Go Leafs go! (This is not a typo)

Habs’ playoff express, saving on tire wear.

AUDIO: Jaroslav Spacek

The Canadiens failed to nail down a playoff berth last night on Long Island, falling 4-3 to the postseason-eliminated Islanders. But they can book a date to the dance tonight while they sit in Raleigh, awaiting tomorrow’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes.

Should the New York Rangers lose to the Toronto Maple Leafs at Madison Square Garden tonight, the Rangers having been bombed 5-2 in Buffalo last night, the Habs are in. And John Tortorella’s crew is on an extremely slippery slope toward the postseason, needing at least one point tonight and a weekend sweep of the Philadelphia Flyers to advance.

The Canadiens, meanwhile, remain behind the wheel in their drive to/toward the playoffs. But where they were steering a gas-guzzling luxury sedan a couple of weeks ago, now they’re squeezed into a subcompact. Pat Hickey will check in later today from Raleigh, where the Canadiens have a stiff challenge against the Carolina Hurricanes tomorrow night.

Here’s a capsule look at the still daunting task ahead, from Arpon Basu.

And here are the standings, heading into tonight’s action around the NHL.

1. Jeff says:

You are tilting at a Windmill Mike, it hasn’t moved in almost two decades!

2. mike g says:

This site is about posting opinions. I posted mine, and tried to convince you that using a 3rd line player making just above league minimum doesn’t show great intellignece when trying to clinch a playoff spot…You didn’t agree with me on numerous occasions, so I said I’ll repect your opinion.

That’s it, it’s not about winning a debate with you and your “cool” words. What good does that do for my life?

btw, your website is scrap

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

3. SaskieHabFan says:

Haha Jeff,

Leafs boards not going so well you have to come to this one? Your omelette is missing new ingridients and will be missing them for the next 2 years because you paid for one that looks good but tastes oh so bad for that price. I respect that you stick by your team every year saying that they are going to be so good the next season but, I laugh at the lose lose situation your team is in this year….. lose more games and give an enemy better draft choices or win more games and help your enemy make the playoffs… Thank-you for supporting your team so they continue to excel at sucking every year. Even if the Habs lose 4 straight in the first round of the playoffs, that is still 4 games more than the Leafs and if you add up the last 4 years…. thats like almost 2 months more hockey, as a fan I sure am glad I get a BONUS 2 months the last 4 years instead of the “basic” package that you receive.

4. Jeff says:

I assume that you agree that assuming a contract is the same as signing it. Or worse!

5. B says:

If you go by the numbers, it should be in order: Gionta, A.Kostitsyn and Lapierre. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20102MONSASAll&sort=shootingPctg&viewName=shootouts

6. Say Ash says:

I thought my Leafs comment was sympathetic (or is it empathetic? I always confuse the two). I was just saying that not making the playoffs sucks. The Leafs came to mind. Sue me.

7. Bugs says:

How can you respect what you don’t want spoken, Mikey? You’re a walkin, talkin principium contradictionis, mate.

Now, you’ve admitted to not understanding why Yappy was put in the SO last night. That’s good enough for me as I see where you’re comin from.

Let’s leave it at that.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

8. Jeff says:

How’s the Russian Mafia and the Kos sisters doing?

Schenn is a shutdown defenceman and still learning the NHL.

Gionta oh the little guy who could…..Price WILL be good for another team!

Kadri will burn it up passing to Phil…

Have been to several Leafs vs Habs games, even in Montreal… the Leafs hold the edge in those contests…hee, hee…Not all dummies live in Montreal…

Yah, that was the Flyers, such a smart move…..Clarke is an idiot.

Gotta love the Cup wins outside of Quebec, almost 2 decades & still going weak.

9. Jeff says:

None, but at this point I would like to see a one game showdown with your SMABS for a playoff spot.

They are considering this, Buttman strikes again!

Gee, maybe a 3 game showdown to really kick your a……

Really, hope reigns eternal in all delusional Hab fans.

10. mike g says:

Like I said before Bugs Bunny, if you think Max Lapierre was a good choice for the shootout for some reason, you shouldn’t speak…

I bet you anything you want that no other NHL coach puts out Laps to shoot 1st in such a situation last night, considering the standings and the importance of the extra point.

