thing Shanny has an opportunity to set a stricter tone right away. I’m expecting something a little harsher than what Campbell would have dished out. Thoughts?

49. krob1000 says:

Great news that Spacek does actually have extra jump after shedding some poundage….If he can regain his form of a couple years back then we are looking very good on the back end.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

I will answer my own question from yesterday:

1. It’s The End of The World As We Know It (“That’s great it starts with an earthquake…”).

2. Fall On Me (“What is it up in the air for?”)

3. Man On The Moon (“Andy are you goofing on Elvis? Hey Baby Are you having fun?”)

4. Shiny Happy People (with the divine Kate Pierson).

5. Radio Free Europe.

51. REB says:

Nash had shoulder surgery???? WTH happened? When? Damnit!!!!

52. krob1000 says:

I did not see the game in its entirety last night…but I noticed on Engels blog he makes note of Spacek winning foot races against Gerbe and Ennis….any truth to this?? Did the weight loss appear to make a difference in his speed and agility??

53. PrimeTime says:

With the guarded optimism surrounding current team this year and the positives of the future players coming from camp why would anyone care how Pouliot is doing? He’s gone….end of story. No more needs to be made of it.

Uhhmmm am I allowed to watch the news tonight? I recognize it is all past tense stuff, but curious to see if thats okay.

• krob1000 says:

Personally I am pulling for Pouliot when not playing the Habs…much like I do Sergei and Ryder. I think those two and Benny were all pretty much run out of town….and painted as villains….I saw nothing but effort out of all three of them.

• HabsPEI31 says:

What colour do villains come in these days? Aside from black and yellow (I refuse to call it black and gold).

Funny, I just realized. SK, Pouliot and Ryder all have the same colour scheme on their (new) jerseys.

I just answered my own question… how odd such a thing could happen on a Thursday. Fridays are usually Answer Own Question DaysTM.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• LA Loyalist says:

I’m really conflicted because one of the old-timers teams I play on our colors are black and yellow (which is bad) but usually we lose (which is good) … but at least we aren’t called The Bruins. :-)

• Habitoban says:

Benny and Ryder yes… Sergei, not so much.

• krob1000 says:

I think Sergei may have been the worst of the three from an organizational standpoint…there was zero communication (aside from Martin screaming at him as the whipping boy in practice)….that and newcomer at the time and veteran Gomez apparently picking a fight with him… his brother gets absolutely ko’d and noone responds…when he does he gets benched. HE is hurt in preseason, scores and plays as well as he possibly could off an injury, gets sent down again with no communication….I think both sides share the blame in the Sergei era. Ryder, Latendresse, O’Byrne, Sergei., Pouliot ..that is a pretty decent list of guys who have gone on to success (not Benny yet) and their supposed attitude problems have never resurfaced….hmmmmm. I’d ask a question and answer it but…apparently that is only for Fridays.

• Habitoban says:

You could add Grabovski to the list as well.

• V says:

54. Say Ash says:

Anybody catch Pouliot last night? How’d he look?

Over/Under on Shelley Suspension – 5 Games.

New Sherriff in town, i fear he chews the same tobacco.

56. samTHEman says:

Any news on the Bournival front? Sucks that he’s injured during such an important time. Won’t be able to see what kind of player he is. Well maybe with the WJ team Canada this December. Wouldn’t it be cool if Beaulieu, Gallagher, Bournival and Leblanc all made the team? (Is Leblanc still eligible?)

57. J_P says:

Dear Scott Gomez,

I am completely tired of bashing you. Please come out and have a good season so that I can be happy to have you on my favorite hockey team. My expectations are not even that high. If you finish the season a plus player and score 60 points, I’ll be absolutely ecstatic. There’s no question that if you are on your game, this is a far better team.

Sincerely,

J_P

58. arcosenate says:

Let the Church bells ring!!!

59. punkster says:

We’re saved!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

There will be at least one thread re markets. What a crap shoot.

(Meant to reply to HIB below)

Savethepuck, because I am using a brontesaurus not an iphone I can’t reply, but yah I am thinking 2-3 more threads!

62. savethepuck says:

5th thread of the day and it’s not even 1:00 I think Chrisadiens will be buying Habinburlington a beer.
    You better start hoping for a push on the over/under 7, because I’m sure there will be at least 1 more today.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

63. kempie says:

So it looks like the Dogs are going to have a pretty strong team this year. But how crazy will it be next year with Gallagher, Beaulieu, Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi, Bournival? Where can I get odds on my money for a Calder Cup that year?

64. wall2bay says:

Gomez bounces back with a 70pt season OR Laffs make the playoffs?

What’s more likely to happen? I say Gomez!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

65. godinr says:

i guess that would be watch live streams of habs games :)

66. godinr says:

does anyone know where i can stream live habs games?

67. DYCSoccer17 says:

It’s preseason for crying out loud. Can we stop with the “lower body injury” crap? Is that asking too much?

68. shiram says:

RDS reporting DD’s injury is minor.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Well until he gets fired for suspending the wrong guy…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

70. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s easy enough to give 5-gamers to losers like PLL and Jody Shelley. No one’s liable to complain.

But will he give – say – 20 games to a Zdeno Chara or a Mike Richards?