Goalie coach Groulx creates special bond with Price

Canadiens goaltending coach Pierre Groulx recently sat down with The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs for his first in-depth interview since he joined the Canadiens in the summer of 2009. He talked about the maturation of Habs cornerstone Carey Price: from the goalie’s arrival as a young phenom in 2007 to his development into an elite netminder, from his insecurities of losing the starter’s job during the 2010 playoffs to the quiet confidence he’s since developed, in Groulx’s eyes having become a top-flight netminder from those playoffs during which he warmed the bench.

Below are links to this week’s Hockey Inside/Out special section stories as we wait for the puck to drop Thursday night in Florida when the Canadiens take on the Panthers (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

General manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday morning that the Canadiens have acquired goaltender Dustin Tokarski from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Cédrick Desjardins.

Tokarski, 23, played 33 games with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch this season, posting a record of 18-8-4 with a 2.46 goals-against average and .900 save percentage. Desjardins was a member of the Canadiens organization from 2006 to 2010 before returning to the Canadiens on July 1, 2012 as a free agent. He had a 7-13-2 record this season with the Hamilton Bulldogs along with a 2.94 goals-against average.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Price and coach Groulx form strong partnership, by Dave Stubbs

Preparing backup goaltenders a challenge for Groulx, by Dave Stubbs

Habs need to get bigger, tougher, by Jack Todd

Pep talk leads to results for fourth liners, by Pat Hickey

Killorn’s journey goes from West Island to Tampa Bay, by Pat Hickey

1. Old Bald Bird says:

Just saw Cammalleri score. I always liked that understated and modest little celebratory fist pump. He was insane for us in that playoff run.

• Bill says:

In that playoff drive he was locked in and on a mission. One of the only Don Cherry segments I ever thought was good showed Cammalleri doing his pre-game visualization … it was spooky.

Full Breezer 4 Life

2. Rudy says:

Is Karllsons injury the same as Markov’s with Carey’s skate?

3. chilehabfan says:

Now that the Sens lost their best puck-moving D, will they want Kaberle? If so, what do we get in return?

4. Andy and the habs says:

So what happens when a player who has a long term contract but suffers a career ending injury due to someone’s hit on him. Does he still receive the same amount of the money he was supposed to get paid?

5. WhatUp says:

gotta feel bad for Cooke. seems player”s heads get in the way of his elbows and now this..
    if I’m the Sens I go for Sid’s knees next game. If I’m Pittsburgh I burry Cooke in the minors (or out of the NHL, anywhere). they should be held accountable for dressing him. can’t prove the intent but jeez…

6. Stormin says:

Hey you know what guys ,, i can not believe how much we all love this sport, night in night out, we talk Hockey anytime the itch needs to be scratched boys , thanks , and sorry in advance if my opinions or constant attempts at throwing humor on game nights offends anyone, NHL rocks like that girl you said you would never talk to again, thanks for the sounding board guys even if we agree to dis-agree that is what makes this site what it is……..

7. OMG says:

I would like to see Eller switch places with DD for a few games to see what he can do. That line is not doing anything anyway.

8. Un Canadien errant says:

Regarding the Kevlar socks as protection from cuts from skate blades, it always reminds me of these Kevlar glove liners we received years ago as part of our kit that was meant to provide sharps protection when worn under leather gloves. One of my coworkers, an intelligent, mature, thoughtful guy, decided to test them out at home by wearing one and drawing his butchering knife across the palm of his hand. A complete brain cramp, but he thought he’d be somewhat protected, and he wasn’t, he cut himself real deep and had to get mondo stitches, he was off work for a month. So yeah, Kevlar fabrics work, but only to a degree.

• t1tan5 says:

Might have wanted to try that trick on a carrot first.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Man, we were boggled. The thing is, we were young stupid punks, and he was the friendly uncle type who was hired to keep us in line, make sure we don’t run amok. Then he pulls this stunt. We let him have it, absolutely grilled him on why he didn’t test the glove, oh, let’s say when it’s not on his hand maybe, made fun of him as much as we could for a man who was senior to us and our superior.

• t1tan5 says:

At least your boss could take a joke. I know of some that run their work groups with an iron fist. I’ve always been a player’s coach type myself, but to each his own.

• Clay says:

On a different note, I saw you and Bill talking about Jack Todd on the previous page. I replied there to you, but since it is well buried, Ii thought I would share it with you here:
      I agree with you and Bill – but I do get the get the vitriolic dislike. I think it stems from the fact that he sometimes criticizes the sacred cows we often have on the Habs. Some people here are so blinded by ‘homerism’ that a little critique seems like a full-on assault on their way of life.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I’m not saying I’m right and everyone else is wrong, just puzzled how much people dislike or even boycott his stuff. He writes well, he’s entertaining.

• Clay says:

For the most part I like his writing as well. He is entertaining for sure. Sometimes he goes a little too far, but don’t we all? I like that he has the balls to make moral judgements, because there is too much false equivalency in the media in the guise of impartiality.
          I admit, I also share his political viewpoints – at least, inasmuch as I understand his.

