Goalie Miller leads Sabres to fantasy win over Habs

buffaloweb

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Thursday night’s game between the Canadiens and Sabres in Buffalo:

PAT HICKEY
THE GAZETTE

BUFFALO – Thomas Vanek scored twice and added an assist to lead the Buffalo Sabres to a 4-1 win over the Canadiens Thursday night at First Niagara Center.

“It was another one of those games where we didn’t show up in the first period,” said Erik Cole, who accounted for the Canadiens’ lone goal with his 13th of the season.  “We played them tough after the first period, but they took that 2-0 lead and let (goaltender Ryan) Miller carry it from there.”

Vanek scored both Buffalo goals in the first period. He cashed in on a 2-on-1 break with Jason Pominville to open the scoring at 5:46 and then redirected a shot by Ville Leino at 14:23.

Cole scored on a power play at 7:35 of the second period, going backdoor to convert David Desharnais’s pass through the crease, but that was the only shot to get past Miller. The Buffalo goaltender had to fight to stay awake in the first period when the Sabres outshot  the Canadiens 16-2, but he was busy in the final two periods. The game finished with the Sabres holding a narrow 33-31 edge on the shot clock.

Christian Ehrhoff gave the Sabres some breathing room when he added a power-play goal at 16:22 of the second period with Tyler Myers and Vanek picking up assists. Pominville completed the scoring at 15:57 of the third period.

“We always seem to have trouble in this city,” defenceman Josh Gorges said. “I had a feeling during the morning skate that we didn’t have a lot of energy. The good thing is that we get these guys back home on Saturday night. We have to get back on track because this is always a busy month. We have two games at home next week, but then we play seven of our next games on the road.”

Brandon Prust stepped out of his weight class and traded punches with Cody McCormick, who had a three-inch height advantage and 30 pounds on Prust.

“I think I held my own,” Prust said as he held an ice pack over a welt on his cheek. “We grew up together in London and we’ve  trained together in the summer, but I think that’s the first time we’ve fought.”

The Canadiens play the Sabres at home Saturday and have a Monday home date against Carolina.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. HabFab says:

The difference between the two pressers is so immense that either one side is FOS or incredibly stupid….WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Cal says:

Fehr continues his shell game. Hope the players understand when they lose 100% of the season.

3. commandant says:

We’re taking make whole off the table.

Nice negotiating there.

I think the only option now is decertification.

• Habilis says:

A better option would have been to have the 750 players vote on the deal with a 10 year cba and 5 year contract lengths. Can you honestly say that you think the membership as a whole wouldn’t have accepted that?

• JoeC says:

Fehr is a tool, the second hes introduced into the negotiation, and it blows up? Bettman wasn’t even there, and it all blows up!. I’m donte backing the players.

• HabFab says:

And I think that doesn’t worry the league one little bit.

• frontenac1 says:

Yep. This was all about busting the union and enacting a new economic order from the beginning. The fly in the soup was Fehr. He is no patsy like Goodenow was. The harm done to the brand in those bullsh*t markets down south is complete. It is done like dinner down there amigos, stick a fork in it. It aint coming back. Blow this b*tch up and start over.

4. Bripro says:

OK, I’m bored…
    EDIT: It’s supposed to be to the music of John Cougar’s ROCK in the USA.
    It’s not working tonight.

Hockey Frustration Song no. 26

They play in the cities
    And they play in the smaller towns
    Beat up stars on blades playin’ hockey
    Goin crack boom bam

Hockey ain’t dead in the U.S.A.
    Hockey ain’t dead in the U.S.A.
    Hockey ain’t dead in the U.S.A., Just yet…!
    Hockey’ in the U.S.A.

Said goodbye to their families
    Said goodbye to their friends
    Signed contracts in their hands
    Leaving Canada behind once again

Game is rough and long are nights
    Ain’t no game being shown in the dorm tonight
    With the blind faith of the fans you hope that they just might, be
    Signin’ a new CBA.

Hey!

Voices from players
    And voices from the billionnaires
    Filled fans’ head full of dreams
    Turned the game upside down

There was Teddie Lindsman,Bobby Orr and Mchael Ryder
    There was Rocket!
    Now here’s Bettman and Donald Fehr being a**-holes
    Screwing our game!
    Spotlight on the eve
    Watchin’ hockey go down
    What’s left in the U.S.A.

No more hockey in the U.S.A.
    No more hockey in the U.S.A.
    No more hockey in the U.S.A.

5. HabFab says:

Bettman speaking on TSN.

• Habilis says:

He just smashed Fehr’s lob in my opinion. I don’t like the guy but I think at least he’s being honest. Fehr was just blowing smoke.

In the end it sounds like the players drew the line on contract length and CBA length, which is absolutely ludicrous when you consider that only 12% of NHL contracts are more than 5 years and that every single CBA has been better for the players at the end of the term. Have they forgotten that they wanted to continue playing under the old CBA only months ago??

This makes no sense.

6. JoeC says:

So, the players have to give back 7%, give back contract rights, pay there own pention, and its not enough? wow, NHL, just wow. It looks like you guys won already, yet its not enough?

7. commandant says:

Fehr: we agree to all your financial proposals.

Bettman: No deal, its all off the table.

• JohnBellyful says:

Fehr: We don’t mind scraps.

Bettman: What are you willing to pay for them?

So when you say “Agree to ALL of your financial proposals” is term not a part of the financial proposal?

Ben, I have more than my share of frustration with owners, but you do realize the players and their leader have not yet been proclaimed a Deity yet right?

• HabFab says:

Fehr has said that things were great before and then the NHL tears his agreement apart. Will have to hear what the NHL says and see details on the PA to make a call.

8. Propwash says:

Offer was rejected via voicemail.

Stick a fork in the hopes of having NHL hockey, it’s done.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

9. jols101 says:

Wow, Crazy. They are apart by what amounts to very little and they are driving the bus over the cliff. WTF

10. HabFab says:

Nyet said the NHL.

11. Mustang says:

Tell me when it’s over. I have had enough of this BS. I’m going out to the garage to play with my ’66 Mustang.

12. jols101 says:

What happened to the ‘ lets bring back the mediators’ ? I think that was what pissed of all the moderate owners and Bettman and is why they didn’t bother attending the meeting. Media didn’t even ask that question.

• HabFab says:

I don’t believe that. It was more like WTF do you want them for?
      IMO the PO to the moderates was they got the hardliners to agree to a more moderate proposal only to have the PA say no. By the way my IMO came from the talking heads.

13. Ron says:

I know alot of posters here follow twitter. Off all the many putting tweets out in regard to the lock out. I honestly believe that the player agent Allan Walsh is a total shate disturber. What a douche..

14. Bripro says:

Seventeenth!!!

• JohnBellyful says:

Bri’, you’ll always be 15th with me.

• HabFab says:

God, I love seniors!!

• JohnBellyful says:

Do you think I’ll get quoted in the HIO section next week?
          JohnBellyful offered a refreshing departure from the usual doom and gloom surrounding lockout talks, veering off into demented prattle: “BTW: I just sneezed and now I got a bunch of rainbow specks of my screen. Try it. It’s kinda neat.”
          Geez, now I wished I had spent a bit more time on that post.

It seems only fitting that the two players behind Fehr during presser is Richards and Crosby, two of the wealthiest players in the league.

Probably not all that dissimilar that Bettman has had Murray Edwards and Jacobs with him most every step of the way.

16. frontenac1 says:

Did anybody else notice that not one Bruin player was represented across the table?? Please correct me if I am wrong.

17. Chuck says:

Boo Sabres! Anyone have a link to video of Souray scoring against them with 1 second left in overtime?

___________________________________________________

18. HabFab says:

TSN to show PA presser momentarily.

• Habilis says:

Did you see that report just now? I can’t believe that the players are going to draw a line in the sand over contract length when 88% of them will never sign more than a 5 year deal anyhow.

Mind boggling.

19. Habilis says:

“Nick Cotsonika‏@cotsonika
    Apparently players had something significant to say, weren’t happy Bettman and owners didn’t show up. We’ll see what Fehr says.”

So we’re back to the sides complaining about each other. Awesome.

Edit: Fehr will be adressing the media in 15 minutes. Nobody thinks it’s good news. What a circus.

20. myron.selby says: