Bergevin ‘glad’ to sign Pacioretty; Subban talks ‘cordial’

bergevin_001web

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin met with the media Tuesday afternoon in Brossard to discuss the six-year, $27-million contract extension he gave forward Max Pacioretty late Monday night.

Pacioretty’s current deal still has one year to run, with the extension to begin following the 2012-13 season and run through 2018-19. Pacioretty would have been a restricted free agent with arbitration rights at the end of the coming season.

Bergevin was also asked Tuesday about the ongoing contract negotiations with restricted free-agent defenceman P.K. Subban, and the GM described the talks as “cordial.”

“He’s a good young player, there’s a lot of things that come into play,” Bergevin said. “There’s potential there for sure.

“Out of respect for P.K. and his agent, I don’t want to talk about (the negotiations). It’s an ongoing process. We’ll get around to it in time.”

Pacioretty spoke with Montreal reporters on a conference call Tuesday afternoon and said he was hoping to get a longterm contract extension.

“It was something that wasn’t available with the old management situation,” Pacioretty said from his home in New Canaan, Conn. “I didn’t know if the new GM was willing to negotiate mid-contract. As soon as they said they wanted to get a deal done, obviously I wanted to play in Montreal and wanted to get it done as soon as possible.”

1. Boomer says:

“If my uncle had tits he’d be my aunt”
    Best…post…ever.
    hats off HH
    I have no clue where that came from but I love it.

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
    Hobo with a laptop

• Boomer says:

just to clarify I love the post, not your big chested uncle ;) though I’m sure he’s a lovely man

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

2. SmartDog says:

I’ve spent my whole career in communications. I love the challenge of reading between the lines and I think I do it well.

But when Bettman says this:
    “It’s clear to me that they didn’t put it together in an hour or two, and as a result we’re going to need to take a little bit of time to evaluate it,” Bettman said.

The phrase “it’s clear they didn’t put this together in an hour or two” is a very odd one. It seems like a back-handed compliment, an insult really. But what is he referring to?

I suppose it could be just a stab at the journalists as in “I just got this a couple of hours ago, it took a long time to put together, how can you expect me to assess it so quickly”. But that would be boring. Consistently rude, but boring.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t respect Gary Bettman very much, he’s a master of double-speak and condescending to the fans (“Hey Winnipeg, don’t screw this up, we need sellouts or else”), but on this one I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I took it as his dickish way of stating that it’s a thoughtful, reasonable proposal that the PA put a lot of work in and merits consideration.

• wildwilly says:

I read his comment as “Who are they to suggest anything? I suppose I will read it because they seem to have made an effort.”

• I just think he’s just trying to compliment the players for coming up with a well put together proposal. My two cents.

I’m trying to Telio, we are Teliopost.com. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Except when Boston wins the Cup. Then we try really hard to pretend it never happened.

3. HabFab says:

A video of Malcolm Subban from the Team Canada U20 camp, of course a part of it is on PK;

4. Hobie Hansen says:

Great news about Pacioretty. I’m sure Subban will follow shortly. Subban’s agent is playing hardball and the Canadiens are probably stating he’s not worth HUGE money yet. They’ll hopefully meet somewhere in the middle at around $4 mill per, in my humble opinion.

I just hope that the new CBA keeps teams and rosters as tightly balanced as they are now. Before the last lockout, teams like the Leafs and Rangers could afford to carry two or three or even more quality players than the Canadiens.

It used to piss me off that Toronto could just retool and add guys like Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Leach. Under the last regime in Montreal, before the lockout, the Canadiens spent a good chunk less than the Leafs and it showed in the win and playoff column.

I know the Canadiens are in better financial shape with Molson at the wheel but I figure a few teams will be able to spend more and pull away from the pack. Hockey stinks like that!

So hopefully the salary cap or revenue sharing keep the teams as close to even as it is now!

• I’d love to sign him for 4,5 mil for 8 years, get it out of the way. Which side do you think would disagree to that? Honest question.

5. boing007 says:

One Globe & Mail hockey fan’s take on the CBA talks:

Accept less.
    Hello! Can anyone please justify to me one single reason that marginally talented hockey players are making millions to begin with?
    People looking for a cure for cancer are earning far less than most of these guys – who earn millions playing a game of mostly slamming other players into the boards.

I love hockey, but seriously, does anyone actually believe that if push came to shove and the only other choice some of these players had was to get an everyday job, that they wouldn’t happily play a “game” for $100,000? In a heartbeat they would.

Why do the average and less talented players need to be paid millions?
    Better yet, why do fans accept this? It would be a cold day in hell before this lad dropped $150 to watch three 20 minute periods of this.

