Gomez on ‘snubbing’ of Subban

As the story goes, Canadiens Scott Gomez set up P.K. Subban for the overtime winner Monday in Montreal’s 5-4 win over Calgary, then snubbed Subban when the latter skated near in the ensuing celebration.

Today, Gomez told reporters after practice that blowing a 4-0 lead at this point in the season isn’t much a cause for celebration, and that he and his teammates had their good fun with Subban off the ice in the dressing room.

Here’s Gomez in his own words. Not that they’ll do much to soothe the conspiracy theorists out there…

1. zak says:

JM made a great choise for captain eh. Gomez and Gionta are joined at the hips. JM, Gomez Gionta  dumb f_’s. Thanks BG for these great signings

2. VancouverHab says:

Partly, but much much more complicated than that.

Gomez is a veteran who’s only just turned 31 and already has two Stanley Cup rings, and is a serious player on any team in the league. I loved Saku (have his name on my Habs jersey) — I mean loved — but Gomez has much more NHL cred than the winningless Saku. A harsh truth but a truth nonetheless.

P.K. is a rookie. And unless he wants suffer hubris should take Gomez & Pleks & Gionta & Moen seriously.

3. Da Hema says:

A hockey team isn’t a classroom. In the real world, there are things called status, experience, development, and respect. In the real world, unlike a classroom of children, such things matter.

4. fbkj says:

amazing how why this was even posted went over sooooo many peoples heads

5. PeterD says:

This is my hope!

6. homerbowen says:

Hopefully, this time next year we will see more of the young players and far less of many of our overpaid so called “vets”.

Gomez must go!

7. PeterD says:

I think it is time for Pierre Gauthier to intervene and talk with J. Martin and the others that seem to frown on PK’s flamboyance.  If he doesn’t step in and have a talk with the coach he is going to see the eroding of PK’s confidence and flair for the game and that my friends would be the end of P. Gauthier.  I’m referring to the comment JM made before the last game in Buffalo about PK having some learning to do to be more professional…

In the Gomez interview he implies that he and Gionta have an issue with PK as well…when he says he looked at Brian and both of them sort of smurked…if publically smurking and mocking your team mates is what they want to do, then maybe it’s time to off load their expensive contracts and move on…the habs will be fine without both of these guys…grow a pair Gomez.

It has been a very long time since we have had a player with PK’s flash and sizzle…I think maybe going back as far as Guy Lafleur…for God’s sake why would the team management want to crush this guy?

8. scrowe21 says:

Yeah 6’4 is nice..but hes not really a physical or offensive forward.

9. fbkj says:

cognitive dissonance FTW!

10. Da Hema says:

I’d be content if Gomez tongued Subban after a goal.

11. Rugger says:

That would get a longer suspension than decapitating someone with his stick.

12. Top Corner says:

…NOT thank you !! ha ha ha , thanks Ripley !!

Any more tid-bits of info u been holding out on ???

13. joeybarrie says:

YUP, you can really see how they hate PK….

14. joeybarrie says:

Wow, so you actually believe this? That says ALOT…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. joeybarrie says:

WHEW. For a second there I was worried. Thanks for keeping you ear to the ground and clearing that up for me. Still havent heard who your source is… Is it Cristobal Huet?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

16. filincal says:

hahahaha….actually it looks more like he’s waitng for the loafs or booins to win one.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

17. habs365 says:

at least subban and price come to play every game and they’re not making $8,000,000 if this is for sure true..this is my message for Gomez and the other losers who don’t care for these guys. these two guys will be star players soon and gomez and you others on the team that don’t like these guys because you’re not as good..will never be a star player..star players don’t act like this toward their team mates.

18. filincal says:

Bourque and Regher or Iggy—

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

19. coachdoug says:

For some reason the annual “Maple Laff Fire and Yard Sale” is less attended each year…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

20. BJ says:

Thats also a concern I have. He seems to be a west coast guy. Hard to say. Ramo would be a good insurance policy.

21. filincal says:

I’m in my mid 30’s, and if i were hanging around a loud 23 year old it’d definately get annoying after awhile…but on the ice I’m sure all those differences are forgotten. I don’t believe everyone on the Canucks or Wings get along with eachother.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

22. Propwash says:

I’d crack up if Gomez dryhumps PK the next time he scores a goal.

23. Psycho29 says:

We all know that France is a hotbed for Habs information…

24. Mark C says:

This rule is in place to prevent players from “retiring” only to come back in the middle of the season, e.g. Mats Sundin.

25. filincal says:

We should just get rid of those two trouble making punks (Subbie,Pricey). Maybe we can package them for some “real” talent…maybe those studs Komi and Dion.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

26. Haboholic11 says:

its ok dont worry!  Its all beautiful in the locker room.

27. habs365 says:

still waiting for the Habs to win a cup

28. JIMVINNY says:

@haboholic – If what you say about Gomez and the vets not liking PK and Price is true (I’m not saying I believe it for a second), then I ask you this;  Who do you think the management team is going to keep around?  High-paid veterans, most of whom aren’t pulling their weight, or the young studs who are keeping this team afloat?  If Gomez truly does have a problem, he should probably keep his mouth shut and just play the game, or he might find himself riding the bus in Hamilton.  If it truly came down to PK vs. Gomez, there is no question in my mind who the team would choose to keep around.  This isn’t Saku vs. Ribeiro we’re talking about here.

29. joeybarrie says:

I figured it out. I knew that no one could steal a UFA and they didn’t have to go thru waivers when being signed. I did just find out that when you start the season outside the NHL you have to go thru waivers to get back in as long as you have the release from the other team.

Interesting rule we have there, considering you can simply JUMP to the KHL, but you can;t jump fromt he KHL to the NHL… Kinda one sided…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. filincal says:

to be fair, baseball is no where near a team sport as hockey is. Having said that this “snub” is just plain stupid…whomever caught that on video is just fishing for controversy.

P.s. I can hardly make out the half second “snub”…

As the wise William Shatner once said, “get a life, will you people”.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

31. fbkj says:

not familiar with the process but cammy was signed in the off season

32. SmartDog says:

Price may not be in Montreal past his RFA days.  He’s going to be hugely expensive and he’s cocky enough that I don’t think there will be any hometown discount.  To have an awesome 2nd goalie means we could probably trade Price in a couple of years and get a TON in return.  To me, if Ramo is as good as he seems we need to let him prove it in the NHL.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

33. joeybarrie says:

I had no idea FA had to go thru waivers. That makes no sense. IDK. Why didn’t someone take Cammalleri from us then when we signed him? Why someone didn’t take Hossa. There has to be a rule about it that im am not aware of, and it probably has to do with signing in another league???

The more I think about it, the more i see your point. I didn’t realize Osgood numbers fell so quickly in the last 2 seasons. I do wonder about why he left his 24 million dollar contract in St Petersburg…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. Matt_in_TO says:

You would think with having been in Montreal now for 1.5 years, G-Love would know by now that mole hills are mountains and stories get made up over anything and everything.

– In Price We Trust

35. PeterD says:

“GOMEZ AND OTHERS DON’T LIKE SUBBAN”  Wow!

I think GOMEZ AND THE OTHERS need to ask for a trade cause PK and Price ain’t going anywhere…they are the future of this team NOT GOMEZ and the others.

36. A. Berke says:

???

Ali B.

37. JIMVINNY says:

Marek Svatos, you were possibly thinking of?

38. fbkj says:

well hes from france, which hystorically is wayyyyy more in touch with the underbelly of hockey as opposed to, i dunno, canada

39. PeterD says:

Really looking forward to seeing Engqvist play his center porition during the next few games…it’s been a long time since we’ve had a 6’4″ forward in the line up…if he looks good he may be around for a while even though at a reported 197 Lbs he will need to bulk up during next summer.

40. joeybarrie says:

Do you really think anyone believe’s you? First of i can tell the Gomez is the type of guy that is very popular in the locker room. I think PK and Price love him, and even if he didn’t like someone I doubt he would say anything to anyone, and show even less. I’ve seen enough interviews to know that he likes to mess around.

Who is this source?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

41. Hali_Hab says:

well am i ever glad i stopped buy for a read…. jeeze!

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.

42. fbkj says:

oh noes not t3h divisions???!!!^!

ps: your message wasnt received so dont worry about getting shot

43. Rob D says:

Anyone remember the Oakland A’s of the 70`s? They had fistfights every other day in the lockerroom, everyone resented everyone else and they won..and won…and won.

I could care LESS about locker room harmony.Some of the worst teams in history were bosom brothers. Who gives a ….? It’s a story created by journo’s to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling… how they all just adore each other and party together etc.

They are professionals. Some of them are nice guys. Others are a-holes. It’s the job of the organization to crack the whip and make sure they play together when it matters.

All free agents signed during the season have to pass through waivers.  Stavkos (sp?) and Wellwood were signed by St. Louis only to be claimed by other teams.

Howard has a decent won-loss record but maybe doesn’t have the ability to steal games.  Osgood is on the way out and can’t go an entire series.  Nabokov is a great insurance policy.

45. joeybarrie says:

We can fit him in this season with Markov and Gorges out. We can fit him next season when we do not re-sign Hamr. But it’s doubtful they are trying to trade him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

46. coachdoug says:

I know someone who used to coach Gomez and he (see picture on left) laughed when I asked him why they traded him to the Habs…no sh#t story…just sayin…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

47. StevieRay says:

I may look like a old scurvy drunk ………. but I have had that same beer in front of me for 1/12 years …right Ian !!

48. Haboholic11 says:

Let me rephrase.  GOMEZ AND OTHER TEAMMATES DONT LIKE SUBBAN.  I had a feeling I would get reactions like this.

Believe what you want.  But is it that hard to believe that theres division in the locker room?  Not really.

Anyways, dont shoot the messenger. 🙂

49. Mark C says:

Yeah, if he ain’t down with high fives and bear hugs, he can buzz off!!!1!

-Signed “The Super Fans”

50. StevieRay says:

Some interview ..ah..yah…ah…ah..young fellas …ah..ya… waste of air space that was …and I don’t beieve him when he says  he wasn’t pi**ed at PK’s celebration ..ah..ya \

Igggy for Gomez…straight up …he’s even be closer to Alaska what’s not to like !

51. BJ says:

Ramo being part of the package read on…….

52. PeterD says:

I would take the salary hit for Iginla and not re-sign Hammer…love the guy but we need to make room for more youth and speed on our blueline.

Would re-sign Markov though.

53. joeybarrie says:

You know NO ONE close to Gomez. I don’t even know YOU and I know this. What is the interest in starting a dumb rumor like this that NO ONE is believing?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

54. BJ says:

We would have all over again Price/Halak and next Price/Ramo. Is there space for two young talented possibly both #1’s?

55. PrimeTime says:

On most occassions this place is like a bunch of sour old drunks with nothing better to do with their lives than sit around every afternoon and bitch and argue about the world around them…..the know-it-all’s that know nothing but will express their opinions as absolutes. The sports media are the bartenders handed out the free drinks to keep it going. lol ……….Chill people…..this comment is intended for the other guy, not you.

56. PeterD says:

Habsoholic…could pass along a message to Gomez thru that “someone close to Gomez”…that he needs to get with the program and support his teammates…fans don’t care what he thinks they care about what he does on the ice and as his star fades into old age anad retirement, he needs to support and build up the confidence of the rising stars on his team or get the f–k out of there…oh and take his overpaying contract with him.

57. avatar_58 says:

RAMO STRAIGHT UP FOR IGGY! …mhm right

58. avatar_58 says:

I know someone close to Harper….did you know he’s actually a robot transvestite?

59. coachdoug says:

I have heard they are selling CH emblem tin foil hats at the Bell Center…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

60. SmartDog says:

If they trade Ramo I’ll puke. And I won’t even lick it up after.

61. BJ says:

Would you take on Iginla’s salary and forego re-signing Hamrlik 5.5 milion or even Markov? Just a question…..

62. Mark C says:

Can the Habs get Rene Bourque instead?

63. joeybarrie says:

This move makes no sense to me. Unless they are thinking about as a back-up. Howard is playing well and winning most games. If they think he isnt doing good enough, bringing Nabakov in isnt exactly a safe bet. Plus that pretty much ruins Howard’s future in Detroit. I could understand if he were losing, but I don’t know.

However, since Nabakov is a Free Agent, he should not have to go through waivers…. IDK.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

64. PeterD says:

I’m hoping it happens…but Jerome’s salary and length of contract will be a problem unless we shed serious salary cap in the process.

Maybe Calgary would take Gomez as well…now that is unlikely…but just maybe…

65. BJ says:

Probably not. But certainly an interesting speculation. I’m always a bit hesitant to trade youth for a few years service. But a superstar always trumps several decent players. Although he is getting on in age.

66. zak says:

Iggy makes 7 mil a year. Where would he fit into the cap? What would we do next year. If we could trade our 7 mil man for Iggy it would be a great trade. He has 19 goals and the fans here think he should be traded but Feaster says Iggy’s not up for trade.

You are an idiot. They are not fans. They are team mates.

68. Haboholic11 says:

I know someone close to Gomez.

And sorry to break it to you guys, but these rumors are true.  Gomez (and others on the team) are not a fan of Subban or Price.

You can believe it or not.

69. Propwash says:

Will never happen.

70. zak says:

Check out Habsaddict.com for some great insights on the habs. Addicts alley ” Have the habs lost touch with the fans”

71. BJ says:

Just listening to CKAC and there are rumors of Iginla to Montreal and perhaps Ramo being part of the package. I guess we’ll know in the next month if its a dream. But he would fit in well here.

72. savethepuck says:

I listened to the interview with Gomez.  Is there nothing else more important going on with this hockey team that we can discuss.  What a ridiculous blown out of proportion topic.

The Red Wings are close to signing Nabokov (rumoured 575,000 pro-rated).  Does this mean another team will put in a claim seeing that Nabokov has to clear waivers?  How about Chicago, seeing that Turco has stumbled?  Is this the end of the line for Osgood?  Is there more to this contract than meets the eye? Is it for more than one (promised) year? Do the Wings feel that Howard is good, but not good enough, even if he plays in front of a great defensive team?

Lots of questions.