Gomez has high hopes for 2010-11

Scott Gomez, about age 14, on the hockey rink at Tikishla Park in his native Anchorage, Alaska. Gomez laughs today at the Canadiens cap he’s wearing on the ice where he learned to skate, a facility now named the Scotty Gomez Ice Rink after his charitable foundation completely refurbished it. Says Gomez today: “Maybe Montreal is where I’m supposed to be.”
Photo courtesy Scott Gomez

Centreman Scott Gomez is about to head into his second season with the Canadiens. And he’s eager for the club to pick up where it left off last spring, having slugged it out three rounds deep into the playoffs.

In this feature profile, Gomez reflects on the highs and lows of last season, revisits the summer past and looks to the 2010-11 season on a club that has a new face, if one not as dramatically reshaped as it was last summer when he arrived by trade, followed by a host of free agents.

“Everyone (in Montreal) knows what’s going on,” he says, marvelling at what he describes as the city’s hockey intelligence. “Other arenas have fans, but (the Bell Centre) has 21,000 coaches.”

Below, a video look at the Scotty Gomez Foundation, his four-year-old charitable organization that benefits players in and programs of Alaskan youth hockey.

8Ih7eKsEtmc

1. punkster says:

Cute. Seriously, I doubt the feds are gonna pony up anything now. Too many hands out already and the story’s only a few days old. The shitstorm it would cause everywhere would be impossible for them to quell. The additional votes some may think they can garner would not likely be enough to make any difference in an election. But above and beyond everything else I sincerely doubt the NHL will agree to a) put a franchise in such a small, non-US market location, b) put a franchise in a location which failed in the past and c) put a franchise in a location with no arena (’cause ain’t no way private enterprise will put money into this thing before a firm NHL guarantee of a franchise and that ain’t comin’ in our lifetime).

FREE TIMO!

2. likehoy says:

or just glove

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

3. HabFarmer says:

Yeah, we all know Old Man Vic around these parts.  A cynical shill for Stephen Harper’s western policies.  A great representative for Manitoba interests in Ottawa (sarcasm……).  The same man, who asked Manitobans whether they wanted clean water or a new arena back when we were trying to replace the old barn.  What BS.

At the time I was wondering who was going to get the clean water if they didn’t put in their 15 million or whatever they were going to pay?  The aboriginal communities up north, perhaps?  The rural poor in the south?  This issue of clean water isn’t a privelege, it’s a right.  The arena is a privelege, and it got build in spite of federal dithering.  The issue of clean water is a given, it’s not a choice that the leading party forces its people to make.

Political gamesmanship by a poor and ineffective so called leader.  Don’t get me started on Vic Toews………. .

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

4. geo_habsgo says:

ahh that makes sense. Thanks RGM. The tickets I bought were in the family fun zone so they were definitely a bargain. I don’t know how but I was able to get back in and buy a second set of tickets for a calgary game in January. It’s been a lucky day for me! I hope others have found some luck with the tickets too

5. GrimJim says:

CAn we compromise, how about “The Big G” or “G-Whiz” or “G-Man”? I would have suggested “G-Force” but that damn movie makes me think of a talking rodent…

Or we can go off the wall and call him “Speedy Scottie” or “High Octane” or “Scottie the Set-up Man”?

How about “The Rushin’ Alaskan”?

6. JD_ says:

Pros: You can really see the plays develop. More importantly, at your end, you’ll be behind Chicago’s net for two periods or, as the scalpers like to say, the Habs play twice.

Cons: Whatever happens at the other end will be a little more challengin’ to follow, although not as difficult as it is for the folks in 119, who basically have to wait for the sticks to go up to know if anythin’s gone in.

7. RGM says:

Congrats again my friend – have a blast!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

8. RGM says:

A friend of mine is in the same boat – with all the info they’ve got to process it may take a few hours.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

9. geo_habsgo says:

I would say those seats are pretty good. A little high up but you have a pretty clear view of the entire ice so it makes it easy to follow the game. I always enjoyed sitting there. I guess it depends on what you’re used to.

10. MD says:

It’s random and i guess the algorithm of asigning who can purchase changes as the sale progresses.

When the sales starts they create a queue randomly of all who went into the waiting room before the sale started because they have limited number of connections to the billing system. All who joins later are added to the queue.

I don’t know if they randomize anything after the initial queue is created.

11. j2c says:

I managed to get two tickets to the Chicago game on April 5, 2011. This is the last game of the season…I’m so excited. They are in section 219 Row F seat: 5-6. Would anyone be able to tell me if these seats are good? I have never sat in the 200 level. Thanks

12. geo_habsgo says:

got tickets to philly vs montreal november 16 im pretty excited. I signed up for the e-bill but haven’t received the tickets yet and its been over an hour. do they send the tickets closer to the date or did I screw up?

13. Danno says:

I was late logging on at about 10:30 for tickets. How do you know how long you must wait or what number you are in the waiting room? After entering all the information there is nothing but a message saying please wait your turn….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

14. JD_ says:

In this Winnipeg Free Press article, the feds’ senior MP for Manitoba, Vic Toews, comments on federal-provincial infrastucture spendin’ initiatives. The piece has Toews acknowledgin’ that “Manitoba has already received more than it’s fair share of federal money, including $15 million for the new football stadium being built at the University of Manitoba.”

In relative terms, $15M is not a large sum of money. Toews reasons, “My priority has been very consistent. Sewer, water, roads and other hard infrastructure, and that’s what we’ve been providing to Manitobans.”

You know, I have to agree with Mr. Toews’ priorities. That’s why it should be easy for the Quebec government to convince the feds to cough up a big wad o’ cash for a new ‘Diques arena: They’d be spendin’ it on the sewer where those igloo-chested bastiches will find themselves for the first 20 years.

Booya, baby!

Gotta get my hate on early. It’s been a decade and a half and I need the practice.

…and should it come to pass, I look forward to contributin’ to the Gazette’s new Quebec Nordiques discussion forum, ‘Diques Upside/Down (DUD).

15. theprice_31 says:

April 5th vs the defending champs from Chicago for me….section 316…come on hockey season lol

16. HabFanSince72 says:

This is taking forever.

17. MD says:

Ah, these guys filter out the IP pretty good this year.

I could have bought tickets in four browser sessions – got bumped out with the message saying that i reached the purchase limit.

18. CP31 says:

Break out your REAL #11 jersey’s and prep your vocal cords because “The Bell” is going to be a-rockin’ come Jan 22/10.

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

19. RGM says:

418 for me! We’ll see now whether or not I can make it out there!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

20. CP31 says:

They may be GREY’s, but I just got 2 tickets to that game too!

I’m pretty excited to be apart of 21,273 cheering fans welcome back my favourite Hab. I’m going to have to practice my loudest “SAKU” chant for that night.

The Bell is going to be ELECTRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU

21. RGM says:

Two tickets for Habs v. Saku!!!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Close, but I’m still living in Ontario ;-)

23. The Capitalist Pig says:

That’s sound advaice.

24. TomNickle says:

Max Pacioretty is a prime example.  Hopefully the bulk he’s added to his frame can help him deal with the grind without sacrificing speed and puck handling ability.

25. dufour says:

got tickets to Nov 20 against the laughs… never been to a game in Montreal so im pretty stoked

“How would you like a job where when you made a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?” Jacques Plante

26. ooder says:

look like everything is turning up SF!

——————

88 is the new 23

My birthday is coming up in a few months 09.!

28. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

We didn’t sign him, we traded for him and people forget that we got Tom Pyatt in that trade, a surprise player last year and should be a solid 3rd line guy for years. I love what Gomez brings to this team and plays great with Gionta!

29. zozotheclown says:

Nice, looks like most of us got tickets to that game

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks, can’t believe I’m off to see two Habs games in a year myself, Summit and the return of Saku.

31. zozotheclown says:

Me too!

We can fight off serious fan together!

32. ooder says:

nice man.. enjoy the game.

now lets hope i get some luck as well

——————

88 is the new 23

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Victory is mine! Two tickets to the Ducks game in Section 303 :) 2nd ticket being a very belated birthday gift to my sister.

34. HabsFanInTampa says:

Well said, Charlie. Without Gomez, we probably wouldn’t have had Gionta and Cammaleiri sign here. I admit I was one of the bloggers that couldn’t understand how the Habs can pay this “smurf” so much $$$. But, when the “real” season kicked off in April, Gomez was on fire. Do I wish he scored more goals? Of course I do! But IMO, his points total and hustle make up for that in some way.

35. MD says:

Got tickets for the return of the captain!

36. Storm Man says:

I hope  your hunting license is up to date.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

37. MD says:

I will join the hunt!

What other games are awesome except the ducks?

Right now i am aiming at March 26 agains mr Ovechkin…

38. zozotheclown says:

Likewise :)

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Anyone here gets Anaheim tickets and I don’t, hunting you down, it’s nothing personal.

40. RGM says:

Well, the waiting room is now open!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

41. Top Corner says:

PUMPED !!!!!!

Top Corner likes this!!

Right 24.!  At least 1 full season anyway. Defenseman and Goal tenders take much longer to develop into NHL caliber than do forwards as a rule.

And moreover, 20 yr. old bodies break when up against hardened vets. Careers go down the drain emotionally also if put up against the vets to early.

There is a lot to becoming a pro.

Unless they draft a top three player, all Hab rookies should play at least one year in the AHL.  Only a handful of 18 year old kids can handle the speed and size of the NHL.

44. HabFab says:
    The only thing I care about is winning. And last season, the young guys here got a taste for it.” Scott Gomez

“We’re
    not going to win them all,” Gomez said. “But we know what our standard
    is. And we know that whoever’s playing the Canadiens will be in for a
    long night.” Scott Gomez

45. sholi2000.com says:

Stop making sense, it may catch on ;)

Big fan of Gomez. I like what he brings, and if we didn’t sign him what would the team look like?  It would have been pretty sad.

They Call Me Shane

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

He’s a very good player and I’m glad we have him. When they offered to throw money at him, he took it. And you guys all hate him for that?

If you forget the money, he’s a pretty decent centre. And since we don’t own the team, the money decisions are completely out of our zone. Hate capitalism, if you want. But don’t jump all over a player because he takes advantage of a once in a lifetime contract offer. Yeah, it’s insanity.

He’s a solid addition to the team – my favourite team that happens to play in a sports industry run by idiots.

47. awesomerino says:

I love Gomé so much.  My favorite Hab by far.

48. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sorry Gomer,  but “G-Love” is already taken.  Guess you’ll have to find another catchy nickname.

49. likehoy says:

sour grapes much?

if anyone has the balls to want to be called g-love, he gets to be called g-love.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

50. habs 4 future says:

could we call him  ghostbuster?

better still, crapiola

51. Bugs says:

A little lesson on nicknames: You don’t CHOOSE your own nickname; folks choose it for you. You can say you don’t LIKE a particluar nickname; that’s fine, but promoting one is a sure-fire way of NOT gettin it. I wanted to be called “Goldy” on account of the bitchin sunglasses I had when I was younger. They were so totally boss, lookin into’em, you didn’t know if you were comin or goin. But somehow, I got stuck with “mental midget” instead. More I ranted for Goldy, more I got some mental midget action, so I’ll be danged afore lettin this clown gettin away with tellin me what’s what in the nicknamin department.

So Scotty-boy, “G-Love” seems a little too…paradey for me…if you know what I mean…not that there’s anything wrong with that. Tried it, didn’t like it, so you know where you can stick it.

Now, he doesn’t like “Gomer” and I understand that. I wouldn’t like it either. So I’m stickin with “Gomie”.

And if he doesn’t like it, he can kiss my Goldy azz.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

52. zerolegel says:

“A superstar playing for the Montreal Canadiens”. Yess!

53. Lafrich says:

Our best player against Philly in the playoffs. only guy that gave us any shot to score . A very good player, and a pretty classy guy too – I am basing this on the lack of any complaining whatsoever. The salary is not his fault. Let’s not blame him for that.

54. likehoy says:

i wonder if anyone asked G-love about the hit he took from mike richards in the NHL 11 promo video!

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

55. scrowe21 says:

G-Luv is the mann

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

56. Zepphead says:

Since people have been talking about the tickets they got…

I got Captain K’s return seats in pretty much the worst place in the house – Family Zone last row… All that was left.

57. HabFab says:

This is normally Yeats day to be melancholy, 911 and all. Whats your catalyst today? not that what you said didn’t have some truth in it.

70’s Quebec Refugee

58. JD_ says:

I go away for a few hours and come back to another s***ticane?

(For the record, the U14M-AAA Pierrefonds Cobras manhandled the first overall U14M-AAA Boisbriand Divers, for lack of a better name. Friend of mine owns a restaurant and Alexandre Despatie is dinin’ with friends there tonight. I’ve asked my bud to find out if Despatie is an asst coach with Boisbriand.)

To your point, Punkster Dave, about there bein’ no way, given what’s transpired over the last couple of days, that the feds will step up to the plate in QC. In the end, anything is possible. All I see right now is Moneybags Peladeau with a gleam in his eye and Stephen Harper launchin’ trial balloons. The latter is no different than the time John Manley tossed his own regardin’ tax credits for pro sports teams in Canada. That one didn’t go over well and the feds backed off. We’ll see where this one goes. There is arguably a convergence of factors which gives this one more momentum.

As a hockey fan, and a Habs fan, in particular, I am sincerely hopeful the Quebec Nordiques are reborn. As any long-time fan of the game knows, it was truly one of the great all-time rivalries.

59. RGM says:

Congrats and welcome: Montreal Canadiens v. Anaheim Ducks – Saku Koivu Comes Home

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

60. Komihater says:

Does ANYONE know of an organiziation like this in the montreal area that need volunteer’s or something similar that provides hockey for underprivelaged kids???  any info would be greatly appreciated.

61. punkster says:

Since I arrived in this fair ville only a couple of years before the Diques departed I was never caught up in the rivalry. (To me, at the time, the Leafs-Canadiens were THE rivalry but then having grown up a Leaf fan I was tainted, in oh, so many ways it seems…so all you Habs-Bruins rivalry fans please just chill please, we’re talkin’ an ex- Loaf fan here…cut me some slack)…but I digress…

Yes, I would love to see the Diques back but not at taxpayer expense.