If you still think JM was right, that’s your opinion and I’ll respect it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

11. TomNickle says:

How did Grabovski do in that bar fight?  Nevermind.

Schenn is AWFUL, Price is very good.

Gionta as scored 26 in half of a season, so…………?

Kadri is not proving himself more than Hall or Seguin.  Typical comment coming from a Leaf fan though.

Muller is nobody’s castoff, perhaps the Leafs haven’t won a cup in 40 years because they don’t keep players like that.

HAHA, you think you’re Canada’s team.  Explain to me then why the Habs have just as much of a following in TORONTO.  You clearly have never been to a Habs v. Leafs game  Jeffrey.

Actually, the Avalanche(formerly Nordiques) won the Cup because of the return they got for that bum and his ingrate mother.

“Dude-Price is done, get over it.”
    “Price is fighting the puck”

12. wmarcello says:

Here’s the order I would want them:

1. Caps – They play a fast-paced game that will keep the Habs playing fast-paced which is when they are best. Defensively suspect and also suspect in goal, the Caps would be very tough but would be definitely beatable.

2. Sabres – They have the least talent of the 4 teams we could face, minus Miller. Miller alone is one reason I wouldn’t want to play them. Reason #2 is Lindy Ruff. He will make the Sabres play a strong defensive game with a strong team ethic, suffocating our Habs and putting them to sleep. Lack of talent is the only thing keeping them at #2 for me.

3. Pens – They also play a fast-paced game that would keep us awake, but the Crosby/Malkin duo scares me more than Ovechkin. Also, as much as I hate to bring the refs into this, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get away with a lot in the first round. Definitely beatable though if Fleury is weak and the team doesn’t show the same hunger to win as last year.

4. NJ – Strong, balanced team. Brodeur almost always comes to play against the Habs. The team has snipers, the team can suffocate you with defense, and Lemaire would be the better coach, no doubt. Coaching is very important when it comes to best of 7, much more so than in the regular season.

13. Jeff says:

Really, only concerned?

Ummm, almost twenty years for a former dynasty that looks like a travesty now.

My omelette is quite tasty and we will enjoy the game vs the SMABS regardless…

See you on the Golf course!  MUAHHHHH!

14. mike g says:

Laps did score a really nice goal last night. But as I mentioned below, lightning strikes every once in a while. All 3rd line players score highlight goals once in theie careers, it’s bound to happen. Does that mean he deserved to have possibly the game/playoff clinching goal on his stick last night? NO…It’s not time to throw a bone at a player because he had a good game. It’s game 80, if it took Laps this long to wake up you don’t go ahead and put him in that situation to “reward” him. That’s just bad, bad coaching.

Cammy was a good choice. Why?, he’s a goalscorer paid $6 million to win you games like that. Same goes for Gionta and Markov. Those should have been your 3 shooters. If it goes to 4, you put AK46. That’s it, that’s all. You win with your best, and you lose with your best.

If the Rangers made it to shootout last night, do they put Brandon Prust as their 1st shooter because he scored a goal on RYAN MILLER? No, they put Gaborik, Jokinen, Callahan, Dubinksky, or some other money players. Not Brandon Prust.

For as stupid as the shootout is, it’s a chance to get an extra point in the standings (one that was HUGE for us yesterday). If you have a PP in overtime, you put out your best players to score on a 4-on-3. You pay those guys the big bucks for that reason. The same logic applies for the shootout. For a team like the Habs fighting for their playoff hopes, you don’t throw a bone in a situation like last night. That stuff is for pre-Christmas hockey, or a 1st place team….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

15. Jeff says:

How yah doing nickel for your thoughts???

Grabovski broke his wrist and still is within 20 goals,  Gomer….hmmmmm.

Schenn is a kid, how’s your kid Price?

Kessel has scored 30 and played half a season!  Where was Savard & the Bruins, oh yah super job!

Kadri is proving himself much better than Hall or Seguin…who’s Kristo or is it Krsipy Kreme?

Muller is a Leaf castoff. Gill too. Moore too….what’s with that former Leafs, now Habs????

Our song is front page news EVERY year because deep down, we’re Canada’s team, HA! HA!

Only 1 team will win the CUP, the Habs will not be the club, now or in the near future, get used to it!

BTW, Lindros knew that going into Quebec would be futile, even the Nordiques pulled out…then WON!

16. Bugs says:

Careful, Brewster, you’re messin with the “truth”, and maybe you just can’t take it.

That seemed to be my problem, anyway.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

17. JoeC says:

Nice to see your not even smart enough to notice its more then JUST him

18. Bugs says:

You have to lose all the time to make an omelette?

But we’re more concerned about winning hockey games over here.

I even heard you guys once did that like 40-some years ago. Reckon you might even fnd colour pictures of that if you research a bit.

Anyway, enjoy your omelette.

And don’t forget to keep losing all the time. You know, like losers? No one does that better than you guys so keep up the fine work.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

19. Smiss says:

And what are the odds of the Leafs actually… ya know… BEING in a series with one of these teams?

20. Jeff says:

Oh really, Pleks at $6 million for some team & Marky at $6 million for another, Price, well he’ll take a cut to get out of Montreal.

Halak, well you just cannot afford this prodigy!

Future…..Lapps, SK, AK, MAB, Gill, Gomer……HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

21. Smiss says:

I never should of wasted time replying to you, I just realized your a Leaf’s fan.

Funny you like to bash our team so much, yet you guys have no clue what the expression “first round” actually means – that goes for the playoffs, and the draft!

22. punkster says:

Tough call Rob but a very good question. I agree with you on this. Pens.

23. TomNickle says:

The Leafs have more than two full lines worth of players that can’t make an NHL roster.  Your #2 centre Grabasski,  got shipped out of here because he is terrible and still couldn’t crack our lineup.

Oh, and by the way.  I would rather have Subban than Schenn, I would rather have Kristo than Kadri, I would rather have Price, Halak, Desjardins, Simila and Missiaen than THE MONSTER(haha) and I would much rather have Kirk Muller on my bench than Keith Acton.

The Leafs are a bottom feeding organization and this won’t change.  The song is the same every year.  Well, the kids played well in the last 20 games.  We’re gonna be a force to be reckoned with next year.  Next year comes, and you’re trading away your lottery pick.  Wait, you got Phil Kessel though.  Now if you could only find somebody to pass the puck to him you would have two thirds of a decent NHL line.

Brian Burke is too classy for the Leafs organization, they need somebody like Brian Lawton or Bonnie Lindros to run that team.

“Dude-Price is done, get over it.”
    “Price is fighting the puck” – adam76

24. punkster says:

I’m astounded by the comments below referencing Laps as a choice in the SO to either please “the Quebecoise crowd” or as some suggest, because he is French. This is nothing more than manufactured controversy created and fed by those posters here who either love to stir up sh-t or simply know very little about hockey. Laps scored a beautiful, highlight reel breakaway goal. Chances are that had to get in Biron’s head and maybe, just maybe, the coaches felt that was enough to give Laps a shot. Maybe they were wrong, just as they were wrong to use Cammy who is not French and has not scored since his injury. The mind boggles at the lack of reasoning people use here.

PS…I am hardly a Laps supporter and have repeatedly suggested his value the team this year has been almost nil. And I’m not French. And I’m older than most of you. And I’m normally a nice guy.

25. iluvthisgame says:

I too cannot cheer for a Leafs win, so I’m choosing to cheer for a Rangers loss. :)

26. Jeff says:

How’s your ulcers doing?

Stock up on the meds boys, it’s going to be painful!

27. Smiss says:

No need to tell me about stats, I’m an actuary… I probably have more knowledge of statistics than 99.9% of the people on this forum. (sorry for the lack of modesty)

So let’s say we split up the team’s recent performance into 3 sections since the Olympic break :

1) They went something like 7-1-1 after the Olympics

2) Then they went on to lose five of six like you mentioned.

3) They are 2-0-1 in the last 3 games.

So what you’re telling me, is given this whole sample of games the only part of it which you choose to focus on is section 2) and this is representative of how the Habs will do in the future? You’re the glass half-empty kind of guy aren’t you?

28. Jeff says:

You’ve got to break a few eggs to make an omelette!

We’ve got the recipe & the ingredients, the Habs don’t have a kitchen, a cook or a chef ….plus LOSER ingredients.

How’s your Habs cooking lately, do you see a bright future…..like LOSING 4 straight.

29. Habscore says:

Hehe.. just heard a Home Depot pub on CKAC.
    “Ici Carey Price, je vais toujours chez Home Depot”

30. sholi2000.com says:

Hey Ian Cobb

I heard your points on CJAD last night.  I know exactly what you are getting at.

When your team in down and not showing up, then it’s time for the old Dick Irvin to show up.  There are a few great speeches on the movie the Rocket.

However in this day and age you may hurt someone’s feelings.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that when ever the Kostitsyns get picked on they shut down.  That’s just one example.

But in all reality, the last few games the boys should have been ripped new ones after each second period….they just don’t get it.  60 minutes means both ways.

They call me Shane

31. Say Ash says:

Indeed, the letter comes from template. Just change the date, press print and you’re done.

32. Jeff says:

Hey Dog, have you taken your meds today?

You cannot be serious!  It will be short & sweet, get used to it!

Habs winning a series against ANY of these teams…..UNLIKELY!

33. Smiss says:

Yes, but 8 of those 16 teams will make the second round…. which is where the 8/30 comes from.

34. G-Man says:

My dim hope trumps your no hope at all. 43 years and counting….Hahahahahahahhaha! Komisarek at $4.5 mil? Hahahahahha! Giguere at $6mil? Hahahahhahahha!

35. habs001 says:

hey jeff you have a big day coming up on monday…get your scissors out to add to your yearly collection…on monday mlse will be publishing their yearly apology letter in the newspaper…you know the one that says we apologize to the fans for our performance…and missing the playoffs again…but promising that we will do better next year…i have seen this letter year after year….and in a couple of months they will announce ticket prices going up..the leaf lemmings will be happy till december when they are 12 points out of the playoffs…

36. Jeff says:

Just keep your dim hopes alive despite the illusion of a contending team.

How futile it must be to realize the Habs have zero chance at a Cup again?

As stated before, the Leafs are much closer to a Cup than the Habs, the only cup you guys have is the protective kind…Ha! Ha!

How’s your youth movement going?

Oh, it’s a laxative movement that will deliver serious crap for a long time.

37. Say Ash says:

Nope. Biron in the other orange pads.

38. Smiss says:

Yeah, that was a typo. I was thinking about the 3rd round as I was writing it.

39. light_n_tasty says:

Well, it should say “Yes”.

40. adam76 says:

For those folks planning to watch the game on TSN tomorrow.

41. light_n_tasty says:

It’s nice to see Gomez is stepping it up and really earning his paycheck in these past few crucial games.  Worth every penny!

42. TheDagger says:

Biron… still thinking about last night?  But Miller Time will be worse.  But I agree, all teams are beatable by the Habs, especially in a 7-game series.

“A month before the season I stop putting ketchup on my french fries.” -Mario Lemieux on his off-season training.

43. Bugs says:

Can you imagine being like leafers? Losing all the time? Always losing. Like losers. All the time.

And calling it success?

Could you IMAGINE?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

44. SmartDog says:

With the Ranger loss, it would take a highly unlikely combination of events for us to miss the playoffos (us not picking up a single point AND the Rangers picking up all their possible points – in 3 games – AND the Flyers and Bruins both picking up a couple of more points).

Because it’s the same at the top as the bottom of the standings (except for the Caps) – crowded – we won’t know where we’re going to sit or who we’re going to meet until it’s all over.  So who would you like it to be?

Here’s the order I WOULD WANT THEM:

1. Pens  (obvious stenghts, but obvious weakenesses too. Fleury for one.)

2. Devils  (always tough against Marty… but it would be a great series with Gomer and Gio trying to crush their former team and I think we could crack their will with a good win in an early game)

3. Caps  (very tough but beatable if you shut down their big guns
    which we have done)

4. Sabres  (this is a team we CAN and SHOULD beat… but Biron… oh Biron)

Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

45. Bob Barker says:

Both Sports Club Stats and Hockey Reference have the Habs chances of the playoffs at greater than 99%.

99.6 (SCS) 99.2 (HR

46. Jeff says:

Chicago too, last time was 1961!  Yup, the Hawks are closer to a Cup than the Habs too….

The dynasties of old are buried deep in the past and will remain as such.

Look forward Hab fans, look forward….oh yah the future looks dim for the Habs.

Old, slow, small, no leader, no Cap room, no GM, no coach, whaoo we’re in the playoffs!!!!

What, are we out so fast & gotta play Golf with the Leafs, c’est pas vrai, non , non, non….

47. Kooch7800 says:

If we are relying on Kostitsyn to score we are in trouble.  He had one good month and has really struggled this year.  He has so much talent but it only ever comes out in small spurts

48. Storm Man says:

Yes today is a very good day would have been better if the Habs won

49. Say Ash says:

Call me a sucker but I don’t care how the Habs make the playoffs as long as we’re there. You don’t win the Cup without being invited to the dance, and we’ve been getting a lot of invites of late, which I consider a success. Playoff hockey just isn’t the same without that Bleu Blanc et Rouge jersey flying around the ice, you know it, I know it.

I can’t imagine being a Leafs fan, not even getting a whiff of the post season since 2004. I’m never so upset as I am the day my team gets knocked out and I’m sure as hell not gonna see that happen this Saturday! If it’s next Saturday, so be it. But at least I get four more games to scream at the team that I love so dearly!

And enough of this Halak/Price bullcrap. You know why they let in goals? It’s because the puck wasn’t in the other end of the rink.

50. mike g says:

The shootout statistics are so flawed it’s not even normal…

You could be the 12th shooter, and score because the goalie is tired. You could shoot 1st and score because you catch the goalie off guard. It could hit the post and bounce in, wtv the case may be…Nobody is guaranteed to score, not even Crosby. You can have the goaler down and out and miss the net.

Look at Cammy, he always dekes the goalie and either hits the post or misses an open top corner…I’d still choose him over Max. Gionta over Max anyday. AK46 over Max, same for Markov.

I understand what your saying with the percentages, but statistics don’t always tell the truth. Statistics say our powerplay is #2 in the league and lights out. Yet, we know ourselves it’s been about as scary as a 1912 comedy for the past 2 months.

At this point in the year you throw away those stats. You pay guys $5 million to win you games like last night. Don’t go out there and lose with a 3rd line player who has 7 goals and has played like a donkey all year…

That’s my POV

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Phaneuf isn’t Doughty, Bozak isn’t Toews, Kessel isn’t Ovechkin and top prospect Kadri is not Crosby.

Leafs can call themselves a youth movement team but considering all the top teams who are young, they’re not even on the same level.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Shublips says:

Habs offense needs to get going and, in particular, Cammalleri and Kostitsyn.  If those two can find the net over the next two games and beginning of playoffs, AND the 4/3th lines keep scoring, this could become a lethal team, a la the 6-game winning streak.

Here is what Habs Addict.com has to say about it:

53. Bugs says:

So for the record: Mikey doesn’t see why Lapierre was in the SO last night.

Thank you; that is all.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

54. G-Man says:

Yeah, all over 30 D men. Some youth movement. Burke was misunderstood earlier this season. He said “suckulent” not truculent.

55. Bugs says:

I wish I coulda foreseen that answer so I coulda changed my avatar to a fat hairy butt by the time you posted.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

56. mike g says:

BTW, once again I never said that was 100% the reason. I said it COULD be a reason why. Don’t lie, you know it and I know it, language issues are always present with the Habs…

I said I think the reason is because he scored a goal in the game and played well. But who the FUUKK cares?!!! If Hal Gill scored last night and had 25 hits, do you put him in the shootout?! NOOOOO…

WTF has your lover Lapierre done to deserve that chance last night? A breakaway goal on Biron?! OH congratulations, he scored his 7th of the year. Lightning strikes every once in a while, and that’s what happened with Max last night. He had his little flare for one shift, that’s it…

In game 80 of a season, you win with your best and lose with your best. That’s how you coach to win. That’s why you pay some guys 5 million$ and some 500,000$….And JM didn’t do that last night….

Again, you amaze me with your inferior lack of knowledge, defending Max Lapierre for a shootout attempt in game 80 of a season, with a chance to clinch a playoff spot….

I’m the one laughing at you, Bugs Bunny..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

57. Bugs says:

Interesting point on the character bit.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

58. Jeff says:

Don’t worry be happy! The Leafs will allow the Habs to back into the playoffs but they will certainly display the  youth movement of the Buds.

It would be nice to put the Habs out of their collective misery like a couple of years ago but alas not this time!

Habs going foward…..you are kidding me right????.,.right??..Ha! Ha!

59. Jordio-oh says:

first of all, i thought your post was excellent.

however, we’ve made it to the 2nd round 4 times in the last 15 years, not the third round.

we haven’t seen the third round of the playoffs since 1993.

I’m assuming its a typo though.

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Yes but Schadenfreude is such an ugly emotion.

61. Bugs says:

If you wanna chuck yourself into the pit, Timo, that’s your business, but my strikes’ve always been precise, not collateral damaging.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

62. adam76 says:

Stay classy, Leafs.

63. Kooch7800 says:

As bad as this sounds I would rather the Rangers win and Montreal be forced to pull out a win in Carolina tomorrow. I think it would be better for character if they earned it a little more.  They have had to many games where we have given away points the last couple weeks.  I would rather see the Rangers in over Philly.  I dislike Chris Pronger so much it hurts.

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Mike, I’ll take a 4th liner who’s 50% in his career SOs over a 1st line guy who hangs in at 12% anytime. SO’s aren’t always about the best players on the team, just about the guy who has the best trick. Coaching to win is using the guys with the best record for the SO and Gomez, Pleks shouldn’t be allowed to do SOs unless they’re ripping open Vesa Toskala.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. Bugs says:

Do you like anything, Timo? Any team? Anything?

Doesn’t nuthin ever suit you?

Debbie Downer and a half, mate.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

66. sillywalk says:

About your second fact; yes, it’s a 30-team league, but 16 teams go to the playoffs, not 8.

67. Dave Stubbs says:

Timo’s in a good mood. The Earth is off its axis.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

68. Jeff says:

Give your head a good shake!

The Leafs are a Canadian team that are at this point much better than the sad sack Habs backing into the playoffs.

See you soon on the Golf course!

69. Bugs says:

Ah, yes! The “truth” again! I love it.

Funny how the “truth” always seems to show up when someone who doesn’t have a leg to stand on needs validation.

The unverifiable, unreliable, heavily-biased, preposterous “truth”.

Jack Marty put Yappy in the SO cuz he’s French. Yes.

Again, you amaze me with your “truth”-uttering skills, Simpleton Jack.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

70. adam76 says:

Great post!  5 star.

71. Jordio-oh says:

hahah, nice.

72. habs03 says:

First yes I agree that it should be about trying to win the cup and not just making the playoffs. But its not easy as it was before, almost every team can win any game now, and btw the Habs have made it past the 1st round more than “ONCE” in the past 17 years, 3 times this decade, not something to be proud off but still a fact.

73. adam76 says:

If Halak was given 10 more starts – we would be in 4th place with home ice advantage.

The nucleus of this team, has potential for next season.  Add a PK Saban, a bona fied on and off ice leader and start Halak 80% of the time, and I like this teams future.

Tweaking – not retooling is the way to go.

JM does need to adjust his style.  The go into a defensive shell with a goal lead may have workedin the mid 90’s, but not now.  If he doesn’t see that – let Captain Kirk take over.

74. The Big O says:

The leafs are already looking forward to knocking the habs out…. so they better win in Carolina!!  The definitely like to do things the hard way!

“With nothing to play for down the stretch, once again, many hopes in this region have centered on the hollow ambition of trying to ruin Montreal’s playoff chances. In fact, Leafs’ coach Ron Wilson talked openly yesterday about his desire to do exactly that in the club’s final game, Saturday, at the Bell Centre.”

75. Caballero says:

I share your feelings in a way. Not crazy about JM, but he is an experienced coach. Thing is, he is not a playoff coach based on his record, and this team is certainly not a playoff team.That is what is worrying me here. I think what you are saying ultimately is that you want the Habs to be a team that can contend for the cup, and clearly we aren’t right now. The D is old and slow, the offence is tiny, and the goaltenders need a few more years too. On a lighter note, look at some of these other teams. Look at Toronto. They haven’t won a cup in how long? Probably since before most of us were born. What is making me angry is that I believe Toronto right now is closer to a cup than Montreal. Burke has a vision, a plan and the courage to make big changes.