GM Bergevin to hold press conference on Monday

The Canadiens announced on Friday that the players will clear out their lockers in Brossard on Saturday and be made available to the media after 1 p.m., while general manager Marc Bergevin will hold his post-mortem press conference at noon Monday in Brossard.

The Canadiens saw their season come to an end with Thursday night’s 6-1 loss to the Ottawa Senators in Game 5 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Senators eliminate Canadiens in Game 5, by Pat Hickey

A silver lining to this dark cloud, by Dave Stubbs

Look to the future, Plekanec says, by Pat Hickey

Senators win series 4-1, NHL.com

Game 5 photo gallery

Aislin cartoon on end of Habs season

Senators crush Canadiens to advance, by Ottawa Citizen

Who’s up for another round, by Ottawa Citizen

Another year without a Cup for Habs fans, by Stu Cowan

Catching up with some former Habs, by Stu Cowan

1. smiler2729 says:

Dear Marc Bergevin,

Please get rid of two glaring playoff little girls, (#14 and #79)

I want to beat Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia and Ottawa regularly from now on and go past the 1st round more often than not.

So do what you have to.

Thanks,
    Pete

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

2. zozotheclown says:

Haven’t posted in a while, but here goes. I think a lot of people are glossing over the biggest problem this team has, which in my opinion, is that we do not have a number 2 D.

Subban has proved this season, and in the playoffs, that he is a number 1. I could give evidence but I think all agree. Next season we will start to see him with some major TOI, up with the Sutter’s and Karlsson’s of the league. Problem is, who does he play with? Markov can’t handle those minutes, and neither can Gorges in my opinion. He is a solid D, with all the heart in the world, but he lacks the body or talent for a number one pairing work.

The only immediate solution I can see is Robyn Regehr. He’s not ideal (age/cost), but he’s big and can handle big minutes. He would stabilize our D pairings and IMO solve a lot of problems and help the PK. So as much as people want Clarkson, I think MB’s best move would be to use the Kaberle buyout money to sign Robyn Regehr. D pairings are then:

Subban – Regehr
    Markov – Emelin
    Gorges – Tinordi
    Spares: Bouillon, Diaz

Any better D out there we could sign or trade for?

3. habs1992 says:

Dont forget next year is an Olympic year, I actually hope Price does not even make the team and same to Markov need all the rest they can get before playoffs.

I support Carey Price

• Chrisadiens says:

There’s no way Price doesn’t at least make the team. Markov too. Perhaps Markov will decline the invite, but I’m sure Price wouldn’t. Interesting to think about though.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HabfaninTO says:

This team has to get way BIGGER not only up front but on the back end….. everybody thinks Anderson is so great, but he gives up big juicy rebounds…thing is you can’t get to them because the Sens D is really big and do an great job of boxing teams out and clearing the front of the net…the Habs smallish forwards were ripe to be beaten down.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a request for Stu Cowan

…Stu, if Your budgets allow, it would be greatly appreciated if The Gazette and HIO can extend Mike Boone’s contract to contribute with, say a weekly blog, to keep the conversations lucid during the summer ?

…after all, HIO does not shut-down for the summer …this Habs’ Fans community, unlike Our Players, are continually ‘on the ice’ over the summer …and Boone is valued as Our Referee-In-Chief :)

…I think Your hits on HIO would be greatly increased by keeping Boone gainfully employed and away from temptations for any number of illicit activities as We await another season

5. twilighthours says:

I’m guessing the people on here who are already proclaiming that we wont make the playoffs next year were the same people who said, in January, that we wouldn’t make it this year.

We dont know squat about hockey, people. It should be obvious by now.

6. habstrinifan says:

I am up on the Mountain collecting my thoughts, which I shall share with you all on Saturday(aren’t you lucky).

So which are you waiting for most eagerly. Trini’s Tome or MB’s Presser.

Well here’s a little nugget of the brilliance which I shall share with you.
    I want a new HABS Captain. And there’s no candidate presently within our ranks. Not only do I want a new HABS Captain, but if MB is thinking the same thing and manages to achieve that item…. then count on the HABS being at least 30% better to start next season.

I TOLD YOU I was smart. Bet you cant wait ! Think about what you just read… really really think about it. You will be enthused with the possibility.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…We have one buy-out grace left following the new CBA

…most have accepted that Tomas Kaberle will be that contractual burden to be released

…Tomas’ contract is only one remaining season at $ 4.25 million

…yet, David Desharnais’, starting in September, will be for 4 more seasons at $ 3.5 millions ($ 14 millions)

…which one of these 2 contracts do You feel is the most urgent to divest ? …which of these 2 contracts impede the most Our ability to upgrade the Team at this time ?

…David Desharnais is a tough one for Me …it was only a month ago DD was one of My favorite Players …small, but tough, resilient and above average creatively. plus He produced points

…His weakness defensively, especially in His own zone, was compensated by His offensive flair and chemistry with Our style of offence …He made other Players better

…this completely disappeared in the Playoffs

…Kaberle as a 7th D man is grossly overpaid, but is it worth to bear His contract for one more season ? …and, buy-out DD instead ?

…buying-out $ 14 million is much more expensive than buying out $ 4.25 million, but DD’s 4 years is an obstacle to one of Our most pressing requirements

…that will be a tough-one to figure-out for Bergevin

8. montreal ace says:

This team needs a player like Patrick Bordeleau, who makes other teams think twice, about hitting our guys like rented mules. Faceoffs, I can’t
    don’t understand why we are so inept. Price needs a new season, so he can start fresh, he will be alright. I don’t think another coach, would have
    done better then MT this year, he did well with what he had. Every off season demands changes, I look forward to what MB, has in store for the future.

9. coppi928 says:

habs fan for 50yrs, my take on what needs to be done. Kabby, Ryder, Army, gone. Moen – trade, Gionta – trade, Gorges – trade, DD – try to trade him. Markov – try to trade him, Pleks – trade because the habs are a few yrs away, try to maximize your assets. Draft size with character and sign some free agents with size. It’s obvious they need to get bigger.

• jctremblay says:

Trades? This isn’t 1980, coppi. TSN’s trade deadline shows are often accompanied by the sound of crickets, twiddling thumbs and pencil toss competitions.

• coppi928 says:

who said wait for the trade deadline, I’m not saying it’s easy to trade these guys but a least try, package deals or bury them in the minors. Look what just happened, yes there were injuries the sad part is the Habs didn’t have any depth to insert into the lineup. The Sens had call ups all yr and they developed, the Habs, relied on Moen who we all agree was a passenger all yr and waited for the playoffs because he plays tough in them, really I’m still waiting. Army, Bludden? Trade or play in the minors, time to develop some players with grit and heart, watch videos of Gally and learn to play the right way or don’t play at all. No free ride, earn your pay.

10. smiler2729 says:

This is a good one that I heard at work from an Italian guy:
    Carey Price got a local mobster’s daughter pregnant and now he can’t be traded cuz said mobster wants him to stay and marry the girl and do the right thing by her.

Funny stuff but just out of curiousity is Price’s fiancee of Italian descent? And why am I rooting for Boston tonight??

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• jctremblay says:

At the rate Mtl mobsters are being gunned down, Carey can just wait it out and suggest Bruno take a nice trip back to Sicily where he’ll be “greeted” by long lost friends..lol

11. habs001 says:

The Habs had a good regular season and they have lots of potential
    Goaltending….Price is good but right now he is not any different than another 15-20 good goalies…he does not give you the edge in a series..he is not a difference maker…only advantage is that he can play 70 games a year
    D at the beginning of the season i posted several times that Diaz looked terrible in the Spengler Cup he was a give away machine and was seperated from the puck regularly….his early season point production fooled may posters on this site as they think point production means good d play….he was just as bad in his zone as now but was not burned as much as he was now…Gorges decision making was terrible all year…Markov…can he survive 82 games…he provided great pp production but minimal 5/5 production…
    Forwards…if the Habs veterans were dominated by Ottawa how many can you really bring back next year…if Plecks plays vs the top forwards than he has to be your 3rd line centre or they need players that can contain the other teams top line..Plecks just checked out of this series physically with his poke checking hopes for 2 on one breaks..

• mike3131 says:

I think Price is still a top 5 goalie in the NHL. I keep repeating that Therrien’s system is a nightmare for goalies if puck possession doesn’t translate to goals. As a goalie, it doesn’t do much good to watch your team dominate the first ten minutes of a 0-0 game and then suddenly the first shot you see is a 2 on 1 or breakaway and you have to make a big save.

12. Maritime Ron says:

A note of thanks!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank the HIO folks for this wonderful site and allowing free thought and ideas to flow and be expressed…while also eliminating those that abuse and lack basic, decent respect.

As a somewhat Newbie that knows no one here, please accept my gratitude for the ability to exchange and debate.

This is truly a great site with so many knowledge people – and so many witty and funny people that come from everywhere.

Humbly stated, thanks again!

13. mike3131 says:

My wishlist for off-season 2013:
    - Buy out Kaberle (Obvious)
    - Resign Ryan White (and perhaps Dumont at 2-way)
    - Resign Colby Armstrong

Markov – Gorges
    Fistric – Diaz
    Bouillon

Price
    Budaj

LTIR: Emelin

PS I was at the game last night and stayed until the final buzzer. Thanks for the season Habs! Great show!

