Gomez, Spacek good to go

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Max Pacioretty | P.K. Subban

Scott Gomez and Jaroslav Spacek appear ready to play against the Philadelphia Flyers tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Bell Centre. Both participated in the morning skate in Brossard and were with their usual partners. Gomez was between Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta while Spacek was paired with Roman Hamrlik on defence.

Yannick Weber will be a healthy scratch along with Tom Pyatt and Dustin Boyd.

And Canadiens prospect Michael Bournival was among the final cuts from the Canadian national junior team today. Louis Leblanc made the team as expected.

1. Mattyleg says:

I was always partial to Zarly Zalapsky.

And when I came back from Europe and saw Satan playing hockey, I thought hell had finally frozen over.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. christophor says:

Doesn’t Andrei hit harder and more often than Moen?

3. Mattyleg says:

As much as I’d like to take part in McGuire-bashing, I never watch TSN, so I’d be out of date.

This is good stuff, though!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Bugs says:

Gotta agree. No name more awesome than Radek “The Atomic” Bonk.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

5. Mattyleg says:

Get Mike Johnson back there too!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. Storm Man says:

LOL he is also captain of something else…. But this is a PG13 site.

7. christophor says:

I was pulling for Jonas Hoglund. I always am, and I’m always let down.

8. Mark C says:

Way to get on the Max-Gomez-Gio bandwagon before it leaves the station. I think this is the best pair of players for Gomez to play with. Gio and Max are both high volume shooters, who should be able to best capitalize on Gomez’s play making. Max has the size to play the corners and the front of the net. While Gio has history with Gomez and is a right hand shot.

9. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Whoa, hang on… Darche’s brother’s wife owns her own business? And JM’s using him on the THIRD line? Where did this guy learn to coach?

10. dicktracy says:

M. Richards

11. TripleX says:

Arpon Basu

Here’s latest  lines, Cammalleri-Plekanec-Moen; Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta; Pouliot-Eller-Darche; Kostitsyn-Halpern-Lapierre. Boyd out.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

12. SmartDog says:

You all know that I’m not one to was poetic with optimism.  But with Gionta back with Gomez and MaxPac on the other wing, this new shuffle could create a chain reactoin that results in an explosion of goals. Gio NEEDS to be with Gomer.  No-one else can figure him out. MaxPac is the kind of player that could help that line – big, eager, and a threat to score goals.  Reuniting Cami-Pleks-AK makes me want to throw myself on the ground and yell “praise the lord!”.  I think Cami will be happy to get his old line back and if he returns to his old form, opposing goalies are in trouble when the Pleks line is on.  Moen goes back where he belongs – on a crunch line – and may feel a bit more power and space playing against the lower lines of other teams.  And whichever line that gest Moen gets a boost in physical play.

So to me, MaxPac coming up could have a strong effect on the whole team.  Hoping so… and I don’t hope for nuthin’. I think this could really happen.

SD

——-

13. SeriousFan09 says:

I personally demand an update to know whether or not any of the Canadiens have second cousins with fishing cabins on the Great Lakes.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. Malreg says:

Or he can tell us about how Darche’s brother just moved to a different state, and that Darche’s-brother’s-wife is opening her own business.  He seriously mentioned that once last year…

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Any word on when Radek Bonk will get back in? We’re short of NHL players with awesome names.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

16. avatar_58 says:

Twas a playful jab Bugs, I loved the journey that ship took us on

Effin Carbozo!!!

18. SmartDog says:

How many fingers?

My brother is a journalist – a pretty good one – and he uses two fingers.  I make fun of him… for that and the “smoking jacket” he often wears while writing which I think is actually a woman’s bathrobe.  Journalists are quirky.

——-

19. otter649 says:

Is Danny Markov playing ?

20. Bugs says:

Well, she took heavy damage saving your city against the two fiercest armies in the East if you remember.

May she rest in peace.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

21. Say Ash says:

Guess that means Ryder will have to keep making paper airplanes.

22. avatar_58 says:

Is that the ship that sunk somewhere around Philly last year?

23. Leafsfallinthespring says:

Sergei is also back in the lineup according to TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

Haha.

24. habby27 says:

Don’t F*#! around JM.

AK better be with his usual line.

Will Martin have special instructions for PK pertaining to Richards or rein him in a little.

I say turn him lose, and you will get quality and grit. He has a great head on his shoulders for how this game can be played productively.

26. Bugs says:

There once was a Habby called Moen

On whom the coach was heard goin':

“Imagine a drakkar;

Warriors sans sonar.

Well, he’s below doin the rowin’.”

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

27. Kooch7800 says:

I agree but I would say that Max P has a better nose for the net and hands then Moen.

28. Say Ash says:

Great. McGuire can tell us all about Max Pac’s high school years.

29. TripleX says:

Some perspective on what is truly important.  The final column of the great and brave Tony Proudfoot.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

30. Kooch7800 says:

PK will have a good game tonight.  He is due and I have a good feeling. Plus Brad Richards will be on him so he will bring up his game

31. Kooch7800 says:

I believe it is on TSN tonight as well as RDS.

Happy viewing.

Did I mention how much I despise the flyers!

Hey look. It’s the captain of the Halaknic.

33. dh says:

My guess is that JM starts Moen on the first line since it’s the Flyers.  I would prefer Cammy, AK and Pleks but I bet that he won’t do that.

34. shiram says:

I would not say that MaxPac is a confirmed bonafide top 6 forward, but hopefully he can prove it this season.

That appears to be the HIO consensus by a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide margin.

Hope Picard and PK have better outings together tonight.

37. punkster says:

1. Gomez

2. Grabs

3. combo of  b and c…demotion and scoring

4. True (for now)

5. Carsicko

38. HabFab says:

He say’s as he mixes some gasoline into the fire extinguisher!

39. adamkennelly says:

Lapierre, Pyatt, Boyd – all the same type of player – too much to ask for this team to have some toughness on the roster for use when needed.

40. TripleX says:

Team990 is saying Moen is back on the top line with Pleks and Cammi.

Either JM is torturing us or everyone had good reason to be upset.  Guess we all have to wait for the game to find out what JM is planning.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

41. punkster says:

Unbelievable, even from you.

42. Samovich says:

So is the game on at 7pm or 7:30pm?

43. HabFab says:

How about a first, two seconds and a third.

This would be much like the 70’s Habs…heavy on the “much like”part.

44. lavie says:

Based on the good timing that the line AK-Pleky-Cammi is resumed, I’d say JM is a good coach.

45. punkster says:

That sort of language is gonna get you banned.

46. punkster says:

So those practice lines everyone was so upset about over the past few days turned out to be just that, practice lines. What would we do on here without panic and madness to fuel the fires?

47. Bugs says:

That’s twice as good a team as Guy Lafleur’s analysis of the club few years back…

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

48. lavie says:

Thanks for the update. As I mentioned yesterday, these are the most agreed (forwards) lines.

49. NoTinFoilCups says:

Thould I gad dythlecthia ;)

50. HabFab says:

Truly inspiring!

Thank you Julie for sharing it.

51. Bugs says:

I like how you say we “finally” have six top forwards but in the same breath say we should wait for reality to confirm it so we can finally say it.

Brilliant non sequitur!

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

52. Dave Stubbs says:

Things that should be seen only if wearing protective goggles: Hickey typing.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

53. joeybarrie says:

So the keys to tonights game.

Cammi back with Pleks and AK. If they can play like they did in the first games, we are looking good.

Gomez and Gio with a hungry kid who wants to show he can stay with the team. No better time to do it than against the top team in the league.

PK to show Richards he will continue to play like he has, and not make mistakes.

PK and PP needs to be top notch.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

54. joeybarrie says:

Harani reported the lines from practice this morning…

AK46 – Pleky – Cammi (#13 will be a happy man!)

MaxPac – Gomez – Gionta

Darche – Eller – Pouliot (If it ain’t broke..)

Moen – Lapierre – Halpern

Scractches: Pyatt, Boyd

Hammr – Subban

Spacek – Picard

Gill – Gorges

Scratch: Weber

I like these lines. We can roll 3 lines that can score. And we are preparing for special teams…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

Think of it as the Habs having quatre deuxieme trios!!

Enough about Weber being a michel heaklthy scratch.

What about Leblanc ex ecpecteding?

57. habs03 says:

Mr Proudfoot is the best! What a great man, such class, I was fortunate enough to have him as my soccer gym teacher a few years back at dawson college. Thx for the article.

58. egold says:

We FINALLY have six top 6 forwards on the team….we can finally field 2 top offensive lines, yet we still have to wait until that becomes a reality.

Nothing against Travis Moen, really….he’s a heart and soul player who I’ll take on my team anyday.  But man I’d finally like to see him in a role he’d be comfortable in: 3rd line checking/energy role!

Andrei Kostitsyn on the 4th line makes absolutely no sense!!!  I trust and believe in Martin but man he makes it tough to sometimes..