Meanwhile your average senior citizen gets barley enough to survive on in his or her golden years yet athletes are crying over a slight reduction of their millionaire salaries? Sorry, I can’t empathize. Not one iota. It is crazy that these people earn so much money.

My sentiments exactly.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• wjc says:

Boing 007, when you are employed in a multi -billion dollar industry you get paid accordingly.

wjc

• boing007 says:

How do you think they got those billions? Gouging the fans.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• commandant says:

If the players all made 100K each… the tickets would still be the same price, the Owners would just have a lot more profit.

The salaries don`t set the ticket price.

The supply and demand for tickets sets the price.

Hence why tickets are more expensive in Montreal than Florida, when Florida players are getting paid similar dollars.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

Boing007, How exactly do you gouge the fans. Do you hypnotize them, do force them at gun point, do you threaten their family if they do not buy tickets and over priced merchandise and pay-per-view.

If you buy in and then say you are being gouged, well I am speechless. They get those billions by giving you what you crave. You can find other amusements and entertainment if you had the will.

You know if you stop buying the guy behind you will just take your spot.

The Canadiens are just a form of entertainment for the masses that need a distraction.

wjc

• boing007 says:

You know if you stop buying the guy behind you will just take your spot.

You mean the guy behind me that makes over 100 K a year? Who might even get free corporate tickets?

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• REB says:

To Boing007 – And the wealth envy surfaces!

• Verge says:

Partly by gouging the fans on ticket prices, beers at the game and merchandise, but mostly from advertisers. Note the fact that even the ICE has ads now, let alone the boards and all of the displays in the arena. Add to that the commercials aired during both TV and radio broadcasts, and you can imagine how much junk food and crap beer these people are selling! Billions of dollars worth.

If you want to make an impact on the NHL, don’t stop buying tickets. Stop buying the crap they’re selling (McDonald’s, Miller Genuine Draft, whatever…). That’s where the money is.

If you don’t have time to do it right, you don’t have time to do it twice.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Tough for those senior citizens having to survive on barley.

• punkster says:

Travel while you’re young. Go as far in school as you are able. Eat healthy. Drink moderately. Don’t smoke.

If you follow this simple advice your golden years will be tolerable.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• LA Loyalist says:

Sigh.

Should The Beatles have worked for $100k a year when the record companies were making cajillions?

Why shouldn’t the players, who have worked very hard their whole lives to get to the NHL, and most of whom will have quite short careers, not participate fairly and fully in the revenues their entertainment generates?

If that revenue wasn’t there, then fine, they would play for less. Hell I pay to play, because I love the game. But if the revenue is there, they should participate fairly.

Do you work for 10 bucks an hour? If you have a 4 year degree and a post-graduate degree that you worked hard for I don’t think so.

Think before you post. I know that’s a lot to ask around here, but try it.

If my uncle had tits he’d be my aunt.

7. JohnBellyful says:

Perhaps those ‘cordial’ talks between MB and PK could use some cordial to cinch a deal sooner.
    Don’t dicker or bicker, use liquor, it’s quicker.

8. accp says:

Training camp is about trying things. why don’t they try.

Max-Pax Pleks Gionta
    Bourque DD Cole
    Gomez Eller Armstrong
    Moen White Prust

Not that I liked him whole lot before, but I like MB less and less with each passing day Subban is not signed. Habs finally have a true star player in a making and once again, inept management and moron of a coach will run that star out of town.

• habsfan0 says:

I actually believe PK will be a Hab for life. Patience, Timo.

• thepiraterobert says:

holy smokes – why so negative – we are only in August….
      let’s work on the positive vibes from here drifting into the dressing room and wafting down to the bench… MB has done some good work – let’s see what the season brings before walking him to the gallows.

c’est le but!
      Bob in Ottawa

• LA Loyalist says:

Timo, I am usually on your side of the hand grenade, but let’s give MB a chance. The contracts these days are complex, there is even less pressure now to get it done given that the season is unlikely to start on time, and finally I give MB huge credit for taking care of Mighty Max and for making sure we drafted Alix G.

Yes the two elephants in the room are P.K. and dumping Gomez, those are two tests he has to ace to win over the most cynical among us.

And if, as some fear, P.K. gets run out of town, well, I’ll be right there with you with the pitchforks and torches.

We have been through years of hell, and maybe we’re all a bit battle fatigued, but I for one am willing to be a bit patient with MB, this will be a rebuilding year, there is no way around it.

• wjc says:

Season will start on time.

Gomez and P.K. are going no where.

You have no idea what going through hell is, if you think a hockey teams losing a few games is “living through hell.” It is simply a game.

Battle fatigued……..hilarious, some day when you find out what real pain is, you will look back and be embarrassed.

wjc

• DearyLeary says:

Drew Doughty wasn’t signed until late September last year, if I remember correctly.