• habs_54321 says:

that is a good wishlist

IMO the biggest priority for next year is in the following order

….1. make hamilton a powerhouse in the ahl. we have nobody in hamilton who we are able to call up and provide a spark and maybe score a goal, leblanc and kristo may be those guys next year but MB needs to make sure this summer he surrounds them with veterans who can insulate them and help them grow into nhlers

….2. a shutdown defenceman it could be matt greene it could be scuderi i dont know who it will be but there is no doubt we need a veteran defensive presence with size

….3. net presence,… going forward gallagher cannot be our biggest threat infront of the opposing goalie max basically called himself out in this area saying he needs to be better in that area so we may be able to improve this area internally however to ensure that this element is improved we should aquire another body up front that can perform in this role

…4. a true enforcer, they come cheap and basically grow on trees yet perrenialy forgotton to be addressed someone needs to be aquired to make sure prust is not out of gas by the time playoffs come around,

• mike3131 says:

Making HAM a powerhouse means excellent drafting. We have 6(?) picks in the first three rounds so I’m sure Hamilton will be just fine. I however disagree with the need for an enforcer. If you’re talking another Brandon Prust or Chris Neil or Kyle Clifford, fine, but no team needs a meathead like Frazer McLaren or Colton Orr that plays less than 5 mins in important games and becomes a pressbox resident in the playoffs.

• habs_54321 says:

right but he will be able to keep prust, moen and white from needing to break their knuckles against bigger opponents, an enforcer just makes the regular season less grueling on our character players we will end up with more gas in the tank come playoff time. it’s a lesser priority but i think it needs to be addressed.

• coppi928 says:

what does Mooen do, how many times did he just skate by instead of laying a hit? do you really think he’s going to score? if he doesn’t play tough what does he do?

• coppi928 says:

Armstrong is good in the room, if you stay with the same players you end up at the same place. What you see is what you get, time to move on from Army, try someone else.

14. Habitoban says:

I thought my Scroll Down function was gone and my screen frozen cuz I kept on seeing the same things written by the same posters. Then I remembered what site I was on. What a relief! Have a great summer!!!

15. WindsorHab-10 says:

Bergevin’s priority list:

1) Get rid of Therrien. He’s not the right coach for this team. He embarrassed the team, city & fans with his comments/actions during the first round. Not much difference between him & JM. Come to think of it, I prefer JM.
    2) Get rid of DD, Plekanec for anything. Overrated & useless when it counts. Still can’t figure out the organization’s love affair with DD.
    3) Need a tough player to compliment Prust, whatever it takes.
    4) Need a stay home defenceman, boy how I miss Hal Gill.
    Even though we’ve ripped on Price this season, the Ottawa series & other series this year proved to me that for a goalie to have any success, he must have good D in front of him. We have 2-3 & that’s it. Anderson’s success has a lot to do with his D.

• Lafrich says:

1) He annoyedthe crap out of me with his press conferences, but he is good for the team right now I think.
      2) DD stank in the playoffs and prior to the playoffs as well, but Pleks really? You are very wrong with that one my man.
      3) Agree
      4) Agree, but Gill with a mean streak would be nicer

Although I totally agree with your assertion of needing a better defense in front of our goalie, Price was letting in goals left and right that had nothing to do with defense.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Pleks but man he frustrates the hell out of me. Just when you think he’s ready to step it up & contribute, he disappoints. As for Price, I’d hate to see him go & prosper elsewhere. I know he has confidence & has talent but just seems lazy at times. Like some posters mentioned, may be a new goalie coach is needed.

• Lafrich says:

I felt the same about Price for a long time re: talent and potential, but that worn thin. He has had a long time to prove himself, and he has not stepped up.

As for Pleks, I thought he played really well. He made that great play to send Gionta in on a breakaway in game 3 that he of course missed, and he made a great play to send Armstrong in alone with the score 2-1, and of course he missed too. Those are elite plays from what I believe to be our most complete player.

16. B says:

How do the non lottery teams get positioned for the draft? Do the teams who get knocked out in the 1st round get positioned based strictly on how they all finished in the regular season standings or is how many games they won in the playoffs factored in?

If playoff wins are factored in, then perhaps: Vancouver would get #15 since they went out in 4 straight. Minny would then pick #16 for finishing lowest of teams that go out with only 1 win. Montreal would then get #17 if Toronto wins tonight or #18 Toronto loses.

If it is strictly based on regular season finish, then Montreal’s pick could end up as high as #22.

–Go Habs Go!–

17. Small_Town_Boy says:

For those of you who keep harping on Carey Price’s mental issues are totally out to lunch..

Carey Price has been taught this way since he came to Montreal. Rollie had the same way of coaching Price as Claude does now.

Price is too comfortable with Claude & he with Carey. Price needs a goalie coach that actually knows what he is doing. If he actually looks at the game replays he should see what Carey is doing wrong and fix it.

Montreal finished in 15th spot last season. This season the finished 2nd. Why? The team has a few new players yes but the key to the 180 is the new coach. MT had the team buying into a new system. Just like a new goalie coach would do with Price. How many coaches have taken the same team with pretty much the same players to new heights?

A great goalie coach could make Carey Price an elite goaltender because Price has the potential, the right coach can bring it out.

Oh and Anderson has been an avg. goaltender his whole career. He is having a good run right now as did Headcase Halak back in the day.

In 11 seasons his GAV in the reg season was 2.71, In season where he had a heavy work load his totals were bad. He has been up and down his whole career. He is finally having a good run.

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Lafrich says:

This “potential” has never come out, and I don’t see how it ever will. I really wanted him to do well. But at some point you have to cut your losses. Maybe he is just not as good as everyone thinks? He has had way more downs than ups. I could live with him being paid $2.5 million – not a penny more, because there are plenty of goalies in that price range that would give you just as much as Price. It is unfortunate, but true.

18. Lafrich says:

The #1 off-season priority is moving Carey Price.

Other moves are definitely in order, such as addressing our defense corps, or should I say corpses. Markov has played horribly since around the 7-8 game mark of the regular season. He has bobbled more pucks at the point in 1 playoff series than most defenseman do in a season. I would get reid of him, but if they don’t then at least give him 5th/6th defense minutes while improving the top 4.

If the Habs make those moves, I really don’t think that there is that much work to do with the forwards, as long as Ryder never wears a Habs Jersey again.

• jctremblay says:

That’s YOUR #1 priority, boobie..lol I’m sitting here with 4 guys from a major Jr. A team and they are ALL laughing at your comment. Not me , though.

19. Irishhabsfan says:

Thank you ,thank you ,thank you to the entire team and eveyone of it’s employee’s!

Do not forget the Habs went from 15th last year to division champs in one year, anything can and has happened in the playoffs …look at the Iles vs Pens series, who would have thought it would be going to a sixth game.

20. mrhabby says:

Price faking an injury..where did this come from.?

21. habsfan0 says:

Connor McDavid is eligible for the draft in 2015.
    The Habs should do everything in their power to get him.
    Even consider trading Desharnais.

• jctremblay says:

You mean, become a lottery team? Looking at the idiotic commentary an early exit from the playoffs has brought out of some Habs fans. I don’t think we’d survive it.

22. Habfan17 says:

I wonder if the Cole for Ryder trade had any impact on Nieuwendyk
    getting fired. That is as bad as Gauthier sending Spacek to Carolina for Kaberle!!

Habfan17

• D Mex says:

Marginally, if at all, IMO.
      It looks pretty much like a wash to me, except that Cole had the reputation of going to the net.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

23. commandant says:

I’m still waiting for Gauthier’s end of season press conference.

From his first season.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

24. Say Ash says:

I think we have to take gorges’ answers one cliche at a time

25. Ton says:

just watch we will trade our 1st rounder this year for someone else’s first rounder plus Pleks/markov/moen one of those guys and move up in the draft! or our first rounder coupled with a second and one of those players for a key hockey players……..don’t ask who but something will happen on draft day!!!

26. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Geoff Molson will be at presser tomorrow,as well.
    He did get revenues from 3 playoff home dates,which is 3 more than last year…still he has to be somewhat disappointed.

It would also be somewhat interesting if Michel Bergeron was there. Maybe can pursue his theory that Price was faking his injury.

• Ton says:

easy don’t take it to the easiest conclusion………….he raised the fact that goalies seldom get hurt in the playoff…………he can question his heart…….he was a good coach! But he did not say Price is faking his injury! If he riding a bull next week what will you think?

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think so since it says the press conference will be on Monday and tomorrow is Saturday!

Habfan17

• jedimyrmidon says:

The seriousness of the accusations towards our beloved team are a bit unsettling.

27. Habs Requiem says:

Koooch7800 – Re: Motivating Price? Really…you think a guy who was going out there with an injured groin and giving it his all needed motivation?? Yes, there were some goals that Price would love to have back for sure. A few of those by being misplayed by him – goalie error. But I’m also sure that a few of those goals that we were blaming him on were just not possible due to the limits of his injury. I thought he gutted it out pretty good. If we are talking motivation…why aren’t we talking DD and his invisible act or Markov and his I don’t want to handle the puck act and yes Plex too for the zero offense, I know MaxPac was playing with a separated shoulder but his play this year was hardly encouraging as a “Power Forward” while playing on the perimeter and Josh Gorges…maybe the Sharks knew something after all about his lack of defensive play. So instead of burying Price and saying he is the one that needs to be “motivated” I say look around the dressing room there are more worthy candidates to choose first.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

Habs meet media tomorrow. Over/under Gorges hogs the microphone the longest?

