Goalie Fucale among 17 players Canadiens send down to AHL’s IceCaps

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Saturday morning that 17 players have been cut from training camp and reassigned to the American Hockey League’s St. John’s IceCaps, including goalie Zachary Fucale.

The other players headed to St. John’s are: Mac Bennett, Tim Bozon, Connor Crisp, Stefan Fournier, Dalton Thrower, Travis Brown, Edward Pasquale, Nicolas Blanchard, Angelo Miceli, Jamal Watson, Ryan Johnston, Brett Lernout, Mark MacMillan, Brandon McNally, Markus Eisenschmid and Josiah Didier. The 17 players will head to Newfoundland on Sunday for the IceCaps training camp. The IceCaps will play three games against the Toronto Marlies on Oct. 1, 2 and 4.

That leaves 40 players still at the Canadiens camp (24 forwards, 13 defensemen and three goaltenders).

Mike Condon is slated to start in goal for the Canadiens Saturday night in Toronto against the Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m., SN, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and is expected to play the full game. Coach Michel Therrien announced after Thursday night’s 5-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks that his starting goalie will play the entire game for the remainder of the preseason schedule.

The Canadiens won’t have many regulars in the lineup against the Leafs Saturday night.

Dale Weise is excited to be playing again on a line with David Desharnais and Tomas Fleischmann, a 31-year-old veteran of 581 career NHL games who is on a tryout contract with the Canadiens.

“I’m getting a chance to play with Davey … I’m real familiar with him,” Weise told reporters after Saturday’s morning practice. “I really enjoy playing with him. It was only one game with Fleisch, but I thought we had some good chemistry, we’re having some fun playing together. Hopefully we can keep that going. It’s nice when you get to play with guys for a couple of days. You start to see their tendencies and stuff like that.”

Weise added that Desharnais is easy to play with.

“I know where he is all the time,” Weise said of the centre. “If I get it on the wall and we’re in the D zone, he’s always talking, he’s always in tight. Sometimes you play with some guys that kind of like (to) be ahead of the play, everyone’s kind of different. But Davey, we always talk about being low in our D zone and he’s always underneath, so he’s easy to find.”

Defenceman Noah Juulsen, the Canadiens’ first-round pick at this year’s NHL entry draft (26th overall), has been sidelined during training camp because of concussion but took part in Saturday’s practice.

“It was pretty cool being out there for the first time, just coming back from an injury,” he told reporters after practice.

“It’s tough, but I’m still here and hopefully I’ll get a chance to hopefully get in a game, but I’m just not sure yet,” he added.

After Saturday’s game, the Canadiens will face the Pittsburgh Penguins Monday night in Quebec City with Carey Price expected to start.

(Photo by Craig Glover/The London Free Press/Postmedia Network)

• Game Day Report, canadiens.com

• Game Preview, nhl.com

1. Max says:

ot? wtf?…..dumb

2. Max says:

Finally one in the bag. Good game.Condon wasn’t busy but was exceptional when he had to be.

3. lizard ranger says:

A lot of minor league players tonight.
    But truly amateur broadcasting on sports net.

4. B says:

McNiven stops all 30 shots, 1-0 over Guelph in OT.

–Go Habs Go!–

5. Coach K says:

Condon sure has been tested tonight and I gotta say he looks great! Doesn’t get rattled no matter what comes his way!

Somebody needs to tune up those Leaf net crashers though…just sayin’

-“Those who underestimate the intelligence of others usually overestimate their own”-

6. Max says:

The Laffs are really running Condon tonight.

7. Coach K says:

Anybody else noticing that more games are blacked out on NHL Centre Ice? I’m hoping its only for the pre-season.

Because if this is a new direction then I’m doubting that it will be worth keeping the subscription. I mean, what’s the point of a paid subscriber network if the league can black out games? I live more than 165 Km from the closest NHL arena – more than a 3 hr. round trip nnot including the 3 plus hours for the game. I’m no going to endure 6+ hours to attend a bunch of games. As I see it, my subscription is the way I pay to attend so what’s the point of the NHL blacking any of them out?? They’re getting my money regardless.

Stupid to alienate the people who pay your wages Mr. Bettman.

8. aHabberlikeyous says:

Yo HIO! Not watching the game tonite… just answering Coach K question: who wouldnt want a diet Alfredsson (read not zero) on their team? Sure asparthame isnt the same as refined sugar, the former linked to causing cancer and the latter to rotting teeth, diabetes and slavery, but Fleishmann is the best of the newbs so far!

9. Forum Dog says:

Tinordi looking really tentative out there. He is not playing like a guy intent on making the team.

10. Arnou Ruelle says:

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Gallagher
    Eller – Galchenyuk – Semin
    Fleischmann – Desharnais – Weise
    de la Rose – Mitchell – Flynn/Kassian
    McCarron, Hudon

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Petry
    Beaulieu – Gilbert
    Pateryn, Tinordi

Price
    Condon/Tokarski

Ok. Pretty interesting Top-9 lineup. Looks good. I wonder what DSP could still bring with the team?

11. punkster says:

Sooby versus Gally?

There’s an ugly history there, total hate, as you can see from their numerous run ins over the past couple of years.

The camera doesn’t lie.

Release the Subbang!!!

12. jshrimper says:

Hey Gents,

This is my first post with Hockey Inside Out, cant wait to contribute to habs conversation throughout the year!!

• Coach K says:

Welcome aboard!! Hope you don’t mind the mess…it gets like this from time to time 😉

More long term contract madness in the NHL. Brent Seabrook, who will be 31 when his new contract kicks in, just received 55M over 8 years.

24 Cups

14. crane says:

D.D. might be our number one line again this year.

15. Mick says:

Relax, It is to early to get up or down on players. I just watch and see who will make the team, then enjoy the season. Just stop speculating on Tiny and everyone else. Enjoy the ride, FFS….

16. Stevie.Ray says:

Sub ban and Gallagher going at it in practice today. It looks bad but I love it. Guys come to play every time

17. Phil C says:

The DD line has looked really good. All three guys have something to play for so that helps.

Can’t believe they’re showing the PK Gallagher thing on Sportsnet. I would think that kinda stuff should not normally be reported. Unless you want closed practices all the time.

18. Coach K says:

Dietz is a brutal skater. Lifts his heels way off the ice as he strides back for the puck. It reduces his stride length, efficiency and foot speed big time. Needs some remedial work with Paul Lawson.

19. Coach K says:

I gotta say I’m liking what Fleishman is showing. Decent wheels, a willingness to work the corners and the boards and an ability to read the play and create some scoring chances. Plus he seems to have some good chemistry with DD and Wiese I could see him easily being an upgrade over Parenteau.

Anyone else see that?

20. B says:

Diaz 2 New Jersey 2 after 2

–Go Habs Go!–

21. Forum Dog says:

Hanely is an interesting player. Bit frantic at times, but seems to do a good job.

22. Stevie.Ray says:

Nice goal. Toronto defence completely broken down leaving two guys wide open. Easy goal.

Also, I’m not a fan of the laces on the jersey. Seems gimmicky and dumb. Utterly pointless. Nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. Why not get those massive ugly brown leather gloves too?

23. Forum Dog says:

Great pass by DD. My first thought was he should shoot, but he held up and Weise had a whole net to look at.

24. punkster says:

DD can play with anybody.

Release the Subbang!!!

25. Forum Dog says:

Anybody else hate the idea of Lemaire working for the Leafs? Has to make you wary of the what they are building over there.

26. Stevie.Ray says:

Darren Millard just gave the most pathetic interview with Lamoriello I have ever seen.

27. on2ndthought says:

Had completely forgotten how bad/sad Sportsnet’s coverage is…

“a cannonading drive” from Section 308, Row EE, seat 9

28. AllHailTheFlower says:

And on the bright side, Kaley Cuoco is single again.

29. AllHailTheFlower says:

Condon seems to be doing well thus far – square to the shooters, good puck awareness, etc.

Sadly, Smith-Pelley’s passing ability is already in mid-season form. 🙁

30. Maksimir says:

Only the pre-season and I am already sick of the Sportsnet guys stroking themselves over the Leafs and Babcock.

Is there a double entendre there?

Habs coaches are no good… none of them. Not a single one.

32. ProHabs says:

Paz. I be interested in yours or anyone elses impressions of Louis Leblanc when he was a teenager. Those that saw him play, did he dominate games, did he stand out most times, was he the best player on the ice. I’m interested on how he looked when he played Midget AAA and in the USA.

I only saw him play in the world juniors and of course the NHL. I had high hopes for him and was disappointed things didn’t work out for him.

• Paz says:

He was the best midget player in the province as a 15 year old. He was dominant. Fantastic player.

He went to the ushl and was excellent. Rookie of the year.
      He went to Harvard. Again, Rookie of the year.

But when he came back to play for the Montreal Juniors he was not great. He was very good, but not dominating.
      Then he had a bad shoulder injury, and a bad upper ankle injury later in Hamilton.

I’m heading out now, so enjoy the game.

33. Arnou Ruelle says:

Hi guys, does anybody know the live streaming channel in YouTube? Thanks to the guy who can provide that.

34. Paz says:

Russell Martin will be playing in his 8th playoffs in the past 10 years this season.

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

Considering what’s at stake, I believe We should be playing Tinordi top-6 on Our D until the end of pre-season to give Him every opportunity to gain confidence and best evaluate where He is at.

Will be a kick in the teeth to Me if He is waived.

• VintageFan says:

yeah, would likely be picked up by a team with a GOOD defense coach

• Paz says:

What part of Tinordi’s game impresses you? I haven’t seen anything except he has a long reach.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Will He be Chris Pronger ? Right now that’s a stretch, but a Player with the size and tools like Tinordi are rare.

I have seen Him play live. He’s one of those that need patience and it will be worthwhile waiting for.

• Paz says:

Sometimes, as fans, we get attached to certain prospects when we see them as youngsters or live.

I saw Louis Leblanc play live as a teenager. I got to know his mom and dad. I followed his progress to the States, Harvard, drafted by the Habs in the first round, Montreal Juniors, Hamilton, and finally to Montreal.

How could he not succeed, I asked myself?

• durocher says:

It would be a kick in the teeth in the sense that we used a 1st round pick on Tinordi (and may have traded up for him). But I haven’t seen much from him to justify a roster spot. I doubt we’ll lose him for nothing.

I liked DLR’s play last season, but he’s had a subpar training camp, in my view. Given that he can be sent down without having to clear waivers, my sense is that DLR could be a good candidate for more time in St. Johns.

Flynn also hasn’t done much to justify a roster spot either — he’s as bland as can be, and has brief glimpses of defensive effectiveness, nothing more. I wouldn’t have given Mitchell a three-year deal, but I guess he’s a RH C homeboy.

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

They have yet to use de la Rose at 4th line centre.

Mitchell may be fast, but de la Rose is at least as fast, plus MOAR.

For Me, fast and MOAR beats out fast and diminutive every time.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

P.K. is a hot-dog with a huge ego. A hot-dog with a huge heart too.

Contradicting slightly.

Great for the Fans being entertained, but among Your Player peers it can be grating at times.

At the end of the day, it’s all about winning. Win and it’s a love-fest.

Lose and that grating can really get on Your nerves.

• ProHabs says:

I get the impression his teammates love PK. I’m sure he makes the players laugh their heads of in the dressing room. And PK is also able to laugh at himself which is great. He has made so many big plays for the team and bailed so many players out, how can they not like him.

38. habsfan1001 says:

I don’t know but shouldn’t he be getting the players who are starting the season a chance to play to get ready.

39. Paz says:

The camp has so far not gone very well. Last night was embarrassing, especially since Price was in nets.

Isn’t it possible that Subban was irritated by this? Maybe he sensed that the team was lacking intensity in camp? Maybe he was taking it upon himself to wake everyone up, to send a message?

Gallagher would also be bringing more intensity to practice today, looking to increase the energy level in the camp.

I’ve seen “fights” in practice that were encouraged by the coach. Even if the coach is not directly implicated, he is usually pleased to see that his leaders are showing they care, and that their adrenalin and intensity might get the better of them even in practice.

It happens all the time, at virtually every training camp not only in the NHL, but all the way down the line from junior to bantam and midget hockey.

You don’t have to be Mike Babcock to know this.

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

I could care less over losing 10-1 vs the Coyotes, but even losing 1-0 to da Weeds ‘leaves’ Me depressed for days on end

Pre-season or no pre-season. 🙁

41. Captain aHab says:

Drogba is an amazing football player. Has scored two in the first half and could have had a third.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

42. habzfan2003 says:

Hey folks, looking forward to the season once again. Hope everyone’s summer was pleasant.

2 cents: In my non-professional opinion.. I’m highly doubting that Condon is gonna replace Ticker this season… I mean this is just pre-season… Yea Condon has been great, but I mean, I just can’t see him jumping past Ticker in the depth chart just from pre-season play… Even if he gets a 50 save shutout out tonight vs. the Leafs. I think the goaltending situation is a foregone conclusion. Stranger things have happened of course, but for what it’s worth (Which is absolutely nothing). I think it’ll be just like last season with CP, and Ticker. Giving the younger goalies time to develop in SJ or wherever they are assigned.

And what the heck lemmie give my game 1 regular season lineup. (Which I’ve pretty much already had decided a few weeks ago:

Patch Chucky Gally
    Flash Plecky Semin
    DD Eller Kassian/Weise
    DLR/Hudon Mitchell DSP/Weise

Marky Pk
    N8 Petry
    Emelin/Tinner Pateryn/Gilbert

Price
    Ticker

Something like that anyway. Realistically tho… All I’m really concerned with are securing the W’s..

And maybe a few goals here and there would be nice…

*Runs for cover*

43. JF says:

Why is there no mention of Nikita Scherbak? Is he injured, out of favour, or what?

44. Bim says:

Big game tonite for Condon. Toker has not been impressive this year in the little he has played. Nor did he look impressive last year. I would assume he will have one last chance and if he blows it…say hello St.John’s. If he gets put on waivers I don’t think teams will be clamouring to pick him up. Other than the possibility of Condon making it my picks for forwards are Fleischmann, Kassian, Semin and DSP with McCarron and DeLarose maybe making an appearance sometime before season’s end. Those two young guys have to play to get better and I just don’t see that happening in Montreal. Either way its all good.

45. Ummmmm says:

Lets go big Mac. I’m rootin for ya.

46. Grimmly says:

Why has Sherbak not play game yet is he hurt. ?

• monmick says:

Lower body injury. Based on how he was playing at the rookie tournament, I suspect he was playing hurt. At least I hope so…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

I can’t believe how many homeruns the Blue Jays hit on a consistent basis. Totally unreal.

24 Cups

• PK says:

@24: Magic number is now 5.
      October should be fun – Habs starting the real season and the Jays making a run in the playoffs.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

48. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Dumb question: what is a tryout contract? Are the salary terms already agreed to? Knew Flieschmann would make this team if he was 100% healthy. The guy has always showed offensive ability.

49. on2ndthought says:

Last year, after the Rangers series the year before, Tokarski would not have cleared waivers. This year, I think he would. So it really comes down to who plays better; Tokarski or Price, to back up Condon.

“a cannonading drive” from Section 308, Row EE, seat 9

50. naweed235 says:

Is Subban gonna fight everyone on the team? Pleky, DD and now Gallagher?

51. Un Canadien errant says:

The latest from Sean McIndoe:

…and Katie Baker:

———————————————————————–
    Free Antonio Gates!

• 24 Cups says:

Five years is a long time in today’s NHL. Tough to handicap Stanley Cup teams that far in advance.

As for the alleged rape charge, it’s now 2015 and we still see bs like this going on. Truth and justice are sometimes the two most difficult ideals to achieve.

24 Cups

52. JUST ME says:

Many of my wishes have been granted.

This is a huge game for Condon. This might just be his ticket to the NHL and personnaly i hope that it will be.

No surprises in the cuts made today. It`s a good thing for everyone. None of the chosen really had a chance to stay here and none of the ones left have a chance either, maybe an outside one if an injury occurs but still, it won`t be a permanent gig. Not even for big Mac. He needs and deserves to play AHL hockey, take his time and mature.

I only have one wish left. For us to level the Laughs tonight !

• Max says:

Yes,this is Condon’s potential big break.No pun intended.If he messes up tonight,there’s a good chance he is on his way to St.John’s.A solid game and he gets another serious look to sit next to Price.The ball is in his court for sure. I’m rooting for the kid.

53. Un Canadien errant says:

Catching up on my PVR’ed Rugby World Cup games, and watching the Australia-Fiji game right now (don’t spoil it!), the Aussies have a second-row who weighs in at 145 kgs! And he looks trim, not chubby or beefy at all.

Amazing athletes generally in this tournament, the size and strength and fitness and stamina of these guys, amazing specimens.

A few years ago, the Fijian team was in Vancouver for a test match, and they came up to Whistler for a training camp. I have never seen so many genuinely big men in my life before. You couldn’t really tell the forwards from the backs, they were all hulking, with traps bigger than my quads.

———————————————————————–
    Free Antonio Gates!

54. HabsChris says:

I’m excited about these lines. DD is in a much more suitable role and a line of Weise-DD-Flieschmann will really help with secondary scoring. They’ll definitely be able to pop some goals. I believe success will come down to the second lines ability to produce.

55. Bilbo says:

It seems one of the interesting battle in the pre-season will be between Condon and Tokarski. Let the better goalie win…

56. Un Canadien errant says:

Is tonight Morgan Ellis’ first pre-season game?

———————————————————————–
    Free Antonio Gates!

57. B says:

Tonight’s Roster:
    Andrighetto, Carr, de la Rose, Desharnais, Dumont, Fleischmann, Grégoire, Holloway, Kassian, McCarron, Smith-Pelly, Thomas, Weise
    Barberio, Dietz, Ellis, Hanley, Pateryn, Tinordi
    Condon, Tokarski

I am wondering if they have 13 forwards listed in case Dumont is not able to play?

–Go Habs Go!–

58. B says:

And then there were 40. Still in Camp:
    Pacioretty* – Plekanec – Gallagher
    Eller – Galchenyuk – Semin
    Fleischmann – Desharnais – Weise
    de la Rose – Mitchell – Kassian
    Andrighetto, Bournival*, Carr, Dumont, Flynn, Grégoire, Holloway, Hudon, McCarron, Scherbak*, Smth-Pelly, Thomas

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Petry
    Beaulieu – Gilbert
    Barberio, Deitz, Ellis, Hanley, Juulsen*, Pateryn, Tinordi

Condon, Price, Tokarski

*Injured

–Go Habs Go!–

59. TorontoHabsFan says:

Repost from last thread:

Still trying to figure out what the bottom six will look like.

Top Six looks set:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
    Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin

But the bottom? There’s a lot of bodies for six spots, no?

Fleischmann-Desharnais-Kassian(?)
    Smith-Pelley-Mitchell-Weise

Extras: Flynn, Thomas?

Thoughts?

• Dust says:

Thats exactly the lineup im seeing. The only other thing i could see is DLR makes the team

• FormalWare says:

My thought is that Larry moves back down to third-line centre the moment Patches dresses. The only way he moves up is when (if?) Plex is traded.

Patches-Chucky-Semin
      NotButter-Plex-Gally
      DD-Larry-Kash/Weise
      Flynn-Mitchell-DSP/Kash/Weise

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Forum Dog says:

Maybe, but if that line continues to look strong it would be hard to move him off it. As long as A) they play Galchenyuk at centre, or B) maintain the current roster, they are gonna have one of last year’s centres playing out of position.

• Arrow77 says:

I’m not so sure about Smith-Pelley. Him and De La Rose (and Tokarski) have a job to lose but they may very well end up losing it. Remember when we thought Bournival was here to stay? The same thing may happen to any of them.

Edit: Why not join in with my predictions.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
      Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin
      Fleischmann-Desharnais-Kassian/Weise
      Flynn-Mitchell-Weise/Kassian

extras: Smith-Pelley, McCarron

Contracts are a factor I’m not equipped to fully analyze. DSP could definitely be cut and management could decide McCarron would do better getting ice time in the minors and be replaced with De La Rose. I’m confident about my top 12 though.

• elliottko says:

That’s the lines right now. Dlr goes to the minors which works for me. The club is building organizational depth.

60. Islandhabber69 says:

1st!!…first time!!!…..4/3 for the hab nots….