Gomez clears waivers, becomes unrestricted free agent

Scottweb

Scott Gomez cleared waivers Thursday and can now officially be bought out by the Canadiens.

Under an NHL side deal adopted on Tuesday to the new CBA, teams can buy out one player with a salary-cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins, but first the player had to clear waivers.

Gomez, who becomes an unrestricted free agent after a buyout, is owed $10 million over the next two seasons and carries a salary-cap hit of nearly $7.5 million.

In the new CBA, clubs were allowed two “compliance” buyouts to take place during the 2013 and/or 2014 offseasons in order to ease the transition to a lower salary cap. The new agreement lets teams to use one of those compliance buyouts before the start of this season, but the player’s full salary for 2012-13 will count against the team’s cap.

Read more by clicking here.

Read what The Gazette’s Pat Hickey and Red Fisher had to say when former Habs GM Bob Gainey acquired Gomez and his monster contract from the New York Rangers in the summer of 2009 by clicking here.

In other news, the Canadiens placed forward Mike Blunden and defenceman Frederic St. Denis on waivers Thursday. If they clear waivers, they are expected to join the Hamilton Bulldogs.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. frontenac1 says:

Last night on L”Antichambre, Mike had what the starting lines should look like and I”m starting to be ok with the forward lines but the D still looks shakey to me. Kaberle,Diaz and no PK. Jeesh!

2. habstrinifan says:

Lots of Subban talk. I hate to say I told you so… but I told you so. Check the archives.

3. Propwash says:

I have a feeling the Habs are gonna beat the Habs tonight. GO HABS GO!!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

4. savethepuck says:

I am watching on goha.bs/Wk5nGp and it seems in slow motion. Is it my computer or are others finding it the same.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

5. HabFanSince72 says:

If Tom’s theory is correct regarding Bergevin, then Bergevin would have to be quite reckless. New GM in the craziest and most deadly market in hockey – one that recently drove out heroes like Roy, Carbonneau, & Gainey – and the first thing you do is trade the one bona fide (future) star on the team, for no really good reason?

Why would someone take that risk?

I think a more likely explanation is that the Habs want to pay Subban as little as possible and Subban wants to be paid as much as possible – and both sides believe the other side will move once the season starts.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

6. PeterD says:

Watch tonights scrimmage on HabsTV on the Habs main website…plug your pc into your TV with an HDMI cable and stream it thru your TV…WooHoo…Game on baby.

7. The Jackal says:

We’re all entitled to our own opinions, and no one is calling someone an idiot for thinking one thing over another. On the flip side, opinions can be wrong or they can be right, and on the PK issue, the right opinion is not the one being uttered here most frequently, and that is an unfortunate product of the media and old fashioned notions about hockey.

Like or dislike PK’s persona, there is no disputing that he is incredibly talented and skilled. Only in his second year in the NHL, he has already been leading the team in ice-time and has produced well. He can play in any situation and against the top guys of any team, and is one of the best young stars in the entire world of hockey. Anyone who knows what’s good for the future of the Habs knows that PK is an important part of that future. Talk of trading him is completely ridiculous.

Then there is the fabricated issue of PK being a selfish player – all created because the media ran with out of context quotes and made PK look like a controversial character in the locker room. What a joke! And some people bought that? Please! Name me one player that doesn’t take counsel from his agent regarding contract issues – these are a big deal for any player as they will determine the future for them.

For those who think PK is a drag on the team, take another look. PK is an affable guy who only improves the team on the ice and off the ice. He is a total character in a good way. What is this BS about him turtling or yapping? He gets people off their game because he has the skill to back it up – so what if he doesn’t fight? It’s best he doesn’t, why risk injury? There is no rule, maybe a stupid honour code, that says that a player who trash talks has to fight. Trash talking happens in any sport yet hockey is the only one where fighting (a dinosaur of the sport) is allowed. Let the kid play his game, he’s been successful and will continue to be. Don’t let your perceptions be influenced by some fabricated reports by a sensationalist media who has nothing to talk about.

Not signing PK would be the biggest mistake that Bergevin could make in his short career as the Habs’ GM. This guy is the total deal – character, effort, ambition, and talent. Remember when we played the Bruins in the playoffs? Guess who scored in the dying seconds of game 7 to take the game to OT. That’s the same guy who will help the team become a contender, count on it.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

8. Bripro says:

I don’t know if anyone watched the local CTV report with Brian Wilde and François Gagnon.
    I laughed my butt off.
    If Brian, reporting from the Bell centre, tried to smile anymore, I think his face would have cracked.
    Just under 18,000 people for tonight’s no consequence intra-squad scrimmage. And they’re still piling in.
    Yeah, OK….
    … won’t be participating in any hockey-related events this year… eh?
    Hockey is dead. That’s obvious.

9. SlovakHab says:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL

Can’t make it to the Bell Centre tonight? Watch our live feed on HabsTV – > http://goha.bs/Wk5nGp

10. HabFab says:

Gallagher to represent Bulldogs at AHL All Star game.

11. habsfan0 says:

What if the Leafs get Gomez?

Would he be in shape to play Saturday night vs the Habs?

That would be interesting.

12. HabFab says:

This PK hold out I blame squarely on Cole. If only he hadn’t turned the kid into a militant unionist over the lock out, none of this would be happening!!

• Harditya says:

I blame the Mayans.

• Habfan10912 says:

If Campoli was still here none if this would be going on.

———————————–

• New says:

It wasn’t Cole. I blame Philo Taylor Farnsworth.

Philo, or Mr. Farnsworth to his friends and family, is credited with inventing television. His other notable achievement was this quote regarding the product: “There’s nothing on it worthwhile, and we’re not going to watch it in this household, and I don’t want it in your intellectual diet.”

PK likely doesn’t know who PT is (or much care) but he long ago fell in love with the product. I doubt PK has ever seen a camera he didn’t want to get in front of. All those commercials, the sports desk stint, the pretend weather reports, they give PK what he wants. Up close and personal time with a television camera…and a TIVO at home.

13. Harditya says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Paperwork on Scott Gomez buyout from Montreal is complete.

Gomez is no longer a part of the Habs. REJOICE.

14. Hobie Hansen says:

Everyone, except a few weirdos, seems thrilled with the way the Habs bottom two lines are shaping up, with the added grit.

One guy who I have my doubts about though is Colby Armstrong. He was good in Pittsburg, decent in Atlanta but struggled with injures in Toronto and hasn’t done anything for a couple years.

I wouldn’t be upset if he was sent packing, dropping Moen to the 4th line and putting Gallagher in that 3rd line with Bourque and Eller.

We’ll see though? Maybe Armstrong gets back to playing like his days in Pittsburgh and does a good job killing penalties, scoring a few goals and causing a ruckus out there with big hits?

• Loonie says:

I’ll be honest. I like what he brings in physicality but am a little ashamed to have him on my favourite team. He’s one of the dirtiest players in the league and I’m kind of surprised Therrien got him before Hartley could snatch him up.

• Hobie Hansen says:

So you’d rather him in the lineup than Gallagher or a healthy Leblanc at this point? Or lets say Geoffrion (if healthy) or Dumont?

Just curious?

• Loonie says:

I wouldn’t have Armstrong anywhere other than the 4th line. He’s had opportunities to regain the scoring form he had early in his career and for a number reasons it hasn’t worked out.

This is what he is. He can be useful but he won’t be chipping in 15 goals like people seem to expect.

• dano58 says:

His success has only been with Therrien as his coach both in Pittsburgh and the minors so maybe M/T can bring that out in him again. If not the I am ok with 4th line for him and Gallagher or a healthy Leblanc in that third line role. With Gallagher or Leblanc on that line we will get more scoring than in years gone by. I think Eller also needs consistent line mates and this could be his break out year as Bourque needs to impress so he doesn’t get bought out in June (but I think he will be the 2nd choice).

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.”
            Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

• Phil C says:

The concussion thing is tough with Armstrong. I think we will find out in the first few games if his coconut can handle the rough stuff or not.

• Boomer says:

1 Million for a year. Potential good signing and if he busts it’s only a mil for a year. I like it.

• habstrinifan says:

Are you calling me a weirdo(unintntionally)?. I have not used the same 3rd/4th line combinations as almost anyone. My third line is Bourque/Prust/Armstrong. I am supposing the top two lines are Cole/DD/Pacs and Gionta/Plekanec/Eller and Galchenyuk thrown in.

Gallagher will sub on the 3rd line.
      Eller better be on our top two lines or we are farting around again.

So… do we have a 5 year plan or not?

• Loonie says:

I think so. I sincerely think that Bergevin has presumptions about Subban.

My theory is that he wants team philosophy and doesn’t think Subban’s a team guy. So how do you fix it? You create context by going through a lengthy negotiation. You trade him, keeping with the context of the selfish behaviour and then rebuild.

I don’t think Bergevin has any illusions about this team making the playoffs out of the gate. I think he’s really tanking it immediately.

The only way you can trade Subban is to paint him as a villain. A lengthy negotiation is the perfect way to do that. Bergevin was expected to get rope and that’s exactly what’s happening. People are turning on Subban because they think sun rises and sets out of Bergevin’s ass.

If he winds up traded this whole thing was very much by design.

• K-hab25 says:

Wow!! So I guess that means you think the sun rises and sets out of Subban’s a** then.

• Loonie says:

Not it doesn’t. You’ve been missing the point all week. Bergevin’s seen as a savior by the majority. And as such his moves or lack of haven’t been scrutinized or even analyzed by most. It’s been “you’re awesome sir can I have another”.

I think Subban is very close to being a new version of Markov. And if Bergevin trades him he’s a fool. And I have no problem saying that now because there’s no way in hell he’ll be able to get equal value for Subban.

Funny thing is we already know that Subban’s good at his job, not so sure about Bergevin yet.

• K-hab25 says:

Well in my opinion regarding this particular decision regarding Subban, he’s making the correct one. Subban has zero options, take what he’s given or sit home until he does. I doubt any other team is going to swoop in to sign him. If they do and it’s a fair contract, we match, if not, we take the picks and wish Superman well. As far as his other 4 moves, I’m split, I didn’t like the Cube or Armstrong moves, but I liked Prust and MT. I think this team needed a coach who will hold them accountable and I believe MT will. Like all hard a** coaches he’ll wear out his welcome in 2 or 3 years or so, which is when I expect us to compete again. We can then go get a coach who will baby the players, after MB makes men out of them. This hasn’t been a normal off-season and IMO you’ve been irrationally hard on Bergevin about every move he does or doesn’t make.

• Loonie says:

You’re welcome to my opinion. But I’ve provided rationale for my opinions about what I feel the bad AND good moves have been.

But then I would argue that we won’t agree because you don’t see Subban the way I do. And that’s fine.

• myron.selby says:

I guess as a theory it’s ok. Your theory has as much merit as anyone else’s as long as you realize that there is absolutely no basis in anything but your own imagination for it.

Point me to one critical comment made by Bergevin or anyone else in the new management team about PK. I get it that you don’t like Bergevin and that you think he is doing a terrible job. But it is kind of over the top to ascribe these Machiavellian actions/motives to someone when you have no solid information on what has been offered by the one side or asked by the other. Nobody outside the principals has any idea whether the sticking point is salary, term or anything else.

Some people think PK is asking for the moon and some think Bergevin is low-balling him. Your information and theories have the exact same amount of weight and basis in fact as theirs.

• Loonie says:

Very true and I was speculating that if he wanted to get rid of Subban, dragging out a negotiation during a time when he has more favour with fans and media’s the perfect time to do it from his end. That’s a theory, it has zero merit unless proven true.

And to be clear for the millionth bloody time. I don’t hate Bergevin. Have nothing against him personally. I do however think that if his goal is to make this team a playoff contender right away and a Cup contender perennially in the future, he’s off to a bad start.

I think Trevor Timmins’ work in the most recent draft might save his behind down the road, but to date, not impressed, quite the opposite.

• myron.selby says:

I know you’re saying that you don’t hate Bergevin for the millionth bloody time, but I’m calling bull, and this is the perfect example of why I don’t buy it.

This situation is a complete black box. There is literally no information to form a theory on what is happening or what the motives of anyone involved might be.

And yet from this complete vacuum, you create a theory that ascribes the basest motives and lowest behaviors to MB that the situation could possibly indicate. If you respected – or were at least neutral towards – Bergevin what possible reason would you have for coming up with such a scurrilous description of the situation?

It’s very analgous to the people on here who talk about how immature and selfish and greedy PK is for demanding so much money and not thinking about the team.

I’ve seen you (quite rightly) telling these people that they’re out to lunch for saying all these things about PK without information to back it up and yet you are doing the exact same thing on the other side of the debate.

• Loonie says:

Actually I’m not. And here’s why.