• habsfan0 says:

Will Price be there?
      Or will he be bronco busting at some rodeo in BC already?

• jrshabs1 says:

Maybe 10- 20 of us fed up cynic’s should go to the presser..demand answers. I have to live and work in the Ottawa valley in which leaf nation also encompasses. I’ve had to answer tough questions all week, can’t forget about all the ridicule either. I want answers dammit! lol…kinda.

Go Habs Go!!

• CalgaryHab says:

I don’t envy you. I don’t think I’ve met a sens fan out here. I’m sure they’re annoying

• jctremblay says:

Lived in Ottawa for 22 years. You have a very small contingent of very intense fans. Most Sens fans I encountered were boring, gov’t employee types. Couldn’t tell you anyone on the team other than Alfie and Neil and whomever the latest goaltender was. Not the kind of fans who really care the day after a crushing playoff loss. I went to 10-12 games a year just before and during their contending years and found they needed to constantly pump the crowd to “get excited” . If they left it to them, it’d be a tomb most nights.

• Strummer says:

he’s been a non-stop cliche-spewing machine in recent weeks

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

@Front… I wonder if Markov purposely chose to play for Vityaz, because of the same factors you’ve mentioned.

30. jrshabs1 says:

I implore all media types at the Habs season ending post mortem press conference especially those from our very own HIO to ask the tough questions. an example question would be:
    ‘Putting the regular season aside, are you Mr. Bergevin happy with the Habs outcome in the playoffs?’ Another question could be:
    ‘Now that you have been the GM of the Habs for nearly a year and have seen 1st hand the weaknesses of your team will you address these weaknesses in the off season?’ Another question could go along these lines:
    ‘On more than one occasion this year the Habs were physically out matched and some might say humiliated on the ice, what are you going to do Mr. Bergevin to bolster your line up to align with the rest of the NHL and more importantly your own division?’ Or, a question like this could be asked:
    ‘You have committed to Carey Price as your franchise goaltender, Carey struggled at times this year, the defense in front of him are not the most physical bunch. Does Carey Price need big physical defense in front of him to be truly successful in this league?’

Go Habs Go!!

• habsfan0 says:

How about: “Why did you deem it necessary to extend David Desharnais in midseason when there was absolutely no rush to do so? How would you describe his play after he signed the extension? Did you place ANY pressure on Michel Therrien to constantly play him after the extension was signed,even though it was apparent to everybody that Desharnais wasn’t playing well?”

• Habs Requiem says:

DD’s play after signing the extention….look at one of those bar graphs where you seea nice bump and then a huge nose dive right off the page.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

• Timo says:

I would not bet any money on it. Habs media types, including HIO is just as complacent as the management that is running this team.

31. davecessna says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how this team is going to be any better next year. The beatings they took throughout the end of the season and the playoffs will kill their confidence going in to next season because they illustrate the lack of “what have you” argument. I’m going to say it again like I did last year, they need to tank hard for at least 3-4 years and draft *well*. See Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. Once we have our nucleus, we follow their examples to continue remaining competitive. The bandwagon fans will all fall off, but we could draft a powerhouse here. Trevor Timmins is an amazing scout. Nothing is set in stone, but I give it our best chance to ever win a Cup again.

Bottom line: We are not competitive right now. We overachieved (again) like crazy this season through 40 games. Then, as we’re called around the conference, the “mouthy midgets” got taken down several pegs.

32. nunacanadien says:

If Condon is the answer to Price then our goal tending future is even more dismal. And then we keep signing small rookies who grow smaller it seems! What has Montreal ever done to deserve this?

33. daveho29 says:

Part of me is glad it’s over, now I can enjoy the rest of my summer without caring who wins the cup, and it is summer here in BC already :)

34. The Jackal says:

Lol did I just read a comment by nuna sayin to trade PK???? Nuna, lay off the meth, maybe seek help or something because that’s whacko talk.

• nunacanadien says:

Hey Montreal does not respect PK. If Montreal keeps wasting its future on midgets and washed up goalie prospects like Price, Subban deserves better! Trade Emelin too! Molson and Bergevin have given up on the habs. They keep signing wimpy small forwards and even more wimpier defense. Let’s stop wasting the future of great players like Subban. If Price had played for any other team he would be a superstar instead of the head case a pathetic midget smurf team has done to him! Smurfidians they should change the name! And Bergevin should be called the great midget GM, smurf coach Therrien, and most of all wasting a talent like Emelin and Subban on small washed up players. And you dare call this a team?

• Habfan10912 says:

I don’t know where to begin so I won’t. I’ll take a buddies advise and just smile and wave. :).

• John Q Public says:

Clarification: Papa Stroumph Therrien

• Timo says:

I am against ridding Habs of Subban and Emelin on the basis of an everlasting hope that maybe once this organization will bring in some competent management and coaches. It’s a dream that will unlikely to get fulfilled but I still want Subban to play for the Habs. With him the team is a little less embarrassing.

• No.4isNo.1 says:

I think in honour of the season we just had the moderators should give you a time out until your behavior improves. I am not asking you to be blind to their faults but at least appreciate what has been accomplished.

Better times are ahead

35. HammerHab says:

DD and Halpern lead the team in +/- in the playoffs with +1….looks like DD earned his contract afterall !!!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

Smartie! :)

• Habfan17 says:

Yeah right, so what!! DD is supposed to put up points Halpern is paid to stop the other team from putting up points. DD did not elevate his game when it counted most. I’d rather he had 5 points and was minus 1 or at least that he played like Gallagher and fought his way through checks to try to get something done.

Habfan17

• HammerHab says:

but but…..+1 man…. plus 1!!!!

(they need to make a sarcastic smiley…..)

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

36. Hobie Hansen says:

2013 Season/Playoff Evaluation

Heroes: Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Prust, Emelin, Bourque, Tinordi, Subban, Eller, Budaj

Average: Pacioretty, Markov, Plekanec, Armstrong, White, Gionta, Bouillon, Price,

Zeros: Desharnais, Diaz, Weber, Gorges, Moen, Halpern, Ryder, Kaberle
    ****************
    “It’s frightening to contemplate how this undersized team would fare in a seven-game series against St. Louis, L.A. or Chicago..”

–Mike Boone

• habs_54321 says:

halpern wasn’t THAT bad he did his job should at least be in the average column! agree with the rest more or less

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree actually.

****************

–Mike Boone

• kalevine says:

I don’t think Weber was given much chance, not that I’m saying he would have proven you wrong

• Habfan10912 says:

I thought Weber should gave been used myself but he’s really more of the same back there.

• Kooch7800 says:

and he has playoff experience. I even think he had a goal against the B’s a few years ago.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• kalevine says:

well for that matter Kaberle could have been used, again not that it would have necessarily helped, althougbh the power play could have gotten a boost. I think it was quite classless to sit him to prevent him from getting injured so he could be bought out. Might have been a bit of karma there. Even if he was injured, there is no shortage of buyout candidates on this team

• Ron says:

Good list Hobie, I agree with your choose of placement of players. The categories I like although using the ZERO caption is abit harsh IMO. Those players were placed into their roles by MT and although they played well below our expectations most served their purpose. Each to a different degree. Maybe well below average, not zeros. JMO

• Habfan10912 says:

Similar thought as yours, Hobie. Maybe an extra zero for Ryder and DD.

• coutNY says:

I don’t agree because you are blurring the season with the playoffs. Really, Ryder was a zero during the season? or Markov Pacioretty or Plekanec averge during the season? Its a broad brush to be painting. Maybe agree on most if it were a playoff only assertion. Without some of these guys early efforts this team would have been in the same position as last year.

37. Say Ash says:

Well, just cancelled my RDS – and 10 other french channels I never watch. I swear, if there were a politician whose platform only consisted of a-la-cart cable channels, he’d win by a landslide.

• Luke says:

Oh, good call.
      Didn’t even think about it.

“merci!”

(Ohh, it hasn’t been a total loss after all!)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thanks for the reminder.

****************

–Mike Boone

• Ron says:

You have been watching alot of USA news I see and going with it. That is what one is planning to introduce to the House or Senate I believe as per news casts the last few days.

• Strummer says:

I’m right behind you on that move.

Although the TVA channel showed Leauge Socce,r their season is also over

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HammerHab says:

its coming. cable companies have been talking about it for the last little while….not publically of course

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

38. DAVE. N says:

With the new Salary Cap and a probable Kaberle buyout,the only way Mtl will get the #4-5 D-men they need, and a top Center/Wing that can pot 20 dirty goals will be through trades, and I think it will include :alot of draft picks,combined with Moen, Gorges,Patches,Beaulieu. IMO…

• jedimyrmidon says:

Good thing you aren’t making the decisions then…

• DAVE. N says:

Interesting; Wasn’t deciding, was an opinion (that’s the IMO part). I’d love to read what others with more insight may have. I didn’t include Armstrongs and Ryders that won’t be resigned; or DD’s and Prices long term commitments…but included players that would generate interest if packaged with a draft pick.. The salary cap is going to restrict alot of teams that will be restructuring the way they try to upgrade.

• Habfan10912 says:

Dave, keep watching HIO during the summer. We have some real experts in amateur scouting. Folks like Commandant, Loonie, Chris among others always offer great insights in draft eligible players and other players for trade analysis. This is a great place to get educated opinions. CHeers

• jedimyrmidon says:

Sorry, I didn’t respond well to your phrasing, which made it seem like you thought that a lot of the future (“a lot of draft picks”) as well as roster players and blue chip prospects should/would need to be shipped off.

So Joe Sakic was smart enough not to take the GM position with the Avalanche. I am sure when he saw his buddy Joe get canned in Dallas, and then watch the struggles of Stevie in Tampa he realized, hey I think I will take the Exec. VP title, that seems like much better job security.

The deadline deals that didn’t happen. So obviously MB didn’t know we would be without Emelin for the playoffs. So it would have helped had he brought more help in on the blueline. Would it have been enough though? I am not sure…It sucks to be out of the playoffs, but our rebuild was not damaged. An important offseason awaits.

41. Habs_4_ever says:

Last episode of 24CH on RDS on Saturday night. I wonder what/how much they will be covering. I liked the series. It didn’t have the same production value as HBO’s 24/7 but it was still enjoyable.

I don’t know if they will continue the series next season but if they do maybe the show will keep getting better, and hopefully so will the Habs.
    ————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

• habs_54321 says:

the show is brilliant marketing it helps sell the product to the fans and helps them relate to management and the coaches to better understand certain decisions and thought process. i expect it will be back next year

• habsfan0 says:

Habs finished the season 4-9.
      I believe most of 24CH’s last episode will be bleeped out.

42. L Elle says:

@Maritime Ron, please don’t ever quote Denis Gauthier on anything.

2 years ago, he was on PK’s case every single show. He said if the team had 10 rules, PK would break 11. He said he got on his teammates nerves, and would probably never fit in because no one could stand him.

Last night, he said there were “people”, not mentioning himself, that were wrong about PK. What a hypocrite. Also an ex-goon who won’t admit he was one.

Everything he says shoud be taken with a grain, no barrel of salt. By the way, he has adamantly defended DD, more hypocrisy.

But he did play in 12 NHL playoff games in his career, 6 with Calgary and 6 with Philly, so clearly he knows everything there is to know about playoff hockey.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yup, gotta take whatever the AC says with a grain of salt. They clearly have an agenda. So many of them thought (and maybe still think) that Eller will be nothing more than a 3rd line center while praising DD for doing literally almost absolutely nothing.

• kalevine says:

you know who else was on PK’s case, as recently as last year? MT, on AC

• Maritime Ron says:

Why shoot the messenger?
      Deal with the message.

2 years ago, PK needed to be dealt with and any pro will tell you, his “Growth” is far from over – one of the reasons i want the Habs to pursue and overpay Rob Scuderi.

Perhaps he can flash his Cup rings in Suban’s eyes and convince him what it takes to win a Cup from his days in Pitt and last year in LA.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Two years ago, PK was oozing talent potential.

• L Elle says:

Not shooting the messenger Ron. Sorry, if it came out that way. I’m at work, and trying to get thoughts out fast.

But, Denis Gauthier, imho, is not a viable source to quote. He routinely disses some players, and omits those that need to be called out. Everybody could see PK’s talent 2 years ago, as an ex-player, why couldn’t he? Methinks he is a jealous guy.

• habs_54321 says:

scuderi would be a good fit i dont like naming names to target in free agency because there is too many variables but i think he would fit the bill of what we need on D

43. jedimyrmidon says:

Price this, Price that. The only reason people like to analyse him is that he is one man while the D corps is composed of 6 rotating in and out.

For some reason, the onus is on Price to inspire confidence in his D (and yes, ideally that would be the case), BUT what about the D inspiring confidence in Price? Hardly ever mentioned, but is probably the most important factor.

If Price doesn’t have confidence in his D then he probably doesn’t know where to position himself for fear of leaving a guy a good angle on the net because the D is bumbling around in their own zone. Anderson was giving up a great number of quality rebounds, but there was no one near the blue paint. The Sens, on the other hand, scored so many goals off of rebounds and screens.

44. frontenac1 says:

Markov back to KHL timo? When he has playing for Vityaz Checkov nobody touched him. He had Trevor Gillies,Kip Brenna and Jablonski ridin shotgun for him.Three of the toughest enforcers in the world.Hey now there”s an idea!!!Saludos!!

45. jrs10069 says:

Imagine ottawa folks complaining about refs…thought it was just us mtl whiners.

Cost us at least 1 game, perhaps 2.

Reason we lost in order
    goaltending
    refs
    coaching (game 4 MT made some bad calls)
    Injuries
    size / stamina

jrs10069

• Luke says:

That article is a month old!

Did outBrain recommend it?

• jrs10069 says:

I know, my point was as soon as you complain about refs, you’re a whiner. I live in ottawa and all i heard was “stop whining”…pointed out that it’s easy not to whine when you’re getting the calls.

Zebras were a joke all series.

jrs10069

• Luke says:

My joke was about OutBrain.

Sorry, I should have also said the NHL Refs are brutal.
          I’m not talking from a ‘they screwed us!’ point of view.
          I’m talking from an every team in the NHL POV.

• jrs10069 says:

I agree, they are a joke. The league needs to do something to fix the situation. I like cherry’s idea, 1 ref only at least then you get some consistency.

jrs10069

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Reasons we lost:

1. Injuries
      2. Injuries
      3. Injuries
      4. Luck
      5. Refs (game 4 was just stolen)
      6. Goaltending
      7. Coaching
      8. Size

• Habfan10912 says:

Much closer to my assessment.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, I’d agree more with this. ^^^

Modifying it a little: Reasons we lost in FIVE

1. Refs (Game 4 was the Habs’)
        2. Luck (Armstrong only had to pot that shorty and the story probably would have been quite different)
        3. TONS of injuries (of course, the critics like to ignore this one)
        4. Goaltending
        5. Defensive play that doesn’t keep the other team on the perimeter
        – this is a combination of coaching and team composition

• jrs10069 says:

Puck Luck…should have included that one. We hit posts, they get cookie bounces onto sticks in the crease

jrs10069

• nunacanadien says:

Simple. We lost one tough guy in Emelin and it showed Montreal for the wimpy team and undersized team it is and what a waste of money we pay Price to be a #1 goalie when he still has 4 more years to mature, when Price should be a backup instead.

• jedimyrmidon says:

#1 reason the Habs lost was goaltending? Really. Price was bad in the 3rd period of Game 1. Game 2 he played great. Game 3 was a COMPLETE TEAM meltdown. Game 4 was the refs. Game 5 was Budaj, and he wasn’t that great.

Just because they didn’t play like Anderson doesn’t mean that goaltending is the #1 reason why the Habs lost. For example, if the offense stepped up and buried more of their chances, the story is very different. If Armstrong pots that shorty last night, it’s probably a very different story. Or if the D didn’t allow the Sens to crash the net so often, then things are different.

And the play of the team in front of the goaltender isn’t really mentioned by you other than ‘size/stamina’ as the last factor.

• jrs10069 says:

Meant the difference in the play of the goaltenders. Price / Budaj (who was horrendous) vs Anderson, #1 reason we lost. Was at the game last night, you could smell the shit in Budaj pants from the whites.

jrs10069

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’d say Ottawa’s defensemen coupled with the Habs’ reluctance to go to the net made life MUCH, much easier on Anderson. So many of the Habs goals were snipes whereas Ottawa had a combination of snipes, shots through screens and rebounds and even a kicked in goal that counted.

Safe to assume MB will shave his playoff beard before the presser Monday?

47. Habfan17 says:

The Habs had a better than expected year, but that is normal when you have off ice changes as they did. Since they finished last, teams probably didn’t expect it. With the short season and the changes, the season should be taken with a big grain of salt.

Yes, the Habs had a lot of injured players and Anderson played well enough to allow the Sens to win. That does not excuse some of the other so called best players from not raising their games. This is playoff time and certain players did not raise their level of play. You can throw all the stats you want like DD was only on for one even strength goal against with 70 minutes of ice time. Big Whoop!! This is the playoffs, you need to find ways to score. He did not!! There needs to be that, ” no one will stop me” drive that Richard and the other great playoff performers have. Plekanec does not have it either. The truth hurts and the truth is, unlike Alfredson, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and other players like them, too many of the Habs do not rise to the occasion like they do, or they are not capable.

If you go back to the season when the Habs did well in the playoffs, don’t! That was then, this is now and the players have aged.

I am confident that Bergevin sees and knows what needs to be done. What we saw during this season was not a true indication of what the team is, players always respond to a new coach the first season. Next season will be the test. I for one think there will be changes and some that surprise us! Maybe even shock us.

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a very fair assessment 17. I have come to the realization that can best be summed up by two word. “I hope”.
      I hope MB is the right hire.
      I hope MB sees the things you mention.
      I hope Price is the one.
      I hope MT is the right coach.
      I hope I hope I hope.
      CHeers.

