Gomez has high hopes for 2010-11

Scott Gomez, about age 14, on the hockey rink at Tikishla Park in his native Anchorage, Alaska. Gomez laughs today at the Canadiens cap he’s wearing on the ice where he learned to skate, a facility now named the Scotty Gomez Ice Rink after his charitable foundation completely refurbished it. Says Gomez today: “Maybe Montreal is where I’m supposed to be.”
Photo courtesy Scott Gomez

Centreman Scott Gomez is about to head into his second season with the Canadiens. And he’s eager for the club to pick up where it left off last spring, having slugged it out three rounds deep into the playoffs.

In this feature profile, Gomez reflects on the highs and lows of last season, revisits the summer past and looks to the 2010-11 season on a club that has a new face, if one not as dramatically reshaped as it was last summer when he arrived by trade, followed by a host of free agents.

“Everyone (in Montreal) knows what’s going on,” he says, marvelling at what he describes as the city’s hockey intelligence. “Other arenas have fans, but (the Bell Centre) has 21,000 coaches.”

Below, a video look at the Scotty Gomez Foundation, his four-year-old charitable organization that benefits players in and programs of Alaskan youth hockey.

1. punkster says:

Cute. Seriously, I doubt the feds are gonna pony up anything now. Too many hands out already and the story’s only a few days old. The shitstorm it would cause everywhere would be impossible for them to quell. The additional votes some may think they can garner would not likely be enough to make any difference in an election. But above and beyond everything else I sincerely doubt the NHL will agree to a) put a franchise in such a small, non-US market location, b) put a franchise in a location which failed in the past and c) put a franchise in a location with no arena (’cause ain’t no way private enterprise will put money into this thing before a firm NHL guarantee of a franchise and that ain’t comin’ in our lifetime).

2. likehoy says:

or just glove

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

3. HabFarmer says:

Yeah, we all know Old Man Vic around these parts.  A cynical shill for Stephen Harper’s western policies.  A great representative for Manitoba interests in Ottawa (sarcasm……).  The same man, who asked Manitobans whether they wanted clean water or a new arena back when we were trying to replace the old barn.  What BS.

At the time I was wondering who was going to get the clean water if they didn’t put in their 15 million or whatever they were going to pay?  The aboriginal communities up north, perhaps?  The rural poor in the south?  This issue of clean water isn’t a privelege, it’s a right.  The arena is a privelege, and it got build in spite of federal dithering.  The issue of clean water is a given, it’s not a choice that the leading party forces its people to make.

Political gamesmanship by a poor and ineffective so called leader.  Don’t get me started on Vic Toews………. .

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

4. geo_habsgo says:

ahh that makes sense. Thanks RGM. The tickets I bought were in the family fun zone so they were definitely a bargain. I don’t know how but I was able to get back in and buy a second set of tickets for a calgary game in January. It’s been a lucky day for me! I hope others have found some luck with the tickets too

5. GrimJim says:

CAn we compromise, how about “The Big G” or “G-Whiz” or “G-Man”? I would have suggested “G-Force” but that damn movie makes me think of a talking rodent…

Or we can go off the wall and call him “Speedy Scottie” or “High Octane” or “Scottie the Set-up Man”?

How about “The Rushin’ Alaskan”?

6. JD_ says:

Pros: You can really see the plays develop. More importantly, at your end, you’ll be behind Chicago’s net for two periods or, as the scalpers like to say, the Habs play twice.

Cons: Whatever happens at the other end will be a little more challengin’ to follow, although not as difficult as it is for the folks in 119, who basically have to wait for the sticks to go up to know if anythin’s gone in.

7. RGM says:

Congrats again my friend – have a blast!

Josh Gorges for Captain!

8. RGM says:

A friend of mine is in the same boat – with all the info they’ve got to process it may take a few hours.

Josh Gorges for Captain!

9. geo_habsgo says:

I would say those seats are pretty good. A little high up but you have a pretty clear view of the entire ice so it makes it easy to follow the game. I always enjoyed sitting there. I guess it depends on what you’re used to.

10. MD says:

It’s random and i guess the algorithm of asigning who can purchase changes as the sale progresses.

When the sales starts they create a queue randomly of all who went into the waiting room before the sale started because they have limited number of connections to the billing system. All who joins later are added to the queue.

I don’t know if they randomize anything after the initial queue is created.

11. j2c says:

I managed to get two tickets to the Chicago game on April 5, 2011. This is the last game of the season…I’m so excited. They are in section 219 Row F seat: 5-6. Would anyone be able to tell me if these seats are good? I have never sat in the 200 level. Thanks

12. geo_habsgo says:

got tickets to philly vs montreal november 16 im pretty excited. I signed up for the e-bill but haven’t received the tickets yet and its been over an hour. do they send the tickets closer to the date or did I screw up?

13. Danno says:

I was late logging on at about 10:30 for tickets. How do you know how long you must wait or what number you are in the waiting room? After entering all the information there is nothing but a message saying please wait your turn….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

14. JD_ says:

In this Winnipeg Free Press article, the feds’ senior MP for Manitoba, Vic Toews, comments on federal-provincial infrastucture spendin’ initiatives. The piece has Toews acknowledgin’ that “Manitoba has already received more than it’s fair share of federal money, including $15 million for the new football stadium being built at the University of Manitoba.”

In relative terms, $15M is not a large sum of money. Toews reasons, “My priority has been very consistent. Sewer, water, roads and other hard infrastructure, and that’s what we’ve been providing to Manitobans.”

You know, I have to agree with Mr. Toews’ priorities. That’s why it should be easy for the Quebec government to convince the feds to cough up a big wad o’ cash for a new ‘Diques arena: They’d be spendin’ it on the sewer where those igloo-chested bastiches will find themselves for the first 20 years.

Booya, baby!

Gotta get my hate on early. It’s been a decade and a half and I need the practice.

…and should it come to pass, I look forward to contributin’ to the Gazette’s new Quebec Nordiques discussion forum, ‘Diques Upside/Down (DUD).

15. theprice_31 says:

April 5th vs the defending champs from Chicago for me….section 316…come on hockey season lol

16. HabFanSince72 says:

This is taking forever.

17. MD says:

Ah, these guys filter out the IP pretty good this year.

I could have bought tickets in four browser sessions – got bumped out with the message saying that i reached the purchase limit.

18. CP31 says:

Break out your REAL #11 jersey’s and prep your vocal cords because “The Bell” is going to be a-rockin’ come Jan 22/10.

19. RGM says:

418 for me! We’ll see now whether or not I can make it out there!

Josh Gorges for Captain!

20. CP31 says:

They may be GREY’s, but I just got 2 tickets to that game too!

I’m pretty excited to be apart of 21,273 cheering fans welcome back my favourite Hab. I’m going to have to practice my loudest “SAKU” chant for that night.

The Bell is going to be ELECTRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. RGM says:

Two tickets for Habs v. Saku!!!

Josh Gorges for Captain!

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Close, but I’m still living in Ontario 😉

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. The Capitalist Pig says:

That’s sound advaice.

24. TomNickle says:

Max Pacioretty is a prime example.  Hopefully the bulk he’s added to his frame can help him deal with the grind without sacrificing speed and puck handling ability.

25. dufour says:

got tickets to Nov 20 against the laughs… never been to a game in Montreal so im pretty stoked

“How would you like a job where when you made a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?” Jacques Plante

26. ooder says:

look like everything is turning up SF!

88 is the new 23

My birthday is coming up in a few months 09.!

28. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

We didn’t sign him, we traded for him and people forget that we got Tom Pyatt in that trade, a surprise player last year and should be a solid 3rd line guy for years. I love what Gomez brings to this team and plays great with Gionta!

29. zozotheclown says:

Nice, looks like most of us got tickets to that game

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks, can’t believe I’m off to see two Habs games in a year myself, Summit and the return of Saku.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. zozotheclown says:

Me too!

We can fight off serious fan together!

32. ooder says:

nice man.. enjoy the game.

now lets hope i get some luck as well

88 is the new 23

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Victory is mine! Two tickets to the Ducks game in Section 303 🙂 2nd ticket being a very belated birthday gift to my sister.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. HabsFanInTampa says:

Well said, Charlie. Without Gomez, we probably wouldn’t have had Gionta and Cammaleiri sign here. I admit I was one of the bloggers that couldn’t understand how the Habs can pay this “smurf” so much $$$. But, when the “real” season kicked off in April, Gomez was on fire. Do I wish he scored more goals? Of course I do! But IMO, his points total and hustle make up for that in some way.

35. MD says:

Got tickets for the return of the captain!

36. Storm Man says:

I hope  your hunting license is up to date.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

37. MD says:

I will join the hunt!

What other games are awesome except the ducks?

Right now i am aiming at March 26 agains mr Ovechkin…

38. zozotheclown says:

Likewise 🙂

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Anyone here gets Anaheim tickets and I don’t, hunting you down, it’s nothing personal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. RGM says:

Well, the waiting room is now open!

Josh Gorges for Captain!

41. Top Corner says:

PUMPED !!!!!!

Top Corner likes this!!

Right 24.!  At least 1 full season anyway. Defenseman and Goal tenders take much longer to develop into NHL caliber than do forwards as a rule.

And moreover, 20 yr. old bodies break when up against hardened vets. Careers go down the drain emotionally also if put up against the vets to early.

There is a lot to becoming a pro.

Unless they draft a top three player, all Hab rookies should play at least one year in the AHL.  Only a handful of 18 year old kids can handle the speed and size of the NHL.

44. HabFab says:
    The only thing I care about is winning. And last season, the young guys here got a taste for it.” Scott Gomez

not going to win them all,” Gomez said. “But we know what our standard
    is. And we know that whoever’s playing the Canadiens will be in for a
    long night.” Scott Gomez

45. sholi2000.com says:

Stop making sense, it may catch on 😉

Big fan of Gomez. I like what he brings, and if we didn’t sign him what would the team look like?  It would have been pretty sad.

They Call Me Shane

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

He’s a very good player and I’m glad we have him. When they offered to throw money at him, he took it. And you guys all hate him for that?

If you forget the money, he’s a pretty decent centre. And since we don’t own the team, the money decisions are completely out of our zone. Hate capitalism, if you want. But don’t jump all over a player because he takes advantage of a once in a lifetime contract offer. Yeah, it’s insanity.

He’s a solid addition to the team – my favourite team that happens to play in a sports industry run by idiots.

47. awesomerino says:

I love Gomé so much.  My favorite Hab by far.

48. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sorry Gomer,  but “G-Love” is already taken.  Guess you’ll have to find another catchy nickname.

49. likehoy says:

sour grapes much?

if anyone has the balls to want to be called g-love, he gets to be called g-love.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

50. habs 4 future says:

could we call him  ghostbuster?

better still, crapiola

51. Bugs says:

A little lesson on nicknames: You don’t CHOOSE your own nickname; folks choose it for you. You can say you don’t LIKE a particluar nickname; that’s fine, but promoting one is a sure-fire way of NOT gettin it. I wanted to be called “Goldy” on account of the bitchin sunglasses I had when I was younger. They were so totally boss, lookin into’em, you didn’t know if you were comin or goin. But somehow, I got stuck with “mental midget” instead. More I ranted for Goldy, more I got some mental midget action, so I’ll be danged afore lettin this clown gettin away with tellin me what’s what in the nicknamin department.

So Scotty-boy, “G-Love” seems a little too…paradey for me…if you know what I mean…not that there’s anything wrong with that. Tried it, didn’t like it, so you know where you can stick it.

Now, he doesn’t like “Gomer” and I understand that. I wouldn’t like it either. So I’m stickin with “Gomie”.

And if he doesn’t like it, he can kiss my Goldy azz.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

52. zerolegel says:

“A superstar playing for the Montreal Canadiens”. Yess!

53. Lafrich says:

Our best player against Philly in the playoffs. only guy that gave us any shot to score . A very good player, and a pretty classy guy too – I am basing this on the lack of any complaining whatsoever. The salary is not his fault. Let’s not blame him for that.

54. likehoy says:

i wonder if anyone asked G-love about the hit he took from mike richards in the NHL 11 promo video!

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

55. scrowe21 says:

G-Luv is the mann

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy