GM Bergevin to hold press conference on Monday

The Canadiens announced on Friday that the players will clear out their lockers in Brossard on Saturday and be made available to the media after 1 p.m., while general manager Marc Bergevin will hold his post-mortem press conference at noon Monday in Brossard.

The Canadiens saw their season come to an end with Thursday night’s 6-1 loss to the Ottawa Senators in Game 5 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Senators eliminate Canadiens in Game 5, by Pat Hickey

A silver lining to this dark cloud, by Dave Stubbs

Look to the future, Plekanec says, by Pat Hickey

Senators win series 4-1, NHL.com

Game 5 photo gallery

Aislin cartoon on end of Habs season

Senators crush Canadiens to advance, by Ottawa Citizen

Who’s up for another round, by Ottawa Citizen

Another year without a Cup for Habs fans, by Stu Cowan

Catching up with some former Habs, by Stu Cowan

1. nihilz says:

I hope MB does:

– Takes next season to gauge Price.
    – Overpays for Clarkson/Clowe, Bickell & Fistric. *Crosses fingers.
    – Trades Gionta, Markov & Moen. And, either Weber or Diaz.
    – Lets Ryder, Blunden & Noke walk.
    – Re-up’s: UFAs Armstrong, Halpern & Drewiskie. RFAs Tokarski, White & Dumont.
    – Gets rid of DD and signs PMBouchard or Derek Roy in the same exact moment and.. …. hooope nooone noootices!
    – Mmm.. Kicks Lombardi’s tires.
    – Considers Handzus as depth center if player archetype is not filled via trades. Which should be a priority. A la Bonk. Antropov if he must.
    – aaaand.. hits The Main with Ribiero for a night to pick his brain and test his character.. hehe

2. fastfreddy says:

Question for all to ponder; If MB does nothing to change the team,ie; practically the same team returns next season, how do we fare?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Frank2468 says:

It will be the same result maybe worse cause now they are playing 82 games and teams from west coast. Probably don’t make the playoffs at all next year with the same lineup. But not making the playoffs with the same lineup is better then being B slapped and embarrassed anyway.

3. makka83 says:

The way I look at the Price debate is this:
    Price is a good goalie, but he does have some lapses of concentration at critical times. So it’s hard to to stomach that contract of his. However, he has the hardest job in hockey and is paid accordingly. Just like surgeons, who have more responsibility and more risk than a normal doctor get paid more. So his money is justified based on that.

The problem is, he never had Dmen that clear his crease. So he always has to be near perfect to win games. I am not sure about you, but in my work, when people are not pulling their weight, it affects everyone else. I need to give feedback to our manager and let them know. But what is Price going to do? Go to MB/Therrien and tell them “Get me a 2 big Dmen that can protect me!”. Maybe that’s what he should do.

Price is at fault for his performance but to be fair, he was never given the chance to succeed in the NHL. Brought up too early, twice let his mentors leave (Huet and Auld). He has no physical Dman to protect him. A lot of times, he’s left out to dry when he played well. His rebounds seem to always end up in the other team’s sticks. etc…

And so, I am looking forward to see what Price can do in the future when he enters his prime and MB gets some better Dman to help him out. Goalies are never lights out for many seasons in a row.

The Price haters accuse the Pricebots of holding Price to a higher regards than he deserves BUT the reality is, they are the ones comparing him to Roy and Brodeur. These guys are once in a generation… Price isn’t that. He’s a goalie who can win with some help. So far, he has been getting virtually non from this undersized team. He still should be criticized, but let’s be honest here, in the last 5years, Price kept the team in games at least 75% of the time and maybe cost them games 5% of the time.

In the playoffs, when the team undersized players get smacked around, he plays worse, which is expected when your entire team folds. We saw how even Halak at his best couldn’t do it for more than 2 series. Even Theo at his best, couldn’t win more than 1 series at a time. Roy? Well not that Price is anything like him, but he had some great defenders (Dejardins, Chelios etc…)… Any one on the Habs remind you for those guys? Maybe PK…

I have faith in Price. I have no faith in small players anymore. Get them out of here. I care about the Habs, so if trading Price will help us, let’s do it. Regardless, NO GOALIE will ever win anything with these small guys…

• HardHabits says:

This post bears the HH stamp of approval.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Excellent post.

And I would say that against the Bruins in the 2010-2011 playoffs he was pretty darn good (ignore those who blame him for OT goals even though the Bruins were inches away from defeat, and were saved by players not named Tim Thomas).

I think the key issue with the Dmen on the Habs is they give the opposition so much time and space to do whatever they want in the D zone.

You know those softies Price lets in from near the circle? Some of them are bad goals to let in… but they’re also exactly the type of goals that Pacioretty should be scoring and Cole has been scoring throughout his career: they’re tough to get a proper angle on. The Habs D doesn’t close in on anyone fast enough so the opposition has all the time in the world to place a perfect shot.

• sheds88 says:

posted same thought then read your post
      +31

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I have less faith in CP than you. But I agree with the thrust of this.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

4. C-Sword says:

Hail to the Kings!

Halak would’ve stopped that Penner’s shot, just saying.

5. fastfreddy says:

Because our season is over, we can now speculate for the future. Here are some thoughts for the off season leading into next season. Bergevin calls MacTavish in Edmonton and offers him Price, Gorges, and one of our 2nd round picks for Taylor Hall,or,Nail Yakupov. Thoughts………..

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Steven says:

I personally wouldn’t. No matter what people say of Price, he’s a good goalie. Even if you want to argue that, and you trade him away, who replaces him? We have no one in the system that’s at least ready. If/when we do, then we can explore that path, I think.