FREE TIMO!

To be honest it wasn’t melancholy. I think Dave Punkster hit the nail on the head. I just like a good ole shoot’em up debate. Nothing like touching a nerve to get the Internet juices flowing.

I really don’t mind that people disagreed and in fact welcome it but the manner in which some people did is merely an excercise in lending more insight into their inner mental workings (and in some cases inner mental midget workings). I am just stating opinion. Maybe some people give me too much credit and always assume that what I am saying is fact. I am allowed to surmise at times. I don’t always need to be the final authority. ;-)

If anything it was a simply case of good ole HH mischief that’s all.

63. forskis says:

I missed the debate…but would like to throw my two cents in…for Sovereignists, some reasons are understandable, most are not but what I do not like is that they defend their cause with double-standards…case in point:  when I went to McGill, a student wrote an article about being an ROCer dating a sovereignist around the time that Trudeau passed away.  She wrote that when she dropped flowers off at the doorstep of his home, it was caught on camera and her boyfriend’s parents were upset thinking that she brainwashed him (being a federalist) into going, even though he just drove her and stayed in the car.  HOWEVER, she continued to write in the article how her boyfriend explained the cause and their reasons and she agreed that Quebecers ahd plenty of reason to be pissed off…so what I got from it was that, if you a sovereignist does something “federalist” it is brain-washing, but if a federalist does something or gets “sovereignists” it is enlightenment…in any case, the way that article ended and what it implied bugged me.

In any case, being a former Quebecer of the dreaded allophone group and having lived in Toronto for over five years and still follow what is going on back home, I have finally developed an almost full opinion on one aspect of everything, that being the language issue:  IT IS NOT THE PRESENCE OF OTHER LANGUAGES THAT THREATENS FRENCH, IT IS THE ABSENCE OF FRENCH.  People need to call out the spin doctors the language hawks use:

1)  The freak out because more than half the island of Montreal do not speak French AT HOME, but make it sound like the ability to speak French is disappearing because of that unrelated stat.  It does not mean people do not know or are not able to speak French, but what people do at home is their business.  So unless the language hawks want to create a law that says people are not allowed to speak other languages at home, this will not change;

2)  The language hawks should not freak out about access to English schools because French is taught in those schools as it is a NECESSARY part of our curriculum.  The hawks act as if people go to English school and French is not taught;

3)  Being bilingual or being to operate bilingually is NOT A BAD THING…but the hawks act as if operating bilingually means that you cannot serve in French, what it really means is that I CAN serve in French, but I can do it in another language if NECESSARY;

4)  The sign law…I agree that both languages MUST be on the sign, I will even go as far as saying that as long as English or any other language is not in bigger text, it is cool, meaning that they can be the same size.  If I want to read the French portion I will, or if I want to read the English portion, I will…because that is how it works, people will read the language portion they WANT to read;

5)  Those language hawks or sovereignists who threaten violence, should not complain if violence is ever acted upon them.  They sometimes deface the Canadian flag and see no issue with it, but see a problem defacing the Quebec flag…it is wrong either way, hyprocrisy all the way.  What is worse is that they will protest something they do not like, which is all well and good, but if you protest something about them, that makes the rest of us fascists stomping on their existence.  This is the point that gets me the most:  it is right if “they” do it, but wrong if “we” do…

Anyway, I have been trying to get this off my chest for years…I feel much better now.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

64. fbkj says:

nice post

and its worth pointing out that a nice change of pace would be promoting the french language by positive means, taking advantage of our uniqueness… instead of feeling the negative need to protect the culture and language at the behest of everyone and everything else…

65. forskis says:

I forgot to add:  I have no problem with most of Bill 101…if its purpose was to promote and protect French by ensuring its PRESENCE everywhere, that is cool; however, if the purpose was to promote and protect it by ensuring the ABSENCE of everything else, that is not cool.

Besides, the language hawks are hypocrites anyway and just have an old historical grudge against English, case in point:  I am Chinese and we all know, as the law stands currently, Chinatown is ONE BIG VIOLATION OF THE LANGUAGE LAWS…but the hawks say VERY little and DO very little about it.  Why is that?  They would have a field day there picking on all the violations, it would be one big language-hawk protest zone.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

66. fbkj says:

im too lazy to google, or wiki, but from what i remember the charter singles out the english language, hence why chinatown is all ching chang charlie…

no offence :P

67. The Cat says:

As in anything, there are radicals, like with religious conservatives, hippie liberals etc There is a faction of the Parti Quebecois that is similar.

68. The Cat says:

I dare say maybe a complete overhaul of the language and make it simpler, kinda like what the spaniards did with spanish way back when.

69. fbkj says:

the problem is the ones that arent part of the extreme factions are the intellectuals who position themselves to capitalize most in the event of seperation, even though they are fully aware that it isnt in the best interest of the things they claim to be fighting for, for personnal advancement, at the expence of the commoners

70. fbkj says:

that and realize that they have stop signs in france

Yes but do they have Halak signs?

72. forskis says:

You are absolutely right that there are radicals in everything, even this language issue…the problem is that the radicals are the ones dictating policy, the people who want to protect French with moderate, reasonable and acceptable (to everyone) measures are cowed by them.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

73. zaq007 says:

Did not know this :S last season pleks got the same amount of points as Vinny and with a better +/-, I knew pleks had a great season and vinny didn’t but dang that’s impressive. Reason why i looked this up is because pleky doenst even make a top 25 list for centres :S

74. geo_habsgo says:

Don’t know if it has been discussed earlier but did anyone happen to catch the juniors last night? I got to attend the game and it was some wild hockey I can tell you that much. Of course, I paid some special attention to Louis Leblanc since I haven’t seen him play since his high school days. He had a rough start to the game and only really came alive in the third when his team was in the hole but it was nice to see him refocus and dig deep. He has a lot of school and was easily the most finessed player on the ice but he was a long way to go still. I definitely do not think he is ready for pro hockey but this season in the Q should do wonders to his development. If he develops right I see him being a very solid second line center with loads of upside. Time will tell.

75. scrowe21 says:

You mean to tell me he didn’t get a hat trick and two assists? Draft bust…………..

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

76. geo_habsgo says:

I think you misunderstood me. I didn’t expect him to perform on that level and as I said I thought he really picked up his game in the latter half of the game. He played pretty well for a season opener especially once he got the legs moving. It’s just that with all the media hype it becomes really easy to expect the sun and the stars from them. My point was that I think he has a long way to go in his development but that I think he is shaping himself into a dynamic player in the future.

77. scrowe21 says:

Nah I was just jokin around, had nothing to do with your post. haha

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

78. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I think Leblanc has a solid future as well, but I wouldn’t expect him to light the Q on fire in his first 10 games in the league. He’ll finish the year in the Q and hopefully sign a pro contract to play in Hamilton in 11-12, hopefully with Kristo and Tinordi joining him.

79. geo_habsgo says:

I’m too sensitive today I guess mah bad :p

80. christophor says:

Good, because we’re short on second line centers

81. habrez says:

I was just on the RDS website and saw there was a countdown for the start of L’Antichambre. I had no idea people cared so much. That show usually makes my head wanna explode. On that thought, so does this website sometimes and I visit HI/O daily despite being on the otherside of the world.

82. ed lopaz says:

typical for louis. his great talent is that he can raise his game with each passing week.

that is what separates the ‘prospects” from all the others.

they get a feel for the “pace” of the league they’re playing in, and then raise their game BEYOND that pace.

watch for louis to dominate once he returns from the habs camp.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

83. dudurules says:

last year i couldn’t buy a wheelchair tickets with gold bars wrapped in diamonds…. i just bought tix for home games against wash, fla, buf, and ana…. BEING DISABLED HAS IT’S PERKS!

Malice in HIO Wonderland. There must be a new Queen of Thoughts here. I keep hearing, “Off with their threads!!”

85. fbkj says:

thats what kills me, toronto is the number one benefactor of the seperatist movement

the amount of resources, money and most sadly, talent, montreal has lost to toronto because of sovereignty really really depresses me

86. ZepFan2 says:

I agree.

Now I must eat! lol

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

87. notbigbird says:

Nationalism of the separatist sort is so last century if not the century before. It shouldn’t be that important to split from a country like Canada. , especially when you’ve created such a unique society within confederation.

88. fbkj says:

and if we need someone to think of a new name for this freshly partitioned province, i say give this guy a call

89. ZepFan2 says:

Does this kid know about the, ‘brown dirt cowboy’?

As for the name after partition. How about…Montreal? ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

90. fbkj says:

thats crazy talk!

91. ZepFan2 says:

Crazy = Radical.

Yeaaah baby!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

92. ZepFan2 says:

You’re partly right, for a troll.

We’re treated WORSE than minorities!

What’s sad is, when the roles were reversed and Francophones were being treated unfairly in their own Country, it was a bad thing. Now, not so much.

Quebec could have made a statement by becoming fully bilingual. Instead they create chaos by trying to split up a Country.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

93. The Cat says:

You know most seperatists dont want to seperate just cause of the language, thats the angle that always sells the most newspapers but theres more to it than that. I could explain seperation to you in a way that even you and most english canadians would buy into or at the least, could respect.

94. ZepFan2 says:

No, you couldn’t! But you could always try.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

I’m waiting for this description. Is it called partenariat or sovereignty-association? Hate to break it to you kitty, no one’s buying what the separatists are selling. It’s not even selling well in Quebec these days. Not at least until some-one pushes the language hot button that is.

96. fbkj says:

on an emotional level i get seperation

as someone who looks at the big picture, there is no real argument for it… in fact the most pressing argument for it which is based on language and culture would be directly threatened if seperation were to occur…

97. The Cat says:

Well in short cause I got hockey to go to but its about being master in your house, its about dignity. Canada went from bending over for Britain to bending over for the US in exchange for security. I dont understand how english canadians think that it is such an unreasonable thing, I would like to think they should want the same thing; to want to be a pimp instead of a prostitute.

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Dignity, master of your house? Quebec already enjoys more control over their internal affairs than any other province in Canada while soaking up billions in equilization cash while their own backwards language laws and seperation talk scare off the businesses and investment that would turn Quebec from Have Not into Have.

Quebec gains no power in seperation and economically shatters itself in the process, it’s madness.

99. The Cat says:

I know its not easy, Im not saying I got all the answers. But see your solution is ‘prostitute yourself even more’ in essence. You should watch a documentary that aired on CBC once and it showed how a country like Iceland is well off and Newfoundland is not (both are close to the same size and have similar resources).

100. ZepFan2 says:

Master of your own house?

Then why do separtists want soverignty-association? You want to separate, do it at your own cost, capice.

I have a scary word for you…Partition.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

101. fbkj says:

not only that, a post seperated quebec will suddenly find itself in need of becomming a LOT more bilingual, youll see a LOT more english signs and the OLF will be the first victim of this (which, is almost worth the price of seperation, you know, for the lulz)

102. fbkj says:

im actually for partition seperation or not

the province has done so much dammage to the city

its the only way we can truly evolve without the troglodites in quebec city holding us back :)

103. SeriousFan09 says:

No one said to ban French. Just weaken some oppressive language laws that restrict the rights of legal citizens to send children to the school of their choice and allow businesses to conduct their operations without going through undue hassle because a label isn’t in French or because they’re exactly one employee over or under the number specified they have to work exclusively in French. Seperation talk scares businesses, it does and it’s caused untold ecomomic strain for a province and for Montreal, a city that could be easily competing with Toronto for economic powerhouse of Canada.

This all started with Levesque’s poisonous legacy of talking about a Quebec that will never exist. I spit on him and his xenophobic ilk and political progeny who say Quebec is such a superior and important culture it must have it’s own country, but it needs to oppress all it’s minorities to achieve greatness and to survive.

104. Bugs says:

More anglos on this site agree with you that Quebec shouldn’t get its team back?

That’s odd…

Try the RDS or Radio-Canada sites now, see how many “people” agree with you there.

105. JIMVINNY says:

Ridiculous, yes.  Offensive, yes.  But the truth can hurt, and the fact that it’s ridiculous doesn’t mean it can’t be so.  The average Canadian has felt like this about Quebec for a long time.

Frankly, I say Good Riddance.  Let them separate, and then hand them the bill for their per-capita share of the national debt.  Then watch the exodus of any company that has a hope of surviving.  Then watch the English speaking folks leave as well, when they realize how bad it’s going to be.

Then watch them come crawling back, asking for help.

Typical ad hominem rebuttal. Why am I not surprised coming from you Bugs?

107. HabFanSince72 says:

Another bigot hick heard from.

108. HabFanSince72 says:

What other type of rebuttal would you expect. You didn’t make any factual arguments. If you want to rant, expect people to attack you.

109. Bugs says:

Ad hominem??? You mean, I’m not addressing the FACTS?

“Quebec City is not an NHL city, it is a QMJHL one, les Remparts is as good a it gets for that quaint little burg.” That’s a FACT, Double-H, is it?

If the Habs are a Federalist team then it follows to reason that if Quebeckers want to come up to the big leagues they can shed their little league hopes of creating a 3rd world nation. An independant Quebec wouldn’t stand on it’s own legs for two weeks before it started realizing that things were better off in Confederation.” Those are FACTS, right, Double-H? Posturing one’s own views and seeing the future are FACTS?

“An NHL team in Quebec would just enable more of the same disillusioned thinking that Quebec has what it takes to go it alone in the concert of nations.” Another FACT, Double-H?

“Maybe when les Quebecois accept that they are Canadian and only then will an NHL team in le capitale nationale be in order.” A FACT, yes, Double-H?

Or do you just not know what ad hominem means?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

Not really. Many of your posts are incredibly biased and prejudicial. Especially when the topic is language or Quebec politics. I don’t hear any arguments, premises or conclusions coming from you, just slander.

111. Bugs says:

Ohhhh, you mean I should use rebuttals that address the…”truth” (hmmph) like yours, Vin? I see. Like my absence from this site being due to the FACT that I’m PROBABLY appealing to Harper for Colisee financing? “Truthful”rebuttals like that, mate?

THAT would’ve been the “truth”, right?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

Premises need not be facts. That is what a debate is all about. If one side of a debate was all facts the other side would be unnecessary. I am putting forth my opinion, I never said they were facts. Ad hominem arguments do not refute the content of the premise rather seek to dismiss the whole argument by calling them ridiculous or offensive, hence not worth debating. I obviously struck a chord with you but rather than counter my arguments you choose to resort to name-calling. OK Goldy the mental midget!!! BTW that rant was a classic and made me LMFAO!!!

113. geo_habsgo says:

^^^^^ lolol bugs getting nasty

you guys should just agree to disagree, no?

114. Bugs says:

Shouldn’t’ve added the word “conclusions” to this post, Double-H. You got none. So don’t put yourself on this pedestal of “telling the truth”; you look ridiculous on it.

And you’re being a little offensive.

115. Bugs says:

Now, you’re blathering. Which I don’t mind.

But you’re also accusing me of name-calling. Which I do mind. Because that’s one thing I don’t do. Ever. It’s one of the things that separates me from the lot, actually.

So uhhh, what did I call you?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

My conclusion is that Quebec City should not get an NHL team if it’s tied to separatist (and/or pork barrel) politics. How much clearer can I be. The city should only be awarded a team if it is based on financial viability which at the moment it does not appear to be and rather it is tied to more of the same old same old that’s been going on in la Belle Province since the PQ won their 1st mandate.

But of course that’s just ridiculous and offensive. You’d think I just burned a Bible or something.

If Lats could skate on the ice like you do around this discussion he’d be the next Roadrunner!!!

I never said you called me names. I said you dismissed my opinions by calling them ridiculous and offensive without even countering their points. You might as well just admit that I am right because in so doing you just did.

HH 1

Bugs 0

118. K-hab25 says:

You don’t name call? LMFAO!!!!

119. JIMVINNY says:

I see.  It’s fine for you to make up wild stories, but the second someone else does it, it’s a mortal sin.

Bugs, it’s quite obvious that I have no idea why you were not posting for a while.  If I hurt your feeling by saying that you were campaigning for Colisee funds, I sure am sorry.

120. punkster says:

Uh, you did say “you choose to resort to name-calling”.

Besides that, while I understand your points in the original comment I can’t help but feel this was an HH way of stirring up a sleepy Saturday off-season debate. Possibly a bit over the top?

Whatever. Let’s not let politics spoil fan friendships here shall we?

FREE TIMO!

121. Bugs says:

Politics again. I love it.

In other words, no city should get a team whose “politics” lean in a direction you disagree with? That’s what it boils down to. Heck, maybe Alberta’s teams should be removed for their position on oil-sands.

As for Quebec’s “financial viability”, you don’t know it, but I dare say you would put it ahead of Phoenix’s or Atlanta’s and hell, maybe even ahead of New Jersey’s. So spare me this new “financial viability” angle you’re using to salvage your initial post.

Lemme tell you somethin about “politics”: if Al Qaeda runs a city teeming with hockey fans able to fill a new multi-sport amphitheatre all year long and a Pierre-Karl Péladeau or a J.A. Thompson payin the bill, guess what?

They’ll get a hockey team.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

Yes. He didn’t call me a name he called my post a name. He called it ridiculous and offensive. That’s name-calling. He also called me HH. What is HH and number? Last I heard the octodecimal system was non-existent.

And you. You calling me a pot stirring hornet’s nest kicker? Dem’s drinking words!!!

How many names does Bugs have? Hunh, hunh!!! He calls himself more names than I can remember.

123. Bugs says:

My wild stories aren’t offensive, Vin. Nuance.

And I accept your apology, because yes, it did hurt my feelings. You don’t know me, mate. Please stay away from the word “probably” when discussing me in the future, especially on matters like these. Because any clown can project anything on someone else with the word “probably”.

It’s bad rhetoric, and I know you’re above it from what I’ve seen in the past.

So bash me to hell, that’s fine. But stay away from “probably”, please.

124. punkster says:

Give a man a stick and he’ll poke that wasp nest every time.

As for the beer…you’re on (by the way, wading thru your guitar samples on YT…good stuff there).

FREE TIMO!

I don’t suppport Bettman’s sun-belt strategy either. Do I think Quebec City should be awarded a franchise ahead of Pheonix, Atlanta, Columbus, Florida, and TB? Yes very much.

What turns me off is that it’s been tied to vote buying and corporate welfare handouts. That and the fact that there was an article equating the Habs to federalism with more of the same old Michel Bergeron/Bertrand Raymond whining about how the Habs are not Quebecois enough.

That in itself sets me against Quebec City getting a franchise for the time being.

126. JIMVINNY says:

To say that you aren’t offensive is rather presumptuous, don’t you think?  I didn’t think you’d find what I said hurtful, and clearly I was wrong.  But you also have been offensive in the past, and it seems to me that your history of wild stories grants you certain leeway that others might not get, but trust me, you’re not an innocent in the hurting of feelings category.

Regardless, I’ll stick to “maybe” next time.

127. Bugs says:

You’re confusing “feelings” with “pride” when you say I’ve hurt people’s “feelings” in the past.

Folks have gotten mad at me for hurting their pride when I dash their ridiculous statements, not their feelings for projecting on their character.

Isn’t that correct?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

What dash? More zig and zag, to and fro, bro’.

For the record I never got mad at you regardless that you’ve merely poo-pooed my original premise and in effect haven’t really added anything to the debate.

If I may digress, it is my humble (haha) estimation that you’re a bit pompous and bombastic but that’s pardonable especially in these pages.

Have you refuted me? Hardly! If anything you’ve only reinforced my position by skirting around the ideas put forth by yours truly.

129. Bugs says:

Ridiculousness has no intention of being “refuted”. It serves only be pointed out.

130. fbkj says:

bugs in all seriousness did you just say that you dont name call?

131. Bugs says:

You’re against Quebec getting it’s team back because of “vote buying and corporate welfare handouts”? That’s what’s going on? Another “fact” there?

And because Bergeron and Bertrand want more frenchies on Le Club de hockey canadien?

That’s why Quebec shouldn’t get its team back?

I see.

Well, I’m convinced.

132. JIMVINNY says:

Wrong again, Bugs.  Just because you’ve convinced yourself you’re always right, doesn’t make it so.

However, it’s quite clear that you have no intention of even considering something that doesn’t fit into your rather narrow viewpoint, so I’ll politely excuse myself from the conversation.

More people agreeing with me than with you here Bugsy. Apart from the resident nationalistas and their insults my post is not to be ridiculed. What’s ridiculous is that you blatantly dismiss my arguments as unworthy of engaging in any discussion or debate. Further you call my statements offensive. If you’re offended too friggin’ bad. Get a hanky or get more ornery than you normally are when anyone questions or comments on anything French.

The bottom line as that Quebec City shouldn’t be awarded another NHL franchise at the moment, certainly not under the current circumstances or given the conditions put forth by Harper, Charest and PKP. Pierre Curzi’s recent comments solidify my POV.

134. The Cat says:

That looks like Sidney Crosby.

135. habs-hampton says:

I was thinking the same thing.

136. Drew42 says:

So with that line of thinking… Gomez is our Sidney Crosby… but with more balls and no crybaby habbits…

137. petrov14 says:

When the pic first came up I thought it was Sid.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

138. sholi2000.com says:

I thought the same thing.

They Call Me Shane

139. WarHero says:

Comon now Ian, Lowe was ok, but he was no legend, lol

————————————————————————

140. habs-hampton says:

It’s not like he wanted to wear 99 or even 11.

Also keep in mind, that if Lowe had played for the Habs, he would be fondly remembered like Languay, Emblom, Bouchard, etc. Good, solid, but not “number-retiring” material.

141. The Capitalist Pig says:

His biggest accomplishment may have been in helping the NY Rangers win the Cup in 1994 and break a 54-year curse.

142. habstrinifan says:

Sydney has his faults and HABS did (luckily) get under his skin in the playoffs. Like Carbonneau did to Gretzky. But to compare Sydney, unfavourably, to Gomez is a joke. Just like the nonsense I read about some NHL analysis putting Ron Francis ahead of Guy Lafleur. People pay to go so Lafleur and Crosby. They are GREAT period!

Jameson, are you wanting to join us at the Summit.?? Answer now please. Or click on my profile to e-mail me

144. habstrinifan says:

Sent you email at 8:14 am Sat.

145. habs-hampton says:

I don’t know Montreal that well (just the downtown area around Ste. Catherines, Crescent St., Peel st, etc.). Where was this bar where Alouettes linebacker Walter Spencer got stabbed? Was he somewhere he shouldn’t be or was it just one of those things?

146. Anonymous says:

The bar was on St. Laurent, as to where that is I am just about to find a map. I’d hate to get stabbed with a beer bottle. While we are on the subject of stabbings, probably not a good idea to argue with angry drunks at 4 in the morning, food for thought.

147. HabFab says:

Well, I for one, am very pleased with how Scotty is spending his money. Classy character.

148. LA Loyalist says:

$538k a goal for M. Gomez

Hopefully he can knock that down to $250>$300k a goal.

“Bring on the dancing horses.”

149. mbplekfan says:

He’s not paid to score goals. He’s the playmaker.

150. SeriousFan09 says:

What if he creates 55+ goals with his passing?

151. soflohabsfan says:

You keep bringing this up and I just don’t understand your point yes goals are important and yes Gomez is overpaid. Why only look at his goals compared to salary? What about assists, puck possession, defensive responsibility and leadership? Scott Gomez is not paid to just score goals. Do I wish his cap hit was say 5 million yes but if the only way Scott Gomez is on this team as is then the 7.something cap hit I will take it.

152. Anonymous says:

Yes, athletes do make a ton of money. If you did your job with more entertainment mabe people would pay to watch you. But I agree a few more in the net would be nice, sometimes he doesn’t need to make a perfect pass when the net is open. I blame it on Gretzky. Here is a crazy thought, if Kovalev had the vision that Gretzky had he would have been a better player than Gretzky. Rambling complete

153. crabvader says:

Why is it that all you do is complain or act cynical about the players on this team for?

Always coming back with drawn out, tired subjects like Carey Price and now bringing up something that’s been more than complained about LAST year.

Fact is, Gomez and Gionta were rebuilding chemistry and looked great during the playoffs. I expect them to be better.

Besides, what do you care what he’s being paid? If you knew about all the things your tax money went towards, you would think that Gomez’s salary was just lunch money.

154. slamtherimtim says:

his best assest is to get the puck across the blue line on almost every rush

155. Lazarus_taxa says:

Gomez is a puck transporting machine!  He just takes control of game like no one else, and when he does not have the puck, he will hack your legs off to get it back. 2 cups, TONS of playoff experience, never gets injured, and tons of teams would kill to have him feeding their top wingers (ehem…. Columbus).  With the uncertainty surrounding plecky at the time, picking him up for what we got him for was a no-brainer, and hey, look where we got last year!  I was so happy when we traded for him.   And now, with the emergence of plecky, we have 2 solid top six centers. Who’s Kovalev?

156. Puck Bard says:

That’s asinine.

157. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Is the sun getting to you down there?

158. SeriousFan09 says:

Following that, his biggest accomplishment was vacating the GM position in EDM.

159. The Capitalist Pig says:

And, getting the Sabres to pay stupid money to Thomas Vanik!

160. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

And don’t forget the Ice Cream!

161. christophor says:

The two minute rant (that starts about a minute in) will please you, especially the last line of the video.

162. kordic says:

CLASSIC!!!!

The leafs are like Don Cherry and his suits, absolutely useless!!!!

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

163. crabvader says:

Great video.

I wholeheartedly agree with what the guy with his arms crossed says about the Laffs. It’s the current ownership and GM that make that team a joke. It’s disgusting.

I hate the Leafs because they are our rivals but they have been reduced to nothing less than a mockery of an NHL professional hockey team. They give Toronto (the city) a bad name and I don’t find it amusing like others do that they are in such dire straits.

I want the old, classic rivalry back where it was competitive hatred and not actual human-loathing, crap on everyone because we can’t do anything else hate.

Brian Burke, Ted Nolan, Cliff Fletcher, etc. etc. etc. should all be ashamed of themselves and should be removed from sports altogether. What an embarrassment.

It’s utterly pathetic how low that team has sunk.

164. The Capitalist Pig says:

“150 years ago, the Leafs’ management would have been selling diseased blankets to the Indians.” Man, it’s gotta be up from here for that team.

165. Castor says:

I swear, if G-Luv made 3 million a year he’d be my favourite Habby.

166. crabvader says:

Forget about the money. There, he’s your fave. Now everyone’s happy.

167. crabvader says:

Agreed. More times than not, he gets the job done in that regard. The only guy that could do that every once in a while before Gomez was Kovalev.

This team is not made for dump & chase hockey. Our small forwards can’t outmuscle big defencemen to retrieve the puck. It is essential that we have a guy like Gomez in the lineup to gain entrance to the zone the way he does.

In that respect, again, he is one of the best in the NHL.

168. slamtherimtim says:

thats right they cant dump and chase , and having gomez give them posession of the puck deep in the other teams end , thus creating more scoring chances in a puck possion game , we got hit with a couple injuries at bad times , i think gionta was the worse , but i see good things this year once in the other teams end , with everyone healthy the team is pretty good and PK all year will be something

He is definitely a legend in Edmonton my friend.!

170. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah – well Michael Ryder is a legend in Bonavista Newfoundland.

171. habstrak says:

Don’t forget that Turner Stevenson’s a legend in Port Alberni!

172. shootdapuck says:

Not to mention Lachute!

Lowe Brothers – best ice cream in the province!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

173. HabFanSince72 says:

St.Laurent and Prince Arthur. Very safe.

174. habaddict_andy says:

He’s counting the # of replies he’s getting after he says something against the team.

175. Say Ash says:

Exactly. Then he had to play a tonne of PK for a stretch, and he did that pretty damn well, too.

176. SeriousFan09 says:

Individual tickets go on sale at 10 AM tommorow, waiting room opens at 9:30, who’s joining me in the great game of internet roulette to get a ticket to see Saku?

177. ooder says:

see ya there SF.. gonna be a fun wait

——————

88 is the new 23

178. sholi2000.com says:

I picked up my Minnesota Wild tickets yesterday.  It took one minute and 26 seconds.

20 March 2010

Habs@Wild

Road Trip anyone?  lol

They Call Me Shane

179. Keith says:

I find it HIGHLY amusing that they are in such dire straits, AND it is my greatest hope that they will SUCK and continue to SUCK for the next 43 years and beyond. What the guy said at the end about giving diseased blankets to the indians was pretty strong though.

180. smiler2729 says:

Ted Nolan? He coached the Sabres and the Isles and has nothing to do with the Laffs so why bring his good name into that crap?

181. CanadienBoy says:

second that !!

182. Puck Bard says:

Crabvader, what is up with that picture!

183. crabvader says:

It’s from a show called Delocated. Witness protection program/reality series spoof.

184. Danno says:

Nothing left on tickets site except bad split seats and exhibition matches. :(

Bummer.

The early bird gets the worm I guess. Maybe next year…

By the way, the site does not show you that for matches before Oct. 07, you are buying an exhibition game. So buyer beware…

Edit – now they are showing pre-season on those games.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

185. Aerobiz says:

So I couldn’t get any tickets because i didn’t get through the waiting room in time.

Is this it for the season, or did they only make a certain amount of tickets available for purchase now, and will release access to the additional tickets at set time periods.

Your answer will determine how soggy my cornflakes will be from the copious amount of tears that will be flowing into the bowl.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

186. Danno says:

I too feel like the little green guy from Just for Laughs…

Mommy! It’s over!!!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

187. RGM says:

On the 15th of every month they release some additional times for the games during the upcoming month.

Sorry to hear that today wasn’t your day – hopefully in the near future!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

188. HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t despair.

Last year you could get tickets at cost on ebay and stub hub (except for the Bruins or Leafs).

I had tix for Pittsburgh but I couldn’t attend because of a xmas office party. I had to let them go below cost.

I am soooo against Quebec City getting an NHL franchise. Quebec City is not an NHL city, it is a QMJHL one, les Remparts is as good a it gets for that quaint little burg.

If the Habs are a Federalist team then it follows to reason that if Quebeckers want to come up to the big leagues they can shed their little league hopes of creating a 3rd world nation. Canada is one of the best countries in the world and I am very proud to be Canadian. An independant Quebec wouldn’t stand on it’s own legs for two weeks before it started realizing that things were better off in Confederation.

Maybe when les Quebecois accept that they are Canadian and only then will an NHL team in le capitale nationale be in order. Any province that needs the amount of equalization payments to make ends meet should accept reality for what it is.

190. Danno says:

If Harper gives Quebec money to buy an NHL team Toronto will be asking for the same thing.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

191. Bugs says:

Ridiculous and a little offensive.

192. HabFanSince72 says:

Idiot.

193. RS says:

It really puzzles me that this sort of stuff appears on a Hab fan site. If your knickers are in such a knot about Quebec’s drive for self-determination, why aren’t you a Leaf fan or a Flames fan?

You certainly don’t have to be a sovereignist to be a Habs fan (I’m an anglo from TO), but why would someone who bashes Quebec (or as some posters do, complain about the need for French players, coaches, management) be a Habs fan?

194. K-hab25 says:

Well said!! I always get a kick out of how it seems, to me anyway, that they think they are European and not Canadian. Your heritage may be one thing, but if you’re born in Canada then you’re Canadian, not european.

195. light_n_tasty says:

I’m not against Quebec city getting a franchise, as long as Winnipeg gets one first.  If there are franchises in Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas, Raleigh, etc, why NOT Quebec?

But why the eff should Quebec city getting $200 mil in funding if we only got $10 mil for the MTS centre in Winnipeg?!!?

BOGUS.  It’s because Harper needs votes in Quebec.  The same reason why Jacques Demers was appointed to the senate.

For the record, Dave (HH) is not a troll or an idiot. I met him last year at the Summit and I can tell you he is a loyal Hab fan. His views may not be the same as some others on this site, but I still think they are worth reading and debating.

As for Quebec City receiving an NHL franchise, I think there are some basis hurdles that go beyond what has been discussed here today. I personally feel that Kansas City would be next in line for any re-located or expansion franchise. They have a state of the art building and a rich, well connected onwer. The NHL is a gate driven league and there’s no doubt that Quebec City could fill a building on a consistent basis. The real question is could they sell enough luxury boxes to make a go of it? There is also the issue of sharing television rights as the existing Canadian teams might not want to split the pie into more pieces. Lastly, there is the hot topic of government funding for privately run hockey teams. I’m sure that Hamilton and/or Winnipeg would want the same treatment. The only reason that this is being raised right now is because Harper is a bit of a hockey fanatic who is also desperate to gain some seats in Quebec. I can’t see the NHL expanding anytime soon so I guess the Canadian cities and KC will be fighting to get any re-located franchises. That’s something that Bettman seems loathe to do at the present moment.

197. Aerobiz says:

Thanks for the info.

Like most people here I was holding out hope for Saku tickets.

That’s going to be an emotional night. I hope we trounce the Ducks, but that Saku scores the last goal of the game.

198. RGM says:

I must say that I’m very surprised (pleasantly, since I was fortunate enough to get tix) that they didn’t make the Anaheim game an “Optimum” night. Prices go up 30% for those nights, and really, will there be a more tug-on-the-heartstrings game than Saku’s return?

Good luck with your hunt!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

Not lame at all. We’ve finally had some prosperity in Quebec for the last few years since Charest has been in office. Prosperity that was non-existent while the separatist debate raged on. Now Quebec is asking for another hand-out. This is more than just about sports. Why did Pierre Curzi come out with his little rant about how the Habs are no longer the team of Quebec but of the Federalists recently? Quebec City does not deserve a team by divine right. As long as a team in Quebec City is equated to a team for only the pure laine Quebecois I am against a team being there. Once the team becomes a team for the citizens of the city of Quebec I am onboard.

200. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, every time those xenophobic airheads get on their soapboxes about a pure laine Quebec it scares off investment and corporations. Montreal could have rivaled Toronto for economic strength if it hadn’t been for Levesque starting all this garbage up in his time.

201. REB says:

Montreal DID rival Toronto for economic strength ubtil Levesque started all this garbage.  Petty politicians will do whatever it takes to further their ambitions of power.

You mean Toronto rivalled Montreal. ;-)

The Alouetts and Hamilton game just starting, should be a good one. Wonder if AC is back.? I had better go downstairs and watch.

204. rocketsglare says:

Major props to Dave Stubbs on an excellent  article on Scott Gomez. The article reveals much about Gomez the

player and person. His play will be key for the Habs and knowing that second best is not good enough for him

is music to my ears. Love his passion, determination, and commitment to the team and to those in need.

Super guy.

As for a team in Quebec City, bring it on. Canadiens-Nordique games where some of the best and most memor-

able in Canadiens history.

Considering that your avatar is Neitzche I find that statement quite amusing. If you’ve read The Geneology of Morals you’d realize that the whole gist of the separatist movement is steeped in slave morality.

The idiot was Pierre Curzi for calling the Habs the team of Federalists and not of the real Quebeckers. That’s what he was implying right? To be a real Quebecker you have to want Quebec Independance, whatever that means, because Independance in French apparently comes with a bunch of strings attached and conditions.

Like I said, as long as an NHL team in Quebec City is tied to politics and is anything other than a team for the CITY of Quebec and not the PROVINCE of Quebec (accoring to Pierre Curzi the non-Federalists) I am against it.

206. CBrady12 says:

So according to you Pierre Curzi speaks for all of Quebecers…Lame again…common man you can do better..

Of course he doesn’t and neither does the BQ or the PQ. They try their damnest to make us all think that they do. It’s their little illusion. The bottom line is stated below so I wont repeat it.

208. Habscore says:

Hello my H.I.O. family!! It’s been weeks since I haven’t written in here tho I still have read posts….Hope everyone, including Sir Boone and Stubbs, have had a great Habsless summer (felt long tho!!)….

So let the ‘who’s-gonna-wear-the-“C” ‘ and ‘who-will-be-in-nets’ controversies begin!!!

………………………………………………………………..

YES HABS CAN!!

209. _Habsoloutly_ says:

he’s not a habs fan, just an idiot who likes to run his mouth and start, continue and then brag about the arguments he starts here.  Hopefully one day the powers that be here wake up and get rid of trolls like this.

210. likehoy says:

i think you missed the point…

i think HH is trying to say that the habs should stand alone from quebec and not be associated hand in hand. Some of the things said about the habs is just utter ridiculousness in terms of being french and playing in a french city. there’s no rule written the habs need french players, but the team comes under a tremendous amount of pressure to have french players.

he’s saying that quebec city with a team would mean their whole team would be based on the Francophone philosophy, rather than being run as a proper NHL team.

if you hate the province and government…that should have nothing to do with the sports team you cheer for.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

211. K-hab25 says:

For the same reason a Yankee fan in Wisconsin doesn’t give a rats a** about the politics going on in NYC, or if one of there players is from the Bronx. I love the team, not the people that live Montreal and despite what people like bugs think, they’re not the same thing.

212. SeriousFan09 says:

HH is a pretty concise poster generally who is sincere in his opinions, a troll would be observer or as we like to call him, Tony242’s 27th identity.

213. punkster says:

Pot?

FREE TIMO!

214. _Habsoloutly_ says:

As I said, he starts arguments,  continues arguements and then brags about it after the fact. I’ve seen him do this many times on this site.  He is an immature little idiot that causes more trouble on here than a lot of other posters.  I don’t give a rats ass if he’s a summiter or not, he’s a troublemaker pure and simple.  The fact that you are so eager to defend him put’s you right in his league.

The Rocket and the Riots – a great trip down memory lane from Robert L.

216. BJ says:

Does anyone know if its possible to get a internet stream for the Alouettes game now vs Hamilton?

217. punkster says:

Those who know him understand. HH loves to stir the pot, generate a reaction, get folks off their lazy butts and get involved in the discussion. No better way than tossing a flashbang into a crowded room.

FREE TIMO!

218. Aerobiz says:

With regards to the political debate below, it’s hard for those who are not from Quebec and those who live here to understand each other’s view point or circumstances. I am an Anglophone born and raised in Quebec.

My French is terrible, not for lack of trying but because I struggle with all languages. (Some people are good at math, some aren’t)

Montreal is my home, but I am treated differently because I am not Francophone. It’s harder to get a job, make friends, run a business or basically do just about anything because of the very real discrimination that is constantly present.

Quebec Anglos are second class citizens. But again, this is my home.

When I meet and Albertan or Ontarian who says something like “Let Quebec separate if they want to. Good Riddance!” It’s painful to hear, but I understand how they feel. If I were in their place and only hearing about the Quebec drive for independence through the media without actually living through it, I might very well feel the same way.

It is hard for them to understand how devastating it would be for people like me, who love being a part of Canada. Who have seen our rights being systematically taken away from us. Our school systematically shut down. Our numbers systematically diminished. The idea that a parent would have to fight for the right to send their child to the school of their choice is a terrifying precedent for what I fear is to come.

We have no protection because the Canadian government is paralyzed by the threat of separation being held like a knife to their throats.

Quebec Anglos are already a freedom less people in a free country. What would happen to us if Quebec did separate.

How does this relate to Hockey? Whenever I would walk down the street with my Habs jersey on game day during the playoffs this past spring, people on the street would smile, give the thumbs up, shout “Go Habs Go!” or ask “Qui va gagner ce soir?”. Whether you’re wearing red, white and blue or bleu, blanc, rouge you’re part of the same club.

It made me feel… at home.

The Montreal Canadiens are a unifying entity in a polarized province that its constantly tearing itself apart. That is a wonderful thing and a large part of my love for the Habs.

If Quebec City gets a team we will lose this. Hockey will be turned into another forum for “us against them”.

A good rivalry? Yes. Good for the fragile social make up of this province. No. Not in any way.

I hope it never happens.

French and English, Quebec and Canada. We are so much stronger together than we are apart.

219. JIMVINNY says:

When I say “good riddance” to the separatists, I wish I could direct it only at the the separatists.  I know there are anglos like you that don’t want to leave, and it’s people like you that I truly feel for.  It’s not fair what you’ve had to experience in your own city, and frankly, it seems to me it’s a legalized form of prejudice.

To be honest, I don’t really want Quebec to leave.  What would happen to the Canadiens if they did?  Kind of hard to call a team the name of a different country.  A lot of other good things come out of Quebec as a part of Canada, and I know we’d lose all those things if the separatists were to get their way.  I just hate the way these people have abused the English speaking people in their own province, and in the rest of the country.  And I really hate the way the Canadian gov’t panders to them.

Well said!!! Heartfelt, emotional, honest. And I agree!!!

221. observer says:

BS! It is 2010 now. “Anglophones” are not even the biggest minority in Quebec or the reverse “Francophones” in other parts of Canada.

222. RGM says:

A little something for all of us going to the Anaheim game on 1/22/11:

Montreal Canadiens v. Anaheim Ducks – Saku Koivu Comes Home

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

223. BJ says:

Thanks very much. Its great to watch my favorite football team from Germany. Thanks again.

224. scrowe21 says:

You’re welcome

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

225. Aerobiz says:

I hear you James. And thanks for the support.

It really must be hard for other Canadians to see thinsg that way because they are being indoctrinated just as much as the separatists are.

As for “legalized prejudice” you, I agree with the sentiment if not the terminology.

While I would most certainly be arrested for hate speech if I were to rewrite some of the same articals from Le Journal and La Press and change the word Anglo to “Jews” or “Blacks”, to say that it has been legalized sends I think a different message.

I feel that what is going on might even be somewhat worse. It has not been legalized, it is being ignored, denied and swept under the carpet.  Law can be argued, but you can’t talk to an ostritch with its head in the sand.

226. JIMVINNY says:

Perhaps “legalized” is the wrong word.  When writing that post, I struggled to find a word that fit better, and couldn’t.  “Accepted” is probably a better choice.  And you are right in that it’s worse.  Were it to have been legalized, it could be contested in a court of law.  the way it is going now, where it happens, but isn’t acknowledged, is worse, because how can you fight something that no one will admit is happening?