Fact: One of Subban’s closest friends reported that he and Meehan were asking for $5 million annually. A man he just got done working with for over a month.

Fact: The sides haven’t spoken in two days. You can do the digging to verify that on your own but it comes directly from Meehan. If Subban’s the sole party to blame in this, I don’t see how he could have picked up Bergevin’s phone and dialed himself from it. Thereby eliminating the “this is Subban’s fault” crowd’s vailidity.

Fact: Bergevin had three months prior to the lockout to work on a deal with Subban. He prioritized with Subban at the bottom of the totem pole.

Now. If you want to continue to say that I hate Bergevin you’re more than welcome to. But the facts are that regarding these negotiations I’ve seen drivel after drivel about Subban not being worthy of a long term extension, that he’s selfish, a drunk, immature and much much more. I don’t hate Bergevin and have applauded the moves that I feel have been good. I might be wrong about some of the moves I feel are bad and will freely admit as much. But your opinion about me hating him is baseless. It’s you jumping to the conclusion that because I’m not in favour of some of his moves and because I have indicated that he’s more to blame than Subban for these negotiations going south, you assume that I hate him. Well sorry to burst your bubble but I’ll be a fan of this team with or without Subban. But yes, I feel that the ball’s been in Bergevin’s court far more often than it’s been in Subban’s. Subban can’t give himself a contract extension after all and is in no position to take a crappy deal because some fans want him to. It’s business, if Bergevin decides to trade him that’s his and Geoff Molson’s choice, but with the way things are going I believe it’s become quite clear that Subban isn’t seen as an integral part of this team.

If that’s me hating Bergevin then I guess I hate him. But you’ll have to forgive me for not buying into your kindergarten logic.

• K-hab25 says:

Perfectly said Myron, I never understand why people can’t just be honest. It’s obvious to everyone he doesn’t care for Bergevin. I think Subban is really talented, but I think he has flaws and personaly don’t like all the yapping, then turtling, or yapping until someone face washes him and he drops to the ice like he got shot. That garbage reminds of Lapierre & Ribeiro and I didn’t like it when they did it either. Kids got some growing up to do before he gets a big contract.

• Loonie says:

Khab. It’s obvious you hate PK Subban. I wonder why people like you can’t just be honest.

• K-hab25 says:

You’re right Tom PK is not my cup of tea. Probably why I “hate” most NFL receivers, bunch of prima donna’s like Subban. Difference between you and I is I support Subban even though I really don’t like his conceited personality and punk antics on the ice. I point out he has flaws, but when he’s on the ice in a Habs jersey, I cheer for him just as hard as anyone else on the team.

• Loonie says:

Not sure how I’m any different that regard.

Just speaks to your lack of comprehension and cognitive ability I suppose.

• myron.selby says:

I have never seen the report that some friend of Subban’s claims he’s asking for 5M. I’m not saying it’s not true but I’m not sure how important it is either. For one thing what real friend would publicize something that Subban, Meehan and Bergevin have gone to great lengths to keep private? Either a piss poor excuse for a friend or somebody who really isn’t on the inside but would like people to think he is.

Even if it’s true it still doesn’t matter without knowing what term he’s asking for. If PK wants 2 years I’d say great or if he wants 7 or 8 maybe. If he’s asking for 4 years that’s the real problem because it would take him straight to free agency which would make no sense from the team’s perspective.

And as for there being no talks for 2 days – how does this become Bergevin’s fault? I imagine that Meehan has MB’s phone number as well so it would be equally valid to say that he is stalling negotiations.

• Loonie says:

I don’t feel the lack of discussions are Bergevin’s fault Myron. I feel they’re both at fault for it. But blame has again been laid at Subban’s feet for this.

Nick Kypreos is the friend who relayed the contractual desires and term should factor into it but I can’t think of a good GM who would allow Subban to walk over term in honesty.

I feel both have blame to share. I also feel it tilts more in Bergevin’s direction based on the amount of time he’s had to negotiate with Subban and the prioritizing he chose.

• K-hab25 says:

No, we’re not the same, because you haven’t been supportive or positive about anything Bergevin’s been involved in, including the draft, as you say, that was all Timmins. You’ve spent the last 2 weeks doing a hatchet job on the guy. I on the other hand would be happy if Subban, a guy who is not my cup of tea, stays a Hab the rest of his career. How about you Tom, you want Bergevin here that long?

• Loonie says:

Khab. You have me convinced you’re a troll now. Go back under your bridge.

• K-hab25 says:

The troll card huh, I guess that means I win. I’ve seen your weak attempts at debating other posters and laughed at your childish ways, I guess I should’ve known better. No wonder PK is your favorite player, he’s an immature child that needs to grow up too.

• Loonie says:

It has nothing to do with the way that I converse with people and everything to do with the fact that you’re spewing knowingly incorrect transcript back at me in this argument.

• Naslund26 says:

The thing with Subban is, we still don’t know who we are getting. Is it the inconsistant player that got benched twice, and 3-4 fights in practices or the super star we seen in his first season. He has the ability to be a Ray Bourque or a Jack Bourque (the garbage man)
          He may be worth 5-6 mill soon but we haven’t seen that consistantcy yet, and although alot of pressure was put on him the past two season’s, I just don’t buy it yet. Look at Deon Phaneuf, he was the next Pronger but beleived his own hype. Now he’s a Leaf Captain, and we know how that’s working out :)
          I’d like to see the two sides come to a one year agreement, and re-evaluate it in the offspring long term.

• Loonie says:

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. My argument is predicated on his value to the team at this time.

• ont fan says:

I agree with almost everything except the trade part. The tank, the philosophy but he won’t trade him. Subban is the example he needs for the future.

• bigtimehockey says:

I agree the Canadiens are messing up this contract thing with PK to trade him.

Gally is going to be a distraction for the fans….and hopefully they will forget about PK.

Personally, I think it would be better for PK to leave Montreal. The press already has a tainted view of him. His personality does not fit with “traditional Montreal Canadiens porfile” It’s never going to work out for him. He is better off building his career elsewhere.

• Timo says:

But twenty thousand people at Bell still raise on their fit and chant PeeKay, PeeKay… when Subban nails a scumbag like Marchand.

Bergevin is an idiot if he even remotely considers getting rid of Subban.

• Loonie says:

You just hate Bergevin Timo.

Just be honest about it.

• K-hab25 says:

Wow, your feelings get hurt way to easy Tom. By the way I never said you “hate” Bergevin, but you certainly seem to have more issues with him than the moves he has or hasn’t made, which why I said to be honest.