• fastfreddy says:

If you have some decent D MEN you don’t need a great goalie. Look at Ottawa’s goalie. His D cleared the front of the net for him all the time.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Steven says:

I wouldn’t demerit Anderson in that way. He’s actually a very good goalie in his own right, behind a great defense or otherwise.

Though I agree with the notion of good defenses making goalies look better, you still need a serviceable goalie. I don’t think Budaj is that guy and our next best goalie is Tokarski. For now you have to keep Price, I think.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Anderson would have won the Vezina if he hadn’t got injured

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• sirs81 says:

not sure what you are smoking…

• Frank2468 says:

Prices is ok give him another chance. The team is to small on D and up front. What do you expect with guys up front like David Tombre, Pleks I play like a little girl and Moen just like the faucet turn one way its hot and the other way its cold, but since his contract has played like a faucet that is not connect to any hot water tank. Patch gets a pass bad shoulder.
        Forwards to say bye bye to if its possible
        Ryder
        D.D
        Moen
        Armstrong
        Pleks maybe, but is a second line center at best maybe 3rd

On D keep

Tinordi
        Emilin
        P.K
        Georges is the smallest of the bunch but has heart

The rest take a powder

• habs_54321 says:

for hall, yak or eberle id say go for it however i think edmonton is comfortable in goal with dubnyk (6’5 .920%) maybe the islanders nabakov is old but IMO i think we should keep price at least another year i like the way he battled this series despite the terrible game 1 and 3

6. Frank2468 says:

Wow the Bruins couldn’t close it out tonight!! I actually cheered when Chara scored, and was hoping for the tie in the last couple of mins but no luck. Game 6 in T.O Sunday Bruins better close it out at the ACC. I really can’t stand the idea of the Leafs getting to round 2. It would just make me toss my cookies. Seeing all those idiots tonight jumping around Maple Leaf Square was sickening to watch firing off blue and white ticker tape. Going to have to deal with crap like were still alive how are the Habs doing and so on and so on. It sucks being a Hab fan outside of Montreal and right in the middle of enemy territory. And any Hab fan that lives in T.O understands what I mean been putting up with it now since 1993. I’m guessing be a Habs fan in Ottawa right is no better, but Leaf fans can be very cocky and arrogant and obnoxious when winning and in a good mood. I prefer a subdued and humbled Leaf fan much better makes it feel like the universe is in alignment. I never thought I would be saying this but “LETS’S GO BRUINS”

• The Jackal says:

Lol. The leafs are such huge losers that they fire off the blue and white confetti after winning 1 game…. what losers!

The Bruins will close em out, don’t sweat it.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

You like throwing the word ‘loser’ around…it makes me wonder how old you are?
        The sad fact is, those ‘losers’ are still playing, while our team isn’t.
        __________________________
        ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Frank2468 says:

Jackal you should see Kadri and Kullmen and Grabs taking shots at the Bruins, and there letting them do it to!!!????? Wow I want to see Lucic just paste Kadri up against the boards and the Carlye and his cronies would need a spatula to scrap on off the half wall. It was funny to see Grabs trying to scare one of the Bruins tonight. He was skating to the face off circle looking at the Bruins cutting him an eye and trying the stare down LOL

7. jedimyrmidon says:

Wow, dagger to the Blues’ hearts with 0.1s left in the period.

Like that shorty against the Habs last night after Colby put one off the freakin’ crossbar.

8. C-Sword says:

Penner scored at 0.2 left in the 2nd. WOW!

9. Gally365 says:

Don’t start blaming MB. He took over a team in which the other GM”s wasted money on has bins so he had few dollars to work with.

Myself I think he did a hell of a job with very little money. when we clear up a few dollars. I think MB and his staff will spend it wisely and put a good team in Montreal.

You may not like the DD contract but he’s tradeable.

10. Steven says:

Still a lot of anger and grudge over here.

Personally, I’ve had the best two nights of my life the past two. Didn’t even watch the hockey game(Listened to 690 for like a period then stopped).

Life is great, guys. Habs season being over really isn’t the end of the world. They’ll get better next year, the Cup will come back sooner rather than later. In the meantime, enjoy the greatness of life!

• JohnBellyful says:

Could you be a bit more specific, re: “sooner rather than later”?

• The Jackal says:

I’m betting in 3-5 years.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Steven says:

Yeah, I’m gonna go with about that too. I’d say next year, but I’m not sure I wanna be so bold! :)

• JohnBellyful says:

Okay.
          (Just to let you know, I’ve taken a screenshot of the page.)

P.S. I’ll go with three years, based on no calamitous injuries, promising young players evolve into stars, MB bolsters team through judicious trades, Price lives up to early promise from start of season to end, and the referees enforce rules as written.
          Hmmm. That last one …
          Uh, this is all a pipe dream, isn’t it?

• The Jackal says:

Take the screenshot!
            I’m really going to put the money down.
            If I win, I will buy everyone on HIO a round, assuming the payout covers that :D

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

11. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Ah yes; I forgot the Koivu angle.

12. JohnBellyful says:

Everyone’s waiting with bated breath – except Front’, there’s more than a hint of booze on his – to hear what MB will say at his press conference Monday. Some posters question whether he’ll be asked any tough questions because he’s been getting a bit of a free ride his first year at the helm.
    MB could go a long way to winning over posters who have begun to cast doubt on his managerial acumen if he were to agree to answer one measly question from the HIO commentariat.
    I even dreamt about it last night:

“Marc, the team surprised the pundits by not only making the playoffs but also winning its division, only to disappoint their fans by being ousted in the first round, in large part because of injuries, but the Canadiens’ quick exit coming after a lacklustre performance down the stretch pointed to a great many weaknesses in the lineup which you will need to address in the coming months, such as soft defence that can’t clear the front of the goal, a group of forwards that has trouble scoring, mainly because so few of them charge the net, a goalie whose inconsistent play doesn’t inspire confidence, players who fell far short of the expectations placed on them when they signed long-term contracts, a coach who insisted on using certain players when holding the man advantage despite their obvious inability to mount a sustained attack, a fondness by the rearguards to ice the puck, a lack of a heavyweight who can play a regular shift on the fourth line and administer a beating when the other team takes liberties with your skilled players, a disturbing propensity to take stupid penalties, and the uncertain future two of your young stars face because of serious injuries, all of which, as you must know, represent a huge challenge, especially for one still settling into being a GM, which makes many of us who follow the team so avidly wonder: What are the hell are you going to do?”

I woke up when he asked me to repeat the question.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if it makes Gerald (HIB) feel any less shame than already justifiably burdens Him with His support of da Weeds …I will in camaraderie with Ger to ‘come out’ to share His disgrace and heavy burden by disclosing I like James Reimer …in a totally platonic way, of course

…and, because I ‘like’ him as a good, likeable Canadian kid, I also hope he succeeds in his endeavors in the sport …ergo, I, in this brief moment in time, am equally ashamed to admit, …I prefer da Weeds to beat the crap outta da dastardly Boston Beans

…so, now excuse Me as I take a shower :)

14. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Between ANA vs. DET… I ‘m going for DET to win the series … One draft position higher for the Habs and several draft picks lower for our future divisional rivals

Who’s with me?

• Clay says:

Koivu…I want him to win.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I am with you. If Detroit wins than Montreal would draft 21st instead of 22nd by my calculations. Could be 20 if the Islanders upset Pittsburgh too . Definitely worth cheering for Detroit. Also drafting 34 and 36. Go get em Mr. Timmins

15. C-Sword says:

A Bruins Vs Kings finals would be awesome! I’m not a fan of the Bruins, I just want people to see that they are not that good. The Kings are more talented, they’re also big and dirty as well. Skate with your head up when playing against Brown and Richards, they’ll show you no mercy.

16. jedimyrmidon says:

For those of you who are really down on the Habs, the Leafs are now 2-3 in their series.

Are they better than the Habs? Is Reimer better than Price?

What are the answers to these questions:
    1. Did the Habs have some significant injuries?
    2. What was the reffing like in Game 4 compared to any other game in the playoffs from any other series?
    3. Which series was the most ‘out of control’?
    4. Does puck luck exist (independent from good goaltending and defensive play)? If so, which team had the most: the Sens or the Habs? Was there a large discrepancy?

17. habaholic68NJ says:

Hate the Bruins. Hate the Leafs almost as much. Hope the series goes to game 7 in OT with both teams destroying each other. Don’t care who wins, as long as the winner losses in the next round.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

18. Sportfan says:

So what King would you like to have on the Habs? I mean what FA King would you like :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. C-Sword says:

Doughty is ridiculous, why won’t they play Super Halak?

20. Clay says:

Great overtime here in Washington!

21. frontenac1 says:

@uce. No way amigo. Jager and Red Bull got me bent real good.Wiped out a few people on the dancefloor, fell down and my heart almost blew up.It”s Crazy sh*t.

22. ColeTrain says:

To Quote MB..” If I Start Acting like Fan’s I’ll be one soon” 14 Million for DD, Ridiculous. Montreal is in Boston-Philly Division! Waste os Cap Space!

4Ever Proud

23. Sportfan says:

I understand people want to get bigger and I agree just remember if we add too much size we might become slow. Although we should really build our team like LA and St Louis what a series!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. Mark C says:

I know HIO has a size fetish, but can we cross our fingers and hope Bo Horvat drops in the draft.

25. Sportfan says:

THE BRUINS HAD ONE JOB and they blew it.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. Bozo McBozo says:

How the hell did this all happen? I pass the odd fart and the Habs are done?

• Clay says:

You should have held it in, bro.

27. Sbah Reverof says:

As much as I can’t stand the Bruins, I must say they played some great music over their loudspeaker system in between plays, notably Rancid’s Ruby Soho.

28. Alex_425 says:

So, I know, at least in the NHL 2.0/3.0/Whatever-you-wanna-call-it, we have the strongest rivalry with the Bruins, with the Leafs taking more of a backseat simply because the games are much more exciting, and the Bruins have more players who are easily hated.

And trust me, ladies and gents, I hate the Bruins. I’m on your side.

But despite that, I cannot bring myself to root for Toronto, even though I hate seeing them win, like they did tonight. This series is like being trapped in a room with no way out, having nothing but old, dirty alcohol lying around to drink as you bide your time, but it’s the only way to get drunk and take away the suffering.

No sir, I don’t like it.

But I’m no expert….

29. The Jackal says:

Well, maybe we’re out but at least it’s still the first round, the most fun to watch.

:D

I know soon the Habs will be zippin around and laying big checks and not letting people in the crease.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

30. Un Canadien errant says:

Burly, the proper way to couch it is to say that you’re rooting against the Bruins. That’s it. You can’t say that other thing you said.

Frontenac, Jagermeister is “potion magique”, it cures everything. Love that it started out as a patent medicine, like Coca-cola and Pepsi-cola, but the Germans turned it into pop for adults, as opposed to diabetes and tooth decay in a can.

