Gomez looks to bounce back

In an interview with The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs, Scott Gomez talks about last season … and why things will be different.
“I asked myself a lot of questions,” Gomez said, “and I had to clear my mind. It wasn’t a couple of days. I needed the time to think, to re-evaluate.”

Stubbs tees up the golf tournament

• Red Fisher on elevating Elmer Lach to the Bell Centre rafters

• Pat Hickey on new Bulldogs coach Clément Jodoin and Swiss prospect Alain Berger

Impressions of rookie camp

• Forecast for the golf tournament: Unbridled optimism

Sean Gordon on Olivier Archambault

Palushaj is hopeful

Hamilton on Leblanc’s radar

More prospect rankings

J.T. has some fun with rookie camp

Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts

Down Goes Brown on NHL 12

1. Un Canadien errant says:

Excellent article by Steve Rushin on player names in the NFL.

“Olindo Mare is the seafood special in a fancy restaurant, served up on a silver tray by the impeccable Pierre Garcon. The name of that restaurant is Vladimir Ducasse. Why hasn’t the Jets lineman opened a Russo-Franco eatery, a borscht-and-Bordeaux joint, near UN headquarters on First Avenue?”

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Sean Gordon of the Globe says Gomez looked Buffed at the Golf tournament. So is he referring to Dusty Bufflin in the Peg or a sculpted muscle man.

Edit and let the full panic mode begin, PK didn’t golf because of an upper body injury.

So today on HockeyCentral on the Fan590 in TO they were dicussing the potential Luke Schenn contract. Rimmer apparantly reported that he thought deal would be $4Mill. per over 3 seasons.

That is big cake for a 2nd contract on a Dman who won’t get you points. I think the kid is a good steady dman who playe the body but 4 freaking million for 3 years is alot.

Of course it looks like a steal next to Komo’s contract in TO.

4. rated_R says:

You snooze you loose matty. People can do what they want with their ticket.

• Ian Cobb says:

Summit tickets are the best deal in town! Because of our HIO support for the team and the Children’s Foundation Charity.!

• Mattyleg says:

1. People shouldn’t be able to re-sell their ticket. Reselling something at a higher cost with no improvements is criminal.
      2. It’s not me necessarily that I’m referring to, it’s the collective “me” of Habs fans who are shafted by money-grubbing gangsters. You think this practice is ethical? You think that Fat Tony making 5 times his investment on a ticket is more acceptable than an honest working man being able to take his kid to a game? If you do, then we have nothing to say to one another.
      3. ‘loose’ = not tight; ‘lose’ = not win.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cardiac says:

– Jerry Maguire

• im sorry comerade but who are you to tell other people what they can and cannot do with the things they own?

• G-Man says:

That’s “comrade”. :)
          Isn’t spelling checker a neat thing?

• >:(

k but seriously, yes scalpers can be annoying but they also provide a service and they also risk losing a lot of money

• Mattyleg says:

Two things here, CEM,
            First, society always tells us what we can and can’t do with the things we own. You own a gun? You can shoot certain animals with them, at certain times, but not others at other times, and NEVER people. You own a house? You can’t use it to keep people prisoner. You own pants and underwear? You can’t remove them and run down St. Catherine Street.
            Secondly, what ‘service’ do scalpers provide that is not already provided? They sell tickets that have already been put on sale. It’s like the guy who stands next to a tree at a highway rest-stop. If you don’t pay him, you can’t pee. What service is he providing that wasn’t there to begin with?
            …aaaand my heart bleeds for all the poor scalpers who might lose their money. I’d like to see them ALL lose ALL their money, and then they can come to me, where I would charge them exorbitant fees to cry on my shoulder.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• do houses not get sold after they have been put on sale

sometimes for (zomg) MORE than they were purchased for

tell you what, if i cant go to one of my games and two friends offer to buy my tickets from me, one offers more than the other, will you intervene and go “YOU WITH THE TICKETS!!! you… you arent going to be selling them for more than you payed for ARE you???”

cuz id look at you straight in the eyes and tell you to go eff yourself, with all due respect

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t try to make money off my friends.
            ..but maybe that’s just me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• you got me there, im notorious for scalping tickets to my friends…

soooooooooooooooo the point

well done

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
            I just cufking hate scalpers.
            Had a huge argument with work colleagues about this last year because they wanted me to go in with them on buying a bunch of tix and splitting the profits.
            I think it’s scummy.
            Don’t mean to get personal.
            (ps, your house analogy doesn’t work because unlike a ticket, there is no fixed price on a house. Its value depends on many conditions, with consumer demand just being one of them)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• I understand your feelings towards scalpers

its just your sentence “People shouldn’t be able to re-sell their ticket. Reselling something at a higher cost with no improvements is criminal.”

that doesnt sit well

ive actually never charged a friend for tickets ie.; andrew berkshire (not that that hippie student has money but thats neither here nor there)

:D

peace

• savethepuck says:

I have to take Matty’s side on this one. If Canadiens.com could track the tickets being sold on other internet sites for profit immediately after being purchased on their site and associate those tickets with the IP addresses that purchased them, nothing would make me happier than when next year at this time those computors are in the waiting room, they are stuck there without ever being selected. My brother and I went in the waiting room looking for tickets to Superbowl weekend. We agreed that who ever got in first, was to purchase the Saturday Caps game and who ever got in 2nd would purchase the Sunday Jets game. He was lucky to get in in 5 or 10 minutes and got us 2 Caps tickets. 1 hour 15 min in the Jet’s game showed sold out,. within a minute a pop-up came up for me to pick my tickets. I am an 8 hr drive from Montreal, so I logged off. I could of purchased 4 tickets to any game I wanted and posted them on the internet for a profit, same as my brother could of purchased 4 tickets to the Caps game instead of 2. By selling the other 2, we could of gone to the game for free. Neither of us did that because we are fans looking to go to a hockey game, not greedy scalpers that make life miserable for true fans.

And that is why you will have Single Malt scotch in heaven while Crosseyed will still be there but drinking Crown.

• im sorry but… ive had situations where i couldnt sell my tickets for $20 a pair…

tracking IP’s??? its no longer the canadiens tickets TO track once the money has been exchanged…

Crosseyed, I am not against an individual selling a pair when it works out that way. And I know we live in a free market economy where the scalpers will always survive. They do take risks, but they usually gain or they don’t survive.

I was just busting you a bit, and congratulating save the puck for a being a Good Samaritan.

I will never be a fan of the big scalpers or defenders of them. But they will always be around.

• i agree with you whole heartedly, scalpers are oportunists for sure but when you NEED tickets and money isnt an issue, they do come in handy. Im not arguing that the fans get screwed but if you think we have it bad, imagine being a leafs fan (on top of EVERYTHING else)

;)

Bang on, I watched some people friends/relatives blow big wads to go to Leaf games. Hard to believe what they get away with there. Especially when you can go to any rec. league see better hockey and not get kicked out for throwing waffles on the ice!

Cheers!

5. Mattyleg says:

Here’s something I’d love to see:
    I don’t know where the hell people get the idea that buying tickets and then selling them for more money is a legal/morally acceptable practice.
    I can’t get Habs tickets because when they go on sale, I know that I’m going up against dozens of companies with rooms full of computers signing up to buy tickets for profit.
    It’s pathetic.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

To be fair, if you logged in on saturday and waited patiently in front of your computer, you could have bought some, I know I could have some great tickets, and I only logged on to the sale around 11:45am.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Timo says:

I logged in before 10 and still didn’t get tickets I wanted. And lots of this spec sites are now selling tickets for the game I wanted to see at 4×5 times the face value.

• shiram says:

Yea it’s an annoying situation for sure, and I too would have prefered to get tickets for another game.
          Matty said he could not get any tickets, but if he logged on the website, he could have gotten some, maybe not the exact ones he wanted, but at least some.
          Beyond that, F* scalpers.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not talking about THIS time, because I wasn’t available to buy the tickets when they went on sale, but times before this.
            Oh, and if there weren’t all these scalpers buying tickets, they wouldn’t sell out NEARLY as fast.
            Effers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I’m sure they’d sell pretty fast still, but yeah it’s a shameful practice, and should be stopped.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

6. AntoineSabourin says:

What I like about Scott Gomez is the playoff experience and success in the playoffs he brings to a team. In his 11 seasons in the NHL he has averaged just under 13 playoff games played a year. He has played 140 playoff games and yes surprisingly has 99 points.

That’s cool. We have a million per goal player and a 6 mil or so per year who may never recover to play enough game to earn half of what he makes. Hey, I don’t know, but I think both are brilliant signings.

Gomer cracks me up. He clearly paid attention in PR classes and knows to say all the right things. Good for him. I wonder if it will reflect on his pay as well?

8. j2w4habs25 says:

why isnt the Habs rookies taking part of the nhl young star tournament or whatever its called?

Carey Price #31

9. ProHabs says:

Great, so Markov’s recovery has taken a setback and the knee is not doing as well as hoped. It is concerning that he now won’t be ready for the beginning of the season. Now who knows when he will be back. Shucks.

So you have it confirmed this was a setback, and not that this was part of the scheduled rehab. Gotta link?….

• Kooch7800 says:

Was thinking the same thing> i haven’t seen anything about Markov not being ready for the start of training camp

• ProHabs says:

I think Eklund reported it.

• Kooch7800 says:

In the French piece below that I literally just read it mentions from PG that if the season starts today Markov could not be ready play. That is kind of worrying considering how long he has been off and when his surgical procedure was.

That is not good

• ProHabs says:

Not good at all friend. Between Gomez and Markov, that is 13 million dollars down the drain this year.

• shiram says:

Maybe wait untill they have played at least one game before passing such judgement?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• bleedhabs81 says:

@ Prohabs.

Mr. Molson???

Once again lets set go over the facts about Gomez and Markov’s contracts.

If Markov is hurt and can’t play for a sustained period of time, his money is not counted against the cap. Now, your going to say “but but but we could have used his money to sign the Wiz, by golly”

Indeed, we may very well have been able to. Dollar for Dollar, Markov is the better signing though. Also, Markov was the only premier defenceman available this year (I don’t consider the Wiz to be premier at all…. he has a canon and can be bitchy with the opposition… who cares).

Now Gomez, well yes, we could have signed the likes of Sidney Crosby with that kind of money. Sucks to have that much money tied up in him but it is what it is. Not sure if there were any BIG name guys that would warrant that kind of money that have been available to the Habs in the last few years though… so why don’t we stop beating the horse. It is dead. It already resembles ground beef, it has been beat that badly.

10. Paulin98C says:

I can’t wait for the 25th! I have good tickets for the game in Halifax!

I will unfortunately miss the beginning of the season as I will be away down south until mid Novembre.

I will make this game in HFX one to remember… and Marchand will remember this one as well…

11. The Dude says:

I see the team as having a good line-up with some positions being played by some of the best !But on the other side of the coin a lot of questions:1) Will size become an issue?
    2)Will the injury bug show it’s ugly head again?
    3)Gomez??????????????????
    4)Will the D clear and protect Price?
    5)Have the Habs grown a pair?
    6)The System???
    7)BOSTON?????????????????????
    8)Will the team upgrade for a play-off run?

We will see ….the last 20 years have made me a skeptic .

One question, which specific player or players are wondering if they grew a pair this summer. And I nominate you to be the guy who goes in the changeroom to confirm said question.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Do you stay awake nights to think up idiotic posts of this nature? Agreed with other poster. Why don’t you go to the Bell Centre and ask the first Hab player you see whether he’s “grown a pair”?

Grow up.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I think le Fan has become my favourite poster. His comments are becoming more asinine.

Name calling last week – not sure why

Asking people not to discuss politics (or anything else not related to hockey) – I am going to assume because these kinds of topics are above his threshold of understanding… based soley on his name calling post.

Then he comments on innocuous good humoured posts about measuring some testes (medical term please don’t think it is vulgar) and tells the dude to grow up.

What is with the hate?

When are you going to contribute something of value instead of complaining there is nothing of value?

Instead of calling people Obambi boys or telling them their posts are idiotic why don’t you put some nouns, verbs, adverbs, etc. together which are well thought out and maybe, just maybe, add something interesting for once.

I read some of your other posts and stating that Carey Price may not have the same year as last year due to statistics that were quite impressive does not count. Any highschool student that has taken basic stats could also state that it would be reasonable to expect his save % to be lower this year as it was on the far right edge of the bell curve last year.

Feel free to reply to this. I will gladly and politely (crazy concept here, I know) address any response you have.

Shiram, Boone and company are going to love you today. You personally with that little post will be responsible for much activity here today. I guess for that you should already be getting post of the day! LOL

13. shiram says:

Small french piece with Jacques Martin, PG and a bunch of players.

The juicy bits.
    What to do so Gomez works better? It’s all up to Gomez.

On AK46, JM has not talked to him yet, but does not foresee any trouble communicating.
    Ak says he was misquoted, and wants to stay in MTL and to open communications with JM.

PG says if the season started today, Markov would not be playing. Kinda scary to me.

Josh Gorges said he could have come back in the playoffs if the team went in far enough.

Lars Eller still does not have green light for contact practice, but he is confident about playing the first regular season match.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

14. Chuck says:

What’s with the recycling of Fisher’s column? Lach’s number has been retired.

And Red, if you want to start trumpeting for the hanging of a banner for Vezina, I’m all with you!

15. shiram says:

Stars to declare bankruptcy today?
    French piece.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

16. Habitoban says:

I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativism, but I am a little apprehensive about the state of the team. Out of the current 20 man roster we have:
    4 AHL players who have yet to play a full season the NHL;
    4 players coming off surgery – 1 of whom (Markov) continues to skate with the injured group (yikes!);
    1 top six veteran who is coming off the worst year of his career; and
    our major prospect having never played a game in the NHL. There I’ve said it.

17. HFX-HabFan says:

I see Boone has photo-bombed a couple of pics from the golf tourney already…

It looks like the Nashville Predators got caught telling a white lie to Nashville City Council over an agreement they were making with Jeremy Jacobs and his concessions company. Looks like the Preds were not looking for the best deal available for the Arena which the City owns, and were trying to lock in a long term deal with Jacobs.

Just more fodder to hate Jacobs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Dirty dirty dirty. This is the ‘free market’ that we’re told is the solution to all of society’s ills. Just a bunch of crooks cheating and lying to line their own pockets.

Why again will Quebec taxpayers build an arena for Mr. Péladeau? Let him build it himself, if he wants content for Vidéotron so badly, that way he can only defraud himself.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

19. topher5468 says:

Regarding Gomez, I have been quite critical, downright rude at times, he deserved it, IMO. However, he is a Montreal Canadien until he is not and therefore I will pull for him to have a bounce back season. The Intrview with Stubbs was quite good and he appears motivated. Also, Im quite tired of sparing with Vancouver Habs Fan about Gomez. So Go get em Gomer

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

Apparantly John Tavares is close to signing a big extension with the Islanders. I find this a bit surprising, I figured he would want to play somwhere else, especially with all the circus acts going on in NYI ownership/arena stuff.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Gomez was honest about his failings, he says he has trained hard for this season to get back to form. As I tend to do, I have wiped the slate clean with Gomez for the coming season, I like to see what the underachievers will do with a fresh start. Be resolved to be better, but will he be? Four times, he has compiled 50+ assists, three of them with the New Jersey Trap. Can he go for a fifth time?

• habpunk says:

yes but remember his last 4 years, 2 with the rangers horrible production and the last 2 years with the habs horrible production.
      he is a declining player who no longer as NHL calibre skills.
      in fact he would be hard pressed to make it in the AHL as well.
      what keeps him here is that fat contract, which we all know will be terminated at the end of this season.
      so no matter what happens, he is gone after this year.

• Marc10 says:

Gomer would have no problem at the AHL level. He’d finish in the top 3 in scoring with his speed and passing ability alone (it would help if he played with a Max Pac type down there like DD did…)

I don’t think his skills are fading. It’s the compete level and confidence that isn’t there. He is still very quick and can generate a lot of speed through the neutral zone. We all know what happens though once he hits the blue line.

So I’m with Serious… let’s wipe the slate clean. And let’s hope that he’s lucky enough to play a full season with Max Pac. Like DD, he needs a big winger that goes to the net and creates a bit of time and space. If he gets that… I think you’ll see a major up tick in Mr Gomez points total.

Let us pray!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
        Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Duracell3 says:

If he quits thinking he’s Henrik Sedin and stopping 2 feet inside the blue line and blindly throwing terrible passes to blocked lanes, the other team, or guys who are in a bad position, he could do well.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

I went to the new (still un-named) concert hall (here in montreal) last night for the season opening (and second ever concert in the hall).

Inside it looks absolutely gorgeous, intimate and warm, with blond wood on every surface. The sound is clearly better, but it’s hard to tell how good it is as I was sitting in the choir behind the orchestra. There is no hum of ventilation as there is at Wilfrid Pelletier.

The common areas outside are OK, but no more. It’s nice to have all that glass. But there is a lack of grandeur. I guess they want to focus on the music.

The MSO played Olivier Messiaen’s wild and crazy Turangalila Symphony, a truly mind blowing piece of music.

All in all it is a great addition. The whole Place Des Arts / Ste Catherine / St.Laurent area is shaping up really well as a hub of city life.

Habs’ Hall of Famer Henri Richard has a unique record as one of his many claims to fame. As he was born in a leap year, he technically had more Stanley Cups (11) than birthdays (9) at the time of his retirement.
    (HabsWorld)

Is there is anything more stupid than today’s “tweet” mentality? Talk about much ado about nothing.

25. Chrisadiens says:

Cautious optimism for Gomez. He can’t be any worse right? I remember a lot of people hammering Price last year (myself included, sorry Carey.) How did that turn out? Bottom line is the Habs need him to play well. If he plays well, the Habs have the ability to roll 3 scoring lines and compete for the Cup. Im rooting for Gomez, because I want to win. Past is the past.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

My only concern about this past summer for Gomez is that he has taken up golf. I love to golf, but i also love to drink beer when I golf. If Gomez is golfing like i do, he will not be in better shape.

• Tony McLean says:

Price folded with a 2-0 series lead against the Bruins that’s how that turned out.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

26. RGM says:

Does anybody else get a bit of the goosebumps as they realize that the dawn of the new hockey season is upon us? Yeah baby!!!

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

27. CanadienBoy says:

I guess if Berger make it ,will he make up for those 2 round pick lost to fill holes by GM.

Well it is good to read something about Gomez. I understand many are tired of him, I for one am hopeful. The guy does have skill and experience. Hopefully the words we read are not window dressing. I do believe that months ago, PG was trying to deal him, and I think Gomez knows that if he sucks this year he will be playing in Hamilton or Wpg or NYI etc…

When he turns around his game this year, we should have 3 very effective lines. Can’t wait to see it.

If he doesn’t turn it around, his contract is now reaching the point where he becomes very tradeable. I for one will be giving him the chance to succeed this year. No I don’t have blinders on, but I am very hopeful.

Woohoo We are almost there, Drop the Fricking Puck already!

• Ian Cobb says:

Gomez will be alright, its not like he lost his talent in some washroom some place. He has some of the best skills in the game.

Brain cramps do creep into all people’s lives once and a while. Except for me of course.

This will be a rock and roll season for the whole club folks! see ya at the parade!

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – Remove the 2nd last word from your post and I’ll give it an A+ rating:-)

I find training camp an interesting process. Close to a month to just identify the one player we need to open the season (injuries aside). I know it’s much more than that, but in so many ways all these guys are playing with an eye on the future. I guess that’s how a young guy has to motivate himself seeing that everybody is going back to junior or the AHL.

29. homerbowen says:

Only in my dreams do I see Gomez playing exceptional hockey. A dog is a dog plain and simple. I’m afraid this boy is done like dinner and way past any prime he may have had. Every effort should be made to move him or unload in some way as he will just be a cancer on the team. Sorry, but that’s how I se it.

Gomez needs to hit the 15/45/60 mark. Anything less will be cosidered failure in my opinion.

31. Nice piece by Fisher, too bad he wrote it alsmost two years ago.

32. Habfan10912 says:

Not to disrespect Mr. Stubbs but I do not want to read about another millionaire athlete who basically stoled from his organization and let down his teamates and fans who suddenly has refocused himself. So what are we to do? Celebrate the fact that Gomez is now doing the things he should have been doing all along. I sure hope the organization makes him earn both his spot on the team and his ice time. I do not want to hear how he is now earning his salary by doing the things that most everyone in the league is doing. Work.

33. arcosenate says:

Oh oh, looks like Gomez is fibbing about the gym and being in New York, he’s been moonlighting:

34. Bob_Sacamano says:

It sounds all good what Gomez has to say but does anyone really think he will be considerably better? I really doubt it, I hope Eller and Desharnais have great seasons and we don´t need to talk about Gomez 12 months from now because he´s no longer here…

Three mistakes in one name (it´s “Niederreiter” instead of “Neidereitter”), that must be a record even for Hickey.

35. Habziefan09 says:

HALLELUJAH! Golf tourney day.. which means today begins wall to wall non-stop HABS 24/7 for the next 7-8 months. About damn time too.. Ever since that OT goal in game 7, I have been looking forward to this day… A new year.. with our boys… Bring it home!

Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”