Gomez on ‘snubbing’ of Subban

As the story goes, Canadiens Scott Gomez set up P.K. Subban for the overtime winner Monday in Montreal’s 5-4 win over Calgary, then snubbed Subban when the latter skated near in the ensuing celebration.

Today, Gomez told reporters after practice that blowing a 4-0 lead at this point in the season isn’t much a cause for celebration, and that he and his teammates had their good fun with Subban off the ice in the dressing room.

Here’s Gomez in his own words. Not that they’ll do much to soothe the conspiracy theorists out there…

1. PeterD says:

I’m hoping it happens…but Jerome’s salary and length of contract will be a problem unless we shed serious salary cap in the process.

Maybe Calgary would take Gomez as well…now that is unlikely…but just maybe…

2. BJ says:

Probably not. But certainly an interesting speculation. I’m always a bit hesitant to trade youth for a few years service. But a superstar always trumps several decent players. Although he is getting on in age.

3. zak says:

Iggy makes 7 mil a year. Where would he fit into the cap? What would we do next year. If we could trade our 7 mil man for Iggy it would be a great trade. He has 19 goals and the fans here think he should be traded but Feaster says Iggy’s not up for trade.

You are an idiot. They are not fans. They are team mates.

5. Haboholic11 says:

I know someone close to Gomez.

And sorry to break it to you guys, but these rumors are true.  Gomez (and others on the team) are not a fan of Subban or Price.

You can believe it or not.

6. Propwash says:

Will never happen.

7. zak says:

Check out Habsaddict.com for some great insights on the habs. Addicts alley ” Have the habs lost touch with the fans”

8. BJ says:

Just listening to CKAC and there are rumors of Iginla to Montreal and perhaps Ramo being part of the package. I guess we’ll know in the next month if its a dream. But he would fit in well here.

9. savethepuck says:

I listened to the interview with Gomez.  Is there nothing else more important going on with this hockey team that we can discuss.  What a ridiculous blown out of proportion topic.

The Red Wings are close to signing Nabokov (rumoured 575,000 pro-rated).  Does this mean another team will put in a claim seeing that Nabokov has to clear waivers?  How about Chicago, seeing that Turco has stumbled?  Is this the end of the line for Osgood?  Is there more to this contract than meets the eye? Is it for more than one (promised) year? Do the Wings feel that Howard is good, but not good enough, even if he plays in front of a great defensive team?

Lots of questions.

11. LA Loyalist says:

i was born in Toronto, I lived in Montreal for a long time and I’ve been in LA for 10 years.

I’ve been a Habs fan since ’84, I loved the Pat Burns team and the Demers team. I was so excited when Gainey took over the Habs.

What I admire in a hockey player is making the most of the their talent and their commitment to the game and their team. When I see a talented player like Kostitsyn the younger it makes me sad and crazy.

i admire Koivu for his effort on not very good teams, and for how he handled himself and overcame personal adversity.

I did not push my son to play hockey (he’s 8) but now that he is, I’ve encouraged him to model himself on Koivu partly because of proximity (we can see him play and he’s met him) but as an example of team play and character.

And you know what? My kid protects the smaller players on his team, he backchecks, he wins almost all his face-offs, and he passes and he scores. Unusual for his age when most kids are trying to do everything themselves.

Because more than wanting him to be a star hockey player, I want him to be loyal to his team mates and to have character and leadership ability that will survive if he loses interest in hockey or isn’t good enough.

That’s why we admire Koivu.

As for commenting on the team and management, 2 points, I take the tradition of the Habs very seriously, it’s almost unique in sports and when I see millionaire players mailing it in against Columbus or the Islanders it bothers me. I think as fans we have as much rights as shareholders in a public company to express our displeasure with management or players who aren’t giving 100%.

Sometimes I’m wrong. I was wrong about Price last year I didn’t think he would straighten out, I thought he was a talented head case. I still don’t think we got enough for Halak but I support Price 100% and think we can win a cup with him. Sometimes Serious will chew me out and I’ll re-think something. I’m not carved in stone.

