Gomez clears waivers, becomes unrestricted free agent

Scottweb

Scott Gomez cleared waivers Thursday and can now officially be bought out by the Canadiens.

Under an NHL side deal adopted on Tuesday to the new CBA, teams can buy out one player with a salary-cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins, but first the player had to clear waivers.

Gomez, who becomes an unrestricted free agent after a buyout, is owed $10 million over the next two seasons and carries a salary-cap hit of nearly $7.5 million.

In the new CBA, clubs were allowed two “compliance” buyouts to take place during the 2013 and/or 2014 offseasons in order to ease the transition to a lower salary cap. The new agreement lets teams to use one of those compliance buyouts before the start of this season, but the player’s full salary for 2012-13 will count against the team’s cap.

Read more by clicking here.

Read what The Gazette’s Pat Hickey and Red Fisher had to say when former Habs GM Bob Gainey acquired Gomez and his monster contract from the New York Rangers in the summer of 2009 by clicking here.

In other news, the Canadiens placed forward Mike Blunden and defenceman Frederic St. Denis on waivers Thursday. If they clear waivers, they are expected to join the Hamilton Bulldogs.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. Michel Therrien says:

You

2. gordon bombay says:

First Period Notes:

HERO’S: Bouillion, Moen, Desharnais

ZERO’S: Kaberle, Subban, Gomez

3. Bripro says:

I can’t say that anyone really shines, but Max and Eller are playing well.
    Cole didn’t like having Eller strip him of the puck and went after him.
    Kaberlazy already looks like he’s out of gas. I would have thought otherwise (place sarcastic face here).

4. Hobie Hansen says:

Watching the game on Habs TV with no commentary reminds me of how nice it would be to have the option to turn off the commentators on regular TV.

With the sound systems most people have in their living rooms, it would be great to turn down the commentary cuz it would feel like you were at the game!

• HardHabits says:

If you have a 7.1 system it can be done. Not sure if 5.1 or 3.1 can handle it. I watch the games on RDS and CBC with no commentary all the time. One of the speakers is all commentary. Turn that one down and it’s like being there. You can often here some fans comments as if they were right behind you.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh really it can be done eh? Pretty sure mine is 5.1 hmmmm

• ZepFan2 says:

Thanks for the info. I’ll try it out Saturday night.

I guess it’s the center speaker I turn down, right?

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

• Hobie Hansen says:

If you can’t figure how to turn it down I guess you could just unplug it lol?

• ZepFan2 says:

Yeah, thanks for the help, Hobie. :smile:

Godamn smartass.

:wink:

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t know how to turn mine down! :-).
            I don’t have the video output setup on mine and I don’t have many options from my remote.

• ZepFan2 says:

:lol:

So basically your post to me was actually meant for you.

I’m a little luckier then you. My remote works a-okay.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

• Bripro says:

Time for you to get a universal remote.
            Those things do it all. And if you can’t link to the original remote,
            you can go online and get the code for each function.
            If you have a 7.1 but it’s only set up as a 5.1 (no rear speakers), then the commentary comes through 80% centre, 20% front speakers. At least, that’s how mine works.
            So you can’t completely mute the commentators unless you have a remote that can mute speakers individually.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I have the fiber optic sound cable going from the Rogers box into the TV, I think? The HDMI cables from the PS3 and the Rogers Box going into the TV. Then another Fibre Optic Cable going to my sound system from the TV. There is a video display on my sound system but I don’t have it hooked to the television but I believe i could mute my 5 speakers and sub from there?

• Bripro says:

:D
            It took me a second. I had to scroll a bit.

• K-hab25 says:

Is your feed moving in slow motion too?

5. Bripro says:

The Chemistry is still there baby!
    A sweet play from the top line.

6. Steven says:

Looks like DD and Patches still have their magic. Cole was ok, too.

Bourque had a nifty play there before.

7. Bripro says:

:D
    Fans are booing a non-call and yelling Go Habs Go.
    And Bourque just put one upstairs. I hope he does that in the season.

Thought I’d drop by to see what all the fuss is about and I count 18 comments on one page alone from HIO’s resident Loonie-tic. I work for a living so I barely have time to read 18 comments let alone spend my day repeating the same arguments over and over again until I am Loonie in the face. So I decided to crank up the Loonie-matic and see what good old Loona-Canadien had to say this increasingly frosty day.

You see. Loonie is really clever. Everybody thinks he is trying to do everything in the world to see Subban signed, but truth is he really wants him traded.

Take a look see as I pop the BaLoonie:

Things are pretty bad if
    I get control of his meds
    It would be a miracle
    if
    I don’t
    just hate Bergevin
    be honest
    we’ll find out soon
    My argument is predicated on
    your lack of comprehension and cognitive ability
    I
    hate PK Subban
    And here’s why
    Fact: One of Subban’s closest friends
    haven’t spoken in two days
    the sole party to blame
    the lockout
    I hate Bergevin
    I feel that the
    he’s
    in no position
    to trade him
    but
    that’s me hating Bergevin
    I was speculating
    to be clear
    that if his goal
    in the most recent draft
    provided rationale
    then I would argue that
    Bergevin’s seen as a savior
    And
    I think Subban is
    a fool
    My theory is
    Bergevin
    can trade Subban
    This is what he is
    early in his career
    a little ashamed to have him on my favourite team

9. Bripro says:

What a sweet pass by Markov.
    His pivots seem pretty effortless so far.

10. CF says:

Adam Pardy put on waivers by Buffalo. I believe he’s signed for aprox 1.5 for one more year.
    I guess taking on salary is not in our best interest, but he’s a NL boy who stands at 6’4″ and weighs 220 lbs. Maybe he could clear the net a little??

11. The Cat says:

Gomez is a lot of things but he was the only hab that confronted Chara after the hit on Paciorrety. He wasnt as good as his contract was but he wasnt as bad as people say he is/was either. Lack of team depth shouldve been the real scapegoat.

12. CCL says:

If the Habs can stay away from injuries. they’ll hold their own. how far they’ll go. no idea but I think they’ll be better to watch than last year. looks like they have four balance lines. should be interesting.