Give it a rest, PK will get signed. I also think it’ll be a long-term deal. There isn’t any threat of an offer sheet because Montreal has the financial weight to match anything offered (won’t have the stress that Nashville had), and even the cap scenario is easy to navigate because it’s as easy as loaning out Gomez to a European squad and tell him to go have a nice vacation. PK will be wearing Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge for a long time, and likely the rest of his career.

I do share your concern about Therrien, but I feel he’s a stopgap waiting for Quenneville to get chased out of Chicago (or another option that hasn’t been considered yet).

We have the time for that stopgap because we won’t be pushing as a contender for at least two years. Guys like Galchenyuk, Tinordi, and Beaulieu aren’t likely to make the jump to the NHL this year. When those three (and guys like Leblanc and Gallagher) are ready to jump into the limelight and take on big roles this team will start rounding into form.

With PK, Price, and Patches signed longterm we have a solid core of three young potential all-stars to go with some strong veterans in Gorges, Markov, Plekanec, and Cole. All of whom have some term on their deals. This season we might make the playoffs, given Markov’s health (big IF, I know), but we’ve got a bit of a logjam of prospects that came up to Hamilton this year that will be ready to make an impact in a couple of years.

• jrshabs1 says:

Timo the terrible is back in the house….

Go Habs Go!!

• Lizardking89 says:

The more I read your posts the more I like YOU less and less. For f sake the guy is a good GM can’t you see that?

• LA Loyalist says:

Come on dude, present a decent argument. MB has been GM for how long? So far so good, but the jury is going to be out for a long time yet.

• Lizardking89 says:

Yes I agree I just hate people who come on here and piss and moan about the GM when it’s unwarranted. IMO he’s done a great job so far. I think the real indication for how good (or bad) he’ll be is when he makes his first trade. Up until this point and time he’s been pretty damned good.

• wjc says:

Timo, are you like 12 years old? Running Suban out of town, where do you get this baloney. Inept management, how about inept posters. Start being more positive if you want to be taken seriously. Everything is not doom and gloom!

wjc

• punkster says:

Good one Mike but it’s just too easy with this crowd.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Cal says:

At least wait for them to hit the ice, Timo. Or is this your dog days of summer warmup?

10. habsfan0 says:

This “alternative” view by the NHLPA is interesting and does seem to have merit. But, of course, the owners will have something to say about it soon. At first glance, however, things don’t seem quite as gloomy as before.

• HabFab says:

I have been working some numbers, looks like the NHLPA share drops to 53% for 3 years. I’m sure the sticker will be it going back to 57% in year 4.
      Second issue will be the $250,000,000 Revenue Sharing plan. Based on last season’s Revenue, that would equal 7.5% of each clubs revenue to be divided how?
      Third issue will be growth. With the increase from the new TV deals plus if the NHL continues it 6% average organic growth, this season will have a whooping 10% growth. That must have owners against a prolonged lock out plus the players share of that growth covers their 4% roll back.
      Still work and issues to be done but some room for optimism.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The NHLPA made no concession at all.

It’s as bogus as the owner’s initial offer.

And let’s not forget that revenue sharing to prop up franchises in places where no one cares about hockey is not desirable – at least for us Canadian hockey fans.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

I don’t think it can be done without some form of Revenue Sharing and how much do they care what us Canadian hockey fans want?
        Certainly not the Canadian players or the Canadian owners.
        Sounds better then the NHLPA (Schneider if memory serves me) 33% Revenue sharing plan floated back in April or so.

• HabFab says:

Taking the Habs as example;
          - new TV deal will give them 2.5% in Revenue growth
          - players share dropping 4% of revenue
          = 6.5% out of the 7.5% Revenue Sharing minus whatever % they get back from the Revenue Sharing
          - plus another 6% organic growth
          The Habs wouldn’t lose a thing over the 3 years from last season and in fact would still show a good growth.

• wjc says:

How do you know what was offered. NBC cares about those markets, nuff said…of course Canadian hockey fans could care less, doesn’t mean is it not important.

wjc

11. bleedhabs81 says:

TIMO?! Did you survive the storm?

12. SmartDog says:

I dunno about the rest of you armchair coaches. But if it’s me, unless something special happens in training camp, I start the season with Patches-DD-Cole as my first line. I have to. It’s the only consistent line the team has.

For my 2nd line I have Bourque-Pleks-Gionta which could be a good line so I give that a chance. I would focus on establishing Bourque’s role and let Gio and Pleks help keep him honest. If not, I’m into the trade market for whatever I can find that is better than Rene Bourque. Meanwhile I’d be asking MB to get AK46 back for a year if he can be had cheap. It seems pretty simple – we have 5 top 6 forwards. And then Bourque. If he can be made to play well, we have 6. If not, we need a replacement plan.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Having Bourque play with the line that has less defensive duties makes sense to me, clearly he was not doing well with that assignment.