All I ask from Habs or my kid is that they leave it all on the ice, win, lose or loser point.

That’s it. And I’d happily buy you a beer.

12. A. Berke says:

If I weren’t turning 69 next week and hadn’t seen any perfect (or less than perfect) attitudes in my life, I would have (maybe) agreed with what you say.

13. A. Berke says:

HH,

IMHO Gomer is paid 7.4 mil per to make several good passes each and every period (not once in awhile).

Blowing 4 goal lead wasn’t Subban’s fault, in fact he was probably one of the best players in the game and furthermore, it was his right to celebrate the winner in OT (I gues you never seen Ovi or Sid celebrating and they’re not even rookies). Gomer’s act was stupid and inappropriate.

Just saying.

Ali B.

14. Habsrule1 says:

I know. I was referring to the UFA’s who signed here once we got him, particularly Gionta & Cammalleri, but even guys like Gill & Spacek were hard to come by before we got serious and picked up a leader and well respected player like Gomez.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

15. LA Loyalist says:

Oh my!!! is right. It was a nice simple pass. It’s not like he threaded through two guys or had to saucer it over a stick.

PK didn’t blow a 4 goal lead. It’s the rest of the team who should get bag-skated.

16. LA Loyalist says:

Please don’t tell us where you put those 30 or 40 ski glove warmers when you get home.

I’m still processing the hanging flesh post from above. :-)

17. ZepFan2 says:

That was then, this is now, Mr. sticky pants. Long live “The Subban Hood™”!

18. zak says:

Gainey traded for him.

19. Jonson says:

damn exciting?? i really havent seen this year.

20. ed lopaz says:

Thanks for the wisdom LA Loyalist. We agree again!!

The Saku Koivu era is the Habs very own version of the Dark Ages. The Habs are in a Renaissance now.

The problem with that era is that Saku was the heart. He and he alone.

Gomez is not the heart of the Habs, he doesn’t pretend to be. He is however part of the team’s core, just like Cammy, Gionta, and Plex. Those players plus all the rest make the heart. It’s a team heart. Not a one player being the heart thing anymore.

The team had a heart transplant, for the better.

22. The Cat says:

I used to take care of a store many years ago and we sold some sort of pretty looking elaborate plastic closet organizer kit thingys that would solve all your lack of closet space woes for 75$, the cost of it was 7$-11$ depending on the model, and they sold fast. I was amazed, I thought theyd never sell.

23. Danno says:

That is why they are also known as Crappy Tire

24. Rugger says:

Many years ago, I got the opportunity to visit a tomato processing plant in Ohio (owned by the inventor of Fuzzbuster).  He walked us thru it and near the end, the labels were put on the cans.  We looked at one of the cans and it was something like Del Monte.  The owner said that in a few minutes they were switching to the Safeway generic brand.  Same tomatos, 30-40 cent difference in the store.  I haven’t bought brand name produce since.

25. The Cat says:

I bought some small cones for hockey practice at 1$ each. I dont know if thats a good deal or not but it seems like it is!

26. Hagar says:

I’ve been pissy on these boards occasionally (probably more often than I normally am in real life. It must be the anonymity I have that caused it). You’re bang-on about about free-speech & all that. More is definitely more. You’re crazy if you think free-speech is perfect in this country though or that everyone is on board.

27. fbkj says:

i was able to… broken HIO is broken…

You really don’t know much about the game do you. It’s OK. You’re our token Californian Anaheim fan who has a man-crush on Saku Koivu. It’s all good. There’s a kinda Habs connection there. Welcome to the mad house.

29. OneTimer says:

Sure Gomez is more low-key, but Gionta can be pretty damn exciting for an ‘old’ guy. And both are great players I’m glad to have on the team.

30. fbkj says:

is that a question or a statement?

if it was a question.; yes i did comment

if it was a statement.; haha pwnage

31. Jonson says:

it seems to me that its time for the young kids to take over this team. PK is clearly a SUPERSTAR in the making. WHen is the last time we had a player like this? 70s or 80s? And in this day and age. You see how excited Eller, Desharnains, Weber were. The youngs were loving it, yet some of the old guys  blah. THe new NHL is made to be exciting, electrifying even. Gionta and Gomez are neither. PK is, Cammy is, PLeks is. We have so much talented youth that need to be playing, as much i like this team as is, you can tell the young kids are pushing hard for their spots. The funny thing is that the fans at the bell center the night of PK’s Celebration loved it. Who do they think they are playing for? WE all loved it so Gomez……..SHut up

32. EricInStL says:

I googled <are we racists with pk subban> and I got this,

I guess someone else thinks the same way

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject”–Winston Churchill I am not a fan…..

33. The Cat says:

Part of me thinks theyll be cheap, but another part of me thinks that everythings probably cranked out of the same chinese factory so maybe Canadian Tire and others mark them up way too much.

Of course because Subban scored the goal all on his own. I mean it’s not like Gomez made a great heads up play and pass to set Subban up right. I mean there’s no more lesson to be learned than let me soak up the moment rather than realize that a 4-0 lead shouldn’t need to be settled in OT. It’s a non-issue.

Subban is young and learning. Gomez has experience and has been there. There’s a contrast for goodness sakes. Oh my!!!

35. SmartDog says:

Boom goes the dynamite!

It had to be said…

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

36. SmartDog says:

It’s crazy the sheet you can buy there.  I get my ski glove warmers there now.  I buy 30-40 at once and feel like a dope but I’m saving a bundle.

Never tried the wiper blades though. When they start selling cars, I’ll get one of those.

37. punkster says:

Ahh, yer jist an old fart wit no sense ‘o humour ;)

***Subbang!!!***

38. punkster says:

Now HERE’S a topic of real controversy. What the heck are they trying to do, put one of Canada’s premiere retail businesses out of business? Canadian Tire should be sending droves of concerned employees over there and picket the place.  THE NERVE!

***Subbang!!!***

39. EricInStL says:

If PK was white, no other NHL player would’ve said squat.

I have a feeling the NHL as a whole (veterans and management) doesn’t want their players to be like NBA or NFL players and alienate their white fanbase.

Which is odd considering that the city and province have embraced PK as one of our own, with me speculating that he might become our next captain.

PK is basically the first black hockey player to be an extrovert. All the rest (Iginla, McKegney, Greer, etc) are quiet players.

Are they racists not really, but they want their fanbase (where almost all of the NHL revenue comes from) not be upset.

I think that a team should act like a team and have everyones back. Management should look to the future and see that Subban and Price are the future not Gomez, Gionta and whoever is over 32 years old.

I remember last year, Subban was practically begging to get the puck for a one-timer and either Hammer or Spacek didn’t pass to him when he was wide open. That’s when I knew they were trying to put him in his place.

Time will tell on this one, but this might grow into something bad if not taken care of right away.

40. Habsrule1 says:

I didn’t think there was anything wrong with the celebration. It was a game winning goal. The 2 points were huge, especially after giving up a 4 goal lead, BUT I disagree totally about Gomez. He is a leader and he has shown it. If you listen to sports radio in Montreal you’ll know how dissapointed he is in his season, but he’s trying-that’s obvious from watching. What’s more than that is it was reported that he apologized to the whole team after his penalty against Buffalo. He’s not the first one to take bad penalties that cost games.

I think you hate him for his contract and we all know it’s a bad one, but he brings alot to the team….not to mention how many decent free agents signed here before we got him. We can count them on 1 hand in the past 15 years.

41. The Cat says:

Nevermind this non feud between Gomez and Subban. I got a better topic! I was at Dollarama today with the wife and they now sell wiper blades (2 blades for 2 dollars) Anybody ever try them?