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks 10912! I hope too but also have faith. MB did not mortgage the future in trades at the deadline, he did build a better player development system, and he did bring in some players last summer that helped. I am looking forward to the off season and seeing what he does. Cheers!

Habfan17

• nunacanadien says:

Let’s get real here Montreal, there is only so much Bergevin can do in a system that relies on a board of directors to approve any contract or trade. Geeze, bureaucracy has destroyed the habs. And we bought the pony and dog show of Molson and Bergevin…..look the emperor has no clothes! lol.

48. Luke says:

The Colorado Avalanche are holding a news conference at 3pm et/Noon pt at the Pepsi Center to make an announcement regarding the team’s front office. You can watch it LIVE here on TSN.ca

Man, The Habs are even getting beaten in the battle of press conferences

49. jedimyrmidon says:

I want to see PK at the Worlds (cementing his place on Team Canada).

• Habilis says:

Ditto that. I would also very much like to see Galchenyuk get an invite for team USA. That would be great experience for a kid his age.

50. sprague cleghorn says:

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Maroons take the Cup.

Good-bye Rover! Hockey to become six men aside game.

Georges Vezina: Good, but can he steal a game?

… ‘ow could we forget that?

51. Chrisadiens says:

Scrolling through the comments of the last couple threads leads me to belief that the following comments were inevitable even if we won 3 rounds.

1. MT sucks.
    2. We are too small. We must get bigger.
    3. Price sucks.
    4. We should have traded for more help at the deadline.
    5. MB sucks.
    6. DD sucks. (Although I do agree with this one.)
    7. Gionta should not be captain.
    8. We are not built for the playoffs. (See number 2)
    9. We need a fighter.
    10. It will be another 20 years until the Habs win a cup.

They were in last place a year ago. The Habs had the worst team in the 100+ year history of the Habs last year. Nobody thought we were winning the cup. Not even the most optimistic Habs fans thought we were destined for Lord Stanley. Anything short of a cup is deemed as failure for some fans, but we made tremendous strides and are on the right track towards becoming a contender. Be patient. It doesn’t happen overnight.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• kalevine says:

right now it’s hard to argue that any of those are wrong

• Habfan10912 says:

Really? You can find a logic argument for 1 and 10? I’d love to hear that. Check that! Never mind.

• kalevine says:

for 1, our most abysmal playoff collapses in the last 11 years were under Therrien (Hirricanes 2002, Senators 2013). I never forgave him for the first one, and was disappointed with the hire, but I had to admit he was making me a believer. That all changed in the last month. Same old Therrien, just without the on-camera histrionics

for 10, obviously nobody knows, but, in today’s NHL, you try to win NOW while drafting for the future. The pipeline is full of more skilled small guys that an astute poster pointed out may not be som much unappreciated gems discovered by Timmins as cute muchkins passed over my more realistic scouts. Who are the big forwards coming up? So that doesn’t look good. Lots of dead wood forwards too, with big contracts going nowhere. By the time Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready (and probably before), Gorges, Markov and Bouillon will all be gone. Goaltending – we have put all our eggs in the Price basket and he has rarely played lights out when the chips were down. Spent way too much money on him that could have been spent on a skater or two while hiring inexpensive goaltending that would get the job done just as well.
          We have gotten behind him so much to the point where there is not even allowed to be talk of a prospect at that position. So that takes care of the next 5 years. For the remaining 15, all I can say is
          1) those who ignore the mistakes of yesterday are doomed to repeat them
          2) the team will fill the Molson Center regardless of product
          3) there are 29 other teams, and no evidence that ours is better run than most of them, so statistically speaking the chances are not so good
          4) I hesitate on this one, but I don’t think the league wants the Habs to win. I can’t fathom why, because having the most storied franchise in league history grab the Cup again could be a revitalizing story for the league and its venerability

edit: sorrry I missed your edit not to bother. What’s done is done :)

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a very thoughtful response. I sure hope you’re wrong. There are those two words again. “I hope”. CHeers and thanks.

• twilighthours says:

Wrong. 2009 against Boston was far worse than this or any other recent playoff performance.

• kalevine says:

in response to twilighthours, 2009 was pretty bad, but the team was basically in the tank for the second half of the season and didn’t so much collapse as roll over in the playoffs. there was no single event that led to the defeat. It was the mere act of playing the games. IN 2002 and 2013, there were specific events that contributed to the team going off the rails in a close series. iN 2002 Therrien was directly and solely responsible. THis year he seemed to lose his cool in game 3 and so did the team for the series. I mean, 2008 was pretty bad too, but I don’t remember it as a slap around by the Flyers, more that the scoerers couldn’t shoot straight and Price truly couldn’t stop RJ umberger’s hiccups.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yeah but 2, 4 and 6 are in fact true. :)

52. jols101 says:

A chance at drafting Drouin or MacKinnon or the season and playoffs we just had? Thoughts?

• HabFanSince72 says:

It would require trading PK.

• Luke says:

Season and playoffs.
      It’s far more entertaining.

Remember how brutal the previous year was?

How’s about this:
      Flyers last five years or Edmonton’s?

• piper says:

I’d rather a chance at Seth Jones than loose like we did. Unloading Markov, Gionta, Plek etc. was the way
      i’d have gone. I know you’ll say hindsight but I actually suggested these moves on here after the good start and got ripped a new one by most other posters.
      I know its hard to do something like that in Montreal with the Canadiens but that is what was needed to be done. Too late now. It’s a tough road ahead now for MB.

• jols101 says:

I agree with you piper. Last year was painful because it was so unexpected. This year would have been easier because absolutely no one expected anything from us and finishing 15th in the East was almost expected. One more year of the Tank and adding one more elite prospect and this team would have been ready to go. Having this unexpected success in the regular season and then crashing back to reality didn’t help the long term outlook at all.

• habs_54321 says:

yes it did are you blind? the outlook is far greater than it was last year we are a few tweaks away from being a perrenial contender. you build a winner through culture not by losing

• Luke says:

+27

• jols101 says:

You build a winner through the Draft. If you knew anything at all about hockey, you would know this.

• Luke says:

You build a team by using all methods of team building. You draft, you trade and you sign free agents.
            The one way you do not build a winner is by losing.

If you knew anything at all about hockey, you would know this.

• jols101 says:

And how has that been working out for us over the past 21 years.

Overachieving this year during the regular season will not help us one iota in getting better in the future.

• piper says:

The outlook would have been better had we traded Markov, Gionta and Plek when they were at decent value (early or mid season). They will all be very difficult to trade now after the playoff performances. We will never see the return we could have had in younger players, prospects or draft picks. How did that thrashing they took from Ottawa help develop anything.

• Habilis says:

I have to agree with you, but with one caveat;

The experience of winning games cannot be duplicated. The young core of this team needs to learn how to win and I have to think that this season helped in that regard.

Look at the Oilers. It takes more than just high draft picks to put together a winning club. Going from the basement to competing for a Cup is basically impossible. There needs to be a progression there.

Hopefully, this was the first step in that progression.

53. Habs_4_ever says:

Any news about if Subban will be joining the Canadian national team at the worlds? Or if anyone else from the Habs is joining their national team?

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

54. SteverenO says:

OOPs! posted in the the previous thread— (repeat post here)

Strength down the middle?

Lets look how the Habs centre’s performed in the playoffs this year.

Unfortunately Eller did not get much of a chance to show what he could do playing only about 8 minutes this post season with no goals being scored or allowed while he was on the ice:

Many here are calling for Desharnais’ head, and I have even read that people think he should be “bought out”

In the playoffs DD played 70 minutes at reg strength
    the HABs scored two goals while he was on the ice and allowed one.

His reg season averages were one goal scored every 20 minutes while his line was on the ice and one goal allowed every 19 minutes.
    It is therefore fair to say that he did not make a great contributor on offense, he had an EXCELLENT defensive series, In 5 games his line was only on the ice for 1 goal allowed in 70 minutes.
    The biggest problem was his lack pf production on the PP playing 1 2minutes with NO goals scored, Those that have been reading my posts all season long know that this (lack of PP production) is NOT should surprise nobody , except maybe Therrien.
    Plekanec also played 70 minutes he was on the ice for 1 goal at even strength and the Sebs scored 6 even strength goals while Plek was on the ice. It is fair to say that he underperformed significantly in the playoffs. His regular season averages were one goal scored every 25 minute and one goal allowed every 28 minutes.In the playoffs his offensive productiondropped to onegoal oer 70 minutes and defensively his line wascored against every 12 minutes of ice time.

So just to be clear DD ‘s line was beaten for one goal in 70 minutes and Plekanec’s line was beaten for an even strength goal every 12 minutes.

On the Powerplay ,their number s were similar to what you would expect based on their reg season

Plekanec played 16 minute with the man advantage , the team scored 3 pp Goals. DD played 12 .5 minutes and the team scored NONE.

I have to figure that Plekanec was either hurt ,or just run down and out of gas, like Markov. He may well be another player that could have used the occasional day off during the season.

the other centers:

Halpern was pretty good in the playoffs surprising no one except maybe the coach who used him sparingly. His line was on for 2 offensive goals in 33 minutes and allowed only one

WHite ‘s number dropped defensively, during the season his defensive numbers led the team . The Opponents only scored an average of one goal against every 54 minutes. Unfortunately in the playoffs he was on fir two goals in just over 21 minutes he was on for an average of one goal against every .