• commandant says:

I wonder if Bourque had a minor case of Erik Cole syndrome going on. Erik stunk in Edmonton, but a huge reason why was because the team forced him into a LW role, a position he wasn’t comfortable. He was really bad there for 2 months. Finally he was put on RW, started scoring again, and was traded back to Carolina.

With Bourque his back to back 27 goal years both came as a RW. He was only used at LW on the PP, but was essentially Calgary’s 2nd line RW behind Iginla. I wonder if having him on the second line will just be walking down the same road as before, and if he’s not better off on the third line with Eller.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

That’s a good point Ben.
          I’ll reserve judgement until (if) the season starts, but I certainly hope he plays as he did in his first 3-4 games with us, because beyond that, he wasn’t too impressive.

• chanchilla says:

Moen could LW for the second line, and this way gio wouldn’t have to stand in front of the net.

• JoeC says:

JM, is that you???

Moan is NOT a second line player, please dont think that anyone cept JM every thinks that

• chanchilla says:

scott hartnell isnt a first line player either but look at the numbers he put up in philly.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Also, to separate Max and David doesn’t make sense, they’ve built a rapport in Hamilton and have chemistry together, they make each other more productive and dangerous. With them, 1+1=3, I don’t see why we’d monkey with that.

• Bripro says:

I don’t disagree with that, but it would be nice to have Pleks paired with some wingman who can be productive, and leave them there.
        With the return of Gio, let’s hope that it works out. I hope he stays healthy.

• JUST ME says:

I think we should learn by the experience Max and D.D. went through in Hamilton. The fact that they played down there for a good stint is paying off in the big league. So when we talk about player`s development it also involves the chemistry being created between players.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I’m leaning toward Eller for 2nd line duty and Pleks for 3rd. Eller seems to have a flair for finding tough wingers and is a little more “drive to the net” which I think compliments hard-nosed wingers (I think Gionta qualifies and Bourque is supposed to qualify). Meanwhile, we have all seen Pleks make something out of nothing, so what happens when that level of talent and repsonsibility gets competent 3rd line wingers … does it become one of the best 3rd lines in the league? That is what I am hoping and so would start the season thus.

• JUST ME says:

Not only are they line number one but all those crazy ideas about breaking them up would be an error to make that we would regret.I am a bie believer about the old saying : why fix it if it ain`t broke.

I only have one exception that i am ready to make if needed. The 9 games Galchenyuk should play with the Habs. I would play him on line 1 or 2.
      But hopefully the pre-season games will be better organized than last year . Veterans must be ready when puck drops whenever game 1 is played. We know who will make it to the NHL ,let`s not waste time with youngsters that will be sent down anyway. I think that appart recalls to replace injured players only Gallagher should get a legitimate shot at making it. And honestly hope there are not too many recalls to replace injured players. Seen enough last year.

13. shiram says:

Price in a new Under Armour publicity.

14. After signing Subban we need to start getting rid of dead weight: Gomer, Bourque, Kaberla, Webber and Diaz.

Way too much weakness on the D which is what killed us last year.

Emelin and Subban are great but still make a lot of rookie mistakes and just need a bit more NHL experience.

We have a lot of great prospects coming up (more than ever before) and could possibly get a real top one/two D if we threw one into a trade.

Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• naweed235 says:

y is everybody so quick to want to ship Bourque out? ya he had a bad start with the habs last year but it was under hard circumstances and pretty much the whole team sucked… I’d give a guy who scored 21, 27, 27 and 18 goals in the last 4 years another shot to see what he can do under new coaching staff

• chanchilla says:

If we get rid of 3 defencemen, that would mean we have 5 defencemen signed on for the season, if we get rid of 1 or 2 of these guys, and we have injury problems(which we have had consistently for the past 5 years or so) we are again, short defencemen. This post doesn’t make sense.

**im confused at why it’s okay for emelin to make mistakes as a rookie but it’s not okay for diaz who is also in his rookie season.
      Diaz season stats: 59 3 13 16 -7
      Emelin season stats: Alexei Emelin 67 3 4 7 -18

• JUST ME says:

There will be no move made this year Gomez Bourque Kaberle will all start the season with the Habs and at best may interest someone else towards the end of the season. Till then…

Excellent idea to give away our future players to get what ? 5 or 10 more wins this year. And then we are stuck with the same old players you want to get rid of but we don`t have much left in the farm team. Before we say it was time to think about it then why don`t we think about it now.

• HabFab says:

Sorry bro but not a good post. In fact ………….

• aj says:

Diaz stays IMO. Gomez, Kabby, Bourque should be expecting to have other news than joining the team. Even if #22 is an insurance for Marky, it doesn’t guarantee at all if he’ll be a good quarterback dman.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Telio, if you’re going to tell us that you host “The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site”, you’re going to need to do better than this.

You misspelled Tomas Kaberle’s and Yannick Weber’s names.

Your point about the defence is well-taken, I think every last member of HIO would love for us to add at least one defenceman with size and toughness on our back end. Problem is, these guys don’t grow on trees, and as you mention it would probably cost us dearly in terms of prospects to get one.

Also, just today Marc Bergevin stated in his presser that the roster we have right now is pretty much the team we’ll have at training camp, and that the trade and free-agent market is pretty dead right now. So the likelihood of a big transformation on our blue line is very small now.

———————————————————————–
      This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• Re the spelling errors, I intentionally spelled Kaberla like that as that is how they used to pronounce his name on HNIC back in the day (was it Bob Cole or Harry Neale I’m not sure). i always thought it was funny that they said it that way so it was a tongue in cheek spelling. as for the extra b on Weber, that’s a typo, I know how to spell his name, I didn’t realize this was an english class!!

it was a simple joke and a typo on an HIO post, please don’t take it so seriously!

My website’s quality stands for itself…I’ll let everyone judge for themselves…so far nothing but great feedback, I hope you like it too!
        Telio
        The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
        Twitter: @teliopost

• Un Canadien errant says:

When I say you can do better, I’m not referring to your grammar, although there is more to critique than just your spelling. Such as, you should really proofread your work before posting it. Don’t get in the habit of using ‘….’ everywhere for the heck of it. I know a lot of posters on here do so but it doesn’t make it right. It’s an eyesore and muddles your message. If you want to use a period, do so. Same for a comma. If you want to say “I could go on but will refrain from doing so,” use ‘etc’. Use capital letters. When you list players, use their proper spelling. If you want to riff on how Bob Cole used to mispronounce someone’s name, do so in a different context, your joke obviously missed the mark. Refrain from using exclamation marks, my Intro to Philosophy prof Edmund Egan told us that the only place they rightfully belong is in a teenage girl’s diary.

Presentation counts, especially if you’re trying to drive visits to your site to generate revenue or build an online résumé. If you’re not going to care all that much about your work, why should we?

What I was referring to was your poorly constructed initial paragraph that offered little insight or analysis and no evidence, and lumped in five players with five different contract statuses and five separate career outlooks together, with the opinion/suggestion that the Canadiens should ‘get rid’ of them. Not very illuminating. I notice other posters took issue with it as well and told you it wasn’t a quality post that offered much of value.

• chanchilla says:

Your website gives me a headache the way that it is designed. I’ve gone back a few times to see if anything has changed and just refused to read anything because of the layout of it.

• Strummer says:

I think its unfair to write anyone off as dead weight until we see how they perform under the new regime.
      Of course Gomez would be the exception if only from a salary perspective.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• chilli says:

This is why it’s really good that folks like Teliopost are not the GM of the Habs.
      Bourque came to the biggest sad sack team in the league to play 38 games. They knew they had zero chance of making the playoffs and he clearly didn’t care. I’m not defending his actions, he sucked, but he’s a top 6 player. Right now, he is better than Eller, Moen, Leblanc, Palushaj and Galchenyuk. So you get rid of him and Gomez – which of the above do you replace them with?
      Kaberle will lead the team in D points this year.
      So we trade who again for a real top one/two D-man? You do realize how prized they are right? Extreme examples yes, but the Weber/Suter deals shed some light on the value of a top one/two Dman.

Tre

• chanchilla says:

hmm, you think kaberle is going to be better than markov offensively this year? if markov stays healthy i really hope this isn’t the case

• chilli says:

I do. My buddy has been training with him this summer. He’s lost 15 lbs. and has something to prove. He thought he was gonna eat chill-burgers in Carolina to play out his career until he got traded to Montreal.
          Markov will never be the same.

Tre

• LA Loyalist says:

While I agree that we don’t have the horses to trade for a high-end D man (at least any we’re willing to trade), your post doesn’t allow for some other really serious variables.

1. New coach.
        2. Markov’s knees (maybe that’s 2 variables).
        3. PK’s progress under said new coach and hopefully playing with less pressure if Markov is keeping everything smooth back there.
        4. Emelin will be better. It’s a huge adjustment coming from the K and having last year under his belt will really help him.
        5. Kaberle is truly a wild card. Will he stink out the joint or play decently? See 1: new coach, same deal with Bourque.

If Markov, Kaberle and Bourque are all productive and reasonably consistent and healthy, we will see a big improvement in this team. If not, we will struggle mightily and MB won’t have much wiggle room without sacrificing kids.

That’s how I see the new season.

• wjc says:

Who do propose you replace the depth they represent, with? Great prospects need seasoning in Hamilton, not in the NHL under fire. Trading any of the them is nuts right now.

wjc

15. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I think that the writing is on the wall in regards to Subban, sad, if it is indeed, then I have lost faith in MB

16. Un Canadien errant says:

Guilty pleasure: I’m reading up on the fallout of Chad Johnson-MuchoZero’s spousal assault investigation on NFL.com, and they have the 911 call placed by their neighbour. Nothing too noteworthy, we see the system at work, with a concerned neighbour-Good Samaritan helping out a woman in need, and a 911 operator doing his job and asking questions based on information his computer prompts him to ask.

These scripted or flow-charted interventions are probably a godsend when the situation is tense or volatile, but they lose their effectiveness when you have a stable situation and calm, reasonable parties on the line, at that point the operator would be better served to trust his judgment and experience. Of course, he may not have that flexibility. His employers or more likely his employers’ lawyers probably decreed that operators follow the script strictly to reduce liability issues.

With the result that once the dispatcher collected all the info he needed and assured the caller that police were on their way, he asked him to stay on the line, remain calm, and that he would provide him with further instructions. So the first thing he was prompted to tell the caller was to advise the patient to remain calm and don’t move, which is good advice mostly, but in this case unnecessary as she was already seated, calm and cooperative.

The next piece of advice was a doozy though, as he asked the caller whether he knew how to control bleeding and did he know how to use a tourniquet. This for a laceration on the forehead. The call broke down at this point, the caller snorted and protested that this was uncalled for, and I stopped listening too, but it was a jarring turn to what was up to then a good example of how emergency services and citizens can be effective in resolving a crisis.

I haven’t got my Summit ticket yet, I’m checking the mail every day, but come October, if there is no lockout, I’ll bring my first aid gear to the New Forum, and if anyone gets beaned by a stray puck, I’ll be ready to experiment with a tourniquet application on a head wound. I can’t imagine anyone would object, even the patient after a few seconds.

———————————————————————–

• LA Loyalist says:

Just for interest’s sake, my wife is a criminal defense attorney and has had several cases where women have faked assaults out of jealousy or just to be bitches. Even if they recant later, it creates huge and expensive problems for everyone, and in the big picture, every fake claim damages the credibility of legitimate victims – we know a navy seal whose wife went after him with a knife and it was a huge mess for him.

Just a word to the wise, if things start getting that ugly walk out the door and go to a friend’s house or a bar where they know you (calm down, but don’t get drunk). Once the cops come, you will be in a world of pain, innocent or guilty has nothing to do with it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was careful to characterize it as an investigation, giving everyone involved a chance to be heard. I agree that we can’t rush to judgment in the legal sense, but he’s guilty of being an ass and not worth the trouble in Miami, and the Dolphins acted in consequence.

My friend and colleague and I have been running this prediction/contest to figure who would have the best season out of Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards and Chad Johnson, ranking them 1-5. I consistently had Johnson ranked last as we fiddle with our lists and update them as the news warrants and ping-pong them back and forth. The fact that he couldn’t produce on the Patriots with Tom Brady slinging him the ball last season means that he’s done. I trust the two guys who were out of the league last year more than him. The others have remarkable physical gifts and will be able to turn 4 or 5 balls into touchdowns this season that normal WR’s couldn’t, but Chad is very ordinary once he’s lost a step due to aging. His poor hands, attitude, concentration and football IQ are not a recipe for a productive season once he loses his burst.

———————————————————————–

17. Bripro says:

According to TSN990, Therrien will be keeping the DD line intact, at least to start the season.
    That should eliminate a clique of rumours on HIO.

Just finished spending a wonderful afternoon in my back yard around my pool with HIO member Shane Oliver and his family.

They are returning home to Manitoba after their holiday on Shane’s home province of PEI.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

19. Un Canadien errant says:

———————————————————————–

• Strummer says:

Looks like the players blinked first.
      They’re in a no- win situation.
      It must hurt to miss one of their bloated paychecks considering most careers are relatively short and the highest -paid guys are sacrificing millions when they forego a paycheck.

No details were in the story but it would seem their counter-offer is merely a starting point.

Owners have shown in the past that they need to be protected from themselves so 10 years before free agency and maximum term of 5 years on contracts would be a good start for them.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Bloated paycheques compared to mine, but they’re in line with the revenues these guys generate. A rigid percentage in fact.

The problem I see with term limits is that it hampers the competitiveness of a Minnesota or Nashville or Edmonton. Since there is a team salary cap and a maximum salary a player can earn, and that the standard NHL Player Contract eliminates creative ways to compensate players (apartments, houses, speedboats, stock in the team,…), how do they compete if every team is offering the same money and same maximum length? Won’t every player choose to play in NY or LA?

20. Andy and the habs says:

According to Brian Wilde, first thing out of Pacioretty’s mouth was “I wanted to do it but it was not available with the old management”.

• commandant says:

Thats a CBA issue.

It wasn’t even possible to sign Patches to an extension before July 1st, 2012. Not allowed by the CBA.

There are many things to blame Gauthier for, and I am glad he’s gone, but he never even had the chance to negotiate a new deal with Patches.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Say Ash says:

PG would have effed that up, too! lol

• krob1000 says:

I am sure that althought he contract could not be signed before that dya that the terms could have been discussed prior to that date…I am assuming based on his statement that the Habs wanted no part of even talking long term with him before the managaement shakeup. It also appears that given the statement “Max is one of the best players at his position in the league,” Bergevin said Tuesday. “We’ve identified him as one of the core players on this team and that’s why we made this deal. I think both sides were interested in making a long-term deal. It’s been a while in the making, but we’re glad we got it done.”
        that it was likely introduced very early in MB’s tenure…which started long ebfore July….that is my assumption anyway.

• SmartDog says:

Perhaps he means even getting the conversation started was not possible. Bergevin said it was awhile in the making.

Like “Hi Marc, welcome to Montreal – my client Max wants me to talk to you about something, got 5 minutes?”

As opposed to: “I know you have a policy of not talking contracts during the year, not talking to players in general, and not really doing anything until the last minute when all better options have been exhausted and you’re desperate to do something to look good, but could you put those bad habits aside for 5 minutes while I talk to you about a long term deal that we might do this summer?”

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• wjc says:

Oh come on get with the program, blame P.G. for everything.

The prospects coming up are not his doing. They just appeared out of no where.

wjc

21. commandant says:

@Chrisadiens, twilighthours and HabFan10912

I’d love to go to the Summit guys, but we’ll have to make it 2013.

I actually did really want to go but unfortunately the date conflicts with the Last Game Ever at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton for the Ticats.

Hopefully Ian will continue to organize summits, I’ve only got one “Last Game Ever” ceremony.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chrisadiens says:

Understood. You get a pass this year. You better come next year though! :)

Pops and I went to Ivor Wynne Stadium for the AHL outdoor game last year. Pretty neat place. Are they closing it for good after this season or are the Ticats just moving?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• commandant says:

Yeah they are tearing it down and building a new stadium for the Cats and the 2015 Pan Am Games.

The Ticats will be nomads for the 2013 season, its a little unclear where they are gonna play. McMaster University and Guelph University have both said that they can’t handle it, and would be a logistical nightmare.

They need a home for one year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• bleedhabs81 says:

Oh, Guelph would not be able to handle it, not if you only wanted a handful of people to be able to attend.

Unless they have done reno’s, the stadium really only has one side of the field with bleachers.

Fun fact for the day:
          My friend lost her virginity in the commentary booth…. ahhh, university….

• commandant says:

I think the idea was to take the field and put up a ton of temporary bleachers around it. They did it for empire field in BC when BC place was under Renovations.

Noone in the area seems to want to do something similar.

Games will probably end up in London at Western, is the best guess right now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

Landscape around the Guelph field would not allow even temporary bleachers. The opposite side of the field has a narrow parking lot and then a street, so I’m not sure there is enough footprint there to throw bleachers in. One end would be tough to add bleachers because of a relatively busy walkway for students from one of the residences, while the other end would take away a sidewalk and would make the stadium pretty close to the street again.

Quite simply, there is no way you could do it at Guelph. Their best bet might be to look at playing in Toronto for a season. The argument for NHL hockey is always that people could just take the train back and forth to games in Hamilton, so I suspect it shouldn’t be a big deal to go the other way.

• commandant says:

The issue in Toronto, is that with the Blue Jays, the Argos are hard pressed to make enough dates for themselves.

Scheduling might be possible but its tough…

Its closer than London though.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habsfan0 says:

Maybe the Ticats will play their home games at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo in 2013. I’m sure the Bills won’t mind, and this could open up the CFL to a whole new group of fans.

• habsfan0 says:

Who are the TiCats playing on that date?

• twilighthours says:

Suck it up and get your arse to Montreal. We said there was free beer. What else could you want?

22. calvee123 says:

Now if the Canadiens can come to an agreement with PK, this would be a great step in solidifying the core of players for years to come. I sure wish I knew what kind of numbers he is looking for. Does anyone have an opinion on this, term and value?????

Way to go MB, now get it done with PK!!

23. commandant says:

Interesting note… Hudon is one of a very select few Team Canada players who will play in all 4 games of the Canada-Russia series.

Based on never have been made a scratch (with the huge roster they have and guarantees to each skater to play at least 3 games) and the words of coach Spott who said the Habs got a huge steal; I think he’s really endeared himself to this coaching staff and has a good shot to make the final squad for the WJC.

I really think we did get a steal in the 5th round. I had him two rounds earlier….. what I wrote back in June…. http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/12/nhl-draft-prospect-profile-65-charles-hudon/

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s good to hear. Always nice to have a Canadiens prospect competing for Canada.

Would you say he’s been one of the best players? I watched Game 3 and Morgan Rielly seemed to be pretty good.

• commandant says:

In the first three games he`s been among the team`s best forwards.

He`s doing the same in the first period tonight. He seems quicker, which of course was one of his flaws. This isn`t to say he`s fast (he`s still not) but he`s quicker than he was.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

24. Rooster says:

Wow!!! What a deal! 4.5 million for a 30+ goal getter. Who knows how many he’ll score if the habs ever put him with a legit 1st line center

~Listen to the rooster! He knows what he’s saying!

• nunacanadien says:

Heck if Montreal pays 7 million a year for Gomez’s stats, geeze wonder what they would pay a real superstar? Like a Shane Doan….oh wait, they’d have to give away the new apartment complex they are building……

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Outrage! A PQ proposal would make it illegal for public sector employees to wear the Canadiens logo at work.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Summit News!

You should be receiving your tickets in the next couple of days.
    Make sure you check your envelopes properly for your game ticket and hall of fame ticket.

Game ticket, Raffle ticket, Hall of fame ticket.

We exchange your raffle charity gift, that you bring , for a raffle ticket, at the Baton Rouge Children’s Raffle. 3pm. sharp.

More raffle tickets can be obtained there as well. Let’s make this the best fund raiser raffle ever.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

See you there,
    Ian

So did any one asked why our glorious GM is not at all in a hurry to sign PK?

• Kfourn says:

3 times I believe

_______________________________________________________
      Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• naweed235 says:

yes and his response was: “What are we going to discuss on HIO if I signed PK already? humphhhhhh hhhhh cough cough”

Mother of GOD… he is of the armchair variety !!!!!!!!!!

• nunacanadien says:

Therrien criticizing Subban all last year? And Bergevin saying he supports Therrien’s assessment of Subban? Geeze, don’t you think Bergevin is on the hunt for Gomez Jr.? Trade a great player for a smaller mediocre player, typical Habs modus operandai these days. So much for Bergevin!

• H.Upmann says:

guy…. been reading some of your comments for a while… just wondering where you buy your powdered fruit punch- I’d like to try some to see what you see.. ;)

• nunacanadien says:

That’s an insult. Listen I called out Gainey the right way, and for that you bastards insulted me, and now you agree that Gainey screwed up the team. Maybe you are the ones who should stop drinking powdered fruit punch…..hmmm…..geeze, keep defending the team that came last because it was way too small, too soft and doesn’t have a good winning ethic. Read the news, listen to former Canadiens and you will get the picture. The habs are owned by an american parent company that is based in Toronto, Coors, and you can connect the dots…..oh wait, you can’t cause your fruit powdered punch makes you see the world through the rosy colored glasses of the former GM’s Gainey/Gauthier and soon to be Bergevin…..

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

According to TSN, when he was asked about PK, MB just said talks were “ongoing”.

• frankcasting says:

if they’re not sold on PK by now, they should deal him, he is what he is. Me thinks there are PLENTY of teams out there that would love to have him, idiosyncrasies and all – for Therrien to waste his (and PK’s) energy on playing My Fair Lady with him this season is not the way to go

Loving the Habs since 1965

• nunacanadien says:

Meaning Bergevin is going on to talk to other teams to see if they’ll take Subban on as Therrien last year all year it seemed criticized Subban……ok any guesses as to where Subban will go if he can’t sign here? Any guesses? Would that be a possibility? Somehow even with Prust, who is a mighty mite to add to the lazy smurf Gomez, and all the other signings are not exactly tall or big or heavy. It seems while Gauthier signaled the habs need to get tough, Bergevin wants to keep the Gainey experiment of having a small team going. Montreal Smurfs should be our new name,with the happiest clown smurf Bergevin, and the nasty smurf Therrien, and leading the pack of smurfs our captain Gionta!

• Bripro says:

He said that he didn’t want to impede the ongoing negotiations and undermine his agent’s efforts. He said there would be nothing to report on it at this time, and when asked all three subsequent times, he said the negotiations were ongoing, and there was nothing further to say.

• nunacanadien says:

Geeze, I wonder which Gomez buddy that is too small and too lazy will be signed for more than what Subban was offered in the same way we got Kaberle after we let go some great help.

28. flowerpower_74 says:

COOL!

GALCHENYUK FOR THE BIG CLUB!!