42. habs365 says:

I don’t know if this is true..I’m not in the dressing room or on the ice with these guys..I’m going on the comments on this site..all I’m saying if this is the type of team the Habs have..forget about winning a cup..if they don’t get along with each other..guess cammy was feeding us false information when he said they win as a team and lose as a team..besides I think Gomez is the type that would do something like that..that’s why I actually believe it..he goes around with a smurk on his face like he’s one game away from winning a stanley cup..if I was a player that performs below expectation I wouldn’t be snubbing one of my team mates.

43. Da Hema says:

A healthy dose of reality. Merci!

44. habsfan2442 says:

Yes yes I know… and your right post like you said about crazy trades is sometimes amusing..  My point is there’s a consistant group, that win or loose, NEVER has anything possitive to say..

As for PK and his “flair”  I dono, at first glance I thought it was a bit much, i could see if that was a game 7 or something..

O well… Just wanted to throw my negitive 2 cents into it ;-)

45. Hagar says:

Just looked at Kane’s numbers. Damn. I said I’d take Iggy over Kane. I take it back. No wait, isn’t there another Kane. I think I screwed up. They couldn’t have meant Evander Kane. I’d take Patrick Kane over Iggy.

46. LA Loyalist says:

… for which he can thank Martin Brodeur.

I’m not saying Gomez wasn’t good once, but that bus has left, and he’s not earned his crust in Montreal. That’s the point.

47. ZepFan2 says:

Oh no you can’t! Bwahahahahahaha

48. twocents says:

I can’t believe some are suggesting that because Subban is likely the most exciting and promising player since Lafleur, that he should be allowed to behave however he wants and no one should ever criticize him. That’s ridiculous. You want to ruin him then do just that. He is apprenticing, even more encouraging he is explicitly aware that he is apprenticing.

Regardless of how you view this tempest in a teapot, it’s preposterous to suggest that Subban’s talent should immunize him from the lessons every rookie is taught.

Holy crap, what are you guys writing a treatise on how to develop a primadonna?

As for the other aspect of this premise, young P.K. has a few things to prove before his name should be placed before those of Robinson, Naslund, Chelios, Roy, Koivu, and Markov.

49. mjames says:

As they say “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. I suppose Gomez was exercising his leadership skills when he took that bonehead penalty against Buffalo. Let’s look at the Buffalo fiasco objectively. Gomez was pissed because that little kid got the better of him in their earlier wrestling match. Gomez is no leader. He might think he is but that does not make him a leader. The only thing Gomez leads in is having the worst contract in the NHL.  How many GM’s do you think want to have Gomez on their team?  Gomez becomes valuable when the annual cash payout portion of his contract is significantly below the cap hit. I believe that happens in two years. Maybe Florida or NYI might take him.

mjames

50. LA Loyalist says:

Listen to the crowd when Saku comes out Saturday night.

Listen to the crowd when Gomez comes out Saturday night.

51. Da Hema says:

The price of open forums, habsfan. I must say I don’t find it quite as bad as you. In fact, I usually derive significant amusement from the NHL 11 posters here who think Gauthier can trade Kostitsyn and a third-round pick in return for a Patrick Kane or a Sidney Crosby. Very amusing.

52. notbigbird says:

Actually, the rumor is that we get Iggy but they get PK and Pacman and Carey.  Where Ramo is that next year Ramo will be playing for us. We also have to play Ramo in 70 games next year: anything less, and we have to send Eller and Leblanc too.

53. zak says:

not worth commenting on

54. ZepFan2 says:

Unlike you, I can’t wait to see “The Subban Hood™” again.

55. LA Loyalist says:

We will win a cup with PK Subban long before we will win a cup with Scott Gomez. Sorry to pee on your parade.

It’s the coach’s job and the captain’s job to address the bad play that lead to our collapse.

All Subban did was save our collective ass from being handed to us on a plate. How about thank you? Talk about passing the torch, that goal will be talked about long after Scott Gomez is gone.

He should be chewing out the other players who mailed it in – as they often do, when they think they can coast. He should be chewing out JM for not calling a time out. There is plenty of blame to go around, none of it belongs to Subban.

Maybe if Gomez actually scored once in a while he’d know it is actually an enjoyable thing worth celebrating.

57. habsfan2442 says:

Man If I had 1 penny for every negitive comment I read on this site lately about the team..

Half of you would trade the team away.

Half of you if they win, still find stuff to complain about.

and god forbid if they loose a game..

ya ya , I know dont read the post if I dont like it. Free speach and all that..

But is it really that bad… I think the TEAM is doing just fine.. yes thers issues.. but what team out there has no issues.. NONE.. You can pick any team in the league and you can easly pick them apart..

We are all supposed to be FANS of this team.. Sometimes reading the post I PRAY there not reading..

Chill Everyone .. WE could have the oilers issues or maybe the devils..

58. fbkj says:

did,

it was very boring and out of touch, rife with a lot of silly reaching

59. zak says:

Go read Peter D’s comments

Did you not complain when they traded Cedrick Desjardins for Ramo?

Totally.

62. Haboholic11 says:

Im surprised that you haven’t caught on to gomez’s sarcasm.

Take a look at this video, and let me know if you dont catch any weird interactions between gomez and subban.

Body language alone gives away a lot.

63. fbkj says:

boone got wind of jobs leaving apple so in protest hes converting HIO to flash

Yes, yes. The points per dollar stat. It’s the most important factor not just in determining worth in the NHL but also as fodder for Internet trolls.

Don’t you see. Trading Gomez would be the bestest thing in the world because then the Habs would be instant contenders….. for the draft lottery.

65. fbkj says:

that doesnt automatically put him in higher regard though

66. VancouverHab says:

I take second place to no-one in my admiration and fandom of Koivu — I happily wangled his autograph for my eldest with difficulty.

But Gomez has the advantage of having won two Stanley Cups.

67. Castor says:

3 points out of 1st in our Division I meant.

And, yes for the love of everything that is Holy we KNOW Gomez is overpaid.
    Considering the team has been missing their two best defensemen and they are still clearly in a good spot should make you proud. Not Angry and wishing the team was blown up.

68. VancouverHab says:

What is wrong with this place?

Gomez is evincing the perfect attitude here: why is he not getting praised to the skies (in both official languages) instead of sniped at?

The team blew a 4-0 lead and only just pulled it out in OT. This is NOT something to be celebrated.

A real leader on an NHL team — anywhere but in this madhouse apparently — would do exactly this to send the perfect message about what WINNING is all about.

I can see why the Habs havn’t been winning for two decades — we haven’t had leaders who know what it takes to win (multiple) Staney Cups. And Habs fans & journalists (if this place is any indication) have forgotten what winning is all about.

We’re swooning over the gaudy flash and dismissing — abusing even — the serious leadership.

69. fbkj says:

so its your argument that gomez is overpaid? for serious? this is news…

70. zak says:

If I,ve read the stats properly we’re 9 pts out of 1 st place and in 7 th place. We’re talking about two regulars and 13 mil in contrracxt money. Gomez has 24 pts. What a great deal for 7.5 mil .

71. fbkj says:

not sure how PK is ignoring gomers experience also saku is not only highly regarded in the world of hockey, but in the athletic community worldwide (he was voted into the IOC)

72. Propwash says:

P.K broke teh internets

73. fbkj says:

how can i say no edit: cant edit that post but i can edit this one…

74. twocents says:

Hey! Why is the html disabled?

75. twocents says:

John, I am sure you could retrieve a more appropriate adjective for this circumstance.

May I suggest any of these: idiotic, foolish, pointless, misguided, useless, moronic, imbecilic, puerile, juvenile, ridiculous, unfounded, stupid, fabricated, valueless, pathetic, absurd or laughable.