Dumont played only 19 minutes in the series and no goals were scored, or allowed while he was on the ice.

Summary :

Plekanec great reg season Horrible playoffs – great on the PP average on the PK
    Desharnais – decent season- Very Strong Playoffs, lousy on the PP
    Eller – awesome reg season- Great on the PP (someone tell the coach) average on the PK
    Halpern: SOolid regseason and very strong playoffs. great on the PK
    Dumont: has potential – strong defensively but not really “tested”

White: -An enigma, could be valuable especially defensively- had a very strong reg season defensiveley very weak offensively, Goit anice goal in the Playoffs, but in my opinion, too erratic to counted on as a regular centerman going forward;

The last centreman on the team is Chucky, and I will post separately about him as he played some center in the playoffs but mostly on the wing in both the reg season and the playoffs.

For now lets just say that his offensive game is awesome, but defensively he needs a LOT of work if he is to play the center ice position.

regards,

Steve O.

• habs_54321 says:

i think white is a keeper he’s our dan carcillo/leo komarov

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I don’t think those stats prove anything (you have to also consider the wingers). Just like last night, throughout these playoffs, how often has Plekanec made perfect passes, and the winger could not put the puck in the net, fanned or just missed, hit a post, or put the puck in Anderson’s bread basket.

Last time I checked, Plekanec and PK lead the team in points…these playoffs.

Maybe he was nursing an injury, but Tomas is still an important piece to this team moving forward, more so than DD.

• SteverenO says:

Plekanec did okay on the PP.
        When your line goes out for a shift you can either win (score a goal) Lose (give up a goal) or draw no goals scored. The stats prove that Plek’s line LOST a lot of shifts Desharnais did not.
        Of course the wingers play a factor, but atthe end of the day perfect passes are not refelected on the score board, It takes goals to win, and a team CAN NOT win unless they score more than the opposition. Plekanec had a horrible series at even strength and on the penalty kill. He was on for 5 of the Sens PP goals in 18 minutes of PK duty. Diaz played 24 minutes on the PK and was only on for 3 PP goals against Halpern played 9 minutes and was on for one goal against.

regards,

Steve O.

• ebk says:

I like DD quite a bit but any valuation system you invent that shows he had a good playoff is fundamentally flawed. He was horrible, the size of sample that you use to base your player evaluations on is way to small.

55. mrhabby says:

People can say all they like about this that and the other thing. Fact is Habs got totally lite up by the Senators in front of a national audience. Thats a cold hard reality that Bergevin and his team i hope feels…blah, blah…

56. Thomas Le Fan says:

My thoughts on the first round exit. Realistically we could have, with couple of bounces, scored first in every game and won the series 4-1 instead of losing it by that margin.
    Craig Anderson was astoundingly good. The Senators, not especially. He will have to continue to play that way or the Sens will be going nowhere. If he does, who knows how far they can go. He can frustrate a team that’s for sure.
    We got pushed around but wouldn’t have been if we had have scored on our chances.
    My feelings on Carey Price. He is a big, positionally sound not especially athletic goaltender. His skills demand a positionally
    sound defensive team that clears the lanes and crease, limits shots and especially controls types of shots allowed to best bring out the strength of its goaltender.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• kalevine says:

I know this positionally sound adjesctive is used a lot with Price? How can you be positionally sound when playing back in your net and dropping to your knees when you spot an opposing sweater?

57. mksness says:

Alright so our defence when healthy was so horrible that it helped us finish second in the conference? i get it now….

how do you all expect a team with eller, price, emelin, gionta, and a injured pacs and prust to win a series? add to that some players were slumping.

• Psycho29 says:

Hey buddy! We don’t like logic and sound reasoning here!!!

;-)

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Yeah and we need three new defenseman… A lot of fans are just clueless.

In my point of view we´re one defenseman short. One big physical defenseman with experience who would play with Subban. The second pair would be Emelin with Tinordi. Big, tough pair and Emelin can also really move the puck. Especially when he plays on the left. Third pair would be Markov and Gorges. Yes, they were disappointing this season but would still be a decent third pair.

Diaz and Beaulieu would be number 7 and 8. Bouillon? Still can´t believe he got one more year. Stupid, unnecessary and unbelievable.

58. Habs_4_ever says:

I’m not sure but I think I would have been less upset If they would have missed the playoffs than I am now about them losing in the first round the way they did.

I wonder what next years team will look like. I hope the new administration is not just feeding us false hope and empty promises.

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

59. Steeltown Hab says:

Another playoff cut short, PK Subban shines ridiculously bright every time the game means something important.

Tell me he isn’t the heartbeat of this team. 2 goals to send us to OT against Boston in 2011. Gets the goal to give us life with our backs against the wall last night.

No one else is deserving of the C when Gionta’s contract is up.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• RiverviewCanadien says:

This past season, PK Subban has shown me exactly what you wrote “the heartbeat of this team”.

I agree completely, his talent level and compete level is off the charts!

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Terrific player but NOT a captain.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Mr. Biter says:

Captain in a few year perhaps, but still immature. Gionta would never have called out a fellow Hab during the game. In the dressing room for sure, but you don’t earn your teammates respect doing that on the ice. Also shows your opponents they’re getting under your skin.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Fransaskois says:

It’s guys like that you want on your team. Another player like that is Eberle, he happens to potentially be available…..

It seems as if Eller gets a lot of respect throughout the room. Gallagher has the passion. Not sure if I like Subban as the head of the team. Give him an A for sure but I think it’ll be another couple of years for him. Maybe he’ll run with it.

60. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Re-post from previous thread

With apolgies to Mr. Boone – About This Season From My Perspective

Pre-Season
    Began with much angst on this site about the wisdom of hiring Michel Therrien, whether to keep or trade PK, and if the Habs could make the playoffs – with many siding on the “no” side. All in all, the most the majority of us hoped for was an improvement on last season (it’s good to aim low), and maybe scraping into the playoffs.

Season/Playoffs – Good Surprises
    Subban – from question mark to Norris Trophy nomination
    Gallagher – from AHL hopeful to Calder Trophy nomination
    Galchenyuk – from OHL sure thing to “did you see that move/can you imagine what he’ll be like in a year or two” all while playing limited minutes in the show
    Emelin – from “Markov carries him” to “he carries Markov”
    Prust – from overpaid to “MVP of the team” discussion
    Bourque – from waste of 3.3 million to one of the most effective, physical forwards
    Eller – from “what are we going to see” to “can’t wait to see more”
    Budaj – from “hope we never have to play him” to “ace in the hole back-up”
    Tinordi – from “it takes several years for big d-men to develop” to late season call-up to stabilize the defence
    Therrien – from “why did we hire this guy….again” to coach of the year talk for much of the year

Season/Playoffs – Bad Surprises
    Desharnais – was expected to continue the upward curve, but seemed to lose his drive & intensity along the way
    Markhov – susceptible defensively with twice repaired knee
    Gorges – significant backward step this year. From possible captain material to possible trade bait.
    Moen – where did he go?
    Price – things seemed to come unglued at the end of the season, and he couldn’t seem to get it together consistently through the playoffs. Say what you want about the defence – Carey seemed lost at times.

Assessment #1
    It was a year full of grand surprises and excitement, that ended in disappointment. No one would have predicted the Habs would do what they did. What happened to them in the end? My personal opinion is that they played at such an incredible level all year, that it was impossible to sustain indefinitely. At the end of the year they could only do it in spurts. Sadly I have to agree with PJ Stock to some extent – the Habs are built for success in the regular season and not the playoffs, but only because the NHL continues to allow it’s referees to change the way they call games in the playoffs, where players are allowed to maul and beat the other team into submission.

Assessment #2
    The current core of players will grow and get better with experience.
    The Habs need a bigger, heavier, more physical crease clearing d-man (or two) to protect the goalie physically and cut down on high percentage scoring opportunities.
    The Habs need bigger, heavier, more physical forwards to establish net presence and wear out the opposition.

Two of these needs could potentially be addressed in the near future through trades/acquisitions. The first will take some time. But I think most of us could admit that hope, and potential to realize that hope is much greater now than it has been for years. Despite the way it ended, the hockey season for Habs fans was a beautiful thing to watch. I for one, can’t wait to see what Bergevin does this summer to build on what he’s got.

61. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Will anyone in the media have the guts and sense of duty to ask the tough questions? Ask Price if he feels he is capable of performing in the playoffs and if he is happy with himself. Did he earn his salary? Ask each player if they are satisfied with their performance in the 1st round. Ask the mgmt. if they have any regrets about the contracts they have handed out thru the season now that they have witnessed the performance of the team and those players in the only season that matters. Ask Bergevin if Timmins has the knowledge and intelligence to bring in the kind of talent that his counterparts have brought to the Blues, Kings, Hawks, Pens, Sens and Bruins. Ask Therrien if he felt he was out-coached. How does a team not score on a 5 on 3 PP after what happened to Eller? Is Gallant an adequate asst. coach and is he qualified to be in charge of the power play? This coach and GM were so busy figuring out what they would say and wear when they went to receive their awards as best coach and GM that they forgot they had assembled a team of frauds and awarded them all big fat juicy contracts. Budaj at $1.5M and Bouillon too. Give the fans a Cup-winner or at least a fearsome and intimidating squad that the rest of the league hates to play against. Selke and Pollock knew how to build champions. These guys know how to dress sharply and give good press conferences but they couldn’t recognize talent if their lives depended on it.

62. Psycho29 says:

Why do I look at that picture of Dion Phaneuf in the “You might also like” section and the first thing that comes to mind is, “FIRE BADDDD!!” ?

63. twilighthours says:

I think I’ll wait to listen to the press conference before I complain about it.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good advise twi. Hoping to hear some information on injuries especially Emelin.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I want to know why Emelin has yet to undergo surgery. Now, he won’t be available until December!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Chrisadiens says:

His knee is still swollen, cant operate yet.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Which means no training camp for him. And no Emelin for start of season. Damn!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Mr. Biter says:

Dr. Baddanoff say’s this is a big problem. Leaves MB in a lurch with no timeline for a return. Does he go out and get another d-man to replace Emelin or pick up another 5/6 d-man to replace him till he returns.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

64. J.J. of Turku says:

FIN-Rus 1-0 20min. :D

Bazinga!

65. Sportfan says:

Is it just me or does postmortem sound depressing?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

66. Maritime Ron says:

I would like to toss this out there for some opinion.

Denis Gauthier from Antichambre played 554 career NHL games + playoffs.
    I enjoy his commentary and don’t believe he is a S-disturber, yet he put an interesting tidbit out there last night and food for thought.

Denis mentioned that he played in Calgary – the Cup finalist Flames in 2004. Looking back, he considered that Flames team a good team, but not great team…yet they had a goalie named Mikka Kiprusoff that made them “Believe” they could win any game.

On the flip side, he mentioned that he played on a better team in Philly that had Robert Esche as their goalie. He mentioned that there was little belief in the goalie-that the team played “afraid” and that they were just waiting for a bad goal or two to happen.

Somewhat surprising was the following – and Denis mentioned that it was his own “personal feeling” (he looked apologetic) and that he wasn’t completely certain yet…
    He believes “… That the way Price played in the Series, that Price did NOT have the confidence of the players and he thought that deep inside, the Habs didn’t have belief in Price.”

It starts at the 3:00 mark of the video

So the questions become:

1) While no player or management would ever go on record with a statement like that, is there possibly some truth to a lack of belief and confidence in Price?

2) Carey is soon to be 26 with a body of work that now spans 6 seasons/310 games along with 30 playoff games.
    With the exception of the 2010/11 season, his body of work has been underwhelming.

* What also must be considered in that 2011 heart breaking playoff loss to the eventual Cup champ Bruins, was that Price lost 3 of the last 4 games in Overtime….in Game 4 at Home when the Habs were leading the Bruins 2-1 in games – at Boston in Game 5 when the series was tied 2-2, then finally Game 7 in Boston giving up 4 goals on 34 shots for an .882 SP.

3) No one knows if Price can rebound and be the Cup winner most believe he can be. He has only won 1 single playoff series to date which was back in 2008.
    Does he have the mental toughness to be that goalie in Montreal – to actually perform at an elite level for an about 25 game post season Cup run?

• johnnylarue says:

I’m also beginning to question Price’s mental toughness. He’s been through a lot, but it’s becoming apparent that it might be wishful thinking to expect him to suddenly become a rock solid, consistent goaltender.

That said, I’d give him a passing grade on his performance vs. the Sens, and would argue that the frustration our forwards felt having to score on Anderson was a bigger factor in the loss than the occasionally deflating goals Price allowed.

Let’s face it–you’re not gonna win many playoff series if you can’t muster more than one or two goals per game.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Johnny

Didn’t you kind of answer your own question?
        Shouldn’t Price be NOW playing like our own version of Anderson and frustrating opposition forwards?

Did you ever get a sense in the Sens body language or mood that they could not score on Price?
        Was there any Sens’ head shaking on some great/miraculous and continuous saves by Price?

The TV panning of both benches told more of a story than any CBC commentator could ever do….

• johnnylarue says:

Don’t get me wrong, Ron (whoa, tongue-twister!)–I can see how those two things are interrelated. And yes, Price is paid to play like a superhero, no question.

But as far as winning in the playoffs is concerned, Anderson is your classic red-hot superhero goalie, while Price was strictly average. I don’t feel like Price, overall, was bad enough to demoralize his own team. Whereas Anderson was definitely good enough to demoralize his opponents.

If that makes any sense. (More coffee, please!!)

• Steeltown Hab says:

Do I question Price a bit? Forsure. Are we in any position to even contemplate not going forward with him for atleast 2 more years? No.

Keep in mind Denis Gauthier also referred to Desharnais as part of the core last night on AC as well.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• leehammer says:

Thoughtful post.

Originally when I saw this Carey Price kid, I thought here is a guy who is just so cool as a cucumber all the time. Perferct for playing in Mtl since he won’t let things get to him. But now based on what we have see, I think he is the Sedin twins of goalies: plays good enough, spectacular sometimes when it doesn’t matter, but just can’t elevate when it’s needed most.

You look at that Craig Anderson. There was absolutely no way he was going to let in a marginal goal last night. He needed to be in top form and he was.

Price is s good goalie, he’s just not a “gamer.” Where’s that drive out there like you see out of Subban and Gallagher. He just looks depressed most of the time, when he should be pissed!

For sure his players had little confidence in him. The result is that they played themselves out of position to deflect or block shots from non-dangerous areas and got caught again and again. You see anyone jumping out to block those Pacioretty shots from a horrible angle. Why would they bother?

Unfortunately, this team is built around Price. But there will be lots of decent free agent goalies this summer. I can’t believe I’m saying it, but I think if you have the chance, you move him. At some point you just have to pull the plug.

• Luke says:

Just imagine how good Price will be when he’s the same age as Anderson.
        For all the love Anderson is getting (and deserves):

Selected by Calgary Flames round 3 #77 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
        Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 3 #73 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

He has played more than 35 games in the NHL three times. The first time was in 09-10 w/ Colorado.

He has played for Chicago, Florida, Colorado and now Ottawa.

Anderson became a full time goalie 10 years after being drafted (for the first time). It’s not like he’s been a dominant NHL goalie since his Draft.

Price actually has more NHL experience than Anderson. (310 to 300). Shall we give Price until he is 31, or do we just let him go now so we can enjoy the “I can’t believe we traded him!” posts?

Price is fine now and he’s not yet hit his prime.

• Maritime Ron says:

Luke. you bring an interesting point to the table.
          When was the last high (Top 5) team drafted goalie a Cup winning goalie that actually made a difference in the outcome???

• jctremblay says:

Great post.. I have no idea if Price will ever be a HOF level goalie but i also know its WAY too early to make a judgement on him. Anderson is reaping the benefits of time..he’s learned his position well. But it didn’t happen overnight. Very few goalies have the skills set, size of Price. If we trade him , we’d be immediately looking for someone LIKE him. Want to spend 10 years searching for a goalie like the Flyers and the Sens? Not me. As the team improves, Price will prove his worth, even if his upside is “very good” instead of “Jacques Plante” I’ll take that.

• Maritime Ron says:

@ leehammer:
        What’s funny is that in all of this, Carey is far from writing his final chapter. No one knows what that will be!

• Maritime Ron says:

@ steeltown
      can you please provide the direct quote – and not out of context, where Denis Gauthier said Desharnais was part of the core?

67. Max says:

Can’t anything be done to make this forum a little more user friendly?Tired of posts getting buried and never seen again.It takes a load of trouble to dig up old posts and the constant new topics leave fresh and interesting discussions hanging in limbo.

True, but at least now we have the incredible “You might also Like” options available. For example I just found out that the NHL and NHLPA is going to discuss CBA and hold discussions for the first time since Oct. 18th 2012. This is good stuff!

68. kalevine says:

just deigned to read the Ottaw Citizen article on the last game. Surprisingly balanced and respectful towards the Habs. They must know there are a lot of Habs fans in the capital

69. Luke says:

I imagine the presser will be a nice little generic ‘good job, better than we thought, too bad about the injuries, key pieces in place, always look to make the team better’ thing.
    May even add in a ‘in a lockout shortened season with new staffing and no camp, proper evaluation was more difficult than in a normal year’.
    It’s not like he’s going to say anything bad about anyone or place any blame.

-ALSO: These outBrain suggestions are beyond ridiculous. They’re laughable.

• Chrisadiens says:

Probably. But maybe not. MB seems like a very emotional and honest guy and it shows up in his pressers sometimes. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear him call out the officials and hold some players accountable without naming names.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Luke says:

I’d love it. It’d make for some great drama, but the NHL seems to have a way of sucking all the life and personality from all it’s members.

Despite how much I may ‘hate’ Brian Burke, the guy usually said few stupid things to liven up a press conference!

Give Price defenceman like Chelios, Robinson, Green, Ludwig etc… and you will see a goaltender do very well in the playoffs as well.

Do people here actually see the defence he had in front of him all year?

Gorges, nice guy, great effort, but struggled bad all season and couldn’t move people away from net.
    Diaz, nice guy, great effort, but struggled after concussion and also fails to move people away from net, does provide nice secondary powerplay time.
    Boullion, nice guy, great effort, but was not an impact dman who could take charge of our zone. He is at best a 7th dman for this team next year.
    Markov, nice guy, great effort, but he needs to be playing power play minutes and only 2nd or 3rd pairing regular minutes for this team.
    Tinordi, this guy will be a stud for a us, but not yet.
    PK – our current stud defenceman.
    Emelin -A good dman who is getting better, and wasn’t around for the swoon, perhaps not a coincidence.

• Timo says:

In that case why pay Price 6.5 mil? With that D Budaj will win the cup for 1.2 mil, or whatever he’s making.

• Derek2 says:

Good point – Price is a decent goal tender but he’s not worth $6.5 mil. That’s Marty F Brodeur territory, and to paraphrase a long ago vice presidential debate between Lloyd Bentsen and Dan Quayle…”you sir are no Marty F Brodeur”

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

• habs_54321 says:

markov subban(norris candidate)
      gorges emelin
      bouillion diaz
      tinordi kaberle
      drewskie weber

thats not a bad D maybe not cup winning worthy but still better than what alot of teams have

• Kooch7800 says:

Markov can’t play top minutes all year long or he will look like he has in the last 15 games

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Kooch. Another contract that over pays for current skill level.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hi Jim, I still think Markov is useful but he needs to be used properly and his minutes need to be managed. Hopefully MT will have other options next year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Timo says:

Out of all these names 3 people need to stay – Subban, Emelin and Tinordi. The rest is garbage. So if Bergevin is at all serious, he needs to find a least 3 big, strong, NHL capable defensemen.

• Habfan10912 says:

Markov as a #5 dman and power play specialist otherwise I agree. The defense is absolutely horrible and MB must focus most of his attention there.

• Timo says:

Markov was gassed after what is normally only half a season. To pay his salary and take a roster spot just for a few minutes on PP (which has other issues as well) is a waste. Thanks for your service Mr. Markov, but time to head back to KHL.

• DAVE. N says:

Two anyway, Timo.. I agree…Way back I questioned keeping Markov, with all the injuries done to his knees. He played well for about 20 games, then fizzled. We forget he played in the KHL pre CBA ; and I’m certain that he left alot of his game there. If I was MB, he wouldn’t be back,unless he was willing to play very limited time, as a 6th or even 7th D.

• mksness says:

alright if that is the case don’t pay price 6.5…. get elliot from st louis and pay him under 2million a year….

And go look at his defencemen! Seriously, do you not see a difference from their D to ours?

• johnnylarue says:

The point being, invest in D, save on goaltending.

I disagree, but give a couple more dman of substance and watch what happens. BUt I am sure most of you people that want Price out of here will eventually get there way, and he will play excellent somewhere else.

Then we can start looking for our next victim. It is the Montreal way.

• johnnylarue says:

I hear what you’re saying, Mr. Burlington, but compare this season’s top 10 goalies to, say, the top 10 from 2 years ago. The list has changed significantly.

I think solid goaltending is an important ingredient, but I just question the wisdom in granting a long-term, expensive contract to a position that’s become increasingly unreliable by nature (or so it seems.)

• mksness says:

outside Pietrangelo and shattenkirk their D isn’t faboulous. they play a lock down defensive system. further more Pietrangelo had a tough season; he played like crap and was a turn over machine for a large part of the year. i would say st louis has a much more aggressive back check than a much better defence

• johnnylarue says:

Totally valid point. I’ve never been a believer in overpaying for goalies, but it seems that especially nowadays even the so-called “elite” goalies in the league can change drastically from one season to the next.

• Kooch7800 says:

The habs D def has a lot to do with how this team went on a downward spiral (more so than Price). Price wasn’t getting any help. I will say though, Price let in some goals that you could not blame the D for. He should have had them.

I don’t know why they resigned Boulion at all. Markov is old and still is useful on the PP but I am worried about him in an 82 game season and playoffs if he was used as much as he was this year.
      Gorges sucked this year for the most part.

Price will get the benefit of good D hopefully with the prospects we have….only problem is that is a few years away. Like you said Tinordi isn’t ready and I agree. They need some help to get them through the next couple years

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habs_54321 says:

at the end of the season the D felt it needed to block every shot because they didn’t trust the goalie to make the save that is the number 1 reason for the slump towards the end of the regular season.

• mksness says:

DD only had a bad year because he didn’t have lucic and malkin playing with him…. pleks would be so much better with bobby ryan and rick nash….

you guys need to see how much better our smaller players would be with superstars infront of them. excuses…. stop this blind protecting of price and saying he is some demi god being slowed down by junk infront of him. i really like price but superstars make players around them better.

• johnnylarue says:

Too true.

Any starting goalie can lose his way, and if he doesn’t have a D corps in front of him capable of tightening things up, blocking more shots, etc. while he rebuilds his confidence, things can snowball very quickly.

Not making excuses for our Golden Boy, but to be fair the circumstances –high stakes defensive system, soft, inconsistent defencemen–certainly did not make his job any easier.

• habsfan0 says:

So…you’re saying being a nice guy with a great effort isn’t enough?

Hmmm…
      No wonder I’ve never won a Stanley Cup!

• Habfan10912 says:

The biggest weakness in thus team was the blue line. When Emelin went down it showed just how bad it was.

• HEY! Enough already Price lover! Oh wait……APPLAUSE

OT;

Look at every single Vezina winner and then look his defense and coaches system. Except for maybe Dominic Hasek, and maybe Beezer in his rookie year,every other winner had a solid team in front. As I look at the list of winners, I am still amazed at Fuhr winning in 88, odd choice.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• mksness says:

then he is not a super star elite goalie like every one claims.

great players make teams better, not wait for a better team to bring them to the next level.

Martin Brodeur was a great goalie, who had great defencemen his whole career. Scott Stevens, Niedermeyer, then you had all those big defensive studs like Daneyko.

Just look at Rinne in Nashville this year, he is still a great goalie, rip apart his defence and he becomes a beatable goalie, because of the chances given up.

• mksness says:

uh hu… i agree but don’t call some one elite until he shows it. i think carey is a very good goalie just not making excuses why he’s not elite yet

71. Habfun says:

I must say, I live in Ottawa and I find the Senator fans a little annoying, actually some of them a lot annoying!!!
    I will never be a fan of the senators, NEVER!! I get thier crap all the time and these fans actually think it’s thier right to harass me because we live in Ottawa and they think I should cheer for my home town team.
    I am 56 and have been a Hab fan all my life!! I WILL NEVER CHANGE!! Actually, I go to more games at the Bell Centre tha in Ottawa.
    Habs have taken a big step this year and I am sue MB will make some changes and we will be even better.
    I am proud of my team and can’t wait for next year.
    for now Go ABS! (anybody but Senators).

It\\\’s all about the CH

72. Small_Town_Boy says:

MB needs to persue Roy like a fox on a rabbit. Roy would make Price the Goalie he was born to be – a “Thoroughbred”!

Dat’s wha me tinks

73. Kooch7800 says:

I would imagine the presser will go something like this…..

We went from last place in the East to first in our division and 2nd in the conference. Praise MT and the team for their hard work and the culture change. The playoffs were a bonus even though they were dissapointing.
    There will be blame on injuries but he likes the core of the team and does feel the need for some changes in some areas.

He will reassure his faith in Price. Within the next month though I bet we have new goalie coach.

I don’t know even why they hold these things

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• mksness says:

new coach? that would be something

• Kooch7800 says:

I have a feeling they will just to try and motivate Price. Price is their goalie but he wasn’t a strong in the playoffs as he needed to be. Our D does suck but there def was some goals that he should have had.

I forgot to mention he will praise the play of the kids

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• mksness says:

our D could not have been that bad if we finished second in the conference…. our D was never a problem during our good streaks.

i think the team ran into injuries and lacked depth(especially in the playoffs) but our D isn’t that bad.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t know about that though. we only lost Emelin on D to injury and our older guys like Markov and Boulion started to show their age near the end. Diaz had a great start but the team continued without him just fine. He didn’t really get his game back when he returned. I would expect he would be better next year but I think having Markov for an 82 game season plus playoffs he needs to play a lot less

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Did you watch the games since Emelin got hurt?

• mksness says:

burly, weren’t you one of those who said emelin won’t be missed? maybe wasn’t you but i thought he wasn’t a big loss so everyone said

i’m not angry against this team losing in the playoffs. too many injuries to win.

No was not me, Emelin to me is almost as valuable as PK. Other forwards in the league feared his hits. Once he was gone, it was free entry in the zone. He is integral in my opinion. I realize he has other weaknesses, but the fact he put fear into forwards and distracted them by getting them off their games, was huge.

We need another Emelin!

Which parts will be spoken in French and which in English?

• Timo says:

A tear or two maybe?

“I am proud of these guys… . They did so much more that we expected… . They are heroes. They gave their 110% and I could not have asked more from them or my coaching stuff… “

• Timo says:

Will also be spoon fed all the lame questions from the comfortable, entrenched media types to make him and his decisions look good.

74. twilighthours says: