Gomez did not practice

Jacques Martin did not do a media briefing.

And since he’s the only one allowed to offer updates on injured players, no one knows what ails Scott Gomez or how long he might be out of the lineup.

As was the case during the second period of the game against Ottawa, Jeff Halpern centres Mike Cammalleri and Travis Moen at this morning’s practice.

The Tomas Plekanec and Lars Eller lines remianed intact, with Dustin Boyd joining Maxim Lapierre and Tom Pyatt.

The Canadiens fly to Windsor at noon on Thursday, then bus to Detroit.

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Jeff Halpern

1. Bugs says:

Whoa, whoa, “set it up”; he REDIRECTED a pass to Gio.

Gio “set up” the Hamr’s goal.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

2. Chuck says:

Freudian slip. He meant to say “Sidney Crosby”. I hope.

Centre Hice: one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

3. avatar_58 says:

Maybe it’s me, but I’d rather have Picard…

4. Canadiangrrl says:

Which league?

5. joeybarrie says:

The Leafs suck so bad. I cant believe there were people who actually said they would make the playoffs. AND do better than the Habs….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

6. db says:

I hope we dont see the Pens in the playoffs…

and damn those Leafs still suck.  Thanks BB

7. JD_ says:

“Luke Schenn is one of the most complete players in the league.”

You heard it here first.

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

Why couldn’t the Canadiens have been so lucky to get that #1 pick…

9. Matt_in_TO says:

What the hell was Komisarek doing there?  Get your whole body down to block the pass.  Man am I glad we didn’t resign that bum.  He’s got a bad case of the blue & white disease.

- In Price We Trust

10. Bill says:

Leafs vs Pens on TSN as Leafs lose:

0-0 All McGuire can talk about is how good Kessel is.

1-0 All McGuire can talk about is how good The Monster is.

2-0 All McGuire can talk about is how good Schenn is.

3-0 All McGuire can do is start to talk about how tough the Leafs are and then

4-0 All McGuire can talk about is how Wilson shouldn’t have had tough guys on the ice.

Though I actually wish the Leafs would beat them, this broadcast is kind of fun.

Oh, McGuire just gave a shoutout to Price for MVP though … as runner-up to Sid.

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. Bugs says:

So much for wantin the leafs to beat the Pens.

Gosh, they’re pathetic…

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

12. avatar_58 says:

Ooooh baby, going to get ugly here

13. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Crosby making the Leafs his bitch.

14. Say Ash says:

It’s that time of day again when I’m reminded that the Leafs suck.

15. Propwash says:

Leafs on the ropes….serves me right for rooting for them…

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

16. Propwash says:

Really bad fauxhawk.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

17. Danno says:

What’s up with Phaneuf’s hair?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

18. Willy the bum says:

For the standings, no. :)

Have you tried different browsers? Chrome, Opera, Firefox and IE.

Try this. Go to http://speedtest.net and tell me what your results are.

I need some data.

20. LizardKing1967 says:

remind me again why TSN stands for Toronto Sports Network…here it is. Talking about all the free agent signings, and Burke!?!? did the best????

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

21. CHsam says:

I love it. Absolute clown. Easy to rip on young kids with talent saying they have no potential.. McGuire and Leafdom just SALIVATING to have players like Subban, Eller, Camalleri, Price… Pierre should be the next GM of the Leafs. That would be PERFECT.

22. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yup, the Jersey’s and patches used in cards today are game used.  Thats why these cards are worth some $$$.

In this example a piece of Jersey, Emblem, and Number from a game used Jacques Plante jersey.

In this example a piece of game used skate from Maurice Richard, Elmer Lach, and Toe Blake.

In this example a piece of game used skate, Jersey and glove from Aurel Joliat.

And last but not least, a piece of glove from the great Jacques Plante.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Bell is trying to choke off video streaming by their customers on lower-end services it seems, you might be able to upgrade to the next level and get it working again but I’m trapped. You could try Videotron.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s just stalled, it’s blocked HH. I literally can not get a working video of NHL highlights off NHL.com and I can’t watch a CBC stream of hockey. I’ve heard about Bell targeting overusers by blocking what they use most.

Fibe doesn’t get out where I live anyway, if they’re trying to edge me over to a higher brand of service they should try offering it in my area.

25. christophurrr says:

bus from windsor?

i don’t like dealing with US airport security either. don’t blame them.

or

maybe they’re all a little gun-shy with the body scanners.

26. avatar_58 says:

True, but I’m just saying

27. Canadiangrrl says:

I said a few pre-emptive Hail Marys, Our Fathers, and Glory Bes, and then I went with it.

28. christophurrr says:

you’re no more anonymous on here than you are on fb if the people who want to know want to know

29. punkster says:

Gomez doesn’t need practice.

Pratice needs Gomez.

30. Propwash says:

ADTHE and Channelsurfing are working for me with no issues

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

I am with Bell. No issues with streaming media here. No throttling either. Must be a local issue.

What happens with DSL, and they claimed this was the issue with Cable as it is shared bandwidth, is that with mroe subscribers comes a degradation of the service.

I had the same issue until I went to Fibre. Until then streaming media used to freeze my service regularly.

Maybe Bell is trying to force people off of DSL to Fibre they way they pushed people off of dial-up.

32. observer says:

Laws they BOUGHT and PAID FOR! Long live capitalist freedom(NOT)!

33. avatar_58 says:

No real names here, versus facebook. Maybe it’s me, but I wouldn’t put any of that in writing WITH your name, hometown and whatever else they give up. Common sense..

34. ctony says:

He said something like, “he may not be top 6 or top 9. we don’t know yet.  what we know is that montreal traded a starting goalie for an unproven forward.”  I think his point is regardless of how Eller develops, he was an unproven NHL player and we could have had more.  I don’t think his primary point was to knock Eller.

35. observer says:

For 2 examples – are ADTHE and Channelsurfing working now?

36. observer says:

For 2 examples – are ADTHE and Channelsurfing working now?

37. observer says:

ive had bell dsl from when they first started never had this problem. i am in montreal proper. even nfl highlights on nfl com site after games are npow blocked. i couldnt watch cbc game last week without constant stalling. they have started doing something in last few days – right now calling bell internet service i am on hold for over 20 minutes as i type this. i dont think rogers has internet in quebec? absolutely none of those tv sites are working for me. none. sometimes 4 streams for a game and none work.

38. Propwash says:

No issues here, but I’m on Videtron. Prolly jinxed it tho.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

39. VancouverHab says:

Which would make you — unless you are being ironical — a cretin for rejoicing over physical harm to a team-member.

40. adam76 says:

or habsinsideout

41. adam76 says:

Hummm – that is different.  I wonder if they are blocking via geography?  Check your inbox – might have an answer for you.

42. avatar_58 says:

Yeah I think people forget these sites aren’t exactly legal. I see them posted on facebook out in the open and I shake my head

43. SeriousFan09 says:

They started it with me last Wednesday, had to listen to the radio call for two games, managed to find a stream they weren’t blocking on SAT afternoon than last night, I was back to the CJAD online feed.

I sent an email, first response said “Your computer isn’t working” and 2nd email they just ignored me.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Adam, they’re not even letting me watch highlight videos on NHL.com anymore, perfectly legal. I can’t watch a CBC online feed of a game either. This is beyond blocking illegal content (and if they really wanted to choke this stuff, they’d block access to Pirate Bay and other big Torrent engines).

45. observer says:

Yes, with Bell and never had this problem before.

46. adam76 says:

You mean ISPs are blocking illegal sites that break copyright?  THE NERVE!

47. andrewberkshire says:

I heard it, and then on his next shift I believe Eller set up Hamrilk’s goal.

48. andrewberkshire says:

I would hope the jerseys aren’t real. As much as it devalues the card, the jerseys on their own are more valuable.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Are you with Bell? Having the same issue, getting Rogers installed tommorow because of it.

50. BJT says:

Uh oh. Is it really happening? Is it for real? Is it.. Is it..

A slow computer!?!?

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

51. BJT says:

Thought so. ‘Cause yeah, during the game (I’m sure you saw, but I’ll repeat it anyway) PMG was saying how bad Eller’s decisions were & that he might never be a top 6 forward.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

52. joeybarrie says:

You want our team to lose?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. observer says:

Are ALL TV shows, networks, sports being blocked on the internet as of starting a couple of days back? Who is doing it? ADTHE and CHANNELSURFING even JUSTIN SPORTS EITH CONTINUALLY STALL OR DONT WORK and even CBC legal channel stalls. What money grubbing suit is doing this?

54. habguy says:

so Gomez is injured?

yahoo!   now I’m in a great mood!

55. jimmy shaker says:

I’m going to the game as my Christmas present from my wife.  7th row behind the net.  We’re actually taking the tunnel bus to the game, maybe on the way back we can jump on to the canadiens bus, since they’ll be driving by my house on the way to the airport.  Someone get me the name of bus driver…Quick!

SHaker

56. DearyLeary says:

You could always catch them on the tunnel bus to Detroit.

57. VancouverHab says:

If his wife called him that, it would a real problem….

58. jimmy shaker says:

man I live here in windsor, and I’m going to be at work tomorrow during the day, that sucks.  I would’ve dropped by the airport to see what I could see.   What time will they be back at the windsor airport friday night to fly out to toronto?  anyone, anyone, anyone….Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.  Guessing pretty much right after the game around 11pm.

SHaker

59. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I just love how Price is showing everyone he belong’s on this card.

60. andrewberkshire says:

I was definitely talking about team990.

61. habs11s says:

FYI http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545723

___________________________________________________________________________
    _____________________

62. Everlasting1 says:

I’m intrigued by this upcoming fiction flick, The Intangibles. No doubt starring Scott Gomez. It must come with a strong supporting cast and award-winning special effects..not to mention a hefty budget. I’m looking forward to the spoiler, though somehow feel like I’ve seen it already.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

63. HNS says:

Don’t tell anyone but I’m with you on this one. Just for tonite though…….

64. BJT says:

yesterday he was spouting off in the game about Larry potentially not being but top 6, however pretty sure andrew was talking about what Pierre was talking about on the team 990.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

65. Bugs says:

Felt the same way about Eller. Said the same things.

But gotta admit, last 10 games, that friggin Dane has been growin on me.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

66. Say Ash says:

you’re in fine form today

67. _Habsoloutly_ says:

My wife calls him “Mr. Peanut”

68. avatar_58 says:

I’m not sure yet. I sorta don’t care, crosby fails or the leafs fail yet again…..sort of a toss up. Seeing the pens lose their streak to the leafs though? That would be pretty epic

69. Bugs says:

Really? Dang, in that case I’m the one who heard wrong, Berkie.

Apologies.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

70. HNS says:

PG is a self opportunist blow hole. I know cause I sometimes work with him. That being said, Eller absolutely has the right stuff to be a top 5 power foward in the NHL. He really needs some high calibre coaching to get under way. Last nite he had the puck on an odd man rush and decided to pass instead of shoot. TSN had a great iso of one of the coaches telling him to shoot and not be worried about being selfish with the puck. Coaching is the key with this kid.

71. Bugs says:

Agree. Cuz, hey, c’mon, you know, it was funny at first, we all had a good chuckle about it, first one to admit it, but now, the party’s over and it’s time to look at da big picture. Gotta be grown-up and see the issues that could affect our biness if those half-primates keep losin. Those issues are not good.

Sonsabastiches gotta start winnin; plain’n’simple.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

72. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve noticed, and I’m sure his cohosts notice as well.

73. Mattyleg says:

Leafs’ll do that to ya.

Look at poor Gill. Was a total write-off in TO, then went to Pitts, won a cup, and is now our best/second-best shutdwon d-man (with the odd brain-fart, but whaddayagonnado?).

Not surprised that Komo’s gone the way he has.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

74. mbplekfan says:

Pacioretty scored another goal tonight. He has 15 on the season now. If he finishes the year at this pace do we see a late season callup or is he on the farm till next year?

75. MikeC says:

best 5on5 player? ever heard of a guy named Tomas? He happens to be our best 5 on 5 player….and best PP player….and one of our top PK players

76. Propwash says:

*Bows*

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

77. Bill says:

This is an incredibly obnoxious and pretentious post, even by your standards.Telling people they “don’t understand” or to “go cheer for another team”? These are just useless comments that have nothing to do with the kind of friendly debate that makes a forum like this enjoyable.

Full Breezer 4 Life

78. Drive_For_25 says:

Pyatt is not that fast…c’mon…your smarter than that dog!!

79. andrewberkshire says:

Not to mention that it has nothing to do with what SmartDog was saying.

80. FormalWare says:

Thanks, all!

81. Bugs says:

1. Yes. Pye-in-da-sky is useful. Excellent defender and reliable grit. Saw it with our own eyes in the playoffs. Deserves a spot. And it’s the 4th line ferpetessakes. He does everything a 4th-liner should: don’t get scored on, dump it in, tire out the opposition, throw some checks, create some energy, and maybe pot it one once in a blue moon. No complaints. Let’m play.

2. How long can Halpie last as 2nd line ctr until Gomie returns is the question. Is Gomie out for 2-3 games? No problem. Out for 2-3 months, then it could be a problem. Must have more data.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

82. punkster says:

Trade him. Trade while his value is high. DO IT PG!!!

83. PrimeTime says:

Thank you very much but I disagree that it has nothing to do with “friendly debate”.  My position is well known to cheer and critique the TEAM, not individual players (or their salaries) which opposes that of SmartDog.  I believe my reply supports that….you don’t?

84. Mike T says:

I’d prefer to see Eller take his spot..at the start of the season i thought third line was good for eller…28 games later…he’s showing the promise of a top six!!!!

Quite a remarkable amount of progress is being displayed by the Dane

85. ooder says:

hah u actually had me laughing out loud on that one

——————

88 is the new 23

Round of applause!!!

87. SmartDog says:

Thanks Bill, Andrew.

I’ve gotta skip his responses from now on.

——-

88. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Obviously I understand an offer is for a contract, but if you are offering 3.5 a year when you know others offering 4+ a year, makes it obvious you aren’t really serious, just trying to be “polite”.

kinda like when you got dumped by a high school sweetheart and she says “let’s be friends” it’s an offer, but most of us wont sign up…..

89. nunacanadien says:

Hey, look at it this way, at least now we’ll see if Gomez’s outrageous salary is worth that much.  But really, when you look at his playmaking of late, it was bad, and in the playoffs, Gomez was almost absent.  But his cheerleading and morale skills are probably second to none.  Do we want to have a stable pony that we pay outrageously?  One that doesn’t score?  One that provides a large number of assists though.  Without Gomez there, how many goals will we drop? But then we are among the lowest scoring teams in the league though.  So really are we paying Gomez for what he is worth, for what he contributes?  This is like the Koivu argument all over again, Gomez is our next Koivu to crap all over once Gomez learns he can’t speak Quebecois for trying.