• Loonie says:

KHAB. If you’re going to dish it out be sure you can take it. If my referencing your pigeon holing of people sharing my opinion bothers you, perhaps you should think twice before making it personal next time.

It would be nice if we could disagree without you getting personal and telling me I hate Bergevin. Because despite what you think, it isn’t true.

• K-hab25 says:

You can check, but I never said you “hate” Bergevin, that was Myron. I just agreed that you seem to have serious issues with him beyond the moves he’s made or not made.

• Loonie says:

Okay troll. Maybe you should check some of your posts.

• K-hab25 says:

Your comprehension skills aren’t very good, because the only thing I said was you don’t care for Bergevin. The posts are right above for everyone to see your lying, but then when has acting like a child ever bothered Tom Nickle.

• Loonie says:

Fortunately conversations in general and HIO go beyond today into the future, and further back than today in the past.

Good evening troll.

• Ferguson-22 says:

Doesn’t Subban have to signed before being traded? His value is greater if signed vs RFA.

16. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Random thoughts:

Chris Nilan – 6′, 205
    Brandon Prust – 6′, 192

Kaberle – 4.25 mill through 2014 – bought out or plays well enough to be tradeable
    Gionta – 5 mill through 2014 – traded at deadline next year
    Markhov – 5.25 through 2014 – plays well enough for a new contract, traded at deadline next year, or out of league due to damage to knee

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher all with Habs by end of next year – who moves out?

17. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

who would u have rather andrei kostitsyn or rennee bourque, most would say neither, but if u had to choose! considering salary and everything.

18. Un Canadien errant says:

About the Roberto Luongo situation, it’s important to realize that the urgency to trade him has eased on Vancouver’s part. They are not hamstrung by a lower salary cap this year, and next year’s $64M cap is manageable compared to the $60M that was bandied about.

Also, Roberto is a loyal soldier and a good guy and teammate. While this summer he asked for a trade to a team where he’d be the #1 goalie, he also wants to end up in a favourable location, for which he can use his No Trade Clause. He also doesn’t want to jam up the Canucks and put a gun to their head. He realizes that by allowing Mike Gillis to take his time, both their needs can be met, and he won’t be forced to go to a situation he’d rather avoid. So he’s ready to bide his time and share the net with Corey Schneider for now, and everyone on the team agrees he won’t make waves, that he’s a good friend and teammate, even under these circumstances. Maxim Lapierre explained on RDS that while they gave him the gears on Sunday when he showed up in the dressing room, right now it’s business as usual.

So while last summer it looked like it might be a buyer’s market for Mr. Luongo, with the Canucks desperate to unload his salary to get under the cap, right now they can stand pat and wait for a Cup contender to lose its #1 goalie to injury or incompetence (hello to you, Mr. Bryzgalov), and drive up the asking price.

I’m pretty happy about this, because I end up watching a lot of Canucks games, and they’re more fun when they win. They need an injection of skill in their lineup, and the return they were rumoured to get from Toronto wouldn’t have helped this team at all short-term. If Martin Brodeur tears his groin or Tuka Raask’s game falls apart, the Canucks will be sitting pretty.

———————————————————————–

• ABHabsfan says:

On the other hand if the Canucks keep him this year and Schneider plays most of the games (because he’s better), the market next year might not yield much for a $6M back-up. And 1 year older to-boot

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Un Canadien errant says:

True. I think Alain Vigneault will rely on Corey Scheider more, but will use Roberto liberally, with an eye to maintaining his trade value. I’d be surprised if they held on to him right to the end of the season. I think buyers are more likely to bid high in this shortened season, and the Canucks’ ‘window’ is closing, so they want reinforcements for this season and next.

19. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Live Blog for the scrimmage tonight???

20. rhino514 says:

By not playing, Subban is indirectly quashing the season for his team before it starts. It´s only a 48 game schedule. If he were to miss more than a handful of games, I don´t think the club has enough talent to make the playoffs.
    I sincerely hope he signs within the next few days, but if he doesn´t, and i realize this is something no one wants to hear, I say good riddance to him. A good organization is not dependant on one player. And furthermore, you won´t find selfish players in a solid organization. It´s a team game.
    There is no reason for MB to short change PK Subban. I am sure he has been offered a reasonable contract. Everyone knows that you get the big money after your bridge contract.
    If PK can´t accept that, if he thinks as has been said that he is drew Doughty, then let him go elsewhere. Selfish players can find a home on other teams, but they are not compatible with the philosophy of the montreal canadiens, and I for one will support the team in this situation.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

PK’s likely not making this decision, but rather listening to his agent, who is telling him that he can get more.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Exactly he’s just following his agent’s advise if you want to blame anyone blame Meehan. Even with Subban I don’t think this team has all that much of a chance to make the playoffs, just sayin.

• commandant says:

A lot of assumptions that it is PK’s fault and not MB who is quashing the team and season before it starts.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• savethepuck says:

In one sentence you say if PK misses more than a handful of games, playoff hopes are quashed, yet in another sentence you say one player does not make an organization. Which is it? Is he important or not?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• rhino514 says:

I think in the short term, missing a very important player when the team is not highly talented can hurt. Like not having Markov and Gionta hurt last season.
        But i like the direction the team is going in since MB took over. We have many more promising prospects on the horizon than just a year ago. If an organization is solid from top to bottom; if they develop players well, but also create an attractive environment for players to want to play in and do all the other things that good organizations do, there will always be players who can come up, or come in, and take the place of a good player who has departed.
        I think if we try to build in this way, then when the next PK comes along, we will have options.
        Same as i´ve found true in life; NEVER deal from a position of weakness. Right now, Subban is the only real complete Dman on the team or in the system and he knows it. Hence we are scared to lose him, hence we are dealing from a position of weakness.

• ABHabsfan says:

I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of your post, however there are selfish players on every team, even solid, successful ones. You mention Drew Doughty (and I don’t think PK is as good as Doughty, right now anyway) he held out and held his team hostage in a very selfish manner. Signed for big bucks in the end and went on to win the Cup. I think you have to qualify a Cup winner as a solid, successful franchise.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• jedimyrmidon says:

Somehow I get the feeling that MB doesn’t want to break the bridge contract structure while Meehan is asking for both term and money at this point. Hence them being far apart.

• bwoar says:

Ho boy here we go: #blamesubban

“thoroughbred”

• rhino514 says:

OK I didn´t know that about Doughty. Yes, they won the Cup so you can win with selfish players. But i just don´t think it´s the right way for the Montreal Canadiens to win. Egos just don´t blend in well in this organization; There is an integrity to uphold based on this marvelous history that we have.
      and thanks for pointing out that it could be Meehan and not PK; but if that´s so it´s quite incredible the power that an agent can have and how he can actually impede a player from signing with his team. for whatever reason Meehan, or someone else, sems to have alot of influence on PK-

• bigtimehockey says:

“In fact, if Subban isn´t in the lineup by game 5, I would not want him back on my team in any way, shape or form.”

Business is business.

Unfortunately, we saw that in spades very clearly with the recent lockout.

21. Habilis says:

Dumba makes the Wild: http://t.co/hWuS5zmu

Kid gets cut from the WJC squad but makes the Wild. Good for him.

Looks like there’ll be a few players from last year’s draft in the NHL this year, at least to start. There’s Yak, Dumba, Gally (fingers crossed) and Grigorenko is still in Buffalo’s camp unless I’m mistaken. Am I missing any?

22. jedimyrmidon says:

Another RFA defenseman signed:
    Dmitry Kulikov signed for two years

23. savethepuck says:

I am familiar with a lot that has changed from the old to the new CBA but obviously not everything. I admit I am unclear on how escrow will affect the contracts over the next few years and I’m not interested in taking a course to figure it out, but does anyone know if anything has changed regarding large bonus amounts as a part of a salary? The reason I ask is that if one of the major hurdles in getting PK signed is the Cap implications for the Habs next season when it drops to 64.7 M, and how a large contract will hinder us next season, why can’t they give PK a contract where the first year is mostly bonus $’s. For math purposes, let’s say his first year is at 4 M of bonus and 1 M of salary. The 5 M for the first year would be calculated as per # of years for the rest of the contract but he would actually get 4 M plus 48/82 of 1 M ( 4.585 M ). That is equivalent to a first year salary of 7.8 M based on being prorated. Is this allowed?
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

I will view this season as a success if we finish in the bottom 5 of the league. Mock me all you want, i have a crystal ball. I know the future, and it is BLACK.

JT gives her thoughts on Galchenyuk (1st article) and Subban (second article).

25. SlovakHab says:

Doesn’t sound very good.
    And I am starting to get sick of that PK drama.

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    “Nothing new,” @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan texts me of negotiations with #Habs that we can assume are now fully stalled

26. Captain aHab says:

So anybody know if reporters get cookies and coffee now at Habs pressers? Or is the Goat Regime still in place?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Nobody is going to sign Gomez. OK. Maybe some idiot. IMO, Gomez would not be able to play 10 games without tweaking his groin. Watch some video of him skating at one of the few practices he participated in this year before he got sent home. He’s done. If he was worth anything he would have been taken by some team when he was put on waivers. Nobody thinks he’s worth 3.7 million dollars. I’d be hard pressed to see anybody even offer him 1 million. He would be a 5th line centre on any NHL team’s depth chart. Maybe he’ll end up in Europe… if he’s lucky.

As for PK Subban. The Habs should offer him a 2 year deal at 3.5 million and if he doesn’t take it sit him out. If he truly think he’s worth Drew Doughty money let him prove it in the next two years because up to now he hasn’t. Playing big minutes means nothing. Last season Subban was single handedly responsible for at least 10 losses due to his on ice antics. I want him on the team. Not at any cost. If he doesn’t sign soon, I hope the Habs are ready to play some real hard ball. They own his rights and should he be traded it should be for some real value.

• Habfan10912 says:

As for Gomez, anybody who has seen him play would not be interested but this Chicago rumor might have some teeth to it. We are talking about the goat aren’t we?

———————————–

• K-hab25 says:

Man you and I our on the same page regarding PK. He can take the bridge option or he can sit home. I don’t understand people showing more loyalty to Subban, than the team. Price is my favorite player and when he was an RFA 2 years ago, I said the same thing. People were claiming Gainey, who wasn’t even the GM, was going to give Price 5mil or 6mil on a long term deal. I remember thinking “Say what? Why?” he has no other options than to take what we offer and if he doesn’t like it, he can sit home. I guess I’m just always surprised when people side with what’s best for the player, rather than what’s best for the team.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I can’t go 24 hours without “tweaking” my groin.

Oh wait. What were your referring to?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

28. dorvalhabsfan says:

What I’m kinda curious about, is how Toronto can even Lure luongo away? trade grabovski? i feel they would have to part with more then what they can give… unless their going to trade 1st rounders again, they don’t have any real stellar prospects, and no great players on the NHL team

Go Habs Go

• Say Ash says:

More of a dump from Vancouver’s side, no?

• dorvalhabsfan says:

Why just dump an all star calibre goalie? Would we trade Price, for what would amount to minimal impact players if Budaj had one stellar season ?

Go Habs Go

• Say Ash says:

You think Schneider and Budaj are equals?

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

You think Price and Luongo are equals?

• dorvalhabsfan says:

not equals but comparables, and no i dont think budaj = schneider, but i would if Budaj had one great season like Schneider..

Go Habs Go

• K-hab25 says:

Nope, Price is 25 and Luongo is what, 33 or 34, there value is like Cole vs Pacioretty. Both produce similarly, but their ages make a huge difference in value.

• Habfan10912 says:

Perhaps the Canucks no longer feel he is an All star caliber keeper. That said, I doubt they’re going to give him away. I’m surprised they haven’t moved him as yet.

———————————–

• dorvalhabsfan says:

goalies work on a different progression for age.. NHL goalies generally dont decline at 32 like a forward defencman would.. and in terms of productivity, well i’m pretty sure that’s what matters most. but everyone here is missing the point.. because Luongo has nothing to do with Price.. wouold YOU put your eggs in our backups basket if he has a great 2013 season? if you agree with that sentiment what would T.O have to give up? their on the hunt apparently but i don’t think they have worthwhile talent for Luongo ? he STILL all star calibre, and is worth more then a kadri, bozak and a prospect

Go Habs Go

• Hobie Hansen says:

Vancouver and their fans seem to think Schneider is the real deal. I guess Vancouver wants to get rid of him and his cap hit plus end all the nonsense he creates.

The Vancouver fans are idiots…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hobie, to be fair, Roberto isn’t responsible for the “nonsense he creates”. You would be more precise if you said, “the nonsense the Vancouver media create due to his presence in the lineup alongside a cheaper goaltender of arguable equal value”. Roberto hasn’t made waves or whined or anything.

