Habs’ Therrien won’t second-guess Team Canada coaches (with video)

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien was asked after Thursday’s practice in Brossard if he would use defenceman P.K. Subban more if he were coaching Team Canada in Sochi.

“I don’t want to second-guess the coaches there because I’ve been second-guessed enough,” Therrien said.

Therrien added that he’s rooting for Team Canada.

“In situations like this, I’m just a fan, and it’s Canada all the way,” the coach said.

The Canadiens players who aren’t in Sochi practised for the second straight day Thursday in Brossard and for the second day the club recruited some extra players to join them.

After former Hab Jocelyn Thibault was in goal Wednesday, Jimmy Waite – the brother of Canadiens goalie coach Stephane Waite – put on the pads Thursday along with former minor-leaguer Martin Houle. Former Habs forward Sebastien Bordeleau also took part in the practice along with three members of the NAHL’s Laval Braves.

Jimmy Waite was the Chicago Blackhawks’ first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 1987 NHL entry draft and played with the Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks and Phoenix Coyotes.

Michael Bournival, who continues to suffer from concussion-like symptoms, didn’t take part in the practice, and neither did Brandon Prust, who has an upper-body injury. Both are listed as day-to-day. Davis Drewiske was also absent after his mother died on Wednesday.

Alex Galchenyuk is fully recovered from his broken hand and has been cleared for contact.

“We brought in the extra players to help us in practice,” Therrien said.

“The one thing that has impressed me is that the (Canadiens) players showed a lot of discipline during the time off and they all came back in good shape.”

The four Canadiens players who were already eliminated at the Sochi Olympics – Peter Budaj, Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and Tomas Plekanec – were expected to arrive back in Montreal on Thursday, but won’t practise with the Habs until Monday. Carey Price and Subban remain in Sochi with Team Canada, while Max Pacioretty is with Team USA. Canada faces the U.S. in the Olympic semifinals Friday at noon ET.

The non-Olympic Habs will practise Friday and Saturday in Brossard at 11 a.m. – with no media availability – then have a day off Sunday before taking to the ice again Monday at 11 a.m.

The Canadiens’ first post-Olympic game will be Wednesday night at the Bell Centre against the Detroit Red Wings. The next night the Canadiens will face the Penguins in Pittsburgh.

The AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs are at the Bell Centre Friday night at 7:30 p.m. to take on the Binghamton Senators.

(Photo by Allen McInnis / The Gazette)

Louis Leblanc still working on his game in Hamilton, by Brenda Branswell

Prospect Audette puts his former Hab father’s lessons to use, NHL.com

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1. PureGuava says:

My sincerest condolences go out to the Drewiske family.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

2. Brinkley says:

So……(according to Therien) this Olympic experience is good for Suban? How so? The only thing PK could get out of this is a lesson in how to control his frustrations and a mental note to bring his A++ game agaist Detroit and Dallas respectively!

Babcock has all the talent a coach could dream of having and he has the team playing a stupid trap system that the players are obviosly not comfortable with – they are over-thinking and not playing their “natural” game.

MAYBE Canada can win in spite of the coaching!

3. zephyr says:

it’s a travesty that subban isn’t playing. team Canada is run by a committee because they are covering their butts in case they lose. this risk averse behaviour has been manifest in the way the team plays & even in their decision not to dress subban. it’s like they’re playing not to lose. 2-1 over Latvia? c’mon. good thing we had hamhuis, vlasic & bouwmeister back there instead of pk – who is the most dynamic dman Canada has.
    I’m afraid for Canada today. be interesting to see who the officials are for this game. you have to wonder why bettman, the thug, is in socchi fighting with Olympic officials. why is he threatening to withdraw nhl players from future Olympics? is he trying to influence something?

4. The Teacher says:

Hey Scotland. What was the gold medal game in 2006?

5. Wintercount says:

PK, first on the ice and last one off at every practice in Sochi. I love everything about that kid, but maybe he needs to change his mojo a bit. Mike Richards put a stigma out there on him and Michel Therrien, who will never be accused, ever, of over thinking, plays a large part in how he’s perceived by other coaches, management and media throughout the league. Even the quasi-experts on RDS have started their own little movement to package him for a slew of players..
    Allow me to be his agent for a brief moment.

1 – Sign the contract that gets you to UFA status.

2 – Watch old tapes of Henri Richard, Bobby Orr and Jim Brown. When Orr or the “pocket rocket” were involved in a goal they headed directly to the faceoff circle, no glam, no slappin’ high-fives at the bench…drop the puck ref, just like pond hockey.
    Try that.
    And the great Jim Brown, after he runs over middle linebacker Sam Huff, is sprinting towards the end zone where no one ever caught him from behind.
    Now comes the celebration. Jim just drops the ball and begins slowly walkin’ to the sidelines, I mean really slow…before he gets to the bench the Browns have already kicked the extra point and the kickoff is under way. Loved that cool.

Long story short, do what Gretzky said, and be cool about it!

- Jimmy Brown turned 78 this week. Holy S**t.

• Captain aHab says:

I totally disagree…let the kid play and be demonstrative…lots of players are but I guess THEY play the white way…

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

6. Listened to the comeback on the car radio while waiting for my daughter to finish her shift…then watched the OT with her in a restaurant while we ordered lunch.

Unreal being able to watch that thrilling victory with my favorite girl.

I’ll have to choose better restaurants though…this one seemed to have alot of dust in the air.

punkster is Canadian!!!

7. Marek says:

Mr. Snow isn’t too happy with the IOC and IIHF. “it’s a joke”

8. Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

Cannot wait to get home and watch the highlights tonight..re live that excitment again..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

9. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Got angry listening to “Nice-Guy” Pierre McGuire on the radio again the other day.

Calling Ted Nolan ‘Teddy’.
    After most questions, saying, “wow, what a really great question,” or “that’s a really, really good question, thanks for asking.”

He’s such a simpering lickspittle.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. Da Hema says:

To the Canadian Women’s Hockey Team: I am willing to provide post-game massages! Just call!!

11. Danno says:

Double

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. CHicoHab says:

Naw. They shook

13. Danno says:

Did the U.S. leave the ice before the Canadian women’s hockey team could shake their hands? Not sure what happened but I didn’t see the customary post-game handshake between the two teams.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

14. ClutchNGrab says:

Title change to stir the pot…

15. Da Hema says:

Awesome Canadian Grrlz! Love our women’s hockey team — they are the very best of what is meant by “amateur athletes.” So proud of our ladies!!

16. Peter Young says:

Both teams deserve high praise for putting on a spectacularly entertaining display of hockey. The energy and intensity were palpable throughout, and the skating and stickwork were brilliant at times. That comeback has to rate as one of the greatest in hockey history. The will to win the Canadian team showed reminded me of Maurice Richard.

I’ve lived most of my life in the USA, but was introduced to hockey during my four-plus years in Canada as a boy long ago and so cheer for Canada in international play. Canada will always be hockey’s home, and it’s good to see the hockey gold going home once again. Now for the men’s semifinal. Go, Canada, go. Go Carey, go P.K.

17. Danno says:

What a thriller!

The Ladies!!!!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

18. StevieM61 says:

Thanks to all my HIO family members for the words of support/encouragement.
    I would have ackowledged all of them earlier but I am ( like always ) still sitting here answering work-related emails.go figure.

I will get a very good package – maybe close to 46 weeks pay… and a retainer bonus for staying on another month to clean crap up…

but it is still a kick in the nads from a company I gave 30 years of my life to…

Anyway – thanks again guys/gasl
    Always great to sit and look at the “lively” discussions here and I will continue to do so regardless..

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

19. ClutchNGrab says:

Here’s a question I wanted to ask.

If you are Pacioretty or Doughty, do you share with your Olympic teammates the weaknesses of your NHL team’s goaltender?

Well, Pierre Lebrun ask that question to those two players, Doughty answered shoot high, Pacioretty answered, Price has no weaknesses, you have to create opportunities.

I think allegiance should go to your team first, I prefer Max’s answer…

• Marek says:

I like both answers. Im sure the teams have scouted both goalies, perhaps max is keeping their plan hush hush, however quick is known to play low to the ice so the obvious solution would be to shoot high. However if i am either of those guys im not thinking about my NHL club right now, it’s all or nothing for either team, for your country

• shlamiel says:

Of course he would be diplomatic

20. crane says:

Always knew Kessel was a girl.

21. JUST ME says:

What an incredible game ! Speechless.
    And to think that some (including me) were sceptical about it deserving to be in the olympics.
    Never will forget this afternoon !
    Give me more of that 4 on 4 20 minutes overtime. Really liked it but man! Be still my little heart !

22. Sportfan says:

Wow what a game

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

23. habs11s says:

Another Kessel with a third period collapse!!

_____________________________________________________________

24. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

One more Gold, and we’re in second place overall!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Amazing win by the Canadian women!

Must say, those two calls against the Americans though…..

(tugs collar)

Then again, the lineswoman almost lost it for us, right?

26. StevieM61 says:

It was nice to be able to be at home and watch that great performance by the Canadian women’s team.
    Unfortunate part is that I was only able to because myself and my entire dept was laid off this morning.By Americans……

Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Dick Pound was My upstairs neighbour when I was a kid on Ridgewood in Montreal during his gold medal victory eons ago

…amazing to see him presenting this medal and that We are still both around after all these moons and sunrises

…Russia, under Putin, is a reprehensible choice to present the Olympic Games, but, if We are there, We might as well excel

…We are HALF way there …GO P.K. !!! , GO CAREY !!!, GO CANADA !!! …GOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

28. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

Always kiss your goalposts. But man, how could the linesperson get in the way like that? Imagine if that puck had gone in…

29. Marek says:

I actually got choked up when I heard they won, so proud

30. Storman says:

Amanda Kessel’s silver and Phil Kessel’s bronze will look nice in the family room trophy case.

31. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I felt like barfing for the women at the end; just watching them skate around 3-on-3 was tough!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Prop Is Canadian says:

“@Sochi_Goalpost: @tsnjamesduthie I am a Canadian hero!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

33. Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

That was incredible..now for our boys to do it tomorow…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

34. D Mex-iCanadian says:

@ scamorza
    Thanks for the laugh on the previous thread.
    I throughly enjoyed it :lol:

@ all poster for this game
    Thanks for the positive theme in both threads here during this game – I can’t remember when it has been this stress-free. Well done ladies and gents :!:

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

35. CJ says:

Very nice! Way to go ladies! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come tomorrow. No offence to my American friends, but I’d love to see Price shine in a 3-0 win.

36. Storman says:

American girls look like they are getting thorns put around there necks..

37. the twilight hours of a Canadian winter says:

One of the greatest hockey games we will ever witness.

38. Peter Young says:

The NBC commentators were certainly subdued when Canada tied it and again when Canada scored the winning goal. No real celebration of what a tremendous comeback that was. Not surprising, I guess, that these commentators are all homers rather than neutral professionals when it comes to the Olympics and national team play.

39. Plekasuares says:

OK now we HAVe to win tommorow

40. Buzz Lightbeer says:

My Bruins buddy told me Dineen should coach the habs because he knows how to get the most out of a bunch of ladies. Low blow but i still chuckled.

41. mrhabby says:

a game for the ages ladies…unreal heart.

42. naweed235 says:

Did anybody else catch that guy named Dick Pound on CBC?

43. Et le Canadian but says:

Those of us watching the game were witness to a new Olympic Canadian classic, wow!

Down 2 zip with less than 3 1/2 minutes to go, we tie it up with our goalie pulled and win it in OT!

With our goalie pulled, there was a bump from the linesperson that
    caused the Canadian D to misplay the puck at the point, the result being an American shot down the ice at an empty net, which hit the post and stayed out.

It was that close!!! What a treat to watch; an instant classic.

44. Shiram.ca says:

This is our sport!

45. Storman says:

Way to go girls,, AWESOME
    SZABADOS, Spooner ,, POULIN WOW

But..Penalties in OT that is why refs hate to call them, the ref started it with the check on Canada then it snowballed on her and she helped decide OT..

46. Prop Is Canadian says:

Internet high fives all around!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

47. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

This makes up for all the boring and stressful hockey we’ve been watching.

Hope our men’s team is inspired by the better halves. ;)

Awesome game!

48. FlyAngler says:

Congrats to Canada, you don’t win gold four times in a row unless you’re pretty damn good. That said, the slashing call on the U.S. was as a bad a call in overtime as I have ever seen. Sad that officiating in overtime no less should play such a role in a game to decide gold.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Chris says:

Agreed. That was an absolutely brutal penalty call.

• monmick is Canadian says:

Officiating was not biased; just plain incompetent. Even the linesmen. They were close to determining the outcome on several occasions, and on both sides…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• FlyAngler says:

The U.S. had a 2 goal lead and an opportunity to win it with an empty netter and they didn’t get it done. In a 2-2 game in overtime, you almost knew that given history Poulin would be the one to win it.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

49. Cal says:

The quadruple-reverse whammy worked! I may take Boone’s spot yet.

50. ClutchNGrab says:

Down 2-0 in the third, but they win! Go Canada Go! Canada #1!

51. joeybarrie says:

Unbelievable.

52. CHicoHab says:

One Kessel down. One more to go!!!

53. Plekasuares says:

Lol USA

54. monmick is Canadian says:

Both teams are crying. Even the refs…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

55. Say Ash says:

Look for horrible calls against the Canadian men’s team tomorrow to even things out.

56. Peter Young says:

Wonder what a bet on Canada to win would have gotten us had we bet with five minutes to go in regulation time.

57. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

WE WIN!!!

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

58. Sportfan says:

YEAHHHHHH! WE WON GO CANADA GO !!!!!! GOLDEN GOAL

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. jols says:

Where’s Cal? Don’t doubt the Canadians bro. lol

60. CHicoHab says:

Doesn’t matter we got it!!’