90. nunacanadien says:

Imagine if we could use the money we pay Markov and Gomez to get a St.Louis or LeCav type player, heck Ovechkin cause we pay Gomez and Markov so much, heck we could buy the Toronto Maple Leaves for their salaries….but really when you look at the hit we’ve taken to pay these two, for their production of late we are squandering our future.  Let them go, they are injured players someone will pick up eventually.  And then they’ll get hurt again and which ever team picks them up will be stuck with horrible salary cap.

91. punkster says:

Just got off the phone with my brother, a Habs fan in Leaf territory. Laughing his ass off at this game.

And now this game gets even dumber. Komi fights again? It’s obvious he wants to get hurt again, take the rest of the season off and get out of this hellhole that is the ACC.

92. matmacat says:

Quick quiz. If any team can shut down s.crosby, which would it be?

93. Duracell3 says:

So…how stoked are Bruins fans for that pick?

94. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Tonight’s action not helping the Habs.

Leafs playing terrible against the high-flying Pens, but in fairness to the Loafs, the Pens are unbeatable right now. Looks like the self defence classes, and the pugnacious and truculent attitude is not helping.

Flyers beating SJ.  Giroux is amazing… brings back the David Fischer 2006 NHL draft – woulda / coulda / shoulda feelins’

Nashville beating Detroit 2 -1 . Ouch. With a 10-2-2 record at home, and possibly looking at a 3 game losing streak, Detroit should be tough on Friday.

95. punkster says:

Loafs baking another comeback?

96. Willy the bum says:

Habs.  Proof: last year’s playoffs round.

97. Propwash says:

Leafs just potted 2……

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

98. punkster says:

Duhhhhhh…

99. JD_ says:

They’re doin’ it for Ronnie.

100. punkster says:

It’s their tribute to JL:

Why don’t we do it in the road
    Why don’t we do it in the road
    Why don’t we do it in the road
    Why don’t we do it in the road
    No one will be watching us
    Why don’t we do it in the road

101. habs001 says:

leafs in 28th place going into this game yet only 2 games below 500…this is what the shoot out does

102. habs001 says:

san jose ties the game vs flyers

103. 25 cups says:

LOL!  I just did a google image search on “left wing pinko”… one of the images on the first page was HardHabits’ CdoubleH logo.

Fire the system! – TheMostCupsPeriod

104. habs001 says:

couture 21 years old and has 13 goals…hopefully eller will have stats like this next year

105. punkster says:

Beautiful! HH is famous.

106. JD_ says:

They’re reachin’ a little further back:

What have I done to deserve such a fate
    I realize I have left it too late
    And so it’s true, pride comes before a fall
    I’m telling you so that you won’t lose all

I’m a loser
    And I lost to damn Sidney Crosby
    I’m a loser
    And I’m everything I appear to be

107. Matt_in_TO says:

Whoa, that was some shot

- In Price We Trust

108. Propwash says:

Well, thats all she wrote, eh?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

109. habaholic68NJ says:

Man.   How can a team (lafs) possibly suck this bad?

110. punkster says:

Here I stand head in hand
    Turn my face to the wall
    If it’s gone I can’t go on
    Feelin’ two-foot small

Everywhere people stare
    Each and every day
    I can see them laugh at me
    And I hear them say

Hey you’ve got to hide your Leafs away
    Hey you’ve got to hide your Leafs away

111. habs001 says:

pitts scores on their second shot in the 3rd…leafs 15-2 in shots…i still dont think pitts is that good…talent wise no comparison but i might take pitts vs the leafs if we had to play one of them in the playoffs…

That’s crazy. I traced it to this comment. Hi-friggin-larious!!!

113. SeriousFan09 says:

The key is having a gameplan to shut down Crosby, which the Habs do have right now.

114. punkster says:

Don’t let this go to your right-wing tankaholic head now.

115. Seps says:

TommyB brought up a great point on where to draw the line on hits from behind.  Like what is different between the hit on Weber last night and other hits from behind.  Headshots included, I think they should start dishing out huge fines like the NFL is doing right now, like don’t suspend Kelly but give him a $50000 fine.  Guarantee you he’d think twice about it next time and if he doesn’t, then he gets a $100000 fine and a suspension.  This is the only way you will eliminate these hits from the game.  Hit them in the wallets, especially a guy like Colton Orr who might only get 1M a year ($12000 or so a game) so he would get affected from a fine worse (and he’s more probable to make a hit like that) than a guy like Crosby, where $50000 is penny change and he wouldn’t (very unlikely he would) commit an offense like that.

Sorry if the brackets make it hard to read.

116. ProHabs says:

I didn’t see the Leafs game tonight but I see Komisarek got into 2 fights. Anyone watching the game, how did he do.

117. Propwash says:

We are the Maple Leafs, my friend.

And we’ll keep on sucking ’till the end.

We are the Maple Leafs.

We are the Maple Leafs.

All kinds of losers

‘Cause we are the Maple Leafs.

Thank you Burke.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

118. habs001 says:

that is true…their forward talent is not better than ours…while it would be nice to score more goals(we can do that by scoring a bit more on the pp and maybe getting a 3rd line player who is like pyatt,moen or lapps but can score 18 goals) …i believe if we were 15-20 in g.a.a. our scorers would have 5-7 more goals but we would be much worse in the standings….few years ago i remember looking at the 80s oiler stats that showed they scored a lot of goals but gave up a lot…the habs in the 70s had great g.a.a. stats yet lafleur and shutt scored 60 goals…if they did not care about d lafleur would have scored 80 goals

119. showey47 says:

he was the second best fighter in both fights,lol

120. Snair11 says:

Anyone watching the flyers/sharks game

closest no goal i have ever seen

121. Snair11 says:

I really do not miss him!

122. showey47 says:

He was a -2 in only 10 minutes of ice time. He has been getting less then 10 minutes per game over the last 3 or 4 games.

123. SmartDog says:

I have two SERIOUS questions…. honestly, I have my own view but I want to know what other people think and why.

1. Is Pyatt really that useful?  He’s at the bottom of the +/-, he seems to get (and sometimes make) offensive chances but his ability to bury them is absolute shiite.  He’s not that big, or that fast.  So in all honesty, tell me what it is I am missing about this guy?  To me he’s like Tom the Bomb but with no Bomb.

2. How will we fare without Gomez. The argument was made on here that we’ll miss his energy etc.  I’m open-minded. It could be true. I don’t think so, but it’s an emperical question…. if he’s out a few games we might notice more than I think.  What do YOU think?

No crapping on me please, I am not bashing either of these players – I’m trying to see what other people see that I (obvioulsy) don’t.  If you can’t appreciate that, just move along svp.

——-

124. punkster says:

Theme, Proper….theme! Lennon, my man.

for the benefit of Mr. B.
    There will be a show to see on TSN
    The Maple Loafs will all be there
    Late of Pablo-Fanques is there, what a scene
    Over men and horses hoops and garters
    Lastly through a hogshead of real fire!
    In this way Mr. B. will challenge the world!

125. coachdoug says:

There is a little imaginary Milan Lucic who stands on his shoulder taunting him…damaged goods after that fight

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

126. observer says:

2nd time in a week this time a 4-1 3rd period lead that absolute piece of garbage barbarovsky blew a lead, flyers scored in overtoime and had go0al disallowed than this thing they found playing ball hockey goalie in russia allowed every single shootout attempt.   i guess the genius gtm who had his brains beat in too many times is waiting for the saviour leighton.

127. SeriousFan09 says:

Pyatt’s leading the team in SH TOI/G right now and serves a purpose as a defensive forward, sure his points suck but he allows Plekanec to play more often at ES and more rested. Not that fast? May I suggest a stronger prescription for your glasses, he’s about our fastest forward, he just can’t meld that speed with decision making.

Gomez out will be a problem as Halpern and Eller will try to fill in his role and that leaves the 4th line a bit muddled without a steady hand like Halpern and prevent JM from freely rolling his lines as much as he wants, which is key for the team matching up well especially going into a game against Detroit who will have last change.

128. coachdoug says:

Taking a bus to the Motor City…don’t get a flat in the wrong neighborhood…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

129. 25 cups says:

Pyatt does his job, he’s a 4th line guy and I generally don’t notice him much out there, which is neither good nor bad… I really don’t think there would be a whole lot of difference if he were replaced with Boyd, or White.

I think without gomez you will see the habs hemmed into their own end a little more than usual (though hopefully still not as bad as last season), and the PP will look like it did against the sens in the second period… that’s my opinion, tough test against the red wings with or without him.

Fire the system! – TheMostCupsPeriod

130. observer says:

last week crooked refs used the wave hand at goalie rule – this time something else both time on would be overtime winners. EXACTLY HOW BETTMAN WANTS WINNERS OF GAMES DECIDED!

131. 25 cups says:

leading the team in SH TOI?  wow I didn’t know that, considering we have the #1 PK in the league I guess theres your answer SD.

Fire the system! – TheMostCupsPeriod

132. SmartDog says:

You (and Serious) make a good point.

Where can I see stats like who has how much time on the PK?  As someone else said, I don’t notice him out there that much.

——-

133. avatar_58 says:

Pyatt is a defensive rock who tries every single night. He’s only ever a 3rd/4th liner who plays on the PK, no more no less. +/- is not the be all marker, and he is not a goal scorer.

No offence SD, but you seem to be unable to judge the puck control and defensive abilities of players without glancing at the +/-. Cammalleri is a big +, yet he has zero defensive mentalty. That right there should tell you something about +/- stats.

Martin sees it, that’s really all that matters.

134. joeybarrie says:

Its too bad we have to put up so many disclaimers in order to show we arent bashing Gomez…

I think that Pyatt plays JM’s game pretty well. He is great on the penalty kill. In fact he plays more than any other forward on the PK. Since our PK is the best in the league I see ALOT of good in him.

We will have problems without Gomez. I hope he is not gone long. As we saw last night, we couldnt set up anything without him on the powerplay. The only good thing about his lack of production is that while he is injured we wont be missing much in that sense. But our even strenght time will suffer without him. He is our best 5 on 5 player.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

135. SeriousFan09 says:

Go to NHL.com and click on individuals in the stats page. At the far side of the menus for individuals you have a pull-down menu under Report, it defaults to “Summary”, click on that and you can get real-time stats for hits, blocked shots and such, faceoff leaders, special teams and Time on Ice.

Pyatt also has 17 blocked shots (2nd most on the team behind Halpern’s 26 amongst forwards) and has 8 takeaways to 4 giveaways.

136. punkster says:

1. Not sure about Pyatt either. Is he a work in progress who isn’t progressing? Well, they can’t all be great I guess. (edit…this answer of mine shows just how weak I am at player evaluation)

2. I think Martin will adapt and the team will follow suit. It looked like doomsville when Markov went down…again…but this team has some sort of chemistry, unique ability, voodoo woohoo going for it. A man goes down and the rest of them cover for him. Remember, we’re deep and if there are a few Bulldog choices to call up if this version of the Habs starts to faulter.

137. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

It’s hilarious in Loafland, Komo “is the worst player in the NHL” according to all the callers on Loafs postgame. I’m glad BG didn’t give him a contract……

138. Landof10000lakesHab says:

With the Detroit loss, NHL on the Fly saying the Bruins and Habs now the only teams w/out a 3 game losing streak.

139. SmartDog says:

Everyone sees things differently.  I’m sure I miss some things others pick up.

But I’ve seen some of Pyatt’s stronger play – including as I pointed out his offensive play as well – but as someone also pointed out, he might be our most invisible player.  It’s true that mistakes stand out more than simple good play, and anytime I see him on a rush I cringe… which is why I asked the question.  It helps to learn what others are seeing that I’m not so I can watch for it which I’ll do next game.

As for Cammalleri I disagree with you entirely.  To my eyes Cami is among the best on the team at puck control, at gaining and re-gaining the puck.  A lot was made of a relaxed effort against the Oilers and Cami certainly doesn’t seem to be in the groove some games but he is typically responsible and puck focused, not wishful-thinking-maybe-I’ll-wait for the puck like some guys on the team often are.

——-

140. RJB says:

I love Pyatt, and I think hes great at what he does, but the takeaway giveaway thing is a little misleading right? I mean he only gets 4th line minutes? Still he takes the puck away more compared to coughing it up, thats a good stat. Nevermind changed my mind! :P

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

141. habs365 says:

I can’t figure you people out..all of a sudden now that Gomez is injured..everyone is concerned about the team..like they won’t do good without him..before he was injured you all wanted to get rid of him..I call this armchair coaching and manageing..you either like him or you don’t like him..make up your minds..there’s no one player on this team that can’t be replaced..and the team will still get their share of wins..because,they play as a team……….

142. Propwash says:

Sorry Punkster, that kinda flew over my head there….

R.I.P John

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

143. subdoxastic says:

Pyatt is fast. He’s not always placed in situations where his speed on the rush is going to be highlighted (when it is, we’re usually moaning that he didn’t convert on his scoring chance) but when combined with an effective forecheck, his speed places him ahead of tom the bomb in the usefulness department. furthermore, his play within martin’s system is solid and dependable. He’s not going to set the world on fire with goals or offense, but he’s steady and provides valuable minutes/shifts for his position on the 3/4 lines and on the p.k..

As for Gomez, i think we will miss him. His production is a problem, but his puck carrying/ability to transition to offence and enter the opposing zone has been good. Even when these forays into the other team’s end result in one and done situations, you almost never see Gomez creating opportunities for the opposing team to transition to an advantage on the attack. Finally, Gomez’s ability forces other teams to keep an eye and make sure one of the top two sets of defenders are out there. Without Gomez eating some of those harder, more contested minutes we’re going to see what our projects (Eller, Poulliot) can do when they’re matching up against top 4 d instead of top 6.

144. habs365 says:

it’s like this..if Halpern can set up points or score goals, maybe both..you won’t know Gomez ever played for this team..Gomez may have lots of energy..but it don’t show in the stats where it counts most….

145. avatar_58 says:

I love Cammy, he’s one of my favs (so says the jersey I own!) but he can be very selfish at times when he wants to score – and as a result he makes bad mistakes. In his own end I’d prefer he pass right away, as he isn’t the best at reading how to exit the zone (something btw Gomez is a pro at, though you might not admit it)

Scoring though? EXCELLENT. Playmaking? PRO!. Some players don’t have a 100% complete game ala Pleky, which is why Cammalleri did far better with Plek on his line.

146. avatar_58 says:

Probably because the moment he went down the habs had trouble taking the puck up the ice. Dump and chase, dump and chase, turnover after turnover. They need Gomez to get it in there, even if he switches off right afterwards

147. Habs Proud says:

What other than Lucic has happened to Komisarek, with the Habs he may have not been a star but at least he had some promise and could be perhaps considered as a steady blueliner, since the Leafs and “Burkie” he has become a full fledged toad. Glad he is no longer a Hab!

Getting 5.5 to play 10 mins a game, great steal Laffs

148. ProHabs says:

Ha, ha. Thanks for the update Showey.

149. Say Ash says:

Umm, actually, BG gave him a contract. I’m glad he didn’t take it. BG gave one to Kovalev, too.

150. bigdave says:

What about the disallowed goal against SJ?  The guy was stopping and there was no kicking whatsoever? Would not have been any overtime at all.

Face it Philly took a period off against a team with offense on three lines and got burned.

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

151. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

He played with Markov, and contrary to the genius Pierre Macguire’s opinion that Komo made Markov(that’s sooo ridiculous), it was quite obviously Markov that made up for his deficiencies…

Before he was traded here all the pundits said he was over-rated and so far from the All-Star selection he got, then when they signed him in T.O. he was the next “insert HOF’er here” LOL

152. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Ummm, he made him an offer, not a contract. I’m pretty sure they are not the same…

153. habaholic68NJ says:

I like this new positive spirit on this site.  That’s what happens when the Habs are winning.

154. joeybarrie says:

Against the Sens…. Im worried about Detroit, Philly, Boston, Avs, Stars and the Caps… I dont want to go 5-6 in the rest of the Month.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

155. andrewberkshire says:

1. Umm… Pyatt isn’t that fast? He’s the fastest skater on the team. Easily. He’s got an extra gear on Gomez and that puts him in the upper echelon of the entire league. Pyatt’s best asset is his skating. That right there tells me you’re just looking at a stat chart and complaining about the guy on the bottom without paying attention to the games. That may not be true, but that’s what it seems like when you constantly bring up points and goals when evaluating players. Pyatt is also second amongst forwards in PK time to Halpern, on the best PK in the NHL. He’s useful.

2. We’ll miss Gomez’s transition game.

If you don’t want people crapping on you, my suggestion is to not make absolute statements like saying a player or you’ll get someone’s back up.

156. habs365 says:

all I can say they won without him..and they’re winning without markov..there’s nothing else to be said

157. SmartDog says:

I hope you’re not talking about me. I won’t be happy unless Gomez is either gone OR contributing at least in the solar system of what his salary says he should.  Sadly neither is likely to happen soon.   But I’m curious about how Halpern will fill in his spot… it’ll be intresting to see.

——-

158. Kooch7800 says:

1. Pyatt rocks on the penalty kill with his speed.  He does a lot of smart things away from the puck.  He will never be a top 6 guy but is very useful on 3 and 4th lines. Gomez was big on the penalty kill as well so Pyatt ‘s stock just went up.

2. With Gomez being out maybe it will give us fans a reality check on what he brings to the team.  Personally it is only a couple of games I don’t think it will matter. Look how the team has responded without Markov…they haven’t missed a beat.  I think it will be the same without Gomez.  The team is so strong defensively one player is not the key.

159. Habs Proud says:

You’re exactly right on Markov being Komo best asset, I just thought he showed a little promise at times, now I almost feel sorry for him, he is terrible!

Bad math on my part, he is only 4.5 a year to play 10 minutes a game, a real “steal”

160. bigdave says:

Playing with Markov disguised Komosarik’s real net worth and won him a huge contract.

Now look!

Strange how both Long Island buddies Komosarik and Higgins have flopped miserably since their departure from Montreal.

161. PrimeTime says:

Enjoy not being “happy” while the majority of fans continue enjoy watching a winning team that includes the veteran smarts and team contributions of Scott Gomez. Maybe by the end of the year you’ll understand that a team is made of all types of players….not individual stats.

162. SmartDog says:

…. and maybe the team is about to show how little Gomez’s “veteran smarts” matter.

By happy I mean satisfied with Gomer’s output.  I’m not alone in this.  Plenty happy with the team overall, thanks for caring.

——-

163. habs365 says:

not too sure about halpern with moen on the wing, pouliot or darsche would be better..oh well jm knows best.

164. Propwash says:

To me, Halpern deserves to be on the top two lines. the guy busts his arse, is great on faceoffs, and can score goals. If Gomez is out for any length of time, Halpern will be able to compensate with no problem. The guy is the Giant Tiger deal for the Habs.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

165. PrimeTime says:

I’m not going to bother to try and convince you how a team is made up of the the sum of it’s parts. Some people just don’t understand the concept but think….take Crosby away from the Pens and they would be an average team at best. Take Gomez away and Habs will still be a competitive team. A winning team doesnt need one or two players to carry the load. Take away Markov and we win and I suspect he same will hold true without Gomez, Pleks, Gionta or Cammy. The 70’s habs were built the same way as were the Wings the last 10 years. You don’t like it then cheer for Ovie or Sid.

166. joeybarrie says:

You understand the offer is for the contract right?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

167. FormalWare says:

JD and punkster have inspired me.

LAFFABLE IMAGININGS

Imagine hope in Leafland
    A blueline not in ruins
    Even though our draft picks
    Will all go to the Bruins

Imagine there’s no pressure
    A loser point is fine
    No teams below us
    Above us, twenty-nine

Imagine Burke’s delusions
    Wilson’s nonchalance

You may say I’m a dreamer
    But I’m not the only one
    We’ll go on buying tickets
    Until the Cup is won

168. punkster says:

Nice one FW.

169. light_n_tasty says:

1) Pyatt is useful given is SH time, and was actually the player that brought the most value in the Gomez/Higgins trade.  He takes SH minutes away from players like Pleks and Gionta, freeing them up for more even strength time.  That said, he wouldn’t be too difficult to replace.

2) I’m not sure we will be without Gomez.  But if we are, we might miss him in the sense that other players will have to eat more minutes.  But, Eller’s beginning to grow on me, and I’d be happy to see him play more.

170. light_n_tasty says:

I’m not familiar with HardHabitlatchingontoitis.  If I recall correctly, I was commenting on SF09’s post, and then you commented on my reply.  And this all started back when I made a post about how much cap space we would have if Gomez was on the LTIR instead of Markov, and you commented on that one.

Naming an illness after yourself? Thinking that people seek attention by associating themselves with you? Sounds like delusions of grandeur.  Which we all know is a symptom of Superfaninitis.

Here let me quote your reply “People with Superfanititis are at a high risk of Tankoholsim

Amost spelled it correctly, it’s Tankoholism

You might as well have said the “HardHabits suffers from Superfanititis.”

You’re the one who’s obsessed. I never noticed you until you took offense with the fact that I commented and started a campaign against the Gomez bashing. Since then you can’t even make comments without trying to take a dig at me. Get over it. I am not that popular here.

172. Hagar says:

It was a long time ago & I’ve forgotten exactly what you said, but I’m pretty sure you did that to me (I can’t remember if you stated it outright, because honestly, who gives a damn if someone else thinks they’re not a true fan). That said, I am a little proud that someone out there considers me one of the few notorious trolls on the Habs I/O website. I try my best Serious. I’m glad it doesn’t go by unnoticed, lol

173. SeriousFan09 says:

I have never in my time made such bold “not a true fan” accusations against others, except maybe Everlasting or a couple of the more notorious trolls. As a late-blooming Habs fan, I never thought it was my place to call out a “Non-fan” because i get we all have different degrees of passion about the team and different philosophies about how the team should exist.

I am a fan of the team and honestly, there’s been more than a couple nights this season where I wish a different #11 was on the ice and I’ve mentioned as much. What I am doing is doing a bit of parody about what’s become a rather annoying round of trolling I’ve noticed that’s funny when considering the team’s record. A record that is exceeding even my optimistic pre-season prediction of a 100-point team that featured Andrei Markov.

174. light_n_tasty says:

Hmm…outbursts of “not a true fan” and “you know nothing about hockey” almost always accompany Superfaninitis.  I would also note that I remember your brief bout with tanking last year, and recall that it lasted only a few days.  That is not Tankoholism by any means.

My only conclusion is that you do not suffer from Superfaninitis.  Although I have seen some very serious cases of it on HI/O.

175. Everlasting1 says:

Who you calling notorious? I’ve been labelled that by you and your sort before I jumped ship. Respect your elders. I’ve been a Hab fan before you were conceived.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

176. SeriousFan09 says:

Respect is earned, not given.

You forgot Superpaininthefaninitis:

A severe criticism of any aspect of the Habs organization. Symptoms include the need to irritate people, calling people deluded for being optimisitic and thinking that only they see the truth. These symptoms are often accompanied by uncontrollable, instinctive outbursts of “I am more knowledgable than you” and “Na-nana-nya-na.” Unfortunately, these maniacal episodes are often followed by long depressing comments during the periods of an extended winning streak, when a player is acquired or a player is let go. People with Superpaininthefaninitis are at a high risk of Gomezphobia when the team is doing well.

178. light_n_tasty says:

Is it possible to have both Superfaninitis and Superpaininthefaninitis?  Because I think you had Superfpaininthefaninitis until about July of this year, and then, after a brief recovery, you seem to have contracted Superfaninitis.

Maybe you’re just manic-depressive?

179. Everlasting1 says:

I wasn’t serious to begin with.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

You forgot HardHabitlatchingontoitis. The need to gain attention by commenting on HardHabits’ posts. That was Tony242’s claim to fame. Sound familiar? eh Tony?

181. Drive_For_25 says:

Does anyone know if they leave Montreal at noon or arrive in Windsor at noon.  Little help from Mr. Boone maybe??  Live in Windsor so just interested, have a few buddies that work at the airport too.

182. punkster says:

Well, (pushes spectacles up bridge of nose), if a train leaves Montreal at 10am headed for Windsor at 100 km/hr and another train leaves Windsor headed for Montreal at 11am at 90 km/hr at what time will Burkie announce he has fired Ronnie and hired Ewan McGregor to reprise his role as Obi Wan Kenobi and harness the force to lead the Loafs to victory.

There, that should hold you for a while.

183. FormalWare says:

Lennon-McCartney-Bugs: Greatest songwriting trio EVER!

184. Bugs says:

Lovely Picard, cheaply paid.
    Nothing can come between us,
    When Soobie’s a go, I’ll sit your azz away.
    Standing by like barking reta’d,
    When I caught a glimpse of Picard,
    Filling in his hip-check with his little sad look.
    In a suit, he looked much older.
    Without his bag across his shoulder, He looks like a long-term injury man.
    Weenh! Weenh! Wouenh! Weenh!

Lovely Picard, cheaply paid,
    May I inquire discreetly,
    When are you free,
    To watch the game with me?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central: http://habsbros.blogspot.co

185. RJB says:

Well done Bugsy, Lovely Rita is a fantastic tune!

– Bilbo Baggins

186. punkster says:

Very good. I particularly likes the drum part in the intro here: ( “widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family”). Very effective use of MS Office to translate the overture.

;)

187. VancouverHab says:

Excellent! The Gomophobes will really hate this ….

188. SeriousFan09 says:

Canadian Health Officials are very concerned with new illnesses striking hockey fans, after Priceinitis and Halak Fever finally were defeated, they are now dealing with a whole new wave of outbreaks, Gomezphobia and small bouts of PK Blues.

Gomezphobia

Symptoms:

Prevents you from discussing your favourite team with an 18-8-2 record that is 3rd overall in the League and instead focus on a player’s salary cap
    hit with obsessive-compulsive behaviour regarding everything about that
    player. You may discover you are unable to discuss the Habs without first launching a tirade against Scott Gomez, even when you want to discuss how to use cap space opened up by Markov’s injury and who the team should aim to acquire. There is no known cure at present, fears are it may be a chronic condition.

PK Blues

Symptoms:

You feel PK Subban is becoming a terrible teammate, Don Cherry was right, Mike Richards was right. Subban is an out of control maniac and worse, JM is going to destroy all of his talent. No one in the NHL likes him and you start to wonder that since you like PK, nobody likes you either. The days seem long and without hope and can’t understand how a defencemen with 39 games of experience can be scratched as he adjusts to the NHL.

Still a health concern, but subsiding:

Jacques Martin Mania

Symptoms:

You’re quite sure that a man approaching 600 career wins in the NHL is destroying your team. Despite his coaching the team to their deepest playoff run since 1993, he is taking the team down a dark path. Young players are being annihiliated in his coaching system and he plots against success, despite the uptick play of Benoit Pouliot, Andrei Kostitsyn, Tom Pyatt and Lars Eller. You’re positive his teachings are antiquated, despite the team’s defensive play leading to a dominant record. You’re worried because he doesn’t whine like Lindy Ruff or scream like a madman on the bench, it means the team can’t win under him. His making a line change before you even see how it goes causes you to be come apoplectic.

189. _Habsoloutly_ says:

What if you just feel that his HUGE cap hit, that his LACKLUSTER play does not warrant, hurt’s your teams ability to acquire other player’s we need to make us a legitimate contender?  Does that make you an evil person who is not a true habs fan?  Since when did constructive criticism get outlawed here at HIO?  If you love his Cap hit, his play, and having him on the team, great.  You’re welcome to that opinion.  Just try to grasp that other people have differing opinions than you and this is not a place were we all must come and conform to your thought’s on a certain matter.  It’s the internet, people have differen’t opinions.

My name is HardHabits. I am recovering Tankoholic.

191. Bill says:

Oh my God, I’ve got a raging case of Gomophobia and a chronic bout of Martin Mania. On top of that I’ve had a serious case of Saturday Night Fever for about 30 years, someone call a doctor!

192. JohnBellyful says:

Good list, but there’s one more to add to the list: Hal-itosis, the feeling the Habs’ tallest player is too darn slow to play in the NHL while ignoring evidence he’s an effective shutdown defenceman. Feeling usually disappears during playoffs.

193. Qikdraw says:

Your Post makes alot of sense, the negativity is sometimes too much…..but I still can’t buy into the idea that Jm will take our team into June ………….. I hope I’m wrong, love to see those clowns at CBC cover the Stanley Cup Final while the lafs go golfing in April .The bias commentary of Galley,Healy and the grapenut is a joke and no lafs in the playoffs always brings me some sort of solace.

194. Everlasting1 says:

A winning team does relegate Gomer’s contract/role to a mute point..for now. I for one don’t even think he is as good as his #s..3 of his 4 goals have been incredibly flukey, but he does move the puck well before coughing it up. His intangibles seem to be inexplicable.

Subban is just over-rated/over-hyped. He has nothing on that other rookie, Toronto native Alex Pietrangelo.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

195. light_n_tasty says:

You forgot Superfaninitis:

A severe reaction to criticism of any aspect of the Habs organization.  Symptoms include high irritability, delusions of grandeur, and a dissociation from reality.  These symptoms are often accompanied by uncontrollable, instinctive outbursts of “You are not a true fan” and “You don’t know anything about hockey.”  Unfortunately, these maniacal episodes are often followed by long depressions during the periods of an extended losing streak.  People with Superfanititis are at a high risk of Tankoholsim when the team is struggling.

196. Bugs says:

(ok, I gotta get this fixed)

tech difficulties.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

197. Bugs says:

omg. major tech issues.

sorry

198. Willy the bum says:

Just looking at the players’ stats and what a team effort this is.  Eight players reached their double-digit points: top three are the retired Plek-Cammi-Kost line, followed by Captain Gionta; Hamrlik goes after (the D who replace Markov) and last three comes from the PhD line.  PK, Gomez, and Spacek are a close point away from double-digits.  I’m telling you, the team is the real deal… for now, the season’s got less than three quarters away, so it’s still early.

Sure it seems just a bit too much to pay on Gomez, but thank goodness at least they’re not the Devils organization, if you could see the bright side of things.  Think of Gomez as buying a huge lucky charm for the Habs; get him and good things comes to us.

I’m sensing PK will be in one of the back-to-back games, to get a fresh player on the team while one should rest up.  Two of the Original Six, Detroit is still on the tops, so hope to see Price in; TO, switch to Auld since he should go against one of his former teams.  Lets hope they’ll go for 4 points…

199. Danno says:

This just in….

LEAFS SUCK

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

200. secretdragonfly says:

Not Habs related but can someone explain how a place like Elk Point, AB (pop 1500) can produce players like Sheldon Souray and Mark Letestu?  Something in the water, maybe?

201. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe there is nothing else to do except play hockey :)

202. ctony says:

Is Carey’s next contract another short term RFA deal or does he get something long term?  What’s his cap hit going to be?

203. Propwash says:

Man, the Leafs are just such an abortion…….

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

204. Willy the bum says:

I thought the Leafs are like a test tube baby and getting adopted by parents who are high on drugs.

205. solomio says:

Don’t know if you guys will think I’ve gone too far but I swear watching Eller a couple games back I saw something akin to………… Jean Beliveau !!!

206. JohnBellyful says:

I won’t say you’ve gone too far. I wonder if Jean would say the same. If Eller’s play can invite that kind of comparison consistently in weeks, months, years to come, the team’s in great shape.

207. punkster says:

Ahhhh, so cute. Fishing for attention.

208. Danno says:

The Leafs sure suck tonight. They just plain suck! I’ve seen teams suck before, but they are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

209. adam76 says:

At least they are playing with class.

oh wait…

210. RJB says:

Hey, watch your mouth! My damn weiner kids are listening!

– Bilbo Baggins

211. JD_ says:

Much as was the case last night, Pierre turns real silent when the team he’s rootin’ for goes deep in the hole.

The question is: Is this the one that seals the deal for Wilson? If so, who’s his replacement? Not expectin’ an experiment but, rather, someone who’s been around the block a few times.

Hitchcock? Hartley? Streisand?

*** Give Punkster A Chance ***

212. adam76 says:

Say what you want but Pierre is NOT a Leaf fan.

213. joeybarrie says:

Cant help it. I posted it too low before. I NEED TO MAKE SURE everyone knows about McGuire….

Steckel has the 2nd most faceoffs on the Caps… Fleischmann is a left winger…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

214. punkster says:

OK, I’ll play. But seriously how about Kevin Dineen? He seems like the truculent kind that Burkie goes for (in a hockey dressing room smack on the behind manly sort of way). Still with Portland.

Oh, and the tag is cute.

215. mrhabby says:

hitchcock.

216. JD_ says:

Who said Pierre was a Loafs fan?

Pierre’s a Loafs fan fan. Thus the rootin’.

217. twocents says:

Pierre is a fan of whoever his bosses tell him to be and/or whoever’s winning.

He’s a discriminating man.

218. JD_ says:

Precisely.

And TSN knows where it’s bread is buttered.

219. twocents says:

He’s a slice off the old marble loaf.

220. otter649 says:

McGuire has always been thankful to Brian Burke who as a GM in Hartford gave McGuire his only head coaching in The NHL so he will never go over board critizing The Leafs where he always likes to take cheap shots at Montreal & Pierre Gauthier since PG fired him in Ottawa & McGuire was never able to get a NHL job since also was upset he did not get an interview for The Montreal GM which Andre Savard got………

221. punkster says:

Baked!

222. RiverviewCanadien says:

Actually I would probably react the same way in this game. Gustavsson has no team in front of him, I hate to say I feel bad for a Leaf player, but I feel bad for Jonas.

223. adam76 says:

being sarcastic – Leafs are about as classy as Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation.

224. Willy the bum says:

Now that’s the reason why Plekanec didn’t want to sign to the Leafs.  His pal Kaberle should know that.

225. joeybarrie says:

What was Komi’s excuse???????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

226. observer says:

Is an NHL team allowed to send their entire team to the minors? At least the Marlboroughs are younger and are over .500?

227. avatar_58 says:

Cammy – Halpern – Moen….

Oh lord. Gomez hater or not, you have to be worried about that. For the love of…

228. shiram says:

It wouldnt be that bad if we had a better player on the right…

229. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Martin is simply going for the balanced attack like he has done for most of this year. Nothing wrong with the line given the circumstance.

I bet he is holding out for more money

231. Everlasting1 says:

He’s already a high crap hit.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

232. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hey don’t worry Timo. Because according to some of the commentariat it’s ok because we didn’t give him that contract.  It doesn’t matter to some that we’re the one’s PAYING the contract and WE’RE the one’s who’s cap his WAY over-priced salary strangle’s.  It’s all good because WE didn’t sign him to it we just pay it.  And I mean hey, he’s a nice guy, always cracking jokes, great guy for interviews, which is why the media here loves him.

233. Matt_in_TO says:

Love watching Komisarek getting his ass handed to him

- In Price We Trust

234. Ron says:

Twice at that. All laffs fighters came out second best on all counts. Haha

235. andrewberkshire says:

Awesome. The real answer to the question is that Brooks Laich was the second line center for Washington over the last 3 months of the 2009-10 season.

236. Drew42 says:

Or maybe if they Put Cammy with Eller and Pouliot… and Darche with Moen and Halpern…

237. Willy the bum says:

Money… and maybe hot women.

238. joeybarrie says:

Which makes him pretty dumb. Chicks are hotter in Montreal, and things are cheaper than Toronto…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

239. Duke_Rauol says:

Olympic Team!

240. since1988 says:

Columnist Bruce Arthur arguing for Don Cherry to be off HNIC right now on Fan590 in Toronto

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

241. krob1000 says:

no biggie on Gomez…he’s not hurt. I just heard from a reliable source that there was construction and he was forced to take a diff’t route to the arena. You know Gomer….he was speeding and trying his heart out to make it on time….and then inevitably went left instead right, he then called and waited for a teammate to help him out, the help though unfortunately was intercepted.  Fortunately Gio and Cammi were not made aware of this situation or they would have not bothered to attend practice if Gomer wasn’t there.

Just kidding folks…..

242. joewindsor habfan says:

going to be at the detroit game 15 rows off the ice wearing my habs jersey w/ pride just hope Price is playing between the pipes.

243. Lafrich says:

I agree. He should definitely not try to play forward…

244. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Exactly. All that matters is that because of Gomez’s huge cap hit, we’re losing every game we play. Seriously. That cap hit is obviously a huge problem.

245. _Habsoloutly_ says:

He’s an 8 million dollar hole on the team.  He’s not a damn checker, why is that so hard for some of the peeps here to grasp?   We could have Brad Richards for that money or a plethora of other’s who would actually help the team go all the way.   Do you people actually think Gainey brought him in to be an 8 million dollar 3rd line checker????  Come on man.  Gainey signed Gomez because he thought there was a chance of Gomez and Gio reuniting that old spark they had together in NJ.  It was a gamble and he took it.  But please don’t piss in my ear and tell me it’s raining.

246. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Who’s pissing where? I’m in agreement with you. I remember when Dallas offered up Brad Richards and Gainey said no thanks. I think we’re the only two people here who realize that if we switched out Gomez for any other player in the league, we would obviously be 28-0-0, winning every game 17-0. This is a huge problem with the team, and one we should not stop talking about until we can finally string together a win or two.

Come on, everyone! Get on board before all of our ears get pissed on! (Just to clarify, it is NOT raining)

247. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Teams playing fine, Gomez is is playing adequate.   Problem is, in a salary cap NHL “adequate” doesn’t command 8 mill.  You’re welcome to your opinion. Just don’t piss on mine Tim.

248. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Couldn’t agree more. Except for the Tim part. And your obsession with pissing.

249. JD_ says:

Ugh. Dineen. Despised him in Hartford.

But, a solid choice, great reg. season record with Portland, and he was definitely truculent, back in the day.

He would fall under the experimental category, although with a good dose of experience, if only minor league. Not sure how the Sabres’ connection factors in.

250. punkster says:

Guess the real question would then be, what is Ruff’s expiry date in the land o’ hot wings? My guess he’s there as long as he wants to be, as long as the franchise stays. A rare lifer. When is his contract up?

Edit: found it…he extended to the end of this season

251. JD_ says:

Seem to recall Ruff bein’ extended on a one-year option for this season.

Dineen’s also got friends in Carolina.

252. Believe the Hype - The Price is Right says:

I’m going to the game on Friday as well.  Is the team leaving from Montreal at noon tomorrow or arriving in Windsor at noon?  I wouldn’t mind stopping by the airport to see them

253. shiram says:

You only say that because you dont want him to score goals!

254. SeriousFan09 says:

If it were discussion, that would be fine but this is more like last season with Price V Halak and the endless nonsense it generated, not at that height yet but SD and Loyalist only show up to talk about one thing right now and it isn’t anything they haven’t said before. Now they’re attracting others on board to the point where I’m reading Gomez getting hurt would be good for the team.

Even in the nastiest times of last season’s Trolling Title Fights, I don’t recall either side saying wait until Goalie X is injured and the other guy will make you wish he stayed that way.

255. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya well i’m not saying I’m one of the idiot’s saying “gee, I hope he get’s hurt”.  thats pathetic.  I don’t hate him, I just think who would I rather have in my top six forwards going into the playoffs, Richards or Gomez.  I think you know the answer to that question.

PS: not trying to start anything with you, just discussing my feelings on the matter.

256. SeriousFan09 says:

I wasn’t targeting you or others who occasionally complain about the Gomez cap hit, I was simplying employing my brand of sarcasm to pillory certain people here who have taken their issues with the man way too far to the point where it’s all they can talk about.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

2003? Yes but if we had Richard’s we wouldn’t have Kostitsyn.

This isn’t NHL 11 where you can just wish you had players. Would’ve been nice to have picked 1st in 2005 and gotten Crosby. Didn’t happen.

So apart from drafting him, which the Habs didn’t do, what on earth do you think it would take to wrest Richards from Philly’s hands?

I’d rather have Richards!!! LMFAO

I’ll see your Richard’s and raise you a Toews.

I’d rather have Toews than Gomez.

And I’ll raise you a Crosby. I’d rather have Crosby than Plekanecs.

Since neither of those are going to happen, I’d rather have Gomez in the line-up rather than injured.

258. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure he’s talking about Brad Richards.

Aside from Mike G, we haven’t had much AK-moaning or 2003 revisionist stuff this season, winning records are funny like that.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I read below and realize that he is in fact talking about Brad and not Mike, which is even more preposterous. At least Mike the Habs could’ve theoretically drafted but Brad? How does he think the Habs could’ve scored Brad Richards?

I am putting my finger next to my temple and I’m twisting it in circles if you know what I mean.

260. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Pay attention Timmy, BRAD RICHARDS is reported to be being shopped around because he is upcoming UFA and not interested in staying in Dallas. If we had some cap room we could go after him.  And the drafting stuff above is leaving me wondering if you even have a brain at all.  So just go back to your daily routine of calling us all idiots here if we don’t happen to share your opinion.  Let me know when you get a clue Timmy.

261. _Habsoloutly_ says:

cool cool,  I do agree with that 100%.

It’s so simple. It’s so easy to build a team. Everybody would’ve come over. So let’s say Gomez wasn’t acquired.

“Hey Cammy and Gio, we dont have a 1st line centre and Plex isn’t signed but hopefully in the future he will be and then we’ll nab Brad Richards. You never know, there might be an Internet rumour that he’s sick of Dallas and we can get him. Forget the playoffs until then because we wont get there without a centre but hey.”

Hilarious.

263. petrov14 says:

Rumor Roundup: Andrei Markov injury fallout. From THN.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

264. JohnBellyful says:

Uh oh, WikiLeaks is turning its attention to the sports world, and the Montreal Canadiens are among the teams whose secrets are being exposed. Here’s a few excerpts from transcripts currently circling the globe …

(From the taping of a promotional video never released by the team showing the Habs’ new captain Brian Gionta speaking directly to French-speaking fans):

Gionta: Bone joor, maize amee. Je swee tray happee ettra la captaine de la Moan Royale Ka-na-dee-ins. Je swee glad ettra waring le sacre bloo-blanq-rooj. C’est toot sweet. Riel cool. Vous avay mon mott le team ill-way in-way le up-kay …
    How’d I do, guys?
    PR person: Fine, Brian, just fine. Those lessons you’ve been taking at home are paying off. Now let’s try it just once more, with OUR cue cards.

(Two players were caught in conversation on a security camera in the dressing room)

Josh Gorges: Well, PK, glad to have you aboard the team full-time. After what you did in the playoffs, this season should be a real breeze for you. I didn’t have it so easy when I got traded here. I had to make a name for myself by just being steady, doing nothing flashy. It took awhile. People spelled my name Georges. It doesn’t have two E’s, you know. Just one, as in Gorges. And you have to pronounce it a certain way. Like this. Hear it how sounded? Did you hear an E near the start. No, you didn’t, cuz there isn’t one. Not that I wouldn’t mind another E. Wouldn’t bother me. Wouldn’t have to correct all the people when they spelled it wrong. But I’ll never my change my name. That would be an insult to my parents. You should never insult your parents. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for my parents. Hah, how many times do you hear people say that, PK. Of course, none of us would be here if it wasn’t for our parents. It’s like saying a player gave 110 per cent. Not possible, PK. 100 per cent is the best you can do, didja know that? Now you can give 50 per cent, 60 per cent, 70 per cent … you get the idea. But 110 per cent, no way. But just imagine if you could, unh, wouldn’t that be somethin’? Think of what kind of player you would be. Or person. All that energy you’d have. You could find a cure for diseases. I’ve never had a serious disease but I did have athlete’s foot once. See the scar? Had it so bad I had to spend a week in rehab. Hey, I just made a pun, get it. ReHab. I had to take some time off so I could return to being a Hab. Pretty funny, eh, PK? Sometimes I come out with a good one. I remember last year me and Gilly were playin’ crokinole between periods when

PK: Will you shut the $*#@ up!

(Just then Hab coach Jacques Martin walks by, stops and points his finger at PK): Pernell Karl, that’s no way to talk to a veteran! See me in my office!
    Gorges shouts out as the coach and rookie leave: Don’t be long, PK. I’ll stick around so I can finish my story. You’re gonna laugh your head off.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

265. sholi2000.com says:

Too long

They Call Me Shane

266. DavidKB says:

Not too long.

267. Danno says:

Just right.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

268. petrov14 says:

Post of the day? Its gotta be in the running.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

269. Bugs says:

You almost lost me, Belly, but you pulled it back with brio.

Nice!

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

270. SeriousFan09 says:

A disturbing illness, it can creep up on you without even noticing, I even had it for a couple weeks last season.

271. petrov14 says:

LOL! Stay on the wagon!

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

Sounds more like you and your goalie prediction.

273. Everlasting1 says:

If you’re referring to Voldemort, his salary as a starter is moderate.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin