Gio’s debut has no fairytale ending

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta in action vs. Buffalo.
Phil Carpenter, Gazette

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Jacques Martin | Lars Eller I and II | P.K. Subban | Dustin Boyd

The debut of Brian Gionta as captain of the Canadiens didn’t have the happy ending fans hoped for Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens fell 5-3 to the Buffalo Sabres, outshot 37-31 by a team that only landed in Montreal two hours before game time. Indiscipline was costly – the Sabres scored three goals on the power play.

The Habs will need a victory Saturday in Quebec City against the New York Islanders if they’re to finish the preseason with a winning record; they’re now 3-3 after six games.

Montreal never led in this one, falling behind 2-0, rallying to tie it 2-2 with goals by Mathieu Darche and Ryan O’Byrne, then falling behind 4-2 before Tom Pyatt hit the Habs’ final goal midway through the third period.

Goaltender Alex Auld went the full game for the Canadiens, while Jhonas Enroth did likewise for the Sabres.

“Special teams often dictate the outcome,” coach Jacques Martin said, repeating a familiar refrain. “That was the case tonight.”

The Canadiens’ power play went 0-for-5, including another 5-on-3 opportunity. The goose egg ran the team’s pre-season record to three goals in 37 PP opportunities – ineptitude Martin attributed to never having both of his power-play waves in uniform for any of the team’s six games.

The Habs’ new captain? Gionta finished the night at +1, with two shots on goal, two more blocked, another three missed with one giveaway and one takeaway.

1. mrhabby says:

sd…the only item i agree with is OB…dopey and sleepy playing his way off the team…shame really.

2. Johnny_D says:

Wow. Halak had a great year, and play-offs. And I enjoyed watching it. But to call him our best player. Wow. Indeed, there were games where he was our best player, but then so was Cammalleri during some weeks, and Plekanec during some others.  HALAK is not irreplaceable (you do know what that means right?)

So please, rather than telling me to shove off, I suggest you follow your “best player” to the St-Louis Blues. I know I won’t follow Price if he stinks it up and ends up in another uniform.

3. terrygain says:

Not surprisingly, you don’t get it.  Hab fans who are upset with the hasty and ill-advised unloading of our best player  are upset primarily because of the impact of that stupid move upon the team. It’s the Pricebots who put the welfare of Price above the team. So shove off.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

4. mchab33 says:

Any one who determines a goalies worth in pre-season hockey isn’t very smart. IMO

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs let him go, Mayer’s about 6’1″.

6. linp says:

The purpose of last night’s game is to evaluate a few forwards and defenders. Unfortunately, none of them are convincing. Weber, Henry and Picard are all not quite ready. Maxwell played bad. Ellers, Boyd and Pyatt are set. Since MaxPac is injuried, the only question mark will be between White and Darche.

Agreed that Alex Auld is very average. Were you expecting more?!?!

7. AH says:

LOL, hilarious well written reply! Well said…some people on this site take themselves and their opinions way too seriously.

GO HABS GO!!

8. Johnny_D says:

Please, would all “fans” still complaining about the Halak trade by the time the season starts HEAD OVER TO THE BLUES BLOGS AND SUPPORT THEM INSTEAD. We don’t need, and never have needed, bandwagon fans that place the importance of a single player above the CH shirt they are wearing.

And please, will those idiots that boo-ed / chanted Carey’s name when Auld was having a tough time do the same. Do you actually want people to come play in Montreal or not?

Otherwise, let’s get this season started already so we can assess the full teams against each other.

GO HABS!!!

9. SmartDog says:

GAME THOUGHTS:

1. Based on last night’s game, I’d send down half the regulars and keep the kids. What a comedy of errors by veterans. Even Gionta made several (uncharacteristic) bad passes.

2. How valuable are Pleks and Cami?  Gorges, Markov, and Gill?
    Damned valuable. Even with 2/3 of our regular line-up we looked like
    plunkers out there.  Makes you wonder.

3. The most amateurish player by far though was Ryan O’Byrne. I figured out what’ wrong with him. His brain is too far from his feet.  Brain: hurry up! someone’s behind us! Feet: huh? O’Byrne looks dopey out there. He looks like he WANTS to play in the minors. I’d give him his wish.

4. Alex Auld. Classy guy. Now where can we get a classy guy who can stop a puck?  If the pre-season is any indication, these two goalies are going to be pushing each other to see who can get pulled the fastest.

5. Alex Auld II. The TSN guys were talking about how Miller’s back-up doesn’t see much action so you may not want your hot developing goalie to play behind him.  And I thought – Alex Auld is EXACTLY the kind of goalie you want behind Miller.  A good team-mate, good NHL experience, not going to win a lot of games but generally knows the ropes, and with no concern about his development.   And then I thought: what’s he doing in Montreal?  Is Price anything like Miller?  At least yet?  Clearly not.  We absolutely have the wrong back-up.

6. What’s the difference between the Habs and my son’s peewee team? Even a peewee team sometimes scores on a 5-on-3.

7. For good luck, something a little optimisitic. People chanting Price’s name. That’s a good thing. Maybe NOW I understand why we have Auld. Ah well… maybe it’s all just the silly season and the Habs will come together like megatron next week. We can always hope.  There’s that word I hate.

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

10. JF says:

I don’t understand what the point of last night’s game was.  Surely this late in the pre-season it was time to ice a lineup as close to our real one as possible so we could get an idea of what it looks like and what needs working on.  The indications so far are that goaltending is likely to be a concern, the performances of AK46 and Pouliot are less than convincing (although both looked better last night), PK and Eller both need some seasoning, and the powerplay without Markov will struggle mightily.  Not exactly encouraging.

11. solomio says:

See ya next year Mike. Habs will be better. ( cough cough )

12. nunacanadien says:

It’s still interesting that even with the pre-season well behind us almost, there is still comparison of Price’s performance before and a question of the future for the Habs precisely because Gauthier traded the goalie who could win games.  Although in return, when we praise Eller and Schultz or acquire better players in trade for them, we will have to remember the benfit from that, and to see if they were also able to contribute to wins like Halak.  The most glaring and obvious picture we get of Halak is holding onto a win, as opposed to letting the lead get away.  In all fairness though, sometimes it only takes one shot to not only deflate Price but the whole team, and there were also many games where Halak had the same effect on the whole team, but not necessarily the whole season though as like two years ago perhaps.  Last year at least Martin had Halak to fall back on when the annointed number 1 sat out the season mostly and Halak all but unofficially became the number 1 goalie.  This is suprising that last year Gainey and no one from the Habs management or organization confirmed Halak as their number 1.  The Habs although would take credit for his team work and work ethic and team play and supposedly because of the inspiration that players got from having Halak on the ice as a team player, that Gauthier is hoping to carry that on.  But with no team player like Halak in return for any of his trades or acquisitions, I don’t know how Gauthier is going to pull it off this year.

13. emann_222 says:

You’re right – he’s not going to Hamilton. But there are other forces at work causing that mistake. He’s been mediocre at best after his first 10 games on the ice as a Hab last year. Hasn’t proven, and continues to not prove why he should have a spot on this team.

If there are political reasons that he can’t go down to Hamiton – then Press Box him.

“his best game of the preseason” means nothing. SOMETHING (tonight) is better than NOTHING, which is what he’s been giving us. IF “his best game of the preseason” means that he actually stayed upright and got a few shots off, then I couldn’t care less. We need to hold this guy accountable. And I don’t care about preseason. His playing has been Lax since well before the playoffs last year. Despite his fiery start here in Montreal … come crunch time in the playoffs he only supplied 2 points in 18 games (2 assists) and was -5.

Even Mathieu Darche – who everyone wants to put on waivers – had one less point and played 11 games, which included a -1 showing. Plus he plays with a TOUCH more heart.

Don’t know what the love affair is, but it needs to end soon.

Thanks for listenening Bugs!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

14. mbplekfan says:

Some observations after watching tonights game:

We iced a very poor defense corps. Weber and Picard are out of their league, Henry is not effective with that much ice time, PK needs a veteran partner, Spacek looks horrible. OB is ok with Markov but not with anyone else.

No surprise we got beat with those guys manning the back end.

No Pleks or Cammaleri up front. Who are we expecting Eller or Pouliot to play with?  These guys are young and will rely on veteran skill players to help them elevate their games.

White should stay. Maxwell should not.

Boyd, Darche, Halperin, Lapierre…Who’s gonna score?

AK looked good. Eller looked raw but talented. Why did we sign Darche?

15. light_n_tasty says:

So, is that giant Missien guy still connected to the Habs, or is he playing basketball now?

16. Bugs says:

Missien (or whatever).

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

17. Bugs says:

First of all, he ain’t goin to Hamilton. You know that.

Secondly, the COACH says he had “his best game of the preseson” too. That’s gotta mean somethin.

Lastly, he may have lacked heart (preseason, ferpetessakes; he knows he’s makin the team), but he didn’t lack determination. He was there. He played good.

imo, of course.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

18. light_n_tasty says:

Is Mayer the one who’s like 9 feet tall or whatever?

19. HABZ24 says:

had enough of this kiddy hockey , ready for the real season.

20. light_n_tasty says:

So why are you linking us to the Ottawa Catholic School Board?

21. emann_222 says:

Gomes. A leader. A playmaker. Apparently part of Gionta’s (Our 28th Captain) psychic network cause they always know where each other are.

This guy is first class. Put up great numbers last year and was an integral part to our season and playoff run.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

22. Bugs says:

Seven million a pop, I WANT him to loaf in the preseason.

Seen what he can do. Know he can bring it. Doesn’t have to prove nuthin to me. Be ready Oct 7th is all (or whenever the first game is).

Don’t get hurt fer nuthin is what I’m sayin. Not the friggin preseason. Game 1? Ruptured traceideal ubulent? That’s fine. Might be worth 2 points. Just not the preseason where it ain’t worth nuthin.

‘Preciate it, Scotty.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

23. ManApart says:

No one has stated or acted like St. Louis won the Cup or Halak has won the Hart, because of the game tonight. Don’t twist things based upon people simply reporting what happened.

24. Bugs says:

I hear Boucher wants him too.

Hello!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

25. Bugs says:

Preseason ain’t about winnin; it’s about the kids showin what they got and the regulars gettin into the groove.

I thought AK and Poolio were very good tonight. AK laid down the boom on whatsisface and scored (yeah, yeah, but still, we all know the goal was good), and Benny made great plays, went to the net, and hardly went sprawling.

That wasn’t our PP. But I can’t disagree with you.

Sabres did look good. And Myers wasn’t bad as a freshman either.

The reasons you give for hating Kaleta are oddly the same I’d give for acquiring him.

New crowd chantin “Carey” to atone for those who booed’m, I reckon.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

26. emann_222 says:

Usually I agree with you Bugs, but the Pouliot thing … sorry. He may have stayed on his feet, and perhaps he had a couple of decent plays tonight, but this guy has to go. At least twice tonight, he had the chance to bury it from close in, and as usual – he can’t finish.

And if that was sometihng that we only saw once in a while, then I’d be ok wit that, but he’s lacked heart and determintaion since before the end of the regular season last year.

Time to pull the plug, and send him to Hamilton at the very least.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

27. OneTimer says:

Some thoughts:

- time to make some cuts? I think everyone knew the Habs were going to lose tonight, just from the line-ups. I prepared myself mentally for it, and I was at peace when it happened. If anything we found out who we DON’T want to play on the Habs. No Markov, no Hamrlik, no Gorges, no Gill, no Plekanec, no Cammy…ya. Can’t wait to see the real Habs on Oct 7.

- AK46 was somewhat zombielike tonight, but Pouliot truly is a black hole of hockey right now. Please turn it around Benny!

- Our PP has really been sucking. That cannot happen during the regular season, or we’ll sink.

- Sabres look pretty solid defensively. Myers is pretty damn good for a sophomore.

- Kaleta is still a piece of &^%$. I counted about four times he took brutally obvious runs at our players during the game (at least 2 on Subban, 1 on Lapierre clearly leaving his feet, which was dodged). Why is McGuire busting a nut over Kaleta when he takes these fuckin’ runs? I wish Alex Henry could punch his face in

- kind of a boring game, Habs goals were lucky, at least we heard some “Carey! Carey!” chants when the 3rd or 4th goal when in, that was good to hear in a strange way :)

Go Habs go!

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Quit trying to distract the sheep Mike, we all know Robert Mayer pitched a 36-save SO in Hamilton’s opening pre-season game and is going to be moved out soon so he doesn’t threaten Carey.

29. K-hab25 says:

I heard that only the goaltender played for St. Louis. The guy is a god!!

30. mike g says:

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to watch…

I heard there was a great game going on in ST-Louis tonight…

Apparently they won the Cup.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. Curtis O Habs says:

Gomez treats the Montreal fans to his unique style of shinny.  Again.  Thanks Scotty.

32. Willy the bum says:

Crap, I had plans that night, not knowing there was a game… and I forget to put my avatar for luck.

33. SmartDog says:

I think he’ll have to stretch to reach average.

Yeah I know, it’s only pre-season… I know, I know….

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

34. SmartDog says:

I dunno about his worth… but the likelihood of stopping pucks is pretty scary.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

35. LeeFree says:

Everyone needs to unfasten the wedgies from their panties in this pre season tournament. Combo’s, chemistry and balance is left up to the coaching staff to figure out; determination’s are not deciphered on final scores. But I would like to add my two cents worth on four players: Auld, you are permitted to play on the white ice. OB, I’ve seen better ‘Dmen in the ‘Q, and my interpretation of that goes well beyond these 6 games of exhibition play. Pyatt and White, you’re both solid, keep mucking away. I like what you both bring to the team.

36. Johnny_D says:

I didn’t ask you when you were born, old man. And quite frankly I don’t care that you’ve seen Maurice skate around in the flesh. A senior discount card doesn’t give you the right to be an ass.

Halak is not better than Roy, and for reasons out of our control, they also traded him. And you know what, if I were pissed at a goalie trade, I would be about that one.

But if you know so much, oh Great Guru of the Game Before It Existed … Tell us how to get a cup?

So since it looks like neither of us have answers for that, or is shoving off, I suggest you kick back and try to enjoy some games with the team we have, while you still got time.

37. adam76 says:

There’s an old saying among coaches that teams will play the way they practice.  That is, teams that have good, focused practices will play the same way.  Teams that have haphazard practices will play that way.  Given that practice is important, and the way and manner in which we practice dictates to a great extent how we play at game time, what does that say about the way we train for our work versus the way we perform?

38. adamkennelly says:

I don’t get it?  My TV worked fine – AK and BP looked terrible..actually BP was invisible and AK was only visible in his sucking it up out there.

39. terrygain says:

You need to upgrade your TV reception.

40. terrygain says:

Halak got us into the playoffs and to the 3rd round. He gave us the best goaltending we’ve had  in 17 years. No one is irreplaceable, but you don’t improve the team by getting rid of your best player for prospects. I was a Hab fan for 20 years before you were born and I’m not going anywhere  So once again, shove off.

41. adamkennelly says:

Did read a comment that said AK and BP looked BETTER last night then they have in past games?  I would dump both of them right now…this team is in huge trouble with those 2 donkeys in our top 6…plus Pleks and Gio and Gomer are gonna have back problems all year carrying these guys.

42. MTLForever says:

Penalties definitely killed us here, plus not capitalizing on our powerplays

43. mike g says:

Sooo….

I guess I’ll be back tomorrow morning with my goodbye post…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Mike please don’t…

You’re way to good of a poster to lose because you made a bet on Benny Poutine.

45. ManApart says:

You must have a death wish. Betting in favour of Pouliot is like betting against the Vegas Casinos.

46. mike g says:

I really don’t want to, lol…

But I’ll look like a fool if I don’t!!!!

Mind you Benny looked like a fool, himself, again….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Mike, the standard for ‘fool’ has been lowered so much around here that it’s lost all meaning.

Stick around, I’m sure the Commentariat will vote you a mulligan.

48. HFX-HabFan says:

Dude, please stay!  Who else will rag on th French media with me the way you do?

49. mike g says:

…………………………………………….

…………TA…………….BAR…………………………

……………………………………NACK!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are right!

F’uck the french media, I hate those Poutine’s with all my “art” !

And you know what, Pouliot is half french. I don’t care if he’s franco-ontarian, he’s still got a “franco” somewhere on his nametag.

If I don’t even like ‘em, I ain’t gonna rest the fate of my career on their backs.

Man, what was I thinkin’? F’ukin Jack Daniels in the afternoon, makes you think like a donkey!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. noelsroyce says:

Where is the “ALEX AULD SHIT THE BED” postings? I hope they come soon because they sure do show themselves when Carey Price lets in a considerable amount of goals.

ugh!

~Erin

51. ManApart says:

What did you expect from Auld? If you think Price and Auld should be judged according to the same standard, then why is Price the starting goaltender on this team? All I can say about our goaltending tandem is, Gauthier is a genius, no?

52. Everlasting1 says:

Halak with 30 saves tonight and the first star of the game.

53. joeybarrie says:

Our other cast-off had a goal too…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

54. mike g says:

Price didn’t even allow a goal tonight…

So, I think Price wins tonights battle…

But, feel free to try again sometime soon.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

55. ManApart says:

Yup, St. Louis won 4-1. Halak stopped a penalty shot in the third. D’Ags also scored for the Blues.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Against this CHI Blackhawks lineup.

Forwards:

Kyle Beach, Brandon Pirri, Ryan Potulny, Jack Skille (30 GP for Hawks 3 in years), Troy Brouwer (oh hey! An actual roster player from last season!), Viktor Stalberg (The Ex-Leaf!), Igor Makarov, Jeremy Morin, Jake Dowell, Brian Bickell, Ben Smith, Tomas Kopecky (Wow! ANOTHER ROSTER PLAYER!).

Defence:

Niklas Hjalmarsson (Hey, name we might know!), Jordan Hendry (15GP in post-season, no points, -4), Jassen Cullimore, Nick Boynton (3GP in playoffs), John Scott, Brian Connelly.

That’s HOF work tonight for the St. Louis Blues netminder…

57. Xtrahabsfan says:

OUCH!!! and so it begins…

58. Johnny_D says:

Honestly, who gives a …

59. nunacanadien says:

We now have a proud 3 year history of disrespecting our backup goalies (really our number 1 goalies) and we only need to remember the famous twittering showing just how bad a slump our number 1 goalie was undergoing (and still it seems) but who hopefully will snap out of it and win a few more on top of his losses to protect his record of wins.  We must carefully point by point, amass the win record of Carey Price, so we can continue to insult, criticize and disrespect the backup goalie who plays more often than Carey!

60. Everlasting1 says:

The thing is, shouldn’t we question the class and respect of the fans for shouting out Carey’s name while Auld is netminding? After all, isn’t he a member of this team? Where are all the denouncers over this disrespect? This is akin to booing regardless of how you rationalize it. Or is it acceptable due to the affects of love potion #31 impairing judgment once again? Fair question.

‘”We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

61. emann_222 says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself! Thank You!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

62. Everlasting1 says:

Honestly, disrespecting our backup goalie in pre-season? Some FANS here on HIO! Not a word. Can you say hypocrites?

63. Everlasting1 says:

Booing is booing, right? You boo a player, you boo the team? Shall I quote Cammy’s and Gill’s comments again re the booers as so many here have done in defense of Price?(which I never agreed with). No, I don’t expect you to sympathize for Auld because you’re just a Price fanboi with impaired judgment.

64. K-hab25 says:

You’re seriously comparing booing and jeering a guy after he gives up a goal in the first pre-season game, to chanting for the back-up when the starter is sucking. It happened last year to Price and Halak, so excuse me for not feeling sorry for Auld.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

The penalty kill was bad but let’s not forget we were without our top 4 defencemen.

Two players who don’t belong n the NHL: Ryan O’Byrne and Alex Auld.

Sorry O’Byrne fans, but this has to be the end of the line. He still doesn’t know how to  play in the NHL, after 120 games. It’s not going to happen.

66. mike g says:

Please add Benoit Pouliot and AK46 to that list…

As for O’byrne, yea he stinks. Really bad.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

67. emann_222 says:

Alex Auld doesn’t belong in the NHL? Please – he made some stand up saves tonight. He’ll be great behind Price. Sadly, the players out front – on many occassions – just weren’t there. If you’re on Twitter – inquire about the new hashtag #PuckMace. It was on our sticks tonight.

I’m not saying Auld looked great – but neither has Carey so far. It’s preseason people.

You missed the boat entirely whe you mentioned the two players that shouldn’t be in the NHL. You missed Pouliot. Another hashtag – #Waivers!

White looked great again … need to keep this kid.

And it’s past time for JEM to have his opening night lineup playing together. Get it done Jacques. Let’s not be going 10 games deep while changing our lineup as per usual (last year)

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

68. SPATS says:

Yep, you got that right, and if you read his Victoria newspaper story recently posted on this site, O’Byrne is living in a very posh neighborhood in Victoria and playing at Victoria’s most exclusive golf club. I’m guessing he’ll be hiring a realtor in the not too distant future. AHL salary won’t pay for the lifestyle he’s leading out here

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

69. CanadienBoy says:

Got to love pre season games !!!

70. Everlasting1 says:

Heard you the first time.

71. ManApart says:

Meaning what? it’s not like he hasn’t done the same thing against oh the likes of a roster containing Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Knuble, or how about a roster of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Guerin, Gonchar.

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Just reinforcing for people who don’t read every thread and might misinterpret what Halak actually played against.

73. SeriousFan09 says:

He had some help in those wins, much like he did tonight with a good amount of the actual St. Louis roster on his side against a practical AHL squad save Turco, Brouwer, Kopecky and Hjalmarsson.

A team playing around a goalie helps create wins.

74. mike g says:

Yah…

Then Claude Giroux, Ville Leino, and Michael Leighton showed Halak how to win…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

75. CanadienBoy says:

We won,t see the real teams till Christmas ,What,s wrong with you people’s

76. ManApart says:

We all know one player doesn’t do it by himself. Although, Halak came as close as one could in some of those games.

77. Everlasting1 says:

I’ll enjoy your ‘coverage’ this season when Halak does the same against the NHL’s finest.

78. ManApart says:

At one point, there is only so much one player can hoist a team beyond it’s capabilities.

79. SeriousFan09 says:

He was the MVP of the playoffs no doubt, but how often does that last with goalies? Cam Ward’s had two incredible playoff years, but he’s still struggled for consistency. So far Halak’s record stands at 1 win in a stacked contest and 1 loss in an even-up game in pre-season. Until the actual games are played and we see over 10, 20 games and the half-season mark we’re actually going to see who’s playing better when the NHL teams are actually skating.

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Why don’t you bugger off and do a St. Louis Blues blog if you’re so sure of Jaro’s upcoming Hart and Vezina season?

81. Everlasting1 says:

Pipe down ya parrot.

82. K-hab25 says:

Yaa, and take your douche troll brothern with ya!!!

83. blu3chip says:

Agree. Goal scorers and shot blockers are overrated. Who needs them when we had Halak?! Martin was just too blind and dumb to not play Halak alone against the Flyers, if he did we would have won the cup TWICE last season (Halak is too good one cup is not enough, so they have to give up the replica from the HOF as well).

For the team stanley cup photo, it will just be Halak holding one cup in each hand.

84. Everlasting1 says:

The one thing I’m sure of is that Jaro is and always has been better than Price.

85. ManApart says:

Some goalies have one or two great seasons and fade others last for multiple years, some never even have one defining season. Where Halak falls is yet to be known for sure.

86. SeriousFan09 says:

One thing I’m sure of is no NHL GM will ever ask for your opinion.

87. ManApart says:

Be sarcastic if you want, but we all watched the playoffs last season and know what was what. BTW, it was your supposed team that would have not made the playoffs, nevermind the thrill of winning the 1st 2 rounds (first time in 17 years) if it wasn’t for that man. Not very appreciative of your team’s reigning MVP it seems.

88. K-hab25 says:

Yaa, and take your douche troll brothern with ya!!

89. Everlasting1 says:

Clearly St.Louis GM’s opinion will serve them, and know a good thing when they see it.

90. CanadienBoy says:

Halak is good but never i say never again as good as last playoff why 40 + shot every games you and all the rest wake up ! Dryden , Brodeur,  Roy, average lest shot per game .

91. SeriousFan09 says:

Sorry, what exactly has St. Louis accomplished lately? If Ever?

92. Everlasting1 says:

You might be proud of the Habs’ accomplishments of the Gainey era, and fall for Goatier’s bs speech of progress over the last 3-4 yrs, but I have higher expectations.

93. Everlasting1 says:

Get off SF’s shoulder and take off ya parrot.

94. K-hab25 says:

Yaa, and take your douche troll brothern with ya!!

95. K-hab25 says:

Well, I for one I’m glad we have people like you to tell us where Price falls, even if you can’t tell us where Halak will.

96. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes because Gainey had so much to work with when he got to Montreal, half his job was undoing the reign of error and fixing the team’s reputation so we could actually get guys like Cammalleri to come here and players like Plekanec to stay.

97. OneTimer says:

Arguing with a troll? C’mon SF09 I look up to you on this forum, you’re better than that.

I know it’s tempting sometimes, but you have to resist the temptation to reply to idiots. :)

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Some people smoke, others drink to excess, I battle with trolls. I envy the first two groups of people sometimes, at least they aren’t losing bits of their souls.

99. Everlasting1 says:

Apparently he’s not better than that..SF was the troll here. I simply stated a fact and he jumped on it. And you can’t resist the temptation to brown-nose.

100. Everlasting1 says:

You were the troll here. Sour grapes for you tonight??

101. ManApart says:

Gainey did have a bad team when he arrived, but C’mon, we’re going on year 7, I think, and even still, a contender we ain’t. 5 year plan = bust (therefore) Gainey and co. = bust. That’s the way I and many others who want management gone see it.

102. mike g says:

Just having some fun with the preseason games, they can get really boring…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

103. K-hab25 says:

Exactly!! I mean Halak never had to deal with it either, back-up’s usually don’t. I mean before last season Halak was at best an average back-up and now he’s an elite big time goalie. :-) He never finished a year with a GAA under 2.80, before last year. At 24 years of age and in his 4th year, he finally had a good season. Now he’s “proven”. LMFAO!!! I love people like you that say “Halak has never not had a good season”, yet after his first 3 seasons, his #’s were worse than Price’s first 3 years. You have every right to believe Halak is better, but this BS, Halak was so good every year of his career, just isn’t true.

104. ManApart says:

What season did Halak have a bad one? When he was given the opprtunity to play everyday and be #1, I think he answered the bell pretty well. It’s not his fault he only was given that opportunity last season.

105. K-hab25 says:

Halak’s first 3 seasons he was 30-21-2 with a 2.80 GAA and a .913 sv%. In your own words, that equals good. Price after 3 seasons is 60-48-18 with a .2.73 GAA and .912 sv%. In your own words, that equals bad. Which brings me back to my original point, Price has higher expectations to live up to than this back-up, or the previous one. You can clearly see that Price was every bit as good as Halak in his first 3 years, with 100x’s the pressure. Yet to people like you, Halak has never not been good and Price, well has just never been good. It’s just comes down to peoples expectations, no one ever expected much from Halak, so he easily surpassed those expectations. Price on the otherhand, was supposed to be the next great Hab’s goalie, something only a handful of goalies ever have been able to be. He had no shot at living up to those expectations. Proof, like I said, is how you yourself view Halak’s first 3 years as successful and Price’s, as a failure, despite them being nearly identical.

106. ManApart says:

It’s funny, in your first post, when you stated Halak never had a season with a GAA below 2.80 before last year, you didn’t count his second season when he played 6 games where he had a GAA of 2.11 and a save% of .934. In your second post when you compare Prices first 3 years to Halak’s you do use Halak’s 2nd season of 6 games as one of the seasons in order to not take last year’s statistics into the equation. Selective statistics it seems.

In anycase I never said Price’s career numbers were bad as a whole. His first season was very good, except playoffs. His second was average . Especially the 2nd half collapse. Last year was a bad year because of his terrible win-loss. Halak’s rookie year is very comparable to Price’s 2nd. Average. Halak’s 2nd season was awesome but only 6 NHL games. So isn’t really a season. His 3rd was Good and last year was awesome.  So that sums it up.

Price has not been as good as Halak career wise, but has had 100x’s the pressure, True. That comes with being annointed the franchise and #1 from almost day 1. You are right about expectations (Halak surpassing, Price not living up), but wrong about me saying Price has never been good.  About Halak always being good, well, I was a little off. He was merely average his first season.

107. light_n_tasty says:

Why…bring…up…Halak…

108. K-hab25 says:

So let me get this straight, a 2.86 GAA and a .915 sv%, is “good”, 2.89 and a .906 sv% is “average” and a 2.77 GAA and a .912 sv% is “bad.” Wow, now that’s some funny s**t. You’re right, I didn’t count year 2 as a complete season, because it wasn’t. It was 4 starts, but it still doesn’t change that the 08/09 season was 3 years into his career. Halak has had ONE good season in his career, that was last year, his 4th season. Stats back up that statement. Price had a good first year and half, an awful half season, and an average season. The stats back up that statement aswell. So we have a guy who’s been average for 66.5.% of his career, and good for 33.5% of it. Then we have a guy who’s been good for 50% of his career, average for 32.5% of it, and awful for 17.5% of it. The real difference in this Halak/Price debate between you and I is, I think they’re both average right now, with potential to be good, or even great. You on the otherhand, think Price at 23 years old, has plateaued as an average to below average goaltender. While you believe Halak is an awesome goaltender on his way to greatness. One of us is a delusional fanboy and the other, is me.

109. ManApart says:

Career numbers: Price- 134g…60w…48L…18OTL…2.73GAA….912sa%…4SO

Halak-101g..56W..34L…5OTL…..2.62GAA….919sa%…9SO

There’s the numbers. Halak has better career numbers in every category (using win% for win-loss). There isn’t a huge difference, but there is a difference. That’s the barometer people use to judge a career, They look at career stats.

You are more or less accurate that their careers are the same so far as a whole. I think people are thinking Price is a disappointment and Halak isn’t, even though their career numbers are similar, partly due to expectations, but also because Halak has been getting better every year and Price definately hasn’t. You say both goalies are average right now with potential to be good. I disagree for sure. Looking at last year, which is obviously the most recent example of their play, Halak no doubt played on a higher level than Price. Halak was way above average, while Price was very close to average. So they are not the same. Price has never played at the level Halak reached last season.  Last we saw they were not close. So who’s the delusional fanboy who thinks 2 guys are the same even though the last full season proved the total opposite. It isn’t me my friend. Now the future is just about opinions. I think Price won’t live up to the hype, you do. I think Halak will continue on the patern of improving year to year and you don’t.

110. K-hab25 says:

I was pointing out, that the back-up (Auld/Halak), isn’t held to the same standards as the starter (Price) is. The rest of my post was in reponse to his earlier post, where he stated “Halak has never not been good.” Which is horse s**t, as I showed. Sorry it offended you. I guess I won’t tell you about Santa Clause then.

111. K-hab25 says:

Price as a 20 year old, 24-12-3 with a 2.56 GAA .920 sv%. Halak as a 24 year old, 26-13-5 with a 2.40 GAA and a .924 sv%. Price through his first year and half as a 20/21 year old, 40-16-9 2.47 GAA and a .920 sv%. Halak has never played 65 straight games at that level. I feel they’re both average, because neither has played at an above average level long enough for me to consider them above average. One season or a season and half, isn’t enough, IMO. Halak has not gotten better every season either, that’s a lie. The 06/07 season and the 08/09 seasons were almost identically average. Then he has one good season and to you, it proves he’s an above average goaltender. LOL, O.K. Anyone ever tell you your easy. You go ahead and drink that Halak kool-aid though bro, I don’t like sugar water.

112. ManApart says:

Halak’s last 64 games which is last season and playoffs. Check the numbers. Especially the playoffs, with the teams and the level he played at. Price has never been close to that. It is also very significant, that those were Halak’s last 64 games and you’re talking about Price’s first 65, which ended 21 months ago. It has gone heavily downhill since, which  brings up the serious question, is Price a flash in the pan like Jim Carey was? A very reasonable question considering. True, Neither guy has proven that they are definately the real deal, because like you said, the longevity isn’t there. As far as Halak improving every year, his 08/09 season was better. GAA close, win loss close, Save% 9 points higher and over twice the games. He had that great run to help Montreal make the playoffs down the stretch and I think if you ask anyone who saw the 2 seasons and knows hockey would say Halak was a better goalie in 09 compared to 07. But after what I saw last season, Halak was great and I don’t see why he would regress. This season will go a long way to answering some lingering questions about both guys.

113. habs03 says:

Pk was horrible but I’m not too worried about it, we haven’t had our best PK guys playing, the PP is something to worry about, our success has been around guys with a hard shot, Souray,Streit,Bergeron, with Subban this year its going take time to adjust since his shot isn’t that hard plus he is a RH shot. Notes like everyone might agree, Maxwell say hi to the AHL, and O’B is done, no doubt about it, Picard played better then him, and at age 25 he is done imo. And those bla bla Halak this Halak that, go to Blues website, cuz we don’t care, ya P.G. is an idiot, ya we kept the wrong goalie, bla bla bla, get over it or become a Blues fan.

P.S. no matter how much skill he has, you can’t win with a guy A.Kost on your team, and Pouliot gained 10 Ibs of muscle my a**, still weak on his skates.

114. Ayan_SB says:

Q: Alex (Auld) you heard some Carey,Carey Chants after you let in some goals.. What did you think about those chants?

A: Its great it shows that they are supporting Carey!

Say what you want about Auld, but that’s a good teammate right there.

115. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Auld is one classy guy. I have lots of respect for him.

116. HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed.

Now if he could stop a puck.