59. Julie H says:

What’s going on with the typos? Guess the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet ;) Also the game is at 7:30.

I’m glad Spacek is back in the lineup, we certainly need him in one piece!

I’d like to take a moment to share a wonderful article written by none other than Tony Proudfoot: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/time+come+Proudfoot/3979831/story.html

He is a friend of my family and has a very special place in our hearts. His article brought me to tears and really made me think about how wonderful life is and how special each person that we meet really is. I hope you will take time to read this touching story.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

60. HabFanSince72 says:

The best laid plans …

What Montreal nightlife did to Higgins, Lucic did to Komisarek.

61. habs03 says:

I would love to see Hamrlik-Subban, Gill-Gorges, Spacek-Weber, but I guess you gotta go with Hamrlik-Spacek seeing how well they play together.

62. marshx says:

Yes, its terrible to watch. Can’t imagine what someone with it goes through as your mind stays intact but body wastes away little by little. Luckily my friend has a strong mind and much like Tony is trying to stay positive.

63. SmartDog says:

I agree with you. This “skill conquers” stuff is BS.

We have a couple of kinda physical guys but we need at least one bone-crushing idiot on the team.  Phily has 4 or 5, Boston has a couple.  We can win.. unless they throw us off our game, which they probalby will do.

——-

64. LA Loyalist says:

Your theory is brilliant. Problem is we’re playing Philthy (thanx Serious) and Boss-tones.

too small, too soft, too intangible

65. samTHEman says:

1. G-love

2. Komi

3. JM wants a scorer on all four lines

4. Duh

5. Carcillo. If he’s out then Powe

66. LA Loyalist says:

… if there’s no leafs game

67. LA Loyalist says:

… if there’s no leafs game

68. LA Loyalist says:

darn good point, what annoyed me was Gretzky complaining about fighting in hockey, when he always had his personal bodyguard following him around — which is fine, but don’t whine about it. I actually have more respect for Cindy, whom otherwise I can’t stand.

69. LA Loyalist says:

a fabulous ironic statement in and of itself. In fact, iconic.

70. LA Loyalist says:

Remember when we were so excited to get Komi and Higgins? It’s just sad to see how it played out.

71. J_P says:

Yeah really good for Leblanc.  It was nice to see that he was a lock seeing as he didnt even play against the CIS all stars the other night.  Very encouraging, considering our log-jam at center for the next few years, that he is comfortable playing on the wing.  Can’t wait to watch him at the WJHC.  Probably one of the most entertaining hockey tournaments on the planet.

72. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

You’re making a totally different argument here. I agree, Gomez is definitely capable of playing better, and we definitely need him to if we are to do anything this year. That being said, our team is worse without him in the lineup, even at his current playing level. He has gotten off to a terrible start this year, no question. I don’t particularly like ‘defending’ him at this point, but I think it is warranted when people imply that the team would be better off with him in the press box. Obviously I’d like to have Brad Richards instead, but that’s not the option we’re facing right now.

Dustin Boyd is not quite Brad Richards at this stage of his career. Extra point finale.

73. ctony says:

Do you think Boudreau makes it a week past the WinterClassic?

74. J_P says:

Depends how patient Ted leonsis is.  George Mcphee I dont think will be in a rush to fire Boudreau (seeing as he hired him), but Leonsis might not be so patient in watching his team slide.  Also, Pittsburgh fired Therrien to bring in Bylsma, and Bylsma brought them to the next level, so washington might have the same thaught process that Boudreau has worn out his welcome with the players and now its time to bring in someone fresh to take the team to the next level.

It would be a shame, because I really like Bruce Boudreau.  Personally, I think he just has a team thats mentally fragile.  However, as someone who has ovechkin in their fantasy hockey pool, anything that gets Ovie back to playing to his usual standard will be welcome.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Boudreau may last the season, depends on the owner’s attitude about things and how much pressure he is exerting on the GM for a shakeup to get the team rolling, an early playoff exit may seal his fate but if the Caps can’t go .500 in their next 10 it might very well happen. Sooner or later, someone’s got to answer for a lack of a good defensive scheme 4 years into Boudreau’s tenure.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

76. LA Loyalist says:

There seems to be talk they need a “playoff goalie” ahead of blaming Boudreau directly.

77. TomNickle says:

If Washington goes on another big losing streak and fall out of the top 8, I wouldn’t be so sure.

George McPhee is a fairly intelligent general manager but Ted Leonsis has his fingers in that franchise.