• Cal says:

It’s all about the cap hit until 2020. 7 more years. Geez, anyone taking Luongo better win a Cup or two at that price.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

In reference to John Bellyfull’s Scan-a-Scroll app, something which could come in really handy when you’re trying to catch up on numerous threads and hundreds of post, I’ve had to develop an internal faculty that serves in much the same way. Until his app comes out of beta-testing.

One easy way is to skip over the essentially illiterate posts of the very few (thankfully) on this site whose online emesis is devoid of punctuation and capitalization, but riddled with apostrophe’s, a’plenty, just ‘cau’se. Very quickly, after developing brain lock trying to interpret what the poster was getting at, I learned to skip over these posts entirely.

Also, you learn that some posters are abusive and mean, sometimes bigoted and inflammatory. If you’re lucky, you catch their handle before you invest the time to read what’s up their craw. A distinctive avatar is very helpful in these cases. I’m sure my Chargers bolt logo saves untold readers of this forum oodles of aggravation.

Another way to rationalize one’s HIO efforts was to steer clear of the Scott Gomez debate. While it was entirely clear what the necessary course of action would be halfway through his second season with les Glorieux, we spent, conservatively, 10% of our GDP* on what we should do with him. While for a very short while it was good fun to wrestle in that mire, most quickly grew weary of it and moved on to other more fruitful pursuits, like ruing the loss of Ryan McDonagh. Which was perilously close to falling back in, but still.

Except that while most sane posters had moved on, there was an incessant clamour from, at first, the ‘I love Scott Gomez’ kid, who was immediately followed by another notorious troll. Now, there was no logic or reasoning provided for their certainty that Mr. Gomez wouldn’t be bought out on a CBA amnesty/sent down to Hamilton, but their profligate yammering constituted an opposing viewpoint, incredible as it might be, that some of us relented and felt must be heeded.

So, to my astonishment, some posters this summer and fall gave weight to the theory that Mr. Gomez might, potentially, be used on the wing on the third line, because you couldn’t disrespect him and put him on the fourth line, him, a Stanley Cup winner, or send him to the pressbox or the AHL, and that his connection to Brian Gionta might be useful, when you think about it, his experience and veteran leadership and excellence in the dressing room could contribute to the success of the team… Well-intentioned posters, many of who serve as peacemakers and buffers on this site by being courteous and indulgent to some of the more extreme voices on here, showed flexibility and included that eventuality in the discourse.

Well, not no longer. Finally. We’re done with that. All of us gained at least ten more minutes of useful time in our day by not being trolled on this subject anymore. Hallelujah.

But anyway, seriously, how good would Ryan McDonagh look on the Habs’ blue line right now….

(*= Gross Digital Product)

———————————————————————–

30. Captain aHab says:

OK so what happens if the Habs can’t agree with the Subban camp and there are no offer sheets? Does he sit around with a thumb up his butt? Or is there arbitration?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

pretty much, Alexei Yashin would be an excellent example

Go Habs Go

• ABHabsfan says:

Thumb up butt is an apt desciption, no arbitration rights after only 2 years in the NHL. Of course he could always go back and work for Sportsnet

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Remember when Sather leg Moog sit out for most of the year? Don’t expect it to happen here. MB is defining the culture of the team going forward – there will eventually be a deal for Subban, but not on Subban’s terms.

31. Andy and the habs says:

Anybody know if the game tonight will be airing anywhere?

Tim Connolly placed on waivers at the age of 31.

Sublime skills but major issues with injuries and attitude. He also makes 4.75M a season for Toronto. Why? Only one reason, because the team is lousy which leads to desperation. Surely a lesson there for the Habs.

BTW, does this reporter understand that Connolly isn’t signed for next season? In which case the accelerated buyout serves no purpose (that I can see).

• Morenz7 says:

Dreger’s now saying he won’t be bought out and will report to the Marlies.

I suppose, though, that the Leaf’s could have extended it to him as a gesture of good will. They’re $8M under the cap already, and it would have allowed Connolly the chance to sign elsewhere at a more reasonable salary. Komi’s the only problem contract on their books just now, and you can bet they’re keeping the other buyout in their back pocket for him.

33. jedimyrmidon says:

@DaveStubbs: Something else frozen solid today: contract talks between #Habs and Camp Subban

Us Habs fans get a double-dose of lockout fun. Gotta love hearing that both sides aren’t talking to each other.

Also fun: getting “locked out” of HIO page with Forbidden

34. Chuck says:

Woohoo! Hockey season is getting close! Just got my first ‘Forbidden’ HI/O message of the year!

___________________________________________________

35. derfab says:

Habs strategy to sign Subban: create a rumour that implies he is difficult to coach and hope he is so impulsive and hyper and obnoxious and says bad words about other boys moms so he will sign for less

Result of Habs strategy: Philly and T.O. are 2 teams in a growing line scrambling to outbid the Habs and others while new discussions are about how many french sounding names can be acquired as compensation for giving up a player who wil be a Norris trophy candidate/winner for at least the next decade.

Bravo les boys!

36. Say Ash says:

Dear PK,

Please sign, if not for anything else but my hockey pool.

37. Chuck says:

Who is going to officiate tonight’s game? Gomez, Blunden and St. Denis?

___________________________________________________

38. shiram says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
    Sure sounds like #Stars deal with Jamie Benn getting finalized. Latest Dal offer I heard was 33M. Look for cap hit around 5.5M for 5/6 yrs

39. Danno says:

On sale now:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

40. tippytoes says:

Well said Lancer

41. petrov14 says:

What, no links to Gomez tribute videos?

______________________________________
    Long live Captain Gionta.

42. frontenac1 says:

Rumours going around Chicago from Spector and Jaeckel that the Hawks are thinking of adding Gomez once the buyout is done. My buddy the Hawks fan texted me this and he started saying some pretty bad words. He said “Stan Bowman let Bergevin walk, we get The Goat and Now Gomez?Those were the only words that I can safely print. And you think we got problems? Los Habs Para Siempre!!

43. Lancer says:

That players like Gomez and Redden can leave their respective teams after this situation and be rewarded just goes to show how badly the owners are taken advantage of by the player’s association and players. That those teams pay full salary and are stuck with the full cap hit this year is hard to understand. At the very least the new signing salaries should come off their former team’s cap!

44. dano58 says:

Who cares where Gomez goes as we all wanted the contract gone and it is now so bye bye. He will get an extra check as he wouldn’t have left here were it not for his outlandish contract. He is worth 1mil as a 4th or 3rd line ctr. Hopefully he goes west to Cammy territory and we don’t see him for another year.

GO HABS GO!!!

• Say Ash says:

If he goes to a division rival and does well against the Habs, you might think differently. Insisting that he not play at all was the right move.

• dano58 says:

If he does well against us M/T will blow a gasket after one period and Prust or White will blast him hard so he doesn’t haunt us again. No way Habs will allow that to happen no matter “how good he was in the locker room”. The No Excuses banner will apply to him not haunting us no matter where he goes. Besides his best days are behind him by a long ways and if he goes to a team we play he will tweak his groin and miss the season with them as well.

GO HABS GO!!!

Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.
        Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I want what I can’t have. Now that I don’t have Gomez, I want him bac….

pfffffffft. pfffffffft. BWhahahahaha HOHOHOHOHO prrrrrrrrRRRRRP :o

Oh man, I couldn’t finish that one. I think I may have sharted

So a BlackHawk blogger from Hockeybuzz is saying they are interested in Gomez.

Wonder if PG will sing “Reunited and it feels so good” When Scott arrives…..

And filed under where have your heard this before: Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail says the following:

Fact is, I believe if they can Luongo, that will make it far easier to lure prospective free agents to Toronto. This would be my master plan if I were Dave Nonis: Trade for Luongo now, get my salary-cap in order and then make a big big pitch to land both Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf next summer.

46. myron.selby says:

How can you tell hockey season is about to start? All the trolls have come out from under their bridges and started adding their inimitable insights to HIO. And there really is a bumper crop of them this year.

47. Strummer says:

Blame Mats Sundin for the Gomez fiasco!

If Gainey had signed him when he got exclusive negotiating rights from the Leafs, he wouldn’t have had the cap room for Gomez. We’d still have McDonagh and Sather would have found some other sucker.

Edit: And we would have had a #1 centre!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

48. commandant says:

Max is frustrated with the Rangers (and others) who raised ticket prices this season.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

49. Say Ash says:

I bet the Panthers regret not keeping Huberdeau with the team last year. I wonder if we’ll make the same mistake.

50. jols101 says:

Chatter on Twiter that Habs and Subban have made major break through in contract negotiations. Probably a bunch of BS but it would be nice if true.

We should be due for a new thread by now shouldn’t we?

52. rhino514 says:

So what´s the deal if PK starts holding out? When is another team allowed to sign him? after the season, or is it after two seasons?

• Luke says:

PK is not holding out. He is a Restricted Free Agent without a contract.

Any team can offer PK a contract/sign him to an offer sheet right now if they were so inclined.

53. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

We had better get some picks for pacioretty,Cole,Price,Subban’s rights,etc before we go into a dark era of the inevatable rebuild.

THE FUTURE IS BLACK

TANK FOR MCKIMMION!!!!!!!

54. jedimyrmidon says:

Shootout at the end of the scrimmage game tonight. Wonder how much pressure Galchenyuk will feel to deliver in that respect (or what the expectations will be of those who know what he can do).

55. koivu4pm says:

Was sad reading the Red Fisher article about signing gomez and not signing Koivu… I sure do miss Koivu

• Hobie Hansen says:

Great man that got forced into being the team’s first line center, due to management’s incompetence. He would have been the ultimate 2nd line center. Koivu not Gomez.

• Cal says:

That’s why I never understood Price over Kopitar in that draft of 2005. But that’s water that has long passed under the bridge. It’s kind of a shame we really still don’t have a bonafide #1 center, but they are rarer than moon rocks these days.

• koivu4pm says:

To further on why I hated gomez… well, the reasons are endless… but here are a few, got rid of koivu, got gomez… next season gomez takes koivus old number… that was all garbage, that on top of gomez sucking… and to top it off (even before the whole not scoring in a calendar year) being a -3 going in to overtime of 3-3 tied game seven against boston.

• bleedhabs81 says:

That article makes me dislike the Gomez fiasco that much more (not Gomez the man, just Gomez the player/contract). Letting Saku go because you had Gomez now… leaves a real bitter taste

I know this was not the only reason for letting Saku go, but still… bitter pill.

• Mustang says:

At the time they were moaning about Gomez only scoring 16 goals each of the previous 2 years. Gainey didn’t seem to understand that 16 goals were the good old days for Gomez, not a slump that he was going to get out of in a new environment. He was heading downhill FAST.

• Habsrule1 says:

Too bad they had to get Gomez in order to get Gionta & Cammalleri to sign. Makes you wonder why they needed him here to come. If they had known how bad he’d be, they might have insisted the Habs NOT get him if they were to come!

Go Habs Go!!

56. mdp2011 says:

For those wondering about scrimmage being broadcast, RDS will show portions of it.

Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois À tous ceux qui me posent la question: des portions du match blanc-rouge seront retransmises par RDS dans le cadre de #aujeu.

57. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

I’m getting a wee bit excited about how the Habs look this year. I didn’t think Gally would stick (and he still may not), but the thought of him playing left wing with Pleks and Gionta gives us a bonafide second scoring line. Eller with Moen and Bourque – could be fairly productive. White/Prust/Armstrong – that’s a physical beating waiting to happen for anyone they play against, plus they have some offensive ability.

Defense is unsettled in my opinion, but I really like the addition of Bouillon. He may not be as good as he once was, but if you wanted to change the compete level of the defense, he’s the right guy – he’ll bring it every night. If/when PK gets signed things will be a lot better. Here’s hoping Markhov is as good defensively as he was in the past.

If Gally is good enough to stick, it changes a lot of things. If not, I’m not as optimisitic. Weird how one 19 year old might be the difference maker for the habs season.

58. mdp2011 says:

For all the Kovy fans out there.

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey Florida Panthers are close to signing Alex Kovalev to a contract. Deal not done yet but close.

• shiram says:

Apparently to play on their second line with Huberdeau and Mueller.

• Mattyleg says:

Good for him. Loved The Artiste when he was here, for better or for worse.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• aemarchand11 says:

I convinced a guy in the hockey pool to use his last pick on Kovalev, looks like i may not be completely foolish. Might I add that we had 15 people picking one player from each team, t’was slim pickings at the end.

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s the kind of pool I do. Did you guys get together to pick or do it online?
        There’s something special about getting together for beers and picking a hockey pool. Much prefer it to the online/yahoo pools.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

LOL!!
      How desperate are the Panthers?