The cool thing about Jager is that if you’re trying to offer up shots to members of the fairer sex, tequila or Jack Daniels won’t do, but Jagr is always welcome. Same with Jager bombs.

So with due deference to your expertise in this area, I believe you should pay homage to Jagermeister.

31. habbernack says:

I have to say that I am NOT s leafs fan. I am not a Bruins fan. But go Leafs go. Bring the cup back to Canada. Same goes foe Ottawa. GO CANADA GO

32. habs_54321 says:

wow leafs barely survived that

33. Bill says:

James Reimer is better than Carey Price by a fair bit

• kalevine says:

d’ya think?

• Clay says:

I agree. Clutch goaltending. Much cheaper as well.

• The Jackal says:

More like the Bruins were not clutch, the Leafs barely won… it was not because of Reimer but because of the many posts and wide chances the B’s missed.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don’t think Price is that good. See my sig for why.

• L Elle says:

Must be tough living in a world with no faith.

• Clay says:

Not at all. It’s very liberating. No need to have illusions when you can embrace reality.

• L Elle says:

What is reality? Can you quantify love? Can you hold pain in your hand? Can you, in a court of law, produce evidence of specific dreams? Yet, they all exist.

• The Jackal says:

The jury may still be out on Price, Reimer is not better than him.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• L Elle says:

Jackal, Clay is, I’m sure, even without evidence, a really good guy, but for him, every goalie, not named Carey Price is better, way better. No use “debating”. I know, I’ve tried.

• Clay says:

You can quantify the chemical reactions that lead to love and pain Larisa. Also, scientists can explain why we dream, and what is occurring in the brain when you are dreaming.
            I choose to live in the world of science and fact. If you don’t, that’s great. But don’t think your way is somehow superior.
            We could get in to a long, rambling discussion about what reality is, but really all we can talk about is what we know about reality. So far, all observable information points to the fact that Price is just not as good as his contract suggests he should be.
            Here’s the thing though – things can change, and we all (me included) hope I am wrong about him.
            As I said – I deal in reality. If the facts change, so does my opinion. People of faith do not share this quality.

• L Elle says:

Sorry Clay, not everything can be explained. With hundreds of books on human anatomy, there is still no true explanation of how the nervous system works. No scientist can solve the riddle, and in my opinion, never will.

They can’t touch or see what we feel and dream. I don’t think my way is superior. Funny you should phrase it in that way. Projecting?

Re Price, if he produces results, you might be able to stomach him, but that’s about it. I hope you are wrong about Price, but not for my sake, but for the future success of the team. But in the meanwhile, you spend quite an amount of time trying to influence the reality of others who actually like and believe in Price.

Isn’t this fun? We can agree to disagree without calling each other names. Good night Clay.

• Clay says:

I don’t believe I’ve ever called you ‘names’ Larissa. :)
            I, on the other hand, have been called many for my skepticism about Price (not by you, I think). As to being able to stomach Price – you seem to have the impression that this is a personal thing. I assure you it’s not. It’s not that I don’t ‘like’ Price; it’s that I just don’t think he’s that good.

• Mark C says:

Well, if he’s really so good he won’t be cheaper much longer.

• Clay says:

I disagree – lots (LOTS!!!) of better goalies are cheaper than Price. ;)

• kalevine says:

ouch!
            but can they do rodeo even with a pulled groin?

• Mark C says:

Ok. My point was Reimer only has one year left on his second contract and he will be paid Price level money if he keeps his play up. The difference between what Price and Reimer are paid is timing.

• Clay says:

I just can’t see TO offering him $6.5 million per year though Mark. Most GM’s realize that you can’t tie up that much money in a goalie. History shows us this often a poor decision (Luongo, Dipietro, et.all).

• kalevine says:

at least he is proving himself BEFORE he gets the big money

• Mark C says:

He hasn’t proved anything relative to Price. Price has played well in the playoffs before and won series, something Reimer hasn’t done yet.

• Clay says:

I agree he hasn’t proven anything to justify a huge payday.

• kalevine says:

Price won one series 5 years ago
            he’s lost 4 since

• Mark C says:

Well that’s one more than than someone who has proven himself according to you.

• Alex_425 says:

NOOOO!

You must not read from the book!!

But I’m no expert….

• The Jackal says:

Wow Bill….
      Bruins are making him look good.
      We lit him up many a time anyway.
      Where are these comments coming from?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Chrisadiens says:

Bill has always been skeptical of Price.

He also thought the Stars won the Cole trade. :) Sorry Bill. Couldn’t resist.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Clay says:

Looking at the playoff Ryder just had, I’m not sure Bill is wrong about this. ;)

34. Chrisadiens says:

Whoa, someone dipped into his crystal meth stash eh? Mods?

Edit: Nice work.

Edit Edit: so calling someone a bag of *hit is OK? Hmmm

Edit edit edit: nice work again.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HabinBurlington

…Gerald ? …have You finally come out of the closet My Friend ? :(

• Clay says:

I’m with Gerald on this. I just dislike the Bruins too much to pull for them.

36. kalevine says:

did anyone see that trip on the leaf player in the leafs zone on the bruins pp? unbelievable. He was being hooked then triupped or he would have cleared the zone

• Clay says:

Terrible reffing isn’t exclusive to Habs games…

• kalevine says:

hat wasn’t the last obvious penalty that was ignored. For that reason alone, the Bruins did not deserve to tie

• Clay says:

I agree. Atrocious. This BS reffing is what won them a cup.