Robert – Mark French is the man in Hershey and he had an off the charts season last year as a 1st time head coach.  Right now, the Bears are are doing OK but not setting the league on fire.  Difficult to say if McPhee would go with a guy who has limited experience.  Of course, Hitchcock is available.  As well as the usual suspects.  Hey, there’s always Patrick Roy.  He could also double as the team’s goalie!

79. LA Loyalist says:

Get your lawn chairs down on St. Catherine, stake out your spot. Gomez is back. Parade imminent.

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Gomezphobia is back, damn.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

81. SmartDog says:

Distant cousin.  Pees on the floor.  We don’t talk about him.

——-

82. ctony says:

Caps recalled Jay Beagle from Hershey, SD — are you related?

83. SeriousFan09 says:

Well hey when Ovie isn’t tearing the league up and your defence is a joke, call up the journeyman AHL player.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

84. samTHEman says:

Exactly. The way I see it, Gionta was promoted to Plek line to get him going because he has the C. Why was AK, who was arguably the best forward to start the season demoted to play with Gomez? Gionta doesn’t produce so take him off the line with the struggling Gomez. Now AK doesn’t produce with Gomez and he gets demoted to the 4th line? No justice there. It’s because Gionta has the C and Martin has given him priority over any other forward this season. AK belongs on the top line with Plek and Cam, end of story.

85. ds says:

Well it got Gionta going at least, lets face it injuries happen, if you have the opportunity to test various combinations in the worst case players will have some feel of playing with others.  Imagine all year plex-cam-ak light it up, playoffs come and someone gets hurt, the team goes SOL.  MTL ain’t on the bubble right now, they can afford to build chemistry between different combinations.  I think come playoff time the AK-Plek-Cam line will be reunited.

I don’t think AK has been consistent enough to be honest.  Over the long haul the guy is a 25 goal,  50 point player, solid 2nd line winger but not a first liner..

86. OneTimer says:

Edit no. 2

87. OneTimer says:

Edit no. 1

88. OneTimer says:

watch him slink back to the shadows when we win, too

89. LA Loyalist says:

:) we win against Philly, I’ll buy you a lawn chair – with the little drink holder thing-y on the arm! :)

90. SmartDog says:

So is Gomezaphliia

——-

It’s if the Habs win against Philly. It’s even a stretch to include yourself in the we Habs fans category with the comments you make here on a regular basis.

92. Hockey Socks says:

Typing trouble there, Pat?

Just teasing!

Seriously, though, good to hear that Gomez and Spacek are back in (which is funny because they’ve been the biggest scapegoats this season.)

93. Bugs says:

Who the hell is Michel and why will Weber “be” him?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

94. savethepuck says:

!. Has anyone seen if Bobrovsky is confirmed for tonight, I assume he starts because Boucher went last night.

2.Also people gotta ( in the words of someone famous ) “chill out” about all this AK instead of Moen talk.  I think it is the common consensus on the site that Plex, Cammy and AK is our best scoring line and I agree 100%.  I admit I was a bit upset a few days ago when I saw the practice lines, but then I had time to think about it.  First of all, just because 3 guys start together, doesn’t mean they will play the whole game together.  It does not even mean they will play the majority of the game together. I also looked at the AK-Lapps-Halpern line and thought, that gives us 4 good balanced lines.  But most importantly, if anyone thinks that if we get down a goal that AK and Moen so not switch lines, I don’t think they have been watching all our games and paying attention to the juggling JM does.

3. Hope Max Pac does well but way too much talk on here like he is the second coming of Guy LaFleur. Our fan base historically has a tendancy to have high expectations for certain players for reasons that are generally unbeknownst to the majority of the hockey world.  He’s tearing up the AHL, yes, but be patient with him.  I hope he gets of to a great start and lights it up, but it’s a step faster up here and he needs to adjust.  I don’t want to come on here if he is scoreless after 3 games to listen to people bash him like a bum.  Especially if it’s after a game that I’ve had a few drinks.

4. We are on a 2 game losing streak because early penalties put us in a hole early Friday night ( whether bad reffing or bad playing ) against the best team in the West.  We desperately fought back and ran into a hot Jimmy Howard in the third ( of course he lets in 5 on 27 shots vs the Kings Monday night).  The next night we go into Toronto, who are always up for us, we are down because of the night before’s loss and we lose.  Alex Auld had a very bad period and let in 2 bad goals. Even though I thought in his other starts, he had played exceptionally well for us. I actually thought he was our best and only player on the ice against Atlanta and he played well against the Isles to win 3-1 facing over shots.  Unless anyone here has been an NHL backup goaltender and knows what it’s like to play once a month has can do it well, they have no right to say he sucks.  Also we are on a 2 game losing streak because of the reasons I’ve stated, not because we now suck or the coach sucks or we need to trade for this or get risd of that.

95. avatar_58 says:

Is Spacek 100%? If not I’d rather they go with Weber

96. CanadienBoy says:

Agree let the old man get a rest and play the kid

97. shiram says:

Dustin Boyd, waivered twice, and no interest, the kid is in a tough spot

98. kirkiswork says:

Anxious to see how the Maxpac, Gomer , Gionta line performs.

99. habaholic68NJ says:

I have been calling for the MacPac call up to play with Gio and Gomer for about a month now. Welcome aboard to the many of you who jumped on this bandwagon only after the call-up and who were against this move initially, arguing that MaxPac should stay and develop confidence in Hamilton for the rest of the year, possibly with a playoff call-up.  My reasoning is very simple.  I think the Habs should try to win the cup this year.  To do this, we need to get by the Flyers in a 7 game series and the only way to do this is with 3 scoring lines.  We are better in nets and about even on the blue line.  In the absence of a trade before the deadline, our best shot is the line-up we are scheduling tonight, with the exception of flipping AK46 with Moen.  Hopefully, JM will make this change later in the game or at the latest after tomorrow’s game with the Bruins.  Playing this line-up consistently over the next 20 games will tell us what we truly need come trade deadline time, a top 6 forward or a top 4 D-man.

100. OneTimer says:

All hail habaholic68NJ, guru of HI/O!

101. RJB says:

Praise be to you, you of the incredible foresight. We are all duly impressed

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

102. savethepuck says:

I know that I am way after the fact on this but you are talking about a guy that could not perform in Montreal, whether it be because of the pressure or anything else, he is not here anymore

103. krob1000 says:

Sergei Kostitsyn is on a 7 game point scoring streak after a horrendous start…..9 points over those 7 games.

104. Thomas Le Fan says:

“a michel heaklthy scratch” …. say what?

Go Habs!

105. kelley says:

gumper29   Lets hope boring Martin uses an aggressive forecheck, and allows PK Subban to play

creative and aggressive hockey.

106. samTHEman says:

Pyatt, Boyd, Weber, Muller and an assistant are playing some 2 vs 2 pick up hockey against Auld, with the assistant at the point to keep the puck in the zone. Man has Boyd got some talent. He’s been a healthy scratch for most of the season probably because of his lazy defense and overall game without the puck but man, this guy can DEKE! It’s too bad he doesn’t back check because he could bring some good offense on a bottom 6 instead of Pyatt.

107. habs03 says:

I wouldn’t call him lazy, just bad positioning I would say, I think the best thing for his future is to move to LW.

108. joshua94k says:

If I were coaching, I’d put a 5 man all rookie rotation whenever the Flyers Richards is on ice. Togther the unit of Subban – Webber, line of Pacioretty, Eller and Pyatt will show ‘disrespct’ to Richards. They will drive him crazy and get him off his game. If it was a HNIC telecast it would make for a better Coach’s Corner.

109. CanadienBoy says:

Good one.

110. Chuck says:

I’d rather disrespect him by making him a -8 on the night.

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36

Think before you post. The internet is forever, and that’s a awfully long time to look like a knob.

111. Bugs says:

Alignin baby-faced rooks against Richards, riiiight.

Yeah, I’m sure he’ll be “driven crazy” insteada ripping them apart like they weren’t even there and recording a 6-pt evening.

Worth a shot, I guess.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

112. ds says:

I don’t get the lovefest for AK, he had a great start and has been average at best since.  The team is doing well, JM is exploring options.  Will MP stick this time?  We have a good enough record that we can experiment.  Halpern has put up points so AK on the 3rd line can be an attempt to get more balanced scoring.

In Detroit, Scotty Bowman would put two stars with a grinder often i.e. Kozlov-Federov-Brown and Yzerman-Shannahan-Some grinder, that way the grinder would make some space and forecheck while the skill players would have room to manouvre.  It’s nothing new and shocking that Moen gets that role.  Last year’s playoffs when Pouillot fell asleep it was Moen who took over on the Gomez line and he scored a great goal making Gonchar look like a fool in game 7, the guy (Moen) is a warrior don’t take him for granted, guys like him help teams win cups.

113. Say Ash says:

Why the lovefest? For the first time in a while (maybe ever), AK was playing like a 10th overall, strong on the puck, going to the net, even back-checking, helping out pinching defencemen. Never seen that from AK. Then he’s taken off the Jagr line and put with Gomez…(fill in here)…