• Habsrule1 says:

What Kovy fans?

Just kidding. I liked him for the most part.

Go Habs Go!!

59. These guys are on waivers right now — not a lot of diamonds in the rough here: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/17/3886982/nhl-waiver-wire-2013

60. shiram says:

Walked around the Bell Center for my lunch hour, there’s a ton of people waiting to see tonight’s practice, families with small kids in strollers too, in this cold!
    The Zone Canadiens was doing great business as well, lots jerseys coming off the racks, plenty of Subban’s remaining though…

• mdp2011 says:

Yup, those must be all the upset fans who said they would never buy or attend another NHL game, they’re really sticking it to the NHL and the Habs.

• shiram says:

Bah I’m past the bitterness stuff, I’m just glad I get to hang out with my buddies on saturday and watch 2 games while enjoying snacks and such.
        I was just thinking of those small kids waiting another 4-5 hours standing in the cold…

• Habsrule1 says:

If the beer companies all went on strike for what you perceived as “dumb” reasons, would you give up beer when they got back to work (assuming you drink beer)?

Me either.

Go Habs Go!!

• B says:

Holland is in Montreal to play in tonight’s scrimmage. He should be back in Hamilton in time for their game against the Marlies on Saturday.

–Go Habs Go!–

61. Sportfan says:

Oh wow St-Denis and Blunden on waivers :s thats to bad, but expected hopefully St-Denis doesn’t get picked up for now.

62. Ozmodiar says:

Intra-squad game. On the radio. Can’t wait. :roll:

#funstuff

63. twilighthours says:

Too many threads. Can’t keep up. Must go back to work now.

64. Habhopeful says:

can anyone confirm if the scrimmage tonight will be on RDS?

Could have sworn they said they would but looking at TV schedule, doesnt seem like thats the case or did i get mixed up with the game day skates on saturday?

65. Loonie says:

Steven Hindle at hockeybuzz with a very convincing piece that Galchenyuk will stick.

He bases it on the fact that through four days of a six day camp. Galchenyuk has been with Gionta and hasn’t moved off of the second line.

66. Le Jadester says:

WTF ?
    Nothing on PK ?

Habs, OLE !

67. Mike Bone says:

I found it interesting that Therrien had Gally wowing people at shootouts, then said it’d take more than shootout skills for him to stick. While I understand what he meant, I’m not sure he realized the Habs lost 12 shootouts…more than anyone else in the league. In the end, it didn’t matter because the Habs sucked in so many other ways. But if they’d been close to a playoff spot, having a player who can win shootouts could have made a big difference. You can’t underestimate the effect of Bettman’s gimmick.

I would rather have Gally for nothing but shootouts than Gomez on a regular shift. He’d make a bigger impact.

• Habsrule1 says:

What Gomez did or didn’t do on this team has nothing to do with Therrien.
      I think people would be a little more outraged at Therrien saying something like “no matter what else this kid can do, if he scores in shootouts in practice, he’ll stick on the big club”.

I’m almost positive Therrien realizes the Habs sucked in shootouts as well as everything else your average fan is aware of, and likley a lot more. I’m not sure how well he’ll do, but trying to find something negative about him is getting a bit tired.

Go Habs Go!!

• commandant says:

You don’t keep a prospect at 18 years old (19 in February) to sit on the bench and play shootouts.

If he’s earning his regular ice time… he stays (and helps in shootouts).

If he’s not ready for regular NHL ice time, send him down.

I don’t think you can rush a kid who is ready… but if you aren’t playing a kid and have him stapled to the bench, thats bad development. (I’m not even talking about the odd healthy scratch to help him learn, which can be healthy. I’m talking that he should play top 9 minutes on average).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

68. jols101 says:

Cody Ceci has been returned to the OHL. Not a big surprise.

Boone Jenner also released by Columbus and is returning to the Oshawa Generals of the OHL. A little surprised by this, I was almost certain he would get a 5 game look. Columbus is terrible and Jenner has dominated in the OHL this year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Jenner part is surprising for sure. He’s extremely stong on his skates and I figured he would have stuck the entire season on the 3rd line.

Maybe since Oshawa has such a good team the Jackets staff figured he’d benefit from a long playoff run down there?

• Bripro says:

They should exchange divisions.
        Have the Generals play in the NHL, and send Columbus to the OHL.
        They’d offer a better show.

• jols101 says:

Ya, that was my thinking as well. He is a big, physical guy and certainly has some skill, 30 goals in 34 games for the Generals. I would think a team like Columbus would need a guy like him for a 3rd line center role.

• B says:

The Islanders are sending Strome back, I thought he might get a longer look. I am guessing center Brock Nelson (who played with Kristo last season) will stick around there though.

–Go Habs Go!–

• jols101 says:

Just occurred to me that with Strome and Jenner it might be financial considerations as well. The Isles and Columbus are both cash strapped organizations and maybe they feel burning a year off an ELC for a 48 game sked isn’t worth it.

69. jon514 says:

Hey guys. Can anyone explain how offer sheets work this year?
    Does the new CBA alter them in any way?
    Am I correct in my understanding that if a team offers Subban 6years at greater than 30M and he signs it, we can expect 4 first round picks as compensation?

Thanks,

Jon514

70. Mattyleg says:

Wow! A new thread. All squeaky clean.
    Untarnished with comments, unspoilt by nonsense.

Ahhh…. smell that?
    Smells like… peace…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

71. Habsrule1 says:

First? Probably not.

Go Habs Go!!

72. Cal says:

Taking a hasbeen that can no longer skate without that knee going wonky is not terribly astute.
    We’ll see if Kovy actually tries or not.

73. Cal says:

Ok, but you said to. You’re crazy! ;)
    Seriously, this is a spot for a developing scorer not an old man who thinks he can keep playing.

74. Habfan10912 says:

I would add how the heck are we suppose to win without PK?

———————————–

75. SlovakHab says:

Nothing great for the Habs, really.
    Just a chance for Gomez to play this season and collect another salary.

NHL hockey players must be the most pampered employees on this planet.

76. frontenac1 says:

Maybe because he sucked and snickered on the bench while his team mates were getting the sh*t beat out of them in Boston?

77. frontenac1 says:

I loved Staubitz too. Water under the bridge now amigo.

78. VancouverHab says:

Assuming he means “Opinions can [turn out to be] wrong or they can [turn out to be] right.”

But you are absolutely right properly speaking.