• kalevine says:

I dunno the way they trounced the Canucks I’m not sure they would have lost if they had payed shorthanded the whole time

although they might not have gotten out of the first round

37. Danno says:

blow leafs blow

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

38. Bill says:

Haha, man there is NO such thing as holding, hooking, or interference in the playoffs, eh?

NHL: one set of rules in the regular season, no frigging rules in the playoffs.

Bruin comeback?

2-1 now

40. Bozo McBozo says:

Go ahead and rag on the Leafs all you want, but the Habs were the freakin’ first team eliminated in the 20012-13 campaign!

41. kalevine says:

I hope the Leafs win, but for some reason I am suspicious of a 2-0 lead in the third period :(

42. habsfan0 says:

2-0 Leafs.
    They’ll still lose.

43. habsfan0 says:

Leafs TV has a live shot of Laffs fans gathered at Maple Leaf Square.
    It will be interesting to see their reactions at the end of the game.

Chara is a prick, goes in looking for extra late hits, then gets pissed off when people call him on it. Eff you Chara!

O’Byrne with the takedown of the caveman.

45. Sportfan says:

Why are the Bruins so useless

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. C-Sword says:

Lol, I didn’t know this Subban existed

He’s PK’s cousin

47. neumann103 says:

I’ve got it!!!!

All the Habs need is to add some players, regardless of skill or experience or availability who are 2 inches taller than some current players.

Problem solved!

“Et le but!”

48. frontenac1 says:

@burly. I like you amigo.just concerned with you drinking that crazy German sh#t.I drank that crap once and freaked out on the dance floor.It wasn’t pretty.Stick to the good stuff.It will be fine.Saludos!

@Front, no worries bud, fighting a cold/flu, shooting back the Jager like Buckleys, I’ll get through this. Have a good night bud.

49. Chrisadiens says:

Wow according to Stubbs, Prust’s rib popped out and Prust popped it back in himself. What a friggin warrior.

Stubbs says the full story is coming soon.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

50. The Jackal says:

Is there a site where I can make a very specific bet? Habs win the cup in 3-5 years.

• Habilis says:

Yeah, Vegas. Most casinos have sport-books, most of those are willing to lay odds on long term bets like that.

If you’re serious about it, there’s just no guarantee that a site (especially the type that would give you odds on that kind of bet) will still be operating in 3-5 years. The big casinos in Vegas though, they ain’t going anywhere.

Plus if you do win the bet, what better way to celebrate then to fly there and collect? ;)

51. Psycho29 says:

Is McLean getting Don’s hand-me-downs now???

52. thebonscott says:

Shouldn’t your third line Centre be gritty and tough to play against. I love plekanec but we need to think big picture. St Louis could use a plekanec and they have size to give back.
    Carey Price meet Matt Foley.

53. The Jackal says:

Habs are the best.

54. Danno says:

Hey look!

Chara’s helmet fell on to the ice.

Too bad his head wasn’t still in it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

55. frontenac1 says:

I come back from a nice afternoon at the Saloon with the lads and what do I read? Burly cheering for the Laffs? WTF?!!I Stop with the Jagermeister amigo! Vodka or Rum or Singlemalt. Immediately!!Trust me on this one amigo. You will hope for numerous Punch ups with ensuing injuries to both the Bruins and Leafs.

Grabovski with 3 good chances and can’t bury it.

57. punkster says:

Twilight…if you’re still checking in tonight…this is a follow up to your earlier comment about the expertise on this site compared to actual NHL GMs and coaches.

I encourage everyone to go to the Poll Archive (under today’s poll question) to see two things; first, overall poll results…and second, how your answer (it’s in bold text if you answered the poll question) stacked up to both the rest of the membership or to actual team/player results.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Habfan10912 says:

Dave, as often as I’ve visited this site I never realized that the bold item on the poll response represented my response. Thanks for that info. I learned something today. CHeers.

• punkster says:

I never realized it myself until I posted a few results a couple of weeks ago. I couldn’t figure out why some poll results had no bold print until I remembered that I never answered those particular ones.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

58. KLear says:

Does the CBC pay Maclean and Stock extra $$$ to swallow like this every show when praising the leafs ?

59. SlovakHab says:

Hi everyone.

Well, what a season. Before it started, and especially after the 1st game (that we lost to Toronto), I was sure it won’t be better than 10th overall place this season. But a fresh coach, rookie players, new signings and new system surprised the eastern conference and we were able to beat up on South-East teams and ride the momentum up to the 2nd overall finish in the East, up from 15th last year.
    Even last season, many people pointed out that Canadiens were the best team that ever finished last in the conference, based on the goal differential etc.
    If you pop in to HEOTP, you’ll still hear them gloating about how much better we are than Ottawa, based on our “puck possession, advanced stats, Fenwick, Corsi, PDO and whatever else fancy stats there exist”.

I mean, come on! 2-4, 3-1, 1-6, 2-3o, 1-6 We got absolutely steamrolled, and it doesn’t freakin’ matter that you had the puck 55% of the time and fired more shots that were wide, or blocked by your opponent. Let’s be honest, folks. Ottawa Senators were a much more resilient team, they had a clutch goaltending, better and more organized defence, came back from behind and didn’t sit on leads, had better and more accurate shooting and as much as you guys hate McLean, he played Therrien very, very well. While Therrien was steaming, McLean was smiling, even after being offended in the media by Brandon Prust.

Now, let’s talk about the future. Because this season hugely reminds me of 2008 playoffs. When we won the East, then got bitch-slapped by Flyers in round 2. That time, people were also saying that we were so much better than Flyers, that we didn’t have any shooting luck, and that next season we will go all the way or at least will make much more noise. That our youth of Komisarek, Higgins, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, D’Agostini, Lapierre, Price, O’Byrne and other players will make the Canadiens a contender for years to come.

I hear the same things these days, to be honest. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bealieu, Tinordi, Eller and other names are being added to Subban and Pacioretty and that “future is bright” and “our cup window is about to open”.. etc etc.

I really don’t want to sound like a pessimist, but to be honest with you guys, I think this is all BS. I don’t think that Habs look any better than they looked in 2008, and we are possibly up for another 5 years of mediocrity, with possibly 1 deeper playoff run.

If you look around the league, you will realize that Canadiens, surprisingly, aren’t the only team that can draft young players! And shockingly, other teams are able to draft well too. For every Galchenyuk, you will find a handful of other potential stars around his age. Same goes for goalies (Price), defencemen (Subban, Tinordi), forwards (Pacioretty, Eller).

Just look at Ottawa: Karlsson vs Subban. Cowen vs Tinordi. Turris vs Eller. Silfverberg & Zibanejad vs Gally & Gally. Ceci vs Bealieu… I could go on. They lack absolutely nothing, and they came up as a clear winner this season.
    Look at Boston – Gally vs Seguin, Tinordi/Bealieu vs Hamilton, Price vs Rask, Pacioretty vs Lucic, Gallagher vs Marchand.

Both of these teams’ AHL affiliates also made postseason, which may mean not that much to many of you – but they did get valuable play-off experience at the very least.

These are 2 teams that we will play very often in the future. I don’t know about clearly being better. Now, Toronto has improved a bit over the years… Tampa and Carolina can’t be worse, and they also have lots of great prospects and young players that will be excellent for years to come. They all have their weaknesses too, but just like Montreal, these will be addressed.

Secondly, our veterans (players at their peak that won’t improve, or experienced 30+ year-olds). Gionta, Plekanec, Gorges, Moen, Markov, Desharnais, Borque, Bouillon, Prust, Emelin + upcoming FAs in Ryder, Armstrong and Halpern. Does that sound like a stanley-cup winning formula??? I mean look next door! both Chara and Gonchar are better than Markov (you can argue about Gonchar, but at least he didn’t miss 2 past seasons). Bergeron and Krejci are above Plekanec/DD. Look at Ottawa’s defence and then laugh at Markov/Gorges/ Drewiske/Bouillon. All massive men with at least 6’2, 200lb frames except for Karlsson. Look at Boston’s depth up front. Do you think that what they are scared of is Gionta, Desharnais or Plekanec? Can Gionta score as many clutch goals as Alfredsson (I know he may retire soon but I am comparing the present now)

Okay, you may say that I am picking a favourable matchups here. Yes, Subban is better than Methot or Boychuk. And Plekanec is better than Chris Kelly. But I am after apples for apples, so if we compare 2-way centres, then it’s Bergeron vs Plekanec. If we compare old offensive D men, then Gonchar or Chara vs Markov. Georges vs Methot. Price vs Rask. Halpern vs Kelly. Gionta vs Alfredsson. Pacioretty vs Lucic. Borque vs Horton.

I really think that our veterans are a decent group of excellent people and above-average NHL players on their position. But elite, Stanley Cup winning? Well, maybe second round, if injuries stay away.

So to be honest guys, both the present group and the future group don’t look that good on paper vs Ottawa and Boston to me. And there is heaps more teams that we will have to play against in the east, not counting all those tough western teams.

Folks, I enjoyed the regular season and I can’t wait for the puck drop in October. I remain a massive Habs fan and I am not taking down Canadiens flag from my wall.

However, unlike majority here, I don’t expect too much in the future. Maybe Marc Bergevin will do some great work and improve the veteran core of this team. I am sure he is an intelligent man. I am sure he knows that you cannot build a team out of undersized players with above-average skills. So let’s see. I would love him to surprise me.

But I am not expecting it.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

We made one big step this season and we´ll make another (probably smaller) one next season. That´s what really matters.

If you don´t think that Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Eller and Pacioretty are much much better than Komisarek, Higgins, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, D’Agostini, Lapierre, and O’Byrne, I can´t help you.

• SlovakHab says:

I’ve been a member of this site since August 4, 2008.
        I remember what people were writing about the second group. Same things as now.

You need to understand that the second group has failed to achieve anything in Montreal, but 5 years ago they looked good to all of us. This is what I am saying. Are you intelligent enough to understand it?

I know Subban is dominant 1st class defenceman, but the rest is still questionable. Yes, our young group migh be better than the previous one, but is it going to be better than the rest of the league?

• Marc10 says:

I don’t think we’re better off than in 08 either. With the cap coming down, we’re going to have problems unless we can find a way to offload a big contract or two. I wouldn’t be surprised if we miss the playoffs next year while the Gio, Markov and Plek deals come off the books.

Gio is untradeable, Markov won’t get you much of a return in the last year of an expensive deal (in an unfriendly cap world) and Pleks remains a skilled second center who won’t be completely replaced by Chucky and Eller (at least right away…) So if you move him, you’ll probably pay a price during the regular season.

With Subbidoo hitting the jackpot, we’re going to be tight against the cap.

Credit the Sens, they took a young, well-coached team and added size and grit to it… Their D was huge and really shut down our smaller, skilled guys. Playoff hockey… It’s a different beast and the Sens built a team for it. (They’ll still lose in the second round. They should have lost at least two games to us…

It will take us a few years to rejig our lineup to go deep in the playoffs. Never mind playing the Kings or Hawks or Blues… Ouch! Hurts just thinking about it…

• Habfan10912 says:

PK and Galchenyuk are once in a lifetime talents. You will see.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The defence 2 years from now, after Tinordi and Beaulieu are comfortable, with Subban and Emelin, is going to be very, very good.