__________________________

• Bill says:

Just went back to the buried thread and saw your comments, also glad to know I’m not the only one.

I actually think one of the reasons he is so disliked is that he evaded the Vietnam draft. Some people view that negatively … whereas of course I regard it as the only sane move in the face of being forced to participate in something close to genocide.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Clay says:

Yeah, I also agree with his draft evasion. Getting involved in a war of aggression in a third world jungle doesn’t appeal to me, and I would certainly have made the same decision as he did.
            Although I love Vietnam; I just would rather visit as a tourist.

__________________________

• Bill says:

The greatest minds of the Republican party have done their best to concoct a justification for that war … all have failed. My grandfather fought in WWII, and he could be proud of that. Tough one for the Vietnam guys, even if they were “just following orders”. Incidentally, my grandfather isn’t proud, or at least if he is I don’t know, because he cannot speak about it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Clay says:

The Republicans have done the same to justify Iraq…they keep failing. WWII was a ‘just’ war, inasmuch as that concept exists. A clear aggressor was present, and needed to be defeated. Your grandfather should be proud.
            I also get that he can’t speak about it. We see so many movies and propaganda glorifying war, but anyone with half a brain understands it’s devastating effects on real people – and I’m talking about those who survived it, not those who died.

*Edit*
            Hahaha, “Great minds in the Republican party” indeed! Hahaha!
            __________________________

• boing007 says:

He wrote a book about it: The Taste of Metal: A Deserter’s Story, by Jack Todd. I tried for an Arts Council grant for my projected book some twenty plus years ago but it was dismissed as an irrelevant subject. Fortunately for all of us (some 200,000 plus young Americans or more), Trudeau was Prime Minister at the time and not Stephen Harper.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Mattyleg says:

Did you read my take on him?

It has nothing to do with him criticizing the Habs (I wouldn’t be on here if I couldn’t take reading that), but just that he’s always the last to do it, and the most ham-fisted.

His inanity goes beyond hockey too, to other sports and world issues that he is equally incapable of commenting insightfully upon.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

I did read your take, and I can understand it. I am not exposed to the Montreal media like you are (due to where I live), so I really can’t speak as to his timing.
          I do like that he expresses his opinions (much like Boone does here), and I get how people who disagree with them can be turned off. Case in point, I recall how I and others here were exposed to virulent hatred for expressing the opinion Halak should play over Price. That was an argument where I tried to stay with only the facts (stats), and still many expressed outrage and hatred. This is what I meant by the sacred cow argument. In fact, I think many here actually hate Todd for that exact reason – because he supported Halak over Price (not you, as you stated clear reasons).
          __________________________

• Danno says:

Good thing he didn’t try that on his Kevlar underwear

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Say Ash says:

It’s like that urban legend about a guy who tries to prove how strong a window is buy accidentally jumping through it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Except that, scout’s honour, this one is not an urban legend, but rather absolutely true. Again, the guy wasn’t thinking.

Which reminds me of the time when I noticed a crazy long hair growing out of the top of my earlobe. Yes I’m that old. I’d just gotten a haircut I guess and saw it in the mirror, and nonchalantly pulled out some shears we use in First Aid settings to quickly cut through clothes. Anyway, I was about to take a big chop at it while thinking about other things when it hit me, stop you fool. I was a half-second away from possibly shearing off half my ear.

• Clay says:

I love the last line in that article; “Our advice is to apply the same rule to architecture as you do to computers: Don’t ever bet your life on windows not crashing.”

__________________________

9. commandant says:

With Karlsson’s injury, is it time for the Sens to trade older players like Gonchar, and even Daniel Alfredsson and reload for next year?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. Mattyleg says:

Whether it was intentional or not (it was not), we don’t have to worry about Karlsson burning our asses now.

But it’s a terrible shame.

But we don’t have to worry about Karlsson now.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. Stormin says:

Goooooonna a be a long season for Cooke,, players throughout the league will exact retribution if they see it the way i see it very reckless may not have meant to lacerate his achilles but he meant to injure him big time IMHO, he just does not think,,, Cooke has big problems in his head, brainless

• Mattyleg says:

Why on Earth would other players in the league want to ‘exact retribution’ for injuring a player on another team?

How do you think he was trying to injure him? All he did was lift his leg to make sure he didn’t get away from his check.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Stormin says:

Matty they all play under the NHLPA other players do not respect crap like that, they will be talking about this all week among st themselves, trust me , shit like that is not tolerated in any sport among athletes making a living

• Mattyleg says:

Sure people will be pissed (if they think it was intentional, which it wasn’t), but to try to sort him out for something that didn’t happen to their team?
          Not going to happen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• EricMelvin says:

Agreed, can’t think of a single instance of a player getting what the fans thought he had coming to him. Goons get paid until they aren’t of use anymore. The NHL is an entertainment business, that means they keep an eye on the gate and the ratings.

12. Marc10 says:

I think the League will suspend Karlsson for embellishment. Maybe 3 games will teach the kid how to man up.

Colton Orr plays without a brain, Matt Cooke without a conscience, and Grabovski without a clue, so the least Karlsson can do is play without a tendon.

13. EricMelvin says:

No argument here that Cooke is a steaming pile, but can’t say that the replay shows any intent. Unfortunate for Ottawa and Karlsson, always thought Alfie deserved better, (kinda like Sundin, only I actually feel for Alfie). Neil aside, I always liked the Sens. NHL discipline is as big an oxymoron as ever there was; they think that “realignment” is what will fix the game. What the NHL needs is a player/coach as President, someone who understands the game as a business, not that the business is a game.

14. Gally27 says:

Intentional 100%

15. boing007 says:

James Bond?

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

16. Stormin says:

I have watched it over and over again ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and knowing Cooke and knowing the game he fffffffffffffffffffff meant it…… ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Could he have done intentionally? Of course. Can anyone prove it? Unfortunately no…it’s just impossible to do under such circumstances. It was definitely reckless. Lifting your skates is always dangerous.

17. Stormin says:

With the lack of discipline on anything related to fouls against Habs I am seriously starting to believe all the posters here with their conspiracy theories that Toronto hierarchy hates anything to do with les habitants,

Apparently we are averaging more than 4 minutes of penalties than the next team behind us in the most penalized team department ,, ridiculous.

18. Sportfan says:

So what did Cooke do was it accidental or on purpose?

19. Dudley the Dog says:

When I saw the play live, I thought that it was completely accidental.
    Now, having seen the replay slowed down a bit , it looks very deliberate to me. Since it is Cooke, I think that the league ought to take a close look at it. The game could use fewer Matt Cooke’s.
    Concerning O’Reilly — the habs should offer Kaberle and Weber plus a 2nd round pick. He would fit in beautifully with Canadiens.

20. Un Canadien errant says:

Crap, it looks like Erik Karlsson is out for the season with a severed Achilles Tendon, on a check by Matt Cooke. Already some grumblings that it was probably not intentional.

Too bad the kid was looking like he was going to have a Paul Coffey-type of season. And now my fantasy team, the Wu Tanguay Clan, loses its first-round draft pick and #1 defenceman. I’ve already looked at replacement free agents, pickings are very slim. I’ll hang on to him for another day and hope the prognosis isn’t so bad. I’ve already lost Max Pacioretty by pulling the trigger too soon, I’ll be patient this time.

21. Jimmy9Toes says:

I wonder if someone could find the stats on man games missed by injury caused by Matt Cooke?

22. Gally27 says:

Puck hit mesh too just before so should have been a faceoff.

23. Danno says:

Matt Cooke and his hits on Markov

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Phil C says:

Markov, Savard, now Karlsson. He has always been a reckless player so it makes it hard to give Cooke the benefit of the doubt, especially with the shot he took from Gonchar.

• Stormin says:

Danno,,, Cooke has been doing this shit throughout the league for years, he is supposed to be in anger management courses , i do not think they are working

24. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

On a side note: Aren’t there socks now that prevent this sort of injury? Anyone know if he was wearing them?

25. Habilis says:

This is a season killer for the Sens. If they had any shot of making noise in the playoffs, it’s gone now. Even as a Habs fan, I truly hope that Karlsson can come back from this. One of the best players to watch in the league, IMHO.

26. Stormin says:

Poll time i played this game my whole life and have run into fffffffers like Cooke in every league, I think he did it on purpose he has serious issue going on on his head,

I say yes he did do this on purpose as flagrant and sad as that sounds

27. Bill says:

Thinking positively, a lacerated Achilles is not as serious as a severed Achilles. Depending on how bad he was cut, he could be back for the playoffs. Worst case scenario would be never. Probable outcome is in between.

Full Breezer 4 Life

28. Gally27 says:

dirty dirty play by Cooke. Asshole

29. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What a shame for Karlsson. Sad to see Ottawa fans are going to go through what we did with Markov. Terrible also for the NHL after going through a lockout. He is definitely one of the most exciting players in the league.

30. Phil C says:

This is so awful for Karlsson because that is a tough injury to recover from. I hope it does not affect his skating when he returns because he is such a pleasure to watch. I know it can really affect runners, but hopefully the skating motion is not as influenced.

I feel bad as a pure hockey fan; Sens fans must be gutted. Spezza, Cowen, now Karlsson.

31. Stormin says:

FFFFFFFFFFFFF i may ne wrong but sure looked like Cooke knew what he was doing , fffffffffffffff that is ridiculous if he did that he is the biggest asshole in the league

32. Mavid says:

What a shame..one of the few Sens players that I liked..

33. Stormin says:

Seriously Karlsson is gone for season, damn might be the absolute best player in this league from the point in many many years, DAMN that sucks i would pay to watch him skate, Should give Markov a call for some support in the first hours of his recovery
    Ottawa is in big big trouble without Karlsson and Spezza, wow that sucks for Senator fans

34. Bill says:

That is terrible news for the Sens, I feel bad for their fans, if they have any actual fans who aren’t really Montreal or Toronto fans.