And when that happens, Price will fall in line because he won’t feel like he’s been thrown to the wolves.

****************
      “It’s frightening to contemplate how this undersized team would fare in a seven-game series against St. Louis, L.A. or Chicago..”

–Mike Boone

• SlovakHab says:

Tinordi may be great, but he can become another Komisarek. You never know.
        Bealieu is very talented, but is he going to be more than an offensive top-4 defenceman?
        Emelin is not 22 anymore, he is what you see now – a physical 4th D. One punch in the face and he can be done – don’t forget his metal plate.

I love all these guys, but they are far from a surefire elite NHL defencemen group.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Great, elite?

I’m thinking more along the lines of solid and reliable.

Subban is great and elite no question.

All I’m expecting of Beaulieu is a scaled down, second offensive weapon behind Subban who’s 6’2″ and responsible in his own end.

And I don’t care if Tinordi gets 2pts a year as long as he’s strong defensively and plays a hard game.

And all I’m expecting from Emelin is exactly what you said, a hard hitting 4th defenceman.

Put that all together and it’s a solid unit, IMO.

And we haven’t mentioned a handful of other promising looking prospects on defence.

****************

–Mike Boone

• kalevine says:

this is an expansion upon what I said a few pages back
      The future looks bright ad infinitum
      There is no future there is only now. And now is pretty bad

60. EricInStL says:

Jagr still has those incredible hands…..

Also I thought Price was always on his knees but Rask is worse….

61. PrimeTime says:

I think many of you should send MB your CV’s citing all your EA Sports NHL experience !! I’m sure he could use your expertise.

• EricInStL says:

Maybe Vince Vaughn making Gretzky bleed in Swingers…..

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think you should send your CV to a fishing boat operator citing all your HIO experience…I’m sure he could use your trolling expertise.

62. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Will anyone in the media have the guts and sense of duty to ask the tough questions? Ask Price if he feels he is capable of performing in the playoffs and if he is happy with himself. Did he earn his salary? Ask each player if they are satisfied with their performance in the 1st round. Ask the mgmt. if they have any regrets about the contracts they have handed out thru the season now that they have witnessed the performance of the team and those players in the only season that matters. Ask Bergevin if Timmins has the knowledge and intelligence to bring in the kind of talent that his counterparts have brought to the Blues, Kings, Hawks, Pens, Sens and Bruins. Ask Therrien if he felt he was out-coached. How does a team not score on a 5 on 3 PP after what happened to Eller? Is Gallant an adequate asst. coach and is he qualified to be in charge of the power play? This coach and GM were so busy figuring out what they would say and wear when they went to receive their awards as best coach and GM that they forgot they had assembled a team of frauds and awarded them all big fat juicy contracts. Budaj at $1.5M and Bouillon too. Give the fans a Cup-winner or at least a fearsome and intimidating squad that the rest of the league hates to play against. Selke and Pollock knew how to build champions. These guys know how to dress sharply and give good press conferences but they couldn’t recognize talent if their lives depended on it

63. Psycho29 says:

Wow….nice to see all the trolling cockroaches have come out of the woodwork now that the Habs have been eliminated.
    Where were they in February and March? Nowhere to be found, just hoping that “their team” falters so they can reappear.

Well trolls (and you know who you are), it must really piss you off that Bergevin and Therrien took this team from LAST in the conference last year to SECOND this season.

This outcome of this series probably would have been different had the Habs not had 5 or 6 injured regulars and an ailing Pacioretty.

It’s a rebuild…..and it’s going in the right direction, the kids on the way up look great and will fill in for some veterans who will be gone in the next season or two.

More changes are coming this summer, this team is going to get even better…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

+ 76278174141131427917538

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

There is no money to make new additions thanks to the contracts handed out willy nilly by mgmt. We’re stuck with that useless piece of s–it Price in nets for 5 more years and Budaj as well. DD is here to stay for 4 years and Max Pac is here for 5 and Gio for 2. Gorges who knows how to talk like Dr. Phil but also plays defense like Dr. Phil is here for 5 years and Diaz who would be a great female impersonator is here to stay because Timmins likes those softies and the pipeline is full of more of the same useless players who look great in morning practice but can’t play NHL playoff hockey. Give me a f—ing break. These guys are total losers.

• ont fan says:

What do you like about this team? Anything.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I love the Habs as my team from childhood in Montreal. I hate the team that has been assembled since the 80s because the mgmt. has f—ed with the goal of the franchise which is to win the Stanley Cup. I hate this group of losers amongst the players and mgmt. whose only desire is to get wealthy off the fans. Other than Subban,Prust Gallagher and Galchenyuk name me one player who has earned his paycheque for the last few seasons. Wake up people this organization is turning into the Leafs where players and coaches and managers come to get rich and ready for retirement. I’ll bet MT is making great money to be outcoached and MB is making way more than the Hawks paid him and Gallant who couldn’t get the PP to score on a crucial 5 on 3 is making another ton of cash…Geoff Molson is a very nice man from a great family and I think he has been duped and turned the franchise over to a bunch of money-grubbing losers just because they are francophones.

• Psycho29 says:

@ Leaf Fan in Hab Jungle:

Nuna?

Thanks for proving my point about the trolls

• Mark C says:

So many inaccuracies in this post, quite humorous.

• coppi928 says:

there is after the buyout of Kabby alot of money

64. Strummer says:

I hate Boston but I love Krejci.

I hate the Leafs but I like Kadri

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Well I have to come clean, I am rooting, cheering for the Leafs in this series. I have many friends who are Leafs fans, and most of them I can have an intelligent hockey conversation with. I know quite a few Bruins fans, and all they ever talk about is Bruins hockey, hit em, fight em etc….

While Carlyle preaches a physical and truculent game, he also coaches a tactical game. The Bruins are starting to remind me of the 70’s Flyers, where they believe it is their rite to to hit anyone they want , regardless of puck whereabouts or even if whistle has gone. Seems to me they are the crusader for this brand of hockey.

I have no issue with physical games, I have no issues with spontatneous fighting, but I have issues with players like Marchand who feel they can cheap shot anyone they want, or Lucic who feels no one can hit him, but he has license for free runs at anyone.

The media of Toronto can be painful, but regardless of the games outcome they will not change. What I want is a change in how hockey is slowly creeping back to just physicality and eliminating many of the high skilled plays and its players. While Toronto represents some of this, they will not get past the next round, Boston could.

So while I am pained to say this, I am cheering for Toronto.

There, I said it.

66. Chrisadiens says:

Hey gang! You may also like….

Budaj will get the start against the Pens.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Wow, can’t believe CBC just gave that idiot in Boston that much airtime. Granted he could be PJ or Don’s cousin.

68. thebonscott says:

also i would trade price, if i could convince LA to part with bernier

Carey Price meet Matt Foley.

69. thebonscott says:

So should we wait under plekanec is washed up to trade him and get nothing(like calgary did with iginla), or should we get a big young forward for him while we can? any thoughts?

Carey Price meet Matt Foley.

70. fastfreddy says:

I’m disappointed that we lost in playoffs,obviously, like most fans. I really hope that M. Bergevin and his management crew took notes watching this series and brainstorm their ideas on how to improve and fix this team for the upcoming season. Grit and Size has to be a factor in their choices.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

71. thebonscott says:

4 more years of david desharnais, SIGH……

Carey Price meet Matt Foley.

72. mrhabby says:

Price and Luongo change cities as a hockey trade forget about $. Thoughts anybody.

73. zorro says:

ah man what a week. I don’t know about you but i’ve had a hard time sleeping this week. Just thinking about our team and the walrus. It’s not easy being a Hab fan in Ottawa. Nothing’s gone right for us this week and i have to put up with the pompous media and the ABC ( Anybody But the Canadiens ) fans.
    Mr. MB you gotta make some move’s, learn from the previous mistake’s and make this team BIGGER, Pa lease. Please no more getting pushed around, Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, how can we compete without size? Get rid of the smurf’s, they can play in Switzerland, I hear it’s nice there.
    Mr. MB, we can’t bring a knife to a gun fight. Por favor.

74. Sportfan says:

God I hope the leafs get eliminated, the leaf blowing is getting a tad overboard now.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

75. Chrisadiens says:

Just an idea here and I know it will fall on deaf ears but how about icons for rank (years of membership) by people’s names? It gets tiresome reading a trollish like post and having to click the name and seeing the person joined 2 days ago.

The veterans of this site are the core IMO, and the reason I signed up in the first place. They should get some recognition.

In addition, my father has brought this idea to my attention. A waiting period after signing up until you can actually post a comment. A week, 2 weeks, a month? I don’t know but it could help cut out some of the nonsense that goes on here.

But then again HIO thrives on hits and comments. It’s a free site and they generate $$$ from ad space. So I guess the more trolls, the more anger, the more comments, the more $$$.

Sigh. Sorry for the rant. :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Ron says:

Chris, your last paragraph pretty much answers your own question or request. It is a free site which encourages traffic and comments as long as they meet the HIO site guide lines on the right. Its freedom of speech as well so we all got to suck it up and take the good with the bad. Trying to put in those type of additions could look like starting a class system. That went out years ago. Sometimes it’s not enjoyable weeding through the posts that try and get people pissed but that is what it is. A country club it won’t be. I’ve been here long enough to know that.

• Fransaskois says:

I haven’t been here a long time but I agree to an extent. I’m not sure if there’s a sure-fire way to keep trolls off the board and to keep good posters around. Hopefully the big guys don’t take it the wrong way but, it’s up to the mods to monitor and fix that kind of stuff. It’s sad to see the site get trashed and trolled. Hopefully we’ll find a fix!

• Habfan10912 says:

Chris, I tend to agree with both you and Ron that its something we’ll have to live with. I do think that many sites have a waiting period before you can post and even a 24 it 48 hour wait could mitigate many if the trolls we’ve seen here in recent months. But as you and Ron both said, it probably is what it is.

• Ron says:

Another thing Jim is if a waiting period were to be in place all you would gain is the waiting period. Once that is up you’d have day after day all at once the crap they were waiting to post. What I’m trying to say is you cannot segerate. It only leads to problems with the site owners. Its also hard for the mods to police. The only way is for the site (Gazette) to up the rules so that Stu or another Staff member can delete them from the site. To give a mod that much clout will cause more problems than they want. Jusy my opinion.

• commandant says:

The one thing this site needs, that a lot of message boards have, is an “ignore” function.

If you don’t like a person’s comments, and they consistently seem like a troll, you can block that person, so their posts don’t show up when you are logged in, it just skips right over them.

That would be nice, and then each individual user would have the power to use their own ignore list and you aren’t giving a mod that much clout.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Ron says:

An ignore button is a way to eliminate your own personal choices for sure. Trying to give mods too much power if one wants to use that word causes problems with what each mod considers over the line. Friendships come into play as well. Not the proper avenue IMO.