My obsession with the Habs is riddled with the bitter disappointments of serious injuries, it’s a terrible way to lose a season, as the Sens’ season is surely now lost without Karlsson. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone (other than Bruins fans obv).

Full Breezer 4 Life

35. slapshot777 says:

Tsn just saying tht Karlsson has a lacarated achilles tendon. I think surgery is scheduled for Thursday. Karlsson will be done for the season

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

36. Danno says:

Achilles tendon laceration for Karlson. Out indefinitely…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

37. Sportfan says:

Wow I’ve been busy whats happened in the Pens Sens game?

38. mdp2011 says:

Not good for Karlson, looks like season is over for him, what a shame.

@NHL_Sens: Update on Karlsson: Erik suffered a laceration to his left achilles, which will require surgery to repair. He will be out indefinitely.

39. MrNax says:

It’s like the Ottawa players know their season is over. Who do you think will get Alfredson?

What a powerplay by Pittsburgh, WOW!

41. Habilis says:

Is there a player in the NHL right now who is more valuable to his team than Karlsson is to the Sens? Huge loss for them if he misses any serious time.

42. mdp2011 says:

I have a bad feeling that Chris Neil is going to do something stupid in the 3rd period.

43. Mattyleg says:

Uhh, what the hell was Mike Johnson just talking about?
    “There’s a hard shot and then there’s a heavy shot. Gonchar has a bit of both.”

Anyone?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Baseball and Hockey have a unique likeness in this. Some people throw what we call a heavy ball. I am no physics expert but some people throw a ball that just feels heavy, same in hockey. I am sure there is an explanation, but I definitely understand the expression as it relates to baseball.

• Phil C says:

Not sure how Mike Johnson defines it, but I’ve always thought someone with a heavy shot puts a lot of spin on the puck, so it feels harder than it looked when it hits you. It also flies through the air in a stable manner, maintaining its velocity well.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve always thought that’s gobbledy-gook. A puck’s impact, the force it generates on the surface it strikes, is a product of its mass, which is constant, and its velocity squared. So the faster you can propel the puck, the harder a shot you have. It’s pretty simple. There’s no magic to it, or other factors.

If we get into semantics, I’ve found that sometimes people refer to a heavy shot as a deceptively fast, therefore hard, wrist shot, à la Jacques Lemaire or Dennis Hull, as opposed to someone who just kind of flips it at the goalie.

44. mdp2011 says:

I agree with this statement:

@SportsnetSpec: I’m on the side of careless and irresponsible, not malicious, on Cooke play.

45. frontenac1 says:

Blysma is on it. Engelland out with Crosby.

46. Gally27 says:

wow Cooke is a dirty bastard!

47. Mavid says:

I am no fan of Cooke but it was clearly accidental..I hope someone pounds out Chis Neil..he is such a jerk..

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve always liked Chris Neil.
      So hard to play against, not dirty, just tough as hell.
      I’ve wished for years that he could become a Hab.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Mavid, while I share your opinion on Neil, Cooke has a lot of Karma coming his way regardless of his intent on Karlsson. He has “earned” his reputation.

• HabFab says:

I thought that was Valentine chocolates until I did a closer view … way to go Grammy!!

• Mavid says:

Thanks for all that but I hate Chris Neil I am glad he is not a hab… he is a jerkfaced weasel tough to look at..it about all his is..
        Thanks HabFab I am so thrilled..I have received quite a few grandma gifts too everyone has been amazing..and I am lucky as my daughter in law is just the sweetest person in the world..my son picked a good one :-)

This Ottawa Pittsburgh game could get ugly. If I’m Bylsma I am very careful with Crosby and who he is on the ice with.

49. frontenac1 says:

Ouch! Karllson takes a skate on the back of the leg, a la Lange. Looked bad.

50. Danno says:

Matt Cooke will pay for his dirty hit on Karlson.

He is such a goon.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

51. Habfan10912 says:

Karlson just left the ice in a lot of pain. Ouch. Leg injury of some type.

———————————–

Sure looked like Matt Cooke’s skate caught Karlsson’s left calf Achilles area, I am sure i saw either a line of blood or just the cut in sock, but this could be bad bad news for Senators. Worse for Karlsson.

53. Mr. Biter says:

If the Habs don’t fly out after their game on Thursday night many of them will be at a small Cigar lounge on the corner of Oakland and A1A. Good chance they’ll be having dinner at an expensive Italian next door. Know the owner and when I was down in January Columbus just finished dinner there. He took me over but they had just left. Last year when the Habs played the Panthers the whole team was there after the game.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

54. Mattyleg says:

Jack Todd is to the Gazette what PJ Stock is to HNIC.

He has very strong opinions about things he doesn’t necessarily understand, and airs them in a brash and loudmouthed manner that he seems to think will make up for his lack of understanding.

He has an extremely tiresome habit of stating what was blatantly obvious to 95% of the population two weeks previously, and he is a bigger bandwagon-jumper-onner than Pierre McGuire.

He has an extremely rigid moral compass, which he adjusts whenever it suits him, and he places himself at the True North of Absoute Morality, passing questionable moral judgements on anyone who Joe Public has decided to villify, for whatever spurious reason.

He is the champion, in his House of Moral Glass, of using intangible terms such as ‘classless’ and ‘gutless’, which are rhetorically damning without any manner of backing.

Oh, and he will never, ever, admit that he is wrong. How can you be Absolute Judge of Earthly Morality if you are wrong from time to time?

For those of you who say that he is worth reading because he has an opinion, I have two words for you: Don Cherry.

And Jack Todd hates him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• wjc says:

Obvious to 95%? Comparing him to Don Cherry….flattering. Do you know how many people tune in Don Cherry to hear his rants.

wjc

• Mr. Biter says:

Can you guess how many people use his column for Kitty Litter? Matty, aggree with 1000%.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Mattyleg says:

Do you know how many more people ignore him completely because he is a joke?
        Silent majority, you know?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Matty, he asked you a question (even if there wasn’t a question mark):
          “Do you know how many people tune in Don Cherry to hear his rants.”
          I’ll say 56,363.
          Am I close?
          Oops, I almost forgot, your question:
          “Do you know how many more people ignore him completely because he is a joke?”
          Again, it’s just a guess, but I’ll say 89,456.
          Am I gonna get some jellybeans out of this?
          No, no, no, it’s rhetorical.

• Mattyleg says:

As I said; a silent majority.
            Do you know, in passing, how many of those people enjoy fine French cheeses?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. ONTARIO HAB says:

Hello my friends. Posted a couple of days ago, and got some great advice. I have a couple more questions please. I am planning on being at the Bell centre next Sat. night for the Ranger game. ( first time at the Bell centre ) I will be buying tickets from the ticket vault on the Habs website. Looks like what I want and what I can afford are two different things lol. Is sitting in the whites something I dont want to do, or will I still be good with these seats. ( can you see the scoreboard for replays and such from all seats ? ) Please, any info would be appreciated, and I will happily provide pre-game drinks at Hurleys for any members who can steer me in the right direction. I’m guessing Hurleys is the place to go, dont know, is there a better place. Thank you all in advance.

Dave

56. The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

BTW: what’s the hate on for Jack Todd all about?????

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…knowing what We know now, Anze Kopitar …or, Carey Price ?

58. HabFab says:

I have not seen this blogger here in awhile but he obviously still reads OR is it just that it makes that much sense?

• The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

It’s quite obvious that in order for the team to be successful, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk need to wake up.

I think Cole is starting to come to after his long post lockout hangover…….

59. HabFab says:

This writer suggests that Kaberle should replace Diaz in the line up;

60. Stormin says:

Can anyone shed light on a high shot incident in the pit ott game, heard something happened kind of weird, please inform

• Un Canadien errant says:

Didn’t see much there. I wasn’t paying close attention, but Sergei Gonchar loaded up from the point on the powerplay, and Matt Cooke was caught in no-man’s-land, got in the lane to block the shot. The puck got him around the neck. I guess he thinks that the shot was ridiculously high, if it had continued it would have been nowhere near the net, and that it must have been voluntary. No one was pressuring Gonchar. I guess Mr. Cooke always gets his shot to his intended target with pinpoint accuracy.

• Stormin says:

Thanks Normand heard it involved Cooke, but i thought it was karlsson who let it go . Gonchar makes more sense, and Cooke complaining puts it all in perspective, Thanks again

61. JohnBellyful says:

I watched the game on TV last night so I didn’t see how well the new play-by-play feature performed. Looked pretty neat, though.
    Just a couple of suggestions: Whenever the Habs’ opponents score in the third, start showing a few cracks in the graphic, and keep adding them with every goal the other team gets after that, or when the good guys make a bad play.
    The software program could also track posters’ comments and capture their tenor by having wisps of smoke emerge from the cracks, growing in intensity as the fans’ anger mounts.
    On the other hand, if the lads play well, the graphic takes on a fortress aspect and the mood of the jubilant fans is communicated by means of banners waving and bugles sounding, capped off by fireworks at the end celebrating a victory.
    Just like when Gomez used to score.

62. Bill says:

Jack Todd catches a lot of crap around here, and I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because he writes in a direct way that some perceive as obnoxious, and maybe because he is obviously disliked by HIO gurus Boone and Stubbs, whose opinions around here are obviously much respected.

But look, he’s a columnist, not a reporter. He doesn’t pass himself off as a hockey expert, just a casual watcher with an opinion. The fact is he knows just slightly more about hockey than your average American, and doesn’t pretend otherwise. For instance, his article about the Habs needing more tough guys is an argument any idiot could make (as proven over and over right here on HIO), and is presented as such.

He’s not paid for his hockey expertise, but because he’s a good writer and he gets a response, positive or negative. Personally I enjoy his columns for at least having an opinion, in contrast to a lot of sports journalism that is a lot more cautious.

On a side note, I will say that in the earlier days of the Internet, I wrote Todd an email in response to an article he wrote, and he actually took the time to write back. He even gave me a little behind the scenes info. He was a very courteous fellow and also an intelligent one.

Just for the sake of balance, haha.

• Habfan17 says:

I also respect that Todd does not sugar coat anything and takes shots at the Ghost and the old teflon man himself, Ronald Corey! He is the one that should be blamed for most of the mess the Habs have been for the last 20 years!

Todd may not be a “hockey” guy, but he does make some great points and he will call out whoever he feels is responsible when things go wrong. Not like the guys on TSN! Heaven forbid they tell it like it is. I thought that was what true reporters were supposed to do.

Habfan17

I don’t deny TSN personalities virtually never go on a limb with anything (unless it is Aaron Ward) but lets not forget Jack Todd is never ever held accountabe for his opinions.

Entertaining? Yah sometimes, Correct? Once in awhile.

But he is no hockey writer. He knows how to start fires, how to fan the flames, but rarely extinguishes.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Bill, I thought I was the only one. I don’t get the vitriolic dislike for him and his work. He’s opinionated, and usually bang on most subjects, although I admit his political views mostly line up with mine, so that helps.

I thought I must have missed a terrible transgression at some point back in time. Like, I understand why Kyle MacLaren is a repellent thug, because I saw him take out Richard Zednik, but I wasn’t watching a lot of hockey when Colby Armstrong assaulted Saku (if I understand correctly), so I’m foggy on the hate there.

Same goes for Jack Todd, maybe I missed an inflammatory column he wrote in the nineties, or a controversial stance he took a few years back, but I remember enjoying his columns way back in the day, and I still do now.

Why is it when someone doesn’t “like” or “enjoy” it is viewed as hate? I dont care much for Todd for a variety of reasons, but it isn’t hate. I’ll save that for the Bruins and Ravens.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought I was careful to use the words “vitriolic dislike”, as pertains to Mr. Todd…

As far as Colby Armstrong, I did see that word being used, as well as ‘no respect’ and so on.

Sorry Normand, not neccessarily directed at you, my mistake. Saw your comment “so i’m foggy on the hate there”.

I just don’t care much for him.

• Mr. Biter says:

Patriots are way worse than Ravens.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

Ravens:

1) Stolen from the good people of Cleveland by the so-so people of Baltimore who had cried blue murder when their Colts were stolen from them. Somehow it was okay for them to steal the Browns. The whole franchise is tainted, by that little weasel Art Modell, and its original sin.

2) They employ an unconvicted double murderer in Ray Lewis, an abhorrent thug who the NFL tried to repackage as a spiritual fiery leader. I was astounded that no one seemed to remember what a felon this guy was, how he was selling us soap and beer now. I’m glad the Super Bowl shined the spotlight on his great crimes again.

I will never watch ESPN when he is on.

Oh, and his charitable Ray Lewis Foundation has questionable financial records, and he never contributed a dime.

So to recap, no, the Ravens are worse than the Patriots.

• Mr. Biter says:

Did not know about Ray Lewis. More judging Pats from filmimg of other teams practises, BB refuseing to congradulate when the lost in the AFC final and a few other infractions but it definatly does tarnish their win. Thanks for the info.
            But, how you can really blame anyone for leaving Cleveland.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Un Canadien errant says:

The fact that you are unaware of Ray Lewis’ history shows what a snow-job sports ‘journalism’ really is. As if any article about him shouldn’t lead with the fact that he was as guilty as O.J., but got away by lying and bribery. The victims’ blood was found in his limousine, somehow the clothes he was wearing that night disappeared, and the knives he’d bought a couple days earlier were “lost” and never found.

Sure, the Patriots cheated to get their Super Bowls, but Bill Belichick never murdered anyone.

• Clay says:

__________________________

• boing007 says:

I agree with everything that you said about Jack Todd. He replied to me when I sent him a comment about Tiger Woods conversion to Buddhism ruining his golf game. There, that should balance things a bit more.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

63. Habhopeful says:

Here’s my fantasy GM thought for the day, play with me here. Since Ryan O’reilly is the news of the day, here’s what I would entertain as MB and really weigh the pro’s & cons of this decision;

Colorado’s offer: 2 yr/$3.5M

RFA Offer Sheet Ryan O’reilly: Maximum Salary $3,364,391 / 2 Year (Maybe gamble with 3 Year)

Compensation: 2nd Round Pick.

I wish GM’s would use this more often. It’s an extremely vulnerable
    situation with Colorado and if you read this tidbit tweeted by Adrian Dater, Avalanche Insider;

With an offer sheet, COL wont be able to trade him for a year, which, who knows with their management, may be willing to sit him for an entire year but that would be sending a horrible message to the team, their fans, other GM’s, what have you.

The hope is Colorado doesn’t match, odd’s are, they may not due to the poisoned relationship, and a 2nd round pick, out of 3 that we have is 99% worth it.

29 teams would be interested in ROR & with the way Colorado Management seems to be running things in Denver, they may not last much longer, so if a bridge becomes burnt, than whenever Greg Sherman gets fired, the hope would be a new bridge becomes built.

Speaking of offer sheet, which I just seen;

Honestly, I dont know much about ROR, but obviously he’s a legit piece to add to a team, but I also hope some HIO residents can fill us in on what ROR brings to a team.

Edit: Thought the offer sheer article was posted today, sorry

64. Sportfan says:

Lol you guys remember a few years back all the Marleau rumors? Saying we’d give Plek etc etc

65. Twillingater says:

That’s my boy “Carey Price”

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just read Jack Todd’s ‘Habs Have To Get Bigger and Tougher’ column

…I love these Johnny-Come-Lately journalists …sounds like he has cribbed 80 % of the Commentariat’s posts on HIO over the past few years

…AND …He gets paid for it !!! …and, We shmucks keep feeding him/them his material for just the satisfaction of seeing Our words in the public domain …in udder woids …FREE !!! …ZIPPO !!! …NADA !!!

…MAN THE BARRICADES Commentarians !!! …listen carefully, the revolution is coming !!! :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Send Jack Todd to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PK !!!

• mrhabby says:

And Todd is completely right…..Habs face these teams 6 times every year..solutions need to be found.

• the Octopus says:

I’ve said it before: trade Cole to Carolina for Semin, then immediately flip Semin to St. Louis for Chris Stewart.

Pick Matt Kassian up off waivers.

Trade Weber to Edmonton for Pekham OR trade Kaberle and Weber to WSH for John Erskine.

Draft Nikita Zadarov (a freakishly huge Russian blueliner), or Adam Erne (the next Dustin Brown), or Kerby Richel (a Claude Lemieux type player).

Blast “Ride the Lightning” by Metallica before every game, and hang a punching bag in the dressing room.

that is all.

• mrhabby says:

I suspect if Jack Todd’s columns were chronologically arranged and re-read one would find he has no defined position, but rather he could indeed tell us which way the wind blew that day.

Once in awhile the wind blows for more than one day thus making him look correct.

• mrhabby says:

I don’t normally agree with Todd but fact is he is bang on with this one.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Gerald, since I was a very young boy I voraciously read all the great and not so great chroniclers, first thing in My mornings, and often before I slept, especially of The Gazette and The Star since the 1950s …I never ever imagined I could one day provide a thought or an opinion in the public domain on My Habs

…now, in My end-dayz, it has been a pleasant release and entertaining substance to be part of a community of wonderful fellow Fans I never previously knew existed having Our fun and serious discussions of the Team that became part of My identity so many years ago

…I joke, but the Mike Boones, the Dave Stubbs, The Pat Hickeys, and even the Jack Todds are part of My Community too

I don’t disagree with Todd in his recent article, but seems to me it wasn’t long ago he was preaching the opposite message is all. I also do agree the NHL has shown they won’t play any role in reducing gladiator hockey.

I must admit, Jack Todd has already written two articles this year I agree with, I don’t think there were two all last season… but maybe if I hadn’t stopped reading him last year my answer would be different.

Edit: As a kid growing up in Winnipeg whose favourite team was the Habs, I too drank in every article I could about the Habs. The Hockey News and Sports Illustrated were my bibles growing up, just don’t tell my Mom (though I think she knows :) )

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…The Star and The Gazette were used to camouflage My Playboys from My Mom, bless Her loving heart, as well …very useful for ‘a growing Boy’ ;)

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think he is delivering a differnet message. I don’t think he was implying that the Habs sign another Georges Laraque that was useless except to fight, oh yeah, he was useless at that once he signed in Montreal. He became the Dalhi Lhama.

The players he mentioned also played hockey. I wish they could find a John Ferguson clone!

You have to hand it to Todd he has brass ones, he was barred for telling it like it is by Corey!

Habfan17

• Mr. Biter says:

HiB, correct about Todd. Couple of years ago he was all for not getting an enforcer or toughening the team. He goes with the wind, has no set opinion on anything. He is so full of crap.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• boing007 says:

I guess we don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Reading Jack Todd will do the trick.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• boing007 says:

Johnny-Come-Lately? Jack Todd’s been a professional journalist and book writer for over forty years.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Michael- Hey Sidney step into my office. Crosby I want you to play a larger checking roll.

Sid- drives home to Mario’s, tells Mario that he is now a 1st line checker.

Next day

Mario- Hey Therrien step into my office.

Four months later the Pens win the cup under Danny B.

LET’S PACK THE HOUSE
      Be A Pro Fundraiser Feb 24th (see web site for details)
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Mr. Biter says:

Unfortunatly we don’t have a Sid yet. Right now the only person who could go to MB and bitch about MT and prehaps get him fired is Price. No one else has the clout to do it except him. I also don’t think we would see a Roy senario either. If PK went in he’d be beating a quick exit from MB’s office and be joining White in the Press Box.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

67. HabFab says:

Realignment coming to you, are we prepared?

EDIT; so maybe the Florida teams switch with Detroit and Columbus.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The geographic distribution of the NHL’s teams and the fact that the total number of teams is not a multiple of four makes it impossible to divide the league into four divisions without making a lot of really stupid decisions.

Edit: Also, hard bracket playoffs within these four “conferences” (gag) leading to an NHL “final four” (gag) has the potential to set up some real stinker series in the last two rounds of the playoffs.

• HabFab says:

JSportsnet ; Keys to realignment will be 4 Divisions…and playing home and home with every team in the league with playoffs inside division first.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I hate when We have to play the Phoenixs, the Stars, Kings, Minnesota Gophers, and/or even the Canucks

…I wish We can keep a schedule similar to what We have this shortened season …more more games against teams from Chicago/Detroit east …more games with the Bestials from Boston and Weeds from Turdronto

…I have no interest to see the Prairie Dogs, the Starz, the Canucks, and the Gophers from Minny, etc., until the playoffs

68. commandant says:

6 Players you should look at on your fantasy waiver wire by Max V

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Hopefully PK won’t be pulling a race card, however, I am 100% sure that some of the criticism towards him IS racially motivated.

70. H.Upmann says:

Again a great piece from Stubbs.

• Timo says:

Nothing will top a series of articles about how good of a guy Scotty Gomez is.

• punkster says:

Was.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

We have a resuscitated poster who’s back after a couple months absence, all yappy and declarative on every subject except this very one. Strange.

• habsfan0 says:

Wait till he comments on the state of the San Diego Chargers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He wouldn’t get a word in edgewise. I’ve got some pent-up emotions and a few opinions on the subject.

I lie awake and wonder how different things would be if we’d fired Norv Turner years ago, when it was obviously obvious he was obviously overmatched in that position. Imagine if we’d hired Jim Harbaugh, or even Marc Trestman, when we had the chance.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…were You in prison Normand ?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just not finding as much time to visit here at HIO. You turn around for a couple of hours and BLAMMO! Two new threads and 800 comments to sift through. Sure, you skip over the one-trick ponies, but still, it’s daunting.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…speaking for Myself Normand, I missed Your sometimes tour de force comments …glad You’re back

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks man. I’ve been around, just not omnipresent. I try to hang out at ‘About Last Night’, but it varies.

Timo won’t be present correct?

72. CanadienBoy says:

No purse snatchers please

73. the Octopus says:

FLLORRRIIIDAAAAAAAA

Sarasota on the gulf side is quite awesome, as is the Tampa area

The lockout was very good for Crosby and Toews, two players with some concussion issues last year and previous. They would have never been given that extra time off.

75. Sportfan says:

Yeah Sid the Kid is playing great I think it was TSN who said he wasn’t as good anymore -_- they need to shut up and let players play or in PK Subbans place sign and play

76. the Octopus says:

I was actually near St. Petes, so not really Tampa, you just gotta stay away from places where you know trouble is present.

Ever been to Sannabel Island?, really sleepy, peaceful, absolutely gorgeous place. The Sea shells are freakin legendary.

New Smyrna Beach I’ve heard is pretty good but I’ve never been.

77. boing007 says:

I’d buy him a drink if he did.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

78. Mattyleg says:

Aww man, that was soul-destroying.
    He was playing so well for us too…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

79. Danno says:

Joke of Shanana disciplinary committee won’t do anything

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

80. Bill says:

Shamahan will do whatever he’s told.

Full Breezer 4 Life

81. Danno says:

The verdict will be Papa Ooo Mow Mow

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

82. Bill says:

I will have to check my vitals, but I am pretty sure my brain is still functioning. I just don’t have believe anyone would deliberately cut another player’s Achilles. Not even Cooke.

Full Breezer 4 Life

83. Mattyleg says:

(or actually be able to)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. chanchilla says:

i hate the guy, but i agree, he was going into the boards and he brought his foot down after trying to pin up karlsson. its bad luck, i feel bad for the sens and worse for karlsson, that’s a terrible injury that could result in him never being the player he once was.

85. Bill says:

True, that would be some serious Kung Fu.

Full Breezer 4 Life

86. Lix says:

Please tell me you’re joking. From his 12 NHL games (11 as an 18 year old) you’re ready to proclaim he’s not as good as Grigorenko and may never be a scorer?

Good lord why does the Leaf fan mentality seem to be creeping in more and more here?

87. SmartDog says:

WTF? You’re joking right? Are you watching the games? He hasn’t been lucky in terms of the puck going to the net but he’s never lost. He makes great plays, he’s been robbed a few times and has set up a handful of goals. He’s also one of the +/- leaders on the team, is getting time on the PP. Who’s better – White? Blunden? LOL

Compare him to when Patches was first brought up… there’s no comparison – Gal is better, has better moves, better composure. And Patches turned out ok.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

88. Habfan17 says:

Please go back and look at Stamkos’s first year before making these comments. Don’t forget too that Gally didn’t play last season.

Habfan17

When you list Gally as your current favourite player, I am assuming you mean Gallagher since you already dislike Galchenyuk?

90. theox_8 says:

This just made my morning haha, happy day folks.

91. scavanau says:

Think they’ll confiscate his feet?